PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling crystal ball...

Southern Bison
11-20-2012, 01:32 AM
I remember in the late '90s when I was at NDSU, we would host a OOC game against a playoff team from last season/top-5 or 10 team in the preseason DII poll. It seems that in the past few years, we've had our FBS OOC game but then 2 "cupcake" games. Is the mindset of Gene Taylor and Coach Bohl to not schedule a potential playoff opponent for the risk of a "repeat" game in the playoffs?

**Yes, I know GaSo bought out and that we have Montana St. next year, but what about a H&H with a CAA/SoCon/PL leader in the next few years?

SamsRams
11-20-2012, 01:41 AM
I remember in the late '90s when I was at NDSU, we would host a OOC game against a playoff team from last season/top-5 or 10 team in the preseason DII poll. It seems that in the past few years, we've had our FBS OOC game but then 2 "cupcake" games. Is the mindset of Gene Taylor and Coach Bohl to not schedule a potential playoff opponent for the risk of a "repeat" game in the playoffs?

**Yes, I know GaSo bought out and that we have Montana St. next year, but what about a H&H with a CAA/SoCon/PL leader in the next few years?

Because those other teams are scared and wont come to Fargo. GT would take these options in a millisecond!!

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 01:42 AM

We have a home and home with the Griz in 2014/2015.

Southern Bison
11-20-2012, 01:53 AM
Because those other teams are scared and wont come to Fargo. GT would take these options in a millisecond!!

Perhaps you recall what I'm talking about...the OOC games 15 years ago were epic beatdowns of highly ranked teams and we were usually chanting "over-rated" by the end of the 3rd Quarter.

2012 OOC games:
Prairie View A&M = Massey 110, Sagarin 226, SoS
Robert Morris = Massey 93, Sagarin 224

BisonNation11
11-20-2012, 01:56 AM
With playoffs being the ultimate goal, ranked teams aren't going to want to schedule us for the fear of losing and coming up 1 game short of making it. Get used to seeing anyone we can pay to come play and get our backups some playing time.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 02:00 AM
You can't compare it to DII, since we have fewer regional options and the non-regional schools can just go play an FBS school if they want a big paycheck.

The extent of our non-conference home and homes will probably be Montana, Montana State and UND.

SamsRams
11-20-2012, 02:36 AM
Perhaps you recall what I'm talking about...the OOC games 15 years ago were epic beatdowns of highly ranked teams and we were usually chanting "over-rated" by the end of the 3rd Quarter.

2012 OOC games:
Prairie View A&M = Massey 110, Sagarin 226, SoS
Robert Morris = Massey 93, Sagarin 224

Yes agreed, but when you are DII or lower there is not as much of a rush or demand by fans to get your schedule squared away the year or 2 years before. And your format of scheduling teams NDSU played in the playoffs is the exact format that was used to get RMU into town. Prairie View was a last resort. Its not like they didnt try to get the Woffords or Towsons of the world to come to Fargo. And remember its not like Prairie View was begging to come to Fargo. They sat back while NDSU and SHSU bid against each other to bring them in. SHSU lost and was forced to schedule Incarnate World, so GT could have done much worse than Prairie View

Hambone
11-20-2012, 11:32 AM
You can't compare it to DII, since we have fewer regional options and the non-regional schools can just go play an FBS school if they want a big paycheck.

The extent of our non-conference home and homes will probably be Montana, Montana State and UND.

Actually I would bet you could get most any Big Sky school as a non conference game if you are willing to make a return trip. I would leverage the former ties with Davis and Poly. Also would be nice for you to get EWU on the regular season schedule as well. But there will be issues with getting most east coast schools to fargo.....

BisonCountry
11-20-2012, 01:17 PM
As a fan I would love to see it, but not sure if GT or Bohl really care to have an extremely tough OOC schedule with how tough and competitive it is to run through the MVFC schedule + FBS paycheck game. Keep in mind GaSo, Montana, and Montana St. home and home's were scheduled while we were in transition. If fan interest dwindles and they make less money on the cupcake games, then they might start ramping up the OOC schedule to fill seats, but right now they make same gate with Prairie View vs. App. St.

Hammerhead
11-20-2012, 01:34 PM
Back in D-II, NDSU could "buy" just about any team for a home opener since we had much higher attendance than just about any other D-II program.

Bison"FANatic"
11-20-2012, 02:02 PM
willing to make a return trip..

That is the hang up now isn't it??????????????? We want our home games and for now are willing to pay for it unless the price continues to rise but that also has a tipping point it may be getting close to it now. I see the prices leveling off as the it will start to shift to home and homes looking better some of the cupcakes will take the money and lose some of their bargaining power.