PDA

View Full Version : Do the Bison want the Barker kid from Minn?? discuss

moundbz
11-19-2012, 03:48 PM
Looks like their best WR. We could use a good player. Not sure where his head is though. I just don't know much about this story really.

KTF
11-19-2012, 03:54 PM
No, too much of a head case...

HandoEX
11-19-2012, 04:04 PM
I thought he is going to Emporia State. And hell NO! I don't care what Kill did, that letter shows that the kid is an immature punk.

bisonmike2
11-19-2012, 04:08 PM
Don't want the kid. Not sure how much of the letter is true, but to me he came off as a whiny bitch. Plus we have good receivers on this team, Brock just needs to see them.:hide:

Bison bison
11-19-2012, 04:22 PM
I heard Farley already offered.

They're a perfect match.

Bisonator98
11-19-2012, 04:27 PM
Kid should have handled it with the coach. No need to let the press have a field day. If he wasn't happy he should have aired his greivence with the HC and either accepted the outcome or quit and moved on, no need to put that letter out there on a public forum.

I wouldn't want someone like that on my team.

natstar1
11-19-2012, 04:32 PM
I seriously doubt it he came here for one season he'd be a distraction.

56BISON73
11-19-2012, 04:33 PM
Kid should have handled it with the coach. No need to let the press have a field day. If he wasn't happy he should have aired his greivence with the HC and either accepted the outcome or quit and moved on, no need to put that letter out there on a public forum.

I wouldn't want someone like that on my team.

Sometimes its people like him who make a stand gets the wheel rolling and other people start coming forward about bad behavior. Not many have the balls to stand up to the head coach.

HerdBot
11-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Absolutely not. 1 year of eligibility. We have a great recruiting class who will be redshirts next year with Dee Gray, Desean Warren, and Carey Woods who are going to be great. We have an emerging Andrew Okland. And throw in Smith, Vraa, Gebheart, and Moody and this kid wouldn't see the field. And he's obviously way too sensitive anyway. What a pussy. And I think he's less talented too. He would probably write a letter complaining about Bohl not starting him because he's a meany.There's no crying in football. Jerry Kill deserves better than that. Leading receiver on the Gophers? No I'll pass. I wouldn't even let him walk on. I wouldn't even let him mop the F-ing floors.

devin45k
11-19-2012, 04:44 PM
He seems immature, the way he handled his business leaving there. We do not need this on the Bison.

Bison06
11-19-2012, 04:47 PM
Regardless of the facts, I very much doubt any team would want this guy on their team after this. Obviously not a great talent AND off the field baggage. If his goal was to get on with another team he definitely made a mistake by airing this publicly, at least at this point.

It sounds like the training staff had issues with him as well. Good lesson for life: If one person has a problem with you, you can get away with saying the problem is the other guy. If many people have a problem with you, it may be time to look in the mirror.

56BISON73
11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
Regardless of the facts, I very much doubt any team would want this guy on their team after this. Obviously not a great talent AND off the field baggage. If his goal was to get on with another team he definitely made a mistake by airing this publicly, at least at this point.

It sounds like the training staff had issues with him as well. Good lesson for life: If one person has a problem with you, you can get away with saying the problem is the other guy. If many people have a problem with you, it may be time to look in the mirror.

I found it interesting that when the kid decided to have an MRI the goofs training dept scrambled to cover their ass.

Bison06
11-19-2012, 04:50 PM
I found it interesting that when the kid decided to have an MRI the goofs training dept scrambled to cover their ass.

Agreed, some of the facts seem a little off. It would be interesting to hear the other side of that part of the story.

But, from my experience with college trainers, looking outside of their own "program" for the answer to an athlete's injury is frowned upon. I have many examples of this from the NDSU training staff if you are curious.

HerdBot
11-19-2012, 04:51 PM

Yeah now subsitute the word "gophers" and "jerry kill" with "my former job" and "my former boss." This kid aint ever gonna get ahead in life. Good luck in your career after football. Schmuck. Hope you learn your lesson you pansy drama queen. A 15 year old girl wouldn't write shit like that. :facepalm:

HerdBot
11-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Agreed, some of the facts seem a little off. It would be interesting to hear the other side of that part of the story.

This kids isn't worth the effort. The Gophers shouldn't lose a minute of sleep over it. But for my own curiosity I would like to know.

aces1180
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Someone will take him, just not the Bison...Hell, even Jordan Schultenover got a chance to play somewhere else after getting booted from the Herd.

However, the Bison have had success with players who needed another chance (i.e. Pat Paschall)

Bison"FANatic"
11-19-2012, 05:11 PM
All I know is it will put a little doubt in a walkons mind and that could be good for us. Hard to be objective with only half the story but it will be interesting if like PL said other things start to surface. The no MRI is a interesting tidbit as usually they are done like handing out candy on Halloween. Big difference between being hurt and injured but there seems to be a lot of holes unfilled in this whole story.

As for him coming here. WR is tough to learn for a system in one year and you have to fit in well with a team emotionally. Good luck to him but not here.

Bison bison
11-19-2012, 05:19 PM
I can't believe it took us getting to the second page of the thread before somebody put together AJ Barker/Crazy Speed/UND.

Bison4ever56
11-19-2012, 05:21 PM
Yeah now subsitute the word "gophers" and "jerry kill" with "my former job" and "my former boss." This kid aint ever gonna get ahead in life. Good luck in your career after football. Schmuck. Hope you learn your lesson you pansy drama queen. A 15 year old girl wouldn't write shit like that.

I'm sure he will do just fine in life. He made it clear that his parents are pretty well off. 13 months from now, he will be living in the room above the garage.

CivilBison96
11-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Reading through all of his twitter feed it appears he was having "girl" trouble over the last week as well. What a great frame of mind in which to make meaningful decisions.....

NDSU '96
11-19-2012, 09:02 PM
When/If Bohl has a presser in the spring to announce Barker's intention to be a Bison because he wants to be a national champion in a program everyone knows is better than the goofers, who will tell Bohl he's wrong to give him the chance? Or will we read all about 2nd chances around here? I'm thinking the latter.

BisonNeil
11-19-2012, 09:04 PM
He kind of reminds me of Hakeem Bourne-McFarlane who was part of the immortalized 2008 recruiting class. What did that head case last, two, maybe three weeks?

SamsRams
11-19-2012, 09:31 PM
The staff will let anyone try out and if they make the team walk on. But from what I read in his manifesto it seems like he wants to go to another Big ten school and play the Goofs. he said since he is a walk on and not under scholarship he can transfer to any school and not sit out a year. not sure if there is a Big 10 rule stating he cannot go to another big ten, but as far as NCAA is concerned he can play anywhere next year.

56BISON73
11-19-2012, 09:35 PM
The staff will let anyone try out and if they make the team walk on. But from what I read in his manifesto it seems like he wants to go to another Big ten school and play the Goofs. he said since he is a walk on and not under scholarship he can transfer to any school and not sit out a year. not sure if there is a Big 10 rule stating he cannot go to another big ten, but as far as NCAA is concerned he can play anywhere next year.

He played this year. Dont see how being a non scholly makes a difference. But then the NCAA has some goofy rules.

westnodak93bison
11-19-2012, 10:33 PM
Sounds like a good scout team WR for our D to beat up on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SamsRams
11-19-2012, 10:46 PM
NCAA-Transfer-Guide (http://www.scribd.com/doc/12763105/NCAA-Transfer-Guide)

page 20 has what Barker I think is referring to. However is states

If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above,you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school and have never received an athletics scholarship

So I guess the question is was he recruited and what defines being recruited

56BISON73
11-19-2012, 10:54 PM

If you do not qualify for this exception due to any of the conditions in Subsection 1 above,you may be able to use the exception if you were not recruited by your first four-year school and have never received an athletics scholarship

Well done. Goofy rule found.

Bisonguy
11-19-2012, 11:03 PM

Or just look at the remainder of that exception [ 2012/2013 NCAA Transfer Guide (http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/TGONLINE2012.pdf)

If you have never been recruited…If you have never been recruited by the Division I or II school you plan to attend, you may be able to use this exception if you:
n Have not received an athletics scholarship; and
n Have not practiced beyond a 14 consecutive-day period at any school or participated in intercollegiate competition before
your transfer.

He can transfer anywhere that will take him, but if he transfers to a FBS he'll most likely be sitting a year.

perthbison
11-19-2012, 11:04 PM
but there seems to be a lot of holes unfilled in this whole story.
I was thinking the same thing. Doesn't pay to form opinions on this thing without all the facts. I don't think he'd improve us anyway.

SamsRams
11-19-2012, 11:09 PM
He can transfer anywhere that will take him, but if he transfers to a FBS he'll most likely be sitting a year.

I think the point is he doesnt have a year being he is a RS Jr. I am not saying I am right or wrong or he is right or wrong, but his understanding of the rule is he can go FBS and not sit out a year

Kermit
11-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Even if this kid is correct about the transfer rule, he may find out that the market is soft for former Gopher walk-on malcontents.

EagleBison
11-19-2012, 11:59 PM
Sounds like there is a disconnect between the Brewster recruits and coach Kill.

HerdBot
11-20-2012, 01:31 PM
When/If Bohl has a presser in the spring to announce Barker's intention to be a Bison because he wants to be a national champion in a program everyone knows is better than the goofers, who will tell Bohl he's wrong to give him the chance? Or will we read all about 2nd chances around here? I'm thinking the latter.

Hes less talented than our current receivers and doesnt know the offense. He was a walk on on a bad Gophers team. Just because someone played on a BCS team doesn't mean they are better than our guys. Hes a walk on from the Gophers. With 1 year of eligibility, there isnt one guy on our receiving corps I would trade him for. If we waste a scholarship on him, we may be missing out on a great player who will be here for 4 years

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-20-2012, 01:57 PM
He seems more of a drama queen then a football player

HerdBot
11-20-2012, 02:31 PM
He seems more of a drama queen then a football player

Yep. Football is a mans game. Its about taking your emotions and keeping them in check and using them to your advantage like a controlled rage. Not for players with the emotional stability of a 15 year old girl.

(In a girly voice) OMG did you hear what coach said!

Fuck no. I'll pass.

IzzyFlexion
11-20-2012, 02:34 PM
no
no
no
no
no
no
no

LikeMothers
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
This kid will find that many doors will be closed to him as a result of this rant. I would never hire him - I don't care if he's right or not. Perhaps it's for the best that he learns a lesson now about not burning bridges. More than likely, though, the self-esteem/you're-more-special-than-everyone crap is permanently burned in and he'll spend the rest of his life angry and blaming everyone but the guy in the mirror.

KTF
11-20-2012, 04:26 PM
This kid will find that many doors will be closed to him as a result of this rant. I would never hire him - I don't care if he's right or not. Perhaps it's for the best that he learns a lesson now about not burning bridges. More than likely, though, the self-esteem/you're-more-special-than-everyone crap is permanently burned in and he'll spend the rest of his life angry and blaming everyone but the guy in the mirror. I burnt my bridges when I was in my early 20's with a company in Fargo during my time at NDSU. I was then hired by a federal firm in the twin cities and moved there. Now I didn't post anything on the internet like this kid did but I do look back and think how stupid and immature I was. I have since grown up a bit and try not to do stupid things like that at all costs. Moral of the story... He can change and someone will give him a chance...(in the job world that is, football world he is done)

stevdock
11-20-2012, 04:34 PM
I wouldn't be surprised at all if someone does give him a chance to play next year though. If he has been a walk-on for his first three years and still not on scholarship (don't know one way or the other) that shows how important the game of football is to him. I have a feeling though that he just wanted to play for the gophers and get his degree from the U of M. Once he cools off I bet he ends up staying at the U of M so he can finish his degree.

heckler
11-20-2012, 04:59 PM
I wouldn't take coach kill either. Wait that's not what this thread is about?

Mr. Burgundy
11-20-2012, 05:18 PM
Guys....we don't want him, he acted silly, and will regret it, but don't kid yourselves. There are alot of FCS teams that will say they "did their homework" and will absolutely beg this kid to be a part of their program. Illinois State had 18 BCS transfers (I read that somewhere). Were they all a part of a church group? NO. Some leave for good reasons, some don't. This kid is probably not a bad kid, he simply made a bad decision. He ends up looking bad. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

aces1180
11-20-2012, 05:20 PM
Guys....we don't want him, he acted silly, and will regret it, but don't kid yourselves. There are alot of FCS teams that will say they "did their homework" and will absolutely beg this kid to be a part of their program. Illinois State had 18 BCS transfers (I read that somewhere). Were they all a part of a church group? NO. Some leave for good reasons, some don't. This kid is probably not a bad kid, he simply made a bad decision. He ends up looking bad. It will be interesting to see where he ends up.

Like I wrote earlier, Pat Paschall worked out pretty good...

SlickVic
11-21-2012, 06:38 AM
hes hands down better then any wide out we got lets be real here but thats besides the point...i agree completly with that fool tho and no one in there right mind can disagree with him...the last person on this planet other than a medical doctor from und i would want advising me on health related issues would be jerry kill...for obvious reasons...but that barker kid tho i read that letter and my first thought was how the eff was he admitted into a big ten school he writes at about the 4th grade level and secondly i i laughed when he put in there something like "my dads happy to pay for my education" lol...i dont care what you say if glen mason were still the coach hed have that program built into a respectable program by now instead its been in nothing but shambles since he left

HerdBot
11-21-2012, 07:51 AM
Like I wrote earlier, Pat Paschall worked out pretty good...

Paschall was unique. 3 years of eligibility and running back is a position a new guy can contribute at right away (according to Bohl at least). I can't remember the story but wasn't he going to Georgia Southern and then ended up transferring to a Junior College but never saw the field for some bizarre reason?

BisonTeacher
11-21-2012, 10:45 AM
hes hands down better then any wide out we got lets be real here but thats besides the point...i agree completly with that fool tho and no one in there right mind can disagree with him...the last person on this planet other than a medical doctor from und i would want advising me on health related issues would be jerry kill...for obvious reasons...but that barker kid tho i read that letter and my first thought was how the eff was he admitted into a big ten school he writes at about the 4th grade level and secondly i i laughed when he put in there something like "my dads happy to pay for my education" lol...i dont care what you say if glen mason were still the coach hed have that program built into a respectable program by now instead its been in nothing but shambles since he left

By this (see bold), do you mean using complete sentences, capital letters, proper spelling and punctuation?

Havent seen you here in a while slick. We've missed you. Punctuation and all. :biggrin:

westnodak93bison
11-23-2012, 03:00 AM
He will end up at UNI.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

perthbison
11-23-2012, 03:17 AM
.i dont care what you say if glen mason were still the coach hed have that program built into a respectable program by now instead its been in nothing but shambles since he leftI'm with you on this one Slick. They thought it was bad back then, little did they know......................

perthbison
11-23-2012, 03:21 AM
Like I wrote earlier, Pat Paschall worked out pretty good...Anybody know if Paschall was at Frisco last janurary? Just curious. He was a good quality back.

SDSUAlum08
11-23-2012, 04:58 AM

You do realize that Kill has been there less than two years right? He didn't even get much of a recruiting class his first year and took over a disaster of a program. Those kids were saying they'd never worked out hard until Kill got there.

I'm giving Kill three more years by the time he gets them back to a respectable team. Lots of work left for them and he's already taking them to a bowl (even though it'll be shitty).

And yes I'm a big Jerry Kill fan and Gopher homer.

Bisonguy
11-23-2012, 06:53 PM
By this (see bold), do you mean using complete sentences, capital letters, proper spelling(SERIAL COMMA GOES HERE) and punctuation?

Havent seen you here in a while slick. We've missed you. Punctuation and all. :biggrin:

You are missing the serial comma in your list. I hope you're not an English teacher. :rofl:

BisonTeacher
11-23-2012, 07:33 PM
You are missing the serial comma in your list. I hope you're not an English teacher. :rofl:

Im gonna need a second opinion there...I thought you didnt need a comma at the end of a list right before the word "and".

So the answer to your comment about what I teach....is no. :biggrin:

Bisonguy
11-23-2012, 07:57 PM
Im gonna need a second opinion there...I thought you didnt need a comma at the end of a list right before the word "and".

So the answer to your comment about what I teach....is no. :biggrin:

The lack of the serial comma is mainly preferred by the Redcoats and journalists.

bruinbison
12-07-2012, 10:06 PM
Ex-Gopher Barker headed to Houston.....

"has accepted a scholarship offer to play for the University of Houston,"
"Houston coach Tony Levine, a St. Paul native, played wide receiver for the Gophers from 1991-95."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_22140963/ex-gopher-j-barker-will-transfer-houston-brother

BlueBisonRock
01-16-2013, 07:06 PM
And it didn't take him long to make himself known to the community.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/187149571.html

CAS4127
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
And it didn't take him long to make himself known to the community.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/187149571.html

Ah, Whoops!!

Barker credibility = Zero

Kill credibitlity = sky-rocketing at the moment.

See ya on down the road, Barker!!

Goodbye!!

Gully
01-16-2013, 07:57 PM

Isn't that called an Oxford comma? Or is that different? I thought Oxford commas were before the word and at the end of a list of things and that they weren't really necessary....it's more of an old style of writing. Or I could be completely wrong about that :) I'm certainly no English major.

bisononce
01-17-2013, 12:06 AM
A period does NOT appear before the "and" in a series. To insert the period is, as they say, "archaic." bisononce, English major with knees still intact

EndZoneQB
01-17-2013, 02:28 AM
A period does NOT appear before the "and" in a series. To insert the period is, as they say, "archaic." bisononce, English major with knees still intact

Period or comma?

bisononce
01-17-2013, 03:23 AM
A comma; a comma. sigh.

NDSUBowler
01-17-2013, 07:54 AM
Isn't that called an Oxford comma? Or is that different? I thought Oxford commas were before the word and at the end of a list of things and that they weren't really necessary....it's more of an old style of writing. Or I could be completely wrong about that :) I'm certainly no English major.
Who gives a fk about an Oxford comma? I've seen those English dramas too, they're cruel.

TransAmBison
01-19-2013, 12:57 PM
Me thinks a period is responsible for all this talk about commas.

IzzyFlexion
01-19-2013, 04:29 PM
Me thinks a period is responsible for all this talk about commas.

I'm pretty sure that I picture you exclaiming this?!,;:,?!