PDA

View Full Version : Big 10 Expanding again?????

NDSUstudent
11-18-2012, 04:22 AM
The University of Maryland is in serious negotiations to join the Big Ten Conference, sources told ESPN on Saturday.

If Maryland goes from the ACC to the Big Ten, Rutgers of the Big East is expected to follow suit. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers would give the Big Ten 14 members as the league gears toward negotiations on a new media rights deal when its first-tier rights expire in 2017.

No date has been set for a potential announcement, though it could come as soon as Monday.

Maryland president Wallace Loh has been handling the conversation with Big Ten officials, a source said.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8644587/maryland-terrapins-rutgers-scarlet-knights-talks-join-big-ten-conference-sources-say

BisonTeacher
11-18-2012, 04:25 AM
Great. Two more teams that can kick the gophers ass.

Oh well ...the gophs are bowl eligible right? The bowl system rules!!!! Purple font.

TbonZach
11-18-2012, 04:33 AM
Go Big Twourteen!

North Side
11-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I am not going to lie... all these moves were interesting, but now its getting to be a little bit too much. I just want to see teams win, I don't care what conference anymore. It seems to be more about money and TV contracts, and less about really just playing college football. O well, money talks....

Bison bison
11-18-2012, 11:01 AM
I am not going to lie... all these moves were interesting, but now its getting to be a little bit too much. I just want to see teams win, I don't care what conference anymore. It seems to be more about money and TV contracts, and less about really just playing college football. O well, money talks....

It not only seems that way, it is that way.

56BISON73
11-18-2012, 08:42 PM

Its ALL about money. Has been for years.

NDSUstudent
11-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Maryland will vote tomorrow....Their sugar daddy wants it to happen.....

Under Armour founder and Maryland uber-booster Kevin Plank is "100 percent" behind the Terrapins moving from the ACC to the Big Ten, a regent told ESPN on Sunday.

The University System of Maryland's Board of Regents will meet at 9 a.m. Monday to vote whether to accept an invitation to join the Big Ten Conference, a source told ESPN.

Plank is "heavily involved behind the scenes with board members," a regent told ESPN on Sunday. The source added that several of the 17 board members were "miffed" that they were not included in the process until the late stages, so the vote could be close.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8649670/maryland-terrapins-regents-vote-big-ten-move-monday

NDSUstudent
11-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Now things are getting bizarre as Georgia Tech enters the fold as a possible expansion team....

But is it possible that another Atlantic Coast Conference school is also being eyed by the Big Ten? Jeff Ermann, whose Maryland.247sports.com site focuses on the Terrapins athletic program, indicated that his sources are telling him that Georgia Tech could be a Big Ten target.

http://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/index.ssf/2012/11/georgia_tech_could_also_be_in.html

NDSUstudent
11-18-2012, 10:49 PM
Is the Big 10 jilted that the ACC stole ND from them? If the ACC loses a few teams it could open up other ACC teams moving on the SEC....this whole merry go round might starting turning again.

Hammerhead
11-19-2012, 02:38 AM
Here's an Idea. Let's have a 4-team playoff in the FBS. Then combine the teams into 4 mega conferences that each have a 4-team championship tournament. Viola. You now have a 16-team playoff. :)

NorthernBison
11-19-2012, 12:49 PM
Here's an Idea. Let's have a 4-team playoff in the FBS. Then combine the teams into 4 mega conferences that each have a 4-team championship tournament. Viola. You now have a 16-team playoff. :)

I'm a strong believer that 4 Mega Conferences is the ultimate landing spot for Major College Football (probably 64 teams). They will have their own tournament format and tell everybody else to pound sand.

Everybody else will be FCS.

KSBisonFan
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Is the Big 10 jilted that the ACC stole ND from them? If the ACC loses a few teams it could open up other ACC teams moving on the SEC....this whole merry go round might starting turning again.

Big XII and Florida State have already talked, allegedly. Clemson and Louisville have also been mentioned to make a move to the Big XII.

BisonTeacher
11-19-2012, 04:43 PM
Big XII and Florida State have already talked, allegedly. Clemson and Louisville have also been mentioned to make a move to the Big XII.

Why even have conferences anymore?

Tatanka
11-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Rutgers announcing B1G tomorrow according to ESPN

Hambone
11-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Shouldn't someone be emailing Delany to get him to look west for expansion? Like the intersection of 29 & 94? Could someone post his email address??? :hide:

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 05:51 PM
Now the ACC is getting ready to make their move....

Jeremy Fowler @JFowlerCBS

ACC in talks with UConn, Louisville, South Florida and Cincinnati about 14th team to replace Maryland, source told @CBSSports.

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 06:00 PM
I will say if the Big 10 adds Ga Tech I will lose it, not sure why the Big 10 can't get over their AAU bias and bring in a school that can actually help out with football like Va Tech.

Tatanka
11-19-2012, 06:01 PM
Shouldn't someone be emailing Delany to get him to look west for expansion? Like the intersection of 29 & 94? Could someone post his email address??? :hide:you should really be charging money for giving out ideas of that caliber...

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 06:40 PM
New Big 10 Divisions....

Leaders

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

Legends

Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Iowa
Illinois

BisonTeacher
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
New Big 10 Divisions....

Leaders

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

Legends

Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Iowa
Illinois

is that official? Cuz I really love hoe the two new teams go into the Leaders and not the legends.

KSBisonFan
11-19-2012, 06:45 PM
New Big 10 Divisions....

Leaders

Ohio State
Wisconsin
Penn State
Indiana
Purdue
Maryland
Rutgers

Legends

Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Iowa
Illinois

I heard the BIG was going to make a new division for the newcomers called the Laggards....Somebody fill me in why they would target Rutgers and Maryland??? I would think Pitt or VT would be better additions. Are there some conference buyouts involved here?

BisonTeacher
11-19-2012, 06:47 PM
I heard the BIG was going to make a new division for the newcomers called the Laggards....Somebody fill me in why they would target Rutgers and Maryland??? I would think Pitt or VT would be better additions. Are there some conference buyouts involved here?

Good point...As long as they are making all these changes...how about changing the names of the divisions to something NOT stupid.

BisonAccountant44
11-19-2012, 06:51 PM

The B10 wants Rutgers for the NYC media market.

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 06:52 PM

Maryland will pay the ACC $20-30 million and Rutgers will fork over $10 million to the Big East(if there is even a Big East left).

Some think this part of a bigger play to get UVA and UNC. I'd love to see the Big 10 add VT but they aren't in the AAU.

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 10:10 PM
Now some rational expansion might happen...

Boise State, San Diego State and BYU have had conversations with Mountain West membership about the possibility of returning to the league, sources told ESPN.

These talks originated after last week's decision in Denver by the BCS commissioners awarded an automatic access bowl berth to the highest rated champion to the "Group of Five" conferences. That decision, in essence, put the Mountain West on equal footing as far as playoff access with the Big East starting in 2014.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8653727/boise-state-broncos-sdsu-aztecs-byu-cougars-talk-mwc-return-sources-say

Gully
11-19-2012, 10:52 PM
what a mess

NDSUstudent
11-19-2012, 10:55 PM
Coach K is concerned....

When a guest asked Krzyzewski if he'd prefer Louisville or Connecticut to replace Maryland, which announced its departure for the Big Ten on Monday, Krzyzewski said before he could answer that he'd wanted to get everyone in a room and "close ranks and see who's still here."

Krzyzewski added: "I think there could still be some movement in our conference."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/pete_thamel/11/19/Coach-Krzyzewski-Maryland/index.html#ixzz2Chw9BMds

bisonaudit
11-20-2012, 02:46 AM
The B10 wants Rutgers for the NYC media market.

Both Rutgers and Maryland are all about TV markets for the Big Ten. Maryland needs the Big Ten's money, the athletic department has been so hard up the last few years that they've cut 7 sports. No word where they're getting the buyout funds from but I wouldn't be surprised if its a deep pocket or two filled with UnderArmour money.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 03:13 AM
I've heard that the Maryland legal team thinks they can get the buyout down to $20 million. When they put the $50 million buyout in place only Maryland and FSU voted against it.

bisonaudit
11-20-2012, 03:19 AM
I've heard that the Maryland legal team thinks they can get the buyout down to $20 million. When they put the $50 million buyout in place only Maryland and FSU voted against it.

I heard this on local DC radio tonight. But they just threw it out there with no indication what their argument for a smaller buyout would be.

td577
11-20-2012, 03:24 AM
Maryland was cutting some sports because they couldn't afford them. Now a possible $20-$50m payout to simply leave a conference? Considering how crazy that amount is, there must be some serious money in the big ten. When do we apply?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 03:29 AM
Yeah I'm not sure what their argument is either, that said I'm hearing the Big 10 TV deal could be worth as much as $35 million per school which is almost double what the ACC TV deal was so they could probably break the $50 million into payments and still come out ahead for the next few years.

bisonaudit
11-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Yeah I'm not sure what their argument is either, that said I'm hearing the Big 10 TV deal could be worth as much as $35 million per school which is almost double what the ACC TV deal was so they could probably break the $50 million into payments and still come out ahead for the next few years.

I heard $30 million per team this morning on the way in. All speculation at this point, but the talk is that News Corp (who owns half of the Big Ten Network) is investing in the YES Network and has a path to 80% ownership of the Yankees broadcaster. According to the Wall Street Journal (also a News Corp. property) the long-term plan is to bundle News Corp.'s cable offerings and get them all included in the basic package rather than a premium tier.

Also rumblings that the Big 10 is not going to stop at 14 teams and they're still looking East.

BisonTeacher
11-20-2012, 11:56 AM
But does Maryland even have a team of teh hockies?

heckler
11-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Where's our invite to the MWC?

Hammersmith
11-20-2012, 03:36 PM
I heard $30 million per team this morning on the way in. All speculation at this point, but the talk is that News Corp (who owns half of the Big Ten Network) is investing in the YES Network and has a path to 80% ownership of the Yankees broadcaster. According to the Wall Street Journal (also a News Corp. property) the long-term plan is to bundle News Corp.'s cable offerings and get them all included in the basic package rather than a premium tier.

Also rumblings that the Big 10 is not going to stop at 14 teams and they're still looking East.
This is a no-brainer. The Big Ten(and Pac12 and probably SEC) are going to get to 16 even if they have to keep doing it two teams at a time. I wouldn't even be surprised at a little horse trading between conferences when they all hit 16 just to make a little more sense of things. I'd be even less surprised if each of the four super-conferences don't end up covering at least four geographic regions* instead of the traditional one or two.

*northeast, mid-Atlantic, southeast, midwest, mountain, pacific & Texas

bisonmike2
11-20-2012, 03:56 PM
No expanded football playoffs because the "student-athletes" can't possibly expect to handle the extra weeks of practice that late into the semester (never-mind that every other division in every other sport already does it) but having kids play cross country for intra-conference games on a weekday is a good thing. Okay, sounds good to me.

Also, Maryland and Rutgers? I'll pass.

mebisonII
11-20-2012, 04:11 PM
I've been talking to an Iowa friend of mine about his take on this, and as a fan, he's not impressed. Obviously its being done for TV market share, but he has no interest in playing either team and doesn't think they bring anything interesting to the table, athletically. His current hope is that the Big 10 will add two more teams after this, into the leaders division, and move WI into the legends division and then you'd have a bunch of (geographically) close, interesting games in that division (Iowa, Wisconsin, Nebraska, Minnesota, and Illinios).

DePereBisonFan
11-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Where's our invite to the MWC?

This is exactly what I'm thinking...though I hate to admit it and hope for it.

344Johnson
11-20-2012, 05:35 PM
Rutgers should add a hockey team. Really excited to see how the B1g Hockies turns out.

BisonTeacher
11-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Obviously its being done for TV market share

They are only doing this for financial reasons? Im shocked.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 06:22 PM
The Big 10 is definitely not done, they are either trying to smoke ND out or they want UVA and UNC.

mebisonII
11-20-2012, 06:38 PM
The Big 10 is definitely not done, they are either trying to smoke ND out or they want UVA and UNC.

It's kind of funny...if they keep adding Eastern teams and eventually balance divisions geographically, they'll end up with all the old big 10 together again, just swapping Penn St. for Nebraska. Not that they'd do that, because I'm sure they want to keep the eastern seaborn invested in both divisions.

The_Sicatoka
11-20-2012, 09:24 PM
With Maryland and Rutgers they get two prized television markets, namely NYC/Newark and Baltimore/Washington. </cha-ching!>

So, what are the other "cherry" television markets they could legitimately get into?

How about Boston with Boston College (if you're already picking the ACC)?
Atlanta via Georgia Tech?

Of course there's another "ultimate" prize, called Texas. But which of the hangers-on of UT do you have to take with them (Oklahoma, OSU, Texas Tech) politically?

They don't need Notre Dame because they already have Chicagoland.

NDSU_grad
11-20-2012, 09:31 PM
With Maryland and Rutgers they get two prized television markets, namely NYC/Newark and Baltimore/Washington. </cha-ching!>

So, what are the other "cherry" television markets they could legitimately get into?

How about Boston with Boston College (if you're already picking the ACC)?
Atlanta via Georgia Tech?

Of course there's another "ultimate" prize, called Texas. But which of the hangers-on of UT do you have to take with them (Oklahoma, OSU, Texas Tech) politically?

They don't need Notre Dame because they already have Chicagoland.
But I think (jmo obviously) that the mindset with Notre Dame is they bring a national tv audience.

The_Sicatoka
11-20-2012, 09:56 PM
But I think (jmo obviously) that the mindset with Notre Dame is they bring a national tv audience.

I can not disagree with that statement, but the BTN is about getting onto cable systems (and that $1.25/month fee). Will the Phoenix or Dallas or Houston (or other major TV markets that BTN isn't in now) cable providers add BTN to those markets because of Notre Dame? Doubtful.

NDSUstudent
11-20-2012, 10:35 PM
I think the UNC/UVA is where the Big 10 is going. Doesn't add any massive TV markets like Atlanta or Boston, but it strengthens the conference and UNC hoops does add value to BTN. If you look at the Big 10 they are great academic fits as well. Plus it keeps the whole contiguous state thing going.

Obviously Texas could change the dynamic of all of this but I'm not sure if they will try to move on or try to expand the conference whatever happens they won't be content with the status quo for much longer. Aggie is stealing their thunder on the gridiron and LFN isn't exactly thriving.

That said with the Big 12 grant of rights if they leave, they would need to destablize the conference and that would mean a number of schools would be going with them.

bisonmike2
11-21-2012, 03:30 PM
I think the UNC/UVA is where the Big 10 is going. Doesn't add any massive TV markets like Atlanta or Boston, but it strengthens the conference and UNC hoops does add value to BTN. If you look at the Big 10 they are great academic fits as well. Plus it keeps the whole contiguous state thing going.

Obviously Texas could change the dynamic of all of this but I'm not sure if they will try to move on or try to expand the conference whatever happens they won't be content with the status quo for much longer. Aggie is stealing their thunder on the gridiron and LFN isn't exactly thriving.

That said with the Big 12 grant of rights if they leave, they would need to destablize the conference and that would mean a number of schools would be going with them.

I'm only going to be satisfied whey they create a gigantic 119 team super conference and the regular season consist of one big playoff tournament.

Bison bison
11-21-2012, 03:33 PM
It's all about $$$.

UVA brings few tv sets. Same with UNC.

The Big 10(,000) could add KU in a heart beat if it was interested in good basketball.

The_Sicatoka
11-21-2012, 04:24 PM
It's all about $$$.

UVA brings few tv sets. Same with UNC.

They don't need UVA. They got the DC and Baltimore television markets with Maryland.
And there are better options than UNC when it comes to cable subscribers.

Largest US Television Markets
1. NYC -- and now you know why Rutgers
2. LA -- PAC-12 territory
3. Chicago -- Illinois and Northwestern
4. Philly -- Penn State
5. Dallas --
6. San Fran -- PAC-12 territory
7. Boston
8. Atlanta
9. Wash DC -- and now you know why Maryland
10. Houston
11. Detroit -- Mich, Mich State, etc ...

If you get U of Texas you get 5 and 11 (Dallas and Houston).
If you peel off Boston College and G'Tech you get 7 and 8 (Boston and Atlanta).

Based on "television sets" (aka money) those are my guesses for the next targets of the B1G*.

*That B1G logo is looking more and more like B16 every day. ;)

Bison bison
11-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I agree 110% on markets.

Texas is the only one who actually dominates the market. Of course, Maryland and Rutgers don't either.

Whatever New England and Southeastern team can join the big ten should jump on it.

NDSUstudent
11-21-2012, 06:16 PM
I agree 110% on markets.

Texas is the only one who actually dominates the market. Of course, Maryland and Rutgers don't either.

Whatever New England and Southeastern team can join the big ten should jump on it.

I don't think it matters with Rutgers, Fox(who runs the BTN) bought a big stake in the YES network so if people in NY want to watch Yankee baseball they'll be paying for Rutgers and the BTN.

Maryland was the easiest ACC school to swipe, I'm guessing the Big 10 hopes other leagues start poaching the ACC as well.

Bison bison
11-21-2012, 06:24 PM
http://frankthetank.wordpress.com/2010/04/19/the-value-of-expansion-candidates-to-the-big-ten-network/

NDSUstudent
11-21-2012, 06:26 PM
They don't need UVA. They got the DC and Baltimore television markets with Maryland.

4. Philly -- Penn State
5. Dallas --
7. Boston
8. Atlanta
10. Houston

Based on "television sets" (aka money) those are my guesses for the next targets of the B1G*.

Texas would be the big add but due to the whole Big 12 grant of rights they are basically untouchable unless 8 members decide to dissolve it. I think they'll try to poach ACC teams now.

If the Big 10 adds UNC they bring in Charlotte(one of the country's fastest growing markets) and Raleigh-Durham(another fast growing city), that equals Atlanta. Plus UNC hoops would be a nice feather for BTN's cap. I think UVA is a package deal with UNC but really both schools gives the B10 the mid-Atlantic and it adds two schools that are perfect academic fits. Plus they keep the Big 10 in contiguous states and expands their presence in the south which is Delany's goal.

The Big 10 will try to add something beyond markets with the next round of expansion. ND would be the best option but UNC hoops and a bigger southern presence is a nice consolation prize.

tony
11-21-2012, 07:03 PM
Rutgers is nothing to NYC - nothing.

What the Big 10 will get is New Jersey - I see a lot of people with the Rutger R on their cars.

Greenie
11-21-2012, 07:08 PM
They need to be on this list too... https://www.aau.edu/about/article.aspx?id=5476

AAU + Big TV market in eastern or central time zones = B1G targeted school

All the B1G schools are AAU members (except Nebraska - they got 'kicked out' in 2011 when AAU stopped considering the health science campus as a separate entity from University of Nebraska). Their current chancellor doesn't believe they would have got into the B1G if they weren't an AAU at the time of invitation.

BCS/AAU schools in the eastern or central time zone that are not currently in the B1G:
Duke
Georgia Tech
Virginia
Iowa State
Texas A&M
Florida
Kansas
Missouri
North Carolina
Pittsburgh
Texas
Vanderbilt

Bison bison
11-21-2012, 07:09 PM
Even with Maryland they have to build the market.

I don't think it will be that tough. NYC attracts nut jobs from everywhere (is that too subtle?). Big Ten grads and football fans will make their way to NJ to watch Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska play.

In other words, the Big Ten is putting these schools on the map.

TheBisonator
11-21-2012, 11:47 PM

4. Philly -- Penn State
5. Dallas --
7. Boston
8. Atlanta
10. Houston

That may be the plan. Their rebranding also includes a name change, and they want to be the first 16-team superconference. They will be called the Big Sixteen (B16)

td577
11-22-2012, 12:32 AM
They would have all of nd if they bring in the Bison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DePereBisonFan
11-22-2012, 01:52 AM
That may be the plan. Their rebranding also includes a name change, and they want to be the first 16-team superconference. They will be called the Big Sixteen (B16)

B1G looks more like a B with a '16' after it anyway, so they probably won't need a new logo...

SlickVic
11-22-2012, 06:41 AM
ohio state would mop the floor with nd from everything ive seen i dont care what you say big 10s been garbage but so has college football the last few seasons so who cares id bet alot of money osu would beat alabama or anybody bunch of bs they cant play for all them tostitos

silkamilkamonico
11-23-2012, 10:22 PM
ohio state would mop the floor with nd from everything ive seen i dont care what you say big 10s been garbage but so has college football the last few seasons so who cares id bet alot of money osu would beat alabama or anybody bunch of bs they cant play for all them tostitos

OSU should have thought about that last year when they chose to play in the lowly Gator Bowl last year. If they would have accepted their punishment last year they could very well have been bowl eligible this year. OSU = dumbest administration and fanbase out there.

And LMAOcopter at OSU, or any Big 10 football beating any of the SEC big dogs.

Big 10 is so far behind in terms of the elite of the power conferences, probably the 4th best conference out there. And doesn't look like it will catch up any time soon.

NDSUstudent
11-24-2012, 04:56 AM
Hearing rumblings that the ACC might add UConn, Cincy and Louisville.

That would force the Big East to split.

56BISON73
11-24-2012, 05:07 AM
http://www.eersauthority.com/expansi...-on-the-brink/

Pretty interesting and wild.

Big 10 adds: UVA, Georgia Tech and UNC.

SEC adds NC State & Virginia Tech

Big 12 adds FSU, Clemson, Louisville , and Miami.

Left out: Pitt, Boston College, Duke, Wake, Syracuse

http://www.eersauthority.com/expansi...thout-a-fight

DePereBisonFan
11-24-2012, 08:24 PM

wow.......

BisonTeacher
11-24-2012, 08:28 PM

Thats awesome...lol how much did the u of m pay to get out of playing unc? Now they may have to play them anyway. Facepalm!

NDSUstudent
11-28-2012, 03:39 AM
ACC presidents and chancellors will participate in a 7 a.m. teleconference Wednesday and then cast votes on the league’s expansion candidates, multiple sources told ACCSports.com, with Louisville the most likely school to receive an invitation.

According to conference bylaws, an individual expansion candidate must receive at least 75 percent of the vote for approval.

http://www.accsports.com/blogs/david-glenn/2012112714123/acc-will-vote-on-expansion-wednesday-morning.php

onbison09
11-28-2012, 05:19 AM
Please make it stop :facepalm:

SamsRams
11-28-2012, 06:04 AM
man I hope Boise and SDSU get their poop in a group and come back to the MWC!!

SlickVic
11-28-2012, 06:22 AM
OSU should have thought about that last year when they chose to play in the lowly Gator Bowl last year. If they would have accepted their punishment last year they could very well have been bowl eligible this year. OSU = dumbest administration and fanbase out there.

And LMAOcopter at OSU, or any Big 10 football beating any of the SEC big dogs.

Big 10 is so far behind in terms of the elite of the power conferences, probably the 4th best conference out there. And doesn't look like it will catch up any time soon.

eff that big ten was built ford tuff but srsly big 12 joke acc joke pac 12 decent sec decent nd decent...i cant remember the last time i whatched so little college football the last 2 or so years just been garbage un whatchable

EndZoneQB
11-28-2012, 02:20 PM
eff that big ten was built ford tuff but srsly big 12 joke acc joke pac 12 decent sec decent nd decent...i cant remember the last time i whatched so little college football the last 2 or so years just been garbage un whatchable

I agree. I have been so tuned out of the BCS/FBS picture the last two years, it's unreal. It probably doesn't help that NDSU has been dominating the last couple of years so my attention is focused on them...but still.

KSBisonFan
11-28-2012, 05:50 PM
Well, today it's Louisville joining the ACC and Middle Tennessee is leaving the Sun Belt for Conference USA. Big XII dropped the ball on adding Louisville, imo.

Bison bison
11-28-2012, 05:52 PM
That's first time I've been surprised by conference realignment. It's usually so logical, almost mechanical....

NDSUstudent
11-28-2012, 06:16 PM
Well, today it's Louisville joining the ACC and Middle Tennessee is leaving the Sun Belt for Conference USA. Big XII dropped the ball on adding Louisville, imo.

FAU will also be joining CUSA but this probably will also mean the Sun Belt rescues New Mexico State or do they grab FCS schools?

Bison bison
11-28-2012, 06:20 PM
I heard that UND is so pissed about Denver that they're going to join the Sun Belt.

WYOBISONMAN
11-28-2012, 11:33 PM
man I hope Boise and SDSU get their poop in a group and come back to the MWC!!

But NOT BYU.......I want BYU to rot in independent HELL!!!!

goldenshower
11-29-2012, 01:40 AM
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/8683850/troubled-wac-loses-denver-adds-grand-canyon

roadwarrior
11-29-2012, 01:58 AM
Utah Valley is in the WAC? wow

KSBisonFan
11-29-2012, 02:51 AM
Summit > WAC.....Wow, just wow.

WYOBISONMAN
11-29-2012, 02:54 AM
Summit > WAC.....Wow, just wow.

Dangerous and unpredictable times for conferences.

BlueBisonRock
11-29-2012, 02:56 AM
Who wanted NDSU to move to the WAC a few years ago?

Wow!

NDSUstudent
11-29-2012, 03:04 AM
Who wanted NDSU to move to the WAC a few years ago?

Wow!

I think lakes wanted to go the WAC a few months ago....

riceweb
11-29-2012, 04:22 AM
Things are getting so unstable right now for the mid-major conferences, that I have to think that we're on the verge of the long-feared major break from the NCAA by the top conferences. Instead of FBS and FCS, we could have three Division 1 tiers of football (we already basically do with the BCS, but perhaps a more formalized distinction is coming).

And what happens if the B1G stops scheduling the MAC in favor of BCS schools to bolster their strength of schedule and TV opportunities? What will the MAC athletic departments do without those money games? And what happens then if MAC schools can't afford to schedule series with MVC teams?

I don't have the slightest clue what's going to happen, but I hope that NDSU ends up in a stronger position as a result.

bisonaudit
11-29-2012, 11:30 AM
Things are getting so unstable right now for the mid-major conferences, that I have to think that we're on the verge of the long-feared major break from the NCAA by the top conferences. Instead of FBS and FCS, we could have three Division 1 tiers of football (we already basically do with the BCS, but perhaps a more formalized distinction is coming).

And what happens if the B1G stops scheduling the MAC in favor of BCS schools to bolster their strength of schedule and TV opportunities? What will the MAC athletic departments do without those money games? And what happens then if MAC schools can't afford to schedule series with MVC teams?

I don't have the slightest clue what's going to happen, but I hope that NDSU ends up in a stronger position as a result.

I think we're moving toward 4 or 5 16-team power conferences at the top who, as you suggest, are going to eventually create their own "division". The last time this kind of restructuring occurred NDSU got left behind and stayed behind for far to long in D-II. I hope that we wont see that again. NDSU should compete at no lower than the second level of collegiate football. We're in the right place for the moment because the economic and competitive models for the D-1 A conferences that aren't part of the BCS cartel are broken. But I think we need to be ready to move when the time is right.

NorthernBison
11-29-2012, 11:36 AM
I think we're moving toward 4 or 5 16-team power conferences at the top who, as you suggest, are going to eventually create their own "division". The last time this kind of restructuring occurred NDSU got left behind and stayed behind for far to long in D-II. I hope that we wont see that again. NDSU should compete at no lower than the second level of collegiate football. We're in the right place for the moment because the economic and competitive models for the D-1 A conferences that aren't part of the BCS cartel are broken. But I think we need to be ready to move when the time is right.

I've bought into that theory for a while. I'm not 100% sure it will require an actual "move" by NDSU or any of the top FCS programs other than the possible decision to play at 85 scholarships. That might be the most interesting thing about any changes. Maybe it would be attractive to the MAC level programs who get left behind to cut their costs and play at this level of scholarships.

bisonaudit
11-29-2012, 12:02 PM
I've bought into that theory for a while. I'm not 100% sure it will require an actual "move" by NDSU or any of the top FCS programs other than the possible decision to play at 83 scholarships. That might be the most interesting thing about any changes. Maybe it would be attractive to the MAC level programs who get left behind to cut their costs and play at this level of scholarships.

Good point, and probably another reason to sit tight for the moment. The non-BCS conferences may come back toward the FCS funding level or a solution may be found somewhere in the middle.

The_Sicatoka
11-29-2012, 01:57 PM
But NOT BYU.......I want BYU to rot in independent HELL!!!!

Don't hold back WYO, ... tell us how you really feel about BYU. :D

The_Sicatoka
11-29-2012, 02:09 PM
Things are getting so unstable right now for the mid-major conferences, that I have to think that we're on the verge of the long-feared major break from the NCAA by the top conferences.

I've said DI FB could go three tiers and pointed out statements by folks like Nick Saban and the SunBelt commissioner (Benson) to back up my posit.

Saban talked about a "division" for the top 72 or so. Benson talked about "above the bar" and "below the bar" FBS conferences.

I see it this way: There are about 240 teams playing DI FB (about 120 FBS and about 120 FCS).

- The top 70-80 teams (today's power conferences aka the top 2/3 or so of FBS)
- The next 80-90 teams (bottom third of today's FBS plus the top half or so of FCS)
- The remaining 70-80 teams (bottom half of FCS)

Tatanka
11-29-2012, 02:11 PM
I've said DI FB could go three tiers and pointed out statements by folks like Nick Saban and the SunBelt commissioner (Benson) to back up my posit.

Saban talked about a "division" for the top 72 or so. Benson talked about "above the bar" and "below the bar" FBS conferences.

I see it this way: There are about 240 teams playing DI FB (about 120 FBS and about 120 FCS).

- The top 70-80 teams (today's power conferences aka the top 2/3 or so of FBS)
- The next 80-90 teams (bottom third of today's FBS plus the top half or so of FCS)
- The remaining 70-80 teams (bottom half of FCS)I agree with this assessment... and further, don't think it's all that bad of a setup. Although I would like to see more than 80 teams in the middle tier...

BisonAccountant44
11-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Since everything that has happened has made so much sense, let's go to a Premier League type setup and start moving teams up and down every year.

coldspot
11-29-2012, 02:49 PM
Since everything that has happened has made so much sense, let's go to a Premier League type setup and start moving teams up and down every year.

I like this idea, can you imagine the butthurt down I94 if we were playing in the big kids league while the Goofs were stuck in the middle?

BisonTeacher
11-29-2012, 03:00 PM
I like this idea, can you imagine the butthurt down I94 if we were playing in the big kids league while the Goofs were stuck in the middle?

meh...Theyd be happy playing cupcake teams and (hopefully) being bowl eligible. IMO They really don't seem to think playing bigger name teams matters. (See UNC vs NM st)

goldenshower
11-29-2012, 03:16 PM

ya we would be devastated, thankfully we wouldnt be first on that list! feels good to be an average football program again rather than one of the bottom 25

BisonTeacher
11-29-2012, 03:18 PM
ya we would be devastated, thankfully we wouldn't be first on that list! feels good to be an average football program again rather than one of the bottom 25

Sounds like "Moral Victory" speak.

goldenshower
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
Sounds like "Moral Victory" speak.

as a gopher football fan i will take moral victory over absolutely no victory anyday.

BisonTeacher
11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
as a gopher football fan i will take moral victory over absolutely no victory anyday.

As a current gopher season ticket holder (recovering) this type of attitude is why I am considering not renewing.

bisonaudit
11-29-2012, 03:40 PM

This is never happening. The 70 or 80 at the top are looking to form their own division because they don't want to share the money. They're trying to get farther away from the Premiership model not closer to it. Some in the Premiership, perhaps a growing number, would like to get away from the model that they have. The money disparity between their members and the next tier down is extreme and getting bigger. The clubs that are always at the top aren't worried but the guys in the middle would love to shut the door on promotion/relegation and have a secure position.

goldenshower
11-29-2012, 03:46 PM
As a current gopher season ticket holder (recovering) this type of attitude is why I am considering not renewing.

good, drop your tickets!

BisonAccountant44
11-29-2012, 03:53 PM
This is never happening. The 70 or 80 at the top are looking to form their own division because they don't want to share the money. They're trying to get farther away from the Premiership model not closer to it. Some in the Premiership, perhaps a growing number, would like to get away from the model that they have. The money disparity between their members and the next tier down is extreme and getting bigger. The clubs that are always at the top aren't worried but the guys in the middle would love to shut the door on promotion/relegation and have a secure position.

Oh I know, I was being completly facetious.

bisonaudit
11-29-2012, 04:06 PM
Oh I know, I was being completly facetious.

It's really too bad, I think. From a purely competitive perspective the promotion/relegation model has a lot going for it, but as with everything, the money gets in the way.

NDSUstudent
11-29-2012, 07:47 PM
UT Pan American is joining the conference of misfit toys AKA The WAC...

Fourteen years later, UTPA finally got the call it’s been hoping for.
After sources told The Monitor that the Broncs received an all-sports invite to join the Western Athletic Conference starting in 2013-14, the school confirmed the news Wednesday night saying that it did indeed get an invitation.
“We received an invite to the WAC conference early last week,” UTPA Athletic Director Chris King said. “We’re waiting to hear from the UT system to hear when we’ll be able to provide a presentation to the Board of Regents.”

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/utpa_broncs/article_804733b2-39df-11e2-a01a-0019bb30f31a.html

Greenie
11-30-2012, 05:04 PM
After all the expansion and realignment, I only see 2 current DI schools (NJIT and Chicago State) without an auto-bid conference home in the future. Hard to imagine that anyone will want those 2; they might have to drop down unless they get a major overhaul.

Honeybooboo
11-30-2012, 05:05 PM
After all the expansion and realignment, I only see 2 current DI schools (NJIT and Chicago State) without an auto-bid conference home in the future. Hard to imagine that anyone will want those 2; they might have to drop down unless they get a major overhaul.

Or the summit takes Chicago again

Greenie
11-30-2012, 05:18 PM
Doubt it -- they already kicked them out once

DePereBisonFan
11-30-2012, 08:58 PM
Maybe both to the WAC..or the Big East...

NDSUstudent
12-01-2012, 05:36 AM
Could just be BS but there are some rumblings out there that the Big 10 might add GT and UVA next week. GT's AD kind of denied it but the rumors are still circulating. Of course that could start a whole new avalanche of realignment.

NDSUstudent
12-04-2012, 04:24 AM
Chicago State to the WAC...

Big news for Chicago State Athletics coming Wednesday! Plus the Depaul game same day...

https://twitter.com/ChicagoStateAD

NDSUstudent
12-05-2012, 09:53 PM
The WAC officially adds Chicago State...

http://m.wacsports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205820763&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=10100

Tatanka
12-05-2012, 09:58 PM

http://m.wacsports.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?atclid=205820763&DB_MENU_ID=&SPSID=&SPID=&DB_OEM_ID=10100
:facepalm: <-----WAC is whack

Bison bison
12-05-2012, 10:04 PM
wow.

absolutely no dignity left in that conference.

bisonpride4ever
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
Wac attack!!!

Hammersmith
12-05-2012, 11:24 PM

At least we don't have to worry about them in the Summit anymore.

DePereBisonFan
12-06-2012, 02:07 PM
At least we don't have to worry about them in the Summit anymore.

No kidding.

And wow, the WAC has to be the worst conference in the nation.

The_Sicatoka
12-06-2012, 02:36 PM
The sound you hear is the WAC skidding on the bottom.
No need to be alarmed if you are not associated with the WAC.

KSBisonFan
12-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Good read about the impending conference movement. Some real concern among Big XII schools that Texas is again overly influencing conference expansion. A package deal involving Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami was mentioned this morning for a possibility to the Big XII.

http://texas.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1445262

Kermit
12-06-2012, 03:46 PM
A package deal involving Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech and Miami was mentioned this morning for a possibility to the Big XII.

The best thing about this--Notre Dame gets the shaft. Yes, I'm a little bitter that Notre Dame has repeatedly rebuffed the Big Ten.

acf2
12-06-2012, 04:21 PM
The best thing about this--Notre Dame gets the shaft. Yes, I'm a little bitter that Notre Dame has repeatedly rebuffed the Big Ten.
I'm a big Notre Dame fan and I was pissed at ND when they went to the ACC instead of the BIG in the first place. Now I'm really gonna be not happy.

344Johnson
12-07-2012, 05:32 AM
I'm a big Notre Dame fan and I was pissed at ND when they went to the ACC instead of the BIG in the first place. Now I'm really gonna be not happy.

This could change that if the ACC keeps falling apart.