PDA

View Full Version : Bison have #4 recruiting class in the nation open mat

HerdBot
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
http://awn.theopenmat.com/team-recruiting-rankings-2013/

onbison09
11-15-2012, 07:49 PM
I expect that to change when Iowa and Penn State get on there but pretty cool! Nevermind: They're already on there.

344Johnson
11-16-2012, 04:45 PM
If this is a legit ranking, this is excellent news for the program. Wouldn't mind having a sport that competes with the top of division one. Even if it is 'just' wrestling, there are a lot of teams.

Vitojr130
11-16-2012, 05:03 PM
http://awn.theopenmat.com/team-recruiting-rankings-2013/

Whoops..... computers posted when it shouldn't have haha.

Good news though!

calelars24
11-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Pretty sure it's legit, Kish has been hauling in recruits. I'm very happily impressed so far. It's possible that some have not signed that could bump us a bit, but I wouldn't think we would slide too far.

devin45k
11-17-2012, 02:53 AM
That is awesome! I like where we are heading!

roadwarrior
11-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Head coach Roger Kish announces the recruiting class today:

Mitch Bengtson (St. Cloud, Minn.) 138
Mitch Friedman (Oconto Falls, Wis.) 132
Kyle Gliva (Inver Grove Heights, Minn.) 113
Preston Lehmann (West Fargo, N.D.) 182
Grant Nehring (Kimball, Minn.) 138
Tommy Petersen (Lakeville, Minn.) 195
Clayton Ream (Wentzville, Mo.) 145
Cole Sladek (St. Michael, Minn.) 120
Tommy Walton (Fargo, N.D.) 106

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205773573

AmberValley
11-26-2012, 10:05 PM
From The Guillotine...

NDSU Wrestling Lands Nation’s No. 4 Recruiting Class

FARGO, N.D. – North Dakota State head wrestling coach Roger Kish announced the addition of nine wrestlers to his nationally ranked program on Monday, Nov. 26, following the conclusion of the early signing period.

NDSU’s recruiting class is ranked No. 4 in the nation among all Division I programs by Amateur Wrestling News.

The highly touted class includes five wrestlers who are nationally ranked, a combined six state runner-up finishes and 10 total state titles.

“We’re very excited about the group we’re bringing in here at North Dakota State, and we’re happy to add these kids to the Bison wrestling family,” said Kish. “We believe this is one of our most talented classes ever.”

Mitch Bengtson (St. Cloud, Minn.); Mitch Friedman (Oconto Falls, Wis.); Kyle Gliva (Inver Grove Heights, Minn.); Preston Lehmann (West Fargo, N.D.); Grant Nehring (Kimball, Minn.); Tommy Petersen (Lakeville, Minn.); Clayton Ream (Wentzville, Mo.); Cole Sladek (St. Michael, Minn.); and Tommy Walton (Fargo, N.D.) signed National Letters of Intent to continue their education and wrestle at NDSU.

Bengtson is the owner of the longest winning streak in Minnesota high school wrestling history, having posted 179 straight victories between his eighth-grade and junior seasons at St. Cloud Apollo. He is a three-time Minnesota high school state champion (103, 112, 119) and one-time runner-up (126), and placed second in Greco-Roman at 138 pounds in July 2012 to become a junior All-American. In 2010, Bengtson was a Cadet double All-American, taking second in Greco-Roman and third in freestyle. His high school career record currently stands at 221-6, with four of those losses coming as a seventh-grader. Bengtson entered this season ranked by WIN Magazine as the No. 3 wrestler in the nation at 138 pounds.

Friedman was the Wisconsin Division 2 state runner-up at 132 pounds in 2012, posting a season record of 41-6. He took fourth at 130 pounds as a sophomore in 2011. Friedman owns fifth and seventh place finishes at folkstyle junior nationals. He was also an all-conference cross country performer for Oconto Falls HS.

Gliva is a two-time Minnesota state champion at powerhouse Simley HS, going 76-3 over the past two seasons at 103 and 113 pounds. He was a state runner-up at 103 pounds as a freshman. In 2011, Gliva took second place in folkstyle and sixth in freestyle at 112 pounds at Cadet Nationals. He was also named to the MWCA All-State Academic team after leading Simley to a team state title in 2012. Gliva was ranked No. 17 in the nation at 120 pounds by WIN Magazine entering this season.

Lehmann has won state titles for West Fargo HS in each of the past two seasons, including a 49-1 record on the way to a 182-pound state championship in the 2011-12 season. Forty-two of Lehmann’s 49 wins as a junior were by fall, and he entered this season ranked as the No. 2 wrestler in the nation at 182 pounds by WIN Magazine. He is the younger brother of current NDSU wrestler Tyler Lehmann.

Nehring is a three-time state placewinner at St. Cloud Apollo and a Class AAA state champion at 138 pounds as a junior, going 43-3 for the season. He placed third at 135 pounds as a sophomore and sixth 125 pounds as a freshman. Entering his senior season, Nehring already owns 107 career wins.

Petersen won a Minnesota Class AAA state championship at 195 pounds as a junior at Lakeville South HS and was sixth as a sophomore at 189 pounds. He was also a Greco-Roman state champion and holds his school’s takedown record. Petersen enters his senior season as the top-ranked 195-pounder in the state of Minnesota and is ranked as high as No. 15 in the nation.

Ream was a junior national champion in folkstyle at 145 pounds in 2012. As a junior, he posted a record of 42-3 and was the Missouri Class 4 state runner-up at 145 pounds. Ream took fifth in freestyle at Cadet Nationals in 2010 and 2011. He is a three-time state placewinner and academic all-state selection, boasting a cumulative grade point average above 4.0. Entering this season with a career record of 121-17, Ream is ranked No. 7 in the nation at 152 pounds by WIN Magazine.

Sladek is a three-time state placewinner for St. Michael-Albertville HS, taking fourth in Class AAA as a junior at 120 pounds. Sladek was the state runner-up at 112 pounds as a sophomore in 2011 and the fifth-place finisher at 103 pounds as a freshman. In 2010, he won a Cadet folkstyle national championship at 105 pounds. Over his first three high school seasons, he owns a record of 121-20.

Walton won a state title for Fargo North HS at 106 pounds in 2012 and was the state runner-up at 103 pounds in 2011. He also took runner-up honors in Greco-Roman at Cadet Nationals in 2011 and is a five-time academic all-state performer.

The Bison wrestling team is ranked No. 24 in the nation in the latest USA Today/NWCA/AWN Coaches Poll. NDSU will travel to the Cliff Keen Las Vegas Invitational on Nov. 30 and Dec. 1.

BadlandsBison
11-26-2012, 10:15 PM
This is the jump start I was hoping Kish could bring to the program. NDSU is right next to Minnesota and 2 states away from strong programs in Iowa which makes recruiting very hard given the resources those big schools have.

Hopefully this translates into wins. So far, Kish is just the guy we needed.

PaBizon
11-27-2012, 02:15 AM
I was at the matches on Saturday. Watching Roger coach you can tell he gets it and the team has bought in. THe class he has coming in will be something to build on for a long and prosperous future. Go Bizon!

devin45k
11-27-2012, 03:18 PM
This gets me excited.....I am going to have to hit up some wrestling this year.

westnodak93bison
11-27-2012, 03:55 PM
This is amazing. Especially if the staff can get them to perform up to expectations.

BUZZ BYEWSKI
11-29-2012, 09:26 PM
Looks like we are going to have some outstanding wrestling coming to the BSA in the future, good job Kish. Cant wait to see some of these new recruits start performing.: :)

344Johnson
11-30-2012, 05:04 AM
Really excited to catch the Oregon State and UNI dual.

bruinbison
12-31-2012, 02:26 PM
WF’s Lehmann, Shearer repeat at Rumble on the Red

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/384836/group/Sports/

"Lehmann – a North Dakota State wrestling commit – and Shearer, a three-time North Dakota Class A state champion, each won individual championships during the seventh annual Rumble on the Red wrestling championships on Saturday at the Fargodome."

"NDSU commit Mitch Bengtson won the 138-pound championship and also won the Rumble’s Most Outstanding Wrestler award for the second straight season"

5th place match - Walton - 120 lbs - Fargo North - defeats Wangness, Albert Lea 8 - 5

runtheoption
12-31-2012, 08:08 PM
...and Shearer, a three-time North Dakota Class A state champion, each won individual championships

Any word on where Shearer is headed -- probable 4 time state champion? I think we have a potential Bison national champ in Lehmann. I bet he would also be an awesome fullback for the Bison fb team.

bruinbison
12-31-2012, 08:26 PM
Any word on where Shearer is headed -- probable 4 time state champion? I think we have a potential Bison national champ in Lehmann. I bet he would also be an awesome fullback for the Bison fb team.

According to the Forum, just a sophomore.....wow

runtheoption
01-03-2013, 12:03 AM
According to the Forum, just a sophomore.....wow

My oh my...Coach Kish is gonna have his work cut out getting Shearer to sign, cuz all the big programs are gonna be after him.

344Johnson
01-03-2013, 12:39 AM
My oh my...Coach Kish is gonna have his work cut out getting Shearer to sign, cuz all the big programs are gonna be after him.

Have the Lehmann's talk to him(if he is determined to be good enough for NDSU).