Iowa State -- hired Brian Kelly from Central Michigan
Miami
Michigan State -- hired Mark Dantonio from Cincinnati
North Carolina -- hired Butch Davis formerly with Clevland Browns
North Carolina State
North Texas

IowaBison
11-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I think we're safe this year, imo, unless Bohl has a connection at North Texas. Now that would be a great job, win the Sun Belt conference a couple of times.................

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-27-2006, 02:52 PM
I agree. I think that the schools that have openings Bohl would be interested in so far this year are a bit out of his range, and the rest seem to be jobs that wouldn't be enough to lure him away.

max_cool
11-27-2006, 06:55 PM
I can say for sure that Bohl will not be coahcing ASU. For starters, I doubt the AD and the alumni want another mid-major coach let alone an I-AA coach after the disaster that has been Koetter (Boise St.). Second of all, the level of competition in the Pac 10 is only second to the SEC this year; and year in year out, the Pac 10 is one of the toughest conferences for football, either #1 or 2.

sambini
11-27-2006, 07:09 PM
Did Shula get fired at Alabama?

IowaBisonToo
11-27-2006, 08:08 PM
Did Shula get fired at Alabama?
Yep! Amazing how a 6-6 record can get you fired in some of these big-time FB schools. To bad they wouldn't do that down in the Twin Cities. ;)

ccrider
11-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Would Bohl ever go to the NFL as a coordinator.....probably defensive?

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-27-2006, 08:39 PM
I think it is not probable, but maybe slightly possible, but to my thinking there would have to be some sort of intermediate step. I think he would have to be a head coach or coordinator at a 1-A school before he got a shot at that sort of job. I know he was a coordinator at Nebraska, but I think he'd have to do it again before getting a shot at the NFL.

IowaBisonToo
11-27-2006, 08:56 PM
I think it is not probable, but maybe slightly possible, but to my thinking there would have to be some sort of intermediate step. *I think he would have to be a head coach or coordinator at a 1-A school before he got a shot at that sort of job. *I know he was a coordinator at Nebraska, but I think he'd have to do it again before getting a shot at the NFL.
Why???? Didn't Bison Bob Babich go from NDSU to the NFL??? Bohl has enough experience at the 1A level and, IMHO, has done a hell of a lot better job than Babich as a head coach at NDSU to warrant a shot at the NFL if that is something he wanted and somebody were willing to give him a chance as position coach.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-27-2006, 09:00 PM
I think he could definitely be a position coach at the NFL right now. I was just saying that I think he needs more 1-A or NFL experience before he would be considered a candidate for a coordinator job at the NFL level.

insane_ponderer
11-27-2006, 09:05 PM
I think it is not probable, but maybe slightly possible, but to my thinking there would have to be some sort of intermediate step. *I think he would have to be a head coach or coordinator at a 1-A school before he got a shot at that sort of job. *I know he was a coordinator at Nebraska, but I think he'd have to do it again before getting a shot at the NFL.
Why???? *Didn't Bison Bob Babich go from NDSU to the NFL??? *Bohl has enough experience at the 1A level and, IMHO, has done a hell of a lot better job than Babich as a head coach at NDSU to warrant a shot at the NFL if that is something he wanted and somebody were willing to give him a chance as position coach.

Babich had a direct line in since he was buddies with Lovie Smith. I think Lovie was the D-coordinator for the Rams at the time and then when he got his head coaching job in Chicago he took his buddy Bob with him. I would assume Bohl also has some connections, but I would guess that would be his only way into the NFL at this point in time.

NDSUFREAK10
11-27-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah, you can count the Sun Devils out. I follow them pretty closely and I don't think that with the year that they had, a 1AA coach wouldnt seen to popular.

ccrider
11-27-2006, 09:29 PM
Bohl has some connections to Lovie, as well.

GFBisonFan
11-27-2006, 10:10 PM
I don't know of the connections, but Gus went from assistant to an NFL job, so it could happen.

Also, I hate when our assistants leave, but at least our program is in good position for them to leave. No one wants assistants off of a 2-8 team. So I will take the success, and hope that great replacements can be found.

ddaly15
11-28-2006, 01:03 AM
Why???? *Didn't Bison Bob Babich go from NDSU to the NFL??? *Bohl has enough experience at the 1A level and, IMHO, has done a hell of a lot better job than Babich as a head coach at NDSU to warrant a shot at the NFL if that is something he wanted and somebody were willing to give him a chance as position coach.

Babich went to the St. Louis Rams as an assistant linebackers coach... It is a position that is equivalent to a grad assistant job in college. Then when Lovie became the Bears coach, Babich was brought along to be his linebacker coach.

Jdubs21
11-28-2006, 01:12 AM
bohl will be in fargo next year so quit posting about other college schools lookin for a coach

kchats
11-28-2006, 03:30 AM
Coaching changes always cause a domino effect when lower level coaches take higher up jobs and the ripple effect moves coaches up the ladder.

I think Shula got a raw deal in Alabama. He coached them threw their sanctions and now that they are through them and he will have a full boat of scholarships they fire him. They were 10-2 last year.

It is pretty interesting how quickly jobs are filling up though.

56BISON73
11-28-2006, 03:46 AM
College Head Coach Openings

Alabama
Arizona State *
Cincinnati *
Florida International *
Iowa State -- hired Brian Kelly from Central Michigan
Miami *
Michigan State *-- hired Mark Dantonio from Cincinnati
North Carolina *-- hired Butch Davis formerly with Clevland Browns
North Carolina State *
North Texas *

AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa State put forth its best recruiting pitch to Gene Chizik, and succeeded in hiring one of the nation's hottest young assistants as its next coach.

Shawn-O
11-28-2006, 04:12 AM
Coaching changes always cause a domino effect when lower level coaches take higher up jobs and the ripple effect moves coaches up the ladder.

I think Shula got a raw deal in Alabama. He coached them threw their sanctions and now that they are through them and he will have a full boat of scholarships they fire him. They were 10-2 last year. *

I agree with you, but 0-4 against Auburn....that ol' dog don't hunt in Tuscaloosa.

sambini
11-28-2006, 04:58 AM
Lets face it .Its Big Business..

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-28-2006, 03:03 PM
bohl will be in fargo next year so quit posting about other college schools lookin for a coach

Blind Optimism??

IowaBison
11-28-2006, 03:07 PM
AMES, Iowa (AP) -- Iowa State put forth its best recruiting pitch to Gene Chizik, and succeeded in hiring one of the nation's hottest young assistants as its next coach.

I'm quit excited with the hire. If the transition goes well (and there is little reason to think that it shouldn't) Chizik might be able to do what Mac came so close to doing: making the Cyclones the best team in the Big 12 North.

mikelsch
11-28-2006, 03:53 PM

Blind Optimism??

I don't think Bohl would leave for just any I-A head job. I don't think a Sun Belt, MAC, or maybe even a WAC job would interest him. It would be MWC or higher.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
11-28-2006, 06:55 PM
Coach Bohl is on the radar, no doubt about it. He is in great position here, one of top jobs in D1AA--lots of goodies in cupboard. The future is good. The fact remains if the right job does come up we can't compete financially with the upper level D1A schools. I am not saying Craig is about money, but if right opportunity happens , where he can be challenged, and get financial security who would blame him. This is the reality we have always faced. The good news is, there has always (almost always) been a great candidate in the wings

IowaBison
11-28-2006, 07:01 PM
i read in some book, which was later made into a movie, that one can be convinced to stay by 'hobbling' them............

oh, wait. that's not what happened...........

kchats
11-29-2006, 03:07 AM

I think Shula got a raw deal in Alabama. *He coached them threw their sanctions and now that they are through them and he will have a full boat of scholarships they fire him. *They were 10-2 last year. *

I agree with you, but 0-4 against Auburn....that ol' dog don't hunt in Tuscaloosa. *

Yeah but he did all this while working through somebody else's probation. They are finally off the sanctions and they fire him to bring somebody else in. Raw Deal.

jzillmer
11-29-2006, 03:43 AM
Bohl has some connections to Lovie, as well.

Actually Lovie, Babich, and Coach Bohl were all on the same Wisconsin staff in the late 80's. I believe Stegelmeier was there at that time also. Not a bad group to have in the program at the same time.