PDA

View Full Version : 12 games next season?

marenlee
11-14-2012, 01:19 AM
I'm in Bison Hell (south Georgia), so I get slim picking on NDSU news. Has there been talk about adding another game to next season since the NCAA is allowing 12 regular season games for the FCS? The Bison have two bye weeks next season on Sep 14 and Nov 2. Or are they happy with the 11 game schedule next season? I believe it's finalized? I would be surprised if this wasn't already talked about, but I'm new :cool:

CaBisonFan
11-14-2012, 01:20 AM
I haven't seen this discussion. It's worth a thread. Thanks

EndZoneQB
11-14-2012, 01:24 AM
I haven't seen this discussion. It's worth a thread. Thanks

Jeezus, you're kidding right?

Tatanka
11-14-2012, 01:25 AM
I haven't seen this discussion. It's worth a thread. ThanksWell, there's been a discussion, sort of... now, an intelligent discussion, that might be a different matter.

CaBisonFan
11-14-2012, 01:29 AM
Jeezus, you're kidding right?

Nope...just haven't been paying that much attention apparently. God...forgive me...for I have committed a bisonville sin...

...not.

tony
11-14-2012, 01:55 AM
I'm in Bison Hell (south Georgia), so I get slim picking on NDSU news. Has there been talk about adding another game to next season since the NCAA is allowing 12 regular season games for the FCS? The Bison have two bye weeks next season on Sep 14 and Nov 2. Or are they happy with the 11 game schedule next season? I believe it's finalized? I would be surprised if this wasn't already talked about, but I'm new :cool:

NDSU's AD, Gene Taylor, was quoted as saying that he "is actively looking for a 12th game." That's pretty much it other than he said he doesn't want it to be an FBS game.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-14-2012, 02:38 AM
NDSU's AD, Gene Taylor, was quoted as saying that he "is actively looking for a 12th game." That's pretty much it other than he said he doesn't want it to be an FBS game.

Why not? There are plenty of shitty FBS schools we can beat for easy money. I'm sure we could find a sucker fairly easily. I would rather play a bad/mediocre FBS team than have a terrible FCS team come to the dome.

NDSUstudent
11-14-2012, 02:47 AM
People remember we start the season @K-State, vs Montana State, Bye week, vs Western Carolina, @SDSU, vs UNI.

There is a zero percent chance we'll cram a second FBS in there. Expect our 12th game to be a big fluffy cupcake.

perthbison
11-14-2012, 02:49 AM
Why not? There are plenty of shitty FBS schools we can beat for easy money. I'm sure we could find a sucker fairly easily. I would rather play a bad/mediocre FBS team than have a terrible FCS team come to the dome.I would agree but I think the goal is to fill the dome for a game. This includes a full tailgating lot with many people from a ways off who oft rent hotels, eat out, shop, sit in saloons and generally liven things up in the metro area. I suppose there is a little TV money added in too. Just a thought.

CaBisonFan
11-14-2012, 02:58 AM
I'm sincerely glad that K-State will be breaking in a new quarterback. Our biggest challenge since moving to DI...obviously.

loudsilverado
11-14-2012, 03:26 AM
It better be UND

NDSUstudent
11-14-2012, 03:29 AM
It better be UND

Well they certainly would fit the description of a big fluffy cupcake that I was talking about earlier.

CaBisonFan
11-14-2012, 03:49 AM
It better be UND

Seriously?

perthbison
11-14-2012, 04:37 AM
It better be UNDI would rather it isn't. That rivalry was always so hateful. I have friendly relationships with a lot of undie alumni and fans and I'd just as soon they play other people. This one is better left unplayed and let the who whine if they like.

ndsubison1
11-14-2012, 04:49 AM
Why not? There are plenty of shitty FBS schools we can beat for easy money. I'm sure we could find a sucker fairly easily. I would rather play a bad/mediocre FBS team than have a terrible FCS team come to the dome.

kansas st. montana st, with mcgehee being a senior. i know we are going to be very good but we need a cupcake. this will be our toughest non-conference slate we've ever scheduled

ndsubison1
11-14-2012, 04:50 AM
I'm sincerely glad that K-State will be breaking in a new quarterback. Our biggest challenge since moving to DI...obviously.

their backup QB isnt bad

90 BISON
11-14-2012, 04:54 AM
their backup QB isnt bad
Yeah but he also isn't a Heisman contender.

SamsRams
11-14-2012, 05:45 AM
Remember there are only 10 games on next years schedule. Western Carolina is just a mirage

SamsRams
11-14-2012, 05:53 AM

I haven't heard not an FBS. I've heard he is looking for home and home, but i also heard him say in the uni radio halftime interview that he is open to another road game if the money was right. Didn't mention fbs but didn't rule it out either.

344Johnson
11-14-2012, 06:04 AM
I haven't heard not an FBS. I've heard he is looking for home and home, but i also heard him say in the uni radio halftime interview that he is open to another road game if the money was right. Didn't mention gbs but didn't rule it out either.

With the Steven Threet ties I imagine we will have Arizona State on the schedule within a week.

WYOBISONMAN
11-14-2012, 11:21 AM
It better be UND

No way......get some real competition.

BisoninNWMN
11-14-2012, 11:49 AM
Remember there are only 10 games on next years schedule. Western Carolina is just a mirage

I think this is right.

Over on AGS, a WCU fan said their AD is buying out the contract.

GT will have his work cut out....finding 2 teams that want to come to the FD.

THEsocalledfan
11-14-2012, 12:54 PM
It better be UND

Can't happen without moving games; no open date matches even if they wanted to.

RedRiver
11-14-2012, 01:22 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?28612-NDSU-vs-Western-Carolina-in-2013

See above thread for previous discussion on this topic.

BisonNeil
11-14-2012, 07:28 PM
It better be UND

Well, if you weren't so lazy you would have looked up the schedules and would have noticed that the open dates don't line up, unless of course Western Carolina is not coming to town.

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
11-14-2012, 07:39 PM
If Western Carolina buys out, that would leave it open for UND, or any other team, but und needs an away game also because they already have 7 home games for next year, so they would have to come to the dome.

loudsilverado
11-14-2012, 07:45 PM
It better be UND

BlueBisonRock
11-14-2012, 11:15 PM
If Western Carolina buys out, that would leave it open for UND, or any other team, but und needs an away game also because they already have 7 home games for next year, so they would have to come to the dome.

How many DI?

HerdBot
11-14-2012, 11:28 PM
How many DI?

Good news according to Patty V (in a terry v interview) is they are looking at how D2 games are judged when comparing a D2 win over a 38 scholarship ranked team vs an unranked non scholarship D1 team. In all honestly I would rather play a ranked Minnesota Duluth instead of non scholarship Valparaiso. But only if it counts as an eligible win.

westnodak93bison
11-14-2012, 11:31 PM
It better be UND

I wouldn't put those a holes on the schedule unless they agreed to play in Fargo for 5 games in a row. Not 5 consecutive years either. We will play them when it firs our schedule. Also, how about a public admission that they ridiculed our move to D1 and they were wrong!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

aces1180
11-14-2012, 11:33 PM
I wouldn't put those a holes on the schedule unless they agreed to play in Fargo for 5 games in a row. Not 5 consecutive years either. We will play them when it firs our schedule. Also, how about a public admission that they ridiculed our move to D1 and they were wrong!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I agree 100% with this message!

Southern Bison
11-15-2012, 02:55 AM
What I'm seeing as of tonight in terms of "weak" FBS schools' open dates are:

Duke (9/14 & 9/21)
Wake Forest (9/14)
Hawaii (9/14 & 9/21)
Central Florida (9/14)
Temple (9/21)
Florida Atlantic (9/21)

Just a few that I spotted but 2 FBS games scheduled and going 1-1 wouldn't hurt us at all in the polls.

BisonNation11
11-15-2012, 04:02 AM
What I'm seeing as of tonight in terms of "weak" FBS schools' open dates are:

Duke (9/14 & 9/21)
Wake Forest (9/14)
Hawaii (9/14 & 9/21)
Central Florida (9/14)
Temple (9/21)
Florida Atlantic (9/21)

Just a few that I spotted but 2 FBS games scheduled and going 1-1 wouldn't hurt us at all in the polls.

Let's play Hawaii! Now that would make a great road trip!

aces1180
11-15-2012, 01:17 PM

There are a lot of good road trips there...FAU - Miami, Hawaii - Oahu, Central Florida - Orlando. Too bad it's during the early-fall instead of November.

BisonNation11
11-15-2012, 04:54 PM
There are a lot of good road trips there...FAU - Miami, Hawaii - Oahu, Central Florida - Orlando. Too bad it's during the early-fall instead of November.

I was going more with he "road" to Hawaii part! :biggrin:

NDSU1980
11-15-2012, 05:02 PM
It better be UNDIMO, it better NOT be UND.

Remember the RT remark? We never want to play NDSU again. Let's help them keep their word.

stevdock
11-15-2012, 05:23 PM

In all honestly don't we try and get a game close to each players hometown whenever possible?? It doesn't work all the time, but NDSU I believe has had a game as close as possible for MOST of our players. With the emergence of Anderson from Hawaii, that could be knocked out right away :)

aces1180
11-15-2012, 05:34 PM
I was going more with he "road" to Hawaii part! :biggrin:

...right over my head, lol.

56BISON73
11-15-2012, 05:35 PM
In all honestly don't we try and get a game close to each players hometown whenever possible?? It doesn't work all the time, but NDSU I believe has had a game as close as possible for MOST of our players. With the emergence of Anderson from Hawaii, that could be knocked out right away :)

Never heard that one.

T-Funk
11-15-2012, 06:17 PM

I believe this is something Saul tries to do with the basketball team.

thebigund
11-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Can't happen without moving games; no open date matches even if they wanted to.

after Montana buys out the non conference trip to the Alerus there will be.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2012, 07:40 PM
after Montana buys out the non conference trip to the Alerus there will be.

Can your school swallow its pride and do a single game in Fargo? If so, I'd say let's play. I also think I'd make the current president give an apology for past UND behavior on the field before the game, but I can let it go if UND agrees to a single game.

aces1180
11-15-2012, 08:03 PM
Can your school swallow its pride and do a single game in Fargo? If so, I'd say let's play. I also think I'd make the current president give an apology for past UND behavior on the field before the game, but I can let it go if UND agrees to a single game.

I personally think they need to take a full-page, full-color ad on game dayin the Forum, Herald, Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, Minot Daily News and Bismarck Tribune apologizing, as well as radio and TV ads in the Fargo, Bismarck and MSP DMAs the week of the game, on top of the on-field action before the game.

I also feel they can play us in Fargo at least three times before we go to GF.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2012, 08:56 PM
I can never remember this, but does the NCAA settlement force the retirement of the Nickel? Or, if a game happens, can it have its rightful place at the game?

NDSUstudent
11-15-2012, 09:00 PM
I can never remember this, but does the NCAA settlement force the retirement of the Nickel? Or, if a game happens, can it have its rightful place at the game?

The nickel is still fine, unless the NCAA can outlaw teams playing for giant replicas of historic US currency.

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
The nickel is still fine, unless the NCAA can outlaw teams playing for giant replicas of historic US currency.

I'd agree, but I have vented enough about what I thought about the UND witch hunt, and I wouldn't put retirement of the Nickel past the NCAA.

tony
11-15-2012, 09:19 PM
I'd agree, but I have vented enough about what I thought about the UND witch hunt, and I wouldn't put retirement of the Nickel past the NCAA.

The agreement between North Dakota and UND actually spells out what UND must do and it doesn't mention the Nickel. The only way the Nickel gets retired is if UND wants to retire it.

Heck, I thought the Blue Key Honor Societies at NDSU and UND actually own the thing so you'd think that it would be their decision.

Seems like this is something that could come up in negotiations (i.e. a "No Nickel, No Game" clause.)

THEsocalledfan
11-15-2012, 09:37 PM
Heck, I thought the Blue Key Honor Societies at NDSU and UND actually own the thing so you'd think that it would be their decision.

Don't think that UND still has Blue Key, so it is owned by the student body, if I recall correctly. I agree that these are the folks that should decide. I would be crushed if they said no.

td577
11-15-2012, 10:49 PM
At this point, regarding where the programs are at, scheduling un_ would be akin to a bye week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NDSU1980
11-15-2012, 11:20 PM
after Montana buys out the non conference trip to the Alerus there will be.Not going to happen, thanks to Roger Thomas. You do remember that day, don't you?

thebigund
11-15-2012, 11:21 PM
Idk about swallow, maybe spit it out and feel a bit ashamed. the trip would be well worth it for all parties.

ndsubison1
11-16-2012, 12:53 AM
next time we play und should be a playoff game

IzzyFlexion
11-16-2012, 01:04 AM
I personally think they need to take a full-page, full-color ad on game dayin the Forum, Herald, Star Tribune, Pioneer Press, Minot Daily News and Bismarck Tribune apologizing, as well as radio and TV ads in the Fargo, Bismarck and MSP DMAs the week of the game, on top of the on-field action before the game.

I also feel they can play us in Fargo at least three times in skirts before we go to GF.

added a uniform requirement clause to your propoal.

NDSU1980
11-16-2012, 01:17 AM
next time we play und should be a playoff gameThe problem is, un- is never going to be more than a .500 team any time in the foreseeable future. How can they make the playoffs when you play D2 teams and lose to other D1 teams by 70+ points. I doubt the playoff committee will ever be impressed with low caliber programs like that.

perthbison
11-16-2012, 02:11 AM
added a uniform requirement clause to your propoal.Not necessary Izzy, Thats what they usually wear. Has it been that long since u watched them or are u getting short term memory loss?

Southern Bison
12-09-2012, 04:44 AM
Has there been any news/rumors about filling the open dates in 2013 in the past few weeks?

heckler
01-28-2013, 08:07 PM
@FGOSPORTSWRITER #NDSU AD Gene Taylor says Bison will play 11 games next season and not the max of 12 that #FCSFootball schools allowed

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2013/01/28/bison-will-go-with-11/

Probably already placed somewhere on Bisonville but I'm on my phone.

td577
01-29-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't like it but I can live with it.

The one problem with the article though. Mentioning bubble teams with 8-4 getting the nod over 7-4 applies when you haven't come off b2b. If the bison are a fringe team, they will get the benefit of the doubt vs. 98% of this division of football. In fact, with the larger playoff field, the MVFC should start getting the benefit of the doubt in any close decisions.

bisonmike2
01-29-2013, 01:47 PM

The one problem with the article though. Mentioning bubble teams with 8-4 getting the nod over 7-4 applies when you haven't come off b2b. If the bison are a fringe team, they will get the benefit of the doubt vs. 98% of this division of football. In fact, with the larger playoff field, the MVFC should start getting the benefit of the doubt in any close decisions.

I'm not so sure. The playoff committee is a bunch of a-holes who really have a boner for teams getting to the magic 8 number. I would hope the two-time defending champ would get the benefit of the doubt but I wouldn't bank on it. But honestly, are we really going to be on the bubble with next years team? They should just automatically put us down for the #1 seed.

WYOBISONMAN
01-29-2013, 01:51 PM
Too bad. Not having another home game is a missed opportunity for revenue.

NorthernBison
01-29-2013, 01:55 PM

The past is history. I don't really think we have to worry about being a bubble team next year. If ANY consideration is given to past performance, it is to a particular TEAM and not a conference. I don't think the Southland is going to get any special treatment even though their post-season perfromance has been second only to the MVFC the last two years.

Until we have 11 games scheduled, I'm not giving an ounce of thought to a 12 game season.

Professor Chaos
01-29-2013, 02:35 PM
Two things I think played a major role in this decision; 1) they've played 30 games over the last two years and I'm guessing they're anticipating more playoff games this year, and 2) they've got a very tough non-conference slate already with Kansas St and Montana St and paying another cupcake (after the 11th game) for a guarantee game would put them in a time crunch and be a hit to the budget.