PDA

View Full Version : Playoff game day/time

Gully
11-12-2012, 02:15 AM
For the quarters and semis, does anyone know how many games they have on Friday? Is it just one or two? I'm assuming they pick for TV rating purposes? Does that minimize the chance we're on Friday because of the TV markets out East? As fun as a Friday game would be, that would really put a damper on tailgating and would even make getting to the game tough for some.

I wonder how soon they announce this....each Sunday morning?

stevdock
11-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I thought they announced most games on the way home after the previous game on day and time. I think they have it decided beforehand but depends on matchups.

Now first round game I am praying for a 6 pm game even though I doubt it will happen.

Bisonguy
11-12-2012, 02:25 AM
Here's the bracket from last year- http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/football_fcs_2011.pdf

L (http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/football_fcs_2011.pdf)ooks like only 1 Friday game in the quarters and 1 for the semifinals.

Wally
11-12-2012, 02:29 AM
Here's the bracket from last year- http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/football_fcs_2011.pdf

L (http://www.ncaa.com/sites/default/files/external/gametool/brackets/football_fcs_2011.pdf)ooks like only 1 Friday game in the quarters and 1 for the semifinals.

Damn that is a sexy bracket

Tatanka
11-12-2012, 02:34 AM
Benefit of a Friday game...possible espn2 or espnu coverage. Cue the usual e-boners...mine included.
Benefit of a Saturday game... bison nation in full force with tailgating. Lots of folks from out of town would have a tough go of it on a Friday night game.

If I recall correctly, GT has a say in this, especially if ndsu is the number one seed. My guess is he picks Saturday every time.

Wally
11-12-2012, 02:38 AM
When is commencement? That was a factor for one of the games last year being on Saturday instead of friday

KTF
Benefit of a Friday game...possible espn2 or espnu coverage. Cue the usual e-boners...mine included.
Benefit of a Saturday game... bison nation in full force with tailgating. Lots of folks from out of town would have a tough go of it on a Friday night game.

If I recall correctly, GT has a say in this, especially if ndsu is the number one seed. My guess is he picks Saturday every time.

Yep I see GT only picking saturday games...

b15on
ESPN should be asking to put the Bison on their channels.

Bisonguy
11-12-2012, 02:43 AM
When is commencement? That was a factor for one of the games last year being on Saturday instead of friday

Friday, Dec. 14th.

EndZoneQB
11-12-2012, 02:43 AM
For the quarters and semis, does anyone know how many games they have on Friday? Is it just one or two? I'm assuming they pick for TV rating purposes? Does that minimize the chance we're on Friday because of the TV markets out East? As fun as a Friday game would be, that would really put a damper on tailgating and would even make getting to the game tough for some.

I wonder how soon they announce this....each Sunday morning?

I have a feeling the higher seeded teams get a preference when they want to play.

TbonZach
11-12-2012, 02:46 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong (cue Hammersmith in 3...2...1...) but I believe winter commencement is usually on Fridays.

Last year, the other host team had commencement on Saturday while we had it on Friday which had a major impact on both schools playing on their respective days.

MNLonghorn10
11-12-2012, 02:50 AM
put me in as someone who wants the friday night game over the saturday game at 12:30.

last years uni/montana game was awesome. and the atmosphere was the shit. no reason why we couldnt duplicate it.

EndZoneQB
11-12-2012, 02:56 AM
put me in as someone who wants the friday night game over the saturday game at 12:30.

last years uni/montana game was awesome. and the atmosphere was the shit. no reason why we couldnt duplicate it.

I disagree. How are we going to tailgate when you have kids to drop off? lol

dragonsfan
11-12-2012, 03:07 AM
friday on espn or espn 2 is where to be, high school football is over and you get every college football fan in the country watching the game. Ndsu screwed themselves last year by declining a game like that, which is a major facepalm

MNLonghorn10
11-12-2012, 03:09 AM
I disagree. How are we going to tailgate when you have kids to drop off? lol
theyll have to walk.

missingnumber7
11-12-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm in for a Saturday 6PM second round game...I have a muta 5 that weekend.

imabison
11-12-2012, 03:53 AM
friday on espn or espn 2 is where to be, high school football is over and you get every college football fan in the country watching the game. Ndsu screwed themselves last year by declining a game like that, which is a major facepalm
You put yourself in Gene Taylors position and try to make your decision. 19000+ fans
on Saturday, but I guess money talks.

missingnumber7
11-12-2012, 04:01 AM
friday on espn or espn 2 is where to be, high school football is over and you get every college football fan in the country watching the game. Ndsu screwed themselves last year by declining a game like that, which is a major facepalmYea sure sucks being 1 or the 4 or 5 venues that make money in the FCS playoffs.

dragonsfan
11-12-2012, 04:08 AM
has nothing to do with money, has to do with exposure for your program.
you seriously would be happy turning down a friday night on espn or espn 2 again? surely you jest.

missingnumber7
11-12-2012, 04:19 AM
you seriously would be happy turning down a friday night on espn or espn 2 again? surely you jest.I'll take the money over ESPN face time any day...ESPN face time doesn't get you any more money, and I would most certainly turn down a friday night for a saturday game.

TbonZach
11-12-2012, 04:23 AM
you seriously would be happy turning down a friday night on espn or espn 2 again? surely you jest.

I would easily turn down Espn2 (good luck with ESPN) for a Saturday game. And don't call me Shirley.

http://filmbalaya.files.wordpress.com/2010/11/g2e22e2000000000000abb27579afb5058a70ff373a336a9f2 1f992c4f7.jpg

TbonZach
11-12-2012, 04:24 AM
I disagree. How are we going to tailgate when you have kids to drop off [at the pool]? lol

They do have port-a-potties in the tailgate area.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 11:09 AM
IS there a selection show like there was last year? My guess is ESPNU sometime Sunday morning?

Bisonguy
11-12-2012, 11:31 AM
IS there a selection show like there was last year? My guess is ESPNU sometime Sunday morning?

ESPNU, Sunday, Nov. 18 at 1:30 PM Eastern.

Hammerhead
11-12-2012, 02:09 PM
It seems like Montana and the other schools with large fanbases usually show up on the Friday night game. As an out-of-towner, I'd love to see Gate City Bank Field on ESPN2!

aces1180
11-12-2012, 02:13 PM
ESPNU, Sunday, Nov. 18 at 1:30 PM Eastern.

Glad its not at 9 am this year...This is much more convenient for my schedule. ;)

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
Glad its not at 9 am this year...This is much more convenient for my schedule. ;)

one word.....DVR

Well its not really a word, its actually and abbreviation for three...but you get the point. :biggrin:

CalBison97
11-12-2012, 02:26 PM

I would venture to guess CB has some say as to whether he would prefer an extra day to prepare for the opponent. That along with any negative repercussions of taking our guys out of their normal routine. Choose whatever gives us the greater chance of playing on ESPN/ESPN2 that last Saturday!

BlueBisonRock
11-12-2012, 02:38 PM
Friday night or Saturday? Interesting question.

Friday night provides a glass half full perspective with the visibility (sorry, but every time I see the word exposure I get this mental picture of Izzy in a raincoat!).

Saturday night provides a full glass with its focus on the fans. I can't help but think the visibility is erased when the casual viewer sees a bunch of blue seats and wonders where the Bison crowd is at.

BisonNation11
11-12-2012, 03:43 PM
This is a no-brainer. Saturday game to give out of town fans the chance to attend the game, have an entire day to tailgate and get sufficient amounts of Ice Hole consumed, utilize our 12th man home field advantage to the max, and because I'm sick and tired of the evil empire dictating game times. If they want to put out the best product that FCS has to offer, then you come to us not the other way around.

Professor Chaos
11-12-2012, 04:22 PM
I have a feeling the higher seeded teams get a preference when they want to play.
The Evil Empire (ESPN) decides what games are shown in the Friday primetime slot.

Vitojr130
11-12-2012, 04:44 PM

Well I would think so... The NCAA would be stupid to not give priority to those seeded and then to whoever has highest potential to make le money-stuffs for them.

Fortunately, NDSU has had a good track record for attendence and is looking to be seeded high. Saturday home games all the way I say.

EndZoneQB
11-12-2012, 05:12 PM
The Evil Empire (ESPN) decides what games are shown in the Friday primetime slot.

Do you know that for a fact?

Professor Chaos
11-12-2012, 06:31 PM
Do you know that for a fact?
Technically, it's the NCAA who decides (this is last year's handbook so the dates are a bit off): http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/champ_handbooks/football/2011/2011_1_football.pdf

Quarterfinal/Semifinal Date Determination Procedure
The quarterfinal and semifinal games during the 2010 Division I Football Championship will be conducted on two different days. One quarterfinal game will occur on Friday, December 10 and three quarterfinal games will occur on Saturday, December 11. One semifinal game will occur Friday evening, December 17, while the other will occur Saturday, December 18.

The quarterfinal and semifinal schedules will be determined by the Division I Football Championship Committee on the Sunday following the proceding round. Prospective hosts should note these date possibilities in their facility evaluation forms and when developing their proposed budgets.

However, I don't think it's coincidence that Montana played in the Friday quarterfinal last year and Montana St played in the national TV quarterfinal at noon ET on Saturday after their senators threw a royal fit about ESPN only making the non-national TV games available on ESPN3.

Last year Taylor requested that the NCAA give NDSU the Saturday semifinal even though SHSU was still playing and was the top seed. The NCAA takes feedback from the host universites I would bet but the feedback from E$PN holds a lot more weight.

NDSUguy
11-12-2012, 06:50 PM
does anyone actually think that playing a game on Friday will PREVENT out of towners from making it to the game???? I call BS. If you're a true Bison fan you WILL MAKE IT TO THE GAME. Sure, tailgating would be different (arguably not as fun/crazy) but there is ZERO chance that the dome is anything less than full.

The friday night game on ESPN/ESPN2 would offer the same attendance/participation from the crowd but with the added benefit of letting the nation see you program (primarily for recruits...)

Bisonfan1
11-12-2012, 07:01 PM
If there is a choice, Bison will play on Saturdays from here on in. Why would anyone want to give a day away of practice and do walk throughs on Thursday rather than Friday ? I may not know what Im talking about but it makes sense to me to keep the routine. my two cents.

1998braves64
11-13-2012, 03:35 AM
If there is a choice, Bison will play on Saturdays from here on in. Why would anyone want to give a day away of practice and do walk throughs on Thursday rather than Friday ? I may not know what Im talking about but it makes sense to me to keep the routine. my two cents.

If we have a first round bye this will make little difference... and if they played the 2nd game on friday and last game on saturday they could add a day for the semifinal. So not sure if this is a reason not to do it.

Think biggest reason for NDSU has been events scheduled in the dome (graduation etc) that would prevent them from using it on friday night.

chuckles
11-13-2012, 07:13 AM
If we have a first round bye this will make little difference... and if they played the 2nd game on friday and last game on saturday they could add a day for the semifinal. So not sure if this is a reason not to do it.

Think biggest reason for NDSU has been events scheduled in the dome (graduation etc) that would prevent them from using it on friday night.

The playoffs take priority over whatever event is scheduled for the dome. Last year we played GSU on Saturday and winter commencement on Friday still needed to be moved to the BSA.

does anyone actually think that playing a game on Friday will PREVENT out of towners from making it to the game???? I call BS. If you're a true Bison fan you WILL MAKE IT TO THE GAME. Sure, tailgating would be different (arguably not as fun/crazy) but there is ZERO chance that the dome is anything less than full. False, completely false. As an 'out of towner' (yes, I live in SLC) I have every intent on making the first two playoff games being their played on Saturday. Travel and work assignment will prevent this if the game is on a Friday. Some of us aren't just driving a couple hours to make these games...

THEsocalledfan
11-13-2012, 01:35 PM
False, completely false. As an 'out of towner' (yes, I live in SLC) I have every intent on making the first two playoff games being their played on Saturday. Travel and work assignment will prevent this if the game is on a Friday. Some of us aren't just driving a couple hours to make these games...

Glad you pointed this out. It is a complicated issue. It will also be hard for me if on a Friday, but the national exposure is an excellent thing, not to mention cameras that actually work. I hope for Saturday, but won't complain if Friday and will do my best to make it work.

EndZoneQB
11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Glad you pointed this out. It is a complicated issue. It will also be hard for me if on a Friday, but the national exposure is an excellent thing, not to mention cameras that actually work. I hope for Saturday, but won't complain if Friday and will do my best to make it work.

We will get the same/more exposure for the natty championship game.

THEsocalledfan
11-13-2012, 02:54 PM
We will get the same/more exposure for the natty championship game.

No, you won't. Multiple weeks on national TV is a good thing. In other words, 3 national TV games with cameras that word and commentators who are competent is better than only 2. There are rubes out there that will watch about any good sports game on TV, and I love the idea that NDSU is on there.

With that said, I do hope for a Saturday game, mainly due to tailgating and having a more "lubed up" fanbase. Let's be honest, it helps create a more hostile crowd and as long as people don't go overboard, that is a good thing. You need the opposing team scared to come to Fargo.

Bisonfan1
11-13-2012, 03:21 PM
No, you won't. Multiple weeks on national TV is a good thing. In other words, 3 national TV games with cameras that word and commentators who are competent is better than only 2. There are rubes out there that will watch about any good sports game on TV, and I love the idea that NDSU is on there.

With that said, I do hope for a Saturday game, mainly due to tailgating and having a more "lubed up" fanbase. Let's be honest, it helps create a more hostile crowd and as long as people don't go overboard, that is a good thing. You need the opposing team scared to come to Fargo.

This, and especially if the entire stadium is wearing yellow the intimadation factor triples !! Right PL ? The more I thought about it, im still in on the Saturday games, the fact that " your not a true Bison fan if you cant make it on Friday bla bla " is a weak argument as Im not saying all, but the majority of people are off on the weekends, and those that have to travel from out of town might have a hard time getting off on Friday. If game time is 6PM friday, most locals will probably work and have time to make the game after work and no tailgating. I know probably about half our group wouldnt be able to swing a Friday game. So I vote for Super Saturdays, but NOT scream yellow.

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 03:45 PM
Yeah...Im tired of hearing that...if your a true fan you would do such and such. With a baby and working on Friday...I doubt I could make it either. But I don't make most of the games. I must not be a true fan then. What a bunch of crap. I doubt the person who posted it meant it to be an absolute. But being a fan who lives at a distance, I get tired of hearing that sometimes.

fargo_is_my_home
11-13-2012, 03:52 PM
I think everyone is looking at the small picture. We all know the game will be played when Mr. Sigurd Johnson and the band captains decide what works for them!