PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to Coach Vigen

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 02:10 PM
Dear Coach Vigen,

Let me start off by saying I have no actual football experience. I have never played or coached at any level. Full disclosure, I am nothing but an armchair quarterback and football rube.

Having said that, I am very concerned with these "out patterns" we are throwing. Why do they keep getting picked off? Does Brock have a tell? I've heard everything from slapping his butt and looking at the second page of his wrist playbook.

The point is...I have no football knowledge or experience. Yet, I cringe every time we throw that route. If I can see what's coming...I'm guessing the other team can as well. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. How about an out an up? A pump fake maybe? Getting rid of the play altogether might be a little drastic, but how many times does this have to happen before we change something?

In case I'm not being clear, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! THE OTHER TEAMS HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.

Thank you for all your hard work and good luck in the playoffs. Hope to see you in Frisco.

Go Bison!

Sincerely,
BisonTeacher
Bisonville Rube/Armchair QB

MNLonghorn10
11-11-2012, 02:14 PM
throwing across the field on an out is a recipe for disaster.

but against missouri state, brock sailed his picks.

A1pigskin
11-11-2012, 02:21 PM
According to Steve Walker that pass is very difficult to throw.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 03:55 PM
Im not smart enough to know whos to blame at this point...but good god quit throwing it or change it up. That very well could have cost us the game yesterday. The wr saved the day.

moundbz
11-11-2012, 04:01 PM
Brock just praised Vigen on the Bohl show.

CaBisonFan
11-11-2012, 04:04 PM
Biggest defensive play of the day was made by Vraa.

Snowgoose
11-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Currently everyone is to blame. Those plays are terrible but I believe Brock likes that throw as there are usually others out in patterns that brock could throw to if the out is covered. Yesterday as I said in another post we did try stuff over the middle but Brock missed the throws. Also, our line is not doing a great job to do more play action passes as I have been hammering that for a 15 years as babichs teams never used play action either. Only walker teams really used play action and went over the middle to the TE. I believe the more I watch Brock the more Brock may not have the abilit to look off receivers nor does he like to throw over the middle especially to the TE. Brock may have all of the attributes to be a great QB but he may not get there and it is mainly do to the mental side of the game and part of that blame is on the QB coach :).

Jay
11-11-2012, 04:48 PM
The 2nd down pass in the 4th quarter instead of running the damn ball cost us 40 seconds. That was one of the dumbest play calls I have ever witnessed in the dome.

BisonNation11
11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Currently everyone is to blame. Those plays are terrible but I believe Brock likes that throw as there are usually others out in patterns that brock could throw to if the out is covered. Yesterday as I said in another post we did try stuff over the middle but Brock missed the throws. Also, our line is not doing a great job to do more play action passes as I have been hammering that for a 15 years as babichs teams never used play action either. Only walker teams really used play action and went over the middle to the TE. I believe the more I watch Brock the more Brock may not have the abilit to look off receivers nor does he like to throw over the middle especially to the TE. Brock may have all of the attributes to be a great QB but he may not get there and it is mainly do to the mental side of the game and part of that blame is on the QB coach :).

Whatever play they ran for the first TD throwing to Vaadland seriously made me feel like God himself opened the skies, took over both Vigen's and Brock's bodies, and said to Bison Nation (not myself particularly) "WATCH THIS!!!" I seriously think I was beaming for a good 10 minutes! Where are the plays like that??? We have great sized TE's with more than capable hands and seem to be loads to take down! I agree the out passes are getting old to watch but give credit to the DB. He made a great play. Now turn that play into an out and up and you suddenly have 6 points on the board. I hope they are being this obvious to set teams up for the playoffs. Either way, next week is the goal! Let's hope the team can win this conference outright and set themselves up for a deep playoff run!

SamsRams
11-11-2012, 04:57 PM
Brock is favoring that arm and i noticed it all game. My opinion is his arm is tired/dead. Those 15 yard outs were thrown like lasers earlier in the year, the pick against sdsu was flat. Every other position they rotate guys to keep the fresh, unfortunately there is a feeling that if you do that with your qb, emotions can get hurt

EndZoneQB
11-11-2012, 05:01 PM
I think you are all forgetting how much the defense scored last year as well...

HerdBot
11-11-2012, 05:09 PM
If the play is executed perfectly, it is impossible to defend. Problem is it's not being executed perfectly.

NorthernBison
11-11-2012, 05:23 PM
Brock has thrown 7 picks and I think yesterday was the first out pattern from the opposite hash. The three picks against ISU were two crossing patterns to the short side and the third was across the middle. Dont remember all three against MSU but at least one was a short post that was overthrown. Funny how things get remembered.

BisonNeil
11-11-2012, 05:39 PM
I think this is an interesting statistic, from TSN writer Tim McDonnell:

Every team currently ranked in the Top 10 which won in Week 11 - except No. 1 North Dakota State - ranks in the Top 25 of the FCS in total offense. They are Old Dominion (556 yards per game), Sam Houston State (490), Georgia Southern (467) Montana State (440) and Eastern Washington (431).

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle_mcdonnell/index.htm

Personally, I think the very best team this year in FCS may be Montana State, at least based on the statistics. They are highly ranked nationally both offensively and defensively, and if you notice in the above referenced article, they scored a TD on offense, on defense, and on special teams. Our D, while magnificent, is not scoring like last years D, and our special teams are not as special as last year. Anyway, the national stats can be telling.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs

BadlandsBison
11-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Opposing D coordinators are writing up their game plans in 15 minutes...

While sitting on the john Monday morning. At least they catch up on sleep during bison week.

MNLonghorn10
11-11-2012, 05:54 PM

Every team currently ranked in the Top 10 which won in Week 11 - except No. 1 North Dakota State - ranks in the Top 25 of the FCS in total offense. They are Old Dominion (556 yards per game), Sam Houston State (490), Georgia Southern (467) Montana State (440) and Eastern Washington (431).

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle_mcdonnell/index.htm

Personally, I think the very best team this year in FCS may be Montana State, at least based on the statistics. They are highly ranked nationally both offensively and defensively, and if you notice in the above referenced article, they scored a TD on offense, on defense, and on special teams. Our D, while magnificent, is not scoring like last years D, and our special teams are not as special as last year. Anyway, the national stats can be telling.

just looking at total defenses those top teams have played, none can hold a candle to the ranks of defense that ndsu has faced in the MVFC.

Bison"FANatic"
11-11-2012, 05:57 PM
The shake the head moment for me came yesterday with 13 minutes left in the fourth. We run Crockett twice for first down and it looked like our Oline was starting to hand it to the D and was getting good push. We then pass it three times and have to punt.:facepalm2:

BisoninNWMN
11-11-2012, 06:05 PM
We just played a very good SDSU team with a nationally ranked defense. Maybe I'll go out on a limb here.......they have some very good players to.

The Bison are not going to beat every team like we did to Prairie View, USD and Youngstown. Good teams find a way to win and the Bison are doing that.

Come playoff time....I like the Bison's chance.

I'll take a very good defense every time. I hope we see some of those teams (Old Dominion, Montana State, SHSU). Our offense is not bad....just needs to execute better.

Some of you guys here need to step away from the cliff.....

Hansel
11-11-2012, 06:08 PM

MSU didn't play an FBS and played a DII and Pioneer non-scholly in non-conf. They also avoided Poly and NAU due to the Big Sky schedule and I think they choke in Missoula next week.

AjaxTheMighty
11-11-2012, 06:13 PM
Our D might not be scoring like last year, but our D overall is better than last year. In fact there is a huge gap between us and the number 2 defense. We are that freakin good. However this offense reminds me of 09 right now. Hopefully our amazing defense can alone carry us. Hopefully. Repeating is tough, especially with the jury out on our offense. That leaves little room for error. Scary for playoffs. Just hope our D doesn't have an off day.

WYOBISONMAN
11-11-2012, 06:24 PM
This lack luster offense is scaring the hell out of me. I am just worried we are gonna fold like a cheap suit at the wrong time.......

BisoninNWMN
11-11-2012, 06:35 PM
This lack luster offense is scaring the hell out of me. I am just worried we are gonna fold like a cheap suit at the wrong time.......

I doubt it.

Many of these guys have been starting 2 or 3 years. There is nothing wrong with the offense, it just needs to execute better.

Facts
11-11-2012, 06:45 PM
I doubt it.

Many of these guys have been starting 2 or 3 years. There is nothing wrong with the offense, it just needs to execute better.

I disagree, is execution the reason the bison attempted less than 5 downfield (like the td) passes yesterday? I don't know what has changed from the first half of the season until now, but it's more than execution IMHO.
Are the receivers slow? Is the qb gun-shy? Is the oline playing poorly? Something is different... Definitely.

JMB
11-11-2012, 06:51 PM
Our D might not be scoring like last year, but our D overall is better than last year. In fact there is a huge gap between us and the number 2 defense. We are that freakin good. However this offense reminds me of 09 right now. Hopefully our amazing defense can alone carry us. Hopefully. Repeating is tough, especially with the jury out on our offense. That leaves little room for error. Scary for playoffs. Just hope our D doesn't have an off day.

This offense actually reminds me a lot of last year's offense. Until the last couple of weeks, I thought it was a bit more dynamic than last years offense (it seemed a bit more effective at moving the ball), but now it seems similar.

AjaxTheMighty
11-11-2012, 06:56 PM
I doubt it.

So there is nothing wrong with offense, or it needs to execute better?

BisonNation11
11-11-2012, 06:57 PM

C.

ten char.

BisoninNWMN
11-11-2012, 06:58 PM

As in plays being called. They need to execute better.

BisoninNWMN
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
I disagree, is execution the reason the bison attempted less than 5 downfield (like the td) passes yesterday? I don't know what has changed from the first half of the season until now, but it's more than execution IMHO.
Are the receivers slow? Is the qb gun-shy? Is the oline playing poorly? Something is different... Definitely.

Agree to disagree.

Injuries have probably not helped also but IMO it is execution of the offense. This includes Brock's decision making.

Gully
11-11-2012, 07:00 PM
Again, the offense is rated number one in our conference. If our offense is terrible, then every offense in the entire conference is terrible. Hmmm. Granted, I'm frustrated about many of the same things that have been posted but I think people are overreacting. The other teams are good as well.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 07:49 PM
What the heck is a gray rep? Is that a neg rep?

Anyway...to person who just gave it to me...If you think a recruit is going to make their decision based on what they read on Bisonville wow. Just wow. I wasnt aware that recruits were given a tour of Bisonville on their trips. Tony...do we have special gift bags for them? Maybe they get those Bisonville T shirts weve been talking about. Does Izzy give the Tours. God I hope so.

Anyway...back to tearing into that jackwagon. Don't come here anymore if you don't like reading things that may not always be positive. Seriously...that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Quit drinking the frickin green kool aid. If you can't see that opponents are picking off the same pass every week, you are about as smart as continuously calling it.

Facts
11-11-2012, 08:07 PM

Anyway...to person who just gave it to me...If you think a recruit is going to make their decision based on what they read on Bisonville wow. Just wow. I wasnt aware that recruits were given a tour of Bisonville on their trips. Tony...do we have special gift bags for them? Maybe they get those Bisonville T shirts weve been talking about. Does Izzy give the Tours. God I hope so.

Anyway...back to tearing into that jackwagon. Don't come here anymore if you don't like reading things that may not always be positive. Seriously...that is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard. Quit drinking the frickin green kool aid. If you can't see that opponents are picking off the same pass every week, you are about as smart as continuously calling it.
Check neg gray rep

CAS4127
11-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Anyway...to person who just gave it to me (cvbison1)...If you think a recruit is going to make their decision based on what they read on Bisonville wow. Just wow. I wasnt aware that recruits were given a tour of Bisonville on their trips. Tony...do we have special gift bags for them? Maybe they get those Bisonville T shirts weve been talking about. Does Izzy give the Tours. God I hope so.

All cvbison does is neg rep people who question Vigen. I believe he has a man crush for Vigen. "cv"bison??!!! Think "centralvalley"bison-->Vigen's 9-man high school was Central Valley near Buxton ND for those that don't know.

You all know my thoughts on Vigen-->don't see them changing anytime soon, All I can say is 'I told you so"!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 08:21 PM
There is nothing wrong with the offense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDAmPIq29ro

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 08:22 PM
All cvbison does is neg rep people who question Vigen. I believe he has a man crush/boner for Vigen. "cv"bison??!!! Think "centralvalley"bison-->Vigen's 9-man high school was Central Valley near Buxton ND for those that don't know.

You all know my thoughts on Vigen-->don't see them changing anytime soon, All I can say is 'I told you so"!

I shouldnt have posted his name. That was not cool of me. Having said that...he should have shared his views in this thread instead of chickening out.

CAS4127
11-11-2012, 08:26 PM
I shouldnt have posted his name. That was not cool of me. Having said that...he should have shared his views in this thread instead of chickening out.

He has neg-repped me too!! Check his "status" on BV-->I believe all he has are neg-->reps. He rarely posts. I wouldn't lose any sleep about outing him directly, none at all.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 08:28 PM
He has neg-repped me too!! Check his "status" on BV-->I believe all he has are neg-->reps. He rarely posts. I wouldn't lose any sleep about outing him directly, none at all.

Im sure I will get over it. Again...I didnt know it was a neg rep...it is showing up gray? It was his comments that came with it that got me a little heated.

CAS4127
11-11-2012, 08:31 PM
Im sure I will get over it. Again...I didnt know it was a neg rep...it is showing up gray? It was his comments that came with it that got me a little heated.

Yep, he typically throws in some asshat type comment when he neg reps me. He knows nothing about football and just hides behind his neg-rep abilities that BV allows him. He's got nothin' else.

IzzyFlexion
11-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Maybe a gray chicklet should mean that old shits like me can literally watch our hair change color for three hours each Saturday worrying about this team moving into the post season.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Maybe a gray chicklet should mean that old shits like me can literally watch our hair change color for three hours each Saturday worrying about this team moving into the post season.

Izzy I was only half kidding...you really should give recruiting tours.

semobison
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Again, the offense is rated number one in our conference. If our offense is terrible, then every offense in the entire conference is terrible. Hmmm. Granted, I'm frustrated about many of the same things that have been posted but I think people are overreacting. The other teams are good as well.

Our offense is NOT rated number 1 in the conference when you go to conference only games. Sure Roberet Morris and PV we had big numbers, but in conference games we are 3rd, basicly because we had some big games early and against USD! If there is anybody that cant see our offense is struggling, I dont know what they are watching...That being said, we struggled in the Valley at times last year and the offense and the run game exploded in our first 3 playoff games.

IzzyFlexion
11-11-2012, 08:47 PM
Izzy I was only half kidding...you really should give recruiting tours.

I'd be down fo some of that.
My contract, however, would have specify that I get the volleyball recruits as well. Nuttin' better than a hottie with a fake I.D. gettin a lap dance.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 08:48 PM
I'd be down fo some of that.
My contract, however, would have specify that I get the volleyball recruits as well. Nuttin' better than a hottie with a fake I.D. gettin a lap dance.

I actually meant to football players...but why didnt I see that coming. Set and Spike! Pun intended.

ndsubison1
11-11-2012, 09:07 PM
our offense reminds me of the eagles right now. the play calling is up and down and the qb is not performing well

ndsubison1
11-11-2012, 09:34 PM
also dinwiddie needs a bigger role in our offense

BlueBisonRock
11-11-2012, 09:57 PM
A grey chicklet is similar to a wet dream. The individual giving it up gains some pleasure, but the act has no impact on the rest of the world.

If the person who posts rep (either positive or negative) has fewer than 50 posts or has zero (or less, ie: red) reputation, their attempt to post rep gives the postee a message and the grey chicklet, but does not add or subtract rep points from the postee. In effect, grey chicklets show the impotence of the poster.

To answer your question, it was intended as neg rep, but did not get noticed by the system. Thus, the lead in comment.

CAS4127
11-11-2012, 10:12 PM

I agree with both of your posts my man Ming.

Wally
11-11-2012, 10:15 PM

I hear that. Especially with Crockett not fully healthy. He reminds of Sigers with his speed and smaller stature.

stevdock
11-11-2012, 10:23 PM
I think it will be very interesting to see what our offense can do against these other conferences in the playoffs. Will we put up CAA numbers going against their teams or will we continue to be inconsistent?? Think back to the playoffs the last two years and most of those games the offense looked very good against teams OOC. I'm in the camp that says the MVFC defenses are just plain out nasty and that's a huge reason why the offense is inconsistent.

The one thing we can hang on to though is our defense can and will shut down these other teams, no matter how good their offense is, i.e. GSU, Lehigh, Montana St, etc. Let's just get this next win and make sure someone has to come to the Dome to beat us.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I think it will be very interesting to see what our offense can do against these other conferences in the playoffs. Will we put up CAA numbers going against their teams or will we continue to be inconsistent?? Think back to the playoffs the last two years and most of those games the offense looked very good against teams OOC. I'm in the camp that says the MVFC defenses are just plain out nasty and that's a huge reason why the offense is inconsistent.

The one thing we can hang on to though is our defense can and will shut down these other teams, no matter how good their offense is, i.e. GSU, Lehigh, Montana St, etc. Let's just get this next win and make sure someone has to come to the Dome to beat us.

In all honesty I hope you are right and those of us complaining have to eat our words. Like someone else posted here earlier...I really hope he baiting playoff teams with that out and will start using the fakes and out and ups in playoffs.

NorthernBison
11-11-2012, 11:13 PM
My only argument with Teacher is his incorrect insistence that teams are picking off the SAME pass. NONE if the ISU picks were long outs to the long side of the field. The first two were standard West Coast patterns to the short side with one receiver at about 5 yards and another deeper.

You'll see that the MSU picks were also different.

BTW, if you don't like sideline patterns, you better find another team to watch. It is the staple of the offense Coach Bohl installed and it won't change until he's gone or decides to scrap the entire offense and retool.

BisonTeacher
11-11-2012, 11:21 PM
My only argument with Teacher is his incorrect insistence that teams are picking off the SAME pass. NONE if the ISU picks were long outs to the long side of the field. The first two were standard West Coast patterns to the short side with one receiver at about 5 yards and another deeper.

BTW, if you don't like sideline patterns, you better find another team to watch. It is the staple of the offense Coach Bohl installed and it won't change until he's gone or decides to scrap the entire offense and retool.

Yeah i dont remember every one. Ive tried to black them out. But there were some almost ints that were out patterns too. I never said get rid of it. I said mix it it up a little. The opponents have it figured out. Continuing to call it as is...is foolish at this point.

unbison
11-11-2012, 11:21 PM

He loves to call names I'm sure he is a lil timid man in person and why the intraweb suits him so well don't
Lose sleep if he was a man he would post a response to your opinion in the thread
Bison need to run the dam ball over and over and over

dragonsfan
11-12-2012, 03:22 AM
bisonteacher is really cool, whining about neg rep on a board. like ditka and cris carter say "cmon man"

stevdock
11-12-2012, 03:51 AM
our offense reminds me of the eagles right now. the play calling is up and down and the qb is not performing well

Our whole team reminds me of the Bears that I watch and try to cheer for every week. Defense dominant or at least good enough to win every game with a decent offense. Offense who to put it nicely is just horribly inconsistent. As a person who likes watching good offense, how the heck did I turn into a Bison and Bears fan ;) Here's to hoping both offenses turn it around quickly.

westnodak93bison
11-12-2012, 05:05 AM
Just finished watching the game again. IMHO, the O wasn't near as bad as I originally thought. Brock made one bad decision all game imho. The O line got beat a few times and Brock ate the sack. The QB runs were good calls imho. It was so obvious our D had control of the game there was no need to take any risk offensively.

NDSUstudent
11-12-2012, 06:26 AM
Bohl needs to get the fire back into the belly of our offense. We have never had a prolific offense but in the past our offense and defense played with the same level of confidence and intensity. That seems to have been missing over the past few weeks.

NDSUBowler
11-12-2012, 07:05 AM
The out routes were seemingly unstoppable earlier in the season. I loved every time we ran them because we had so much space time after time. Lately, his passes seem to have lost some zip or have been poorly thrown. The interception this week looked like a slow-motion pass across the field...those will never end well.

Every week it's the same drivel though, BV hates on Vigen and will continue to say 'our moment is coming' and when we finally lose, BV will let out a collective 'TOLD YOU SO...FIRE VIGEN' and if we win back to back NC's the rally call will be 'WE DID IT DESPITE VIGEN'....it gets old.

*'Can't wait to see more threads on Vigen' Face*

NorthernBison
11-12-2012, 10:11 AM
Yeah i dont remember every one. Ive tried to black them out. But there were some almost ints that were out patterns too. I never said get rid of it. I said mix it it up a little. The opponents have it figured out. Continuing to call it as is...is foolish at this point.

Brock does NOT have the arm to throw a sideline pattern from the opposite hash. That takes an NFL arm. I would agree that it should not be attempted unless there is a plan to set up a double move.

I've said it before, we do not have a true deep threat at WR. Nobody to force the secondary to play honest. That is a problem.

BisoninNWMN
11-12-2012, 10:52 AM
Brock does NOT have the arm to throw a sideline pattern from the opposite hash. That takes an NFL arm. I would agree that it should not be attempted unless there is a plan to set up a double move.

I've said it before, we do not have a true deep threat at WR. Nobody to force the secondary to play honest. That is a problem.

Vraa was until his injury.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 11:57 AM
bisonteacher is really cool, whining about neg rep on a board. like ditka and cris carter say "cmon man"

OK...I'll play.

First..Not sure How you think I was whining about a neg rep, when I didnt even know it was negative. It was gray. For a second I thought it was a good thing. What I was , as you put it "whining " about was the person said I was hurting recruiting.

I actually posted that earlier in this thread. So I am a little concerned about your reading comprehension skills....oh wait. Im guessing you went to Moorhead state. My apologies.

Lastly, I think you may be lost. This is the NDSU FOOTBALL fan forum. I think you may be looking for the Moorhead State basketball forum. Here is a link...

https://signup.ddo.com/ddo.php?utm_source=Clix&utm_medium=Google_Search&utm_campaign=DDO&referral=589202&ftui=DDOBlackDragonHC&abrs=902_1352724772

There you can fantasize and talk all you want about your D-III basketball team and how good your recruits are.

On_the_road
11-12-2012, 12:24 PM
OK...I'll play.

First..Not sure How you think I was whining about a neg rep, when I didnt even know it was negative. It was gray. For a second I thought it was a good thing. What I was , as you put it "whining " about was the person said I was hurting recruiting.

I actually posted that earlier in this thread. So I am a little concerned about your reading comprehension skills....oh wait. Im guessing you went to Moorhead state. My apologies.

Lastly, I think you may be lost. This is the NDSU FOOTBALL fan forum. I think you may be looking for the Moorhead State basketball forum. Here is a link...

https://signup.ddo.com/ddo.php?utm_source=Clix&utm_medium=Google_Search&utm_campaign=DDO&referral=589202&ftui=DDOBlackDragonHC&abrs=902_1352724772

There you can fantasize and talk all you want about your D-III basketball team and how good your recruits are.

LMAO.... now that was funny.

Bison55
11-12-2012, 12:30 PM
I noticed that there was rarely anyone lined up over our center, giving the appearance that Brock had 3-4 yards of open field anytime he wanted it if he just snapped the ball and followed the center.
The whole game I was wondering why he didn't take those yards??

westnodak93bison
11-12-2012, 12:57 PM
I noticed that there was rarely anyone lined up over our center, giving the appearance that Brock had 3-4 yards of open field anytime he wanted it if he just snapped the ball and followed the center.
The whole game I was wondering why he didn't take those yards??

Correct me if I'm wrong but someone mentioned their DTs were slanting in to take away the A gaps. Brock would have got punished dearly for 3-4yds imho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

heffray
11-12-2012, 01:37 PM

Come on, Teach, it's common knowledge that the Forum and even the Star Trib get a lot of their material from BV, it's only stands to reason that potential recruits would, too.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 01:53 PM
Come on, Teach, it's common knowledge that the Forum and even the Star Trib get a lot of their material from BV, it's only stands to reason that potential recruits would, too.

Good point. My bad.

WYOBISONMAN
11-12-2012, 02:21 PM
All cvbison does is neg rep people who question Vigen. I believe he has a man crush for Vigen. "cv"bison??!!! Think "centralvalley"bison-->Vigen's 9-man high school was Central Valley near Buxton ND for those that don't know.

Neg rep without any posts is chickenshit.......I found CV's last post (over 2 years ago) and whacked him with some neg reps just cause he is being an ass.

.....And you are right Charlie......his IP from his last post is a Polar Communications IP out of Mayville......

WYOBISONMAN
11-12-2012, 02:25 PM
I doubt it.

I sure hope you are right and I am dead wrong. I am so gun shy of the performance of this offense as of late that when the prayers were recited in church yesterday I mentally included the Bison O. I am getting paranoid..............

westnodak93bison
11-12-2012, 02:51 PM
I sure hope you are right and I am dead wrong. I am so gun shy of the performance of this offense as of late that when the prayers were recited in church yesterday I mentally included the Bison O. I am getting paranoid..............

Watch the game again. It was not nearly as bad as you think.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 02:57 PM
I think everyone that is leery about the offense right now hopes they are wrong. We all root for the same team.

Bison53
11-12-2012, 04:07 PM
Do we have fullback and tight ends with good hands, i missing these plays. Yes it looks like when nobody is over the center qb sneak should be called more often.

SDbison
11-12-2012, 05:30 PM
I think everyone that is leery about the offense right now hopes they are wrong. We all root for the same team. Amen Brother! So when does the Bison offense come out of its funk?...........after losing to Illinois State next week?........after losing its first playoff game (oops guess that is too late)? How much is the players fault and how much is due to the predictable offensive game plan? For some reason I just don't envision the Bison offense being able to drive the field in a 2 minute drill like SDSU did last Saturday and the Saturday before. Why can they do it with players that should be no better than what NDSU puts on the field.......and against the number 1 defense in the FCS nation?

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 05:32 PM
I just don't envision the Bison offense being able to drive the field in a 2 minute drill like SDSU did last Saturday

I don't know if I would go as far as giving SDSU's offense credit for scoring that last TD as much as I would say it was due to our defense going into the prevent to eat up clock. They did what we allowed them to do.

stevdock
11-12-2012, 05:34 PM
How often does our #1 Offense go up against our #1 Defense and is that a partial cause for Brock's apparent confidence issues??

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 05:35 PM
How often does our #1 Offense go up against our #1 Defense and is that a partial cause for Brock's apparent confidence issues??

I would think that would help slow things down for him. Cuz any defense he faces would not be as good. Kind of like swinging a heavy bat in the on-deck circle.

SDbison
11-12-2012, 05:38 PM
I don't know if I would go as far as giving SDSU's offense credit for scoring that last TD as much as I would say it was due to our defense going into the prevent to eat up clock. They did what we allowed them to do. Very little prevent D on that last drive. Yeah, NDSU allowed SDSU to score a TD rather than a field goal so that a onside kick could have brought SDSU back into the possibility of winning. What are you smoking?

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 05:40 PM
Very little prevent D on that last drive. Yeah, NDSU allowed SDSU to score a TD rather than a field goal so that a onside kick could have brought SDSU back into the possibility of winning. What are you smoking?

That wasnt a prevent? Looked like it to me.

EDit....and obviously I didnt mean we let them score. Duh... I wouldnt think I had to actually say that.

stevdock
11-12-2012, 05:47 PM
I would think that would help slow things down for him. Cuz any defense he faces would not be as good. Kind of like swinging a heavy bat in the on-deck circle.

I agree but if every pass is being batted down or intercepted, could the confidence be battered before he even steps on the field?? Either way I fully believe in Brock and he is part of the winning equation for the national championship run.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 05:50 PM
I agree but if every pass is being batted down or intercepted, could the confidence be battered before he even steps on the field?? Either way I fully believe in Brock and he is part of the winning equation for the national championship run.

Again...I really hope I am wrong and I keep hoping each week they will turn it around and we can all say...there we go! Theres the Bison offense I remember. I really hope its just a lot of good defenses in the MVC. Thus lets hope the MVC teams all get eliminated before we have to play on of them.

heffray
11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
Again...I really hope I am wrong and I keep hoping each week they will turn it around and we can all say...there we go! Theres the Bison offense I remember. I really hope its just a lot of good defenses in the MVC. Thus lets hope the MVC teams all get eliminated before we have to play on of them.

All the Bison fans on here hope that we come out of it goes without saying. I don't want to start something here, but whoever keeps posting the the ranking of our offense, either overall or in conference, needs to stop. That literally means nothing. Everyone on here, pro-, anti-, or indifferent to Vigen, need to be looking at the play on the field and disregarding the rankings of our offense. If you do that, you KNOW something needs to change.

SDbison
11-12-2012, 05:55 PM
I agree but if every pass is being batted down or intercepted, could the confidence be battered before he even steps on the field?? Either way I fully believe in Brock and he is part of the winning equation for the national championship run. I believe in Brock, I just don't believe in NDSU's offensive game plan that has counted on the dice roll coming out in our favor for way too long. I am done with Vigen bashing because I actually feel he is a great guy that is in over his head. Bohl as a defensive minded head coach has to start having a bit higher standards for his offense. And yes, when the Bison lay an egg possibly this weekend and /or early in the playoffs I will say I told you so to the offensive apologists. But of course they still won't get it.

stevdock
11-12-2012, 05:57 PM
When was the last time we truly went deep?? SIU reverse pass?? If so did Brock hurt his arm somehow between then and now?? Or is there something going on we have no business knowing about, i.e. family, personal, etc.

Just questions as the Brock that was interviewed after the game was truly a shell of the kid who started the season.

BisonTeacher
11-12-2012, 05:59 PM
When was the last time we truly went deep?? SIU reverse pass?? If so did Brock hurt his arm somehow between then and now?? Or is there something going on we have no business knowing about, i.e. family, personal, etc.

Just questions as the Brock that was interviewed after the game was truly a shell of the kid who started the season.

This topic has been raised a few times. I have wondered about injury too. BUt you would think we would pass less if he was hurt and it would be obvious we were trying to establish the run and avoid throwing.

westnodak93bison
11-13-2012, 01:11 AM
If teams are dropping 8 to me that means they respect our pass more than the run. Is it safe to say our run blocking is not as dominant as it once was?

heckler
11-13-2012, 01:17 AM
If teams are dropping 8 to me that means they respect our pass more than the run. Is it safe to say our run blocking is not as dominant as it once was?

Vigen will throw even if they weren't rushing anyone. Fall on your own sword and retire with dignity and go back to coaching 9 man.

Tatanka
11-13-2012, 01:22 AM
go back to coaching 9 man.Didn't know he ever coached in the Big Sky.

heckler
11-13-2012, 01:29 AM
Didn't know he ever coached in the Big Sky.

Zing! so true

CAS4127
11-13-2012, 01:35 AM

You make a good point, and have made me come full circle. My biggest concern coming into this year was the O-line. We have done fine against weaker opponents and or pinned our ears back against one or two tougher ones, but, well, as Tranny quotes me... nuff said!! O and your OC is supposed to know your own strengths and weaknesses. Just sayin' Tranny!!

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-13-2012, 02:24 AM

I'm down with that.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-13-2012, 02:31 AM
OK...I'll play.

FYI "dragons fan" = Lakes.

Tatanka
11-13-2012, 02:37 AM
FYI "dragons fan" = Lakes.http://lparchive.org/Lufia-The-Legend-Returns/Update%2012/26-No-Darth_Vader.jpg

344Johnson
11-13-2012, 02:38 AM
bring back veer, save season.

stevdock
11-13-2012, 02:48 AM
Vigen will throw even if they weren't rushing anyone. Fall on your own sword and retire with dignity and go back to coaching 9 man.

You do know he has never coached 9 man right?? Graduated from NDSU in 98 and worked his way up to where he's at now. If you are gonna slam the guy at least get your facts right.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
11-13-2012, 02:49 AM
This topic has been raised a few times. I have wondered about injury too. BUt you would think we would pass less if he was hurt and it would be obvious we were trying to establish the run and avoid throwing.

We did just that last week.

45 rushing attempts vs. 18 passing. Almost all passing attempts were the "dink and dunk" type. Very few attempts more than 10 yards. Brock was off on a few of them.

It is blatantly obvious the coaching staff has lost faith in Brock's throwing abilities and has therefore altered the game plan to accommodate this deficiency.

So this begs the question. If faith has been lost in the starting QB and the gameplan has already been altered, then why not see what the backup can do? At this point I think Carson could hand off the ball as well as Brock. What have we got to lose?

stevdock
11-13-2012, 02:50 AM
bring back veer, save season.

I know you are joking but I think Brock would be an excellent option QB. Maybe someone with more season could correct me, but I don't think the line is quite built right to handle that scheme though.

heckler
11-13-2012, 04:10 AM
You do know he has never coached 9 man right?? Graduated from NDSU in 98 and worked his way up to where he's at now. If you are gonna slam the guy at least get your facts right.

Just thought his great football mind was in 9man? Thought I would give him that much at least.

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 11:49 AM
FYI "dragons fan" = Lakes.

Yes I heard that from someone else yesterday as well. Its too bad...I thought it was a pretty funny post. Maybe the Dungeons and Dragons thing still works for him though. If it is Lakes, He is really cool. taking a dig at someone he doesnt know while hiding and pretending not to be himself. Come on Man!

We did just that last week.

45 rushing attempts vs. 18 passing. Almost all passing attempts were the "dink and dunk" type. Very few attempts more than 10 yards. Brock was off on a few of them.

It is blatantly obvious the coaching has lost faith in Brock's throwing abilities and has therefore altered the game plan to accommodate this deficiency.

So this begs the question. If faith has been lost in the starting QB and the gameplan has already been altered, then why not see what the backup can do? At this point I think Carson could had off the ball as well as Brock. What have we got to lose?

Yep. I know we have run more if you look at total play breakdown, but other than the SDSU game we came out passing first the last few games. If he was hurt, would there be a logical explanation as to why they would do that?

BisonNation11
11-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Yep. I know we have run more if you look at total play breakdown, but other than the SDSU game we came out passing first the last few games. If he was hurt, would there be a logical explanation as to why they would do that?

I think it was just a scheme to take advantage of their defense. They obviously saw something on film that felt rushing and QB keeps would be more effective than trying to shove a square peg in a round hole. It worked. We won the game.

Now if the pessimist in me were to comment I'd say it was one of three things:
1. Brock has been getting dinged up a lot lately with some pretty nasty shots on sacks. It takes its toll when you don't have two weeks to rest up.
2. He seriously is hurt. The hamstring injury from earlier this year isn't healing. However, this wouldn't make sense when he out-ran everybody on the field for a huge run.
3. They feel Brock gives us a better chance to win over Carson because he's not ready despite any setbacks on Brock's part.

I'm still sticking with scheme. Control the clock and the ball, win the game.

bisonsupporter
11-13-2012, 02:51 PM
In Brock's defense, Defensive Coordinators should just use a Cover 2 or a Man with help over the top. With no real threat in the middle of the field, secondarys can key on the outside. There is plenty of film on the routes our WR's run. Last year out patterns worked because we had DJ getting passes over the middle. Defenses wanted to close that down. When they didnt middle passes and middle screens were big gainers.

As someone who has watched game film and have a little coaching experience, I, personally, do not think that Brock has the arm for the deep out throws. Sure he can get away with it against less than average FCS DB's but if you get an average to above average guy, pick 6 is going to happen. The out throw from the same side hash is ok, its those deep outs DB's are baiting him and making the picks. One pass I think Brock is really good at is the deep touch pass on a flag/post route. Brock anticipates that throw very well.

Bisonfan1
11-13-2012, 03:07 PM
Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, the Bison O is not tipping their hand, and as long as the game is controlled are not bringing out the looks/plays till needed, specifically until the playoffs ? Like surprise surprise ha ha you guys never saw this all year on film ? Do not underestimate the coaching staff, they appear to know what they are doing as the Bison are 9-1 and poised for another title run. im just thinking out loud, on the keyboard, and flame away but im not ready to jump ship just yet. "JUST SAYIN" = ( stole from CAS ) At any rate my comments will provide me entertainment throughout the day today.

CAS4127
11-13-2012, 03:17 PM
Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, the Bison O is not tipping their hand, and as long as the game is controlled are not bringing out the looks/plays till needed, specifically until the playoffs ? Like surprise surprise ha ha you guys never saw this all year on film ? Do not underestimate the coaching staff, they appear to know what they are doing as the Bison are 9-1 and poised for another title run. im just thinking out loud, on the keyboard, and flame away but im not ready to jump ship just yet. "JUST SAYIN" = ( stole from CAS ) At any rate my comments will provide me entertainment throughout the day today.

I don't believe there is any possible way we are "saving" plays for the PO's. To win the NC, we need to have home field advantage, and to have home field advantage we need to win every game basically. So, if we are "saving" plays, it would be assinine!! Also, the more an opposing defense has to prepare for, the less they can specifically prepare for-->that is, if we "show" all of our plays during the season (no, not just in one game) the more plays/looks the opposing D has to prepare for, and the less they can prepare for our "run" game or other part of the offense.

I just am not buying into the "saving" plays thing, but to each there own on the subject.

WYOBISONMAN
11-13-2012, 03:19 PM

While I am nervous about the performance of the Bison O, maybe this is possible. But....on the other hand, why would have we not done something more to avoid our loss?

Bisonfan1
11-13-2012, 03:26 PM
While I am nervous about the performance of the Bison O, maybe this is possible. But....on the other hand, why would have we not done something more to avoid our loss?

That is the only factor that doesnt hold up in this theory, but when you have the turnovers like they did in that game, the game was no longer controlled. So I dont know ?? I think we will all have an explanation in time.

bisonsupporter
11-13-2012, 03:29 PM
Pretty obvious a bye week is needed?

Bisonfan1
11-13-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't believe there is any possible way we are "saving" plays for the PO's. To win the NC, we need to have home field advantage, and to have home field advantage we need to win every game basically. So, if we are "saving" plays, it would be assinine!! Also, the more an opposing defense has to prepare for, the less they can specifically prepare for-->that is, if we "show" all of our plays during the season (no, not just in one game) the more plays/looks the opposing D has to prepare for, and the less they can prepare for our "run" game or other part of the offense.

I just am not buying into the "saving" plays thing, but to each there own on the subject.

I see what your saying, but if the game is controlled, do they need to open the playbook ? Im not totally buying into this either, but i still think it could possibly be a what if factor. At least we are all in the some boat trying to figuire this out.

Bisonfan1
11-13-2012, 03:31 PM

We have a winner !!!

CAS4127
11-13-2012, 03:31 PM

How many bye's are there the first week, because you are correct IMO?!?!?

WYOBISONMAN
11-13-2012, 03:32 PM
That is the only factor that doesnt hold up in this theory, but when you have the turnovers like they did in that game, the game was no longer controlled. So I dont know ?? I think we will all have an explanation in time.

To me Vigen is the weakest link in our coaching staff. That being said.....just how weak of a link is he when we have a National Title that was earned (and earned with solid play) under his watch. It surely wasn't Bohl calling the O last season. That is why even though I am critical of our recent offensive play, I sure as hell would never want to dump Vigen as the title of this thread suggests.

I think of that old game show Let's Make a Deal. If we trade the good prize in the box and try for something bigger behind door #2......we could get screwed.

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Has anyone thought that maybe, just maybe, the Bison O is not tipping their hand

Actually Yes...a few people have said this. Half Jokingly, but half hoping it is true.

BisonNeil
11-13-2012, 03:43 PM
How many bye's are there the first week, because you are correct IMO?!?!?

8. 12 next year.

I personally think this is a great reference website, historically speaking, and can answer a lot of questions such as yours.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/history-of-the-fcs-playoffs/

CAS4127
11-13-2012, 04:14 PM
8. 12 next year.

I personally think this is a great reference website, historically speaking, and can answer a lot of questions such as yours.

http://www.championshipsubdivision.com/history-of-the-fcs-playoffs/

Thanks, BNeil!!!

westnodak93bison
11-13-2012, 04:24 PM
To me Vigen is the weakest link in our coaching staff. That being said.....just how weak of a link is he when we have a National Title that was earned (and earned with solid play) under his watch. It surely wasn't Bohl calling the O last season. That is why even though I am critical of our recent offensive play, I sure as hell would never want to dump Vigen as the title of this thread suggests.

I think of that old game show Let's Make a Deal. If we trade the good prize in the box and try for something bigger behind door #2......we could get screwed.

I would give TP a shot at QB coach and play calling. Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty much everything he has touched at NDSU has improved significantly.

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 05:33 PM
I sure as hell would never want to dump Vigen as the title of this thread suggests.

I think you are referring to the "Fire Vigen Save season" thread. Maybe you posted this in the wrong one? This thread was posted with NO INTENTIONS of calling for his firing. I don't believe I have ever said that. The thread was started to vent my frustrations of the offense not making adjustments to what the opposing defenses are obviously reading.

tony
11-13-2012, 05:58 PM
I think you are referring to the "Fire Vigen Save season" thread. Maybe you posted this in the wrong one? This thread was posted with NO INTENTIONS of calling for his firing. I don't believe I have ever said that. The thread was started to vent my frustrations of the offense not making adjustments to what the opposing defenses are obviously reading.

Didn't the offense do that last week though? I can think of a couple of examples - the most obvious being that they ran Brock in a number of ways and broke their short yardage tendency for a TD.

What weaknesses did SDSU show that we could have exploited? They certainly weren't fooled by the inside screen. It looked like they had a pretty good defense to me.

CAS4127
11-13-2012, 06:01 PM
Didn't the offense do that last week though? I can think of a couple of examples - the most obvious being that they ran Brock in a number of ways and broke their short yardage tendency for a TD.

What weaknesses did SDSU show that we could have exploited? They certainly weren't fooled by the inside screen. It looked like they had a pretty good defense to me.

Here! This is what he wrote in his "Open letter to Coach Vigen"-->its questioning the "out pattern" and why changes/adjustments aren't being made to it or even calling it. At least that is how I read it.

Having said that, I am very concerned with these "out patterns" we are throwing. Why do they keep getting picked off? Does Brock have a tell? I've heard everything from slapping his butt and looking at the second page of his wrist playbook.

The point is...I have no football knowledge or experience. Yet, I cringe every time we throw that route. If I can see what's coming...I'm guessing the other team can as well. The definition of insanity is doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. How about an out an up? A pump fake maybe? Getting rid of the play altogether might be a little drastic, but how many times does this have to happen before we change something?

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 06:05 PM

As I posted in the "Win is a win" thread....It was better yes, more play action, more brock runs...getting the TEs involved more. .Specifically though this thread was directed at the interceptions.

gotts
11-13-2012, 06:37 PM
I agree that if the out routes are getting closed in on by the opposing cornerbacks, why can't a chair route with a pump fake be used if Brock has the protection?

westnodak93bison
11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
I agree that if the out routes are getting closed in on by the opposing cornerbacks, why can't a chair route with a pump fake be used if Brock has the protection?

It's in Bohl's hip pocket.

bisonsupporter
11-13-2012, 07:06 PM
It's in Bohl's hip pocket.

see fake punt from last year :)

WYOBISONMAN
11-13-2012, 07:28 PM

I am over 50 and probably having some mild bouts of senility.......:hide:

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 07:31 PM
I am over 50 and probably having some mild bouts of senility.......:hide:

No worries. I just noticed Tony had posted in another thread something about Threads calling for people firing or calling players out...And then I saw your post here...Just wanted it to be clear I did not start one of those threads. :biggrin:

NorthernBison
11-13-2012, 08:05 PM
I would give TP a shot at QB coach and play calling. Correct me if I'm wrong but pretty much everything he has touched at NDSU has improved significantly.

Make him the head coach. Didn't he take over the special teams spot from Craig? :biggrin:

CaBisonFan
11-13-2012, 08:52 PM
Wonder if Brent has read the letter.

BisonTeacher
11-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Wonder if Brent has read the letter.

Did you forget your purple font? :biggrin:

T-Funk
11-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Dear Coach Vigen,

Let me start off by saying I have no actual football experience. I have never played or coached at any level. Full disclosure, I am nothing but an armchair quarterback and football rube.

In case I'm not being clear, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT! THE OTHER TEAMS HAVE FIGURED IT OUT.

Thank you for all your hard work and good luck in the playoffs. Hope to see you in Frisco.

Go Bison!

Sincerely,
BisonTeacher
Bisonville Rube/Armchair QB

Rather than posting a thread titled "An Open Letter to Coach Vigen" in a fan forum, why don't you email him (Brent.Vigen@ndsu.edu). Or better yet, call him (231-7795). It only took me about 10 seconds to find his contact info on gobison.com. C'mon man!

BisonTeacher
11-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Rather than posting a thread titled "An Open Letter to Coach Vigen" in a fan forum, why don't you email him (Brent.Vigen@ndsu.edu). Or better yet, call him (231-7795). It only took me about 10 seconds to find his contact info on gobison.com. C'mon man!

Because it wasnt a REAL letter. Next time I will use purple font for you. Lighten up buddy.

T-Funk
11-14-2012, 12:28 AM
Because it wasnt a REAL letter. Next time I will use purple font for you. Lighten up buddy.

I realize that. But this topic has become tiresome.

CAS4127
11-14-2012, 12:32 AM

As has our offense. The simple fact is we are all uptight about the O not playing well, and there are those who express that frustration, those that just stew on it and those that don't want to deal with or admit it. It's an effing NDSU board, so you are gonna get things that may not be agreeable with your own constitution, but it's reality ... well, for the most part.

BisonTeacher
11-14-2012, 12:32 AM

So Don't read it.

Bison"FANatic"
11-14-2012, 12:33 AM

Then don't open the thread and read it, it really isn't that hard. Teach was just expressing his opinions you don't have to agree with them but if people want to discuss it well go for it. Where there is smoke there is usually fire.

Teach typed faster than me. Dang ipad:mad::biggrin:

WYOBISONMAN
11-14-2012, 11:25 AM
A fan board is for fans to express their opinions on our team. The lackluster offense is surely an important topic.

El_Chapo
11-16-2014, 04:38 PM
I love this thread....hilarious!!

I love this.... Originally Posted by BisonTeacher
Dear Coach Vigen,