PDA

View Full Version : Willie Mack Garza may be gone.....

WYOBISONMAN
11-27-2006, 07:34 PM
From Kolpacks latest blog it seems that Willie Mack Garza may be moving to Texas A&M Kingsville as the Head Coach. A big loss for NDSU, but, hopefully Bohl can fill that spot. I think Garza had lot to do with the incredible Bison defense this year. Big shoes to fill indeed...... :-/

Here is the linky..........

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

MinotBison
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
Let the speculation begin. If WMG goes, who takes his place? Would Gus Bradley ever consider coming back to take that position?

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-27-2006, 08:36 PM
It would be nice to keep everyone around, but even if we lose a couple pieces from the coaching staff I think we will rebound and be fine next year.

tony
11-27-2006, 08:55 PM
TAMUK would be crazy not to give him a look. However, they brought two candidates in to meet the public and neither of them was Garza... on the other hand, Coach Garza probably doesn't need an introduction.

SDbison
11-27-2006, 09:52 PM
Would be nice to have a year without coaching departures. Is that too much to ask?

silkamilkamonico
11-27-2006, 10:11 PM
Was Garza our connection to the Texas "pipeline"?

If so, this woul dhave some affect on recruiting, even just for a little.

He isn't going to send anybody our way if he thinks he has a shot at them.

silkamilkamonico
11-27-2006, 10:12 PM
Would be nice to have a year without coaching departures. *Is that too much to ask?

With having successful seasons, unfortunately yes.

SDbison
11-27-2006, 11:38 PM
Can we do anything to keep Garza here? More pay, benefits, etc.? What is so great about being a DII coach anyway (pay hike, but in the deteriorating DII world is it worth it). I am surprized Garza wouldn't have been offered a defensive coordinator position at a DI-A school. Now that would be a pay hike.

silkamilkamonico
11-27-2006, 11:59 PM
Can we do anything to keep Garza here? *More pay, benefits, etc.? *What is so great about being a DII coach anyway (pay hike, but in the deteriorating DII world is it worth it). *I am surprized Garza wouldn't have been offered a defensive coordinator position at a DI-A school. *Now that would be a pay hike. * *

Although I don't know for sure, making the job from a coordinator to a head coach isn't really about money or benefits, it's an oppurtunity for a coach to climb the ladder of his profession.

If you were an assistant for a highly successful buisness, and you had an oppurtunity to move to another company and be the head honcho, I think it's safe to say any buisnessman in their right mind would make that move. It's about the possability of furthering their career onto bigger and better things.

If Garza has aspirations for being a head coach someday, whether it's big time college, or NFL, or whatever, it would be a huge mistake for him to not take that job at A&M Kingsville if it was offered.

Not to say he couldn't get their if he stays at NDSU for another year, but it would be a huge step in the right direction for him, and a big oppurtunity.

Snoop-a-Loop
11-28-2006, 12:07 AM
Willie Mack probably makes about $55-65 as a coordinator at NDSU. I certainly hope Willie Mack stays. Both he and Reggie Moore are the Texas connections for recruiting. If he does leave though, there are a ton of coaches this year looking for jobs with all the coaching staffs that have been fired. And it is well known that NDSU is good place to regroup and move on. So I think we will have a ton of interest. Look at this list of former Bohl assistants:

Jimmy Burrow (Ohio)
Nelson Barnes (Oklahoma State)
Tim Albin (Ohio)
Van Malone (Texas A&M)
Jeff McInerny (Head Coach at Central Connecticut)
Casey Bradley (Tampa Bay Buccaneers)
Dan Enos (Michigan State)(probably out of job now-although his former coach he worked for at Cincinnati just got the head coaching job at Michigan State)

Bisonguy
11-28-2006, 12:07 AM

Yes, Garza was the Houston pipeline.

1bizon1
11-28-2006, 12:10 AM
Coach Bradley is with the Buccaneers. The only way he will be job hunting is if Gruden loses the head coaching position and the new head coach "cleans house." Going back to the Bison as the D Cord would be great for us Bison fans but I believe it would be a step backwards in his career. Once you get your foot in the NFL's coaches door, unless a Head Coaching position comes calling at a pretty good football school (NDSU?!)......

Jdubs21
11-28-2006, 01:14 AM
it will be a loss but with our tradition and bohl as the coach i am sure we will find a replacement

sambini
11-28-2006, 03:19 AM

Reggie IS OUR KEY IN TEXAS. hE IS A NATIVE OF Houston.

kchats
11-28-2006, 03:24 AM
Remember this is Coach Bohl's team and his offense and defense. The coordinators have changed but the systems have remained the same. If I remember correctly Casey Bradley oversaw a pretty good defense in 2005 before leaving for Tampa. Willie Mack did a great job this year with quite a bit of young talent. There are plenty of good coaches currently on the coaching staff, Todd Wash comes to mind to take over if need be. Coach Bohl has also shown the ability to hire quality coaches that get new positions quickly after having success under Bohl. Coach Bohl really pushes his coaches to pursue opportunities that better their careers and that makes working for him very attractive. The Bison will have a great defense that will be great again next season with Willie Mack or another defensive coordinator.

sambini
11-28-2006, 03:28 AM
Well said KCHATS++++

mikelsch
11-28-2006, 03:58 PM
I would be mildly surprised if Coach Garza took a DII head job, even if it is in Texas. He is/will be qualified to take over a I-AA head job; if not this year, definitely after a presumably successful 2007 season as DC for NDSU.

Jeffdaryl3rd
11-28-2006, 04:05 PM
This is one of the negatives that comes with running a successful D-I Championship Sub-division (aka 1-AA) program. Coaches will take positions at other schools because of their success at NDSU. Oh well, if this is the worst thing we have to deal with, I think we'll be alright.

suherdscribe
11-28-2006, 09:41 PM
This talk about Bohl going or staying is for the birds. Or even his assistants, for that matter. Each one of Bohl's assistants who left have bettered themselves. Willie Mack is no different. Or others including Bohl. Any coach I've been associated with, at all levels, encourages improvement on and off the field, in the classroom too. To work hard, work at being a better student, an athlete, a coach now and in the future.

I hope Coach Bohl stays, but he's destined for greater things. I admit I was looking at the Iowa and Michigan newspapers for Bohl's name, hoping he hasn't been found yet by another school. But he will be found for his coaching accomplishments at NDSU, and his successes at Nebraska, Duke, Tulsa, Wisconsin and Baylor (hope I didn't leave any school out).

Others have coached here and gone on to more coaching accomplishments as far back as Mudra, Erhardt and as recent as Wacker, Morton, Solomonson, Hager and Babich. None, except Hager who bleeds Bison Green and Gold (his words) would have stayed at NDSU until his end. All got another opportunity.

I go back as far as Wacker and hoped he wouldn't leave, but he did. As did Morton to Tulsa and then Wisconsin. And when Wacker left for Texas there was an assitant named Morton. And then another assistant named Solomonson and then Hager. And on and on it goes and it will continue.

The level of competition has changed but Bison football will live on and it will prosper. If Bohl leaves, and I'm sure he will someday, I will wish him well and hope he succeeds. I will fondly remember Bohl accomplishments just as some remember Wacker, Mudra, Morton, Solomonson, Hagar and Babich. Then I will get geared up to welcome the next in line and look forward to another successful Bison football season and another national championship.

BisonSig
11-28-2006, 10:22 PM
This talk about Bohl going or staying is for the birds. Or even his assistants, for that matter. Each one of Bohl's assistants who left have bettered themselves. Willie Mack is no different. Or others including Bohl. Any coach I've been associated with, at all levels, encourages improvement on and off the field, in the classroom too. To work hard, work at being a better student, an athlete, a coach now and in the future.

I hope Coach Bohl stays, but he's destined for greater things. I admit I was looking at the Iowa and Michigan newspapers for Bohl's name, hoping he hasn't been found yet by another school. But he will be found for his coaching accomplishments at NDSU, and his successes at Nebraska, Duke, Tulsa, Wisconsin and Baylor (hope I didn't leave any school out).

Others have coached here and gone on to more coaching accomplishments as far back as Mudra, Erhardt and as recent as Wacker, Morton, Solomonson, Hager and Babich. None, except Hager who bleeds Bison Green and Gold (his words) would have stayed at NDSU until his end. All got another opportunity.

I go back as far as Wacker and hoped he wouldn't leave, but he did. As did Morton to Tulsa and then Wisconsin. And when Wacker left for Texas there was an assitant named Morton. And then another assistant named Solomonson and then Hager. And on and on it goes and it will continue.

The level of competition has changed but Bison football will live on and it will prosper. If Bohl leaves, and I'm sure he will someday, I will wish him well and hope he succeeds. I will fondly remember Bohl accomplishments just as some remember Wacker, Mudra, Morton, Solomonson, Hagar and Babich. Then I will get geared up to welcome the next in line and look forward to another successful Bison football season and another national championship.

Very well said, and unfortunately true. Winning programs send their coaches upward and onward. They then look for the next person to guide young men and continue the Tradition.

No_Skill
11-30-2006, 02:55 AM
It's kind of funny. I think the reason NDSU football is, has always been, and always will be a successful program is because the fans demand it. Coaches, players, and ADs will come and go, but as long as we remain Bison fans who demand success, we will have it.

I am thankful for all the past successes, grateful for the present success, and will demand future success.

GO BISON!

CaBisonFan
12-01-2006, 02:46 AM
From Kolpacks latest blog it seems that Willie Mack Garza may be moving to Texas A&M Kingsville as the Head Coach. *A big loss for NDSU, but, hopefully Bohl can fill that spot. *I think Garza had *lot to do with the incredible Bison defense this year. *Big shoes to fill indeed...... :-/

Here is the linky..........

http://www.areavoices.com/bisonmedia/

'tis the price of success

He will be missed if he goes, of course, and he deserves a ton of credit. Every successful program in the country suffers this double-edged sword....no matter where, or what university it is. It's a rare assistant that stays around when they've made a name for themselves, especially when they're at the age where they are moving up the ladder. It's about professional goals...and money....sometimes location.

Thanks for the info.

56BISON73
12-01-2006, 03:53 AM
If a coach is worth his salt he is already known in the coaching fraternity. Most are under a microscope even if they are coaching for other schools. Most are paying there dues, gaining experience and proving they can perform at a higher level. All that time they are networking and developing relationships with others in the fraternity.
Its not a matter of if, more of when the changes will occur. Unless there is a total throwback to the days when loyalty ment something. But in this day of ridiculous compensation one never knows. PL

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 03:57 AM
While loyalty is important, coaches and players alike need to do what is best for them, their family and their future. If Willie Mack goes, it shouldn't be considered disloyalty. Not even close.

56BISON73
12-01-2006, 04:15 AM
I didnt mean to infer that he would be disloyal as I understand the need to chase the dreams, dollars and whats best for ones family. Especially in this day and age. PL

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-01-2006, 04:42 AM
Okay, reread the post and see what you're going for. Basically the same thing I'm thinking.