PDA

View Full Version : Emotional Letdown

Gully
11-04-2012, 12:38 AM
There are enough other threads discussion poor QB play today and questionable play calling. Let's consider if part of the problem is a sort of big game hangover. SU is a big game program....as bad as we looked today would anyone be at all surprised if this team beat a Big 10 team next week (if they were on the schedule)? I wouldn't be surprised.

I just wonder if it's human nature to have a let down ocassionally. Not making excuses, the offense surely needs to play better than they did today. However, if we can get a bye and regroup, I think we'll be just fine and well positioned for another long playoff run.

Kolpack hits on this point at the end of his newest Forum piece.

HerdBot
11-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Agree. It's going to happen. Bohl has hit on this numerous times. Next week the blood will be pumping for players and fans. The difference is th is years team is good enough to win these games unlike the 2010 team who lost 3-0

Da_Bison
11-04-2012, 02:15 AM
Agree. It's going to happen. Bohl has hit on this numerous times. Next week the blood will be pumping for players and fans. The difference is th is years team is good enough to win these games unlike the 2010 team who lost 3-0

yep...not to mention, we are the #1 team in the Country and we have a huge target on our back, today was MSU's Super Bowl, we gets EVERYONE's best game. Like when were playing the Gophers. If we can somehow get through the next 2 games with wins, this team WILL kick ass in the playoffs

2 years ago we lost to MSU (3-0) and alot of people thought we didnt belong in the playoffs, well, we got in and had a damn nice showing and came up a tad short on the Pink turf to the eventual champs

BisonTeacher
11-04-2012, 02:18 AM
Fire Gully save season.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 02:20 AM
Agreed...agreed...agreed.

We play against the best effort of the year by most teams. It's almost like we're an FBS program that people want to beat badly.

DCs are designing their defensive scheme around stopping what we do.

Great post.

gizmo
11-04-2012, 02:46 AM
Do emotions cause players to make bad decisions, drop passes, miss blocks, etc.? I hope not.

The argument that teams prepare better for NDSU than other teams makes no sense to me. Every game counts the same.

EndZoneQB
11-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Agreed...agreed...agreed.

We play against the best effort of the year by most teams. It's almost like we're an FBS program that people want to beat badly.

DCs are designing their defensive scheme around stopping what we do.

Great post.

Um..hate to break it to you, but DC's do that with every team they play...

heckler
11-04-2012, 02:49 AM

that's too funny

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 03:14 AM

Weeks in advance?

Geez...I didn't know that DCs prepare for teams every week.

BisonNation11
11-04-2012, 03:35 AM

You'd be a fool to believe we don't receive extra attention in the hopes of knocking off the champs.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 03:48 AM
It's my opinion that the injuries to our receivers, Crockett, and Bruehn have created problems for Brock. It's different every week.

It seems like Ryan Smith isn't as effective in his pass routes...but Jensen still wants to go to him. He forces it to him. Damn hamstring.

And...the two redshirt freshmen in the o-line have done well...but not good enough against some very stout front sevens.

EndZoneQB
11-04-2012, 03:48 AM
Weeks in advance?

Can someone else take this one?

You'd be a fool to believe we don't receive extra attention in the hopes of knocking off the champs.

LOL, ok. Generally you prepare the same way for EVERY game. Do the players get up more for a big game? Yep, likely. Coaches generally try to keep preparation the same week to week...

BlueBisonRock
11-04-2012, 03:59 AM
MSU was up for this game. I respect the fact that they believed they would win and are not taking their loss as a morale victory (No Muss!)

The post game quotes (http://www.missouristatebears.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/110312aad.html)showed that they were definately up for this game. This team is starting to believe and will be a force in the future. Watch for the UNI score in two weeks.

FarSouth Bison
11-04-2012, 11:46 AM
And SDSU won't be!

HerdBot
11-04-2012, 10:50 PM
Do emotions cause players to make bad decisions, drop passes, miss blocks, etc.? I hope not.

The argument that teams prepare better for NDSU than other teams makes no sense to me. Every game counts the same.

Kind of like we dont prepare harder for the Gophers or are more pumped up? Beating the #1 team in the nation and the national champions is a big deal. A seasons highlight for many.

CaBisonFan
11-04-2012, 10:58 PM

That's right...football is a non-emotional game...and the players are not affected by emotions...

...and they don't get up for playing the #1 team in the country. We're just imagining it.

A1pigskin
11-05-2012, 12:29 AM
Being number 1, there is always a target on your back.

bisonrock
11-05-2012, 12:33 AM
Did you WATCH the game? The back of Colville's jersey has Ojuri's footprints all over it. The two Freshman and the whole O-Line have been tough and effective opening up holes and giving Brock all kinds of time to throw.
It's my opinion that the injuries to our receivers, Crockett, and Bruehn have created problems for Brock. It's different every week.

It seems like Ryan Smith isn't as effective in his pass routes...but Jensen still wants to go to him. He forces it to him. Damn hamstring.

And...the two redshirt freshmen in the o-line have done well...but not good enough against some very stout front sevens.

BisonTeacher
11-05-2012, 12:35 AM

Unfortunately they do. If a kids head is not right or not in the game it can affect their play.

BisonEngrGirl
11-05-2012, 12:40 AM

Some of the big FBS teams (Alabama for example) put a lot of money into mentally and emotionally preparing their players all year long. There was a good article about it in Sports Illustrated a few months ago. The mindset of players has a lot to do with their confidence and effectiveness is games. My dad (Killdeer) told me he talked to Jensen's dad once, and he said Brock would get so worked up before some of his high school games that the coach would make him run laps before the game to settle down. I know this post had been replied to several times already, just had to get my two cents in :)

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

HerdBot
11-05-2012, 12:44 AM

You are correct. Endzone is a foolish son of a bitch

EndZoneQB
11-05-2012, 12:54 AM
You are correct. Endzone is a foolish son of a bitch

Yep, you're right. I'm wrong. Teams prepare differently EACH week depending on the opponent. :facepalm:

You don't really believe that do you?

BisonEngrGirl
11-05-2012, 01:00 AM
Yep, you're right. I'm wrong. Teams prepare differently EACH week depending on the opponent. :facepalm:

Why would teams watch tape of their upcoming opponent each week if they didn't plan to make adjustments/take advantage of the opponents' weaknesses? I agree that teams have a general preparation they go through, but there have to be some specific preparations every week depending on the opponent. At least that's what I would assume.

tjbison
11-05-2012, 01:00 AM

I think they are referring to the intensity, they don't plan for it but knowing your playing the top team induces a little more fire over and above the normal preparations

EndZoneQB
11-05-2012, 01:08 AM
Why would teams watch tape of their upcoming opponent each week if they didn't plan to make adjustments/take advantage of the opponents' weaknesses? I agree that teams have a general preparation they go through, but there have to be some specific preparations every week depending on the opponent. At least that's what I would assume.

...Yeah I know. They prep for each team...but the schedule of things is the same. Normalcy/routine is good.

I think they are referring to the intensity, they don't plan for it but knowing your playing the top team induces a little more fire over and above the normal preparations

I don't think they are...considering I said just that earlier.

BlueBisonRock
11-05-2012, 01:31 AM
Some coaches do in fact change their schedule as they prepare for a big game. In my case, I fed the kids raw meat to increase their agressiveness, worked them harder through the week, and had them hitting practice dummies with a football on top as hard as they could the Thursday practice before a Saturday game. On Saturday, I would tell the linebackers that the other team's QB and running backs were messing with their girlfriends. Damn did those kids perform.

<ok, purple off>

For what it is worth, EZ is neither foolish nor the decendent of a canine or nasty lady. And although Tatanka does do a lot of crap (wait, thats TAB), there has never been a situation at the HB where he has done anything worse than puttting catsup on a fine brat.

As CAS so nicely states: Its time for a group hug.

KSBisonFan
11-05-2012, 01:33 AM
When I read the title of this thread I thought it had to do with our emotional letdown....you know, like the emotional letdown I'm having after watching our offense yesterday.

Kermit
11-05-2012, 01:39 AM
Did you WATCH the game? The back of Colville's jersey has Ojuri's footprints all over it. The two Freshman and the whole O-Line have been tough and effective opening up holes and giving Brock all kinds of time to throw.

Truth. This needed to be said.

gizmo
11-05-2012, 11:32 AM
That's right...football is a non-emotional game...and the players are not affected by emotions...

...and they don't get up for playing the #1 team in the country. We're just imagining it.

The Bison are one of the best teams in the country because, win or lose, they don't get too emotional. Score a touchdown....hand the ball to the ref and go back to work. You accomplish nothing by wasting your energy doing celebration dances every time you make a routine play. Emotions are great but they are not a substitute for preparation and ability. Every coach realizes this. Coaches probably realize they are going to lose to the Bison but the next week they could get beat by a weak team like USD as well. Do you really want to rely on emotion?

I know the football game itself is an emotional event but what we're talking about are the nuts and bolts of pre-game preparation....assignments, reads, responsibilities and skills that give you an edge and allow you to win. It's largely a classroom environment and if the coaches waste time doing a lot of cheerleading they are doing a disservice to the program. It's about repetitiveness because there isn't much time to think on the field...most things are reactions. Yeah, you want to acquire momentum and win the game but that stage is set during the week.

OrygunBison
11-05-2012, 01:53 PM
I tend to have an optimistic view of this team. I know that there have been some problems, really rough stuff that definitely needs correcting, but I also trust that the coaches are on it knowing that it is better to get to this stuff prior to the beginning of the playoffs.

Last year's run in the Valley wasn't exactly squeaky clean and look how that turned out. I'd like to think that we're going to explode once we host the first playoff game.

I'm too lazy to check into it but I would love to see the regular season vs. post season stats from 2011 and a snapshot of how the 2012 regular season compares. I am not sure if that would be more worrisome or comforting...

westnodak93bison
11-05-2012, 02:01 PM
You know we have a passionate fan base when we are ranting and raving after winning two games against two hot teams in the toughest defensive conference in FCS. Apparently winning ugly ain't good enough. It is not realistic to win 35-6 every week.

BisonNation11
11-05-2012, 04:49 PM
You know we have a passionate fan base when we are ranting and raving after winning two games against two hot teams in the toughest defensive conference in FCS. Apparently winning ugly ain't good enough. It is not realistic to win 35-6 every week.

Did the Red River switch it's flow and we are all now drinking the same "no reality" water as El Forko Grande???

semobison
11-05-2012, 05:09 PM
I tend to have an optimistic view of this team. I know that there have been some problems, really rough stuff that definitely needs correcting, but I also trust that the coaches are on it knowing that it is better to get to this stuff prior to the beginning of the playoffs.

Last year's run in the Valley wasn't exactly squeaky clean and look how that turned out. I'd like to think that we're going to explode once we host the first playoff game.

I'm too lazy to check into it but I would love to see the regular season vs. post season stats from 2011 and a snapshot of how the 2012 regular season compares. I am not sure if that would be more worrisome or comforting...

Last year in the Valley we were 6th in Rushing at 147 ypg, 4.1 ypc. Our running game exploded in our 3 playoffs at home. 219 yds, 5.9 ypc against JMU, 221 yds 6.1ypc against Lehigh and 314 yds at 8.5 ypc against GSU. Does that comfort you any? Its tough to run in the Valley. This year through 6 games we are at 3.7 ypc!