PDA

View Full Version : Justin Juckem

HerdBot
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
There was an article on Justin Juckem in the Forum yesterday. It talked about how he has very little cartilage in his knees and this may possibly be his last year. He really came on last year at Nose Tackle. Hope he can get the pain under control even after his football career is done. I have a friend who has something similar and he says it's very painful. This shows the toughness of Juckem.

When we got him I was really pumped up. He had offers from Washington State, Boston College, and Army. He played TE, DE, receiver, ran track, and played center for the BB team in high school. He's gone from 235 as a freshman to 290 last year, and now is down to 280. That's adding 50 pounds of muscle. Unreal. Impressive desire to work hard and now he's showing the desire to play even though extreme pain at a time we need him. Many guys would have hung up the cleats.

Bison"FANatic"
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Geez I should have read the paper yesterday. Missed that story.

BlueBisonRock
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Osteoarthritis is a real bitch! Nothing but the best to him in his future.

goalpost
11-01-2012, 07:28 PM
it sucks , he was really coming on too.

westnodak93bison
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
What causes it? Too much heavy lifting, genetics?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

bri-dog
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Geez I should have read the paper yesterday. Missed that story.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/378967/publisher_ID/1/

devin45k
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
That man is a beast!

G_Funky
11-01-2012, 08:33 PM
always tough to hear of a good kid struggling with injuries...makes it hard to stomach the dumbshits who get booted for being, well, dumbshits...the commitment he made to bettering himself/the Bison defense is a pretty awesome thing. To bulk up 40 pounds and still be a factor is an attribute to Justin...

Kermit
11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
What causes it? Too much heavy lifting, genetics?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Basically wear and tear. There are probably genetic factors, but the biggest issue is joint loading. Trauma is a big risk factor as is being over-weight. If you want a more sophisticated, scientific explanation you will have to wait for PL to get here.

Bison"FANatic"
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
Basically wear and tear. There are probably genetic factors, but the biggest issue is joint loading. Trauma is a big risk factor as is being over-weight. If you want a more sophisticated, scientific explanation you will have to wait for PL to get here.

Like when I was a seminar and had a ex NFL player who was a ortho tell me. It is not if we need a knee replacement after the NFL it is when.

td577
11-01-2012, 09:41 PM
The good news is after his athletic career is over, he can utilize so many different treatments to lessen the pain. Knee replacement, for example, on an athlete is way too risky and unpredictable. Knee replacement for Juckem after football can provide many years of pain elimination in that joint. Pretty much at this point in his life and career, he has to deal with the pain if he wants to keep playing. From my understanding, he really can't do too much more damage to his joints but the pain is intolerable for some. If he is sucking it up, he is a better man then most of us. Also, when he is done playing, taking the weight off will help him a lot. If this kid wants to play football, I don't think anyone should stand in his way but if he were to hang it up, I would not blame him.

IzzyFlexion
11-03-2012, 04:43 PM
He added an awful lot of weight to his frame. This all too often creates adverse skeletal problems.
Feel for the guy. Great lookin' athlete.