PDA

View Full Version : Summit League Basketball Tourney

jacks1
10-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Per Terry Vandrovec:

Just in: Sioux Falls lands 5-year deal to host Summit Hoops tourney in new events center. Goes through '19. 5-year renewal, too.

Clarification: 5-year contract starts this season - it replaces the old 2-year deal. Agreement calls for 5-year option starting in '18.

Honeybooboo
10-31-2012, 01:50 AM
Per Terry Vandrovec:

Just in: Sioux Falls lands 5-year deal to host Summit Hoops tourney in new events center. Goes through '19. 5-year renewal, too.

Clarification: 5-year contract starts this season - it replaces the old 2-year deal. Agreement calls for 5-year option starting in '18.

Seems logical considering ORU no longer will care, I'm sure the eastern teams don't like it much, namely OU and the alphabet soup Indiana schools

HandoEX
10-31-2012, 02:46 AM
Makes sense. Sioux Falls has the body potential to turn a profit. The new venue will make it even better, especially when the Bison break the hearts of SDSU and USD fans year after year. Ha!

ndsubison1
10-31-2012, 08:25 AM
kinda sucks for it to be there in a sense but it's a great location and will continue to make for a great atmosphere especially since usd now in

JSUBison
10-31-2012, 01:11 PM
kinda sucks for it to be there in a sense but it's a great location and will continue to make for a great atmosphere especially since usd now in

Agree, and it's a short drive for the UNO and UKMC fans as well. Wasn't the Summit tourney in the top half of all conferences last season as far as attendance? I don't know anything about this new venue they are building. Is the capacity greater than the place currently used?

jacks1
10-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Agree, and it's a short drive for the UNO and UKMC fans as well. Wasn't the Summit tourney in the top half of all conferences last season as far as attendance? I don't know anything about this new venue they are building. Is the capacity greater than the place currently used?

By far. The current dump of an arena holds roughly 6,000 for basketball. The new events center should hold around 12,000.

http://www.siouxfallseventscenter.org/

roadwarrior
10-31-2012, 01:32 PM
I don't know anything about this new venue they are building. Is the capacity greater than the place currently used?

About 12,000 seats, which is double the size of the arena.

Elephants Dream?
10-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm sure the eastern teams don't like it much, namely OU and the alphabet soup Indiana schools
If the tourney were held in many of the Summit cities, the attendance would
be Tiny. SF is able to get paying customers in the seats, especially when both Jacks
teams are in the tournament.

HerdBot
10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
Awesome deal for the Summit. Sioux Falls has done a great job hosting this and have been very progressive with their facilities. They are giving Fargo a run for their money. This gives SDSU an obvious advantage but it also gives us an opportunity as well, especially with the added capacity. The place can house virtually any sized crowd. Great short trip for USD, NDSU, and Omaha. Great for the conference. SHould be an electric atmosphere. This year I want to see us back on ESPN playing for the big dance! I wish downtown Fargo could do something with the crappy old Civic Center that was worthy of hosting events.

JSUBison
10-31-2012, 04:43 PM
If the tourney were held in many of the Summit cities, the attendance would
be Tiny. SF is able to get paying customers in the seats, especially when both Jacks
teams are in the tournament.

Oakland has a good fanbase and attendance, but alphabet soup Indiana teams are pretty bad. The tourney in SF is good for the league.

wow
10-31-2012, 04:44 PM
Holding the tournament in Sioux Falls strengthens the future of the league, bottom line.

Oakland would bolt for the Horizon in a heartbeat, even if the conference tournament was in their own gym.

North Side
10-31-2012, 07:42 PM
2015 It will be Denny Sanford Center this place looks nice! http://www.keloland.com/newsdetail.cfm/new-look-at-denny-sanford-premier-center/?id=139222

imabison
10-31-2012, 08:28 PM
Per Terry Vandrovec:

Without the remodeled BSA NDSU cannot realistically make a bid to host it.
Not sure that NDSU minds the bus trip down the road anyway.

roadwarrior
10-31-2012, 09:06 PM
Without the remodeled BSA NDSU cannot realistically make a bid to host it.
Not sure that NDSU minds the bus trip down the road anyway.

The tournament cannot be held on a member's home court. Fargo's only chance is at the Fargodome.

imabison
10-31-2012, 09:08 PM
The tournament cannot be held on a member's home court. Fargo's only chance is at the Fargodome.

Yup, I now recall that being stated over and over again :)

THEsocalledfan
10-31-2012, 09:15 PM

What? I can't see how anyone can not like this. Ming, obviously you have forgotten I live in Sioux Falls! While not as awesome as the USD game here, it is still pretty awesome and we just don't get many good sports here! Further, since the world does not revolve around me as it should, there are other benefits:

1. Easy to get to from Fargo since Fargo does not have a suitable venue.
2. Good attendance guaranteed from SDSU and USD fans. Good profit for the league.
3. A full house most of the time when the ticket punching game is on national TV. You get NDSU, SDSU, or USD in that game and the rafters are packed. (That damn blizzard......)

Now, apologize, and remember the world does revolve around me!

ndsubison1
11-01-2012, 01:32 AM
Do I need to explain everything? It sucks cuz its in Sioux falls and is a virtual home game for sdsu. It sucks in that sense. but its a great location and will make for a good atmosphere as I already mentioned

SUPERBUNNY
11-02-2012, 05:24 PM
This is really a great thing for the conference. No question it is also good for SDSU and USD. I think it is also good for the Bison. Hats off to you folks, saying that you travel. well is an understatement. The new Sanford Center with 12,000 seats will eliminate seating capacity issues in the future.

That announcement certainly has to chap the ass of a few teams in the conference, namely Oakland, but it makes complete sense on every level for the conference. IMHO it is just a matter of time before Oakland bails anyway.

It really has been a cool deal to be able to have this tournament in the area. It makes for a fantastic weekend full of basketball and good times. I'd encourage anyone to make it.

SUPERBUNNY

THEsocalledfan
11-02-2012, 06:17 PM
This is really a great thing for the conference. No question it is also good for SDSU and USD. I think it is also good for the Bison. Hats off to you folks, saying that you travel. well is an understatement. The new Sanford Center with 12,000 seats will eliminate seating capacity issues in the future.

That announcement certainly has to chap the ass of a few teams in the conference, namely Oakland, but it makes complete sense on every level for the conference. IMHO it is just a matter of time before Oakland bails anyway.

It really has been a cool deal to be able to have this tournament in the area. It makes for a fantastic weekend full of basketball and good times. I'd encourage anyone to make it.

SUPERBUNNY

Check positive rep. We enjoy your tax dollars in Sioux Falls.

SUPERBUNNY
11-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Appreciate that. It's a big deal for Sioux Falls. I'm in Brookings and yet I still have a hotel for three nights and buy all of the food, entertainment, and booze that goes with it for me and my family. Oh, my the booze bill! Basically, it's my vacation.

SUPERBUNNY

rabidrabbit
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM
On the WBB side, last year's attendence was #6, actually ahead of the PAC-12, and behind the other 5 BCS conference. Get either a SDSU/USD or SDSU/NDSU final, should manage to beat those attendence records.

USD finally eligible, and then add in UNO in a couple of years, Summit tourney in SF should really blossom.

wow
11-05-2012, 04:24 PM
On the WBB side, last year's attendence was #6, actually ahead of the PAC-12, and behind the other 5 BCS conference. Get either a SDSU/USD or SDSU/NDSU final, should manage to beat those attendence records.

USD finally eligible, and then add in UNO in a couple of years, Summit tourney in SF should really blossom.

Attendance records will be EXTREMELY hard to beat in the existing arena. Unless the league figures out a way to take in and resell tickets from teams that get eliminated early.

In other words, imagine NDSU's men were in the final last year and wanted to bring 5,000 fans from Fargo. How are they going to get the all session passes back from SDSU fans and redistribute them to Bison fans that want to attend?

In the new arena, it could be pretty crazy what the Summit could accomplish in Sioux Falls.