PDA

View Full Version : If you were a recruit.....and had to make the decision....

Mr. Burgundy
10-29-2012, 10:39 PM
What Regional FCS school would you chose? In this sample case study, lets say you had the same full ride offer from NDSU, UND, SDSU and USD.

Lets start with USD: Really bad home dome, but apparently they are renovating or have a master plan. They have a solid coach who has won before, but will he be here all 5 of your years? He isn't young, but a very solid coach. Young staff, not much experience. Location, (trying to be polite here) isn't helping them. Location is key considering alof of recruits in this area are coming from Minnesota and Wisconsin...or even larger metro areas. I can't imagine their location doing anything but hurting them, but occasionally you get a kid who likes the small town, probably should be recruiting farther south than we are.

UND: A program in absolute shambles. Just a take a look at their message board. They are on pace to be the 1st or 2nd worst defense in school history, they can't stop anyone and it appears that the coach and entire defensive staff is going to be fired. Mussman could stay (we hope) due to Faison signing him to an extension (that I think they could easily buy out and was strictly done to help with their sad recruiting). Their marketing guy is on their message board responding to fans about their pathetic home field, and asking them to not be a "hockey school." Their recruits should know that as they are treated to a hockey game on their recruiting visit and can clearly tell where the school has its focus. With all of that turmoil, I am not sure I would have any interest in going to Grand Forks. Which leads me to that topic, when they went to the Big Sky, we heard how they would change their recruiting footprint. Well, they did. They went East. They focused on Illinois. Anyone want to help me with that one? Their closest big sky opponent is farther than our closest (I am not exact on that, but it is close). If you want to play in a half full barn with no students in a hockey town, not a bad choice. The positive, you can play there. They should start 11 true freshman on defense with the motto, it can't get worse. Might as well start them young. Their staff has no experience at the D1 level, and won't be there long anyway. Probably a tough spot to send your son.

SDSU: If you ask Terry Vandrovec, nobody does more with less. "In Stig we trust." As 6,000 Bison fans traveled to Sioux Falls, you may have seen the one exit SD town of Brookings. They play at Brookings High field. Keep the grass long to slow down the pace of play. Always a physical team that accepts being fairly average. Every once in a while they get a class together that is just nasty physical and can play with anyone. In my opinion it will be hard to sustain in Brookings, their location and lack of facilities is just hard to keep up with other schools. Solid coaching staff, improving facilities with a plan in place, but no large booster organization/corporate money in place to fill the place year in year out (unless they play against NDSU who brings their half of the fans). Head and shoulders the best team not named NDSU on this thread. Their fanbase is pretty small, they don't travel well, but they do compete and they get up to play NDSU. If this school was located in Sioux Falls, we would have an amazing rivalry and it would really help them out in recruiting. SDSU does a great job of focusing on who they are, tough midwest kids who aren't scared of a small town.

NDSU: You knew where this was going. Best head coach in FCS football at this time. His resume speaks for itself. When they need to reload their staff, they get bigtime coaches. Taking the UNI DC to be our D backs coach was an example of that. Many coaches have went through NDSU to the highest of levels, Tennessee, USC, and now the NFL. Coaches want to be at NDSU. Because they get paid, there is tradition and they win. Fargo is by far the best location of these 4 options. Located on the interstates with a "major" airport is critical in these recruiting battles. While I am not saying Fargo is Minneapolis, it sure isn't Brookings, GF or Verm. With a tradition of winning and a Teammakers group that is financially supporting the school/team/staff salaries, it is clear that the school has positioned itself to be a leader in FCS football, even though there are fans who do talk about moving up. The Fargodome, I don't realize how good it is until you see what other schools have. It is a legit facility at this level. How many of these schools have sold out their building prior to the season starting? Have we talked about tailgating? Well, at NDSU, we do it. You play football at NDSU, you are a star, not a hockey star, but a star of the campus.

NDSU has a small recruiting class coming in this year, so some kids will be offered alot more money at other schools potentially, but if a kid wants to be a part of a tradition, NDSU appears to be the easy choice. Hopefully some fans of other schools will chime in with their opinions, I look forward to their comments. Especially if someone disagrees. 12,000 fans went to Frisco. A billions fans were in the Metrodome, NDSU took over Sioux Falls when USD moved the game, I think the fanbase helps recruiting a ton. They see how important football is.

SamsRams
10-29-2012, 10:49 PM
Many coaches have went through NDSU to the highest of levels, Tennessee, USC, and now the NFL.

Now the NFL?? wasnt bradley in the NFL before a coach went from NDSU to Tenn or USC? Or was there some new coach the went to the NFL?

reformedUNDfan
10-29-2012, 10:50 PM
noone on the coaching staff at UND will be terminated this year. If I'm wrong, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

NDSU > SDSU > USD > UND

if UND were to get a coaching staff, NDSU > SDSU=UND > SDSU. Grand Forks would be higher if not for the locals.

Mr. Burgundy
10-29-2012, 10:53 PM
If the Defensive staff isn't fired at UND it will be a miracle and show they are not committed to winning.

One thing that is often overlooked is the quality of our assistant coaches. They have great resumes. They coach with passion, they win. SamRams.....I was talking about Scottie at USC and Gus/Wash in the NFL, my wording wasn't perfect so it was misleading, hopefully you still understood the basics that guys want to come to NDSU, you win and get bigtime opportunities. You are recognized.

CAS4127
10-29-2012, 11:00 PM
noone on the coaching staff at UND will be terminated this year. If I'm wrong, I'll be very pleasantly surprised.

NDSU > SDSU > USD > UND

if UND were to get a coaching staff, NDSU > SDSU=UND > SDSU. Grand Forks would be higher if not for the locals.

Y be pleasantly surprised. I will be disappointed if they replace anyone. That said, I think Lennon saw the writing on the wall and bailed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reformedUNDfan
10-29-2012, 11:06 PM
If the Defensive staff isn't fired at UND it will be a miracle and show they are not committed to winning.

the insiders over there seem to be of the opinion that the staff needs another year because last year was their first class as an eligible team. Foolish, but oh well. They had a pretty solid QB sitting on the bench for the last 3 years in hendrickson, who they never did anything with. I think their talent evaluation is pretty weak.

Next year they replace, iirc, most of their o-line, and a pair of very capable qb's with a redshirt freshman, with no apparent depth behind him, and have nothing coming up to replace sutton. Even geaux_sioux doesn't seem very enthused with the defensive talent they have coming up. They could be a very, very bad team.

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:17 PM
Lets say UND hires a new defensive staff that is legit and completes the indoor practice facility. That would mean UND would have the advantage in recruiting as far as facilities are concerned. Skill guys want to come to UND more because they'll get the ball and put up huge numbers. Defensive players will be sold on the tradition and get to right the defensive ship and be legendary. And if it comes down to NDSU vs UND they can just look at the record, especially the recent head to head. But of course this thread was started by teh Burgandies and obviously NDSU piss pounds anyone in recruiting and anything else involving football. You guys are at your pinnacle, UND is rising fast to reassume their rightful spot at the top of North Dakota.

roper1313
10-29-2012, 11:21 PM
Lets say UND hires a new defensive staff that is legit and completes the indoor practice facility. That would mean UND would have the advantage in recruiting as far as facilities are concerned. Skill guys want to come to UND more because they'll get the ball and put up huge numbers. Defensive players will be sold on the tradition and get to right the defensive ship and be legendary. And if it comes down to NDSU vs UND they can just look at the record, especially the recent head to head. But of course this thread was started by teh Burgandies and obviously NDSU piss pounds anyone in recruiting and anything else involving football. You guys are at your pinnacle, UND is rising fast to reassume their rightful spot at the top of North Dakota.

You must have forgot the purple font!?!? Tough not to rise when your program is hitting rock bottom.

CAS4127
10-29-2012, 11:22 PM

55/695-->yep, the numbers r rising fast along with the lack of reality.

And u have 1 NC after D2 started being watered down. Ya, u r THE most significant FB team in Nodak ... for points and yards allowed that is.

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:23 PM
the insiders over there seem to be of the opinion that the staff needs another year because last year was their first class as an eligible team. Foolish, but oh well. They had a pretty solid QB sitting on the bench for the last 3 years in hendrickson, who they never did anything with. I think their talent evaluation is pretty weak.

Next year they replace, iirc, most of their o-line, and a pair of very capable qb's with a redshirt freshman, with no apparent depth behind him, and have nothing coming up to replace sutton. Even geaux_sioux doesn't seem very enthused with the defensive talent they have coming up. They could be a very, very bad team.
Dude was on the bench because he was too immature to lead a team at QB, they moved him to WR to get his talent on the field and things clicked for him this year and he showed what he could've done had he been more mature. They knew he was talented, he just didn't get it til this year.

Also, Mollberg will be really good. PJ Sparks could be a diamond in the rough that explodes onto the scene next year. The true freshman class has some stud defenders. You don't really know jack about UND football.

reformedUNDfan
10-29-2012, 11:23 PM

I'm sure recruits are going to magically line up to play at a cellar dweller because they beat NDSU a couple times over a decade ago. Also, we all know that UND can't offer the kind of money, tradition, or connections to attract anyone decent.

IzzyFlexion
10-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Well then it's been a long ass pinnacle.
Are we graduating a bunch of Juniors this year?
The football culture in Fargo and at NDSU is now and will always be superior to Grand Forks/UND. The sooner you embrace that concept the less ridiculous you'll become.

reformedUNDfan
10-29-2012, 11:24 PM
Dude was on the bench because he was too immature to lead a team at QB, they moved him to WR to get his talent on the field and things clicked for him this year and he showed what he could've done had he been more mature. They knew he was talented, he just didn't get it til this year.

Also, Mollberg will be really good. PJ Sparks could be a diamond in the rough that explodes onto the scene next year. The true freshman class has some stud defenders. You don't really know jack about UND football.

You've proven time and time again that you know even less.

Bisonguy
10-29-2012, 11:27 PM

Therein lies one of the biggest differences between the two programs: UN_'s goal is to be the best team in North Dakota, NDSU's goal is to be the best team in the nation.

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:28 PM
You've proven time and time again that you know even less. Boom Roasted!!!

That's better

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Therein lies one of the biggest differences between the two programs: UN_'s goal is to be the best team in North Dakota, NDSU's goal is to be the best team in the nation.

Honestly to be the best in North Dakota you pretty much need to be the best in the nation with the way things are

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:31 PM
Well then it's been a long ass pinnacle.
Are we graduating a bunch of Juniors this year?
The football culture in Fargo and at NDSU is now and will always be superior to Grand Forks/UND. The sooner you embrace that concept the less ridiculous you'll become.

Yes a long ass 2.5 years.

CAS4127
10-29-2012, 11:33 PM
Honestly to be the best in North Dakota you pretty much need to be the best in the nation with the way things are

There u go! Now u r thinking straight. If you r the best in Nodak u have to be better than NDSU, which is best in nation. Very good--> u r learning!!

Professor Chaos
10-29-2012, 11:34 PM

Well if this is what you call knowledge I'd say you're about as good of a judge of it as Paula Abdul: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27563-The-Playoff-Matchup&p=622818#post622818

DL
DT is stacked, enough said. Jirik will be very good. Other DE?

Brenneman is huge and a stud. Benjamin squats the house and plugs the run game up. Nelson finished very strong last year. Welch looks legit. Cummings is massive but needs to play nasty and faster.
EDGE:UND (3 seniors)

LBs
Beck came on strong and will have a great year. Jemison if 100% will be a huge difference maker and a force, elite speed. Littlejohn is very athletic and with a few more pounds could be great. Olson is a man he will be a star this year.

Holes in the middle to fill with Peters, Ratelle, and Goodman. Peters is built like a fire hydrant, huge hits with surprising quickness. Ratelle doesn't look like a fr and brings the wood, very good coverage skills. Goodman is experienced but needs to play faster. Dom Bennett moves like a safety and hits like a LB if he stays healthy he will be a star. Finely is very athletic and bigger but needs experience. Andrews needs girth but has outstanding coverage skills. Jablonski needs to get bigger but rushes the passer very well and can stuff the run.
EDGE: If Jemison is himself NDSU, if not UND

So with the edge that UND has on NDSU in the front 7 does that mean that NDSU would give up 500+ rushing yards to Montana St?

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:34 PM
There u go! Now u r thinking straight. If you r the best in Nodak u have to be better than NDSU, which is best in nation. Very good--> u r learning!!

It's not a hard concept, that's how it was in D2 and that's how it will be.

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:36 PM
Well if this is what you call knowledge I'd say you're about as good of a judge of it as Paula Abdul: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27563-The-Playoff-Matchup&p=622818#post622818
So you're saying I more accurately accounted for your players than UNDs?

Professor Chaos
10-29-2012, 11:38 PM
No, I'm saying with the edge that UND has in the front 7 that must mean that NDSU would've given up more than 436 yards rushing to Montana St using your "knowledge".

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:39 PM
No, I'm saying with the edge that UND has in the front 7 that must mean that NDSU would've given up more than 436 yards rushing to Montana St using your "knowledge".
Well I'm saying I knew your team better than UND in that comparison. Some of my stuff for you guys was spot on.

Professor Chaos
10-29-2012, 11:40 PM
Well I'm saying I knew your team better than UND in that comparison. Some of my stuff for you guys was spot on.
What's the saying about a broken clock?

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:43 PM

It flashes 12:00 until it's fixed?

IzzyFlexion
Yes a long ass 2.5 years.

OK. I get it. You're having fun trolling and getting Bison fans all riled up. Now everyone is responding with material that you can't provide a reasonable arguement for. This has to be about what?........30 or 40 times you've done this?
You're not smart. You're not clever. You're not basing any of your content on anything that can be construed as valid, amusing, accurate, and by no means interesting.
At some point even you must realize how much of a fool you're making out of yourself.

BlueBisonRock

Analog or digital?

Yes, I know. Butt I just could not resist

CAS4127
10-29-2012, 11:44 PM
Who does UN? Give up points and yards to this weekend?!

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:50 PM
Anyway UND has loads of talent on offense and needs some new blood on defense.

thebigund
10-29-2012, 11:51 PM
Who does UN? Give up points and yards to this weekend?!

SUU fresh off of beating #1 EWU at home.

For your playoff consideration, MSU is better than EWU and not nearly as soft as people thought.

EndZoneQB
10-29-2012, 11:53 PM

For your playoff consideration, MSU is better than EWU and not nearly as soft as people thought.

Wtf are you talking about?? Now you've officially lost your mind. EWU won head to head. On the damn road. Game. Set. Match.

reformedUNDfan
10-29-2012, 11:54 PM

you said nothing about NDSU that wasn't already clear to everyone on the site. Thusfar you have been wrong almost across the board about your own team.

Pease keep getting the fools hopes up over at siouxsports I find it comical to watch the ludicrous hopes and dreams come crashing down. If UND has to be awful, I might as well be able to laugh at the misery of idiots.

KSBisonFan
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM
I'd like to hear what bisonsuckalot thinks of this discusssion....he seems to know a lot about football and how to castrate a cow.

Also, there was a couple seconds today when I was reading bisonsuckalot's posts and I thought to myself, "What a dip$hit. I miss a good troll like thebigund." What a stupid thought that was.

But, seriously NDSU kicks a$$ on the other schools. Good post Burgandy!

In summary, Fire Vigen, Fire the band, fire RTO, fire bisonsuckalot and thebigund....Save the season!!!

MNLonghorn10
10-29-2012, 11:55 PM

theyll lose to crappy montana then get piss pounded in fargo. shades of 2010.

CAS4127
10-29-2012, 11:56 PM

Home or away?! Maybe UN? can regroup and beat the Mormons? That would be a good win.

aces1180
10-29-2012, 11:57 PM
This is an awesome troll bait (and 100% accurate) post...Kudos, Mr. Burgandy!

Steven Threet
10-29-2012, 11:59 PM
What Regional FCS school would you chose? In this sample case study, lets say you had the same full ride offer from NDSU, UND, SDSU and USD

That was inspirational. Almost as good as the intro video at the FargoDome. I wish I had some eligibility left to try FCS. Go Bison!

tjbison
10-30-2012, 12:01 AM
For me I would give UND a fair shot over the Sodak teams just because they are my home state team, but it ultimately would come down to depth charts and what I could do on the field. If I was forced to make a choice just based on history then of course it would be NDSU, but there are many factors in recruiting.

Kermit
10-30-2012, 12:05 AM
Burgundy missed his true calling. He should be the chief recruiter for both Bohl and Saul. Nicely done.

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Wtf are you talking about?? Now you've officially lost your mind. EWU won head to head. On the damn road. Game. Set. Match.
If you knew anything about the game you'd realize that MSU had 4 TOs and barely lost. MSU had the ball for 36 min. Outgained them 365 to 211. MSU was 11-19 on 3rd vs 4-12 for EWU. If they play 15 times MSU wins at least 10. You may not know this, but sometimes the best team doesn't win.

hattonbison
10-30-2012, 12:07 AM
Big undie, I know alot about und football! They SUCK!!! Still!!!!!!!!!!!

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:08 AM
you said nothing about NDSU that wasn't already clear to everyone on the site. Thusfar you have been wrong almost across the board about your own team.

Pease keep getting the fools hopes up over at siouxsports I find it comical to watch the ludicrous hopes and dreams come crashing down. If UND has to be awful, I might as well be able to laugh at the misery of idiots.

I was only wrong about the defense. Didn't think they would grow vaginas over the summer.

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
Home or away?! Maybe UN? can regroup and beat the Mormons? That would be a good win.

Home, UND has never beaten SUU at home. They don't their old All American WRs anymore so we've got a good shot.

runtheoption
10-30-2012, 12:10 AM
For those that went through the recruiting process (any sport at all levels NCAA & NAIA), how much did academics and degrees offered played a part in your decision?

tjbison
10-30-2012, 12:13 AM
For those that went through the recruiting process (any sport at all levels NCAA & NAIA), how much did academics and degrees offered played a part in your decision?

Those can be a major player, along with graduation rates etc....lets face it at the fcs level you still need to be elite to play on sundays

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:13 AM
NDSU had the degree I wanted and ended up getting but I chose UND instead because I don't have a Bison bone in my body. If I was from a place free of NDSU and UND and both offered I probably would've gone with NDSU based on the degree.

NDSU1980
10-30-2012, 12:17 AM

Also, Mollberg will be really good. PJ Sparks could be a diamond in the rough that explodes onto the scene next year. The true freshman class has some stud defenders. You don't really know jack about UND football.Hey geaux-sioux, if you are putting all your hopes and dreams next year into an unproven, inexperienced red shirt freshman QB, you are in for a big surprise.

First off, I don't believe Mohlberg will ever be as good as you guys think he is, and he sure as hell won't be Wonder Dog when he first starts playing. Remember, you guys thought Brayden Hansen was going to solve all of your problems and get you into the playoffs. Remember that?

You guys will never come close to being as good as us. Get used to it.

MNLonghorn10
10-30-2012, 12:18 AM
If you knew anything about the game you'd realize that MSU had 4 TOs and barely lost. MSU had the ball for 36 min. Outgained them 365 to 211. MSU was 11-19 on 3rd vs 4-12 for EWU. If they play 15 times MSU wins at least 10. You may not know this, but sometimes the best team doesn't win.
you may not know this, but montana state isnt as good as you think they are.

NDSU1980
10-30-2012, 12:21 AM
If you knew anything about the game you'd realize that MSU had 4 TOs and barely lost. MSU had the ball for 36 min. Outgained them 365 to 211. MSU was 11-19 on 3rd vs 4-12 for EWU. If they play 15 times MSU wins at least 10. You may not know this, but sometimes the best team doesn't win.Hey geaux-sioux, if you knew anything about football, you'd know that you can't win when you give up 50 points every game.

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:21 AM
Hey geaux-sioux, if you are putting all your hopes and dreams next year into an unproven, inexperienced red shirt freshman QB, you are in for a big surprise.

First off, I don't believe Mohlberg will ever be as good as you guys think he is, and he sure as hell won't be Wonder Dog when he first starts playing. Remember, you guys thought Brayden Hansen was going to solve all of your problems and get you into the playoffs. Remember that?

You guys will never come close to being as good as us. Get used to it.
The guy that threw for 660 yards? He fractured his fibula first game, that changed the season.

I've seen Mollberg throw, he's got what it takes.

KSBisonFan
10-30-2012, 12:25 AM
Which leads me to that topic, when they went to the Big Sky, we heard how they would change their recruiting footprint. Well, they did. They went East. They focused on Illinois. Anyone want to help me with that one?

Either they have really good hockey players in Illinois or Mussman has a boyfriend there??? Did that help?

tjbison
The guy that threw for 660 yards? He fractured his fibula first game, that changed the season.

Many of us seen Mertens throw, thought he had what it took and were proved totally wrong

SamsRams
Great another thread about UND!!

CAS4127
10-30-2012, 12:26 AM

Like your D did pre-season?! Molberg pusses out and went to UND because hr knew the competition was too tough. Good for him--life gets no easier tho!!

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:28 AM
Many of us seen Mertens throw, thought he had what it took and were proved totally wrong I was right about Hanson and I'll be right about Mollberg.

NorthernBison
10-30-2012, 12:30 AM
Burgundy's question is a no-brainer to anybody regardless of their rooting interest. NDSU is the obvious choice.

I wouldn't want my son to pick UND under any circumstances but I'm honest enough to admit that is because of my dislike for that place in general.

The facilities at UND are vastly superior to the SD schools and the IPF will help them distance themselves from the SD schools. Add in NOT having to compete against NDSU for a conference title. Honestly all that makes UND the #2 choice.

SDSU and USD are 3 and 4. Edge to the Jacks.

Bison"FANatic"
10-30-2012, 12:31 AM

There are 100's of QB's that can throw a good ball out there. Doesn't mean the game is going to slow down for them and they are going to be able to be the general when called upon to lead and are going to make the right decisions when put into the situations. Ride that ship Ride it Ride it Ride it right down to the bottom of the ocean along with a redshirt freshman QB and a defense made of all freshman because as you said yourself your D now has vaginas.

All I ask is please extend Mussman again at the end of this season.

silkamilkamonico
10-30-2012, 12:31 AM
I was right about Hanson and I'll be right about Mollberg.

UND's #1 goal was to beat NDSU. Always has been always will be.
NDSU's #1 goal is to win Championships. Always has been always will be.

Tatanka
10-30-2012, 12:34 AM
You may not know this, but sometimes the best team doesn't win.You know what, you're right. UN_ did beat teh Montana

tjbison
10-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Burgundy's question is a no-brainer to anybody regardless of their rooting interest. NDSU is the obvious choice.

I wouldn't want my son to pick UND under any circumstances but I'm honest enough to admit that is because of my dislike for that place in general.

The facilities at UND are vastly superior to the SD schools and the IPF will be a help them distance themselves from the SD schools. Add in NOT having to compete against NDSU for a conference title. Honestly all that makes UND the #2 choice.

I was recruited while all were ncc members, if it were to happen today I would go with NDSU and SDSU. UND would get a good look just because the nd ties like I stated earlier, but ultimately for me getting to play the sd schools and UNI for the proximity would for sure lean me towards NDSU as long as playing chances were the same

NDSU1980
10-30-2012, 12:38 AM

I've seen Mollberg throw, he's got what it takes.I said when Hansen went down, that would be your excuse for the whole season tanking. Thank you for not disappointing me. Did Hansen's injury affect the defense too? It must have, because they sure went down hill.

thebigund
10-30-2012, 12:41 AM
I said when Hansen went down, that would be your excuse for the whole season tanking. Thank you for not disappointing me. Did Hansen's injury affect the defense too? It must have, because they sure went down hill.

The defense sucks just fine on their own thank you.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2012, 12:43 AM
If you want to play championship-caliber football on a consistent basis...North Dakota State is a no-brainer.

If you want to play for a program that wishes it was North Dakota State...then pick any one of the others...

...and hope that you get 'into' the playoffs one or two times.

IzzyFlexion
10-30-2012, 12:45 AM
Hey geaux-sioux, if you knew anything about football, you'd know that you can't win when you give up 50 points every game.

buttreceivers!!

EndZoneQB
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM

You definitely don't know this(from experience), but good teams tip the field in their favor.

tjbison
10-30-2012, 12:46 AM
Does this need tobe a NDSU vs UND thing? Both actually do have qualities kids look for, it's not all about location and history. Coaches and the relationship with them is huge....NDSU, SDSU, UND and usd will all get some over each other, but in this region right now I really have to say NDSU, SDSU and usd have the edge due to proximity. If UND can get recruits regularly from Colorado, Cali and AZ they will be fine, but recruiting WI, IL and IA to play 900 miles from home for the closest away game will not work IMO

We will see

EndZoneQB
10-30-2012, 12:53 AM
Does this need tobe a NDSU vs UND thing? Both actually do have qualities kids look for, it's not all about location and history. Coaches and the relationship with them is huge....NDSU, SDSU, UND and usd will all get some over each other, but in this region right now I really have to say NDSU, SDSU and usd have the edge due to proximity. If UND can get recruits regularly from Colorado, Cali and AZ they will be fine, but recruiting WI, IL and IA to play 900 miles from home for the closest away game will not work IMO

We will see

The problem is, they have to compete against Montana and Montana State...and even EWU for those western recruits. Their best bet would be to get coaches that have connections in their hotbed areas...but it's still going to be an upward climb.

Here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/WashingtonGrizzlyNAU.jpg/800px-WashingtonGrizzlyNAU.jpg

Here:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZPPYof2aW5pNVmmGozd5fNglRoWxUR foVJPfHIyFK2aElfLS8xJt12_FI6A

Or here:
http://youvisit.univision.com/media/undadmin/1281828330187_sports008.jpg

NDSUstudent
10-30-2012, 12:58 AM

The facilities at UND are vastly superior to the SD schools and the IPF will help them distance themselves from the SD schools. Add in NOT having to compete against NDSU for a conference title. Honestly all that makes UND the #2 choice.

Well if you are picking based on coaching UND is a clear 4th but if you want to include facilities and academics they move to a tie in second. Stig is just so much better than Muss.

CAS4127
10-30-2012, 01:01 AM
The problem is, they have to compete against Montana and Montana State...and even EWU for those western recruits. Their best bet would be to get coaches that have connections in their hotbed areas...but it's still going to be an upward climb.

Here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/7/7a/WashingtonGrizzlyNAU.jpg/800px-WashingtonGrizzlyNAU.jpg

Here:
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQZPPYof2aW5pNVmmGozd5fNglRoWxUR foVJPfHIyFK2aElfLS8xJt12_FI6A

Or here:

When you think about it, maybe not being invited to the Fluffy was a good thing for us when considering your well-stated recruiting point. Nodak is isolated from the Fluffy schools. USD must have realized that fact .

thebigund
10-30-2012, 01:47 AM

Here:

Here:

Or here:

Well since the Alerus gets louder than any place I'll go with that.

NDSUstudent
10-30-2012, 02:03 AM
Well since the Alerus gets louder than any place I'll go with that.

Please...Please.....go post that on egriz.com

thebigund
10-30-2012, 02:06 AM
Please...Please.....go post that on egriz.com
They're so fragile over there right now that someone would blow their head off at the thought.

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 02:06 AM
NDSU no contest. It's like comparing the University of Minnesota to Minnesota State Mankato or Illinois to Northern Illinois.

Best facilities. As good or better than many FCS programs. We have insane coaching offices, a phenomenal home stadium, 3 different places to practice (including the ultimate indoor facility- the dome), 4 giant video boards, the best doctors, training program, locker room, and it's getting better with the SHAC upgrades and the new outdoor turf (that will have a bubble over it)

Best fanbase. If your going to play FCS, might as well play in front of huge electric crowds every week. Playing games at UND, USD, and SDSU are similar to a high school game. We have more season ticket holders than the other guys average for attendance.No matter where we play, the Bison Nation packs the place. It's contagious. Just walk through the tailgating lot on Saturday and you will know what we are talking about. We do everything big. The other schools can't compete with this http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?28545-Official-Tailgating-Rig-Thread-%28profiles-pics-links%29

Exposure- Every game is televised. Every home game is simulcast on national tv with ESPN3 and/or Fox College Sports. Heck even our spring game is televised on statewide tv. The radio network is massive. Our radio guy is better than most FBS teams. We've been on ESPN multiple times, been features on Scott Van Pelt, and have made the ESPN Top 10 plays of the week... that's just this year. And since we're a big draw, other teams charge more at the gate when we make travel to their stadiums. Exposure leads to NFL players.

Tradition. Not even close. Since 1960, we are one of the most successful programs in college football history with 9 national championships. The other 3 schools have 1 combined. We have more 2nd place finishes than all the teams combined. Since 1960, we have spent 32 years in the national polls and 25 years in post season action. Expect to make a legitimate run for a championship here. That's what the best do. The other teams? They occasionally have some good years but we all know they will eventually suck. They measure success in beating the Bison. We measure success in Championships. 2 of our best teams ('06 and '07) weren't even playoff eligible

COACHING. Our coaches are the best. We keep them too because we actually pay them well. Bohl has won 2 BCS Championship at Nebraska and an FCS National Championship. He's a great coach with great assistants. Ex coaches include Gus Bradley (DC Seattle), Pat Perles (Chiefs), and Todd Wash. Even our fired coaches (Babich) went on to become coordinators in the NFL. You see Bison coaches all over the NFL and at BFS schools like USC. There is a reason 20 players have signed NFL contracts since 2007 and we have 2 NFL starters. The coaches are really really good.

CITIES - We're not New York but we do have nearly a quarter million people in the metro. We're a short drive from beautiful lakes country. Brookings and Vermillion are hick towns. Grand Forks is psyched because they just got an Olive Garden. We have an underrated concert scene, a kick ass downtown, mega shopping, restaurants, and we're a huge college party town. All 4 schools are cold.

The only reason to choose one of those other guys is because you don't think your good enough to play here and if your afraid of a depth chart.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-30-2012, 02:11 AM
8 pages on this topic?

Really? Its a no brainer and its not even close.

NDSU1980
10-30-2012, 02:14 AM

I've seen Mollberg throw, he's got what it takes.Yea, and Mollberg threw against YOUR defense. Anyone will look good playing against them. Last I heard, UN?'s defense was ranked almost last in the nation, worse than a lot of D2 and D3 schools.

SDSUAlum08
10-30-2012, 02:21 AM
This might have been interesting until it took 1 post to start the NDSU vs UND crap.

MN_BISON
10-30-2012, 02:27 AM
bigund, were you a kicker? If so, I guess that could explain a lot about your turrible takes and lack of football knowledge. Let me take that back, the previous statement isn't fair to kickers. I get why you come to Bisonville, talk some real football in a form that is connected to a real football program and not some afterthought that takes a back seat to teh puck. But dude some of the stuff you toss out there is well......not good to be kind. Let me help you out a bit, NDSU is better than UND in every way, there's no dancing around it, that's just the way it is now and from what it looks like for some time to come. Now that doesn't mean you jump ship on the Whioux but coming to grips with that fact will probably help you live a better life. The next time you want to compare UND to NDSU, step away from your keyboard and think it through before putting it out there for all so see. Maybe instead of NDSU, you should try comparing UND to Northen Colorado, SD Mines or Savaannah State because outside of both schools being located in ND there's really nothing to compare. Good luck in your games against BU this weekend, I mean that's what most UND fans have on their mind anyway. 7,500 at the JV game this weekend?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-30-2012, 02:37 AM
This might have been interesting until it took 1 post to start the NDSU vs UND crap.

Gets old doesn't it. Its unbelievable how often I run across this crap on other teams boards. And I know I'm going to sound biased, but usually it's started by the Who fans. You should have seen the CSU board before our game. A few suezie fans so up ripping us to shreads, until after the game, then they disappeared. Go figure. Bunch of fricken cry babies with big time penis envy. Its bad enough the Bison/Sioux crap is on this board and SS.com, but when it shows up on other teams boards, its gone to far.

56BISON73
10-30-2012, 02:40 AM
What Regional FCS school would you chose? In this sample case study, lets say you had the same full ride offer from NDSU, UND, SDSU and USD.

Lets start with USD: Really bad home dome, but apparently they are renovating or have a master plan. They have a solid coach who has won before, but will he be here all 5 of your years? He isn't young, but a very solid coach. Young staff, not much experience. Location, (trying to be polite here) isn't helping them. Location is key considering alof of recruits in this area are coming from Minnesota and Wisconsin...or even larger metro areas. I can't imagine their location doing anything but hurting them, but occasionally you get a kid who likes the small town, probably should be recruiting farther south than we are.

UND: A program in absolute shambles. Just a take a look at their message board. They are on pace to be the 1st or 2nd worst defense in school history, they can't stop anyone and it appears that the coach and entire defensive staff is going to be fired. Mussman could stay (we hope) due to Faison signing him to an extension (that I think they could easily buy out and was strictly done to help with their sad recruiting). Their marketing guy is on their message board responding to fans about their pathetic home field, and asking them to not be a "hockey school." Their recruits should know that as they are treated to a hockey game on their recruiting visit and can clearly tell where the school has its focus. With all of that turmoil, I am not sure I would have any interest in going to Grand Forks. Which leads me to that topic, when they went to the Big Sky, we heard how they would change their recruiting footprint. Well, they did. They went East. They focused on Illinois. Anyone want to help me with that one? Their closest big sky opponent is farther than our closest (I am not exact on that, but it is close). If you want to play in a half full barn with no students in a hockey town, not a bad choice. The positive, you can play there. They should start 11 true freshman on defense with the motto, it can't get worse. Might as well start them young. Their staff has no experience at the D1 level, and won't be there long anyway. Probably a tough spot to send your son.

SDSU: If you ask Terry Vandrovec, nobody does more with less. "In Stig we trust." As 6,000 Bison fans traveled to Sioux Falls, you may have seen the one exit SD town of Brookings. They play at Brookings High field. Keep the grass long to slow down the pace of play. Always a physical team that accepts being fairly average. Every once in a while they get a class together that is just nasty physical and can play with anyone. In my opinion it will be hard to sustain in Brookings, their location and lack of facilities is just hard to keep up with other schools. Solid coaching staff, improving facilities with a plan in place, but no large booster organization/corporate money in place to fill the place year in year out (unless they play against NDSU who brings their half of the fans). Head and shoulders the best team not named NDSU on this thread. Their fanbase is pretty small, they don't travel well, but they do compete and they get up to play NDSU. If this school was located in Sioux Falls, we would have an amazing rivalry and it would really help them out in recruiting. SDSU does a great job of focusing on who they are, tough midwest kids who aren't scared of a small town.

NDSU: You knew where this was going. Best head coach in FCS football at this time. His resume speaks for itself. When they need to reload their staff, they get bigtime coaches. Taking the UNI DC to be our D backs coach was an example of that. Many coaches have went through NDSU to the highest of levels, Tennessee, USC, and now the NFL. Coaches want to be at NDSU. Because they get paid, there is tradition and they win. Fargo is by far the best location of these 4 options. Located on the interstates with a "major" airport is critical in these recruiting battles. While I am not saying Fargo is Minneapolis, it sure isn't Brookings, GF or Verm. With a tradition of winning and a Teammakers group that is financially supporting the school/team/staff salaries, it is clear that the school has positioned itself to be a leader in FCS football, even though there are fans who do talk about moving up. The Fargodome, I don't realize how good it is until you see what other schools have. It is a legit facility at this level. How many of these schools have sold out their building prior to the season starting? Have we talked about tailgating? Well, at NDSU, we do it. You play football at NDSU, you are a star, not a hockey star, but a star of the campus.

NDSU has a small recruiting class coming in this year, so some kids will be offered alot more money at other schools potentially, but if a kid wants to be a part of a tradition, NDSU appears to be the easy choice. Hopefully some fans of other schools will chime in with their opinions, I look forward to their comments. Especially if someone disagrees. 12,000 fans went to Frisco. A billions fans were in the Metrodome, NDSU took over Sioux Falls when USD moved the game, I think the fanbase helps recruiting a ton. They see how important football is.

other considerations----Field of study. Is your field of study offered at any of these institutions. During your visit did they set up a meeting with anyone from that dept? Which coaching staff did you like the best. Which schools students and athletes did you feel more comfortable with? What role do the coaches see you playing? Are they stacked at your present position?

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 02:46 AM
other considerations----Field of study. Is your field of study offered at any of these institutions. During your visit did they set up a meeting with anyone from that dept? Which coaching staff did you like the best. Which schools students and athletes did you feel more comfortable with? What role do the coaches see you playing? Are they stacked at your present position?

I like the Mike Favor interview when he talks about NDSU and how they were they were the only school that said "you are going to graduate." I think we offer as many programs as the other guys. Is suppose if you want to be a doctor, you can take the Arden Beachy route and take pre med at NDSU and finsih up somewhere else. Lawyers? We don't want them anyway! (do we have a prelaw?) I see many former Bison with the title, Dr in their names. Don't we have the highest team GPA in the conference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3UeEgBpUxQ&sns=sms

Are we stacked at the depht chart? Good question but I think most of us would agree we want players who think they can earn the starting job.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2012, 02:53 AM
All four universities are excellent institutions.

If North Dakota State has your field of study...playing for the Bison is a simple decision.

56BISON73
10-30-2012, 02:56 AM
I like the Mike Favor interview when he talks about NDSU and how they were they were the only school that said "you are going to graduate." I think we offer as many programs as the other guys. Is suppose if you want to be a doctor, you can take the Arden Beachy route and take pre med at NDSU and finsih up somewhere else. Lawyers? We don't want them anyway! (do we have a prelaw?) I see many former Bison with the title, Dr in their names. Don't we have the highest team GPA in the conference?

Are we stacked at the depht chart? Good question but I think most of us would agree we want players who think they can earn the starting job.

:facepalm:

aces1180
10-30-2012, 03:01 AM

There are plenty of attorneys who first studied at NDSU before going somewhere else to get their law degree...

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 03:01 AM

is that for me or for the bad jamal spencer interview?

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 03:02 AM
There are plenty of attorneys who first studied at NDSU before going somewhere else to get their law degree...

... our very own swanny and cas. (actually seem to be the complete opposite of lawyer but hey)

56BISON73
10-30-2012, 03:04 AM
is that for me or for the bad jamal spencer interview?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
10-30-2012, 03:04 AM
Mikey was one of the great ones.

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 03:05 AM
:( :rofl:
:facepalm: :facepalm::rofl: :facepalm: :facepalm::) - - - - - -
:(:rofl:

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 03:07 AM
Mikey was one of the great ones.

Still bugs me Jamal Spencer didn't pick up on the Dr Smack reference

ndsubison1
10-30-2012, 03:13 AM

the facilities would still not be comparable. ndsu is much greater than unds

BlueBisonRock
10-30-2012, 03:15 AM
:( :rofl:
:facepalm: :facepalm::rofl: :facepalm: :facepalm::) - - - - - -
:(:rofl:

You ever notice that the little rolf dude appears to be doing more than hitting the floor.

CAS4127
10-30-2012, 03:17 AM
You ever notice that the little rolf dude appears to be doing more than hitting the floor.

It's a parody of Tranny-->at least that's what I always thought it was!! :(

344Johnson
10-30-2012, 03:23 AM
1.NDSU- Titles, commitment to winning, etc.
2a.UND- Alerus Center isn't THAT bad, pretty good tradition and all that stuff.
2b.SDSU- Definitely getting better it seems like. I like them. Seem hamstrung by location.
USD- They suck. Poor yotes.

dragonsfan
10-30-2012, 03:25 AM
NDSU
sdsu
msum
usd
concordia
und.

msum has the better coaching staff, just needs their recruiting classes to fill in.
concordia actually knows how to make the playoffs.

ndsubison1
10-30-2012, 03:27 AM
NDSU
sdsu
msum
usd
concordia
und.

msum has the better coaching staff, just needs their recruiting classes to fill in.
concordia actually knows how to make the playoffs.

lol. this ^

Buthockey
10-30-2012, 03:45 AM
The defense sucks just fine on their own thank you. I know eh? Da hosers are always jumping up in da play! Somebody's gotta stay at home eh... Like frosty on a weekend, stay at home shoeless Joe!

Vitojr130
10-30-2012, 03:59 AM
Hmm.....

NDSU: Fargodome
USD: Fixerupperdome
UND: The "Lookwehaveonetoo!"Dome
SDSU: Dumpy high school field + a dyke house...

Winner: NDSU

80ALUM
10-30-2012, 04:03 AM

I see what you mean about your QB playing injured. Happened to the Bison last year as our QB played injured all year. Oh wait..we still won a National Championship.

CalBison97
10-30-2012, 04:57 AM

Or here:

This is the first time I've seen the inside of that shed...O.M.F.G.!

CalBison97
10-30-2012, 05:01 AM
There are 100's of QB's that can throw a good ball out there. Doesn't mean the game is going to slow down for them and they are going to be able to be the general when called upon to lead and are going to make the right decisions when put into the situations.

see JaCarcus Russell

thebigund
10-30-2012, 05:03 AM
I see what you mean about your QB playing injured. Happened to the Bison last year as our QB played injured all year. Oh wait..we still won a National Championship.
Thank you for comparing turf toe to a broken bone in a leg.

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 05:05 AM
the facilities would still not be comparable. ndsu is much greater than unds

The Fargodome will be nicer than their indoor practice facility. We practice in there, ya know. But as a plan B, we're putting the same turf outdoors and putting a bubble over it and of course we have sprinturf on dacotah field and 2 grass fields. Besides Bohl prefers to practice outside. Before we went to Montana State and kicked their ass we practiced in the cold. The Sioux were obviously too soft to play in the cold. That's what the MSU fans think at least

southcliffbison
10-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Never been there; only have seen pictures. Does it look uglier in realtime?

344Johnson
10-30-2012, 05:11 AM
The Fargodome will be nicer than your indoor practice facility. We practice in there, ya know. But as a plan B, we're putting the same turf outdoors and putting a bubble over it and of course we have sprinturf on dacotah field and 2 grass fields. Besides Bohl prefers to practice outside. Before we went to Montana State and kicked their ass we practiced in the cold. Your guys were obviously too soft to play in the cold. That's what the MSU fans think at least

Is NDSU actually throwing a bubble over or it or is that speculation?

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 05:11 AM

Don't run into the wall when you score!! It looks like the fargo civic center, the centennial hall except a little bigger

CalBison97
10-30-2012, 05:15 AM

Never have been inside that place, nor will I. That was the first picture I have seen of the inside and I literally laughed at the rafters and the walls 2 feet away from the back of the endzone. That place is Arena Bowl heaven!

CalBison97
10-30-2012, 05:17 AM
Did they spray paint faux goal posts on the walls?

CaBisonFan
10-30-2012, 05:26 AM
Thank you for comparing turf toe to a broken bone in a leg.

Ever had a good case of turf toe? Frackin painful as hell.

HerdBot
10-30-2012, 05:32 AM

I fixed the picture. Although I think it's funny the only sellout crowd picture they have has a bunch of bison yellow in the crowd (11 years ago this is the best pic?) and I didn't fix that part. Looks like a typical game at Brookings or Sioux Falls. It was the superbowl.
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2262&d=1351575105

Bison03
10-30-2012, 05:35 AM
Butnickel.........

Rockbear99
10-30-2012, 05:52 AM
I don't have a Bison bone in my body.
Yep you are correct just a UND Vagina

BisonNation11
10-30-2012, 06:11 AM

I've been in there a few times, but never for a game. I would refer to it as being in a padded cell with JUST enough room to play football when you're down on the field. It is spread out so wide in the stands you don't feel like you're apart of the game or whatever event you are partaking in so you might as well just stay home (which is probably why they never have fans in the seats). Clean facility, just not fan or player friendly. We definitely have it pretty good in the dome (and we're not in the red either. :rimshot:)

tjbison
10-30-2012, 12:15 PM
Is NDSU actually throwing a bubble over or it or is that speculation?

No, gene made a comment that it could be something to look at, I figured it wouldn't take long for it to be "official" by the fans

smoothjack
10-30-2012, 12:43 PM
12 pages and no mention that if you attend NDSU your likelihood of being arrested increases drastically?

I kid I kid.. kind of.

bisonboone11
10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:... Oh. He actually believes that? :facepalm:

#1BISONFAN ASHLEY
10-30-2012, 01:33 PM
I for one could honestly care less about the 1v1 record. 9>1

344Johnson
10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
I don't think it will be that long until UND is a very respectable Big Sky program. I don't think they will ever catch Montana or Montana State consistently. But can they put together seasons when they are better than them? I sure think so.

I see them in a similar light to how I see SDSU. Can they have very good seasons? Yep. Are they going to be as good over long stretches of time as NDSU? Probably not.

USD, who knows. Never been in their dome. Don't know how good of an atmosphere it is, etc.

Leonardite
10-30-2012, 02:30 PM
And if it comes down to NDSU vs UND they can just look at the record, especially the recent head to head.

Speaks volumes about the state of your program when you cling to games from 10+ years ago and refer to them as "recent."

johnson
10-30-2012, 03:48 PM
No, gene made a comment that it could be something to look at, I figured it wouldn't take long for it to be "official" by the fansI think Gene said that they were going to put the footings in for a bubble now in case they decide to add one in the future. I took it as its going to happen just not right away.

TransAmBison
10-30-2012, 03:54 PM
You know who I would like to weigh in on this discussion? A UNI troll. Oh wait a second, they are even smart enough to know when they have been owned.

RowdyRabbit
10-30-2012, 04:01 PM
You fail to mention many things about SDSU that you mention about NDSU (coaches going through SDSU to higher levels, or coming to SDSU from higher levels, we fill the place regularly, ect....), but because it's your thread on your board, and I knew where you were going, I'll go with the following:

What? No mention of our hunting and fishing? I'm disappointed. :)

TransAmBison
10-30-2012, 04:07 PM
You fail to mention many things about SDSU that you mention about NDSU (coaches going through SDSU to higher levels, or coming to SDSU from higher levels, we fill the place regularly, ect....), but because it's your thread on your board, and I knew where you were going, I'll go with the following:

What? No mention of our hunting and fishing? I'm disappointed. :)We could talk about playoffs. :D

THEsocalledfan
10-30-2012, 04:09 PM

I am pretty sure this was in jest, but I had to neg rep you just to be sure. I was chuckling when the recent recruiting discussion was happening on SS.com how some were claiming scholarship cuts were not the reason UND got on NDSU's level for a short time. I laughed pretty hard at that and I pointed out, under an alter ego, that for the argument to hold up, UND would have to win at least 50% of head to head offer battles. Of course, those folks had obviously not thought that through in their logic.......thanks to Burgandy for leading them to the light even if they continue to close their eyes.

NorthernBison
10-30-2012, 04:19 PM
Props to Burgundy for his essay. I hope he's not a teacher because the question he ultimately asked is a non-question. He should have asked which other Dakota school would be the #2 choice.

G_Funky
10-30-2012, 04:25 PM

Don't know if this has been posted or not...

semobison
10-30-2012, 07:08 PM
All four universities are excellent institutions.

If North Dakota State has your field of study...playing for the Bison is a simple decision.

Amen to that! Enough chest thumping already!

CaBisonFan
10-30-2012, 07:09 PM

As a long-time Bison fan, I can say that we've had a 'lot' of practice being at the pinnacle. It doesn't feel like a pinnacle because we're used to being there. It's actually the standard for North Dakota State. Seasons with 3 or 4 losses are viewed as failures in Bison country.

The old rivalry went in cycles...because that's what rivalries do.

When UND has had the upper-hand...they haven't gotten much done. One national title is what I recall. North Dakota State is looking to claim its 10th national title. You've had some near misses...and we've had a helluva lot more. Seems like our 'pinnacles' have been extremely dominant periods for the program as far as the national scene.

I can remember one UND team that was a dominant team in the early 70s. That is all. But they didn't win a national title.

In my lifetime...the Bison have...on the average...owned UND and the national spotlight.

Rightful spot at the top of North Dakota? :rofl:

Grizzled
10-30-2012, 07:12 PM
How quickly we forget our 3-8 and 6-5 seasons and the great threads started on this board during that time. We turned out ok and had no problems recovering from those years, I'm sure others will be ok as well.

CaBisonFan
10-30-2012, 07:14 PM
How quickly we forget our 3-8 and 6-5 seasons and the great threads started on this board during that time. We turned out ok and had no problems recovering from those years, I'm sure others will be ok as well.

Montana has the tradition. They remember it. They will return to national prominence within 2 or 3 years. It will be demanded.

tjbison
10-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Don't know if this has been posted or not...

Long ago my friend

G_Funky
10-30-2012, 07:33 PM
Long ago my friend

figured as much...just seemed relevant to the situation...kid sees this and knows that out of the four schools in the Dakotas, there is a clear front runner...

ndsubison1
10-30-2012, 07:37 PM

and we can thank our coaching staffs for that. Lets see if the other turd Dakota schools can do that. Lets see if they can actually do something when they make the playoffs

Answer Guy
10-30-2012, 07:57 PM
130+ posts about why a kid picks a certain college, and only 6-7 mentions of academics. Wow.

THEsocalledfan
10-30-2012, 08:02 PM
130+ posts about why a kid picks a certain college, and only 6-7 mentions of academics. Wow.

Your point? :) Other serious thing I did not see were "legacy" issues other than by bigund and no one listens to him.

Bison-Knuckle
10-30-2012, 08:15 PM
For me, academics made 10% of the decision. The party scene made up the rest.

344Johnson
10-30-2012, 08:29 PM

I picked based on Papa Bear brainwashing me at a young age....that and Fargo is a great place.

KTF
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
For me, academics made 10% of the decision. The party scene made up the rest.Wouldn't UND be the logical choice since they are in the top 10 list for parting schools?

reformedUNDfan
10-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Wouldn't UND be the logical choice since they are in the top 10 list for parting schools?

only because being a party school is partly defined by not studying at all.

td577
10-30-2012, 08:39 PM

The difference is the low points for this program are no longer than the high points for the others. I will take that ratio any day. If the averages continue, in fifty years when I am just about dead NDSU will have 10 more championships and und will have 1. 19>2. Combined, all the other schools mentioned will have a total of maybe 4.

tjamz
10-30-2012, 08:42 PM
I picked based on Papa Bear brainwashing me at a young age...that and Fargo is a great place.

I'd have to agree with the bolded portion (my parents weren't big into either school, though they cheer for NDSU now). Grand Forks is basically a larger version of Devils Lake, in fact almost everyone I know in Grand Forks moved there from the Devils Lake area. Devils Lake is only good for fishing. That is it. Grand Forks isn't even good for that.

G_Funky
10-30-2012, 08:46 PM
went to SU because it was ridiculous to even begin to compare the four schools...UND preached how amazing and state of the art the Engelstad was, and that the football team wouldn't ever see it and that we would be shunned to the landfill, excuse me the Alerus...SDSU had a dump for a field house/locker room but they were in the process of planning a new one to be completed, two years after I was done...USD had no ground to stand on bc their Dakota Dump is a joke and Vermin is shit hole...the reason a kid picks against NDSU its because of playing time, family ties, or proximity to home...when it comes to academics, these kids dont know what they want to be, well they think they know but really have no idea...they come to play football and in the process they just happen to receive a stellar education.

Mr. Burgundy
10-30-2012, 08:57 PM

Hey Grizzled, the reason why we are able to recover so quickly is the fact that we have a powerful fanbase, crazy tradition, bigtime coaches and facilities that can't be compared with. When we have those type seasons, things change and we quickly rise again. not saying other schools won't be "ok" I am just saying that our recruiting advantages are significant in the region, which after reading all of these posts apparently isn't even argued much. Clearly at some point you need to figure out if they have your major, if it is their strenght.....etc. I mean Jenny Crouse wanted to be in aviation. That decision was pretty easy. Still disappointed that UN_ won't get enough wins as there was so much hype going into this season with their Heisman candidate transfer, I guess they didn't realize he wore the cement Nike shoes that made him immobile, but he can really sling it around to wide open receivers in a conference that doesn't play defense. I think that is just the Pac Ten/Big Sky way of life. Another reason why I think it is absolutely shocking UND left smashmouth to get caught up in that type of football. SDSU does it the right way, they don't pretend to be anyone they aren't. USD is hard to judge, they are new with a new coach, who gets it. He realized they were no match 2 weeks ago and admitted that with his comment that it was over when the bus showed up. He will make changes. They will get tougher. If UND doesn't make changes after this embarrassement of a season, you will see what their level of committment is.

thebigund
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
As a long-time Bison fan, I can say that we've had a 'lot' of practice being at the pinnacle. It doesn't feel like a pinnacle because we're used to being there. It's actually the standard for North Dakota State. Seasons with 3 or 4 losses are viewed as failures in Bison country.

The old rivalry went in cycles...because that's what rivalries do.

When UND has had the upper-hand...they haven't gotten much done. One national title is what I recall. North Dakota State is looking to claim its 10th national title. You've had some near misses...and we've had a helluva lot more. Seems like our 'pinnacles' have been extremely dominant periods for the program as far as the national scene.

I can remember one UND team that was a dominant team in the early 70s. That is all. But they didn't win a national title.

In my lifetime...the Bison have...on the average...owned UND and the national spotlight.

Rightful spot at the top of North Dakota? :rofl:
we actually won two bowl games in the 70's but weren't voted national champs

AjaxTheMighty
10-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Hey Grizzled, the reason why we are able to recover so quickly is the fact that we have a powerful fanbase, crazy tradition, bigtime coaches and facilities that can't be compared with. When we have those type seasons, things change and we quickly rise again. not saying other schools won't be "ok" I am just saying that our recruiting advantages are significant in the region, which after reading all of these posts apparently isn't even argued much. Clearly at some point you need to figure out if they have your major, if it is their strenght.....etc. I mean Jenny Crouse wanted to be in aviation. That decision was pretty easy. Still disappointed that UN_ won't get enough wins as there was so much hype going into this season with their Heisman candidate transfer, I guess they didn't realize he wore the cement Nike shoes that made him immobile, but he can really sling it around to wide open receivers in a conference that doesn't play defense. I think that is just the Pac Ten/Big Sky way of life. Another reason why I think it is absolutely shocking UND left smashmouth to get caught up in that type of football. SDSU does it the right way, they don't pretend to be anyone they aren't. USD is hard to judge, they are new with a new coach, who gets it. He realized they were no match 2 weeks ago and admitted that with his comment that it was over when the bus showed up. He will make changes. They will get tougher. If UND doesn't make changes after this embarrassement of a season, you will see what their level of committment is.

Why does this surprise you? Football is a flavor of the week sport up north. Both for fans and the coaching staff, It's treated like a second class sport up there and that will never change. I listened to their head coach interviewed on some sports show a few days after they beat Montana. I remember thinking, if he sounds like this to recruits, that is yet another of NDSU's major advantages in beating them in the recruiting war. It was a slobber-fest over that win. I heard dry humping in the background and I swear I could hear Pat Sweeney licking, like, an ice cream cone or something. It was hard to make out...wait...you don't suppose...Naw. Well, there was a lot of dead air, so...well, it is El Forko Grande!

Bisonguy
10-30-2012, 11:35 PM

Camellia Bown in 1972 and ........................????

Typically a team had to go undefeated to be voted national champions back then. UND lost to NDSU in 1972 (Delaware was voted NC in 1972 due to having an undefeated record).

IzzyFlexion
10-30-2012, 11:56 PM

Camellia Bown in 1972 and ........................????

Typically a team had to go undefeated to be voted national champions back then. UND lost to NDSU in 1972 (Delaware was voted NC in 1972 due to having an undefeated record).

epic claim to glory FAIL !

thebigund
10-31-2012, 12:11 AM
1966 we won the Pecan Bowl and the 1965 Mineral Water Bowl. Thought one of those was in the 70's for some reason.

344Johnson
10-31-2012, 12:20 AM
1966 we won the Pecan Bowl and the 1965 Mineral Water Bowl. Thought one of those was in the 70's for some reason.

NDSU beat UND both seasons as well as won the '65 title. NDSU also beat UND in 1966. Probably had something to do with UND not getting a title those two seasons.

thebigund
10-31-2012, 12:35 AM
NDSU beat UND both seasons as well as won the '65 title. NDSU also beat UND in 1966. Probably had something to do with UND not getting a title those two seasons.
Those days were probably the best and most even of the rivalry.

westnodak93bison
10-31-2012, 01:00 AM
Not sure why UND is even discussed in this thread. How about including UNI in the discussion since they are a legit competitor for recruits in our region?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

CaBisonFan
10-31-2012, 01:17 AM

Across the state there is something call Brookings envy...or hatred. I witnessed it first-hand for 7 years. SDSU is really not supported by the whole state...or even half of it. There's probably more Husker fans than Rabbit fans...including in Brookings. The city of Brookings likes to promote itself as 'someplace special'...and more Minnesota-like. New teachers were shown a movie with this content. It still exists. Weird...but true. It's a little different with their men's basketball team. More dedication there.

Honeybooboo
10-31-2012, 01:43 AM
I'd go to Minot St

Good ol beaver tech

99Bison
10-31-2012, 06:00 AM
I think I'd just ask the berg where to go if I was a recruit :biggrin:

CaBisonFan
10-31-2012, 01:26 PM

That happened to NDSU a couple of times too. We kept winning them, and the votes eventually came. And...we piled great season upon great season...beat Grambling (big thing in the day)...and the recognition finally came. We were consistently at the pinnacle...as you say.

As they say in music and art...it's the body of work.

Mr. Burgundy
11-26-2012, 10:33 PM
Bump: If you were being recruited by all 4 Dakota schools.

USD: Finished 0-8 in the big boy division. I don't see the hope. Coach trying to do his Bill Snyder impersonation, and it isn't working. They did beat Colgate!
UND: Just read their message board, their fans want their coach fired, usually a bad sign. They are complaining about the quality of their staff, their lack of improvement and basically finished a horrible season with a once in a lifetime horrible defense. You can't make it up, they were actually really that bad. I usually have to exaggerate how bad UND is at things, this year's defense was a treat. Not sure a recruit wants to go to play for the uncertainty in that staff. Why aren't they recruiting out West again? They will continue to recruit to hockey games, and pretend like they have that support. Next year they start out with a challenging schedule and will again be reminded that they chose to head to D1 many years too late. Their closest road game is farther than NDSU's closest.
SDSU: 4300 people at their first ever home playoff game? If NDSU was playing anywhere in the nation last week, NDSU would have brought more than 4300 fans to that location. Simply shocking. That weekend isn't ideal, but it was SDSU's first EVER home playoff game. Time to build the 25000 seat arena, that would look fantastic on TV. They are a solid program, with some solid players and a coach who gets the most out of their players. If they were in Sioux Falls, this would be a legit program. They lack the resourses to be in that NDSU/Montana of programs. They are in the #1 conference in football and doing a great job, a solid option for a kid to go to school.
NDSU: #1 in the Nation, won the toughest conference in FCS football, homefield through the playoffs. Sold out facility for every game all season long. Best coaching staff in America and most importantly an administration that goes through the wall for football. The lofty expectations are met with a serious administration. Football is bigtime at NDSU. Indoor facility that is sold out, 2 grass practice fields, two field turf practice fields, state of the art facilities inside the Fargodome, the recruits are impressed when they visit. Several kids have already had this question this year and already chosen NDSU. Hopefully we have a few more weeks of playoffs to host recruits. Can't imagine they won't be impressed. Lets make sure to save them a few tickets.

Signing day is just around the corner. A couple of these schools are still in the hunt, a couple are out hunting for recruits.

Grizzled
11-27-2012, 12:35 AM
If I'm a running back right now it would be between NDSU and SDSU. Any other offensive position besides RB and possibly OL I'd serisously look at any of the other schools above. SDSU at least throws the ball a little. UND and USD have a much better offense than we have if your TE or WR.

On defense, it depends what system I want to run. We obviously have the best defense in the country and the best coaches but a recruit isn't playing here right away if he signs up.

As far as the best coaches in the country, I'll add into our own "fire coaches" thread, our defensive coaches are better than anyone around, our offensive coaches are average at best. I guess it depends what a recruit wants. All the programs above have been pretty solid in the past. It wasn't long ago we were recruiting early and calling for our coaches heads. We may be looking for coaches this offseason for other reasons with all the openings that have opened up in the last couple days.

tolnabison
11-27-2012, 12:46 AM
If I'm a running back right now it would be between NDSU and SDSU. Any other offensive position besides RB and possibly OL I'd serisously look at any of the other schools above. SDSU at least throws the ball a little. UND and USD have a much better offense than we have if your TE or WR.

Disagree, winning trumps throwing the ball more. Still say a TE or WR would come here over them other schools. Its not like any of these schools are pipelines to the NFL. Reason UND and USD threw the ball so much was because they couldn't stop anybody. They had to throw in order to keep up. Plus we have had Veldman and Wurzbacher get looks in the NFL. Hackendorf was on a few practice squad teams. Who have they had other then Kliensasser and Chad Musturd back in the D-2 days make it as a WR or TE?

thebigund
11-27-2012, 12:51 AM
Right now NDSU is rolling and has a huge recruiting advantage. It will be interesting to see what the state of the program is in 4 years when the recruits of the past year and this year are huge parts of the team. Football success is cyclical and right now NDSU is near the apex if a cycle. I'm very intrigued to see how high the trough is when things taper off. I doubt it will be very low since NDSU hasn't stunk for long periods of time in a very long time.

Each schools has selling points, even USD.

UND is climbing out of a trough right now and will probably be more competitive with NDSU in recruiting in a few years. Once they get that IPF built they will have a huge leg up on the other schools. Oh and the retractable roof 30,000 seat stadium being on the horizon is very attractive to recruits

NDSUstudent
11-27-2012, 12:53 AM

On defense, it depends what system I want to run. We obviously have the best defense in the country and the best coaches but a recruit isn't playing here right away if he signs up.

As far as the best coaches in the country, I'll add into our own "fire coaches" thread, our defensive coaches are better than anyone around, our offensive coaches are average at best. I guess it depends what a recruit wants. All the programs above have been pretty solid in the past. It wasn't long ago we were recruiting early and calling for our coaches heads. We may be looking for coaches this offseason for other reasons with all the openings that have opened up in the last couple days.

I think our coaching staff has proven that if a player is good enough they can see the field right away. Not sure I agree about TE either, being in a pro-style offense probably helped Veldman get an NFL look.

CaBisonFan
11-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Right now NDSU is rolling and has a huge recruiting advantage. It will be interesting to see what the state of the program is in 4 years when the recruits of the past year and this year are huge parts of the team. Football success is cyclical and right now NDSU is near the apex if a cycle. I'm very intrigued to see how high the trough is when things taper off. I doubt it will be very low since NDSU hasn't stunk for long periods of time in a very long time.

UND is climbing out of a trough right now and will probably be more competitive with NDSU in recruiting in a few years. Once they get that IPF built they will have a huge leg up on the other schools. Oh and the retractable roof 30,000 seat stadium being on the horizon is very attractive to recruits

We're in the proper division now. We could go fbs...and would be successful. Our recruiting advantage goes far beyond winning now. Our low cycles would be considered good for a lot of programs. It's kinda like UND hockey. The low points are few and far between.

344Johnson
11-27-2012, 01:08 AM

Excellent use of font color. IPF should help, but gosh, the atmosphere at those games from what my UND friends tell me is a joke. When they want to watch football, they call me up and ask if I can snag them a ticket.

They all do have their own strengths that can attract players. But gosh it has got to be tough to go into the Dome the past couple years on a visit and turn that atmosphere down to go play at one of the other three.

NDSUstudent
11-27-2012, 01:15 AM

All the facilities in the world aren't going to help with the Mussman problem you have. Guy has been there five years and hasn't done a damn thing, nothing changes until you get a competent head coach. But please forget what I just said and give him a lifetime contract!

aces1180
11-27-2012, 01:22 AM
I nominate this thread for Hall of Fame!

thebigund
11-27-2012, 01:30 AM
Excellent use of font color. IPF should help, but gosh, the atmosphere at those games from what my UND friends tell me is a joke. When they want to watch football, they call me up and ask if I can snag them a ticket.

They all do have their own strengths that can attract players. But gosh it has got to be tough to go into the Dome the past couple years on a visit and turn that atmosphere down to go play at one of the other three.

Even though the attendance wasn't what it could have been had both teams been having better seasons, the Montana game had a very good atmosphere and there was a huge amount of energy in the building. It helps when the team you're playing brings a good amount of fans. Realistically next year is the make or break year for UNDs coaching staff. The schedule is perfect to make the playoffs, if they don't they'll be looking for jobs and hopefully Faison can hire a really good coach....... which I'm not exactly confident in...... maybe we'll hire Vigen. <-- I wish that color could be sarcastic.

reformedUNDfan
11-27-2012, 02:35 AM
a year ago i thought next year would be the year UND makes the playoffs. Now I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish below .500. I don't see much room for growth on offense with two new qb's and a rebuilt line and a missing workhorse RB. Defense replaces the entire d-line, one that everyone thought was supposed to be very solid. Wouldn't be surprised to see a dropoff into the bottom of the bigsky if there aren't a couple more diamonds in the rough like hendrickson.

CAS4127
11-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Bump: If you were being recruited by all 4 Dakota schools.

USD: Finished 0-8 in the big boy division. I don't see the hope. Coach trying to do his Bill Snyder impersonation, and it isn't working. They did beat Colgate!
UND: Just read their message board, their fans want their coach fired, usually a bad sign. They are complaining about the quality of their staff, their lack of improvement and basically finished a horrible season with a once in a lifetime horrible defense. You can't make it up, they were actually really that bad. I usually have to exaggerate how bad UND is at things, this year's defense was a treat. Not sure a recruit wants to go to play for the uncertainty in that staff. Why aren't they recruiting out West again? They will continue to recruit to hockey games, and pretend like they have that support. Next year they start out with a challenging schedule and will again be reminded that they chose to head to D1 many years too late. Their closest road game is farther than NDSU's closest.
SDSU: 4300 people at their first ever home playoff game? If NDSU was playing anywhere in the nation last week, NDSU would have brought more than 4300 fans to that location. Simply shocking. That weekend isn't ideal, but it was SDSU's first EVER home playoff game. Time to build the 25000 seat arena, that would look fantastic on TV. They are a solid program, with some solid players and a coach who gets the most out of their players. If they were in Sioux Falls, this would be a legit program. They lack the resourses to be in that NDSU/Montana of programs. They are in the #1 conference in football and doing a great job, a solid option for a kid to go to school.
NDSU: #1 in the Nation, won the toughest conference in FCS football, homefield through the playoffs. Sold out facility for every game all season long. Best coaching staff in America and most importantly an administration that goes through the wall for football. The lofty expectations are met with a serious administration. Football is bigtime at NDSU. Indoor facility that is sold out, 2 grass practice fields, two field turf practice fields, state of the art facilities inside the Fargodome, the recruits are impressed when they visit. Several kids have already had this question this year and already chosen NDSU. Hopefully we have a few more weeks of playoffs to host recruits. Can't imagine they won't be impressed. Lets make sure to save them a few tickets.

Signing day is just around the corner. A couple of these schools are still in the hunt, a couple are out hunting for recruits.

Great post Burg, but unless we r selling exactly that, some or most is not on recruits Xbox-->most want to play ASAP!!

DjKyRo
11-27-2012, 02:57 AM
Hell, if UND offers me a walk-on spot and I play defense, I take what I can get because I'll see the field next year. Note the lack of purple font.

Grizzled
11-27-2012, 03:21 AM
I think our coaching staff has proven that if a player is good enough they can see the field right away. Not sure I agree about TE either, being in a pro-style offense probably helped Veldman get an NFL look.

Being 6'8" probably helped Veldman more than the offense. He was the one of the least physical TE's we have had here in years and he either underproduced while he was here or was under utilized which goes back to the poor offensive coaching I talked about above. Not exactly the best coaching staff in the country (I assume Burgandy didn't mean to include the offense coaches) But he had upside being 6'8" and that is what got him a shot. We don't throw to our TE's and right now the successful TE's in the NFL are glorified WR's.

Mr. Burgundy
11-27-2012, 03:35 AM
I can't tell you how much I hate the old "I can play earlier at that school" excuse. If that was the case, Minnesota would win Big Big Ten battles. If you want to play on a shitty defense, with a coach that won't be there for your sophomore year because everyone knows he is going to get fired, then go play at the half full Alerus after they wow you on a hockey recruiting trip. If you want to play where nobody will ever know you played college football, go to USD. If you want to play legit football but be in NDSU's shadow, go to SDSU. At least they compete. If you want to play at a school that wants a National Title every year, then NDSU is a legit option. Grizzled, you can pick apart anything I have said, you can look at a coach here, or a position there, but we are putting kids in a position to make the NFL at alot of positions. Good for them, I am not going to be critical of a kid or a coach that is winning National Championships. Or, you could look at UNI and go to a school that is broke and has to schedule themselves out of the playoffs just to balance their budget. Long story short, we have a good thing going at NDSU. Tailgate/game on Saturday will show that.

ndsubisonx
11-27-2012, 04:04 AM
Being 6'8" probably helped Veldman more than the offense. He was the one of the least physical TE's we have had here in years and he either underproduced while he was here or was under utilized which goes back to the poor offensive coaching I talked about above. Not exactly the best coaching staff in the country (I assume Burgandy didn't mean to include the offense coaches) But he had upside being 6'8" and that is what got him a shot. We don't throw to our TE's and right now the successful TE's in the NFL are glorified WR's.

i think both were true of veldman. he didnt really do anything until his senior year when he broke out and became way more consistent

Honeybooboo
11-27-2012, 04:32 AM
i think both were true of veldman. he didnt really do anything until his senior year when he broke out and became way more consistent

He wasn't tough enough, was hurt his entire career

SamsRams
11-27-2012, 04:53 AM

This is a pretty lowlife comment. Id love to read your resume on how tough you are and then I will decide if you should be the judge of anybodies toughness.

As my sig reads I was raised with the saying Its not how tough you are, its how long you are tough! I am a big fan of Veldman because he stuck it out and proved he could be tough for 5 years in the NDSU program

BadlandsBison
11-27-2012, 05:08 AM

The point of this thread is that recruits who make the decision to come to NDSU have the opportunity to develop into great players and play at a high level. Veldman didn't have a hall of fame career at ndsu, but he didn't get a pro shot by accident. He would have made the NFL team minus an unfortunate injury.

NDSU recruits all have the chance to be great players on a great team in a great atmosphere :)

Btw, I'm not trying to give you a hard time Hbb!

SamsRams
11-27-2012, 06:19 AM
He would have made the NFL team minus an unfortunate injury.

I am guessing you mean the 53 man roster? Because he is still on the team just on the IR. And believe me, many teams cut players who are injured they dont hold onto them for no reason

http://www.jaguars.com/team/roster.html

NDSUBowler
11-27-2012, 07:01 AM
I am guessing you mean the 53 man roster? Because he is still on the team just on the IR. And believe me, many teams cut players who are injured they dont hold onto them for no reason

This, for sure.

It's huge he is still on the roster. Says they see enough in him to hold on for another year and reevaluate next year.

NorthernBison
11-27-2012, 11:57 AM
This, for sure.

It's huge he is still on the roster. Says they see enough in him to hold on for another year and reevaluate next year.

I think it is noteworthy that he didn't get cut. I'm not sure huge is the proper word. My guess is that he isn't costing them much and they would rather shell out a few bucks to make sure they can monitor his rehab and see how it turns out when camp opens.

The whole process is a meatgrinder and there will be a whole new crop of college players coming out and a bunch of TE's with his size and probably some of them will be as athletic. He'll get a good look this Summer but that will probably be a last chance to make a 53 man roster.

The Bison have had a decent level of success getting guys into NFL camps and a few have stuck on NFL rosters for a few years. I've been told that the average NFL career is only about 3-4 years so there's a heck of a lot of players who only get a year or two.

NorthernBison
11-27-2012, 12:31 PM
To get back on track:

There is only one choice for the recruit offered by all four programs. In addition, anybody offered by NDSU who chooses to go to one of the other three made a mistake. (that's how we learn)

Precisely the opposite of recruiting for women's basketball. #1 choice is SDSU without debate. Any other choice is settling for less than the best.

tony
11-27-2012, 12:36 PM
Ah, kids make decisions for all sorts of different reasons - many of them more emotional than logical ("I just felt at home.")

USD - opportunity to play in Sioux Falls once a year
SDSU - /buthunting /butfishing
UND - Any kick returner's dream school

HerdBot
11-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Ah, kids make decisions for all sorts of different reasons - many of them more emotional than logical ("I just felt at home.")

:rofl: well played!!

Bison"FANatic"
11-27-2012, 01:59 PM
:rofl: well played!!

Only if he enjoys the opportunity for the return and not the smack down he gets everytime because they forgot how to block the 11 guys coming at him full steam.

Might want to have the team neurologist on speed dial.:biggrin:

KTF
11-27-2012, 02:00 PM

I am ok with the "just felt like home" thought. When I looked at schools, NDSU felt right for me. I looked at the U of MN, it was not for me. I would expect that football players are no different then the rest of us. They can tell when they will "fit in" the system/university and when they won't.

BadlandsBison
11-27-2012, 02:37 PM

You know what, I just assumed he was cut after the injury. Whoops!

-1 for Badlands' situational awareness.

Kermit
11-27-2012, 02:44 PM
Only if he enjoys the opportunity for the return and not the smack down he gets everytime because they forgot how to block the 11 guys coming at him full steam.

Might want to have the team neurologist on speed dial.:biggrin:

Fortunately, former Bison fullback Matt Roller is a neurologist in Grand Forks (http://www.altru.org/find-a-physician-provider/detail/?id=221). He would be in good hands. :)

Grizzled
11-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Grizzled, you can pick apart anything I have said, you can look at a coach here, or a position there, but we are putting kids in a position to make the NFL at alot of positions. Good for them, I am not going to be critical of a kid or a coach that is winning National Championships. Or, you could look at UNI and go to a school that is broke and has to schedule themselves out of the playoffs just to balance their budget. Long story short, we have a good thing going at NDSU. Tailgate/game on Saturday will show that.

I won't argue with having a good thing going. Just pointing out that we also have a group of fans who would like to see "changes" amongst our coaching staff. Myself included. I forgot though, when its us who want changes than its a fan base who is passionate and demands the very best from the program. I don't want any recruits to think me and others wanting a change with our offensive staff or threads we once had about firing Bohl is somehow a "bad sign". Just depends how a person spins it I guess.

Mr. Burgundy
12-26-2012, 07:56 PM
BUMP. With roughly a month until National Signing Day I am bumping this thread.

NDSU: Since the last post, NDSU has packed the Fargodome to the rafters 3 times and won all three games putting itself in its second straight National title game. Craig Bohl was named the Eddie Robinson National Coach of the year. Chris Klieman was named National Coordinator of the year for his work with our defense. It will be a smaller class than normal, but larger than we may think from what I am told. If you are a high school kid and can play in this atmosphere, it would be hard to turn down.

SDSU: Clearly the second best regional FCS program in the region. Solid program, does more with less just ask their beat writer. I am sure he can pull out a stat that shows the programs were probably tied with us in 2nd and short conversions or something. Solid school, working on facilities. Should contend for the playoffs on a regular basis. Even TV stated in the post game presser after losing to NDSU that they got physically beat up by NDSU. They will continue to put a solid/physical team on the field. They need competition at QB. Solid second option for regional kids. I have no clue how they recruit kids from Arizona to Brookings. no clue. They have stuck to the basics, be physical, run the ball. Solid formula for success.

UNI: Not sure what to think. They reload. Their schedule/budget put them against the wall early in the season and they couldn't get it figured out. Not sure if anyone wants to play or coach for Farley. Horrible facility. Broke school forcing them to play on the road and take paychecks instead of putting together a schedule to allow your team to succeed.

USD: I am not sure what to say. Bottom feeder at this point. Horrible facility, no clue about their staff, not even sure what town they are located in. They are going to have to coach those boys up, because they won't be winning alot of battles. I would guess they go JUCO and transfer (more willing to take risks) than other schools. SIU is in that same boat.

UND: My biggest fear if I was a kid thinking about UND is that their staff isn't going to be around. Mussman will be forced to make changes especially to his defensive staff. There is no way around that. For a team that was historically a tough/physical team, they were historically bad on defense last year. They couldn't be more soft, but maybe they were just trying to fit in. He will either changes his staff or he will be done, they can't hang their hat on transition forever. They are a bottom feeder in a soft conference that will need to start to actually win some recruiting battles instead of being the only school to offer a kid an opportunity to play at the D1 level. They recruit to hockey weekends and think that football is even close to that on their campus. They are second class athletes at UND. I would guess they will beat us on a couple of kids this year with how much playing time and money they can throw at a kid. Eventually kids want a promise, and they will give those promises out as they have nobody on defense that can do anything right now. If you sign, you are on the depth chart. That is important to kids. Average facility, better than some, worse than others, but a fanbase that quit. They are tired of the on field performance.

westnodak93bison
12-27-2012, 12:05 AM
I like your analysis. With the economy being down I wonder if the money is more tempting now compared to several years ago?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

dewey
12-27-2012, 02:55 AM
Great analysis Mr. Burgundy! Hopefully none of those other schools pull in a class like the current junior class.

Go Bison!

Dewey

BadlandsBison
12-27-2012, 04:45 AM
UND: My biggest fear if I was a kid thinking about UND is that their staff isn't going to be around. Mussman will be forced to make changes especially to his defensive staff. There is no way around that. For a team that was historically a tough/physical team, they were historically bad on defense last year. They couldn't be more soft, but maybe they were just trying to fit in. He will either changes his staff or he will be done, they can't hang their hat on transition forever. They are a bottom feeder in a soft conference that will need to start to actually win some recruiting battles instead of being the only school to offer a kid an opportunity to play at the D1 level. They recruit to hockey weekends and think that football is even close to that on their campus. They are second class athletes at UND. I would guess they will beat us on a couple of kids this year with how much playing time and money they can throw at a kid. Eventually kids want a promise, and they will give those promises out as they have nobody on defense that can do anything right now. If you sign, you are on the depth chart. That is important to kids. Average facility, better than some, worse than others, but a fanbase that quit. They are tired of the on field performance.

It didn't fool these 3 big time recruits

Grizzled
12-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Our best recruiting class (potentially ever) came following a 3-8 season with some of our coaches leaving following the season.