PDA

View Full Version : student tickets siu

HerdBot
10-23-2012, 02:16 AM
here's to hoping for a great student turnout. The first 3 games were tremendous but it dipped off at Indiana State. Hopefully they have a plan to pack the dome. I know the non students will be energized because the game speaks for itself.

anyone have any info how tickets went today?

Ross
10-23-2012, 02:24 AM
I saw a tweet today posted by the NDSU Athletics account that 2000 were claimed today by 5 pm. So... mediocre response from the students so far this week.

reformedUNDfan
10-23-2012, 02:25 AM
mediocre response so far from the students so far this week.
purple font?

Ross
10-23-2012, 02:40 AM
I don't know if purple font applies... I mean for the YSU game, the ticket server crashed. I really didn't follow how quickly the tickets got claimed for Indiana State. I guess we'll find out if it picks up tomorrow.

NDSU92
10-23-2012, 02:52 AM
purple font?

Student tickets haven't normally been all accounted for until Wed or Thurs night. I'd give it some more time before concluding how the student turnout will be this weekend.

HerdBot
10-23-2012, 02:54 AM
I saw a tweet today posted by the NDSU Athletics account that 2000 were claimed today by 5 pm. So... mediocre response from the students so far this week.

Historically if 2k go in the first day it doesn't sell out unless they have some sort of major push. Hopefully they can find some creative ways to get the word out. If I recall, last year we had DjKyro driving around on a golf cart and ticket tables set up in the union.

Need a sellout. HUGE game!

Gully
10-23-2012, 02:55 AM
I have a feeling their response will be down slightly but I still think they'll turn out pretty well. For sure 3,000+. I just hope if they're not claiming them they get put on sale on Saturday.

HerdBot
10-23-2012, 03:12 AM
I have a feeling their response will be down slightly but I still think they'll turn out pretty well. For sure 3,000+. I just hope if they're not claiming them they get put on sale on Saturday.

75% capacity would be terrible. They've talked about selling tickets and did it in the playoffs. I want to see this happen in the regular season.

BisonNation11
10-23-2012, 03:41 AM
DJ, if you read this, I'm out of work due to an accident and would be willing to drive a golf cart around to promote ticket sales! The students need to understand what these home games mean as far as the playoffs go!

devin45k
10-24-2012, 02:01 PM
I really wish they would fix the student ticket thing.

They should charge a small fee for the ticket, even if it was 3 bucks, to get the fairweather fans outta there or keep them there a little longer. They should also sell the extra tix after a certain date during the week.

90 BISON
10-24-2012, 02:15 PM
I really wish they would fix the student ticket thing.

They should charge a small fee for the ticket, even if it was 3 bucks, to get the fairweather fans outta there or keep them there a little longer. They should also sell the extra tix after a certain date during the week.

They already charge for student tickets through student fees.

NDSU92
10-24-2012, 02:27 PM
Any updates on student tickets?

Strommer10
10-24-2012, 04:26 PM
Any updates on student tickets?
There are still some left per NDSU Twitter:

"Student tickets still remain for Saturday's game #bisonation. Get yours today at http://www.gobison.com/students . Tickets are FREE for students. #ndsu "

https://twitter.com/NDSUAthletics/status/261131732978384896

There's really no excuse for all of the students that will be in town this weekend. Especially for those who complained on homecoming that there wasn't enough student tickets available.

Vitojr130
10-24-2012, 04:36 PM
There are still some left per NDSU Twitter:

"Student tickets still remain for Saturday's game #bisonation. Get yours today at http://www.gobison.com/students . Tickets are FREE for students. #ndsu "
There's really no excuse for all of the students that will be in town this weekend. Especially for those who complained on homecoming that there wasn't enough student tickets available.

Best lie right there... If free means a $140 per semester athletics fee, then yes, it's free. But last I checked, that fee is what covers student tickets and the athletic dept....

Bison bison
10-24-2012, 07:30 PM
and a one-thousand-and-one other things.

students have a very good deal.

HerdBot
10-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Are we ready to sell 500 of these to the general public yet?

bisonwest
10-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Are we ready to sell 500 of these to the general public yet?
Absolutely! If this continues I think dropping the allotment to 3,000 should be entertained. Que student bitching about tuition.

NDSU92
10-25-2012, 12:33 AM
Absolutely! If this continues I think dropping the allotment to 3,000 should be entertained. Que student bitching about tuition.

I have absolutely no problem with NDSU selling unused student tickets and adjusting the sections reserved for students accordingly. I don't think reducing the size of the student section is a good idea for the following reasons:

1. The student section is the heart and soul of the crowd, most of the energy and noise come from the sections with students in them. (When you see players excited after a play where do you see them point/pump up the crowd?)

2. The reason why college football is different than the NFL is because teams are built around an institution of higher education. Keeping kids out of the games because they can't afford prices that alumni and general public can afford just doesn't seem right to me.

3. If NDSU athletics were to reduce the size of the student section, they would most likely have to renegotiate student fees redirected towards NDSU athletics, instead of keeping the student fees where they are at and then selling tickets on top of that.

Like I said, I have absolutely no problem with selling unreserved tickets, or at least selling SRO tickets to the public and they can figure out where to sit. Yes, the student section will probably have less than 4,000 this weekend. For most season opener games, UNI, SDSU, and homecoming games, there are well over 4,000 that want tickets. Why not at least give them the opportunity to watch the school that they go to participate in an athletic event?

Bison03
10-25-2012, 01:13 AM
It could be worse. Here is a pic of the UND/Montana game. The student section goes from the 40 to the goalline. Pretty pathetic. Go over to ss and look at the thread about their student attendance.

Tatanka
10-25-2012, 01:39 AM
It could be worse. Here is a pic of the UND/Montana game. The student section goes from the 40 to the goalline. Pretty pathetic. Go over to ss and look at the thread about their student attendance.

2246R. O. F. L.

And add to it their SID all over twitter begging people to tell him why students don't go to games.

td577
10-25-2012, 01:54 AM
I thought Ndsu had a system where unclaimed student tickets were sold to the public?

DjKyRo
10-25-2012, 02:24 AM
DJ, if you read this, I'm out of work due to an accident and would be willing to drive a golf cart around to promote ticket sales! The students need to understand what these home games mean as far as the playoffs go!

I don't have any connection to the NDSU marketing dept. The Yell Leaders or members of the Bison Ambassadors would be responsible for something like this (which I don't know if they do or don't, I'm not around campus enough during primetime hours to really know).

Also, to Gabe's earlier post, there is and has been a ticket promotion area in the Union during lunch hours every single home game of the season with a laptop for students to log in and get a ticket right there.

We go through this every single year (EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.) where student attendance drops after homecoming. Those who want to drop allotment don't remember the first three home games of the year, apparently. Yeah, it sucks that that doesn't stay consistent, but wait for SDSU. It'll be packed.

EightyfourBison
10-25-2012, 03:07 AM
We go through this every single year (EVERY. SINGLE. YEAR.) where student attendance drops after homecoming. Those who want to drop allotment don't remember the first three home games of the year, apparently. Yeah, it sucks that that doesn't stay consistent, but wait for SDSU. It'll be packed.

Isn't that the deer opener?

DjKyRo
10-25-2012, 03:08 AM

nm. Later, students.

344Johnson
10-25-2012, 03:12 AM

If so, couldn't NDSU request that NDSU plays on the road for deer opener?

BigBison
10-25-2012, 03:15 AM
MN deer opener is the weekend of Nov 3-4. ND's is the 9th.

SDbison
10-25-2012, 05:20 PM
If Bison fans are going to miss the game against SDSU please be sure to get your tickets to someone who will attend and cheer on NDSU.
BACK ON TOPIC
So how many students have picked up tickets for the SIU game as of noon today? Just seems odd that students can't get to the dome to watch the top FCS football team in the nation when their tickets are already paid for........OK, some students have to work, and some have homework to catch up on, after that most excuses are lame!

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
10-25-2012, 05:59 PM
I don't have any connection to the NDSU marketing dept. The Yell Leaders or members of the Bison Ambassadors would be responsible for something like this (which I don't know if they do or don't, I'm not around campus enough during primetime hours to really know).

Also, to Gabe's earlier post, there is and has been a ticket promotion area in the Union during lunch hours every single home game of the season with a laptop for students to log in and get a ticket right there.

Yes, this seems to be a topic every single year, which should show people that there is an issue. Students are allotted to many tickets is they can't use all of their tickets for every home game. Drop their allottment by 500 for next year, if they use all of their tickets for every game next year, then give them the 500 back. Keep taking 500 tickets away every year, until they get to a number that the students will actual use for every game, not just homecoming.

gotts
10-25-2012, 06:13 PM
Yes, this seems to be a topic every single year, which should show people that there is an issue. Students are allotted to many tickets is they can't use all of their tickets for every home game. Drop their allottment by 500 for next year, if they use all of their tickets for every game next year, then give them the 500 back. Keep taking 500 tickets away every year, until they get to a number that the students will actual use for every game, not just homecoming.

This is a good idea....

...if the Bison were a professional team not affiliated with a university.

tony
10-25-2012, 06:19 PM
This is a good idea....

...if the Bison were a professional team not affiliated with a university.

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, we should never take anything away from the students unless they give it. Heck, whose worse about using their tickets: Students or Team Makers?

Kermit
10-25-2012, 06:53 PM
I am not in favor of reducing the ticket allotment for students. I am in favor of putting unclaimed tickets up for sale at some point during the week.

roadwarrior
10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I am not in favor of reducing the ticket allotment for students. I am in favor of putting unclaimed tickets up for sale at some point during the week.

Exactly. Friday noon would be a good time I think.

HerdBot
10-25-2012, 07:21 PM

a good tradeoff would be access to more GA for homecoming or/and standing room only seats

THEsocalledfan
10-25-2012, 07:34 PM

I, for the life of me, can't figure out why they haven't done this. As I've said before, it think they may need student government sign off, but project what money you will generate and give 50% back as a student fee reduction. I'd be all for that if a student senator.

Bison03
10-25-2012, 08:49 PM
So to ask a question that might already have been answered; Are unused student tickets put up for sale to the general public?

roadwarrior
10-25-2012, 08:51 PM
So to ask a question that might already have been answered; Are unused student tickets put up for sale to the general public?

No............

Comfortably Numb Bison
10-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Considering the students pay a "fee" I say sell tickets not claimed by noon on Friday. Then take that money ($20 - 25/ticket x ~500 tickets x the 4 or 5 games that have remaining tickets. Create an additional partial scholarship to be given away at the final home game of the year to those students in attendance. They could call it the "Final Drive Scholarship". Thoughts?

McBison
10-26-2012, 01:41 AM
I agree with reallocating the student tickets as long as it would be expanded to all season tickets....weekly pick up...unclaimed are up for grabs Friday at noon

56BISON73
10-26-2012, 01:52 AM
I agree with reallocating the student tickets as long as it would be expanded to all season tickets....weekly pick up...unclaimed are up for grabs Friday at noon

How do you handle people who are from out of town. People who travel for business etc etc?

McBison
10-26-2012, 02:00 AM
How do you handle people who are from out of town. People who travel for business etc etc?

Those people are out of luck? I don't know how to do the purple font, but I wasn't serious...point being that I'm not ready to shrink the student section because they aren't at 100% capacity for all games.

NDSU92
10-26-2012, 02:07 AM
Why wait till Friday to release unclaimed tickets? If you can't reserve a ticket by Wednesday at noon you either live in a cave, or you don't actually care about going to the game.

56BISON73
10-26-2012, 02:10 AM
Those people are out of luck? I don't know how to do the purple font, but I wasn't serious...point being that I'm not ready to shrink the student section because they aren't at 100% capacity for all games.

I agree. But there has to be a point to where they release the tickets to the general public.

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2012, 02:22 AM
I agree. But there has to be a point to where they release the tickets to the general public.

I think what no one on here is taking about, though, is this is a big political issue for NDSU athletics. Any changes to how this happens would need to go through student government as they control the activity fee money. In other words, the athletic department cannot take away these tickets without consulting student government.

So quit saying they need to change the policy, and instead talk about the kind of deal they could strike with student government.

344Johnson
10-26-2012, 02:27 AM
If you guys want, I could probably e-mail the student government. Maybe if a student gets the ball rolling....students only have until Friday at like 5 PM anyway to get tickets, knock that back to noon on Friday. Get butts in those seats if students wont. Some weeks there wont be any tickets available, but some there would be enough.

stevdock
10-26-2012, 02:30 AM
a good tradeoff would be access to more GA for homecoming or/and standing room only seats

I don't agree. Homecoming is the most sought after ticket on the schedule for everyone. Why would you take tickets away from the population that sells out their sections and instead catering to the students that only want to show up for one half of one game for the entire season?

56BISON73
10-26-2012, 02:32 AM
I think what no one on here is taking about, though, is this is a big political issue for NDSU athletics. Any changes to how this happens would need to go through student government as they control the activity fee money. In other words, the athletic department cannot take away these tickets without consulting student government.

So quit saying they need to change the policy, and instead talk about the kind of deal they could strike with student government.

So they make a deal with student govt to change the policy. Either way the policy is changed and that is the original premise.

THEsocalledfan
10-26-2012, 02:42 AM
So they make a deal with student govt to change the policy. Either way the policy is changed and that is the original premise.

That is my point; does anyone know that they reached out to student senate? Nothing can happen without their permission.

HerdBot
10-26-2012, 02:45 AM
I don't agree. Homecoming is the most sought after ticket on the schedule for everyone. Why would you take tickets away from the population that sells out their sections and instead catering to the students that only want to show up for one half of one game for the entire season?

Because the current system doesn't work. We need to look at the big picture over the full season and find a good balance. Its a negotiation process. They wont give up something without getting something in return. Why should they

BisonNation11
10-26-2012, 04:09 AM
You guys are pretty lenient. I'd say the students have until Wednesday at 5 PM to claim tickets, otherwise Thursday morning at 8 AM they go on sale to the public. The money from the ticket sales can go towards the athletic department or an organization/charity the students decide on. People need time to plan on being at games and if the students can't fill those seats with a CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING product on the field, than let someone else who wants to be there have the opportunity to be there. I don't care how anyone would go about getting this all done with the student government, but that would be my proposal. No reason with the caliber of team we have that students can't claim those tickets by mid-week.

HerdBot
10-26-2012, 05:21 AM
You guys are pretty lenient. I'd say the students have until Wednesday at 5 PM to claim tickets, otherwise Thursday morning at 8 AM they go on sale to the public. The money from the ticket sales can go towards the athletic department or an organization/charity the students decide on. People need time to plan on being at games and if the students can't fill those seats with a CHAMPIONSHIP WINNING product on the field, than let someone else who wants to be there have the opportunity to be there. I don't care how anyone would go about getting this all done with the student government, but that would be my proposal. No reason with the caliber of team we have that students can't claim those tickets by mid-week.

you're probably right. i thought winning cures all? obviously not. we are the defending national champions in a good position late in the year for christs sake

reformedUNDfan
10-26-2012, 07:53 AM
let UND students claim NDSU football tickets if they are available on saturday.

thats not self serving advice at all :biggrin:

344Johnson
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
let UND students claim NDSU football tickets if they are available on saturday.

thats not self serving advice at all :biggrin:

We'd have ticket demand through the roof. They heard NDSU plays something called defense. Apparently it is this hip new trend where you stop the other team from scoring every time they have the ball.

G_Funky
10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
What I can't understand for the life of me is how there aren't enough students claiming the full allotment of tickets?! I mean at any university with a football program worth its salt, games on Saturday is just what you do...and I would like to think we have a program like that. The policy wont change because then when we start hosting playoff games and it all of a sudden becomes relevant again, the students are going to want all the tickets they can possibly get. Heck at the end of last year in the playoffs I remember students complaining there wasn't enough tickets for them. But still, I just don't understand how there isn't a packed student section...

Professor Chaos
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
What I can't understand for the life of me is how there aren't enough students claiming the full allotment of tickets?! I mean at any university with a football program worth its salt, games on Saturday is just what you do...and I would like to think we have a program like that. The policy wont change because then when we start hosting playoff games and it all of a sudden becomes relevant again, the students are going to want all the tickets they can possibly get. Heck at the end of last year in the playoffs I remember students complaining there wasn't enough tickets for them. But still, I just don't understand how there isn't a packed student section...
I don't know where you're getting that from. I think for every playoff game last year they opened up sections 10 and 11 (south end zone student sections in the regular season) for GA by the middle of game week. And in the playoffs students have to purchase tickets just like the rest of us since the host institution has to send the majority of the gate receipts to the NCAA. Unless the university picks up the tab, which they do at some schools, the students pay $5-$10 for a ticket.

G_Funky
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't know where you're getting that from. I think for every playoff game last year they opened up sections 10 and 11 (south end zone student sections in the regular season) for GA by the middle of game week. And in the playoffs students have to purchase tickets just like the rest of us since the host institution has to pay the NCAA a significant cut of the gate receipts. Unless the university picks up the tab, which they do at some schools, the students pay $5-$10 for a ticket.

My mistake for mixing football with politics...one's an American past time the other an American embarrassment...but back to my point, section should be full

SDbison
10-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Kids in the upper midwest don't get it.........they would rather play video games, watch tv, go shopping or bowling.

HerdBot
10-26-2012, 04:33 PM
Its Friday noon and tickets are still available for what amounts to being the biggest game of the season while thousands are willing to pay top dollar for seats. This is fucked up

CAS4127
10-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Did NDSU release any tickets this morning?!

HerdBot
10-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Did NDSU release any tickets this morning?!

wow tons of great tickets are on sale at gobison.com, spread the word

CAS4127
10-26-2012, 04:44 PM

I just did, thanks to your message.

CAS4127
10-26-2012, 04:50 PM

How can you tell there are "tons of great tickets" available?

EndZoneQB
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Kids in the upper midwest don't get it.........they would rather play video games, watch tv, go shopping or bowling.

I think you missed the main one: Drink.

HerdBot
10-26-2012, 05:11 PM
How can you tell there are "tons of great tickets" available?

did a search and i'm seeing seats that haven't been available in probably a year... maybe not tons but there are great tickets available probably won't last long

Civil06
10-26-2012, 06:47 PM
did a search and i'm seeing seats that haven't been available in probably a year... maybe not tons but there are great tickets available probably won't last long

I picked up 3 on Section 18 and there's still two available in Section 17. There were about 100 available this morning in sections 17, 18, and 19. Also lots of tickets were available in Section 6. Not sure where they all came from but I'm not complaining.

dragonsfan
10-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I know a few pals picked up standing room only when they called the 231 ndsu #, why wouldnt the ticket people offer them those lower level seats instead? plus, why wouldnt they just move the band to the top of the student section that would be neat.

GCWaters
10-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Two seats premium sideline not available at 1:50....section six is the best available for two....

Bison03
10-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Update: 2 together in premium reserved are no longer available. You can get a premium reserved single in section 19, row DD. Sideline reserved available in section 6, row k. Get the word out to all those who think it is sold out. Come on Bison Nation, full up the dome for this big game.

NDSUBowler
10-26-2012, 07:00 PM
What's wrong with bowling!?

Civil06
10-26-2012, 07:07 PM
I know a few pals picked up standing room only when they called the 231 ndsu #, why wouldnt the ticket people offer them those lower level seats instead? plus, why wouldnt they just move the band to the top of the student section that would be neat.

Not sure. There weren't any lower seats available, at least that I saw. The lowest I saw was HH in the premium sideline and DD in the reserved. But there were some great sections available.

dragonsfan
10-26-2012, 07:14 PM
ok civil, sounds good. I just found it odd they are selling alot of standing room only, perhaps the ushers will allow those people to sit in top 10 rows of student section?

Civil06
10-26-2012, 07:42 PM
ok civil, sounds good. I just found it odd they are selling alot of standing room only, perhaps the ushers will allow those people to sit in top 10 rows of student section?

Unless the crowd compares to the YSU game, that's what I'd do.

SiouxHockeyBisonFo
10-28-2012, 03:03 AM
Another impressive showing by students today. Only 2 sections were empty today! Nice work, it is amazing the support the student body is showing this year. Maybe the univ shoul consider giving them another couple sections for next year? What a joke.

stevdock
10-28-2012, 03:45 AM
Another impressive showing by students today. Only 2 sections were empty today! Nice work, it is amazing the support the student body is showing this year. Maybe the univ shoul consider giving them another couple sections for next year? What a joke.

Dont just blame them. The dome was nowhere close to sold out and even quite a few fans that were there didnt care or left way too early.

1998braves64
10-28-2012, 05:27 AM
The student section hasn't been full since the first game of the year and homecoming. If they're not filling it every game they don't deserve those seats imo.

DIBISON
10-28-2012, 05:42 AM
Get off the student kick. Every other FCS program would die for the support that NDSU has from the students. Great job!

1998braves64
10-28-2012, 05:56 AM
Why? because the only time they sell out is first game of the year and homecoming? give it to people who want to go... Make the student ticket a need to get ticket before giving them any more seating again as they have for the rest of us. the end zone seats were pretty sparse. If they complain they can just show pictures of plenty of football games that were not attended. The easy solution is to open the area above the band to GA then t hey can always give those tickets back to students when the demand becomes to the point they need them. In high demand games, they can buy tickets like everyone else if they want to go that bad and they weren't ambitious enough to jump on and get their student ticket right away.

1998braves64
10-28-2012, 05:59 AM
Get off the student kick. Every other FCS program would die for the support that NDSU has from the students. Great job!

I can't say less than 20% turnout of all students is "to die for support". Kudos to the students that did show up yes. But I think the lament is that there were a lot of open seats that could have possibly been filled. Just the same with any of the open teammaker seats that we all complain about too.

b15on
10-28-2012, 02:59 PM
You would think that the last home game of the regular season, senior day, dakota marker game, that there would be a full student section.

aces1180
10-28-2012, 03:19 PM
You would think that the last home game of the regular season, senior day, dakota marker game, that there would be a full student section.

ND Hunting opener...I hope they show up, but I have my doubts.

BismarckBisonFan
10-28-2012, 03:45 PM
ND Hunting opener...I hope they show up, but I have my doubts.

North Dakota’s 2012 deer season is set, with 65,300 licenses available to hunters this fall, 44,650 fewer than last year and the lowest since 1988.

With the decrease in number of tags I don't think the impact will be that much.