View Full Version : How Bout That Bison Defense

b15on
10-22-2012, 12:17 AM
NDSU Defense leads all D-I schools (FBS-FCS) in yards/game

1. NDSU 185.71 ypg
2. Alabama 195.57 ypg (FBS leader)
3. Florida State 226.50 ypg
4. LSU 243.38 ypg
5. Georgia Southern 274.71 ypg (FCS 2nd)

Bison D also second in points/game among all D-I schools (FBS-FCS)

1. Alabama 8.3 ppg
2. NDSU 8.4 ppg
3. Notre Dame 9.4 ppg
4. Rutgers 11.4 ppg
5. Florida 12.1 ppg
6. Indiana State 12.4 ppg (FCS 2nd)

Snowgoose
10-22-2012, 12:35 AM
The defense is really something special. Grant Olson's ability to make a quick decision and slice through the hole for a tackle is a thing of beauty. I wasn't sure how he would do at that position to start the year,but he is the real deal. Maybe this is a little overboard but with play like that he may get looks as an outside linebacker at the next level.

Mr. Burgundy
10-22-2012, 01:10 AM

1. NDSU 185.71 ypg
4. LSU 243.38 ypg

1. Alabama 8.3 ppg
2. NDSU 8.4 ppg
3. Notre Dame 9.4 ppg
4. Rutgers 11.4 ppg
5. Florida 12.1 ppg

4 first downs, one play in our territory. That was a complete bitch slapping. There is something sweet about having a GREAT defense. A swagger about our team. I cannot wait until the playoffs. We give up 100 yards less than the next best team at our level. These numbers are hard to comprehend. Not only do we have great players, but great leaders. Congrats to Coach Kleiman and his staff and players.

BisonNation11
10-22-2012, 01:40 AM
Every time I go back and watch a game on TV, I see how smart our linebackers and safeties are/are becoming. I pray very heavily that we first make the playoffs, second get seeded and play at home, and third play option/or passing teams. The discipline the LB have on option plays is unbelievable. They fill space, stretch the run, and then they collectively fly to the ball! And if we play a passing team, the D-line will pin their ears back and cause the other team to have a very long day!

stevdock
10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Agreed!!! I've heard some people say they don't want to see ODU with their stud QB. Bring them on as our line would get after him all day long. Bring on the Big Sky also, in my opinion they aren't as good as their records indicate.

I have complete faith in our team but two teams I don't want to see is Sam Houston because they could most likely be a playoff opening game. The other is James Madison, just because they are built very much like us. Plus that might be more of a war of attrition meaning the winner might not have enough healthy bodies to take on the next team.

344Johnson
10-22-2012, 02:12 AM
Agreed!!! I've heard some people say they don't want to see ODU with their stud QB. Bring them on as our line would get after him all day long. Bring on the Big Sky also, in my opinion they aren't as good as their records indicate. .

I might get trashed for this but I think the Big Sky is pretty good this year. I am not sure about the defense but the offense seems legit. Then again....they always seem to have offense.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 02:14 AM
I sat in front row (with Lakes :)). In doing so, I was able to appreciate just how fast our D plays-->it's fast, and speed kills regardless of whether on D or O. Was fun to see that!! Dudzick can fly!!

westnodak93bison
10-22-2012, 02:20 AM
4 first downs, one play in our territory. That was a complete bitch slapping. There is something sweet about having a GREAT defense. A swagger about our team. I cannot wait until the playoffs. We give up 100 yards less than the next best team at our level. These numbers are hard to comprehend. Not only do we have great players, but great leaders. Congrats to Coach Kleiman and his staff and players.

Exactly. I'll take a dominant D over a dominant O any day. 76 yds and a shut out is insane.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

stevdock
10-22-2012, 02:22 AM
I might get trashed for this but I think the Big Sky is pretty good this year. I am not sure about the defense but the offense seems legit. Then again....they always seem to have offense.

you might be right. just go check out schedules and records of the entire conference though sometime. I think EWU is legit but the rest have alot to prove in my opinion.

344Johnson
10-22-2012, 02:27 AM
I sat in front row (with Lakes :)). In doing so, I was able to appreciate just how fast our D plays-->it's fast, and speed kills regardless of whether on D or O. Was fun to see that!! Dudzick can fly!!

Duds can fly. I saw you down there with Lakes. I was row I. Were the other guys down there Bisonviller's as well? I piss Lakes off on AGS all the time or I would have come down and said hello.

Lakes is one intense fan. His dance moves....clearly he is not young enough to be dancing to those tunes :facepalm:

tjbison
10-22-2012, 02:32 AM

Disagree, watched several big fluffy games, Montana st is not exceptional, we pounded them in 2010 and would do so again, only thing is it would be a home game this time, EWU is good but the 2010 team with Jones and Bo Levi looked better

Not saying they suck but the smash mouth style we play in the valley is hard for the fluffy teams to match up with

344Johnson
10-22-2012, 02:49 AM
Not saying they suck but the smash mouth style we play in the valley is hard for the fluffy teams to match up with

Not saying I disagree that we match up good with the Sky, but after seeing YSU scores the past couple weeks coupled with ISU-R's recent performances, I think the Valley has several solid teams, not a bunch of good ones though like Valley fans seem to think. Heck, SDSU got spanked at UNI...Indiana State got spanked at home by SDSU. Last season when we lost to YSU, I thought that said something about the Valley. We had NDSU and UNI as the flagbearers. ISU-R and YSU as the dangerous up and coming teams.

What do we have now? ISU-R getting shut out at home by SIU and losing to Misery State. YSU losing bad to NDSU, blowing a huge lead to ISU-R and losing again this week. SDSU losing to a team who is 0-3 in the conference badly(I dont care how 'good' UNI is). As much as I'd love to pimp the Valley out, I just don't know if I see anything other than a bunch of 'interesting' teams rather than a bunch of 'good' teams. That said, I think NDSU is good. Had a rough one against ISU-B, we'll see in the next few weeks how much of a letdown that was or how good we actually are.

This was a bunch of gibberish. I will probably get called stupid for the inability for me to put my (what sounds good in my head) thoughts into words.

Honeybooboo
10-22-2012, 03:00 AM
Not saying I disagree that we match up good with the Sky, but after seeing YSU scores the past couple weeks coupled with ISU-R's recent performances, I think the Valley has several solid teams, not a bunch of good ones though like Valley fans seem to think. Heck, SDSU got spanked at UNI...Indiana State got spanked at home by SDSU. Last season when we lost to YSU, I thought that said something about the Valley. We had NDSU and UNI as the flagbearers. ISU-R and YSU as the dangerous up and coming teams.

What do we have now? ISU-R getting shut out at home by SIU and losing to Misery State. YSU losing bad to NDSU, blowing a huge lead to ISU-R and losing again this week. SDSU losing to a team who is 0-3 in the conference badly(I dont care how 'good' UNI is). As much as I'd love to pimp the Valley out, I just don't know if I see anything other than a bunch of 'interesting' teams rather than a bunch of 'good' teams. That said, I think NDSU is good. Had a rough one against ISU-B, we'll see in the next few weeks how much of a letdown that was or how good we actually are.

This was a bunch of gibberish. I will probably get called stupid for the inability for me to put my (what sounds good in my head) thoughts into words.

I'm not sure what your saying, the MVFC has parody right now and virtually any team can beat each other week in an week makes the conference weaker than the BSC who has 3 stand out teams which generally point to a weaker lower 2/3rds

I don't understand

HooliganBison
10-22-2012, 03:03 AM

At this point the valley gets 2 in and that's all they deserve, it will be NDSU and someone. It's disappointing that the top teams of the valley can't distance themselves from the bottom of the conference. Ideally we should get 3 or 4 in but at this point no chance in hell. Still alot of football to be played and maybe the conference will gets it's crap together.

Tatanka
10-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I'm not sure what your saying, the MVFC has parody right now and virtually any team can beat each other week in an week makes the conference weaker than the BSC who has 3 stand out teams which generally point to a weaker lower 2/3rds

I don't understand
I would have also accepted "parity", otherwise I think you meant the big fluffy is generally a parody of a good conference.

At this point the valley gets 2 in and that's all they deserve, it will be NDSU and someone. It's disappointing that the top teams of the valley can't distance themselves from the bottom of the conference. Ideally we should get 3 or 4 in but at this point no chance in hell. Still alot of football to be played and maybe the conference will gets it's crap together.I think the 3 and 4 teams to come out of the valley would make some pretty decent noise in the playoffs. Off getting more teams in requires the valley to get in some creampuffs so the top teams can pad their records count me out.

westnodak93bison
10-22-2012, 03:06 AM
Big Sky is glorified Arena Football. No defense what so ever. I watched part of the Whioux vs. Griz. Good got that was horrible defense.

Honeybooboo
10-22-2012, 03:13 AM
I would have also accepted "parity", otherwise I think you meant the big fluffy is generally a parody of a good conference.
I think the 3 and 4 teams to come out of the valley would make some pretty decent noise in the playoffs. Off getting more teams in requires the valley to get in some creampuffs so the top teams can pad their records count me out.

God bless auto-correct and piss poor proof reading

344Johnson
10-22-2012, 03:54 AM
At this point the valley gets 2 in and that's all they deserve, it will be NDSU and someone. It's disappointing that the top teams of the valley can't distance themselves from the bottom of the conference. Ideally we should get 3 or 4 in but at this point no chance in hell. Still alot of football to be played and maybe the conference will gets it's crap together.

This is probably the best way of putting it. The way some folks seem to make it sound, the Valley deserves "CAA" type recognition as far as playoff teams. I just don't know if I see it right now. We thought YSU and ISU-R were going to rock this year....YSU barely hung on against Albany(dk how good they are) and ISU-R had trouble with EIU and has lost some weird games. I don't think that says anything about our conferences depth, I think it says something about lack of quality.

BlueBisonRock
10-22-2012, 04:33 AM
I think the 3 and 4 teams to come out of the valley would make some pretty decent noise in the playoffs. Off getting more teams in requires the valley to get in some creampuffs so the top teams can pad their records count me out.

So you are changing your position and encouraging the NoNames of the North get an invite to the MVFC?

runtheoption
10-22-2012, 01:41 PM

I don't understand

Holy hell, I do not understand any of this. Mind blown.

Rynomite
10-22-2012, 02:08 PM

It's been great to watch our defense this year. Definitely the heart of our wins this year. They work hard every game and move on to the next game. Olson has a way to jump into those holes that he sees. And let's not forget that we have given up a number of points when our backups are getting some experience. I hope the injuries stabilize, but it's nice to know we have some backups who are ready to jump into the action with some experience.

BisonNation11
10-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Ever since they moved Esley to LB, I've focused on him every time he is in the game. When he saw his first action, he would get caught up in blocks on the backside and wasn't really sure how to attack the ball. Watching him this Saturday was a blast! He explodes to the ball with conviction and assurance of his decisions. He definitely has a nose for the ball and knows how to take the runner down. It's fun to see guys like him and Colvin transform throughout the season.

ndsubison1
10-22-2012, 08:23 PM
ndsu defense leads all d-i schools (fbs-fcs) in yards/game

1. Ndsu 185.71 ypg
2. Alabama 195.57 ypg (fbs leader)
3. Florida state 226.50 ypg
4. Lsu 243.38 ypg
5. Georgia southern 274.71 ypg (fcs 2nd)

bison d also second in points/game among all d-i schools (fbs-fcs)

1. Alabama 8.3 ppg
2. Ndsu 8.4 ppg
3. Notre dame 9.4 ppg
4. Rutgers 11.4 ppg
5. Florida 12.1 ppg
6. Indiana state 12.4 ppg (fcs 2nd)

and theyre all back next season except for martin and ollman.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM

1. NDSU 185.71 ypg
4. LSU 243.38 ypg

1. Alabama 8.3 ppg
2. NDSU 8.4 ppg
3. Notre Dame 9.4 ppg
4. Rutgers 11.4 ppg
5. Florida 12.1 ppg

But, but, where are all the BSC teams?!?!?:(

HooliganBison
10-22-2012, 08:49 PM
But, but, where are all the BSC teams?!?!?:(

Who cares? Last time I checked we dont play in that conference. I dont get people's obsession with that conference. When the bracket comes out and we are matched up against a team from there then its time to care. Its nauseating how much people on this board care about the bsc and und when we dont play either one.

T-Funk
10-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Who cares? Last time I checked we dont play in that conference. I dont get people's obsession with that conference. When the bracket comes out and we are matched up against a team from there then its time to care. Its nauseating how much people on this board care about the bsc and und when we dont play either one.

^^^ Agree.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 09:02 PM

^^^ Agree.

I tend to dovetail several different thoughts/concepts into one post. In this case, there has been this thread and one (at least) where a UN_ fan has been bragging about their prolific offense. Hence my post, as in brag or say what you want about your offensive numbers, but look who you are or are not putting them up against. If you just read this thread or just think of this thread in isolation, I can see why you react/post the way you did.

reformedUNDfan
10-22-2012, 09:04 PM

the big fluffy being so fluffy is going to keep at least one mvfc team out of the playoffs. So yes we should care.

HooliganBison
10-22-2012, 09:21 PM
the big fluffy being so fluffy is going to keep at least one mvfc team out of the playoffs. So yes we should care.

Once again how does that affect ndsu? Did only getting 2 teams in last year somehow hinder us from winning the NC? Taking your logic of them being weak, wouldnt you want more bsc and less mvfc to contend with in the playoffs? If teams in the mvfc cant take care of their shit its not our problem.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Once again how does that affect ndsu? Did only getting 2 teams in last year somehow hinder us from winning the NC? Taking your logic of them being weak, wouldnt you want more bsc and less mvfc to contend with in the playoffs? If teams in the mvfc cant take care of their shit its not our problem.

In the long run, the more MVFC teams that make the PO's the better for the conference and last time I checked we play in the MVFC.

ndsubison1
10-22-2012, 09:41 PM

yeah the big sky is a pretty good conference this season. bison fans just dont want to admit it and und being in it clouds our objectivity

DjKyRo
10-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Some of us want the conference we're in to be successful as that helps NDSU incrementally and could be a big deal in a year where we're on the bubble. Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean you need to trash those who do. Same goes for football west of the Mississippi strictly for street cred, hence the BSC talk. Chill, dude, and behoove we fans of the FCS the opportunity to chat about football at NDSUs level.

reformedUNDfan
10-23-2012, 07:47 AM

it will affect our seeding. as many as 3 fluffy teams could end up at 10-1

td577
10-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Some of us want the conference we're in to be successful as that helps NDSU incrementally and could be a big deal in a year where we're on the bubble. Just because you don't feel the same way doesn't mean you need to trash those who do. Same goes for football west of the Mississippi strictly for street cred, hence the BSC talk. Chill, dude, and behoove we fans of the FCS the opportunity to chat about football at NDSUs level.

I think if Ndsu were on the bubble, they have a good shot at getting in. This is regardless of what conference they are playing in. They bid high for home games, they travel well, and are starting to get a lot of good rep.

I know there are people who would like to see more mvfc teams in the playoffs because of the show of conference strength. I think the road to a championship is hard enough without throwing more mvfc teams in front of you.

Bison"FANatic"
10-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Just getting in helps the conference a little but we need some of the teams that get in to win a game or two. One and done just makes our conference look average.

BisonNeil
10-23-2012, 03:44 PM
Ever since they moved Esley to LB, I've focused on him every time he is in the game. When he saw his first action, he would get caught up in blocks on the backside and wasn't really sure how to attack the ball. Watching him this Saturday was a blast! He explodes to the ball with conviction and assurance of his decisions. He definitely has a nose for the ball and knows how to take the runner down. It's fun to see guys like him and Colvin transform throughout the season.

I am really glad to hear that. Did Rodgers and Dinwiddie see time also? (I was on the East coast and did not see the game) If so, how did they look?

I ask because if the Bison have the injury bug hit the LBs like it has hit the DBs, the D would not be as pretty. As good as this defense is I definitely think Kolpack is right, Olson is a CAL player.

Kermit
10-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I am really glad to hear that. Did Rodgers and Dinwiddie see time also? (I was on the East coast and did not see the game) If so, how did they look?

I ask because if the Bison have the injury bug hit the LBs like it has hit the DBs, it would be as pretty. As good as this defense is I definitely think Kolpack is right, Olson is a CAL player.

The #2 defense (with Dinwiddie/Rodgers/Thorton at LB) got a series against Yotes' #1 offense. Stuffed them twice followed by a Colvin pick 6. I think that group appears to have improved considerably. There is still a gap between the starters and backups at linebacker, but much of it is because of the excellence of the starters. Beck/Olson/Littlehohn are playing at a very, very high level. Joe Glenn called Olson the best defensive player in the MVFC.

We also saw the entire #3 set of linebackers for a series (Sonnenfeld/Scoliere/Lavoy) against the Yotes' backups and they did just fine.

BisonNeil
10-23-2012, 03:54 PM
The #2 defense (with Dinwiddie/Rodgers/Thorton at LB) got a series against Yotes' #1 offense. Stuffed them twice followed by a Colvin pick 6. I think that group appears to have improved considerably. There is still a gap between the starters and backups at linebacker, but much of it is because of the excellence of the starters. Beck/Olson/Littlehohn are playing at a very, very high level. Joe Glenn called Olson the best defensive player in the MVFC.

We also saw the entire #3 set of linebackers for a series (Sonnenfeld/Scoliere/Lavoy) against the Yotes' backups and they did just fine.

Thanks for the update Kerm. Glad to hear it!

HandoEX
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM
Here's what our opponents have gained in yardage vs NDSU and vs the rest of their schedule...

RMU: 88/324
CSU: 243/340
PVA&M: 210/404
UNI: 285/397
YSU: 211/365
ISUb: 195/329
USD: 76/324

Every team the Bison have faced have had their lowest offensive output of the season against NDSU (186 yards avg against NDSU and 355 yards avg against the rest of their schedules). The teams NDSU has played have also faced 6 BCS and 11 FBS defenses, with NDSU's squad still holding them to their lowest yardage output. Not bad I guess :)

CAS4127
10-23-2012, 08:37 PM
Here's what our opponents have gained in yardage vs NDSU and vs the rest of their schedule...

Every team the Bison have faced have had their lowest offensive output of the season against NDSU (186 yards avg against NDSU and 355 yards avg against the rest of their schedules). The teams NDSU has played have also faced 6 BCS and 11 FBS defenses, with NDSU's squad still holding them to their lowest yardage output. Not bad I guess :)

Pretty damn impressive is what that is!!

westnodak93bison
10-23-2012, 10:00 PM
Pretty damn impressive is what that is!!

yeah but after looking at all the game film their is certainly room for improvement (I think I heard Coach Bohl say that a time or two) :)

BisonNation11
10-23-2012, 10:16 PM
yeah but after looking at all the game film their is certainly room for improvement (I think I heard Coach Bohl say that a time or two) :)

I believe your hearing is up to par and it's quite the luxury to have to really focus looking at game film to find room for improvements. I know there's always room to improve, I'm just glad we have the luxury of having a team where the improvements aren't glaring and obvious. Credit the coaches and players for their extreme preparation and work ethics.

CAS4127
10-23-2012, 10:35 PM
This defense reminds me of our '86 defense. Certain players make mistakes on a given play, but the other players are good enough to make up for those mistakes, and all of them are hungry to get in or make the tackle and, in a way, enjoy a mistake that allows them to do so!! Certain plays are supposed to be made by specific players. If they eff up, that allows someone else to make the tackle, and these guys thrive on that chance!! Fun as hell to watch.

BisonNeil
10-25-2012, 05:50 PM
This defense reminds me of our '86 defense. Certain players make mistakes on a given play, but the other players are good enough to make up for those mistakes, and all of them are hungry to get in or make the tackle and, in a way, enjoy a mistake that allows them to do so!! Certain plays are supposed to be made by specific players. If they eff up, that allows someone else to make the tackle, and these guys thrive on that chance!! Fun as hell to watch.

Now that, was a defense!

Just talked about that team this AM. I was out east last weekend but my colleague went to the USD game and commented that he remembers when the Yotes were good. My response was they were the only team that gave NDSU a run for their money that year, and that was in the NC game. There is something really beautiful about an entire fall of football when your favorite team piss pounds every other team every single weekend on their way to the Natty.

But 2011 was pretty good too :D

bisonboone11
10-25-2012, 06:16 PM
Defensive stats and rank in the FCS

Opponents' 3rd down conversion - 1st (22.78%)
Opponents' 4th down conversion - t-2nd (16.67%)
1st downs allowed per game - 1st (10.29)
Passing defense - 1st (122.43 ypg)
Rushing defense - 2nd (63.29 ypg)
Total defense - 1st (185.71 ypg)
Scoring defense - 1st (8.43 ppg)
Time of Possession - 1st according to ncaa.com, but didn't give the stats.
Only allowed 7 drives into the red zone this year.

TAILG8R
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Defensive stats and rank in the FCS

Opponents' 3rd down conversion - 1st (22.78%)
Opponents' 4th down conversion - t-2nd (16.67%)
1st downs allowed per game - 1st (10.29)
Passing defense - 1st (122.43 ypg)
Rushing defense - 2nd (63.29 ypg)
Total defense - 1st (185.71 ypg)
Scoring defense - 1st (8.43 ppg)
Time of Possession - 1st according to ncaa.com, but didn't give the stats.
Only allowed 7 drives into the red zone this year.

According to the stats on gobison.com the time of possession for our opponents is 25:00 per game.

TateMosersneighbor
10-26-2012, 12:43 PM

That goes to show you how good our coaching has been on the defensive side of the ball in terms of scouting the opposition. The staff has done a great job the last couple of years shutting folks down. The players of course have tackled well, been disciplined and have bought in. My opinion is that our defense in the past wasn't as disciplined as this one (and last years) is. Guys might have tried to do too much and we'd get burnt. I think the guys have realized that if they do their job and not worry so much about what so and so has to do, we win. What we might have blamed as a "poor tackle" might have been a guy out of position...they just have not been out of position much the last 2 years.

runtheoption
10-26-2012, 02:15 PM
That goes to show you how good our coaching has been on the defensive side of the ball in terms of scouting the opposition. The staff has done a great job the last couple of years shutting folks down. The players of course have tackled well, been disciplined and have bought in. My opinion is that our defense in the past wasn't as disciplined as this one (and last years) is. Guys might have tried to do too much and we'd get burnt. I think the guys have realized that if they do their job and not worry so much about what so and so has to do, we win. What we might have blamed as a "poor tackle" might have been a guy out of position...they just have not been out of position much the last 2 years.

Speaking of positions, how's your wife?

totoinfl
10-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I have an acquaintance who is a long time Georgia Southern guy. Prior to the game last year, he was a bit questioning about the Bison D. After the game he was a believer, he couldn't belief the speed. I have only seen two games this year, but if anything the D looks quicker, it may be from a year of seasoning for those underclass who played a lot last year. GSU wants no part of the Bison D until they have to and they are playing pretty well this year...so seeing them is the playoffs is a possibility. The goal of GSU guy is to be seeded so they don't see NDSU until Frisco...

It's been great to watch our defense this year. Definitely the heart of our wins this year. They work hard every game and move on to the next game. Olson has a way to jump into those holes that he sees. And let's not forget that we have given up a number of points when our backups are getting some experience. I hope the injuries stabilize, but it's nice to know we have some backups who are ready to jump into the action with some experience.

MarkyMark
10-26-2012, 07:58 PM
I have an acquaintance who is a long time Georgia Southern guy. Prior to the game last year, he was a bit questioning about the Bison D. After the game he was a believer, he couldn't belief the speed. I have only seen two games this year, but if anything the D looks quicker, it may be from a year of seasoning for those underclass who played a lot last year. GSU wants no part of the Bison D until they have to and they are playing pretty well this year...so seeing them is the playoffs is a possibility. The goal of GSU guy is to be seeded so they don't see NDSU until Frisco...

GSU will not be a top 1 or 2 seed.

Maybe if GSU stopped scheduling top 10 FBS teams for their last game of the season they might hold on to that #2 spot they hold right now. GSU will likely lose to Georgia at the end of the season and once again get knocked down a few spots in the polls even though they are playing top FBS talent.

HooliganBison
10-26-2012, 08:09 PM

Maybe if GSU stopped scheduling top 10 FBS teams for their last game of the season they might hold on to that #2 spot they hold right now. GSU will likely lose to Georgia at the end of the season and once again get knocked down a few spots in the polls even though they are playing top FBS talent.

I believe there whole conference plays an SEC team the last week of the season.

ndsubison1
10-26-2012, 08:59 PM

committee says they dont take into consideration fbs losses. so it helps a team scheduling fbs more so than hurting. i think their D2 win vs tusculum was the main reason they were the 3 seed and we were 2

MarkyMark
10-26-2012, 09:09 PM
committee says they dont take into consideration fbs losses. so it helps a team scheduling fbs more so than hurting. i think their D2 win vs tusculum was the main reason they were the 3 seed and we were 2

I seem to remember GSU falling in the polls last year even though they lost to Alabama. The FBS loss may not hurt them but they do end up with one less Div. 1 win compared to other top teams like the Bison.

I think its a real bad idea to schedule a non-conference FBS team at the end of the season. Sam Houston has the same situation this year and they will also drop a few spots when they lose that last game.

HandoEX
10-26-2012, 09:23 PM
I seem to remember GSU falling in the polls last year even though they lost to Alabama. The FBS loss may not hurt them but they do end up with one less Div. 1 win compared to other top teams like the Bison.

I think its a real bad idea to schedule a non-conference FBS team at the end of the season. Sam Houston has the same situation this year and they will also drop a few spots when they lose that last game.
The polls and the playoff seeds are two different things, though. All teams drop in the polls when they lose. Like ming said, they had two less DI wins than NDSU, that's why they didn't get the two seed.

reformedUNDfan
10-27-2012, 03:56 AM
The polls and the playoff seeds are two different things, though. All teams drop in the polls when they lose. Like ming said, they had two less DI wins than NDSU, that's why they didn't get the two seed.

if both teams win out, and GSU only loses to Georgia, NDSU ought to get the superior seed. Defending champs, 1 more win, didn't lose to an unranked team etc.

GSUsTALON
10-27-2012, 05:42 PM
totoinfl a NDSU & NAVY fan PM’d these states on the GoMids board. I see another hard core performance by the NDSU “D” in 2012! Congrats from this GSU fan on your Defensive preformance this year!

Talon
Check this out...
1. NDSU 185.71 ypg
4. LSU 243.38 ypg
I like it...this could a preview of Frisco if both teams keep playing D like that.

GSUsTALON
10-27-2012, 05:59 PM

I agee with you MarkyMark but we have UGA this year, Florida, LSU & G-Tech in the next few years. It seems the SEC like to invite GSU as an FCS regular. We need the paycheck and uor fans always seem to think we have a chance but the odds are against us. ( I'd rather play teams like Vandy)While Coach Monken has done a nice job in the last three years of rebuilding the team after 4 years of being away from the spread option we are not even close to the teams that took the feild durring the Paul Jonson era. I think we will need another 2 years of rebuilding to really make a statment in FCS again.

As far as meeting NDSU I'd rather see you in the NC. It gives our offense more time to improve with reps in those extra games. What ever the case when anf if GSU meets you it should be a good game for FCS fan to watch.

GSUsTALON
10-27-2012, 06:07 PM

Falling in the polls may or may not happen. If GaSo finishes the season strong against Chattanooga, App St & Howard, wins the SoCon and has a fair showing against UGA we may not drop and if so no more than one spot. Who knows by the end of the season both NDSU and GSU may be ranked 1 & 2 in no particular order.

PARTY ON BISON
GSUsTALON
www.gsufans.com

b15on
10-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Announced at the game that not one person but the entire BISON DEFENSE was the player of the game.

Rushing Yards 11
Passing Yards 166
Total Yards 177
(Majority of that on SIU's first drive)

Bison bison
10-27-2012, 11:37 PM
First Drive

18 yards rushing

65 yards passing

5:34 possession time.

the rest of the game

-7 rushing

101 passing

14:28 TOP

BisonNation11
10-27-2012, 11:58 PM
This defense amazes me week in and week out. I know they are great, but even with the refs stacked against us, they performed above standards no one could have ever imagined! They get stronger as the game goes on when it matters the most! Love me some Bobby Ollman today! And M Will may not ever be a 2nd round draft pick, but damnit I'm going to cheer for him like he will be! This is some outstanding D that we need to cherish and never take for granted! It's a great day to be a Bison!

HoopsBison
10-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Amazing effort by the defense yet again.

Lets also not forget only losing one starter this year. This defense is lights out this year, my oh my what next year will be like.

b15on
10-28-2012, 03:07 PM
NDSU Defense still leads all D-I schools (FBS-FCS) in yards/game

1. NDSU 185.9 ypg
2. Alabama 203.1 ypg (FBS leader)
3. Notre Dame 293.0 ypg
4. Florida State 227.1 ypg
5. Florida 280.9 ypg
6. Indiana State 283.9 (FCS 2nd)

Bison D also still second in points/game among all D-I schools (FBS-FCS)

1. Alabama 8.1 ppg
2. NDSU 9.5 ppg
3. Notre Dame 9.9 ppg
4. Florida State 12.0 ppg
5. Indiana State 12.6 ppg (FCS 2nd)

BisonNeil
10-28-2012, 04:19 PM
Amazing effort by the defense yet again.

Lets also not forget only losing one starter this year. This defense is lights out this year, my oh my what next year will be like.

Technically two starters. Heagle lost, then his replacement for the next four games, Shephard also lost.

I saw Juckem in street clothes at the game. Is he done for the season?

Gully
10-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Technically two starters. Heagle lost, then his replacement for the next four games, Shephard also lost.

He might have meant we'll only lose one starter going into next year....so we can be even better!

Bisonguy
10-28-2012, 04:37 PM

Other than the YSU game, Juckem hasn't seen the field since the Prairie View game. I'm far from 100% on this, but I thought I heard or read somewhere that he was having back issues and was probably done with football.

totoinfl
10-28-2012, 11:34 PM
If they win out with the exception of UGA...it will be between them and ODU. In the meantime, we need to figure out how to put away the teams we need to put away. Until they wore them down, the O was predictable and stagnant. Without a great game by the D this could very well have not went the way we wanted to.

ndsubison1
10-29-2012, 04:26 AM

polls arent an indication of the seeds, but yes, our fbs win helped boost us