PDA

View Full Version : Some game analysis needed

AjaxTheMighty
10-21-2012, 02:49 AM
I didn't get to see the game, only listen. Could someone give me a breakdown from tonight's game? Also, any injury updates?

NDSUBowler
10-21-2012, 02:58 AM
I wish Crockett ran more. I thought Ojuri did too much dancing in the backfield. Was pretty disappointed with Ojuri...

That and our false start issues (5??) were the only real negatives for me in this impressive stomping.

Bison bison
10-21-2012, 03:00 AM
i didn't see it as a stomping but a dead-on lethal kick to the yotes.

those pups are now broken.

can't help but think that Glenn is pissed to high heaven, planning his revenge - which he'll never be able to realize.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2012, 03:05 AM
Biggest criticisms:

1. Only 6 port a johns in the tialgating lot.
2. Only one place to buy pop.
3. Not enough bison fans to fill the USD side.
4. USD thinking it was a home game? Excuse me?

KTF
10-21-2012, 03:06 AM
5 fasle starts were mostly on Zach Johnson true freshhmen (right guard I think). Inexperience/imaturity maybe but very correctable. I think the biggest question in my mind is oline yet. Too many sacks tonight however it was more when Brock was scrambling so maybe the oline isn't the true problem. Just need a bunch of guys to heal up really missing Bruhn...

BisonEngrGirl
10-21-2012, 03:08 AM
I thought the offensive line could have been a little better. They got some sacks and stopped the run with pretty good effectiveness. The line got better in the second half, maybe partially due to a tired defense.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Tapatalk 2

Snowgoose
10-21-2012, 03:30 AM
I watched on tv the second half, but Ojuri does not look good. We need a change There as he is dancing and not hitting the holes with any authoritythis year. I am sorry but some on this board think he is an NFL candidate, but he is far from it.

Sioux27
10-21-2012, 03:37 AM
I didn't get to see the game, only listen. Could someone give me a breakdown from tonight's game? Also, any injury updates?

NDSU scored 54 points.............gave up zero. Seems like ALOT of WR, LB etc were injured and did not play so some 2nd and 3rd stringers needed to step up. Seems like a bye week to me. Then again, I'm a Sioux fan (or whatever BVille calls it) and we needed to set record performances to beat a rape/felony driven team by 7! In the whole scheme of things.........I wouldn't worry about any meaningful analysis about playing USD.

1998braves64
10-21-2012, 03:38 AM
I watched on tv the second half, but Ojuri does not look good. We need a change There as he is dancing and not hitting the holes with any authoritythis year. I am sorry but some on this board think he is an NFL candidate, but he is far from it.

Wasn't this same issue last year with Mcnorton? That turned out ok I guess.

AjaxTheMighty
10-21-2012, 03:39 AM

Agree! I think Sam's best days are behind him. He plays like he's injured it seems like. He hasn't busted any runs off this year that are memorable. He dances...DJ danced, then smashed you in the face! It's now time for the rise of Crockett!

HoopsBison
10-21-2012, 03:44 AM
extra points were a bit sloppy tonight, with one being blocked and then another miss. Luckily we didnt need those two points but in a closer game that could have costed us dearly.

GRAFTONBISON
10-21-2012, 04:25 AM
1. Nice to see our other receivers step up tonight, other than 2 drops that I recall. Nice game for Trevor and Moody.
2. False start penalties on TE, RB, & OL were irritating.
3. Extra points became a fiasco for various reasons.
4. I am submitting Ojuri's name for the next season of Dancing With The Stars

Hard to feel too negative about a 54-0 win but that is where we are as a program. HUGE game next weekend and I will have to miss it. Damnit anyways!!

AjaxTheMighty
10-21-2012, 04:50 AM
NDSU scored 54 points.............gave up zero. Seems like ALOT of WR, LB etc were injured and did not play so some 2nd and 3rd stringers needed to step up. Seems like a bye week to me. Then again, I'm a Sioux fan (or whatever BVille calls it) and we needed to set record performances to beat a rape/felony driven team by 7! In the whole scheme of things.........I wouldn't worry about any meaningful analysis about playing USD.

If I wanted something meaningful, I'd watch Joel Osteen.

BisoninNWMN
10-21-2012, 12:18 PM
1. Nice to see our other receivers step up tonight, other than 2 drops that I recall. Nice game for Trevor and Moody.
2. False start penalties on TE, RB, & OL were irritating.
3. Extra points became a fiasco for various reasons.
4. I am submitting Ojuri's name for the next season of Dancing With The Stars

Hard to feel too negative about a 54-0 win but that is where we are as a program. HUGE game next weekend and I will have to miss it. Damnit anyways!!

This here.

Seems like Lang is the only one that really hits the hole hard between the tackles. Probably just nit-picking on my part.

gizmo
10-21-2012, 12:45 PM
54-0. A true ass kicking in every aspect. I'm not even going to nitpick!

bisonrock
10-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Zach Johnson was in for Josh Colville (left guard). Colville was out with a concussion. Hope he is better for next game. We need him!
5 fasle starts were mostly on Zach Johnson true freshhmen (right guard I think). Inexperience/imaturity maybe but very correctable. I think the biggest question in my mind is oline yet. Too many sacks tonight however it was more when Brock was scrambling so maybe the oline isn't the true problem. Just need a bunch of guys to heal up really missing Bruhn...

1bizon1
10-21-2012, 01:09 PM
[QUOTE=BisonBohl;668521]extra points were a bit sloppy tonight, with one being blocked and then another miss. Luckily we didnt need those two points but in a closer game that could have costed us dearly.[/QUOT

^^THIS^^ Unacceptable at this level. Luckily these 2 pts were not needed in this game. The PAT on the second TD wasn't very pretty either. In another game this could have been a "deal breaker"

WFBisonFan
10-21-2012, 02:09 PM
If I wanted something meaningful, I'd watch Joel Osteen.

I prefer Benny Hinn.

HandoEX
10-21-2012, 02:12 PM
Didn't Ojuri gain more yards with a higher average than Crockett last night (plus #22 had two TDs and #23 had none)? Only the second time that has happened this season. Ojuri has always danced. He will probably always dance. He makes it work, though.

Bisonguy
10-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Didn't Ojuri gain more yards with a higher average than Crockett last night (plus #22 had two TDs and #23 had none)? Only the second time that has happened this season. Ojuri has always danced. He will probably always dance. He makes it work, though.

Chea, Gordon, Perkins, Malone, Paschall, and McNorton were all running backs that supposedly always danced according to the elite coaching minds on Bisonville as well. There's a reason why Bohl doesn't look to Bisonville to hire his coaching staff.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2012, 03:00 PM
By the way, anyone watch the pre and post game video blogs? I love Peterson on those blogs.

BadlandsBison
10-21-2012, 03:38 PM
I hate Sioux falls. It killed the majority of my brain cells.

THEsocalledfan
10-21-2012, 04:05 PM
I hate Sioux falls. It killed the majority of my brain cells.

Well, then we just improved your IQ. Best Clavin quote ever:

Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/99/Cliff_Clavin_in_Cheers.jpg/220px-Cliff_Clavin_in_Cheers.jpg

NDSUBowler
10-21-2012, 04:25 PM
7 for 48 in first qtr and 12 for 26 rest of game, I believe.

Most of this is clearly eyeball observations, but there were a few runs where it didn't even seem like Sam danced in the backfield...it looked like he just STOPEPD and gave up and got ran down.

Obviously, I am no coach and am not being paid to make the big decisions. I AM allowed to vent frustrations and make observations though and see if other fans thoughts fall in line with mine.

(Also, just a big Crockett fan in general!)

344Johnson
10-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I am wondering why we didn't see the second team offense sooner. And why Dinwiddie isn't getting more carries? We are absolutely embarassing a team and Crockett and Ojuri are still the ones getting carries? I don't understand. Same attitude about the defense...when we are up by 40 in the second half, let's get some guys who could use the reps in (Thorton, etc.).

NorthernBison
10-21-2012, 05:53 PM
Comparing Crockett at way less than 100% and Ojuri at 100%? Sounds reasonable.

westnodak93bison
10-21-2012, 08:25 PM
I like both backs. Ojuri doesnt seem to be himself. I wonder if he is dinged up?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

NorthernBison
10-21-2012, 08:44 PM
I like both backs. Ojuri doesnt seem to be himself. I wonder if he is dinged up?

Yeah. Something isn't right.

bajadanny
10-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Ya how abourt some smash mouth football, we have very good players at fullback, never get a carry.
If we want to get back to Frisco we had better start right now running with aurthority, to much passing.

I agree with the guy that asked where Dinwiddie was earlier??? he ran like he wanted to play more

Up 40-0 and Grant Olson still in the game????? wtf is that.

A good win but lots of things to work on

bisonmike2
10-22-2012, 12:07 AM
The Sheraton underestimated the Bison faithful. The 2 bartenders were way overmatched.

BisonNation11
10-22-2012, 01:20 AM
****DINWIDDIE FOR PRESIDENT**** Seriously, the guy can run the ball! Feed him the rock!

westnodak93bison
10-22-2012, 01:21 AM
Ya how abourt some smash mouth football, we have very good players at fullback, never get a carry.
If we want to get back to Frisco we had better start right now running with aurthority, to much passing.

I agree with the guy that asked where Dinwiddie was earlier??? he ran like he wanted to play more

Up 40-0 and Grant Olson still in the game????? wtf is that.

A good win but lots of things to work on

I agree with the Grant Olson comment. We need to play our 2nds/3rds more if we are way up. Then again maybe keeping the margin of victory high can help keep our playoff seeding higher thus possibly holding home field?

perthbison
10-22-2012, 01:46 AM
keeping the margin of victory high

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2Apparently, this sort of thing really pissed Glenn off after the game.:biggrin:

KSBisonFan
10-22-2012, 01:57 AM
Agree! I think Sam's best days are behind him. He plays like he's injured it seems like. He hasn't busted any runs off this year that are memorable. He dances...DJ danced, then smashed you in the face! It's now time for the rise of Crockett!

Sam just needs to run like he drives......with reckless abandon!

Also, on the kicker front, Keller got the first couple kickoffs through the endzone. After that, he wasn't able to get the kicks deep and we had an issue with an extra point. The backup kicker was warming up on the sideline several times during the game.

Bohl wasn't happy with a couple mistakes in the first half. 1. Lecompte punting the ball into the endzone when we were in SD territory. 2. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Dudzik's long punt return. Add this to a some sloppiness on the XP attempts and he'll have some things to clean up on special teams.

Dinwiddie looked good running the ball late but I'd venture to guess he's still learning the system and may be a liability picking up pass protection????? Otherwise, I'd think we'd see him more.

I also like the fact that when Wentz gets in the game, the coaches run our regular offense. They let him throw the ball as opposed to just handing the ball off.

westnodak93bison
10-22-2012, 02:05 AM
Seriously, if margin of victory is s seedong criteria then how can an opposing team complain?

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 02:10 AM

Also, on the kicker front, Keller got the first couple kickoffs through the endzone. After that, he wasn't able to get the kicks deep and we had an issue with an extra point. The backup kicker was warming up on the sideline several times during the game.

Bohl wasn't happy with a couple mistakes in the first half. 1. Lecompte punting the ball into the endzone when we were in SD territory. 2. The unsportsmanlike conduct penalty on Dudzik's long punt return. Add this to a some sloppiness on the XP attempts and he'll have some things to clean up on special teams.

Dinwiddie looked good running the ball late but I'd venture to guess he's still learning the system and may be a liability picking up pass protection????? Otherwise, I'd think we'd see him more.

I also like the fact that when Wentz gets in the game, the coaches run our regular offense. They let him throw the ball as opposed to just handing the ball off.

Wasn't LeCompte doing the knockoffs?!

WFBisonFan
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM

So what DID happen on the unsportsmanlike conduct call during the punt?????

tjbison
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM

Yuuuuuuuppp

KSBisonFan
10-22-2012, 02:16 AM

Yup, you're right. Typed the wrong name there....there was a big dropoff in the length of his kickoffs as the game went on. Guess his leg got tired? :biggrin:.

KSBisonFan
10-22-2012, 02:18 AM
So what DID happen on the unsportsmanlike conduct call during the punt?????

I didn't see the penalty but Bonnett got an major earfull on the sideline

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 02:25 AM
Gebhart was a star in this game. He had a coming-home party...big-time.

Jensen/Gebhart has proven to be a strong combination. It's a damn good thing.

344Johnson
10-22-2012, 02:29 AM
Gebhart was a star in this game. He had a coming-home party...big-time.

Jensen/Gebhart has proven to be a strong combination. It's a damn good thing.

Him and Jensen are similar to Smith/Jensen last year. I am always surprised when there is a nice 3rd down connection, yet it happens enough that I really shouldn't be surprised at all.

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 02:32 AM
Him and Jensen are similar to Smith/Jensen last year. I am always surprised when there is a nice 3rd down connection, yet it happens enough that I really shouldn't be surprised at all.

Yeah...it's mostly about possession, and it works really well. Same here...surprised, but shouldn't be.

Those 3rd and 12 situations have turned out well many times. I love listening to the away announcers when it happens 2 or 3 times in a row.

NorthernBison
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
The only thing that mildly surprised me about the game Saturday night was the "0" in the 54-0 score. I expected USD to score some points in garbage time. I think it's a game we would still have won handily with our #2's playing the entire game.

BisonNation11
10-22-2012, 04:08 PM
What really surprised me about the game was USD's constant running of the ball. I expected to see them start tossing the rock more after their first drive because they were mildly successful doing so and then again in sheer desperation due to the score. Not once did they take a shot down-field and I can't remember them attempting a pass any further then 15-20 yards. Not sure if that's how they always play but one would think you have to take a shot at some point.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 04:13 PM
What really surprised me about the game was USD's constant running of the ball. I expected to see them start tossing the rock more after their first drive because they were mildly successful doing so and then again in sheer desperation due to the score. Not once did they take a shot down-field and I can't remember them attempting a pass any further then 15-20 yards. Not sure if that's how they always play but one would think you have to take a shot at some point.

I don't think they had or felt they would have enough time to let deep patterns develop, but then again, I "don't know a effing thing about football" according to my "friend" who confronted me at the stadium over some of my criticisms of Vigen.

HoopsBison
10-22-2012, 05:29 PM
I thought Moody played a great game as well. Hes really been a blessing and gotta love his effort.

Grant Olson is unreal, we are very lucky to him.

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 05:33 PM
I thought Moody played a great game as well. Hes really been a blessing and gotta love his effort.

Grant Olson is unreal, we are very lucky to him.

Totally correct on Moody's contribution too.

Snowgoose
10-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I don't think they had or felt they would have enough time to let deep patterns develop, but then again, I "don't know a effing thing about football" according to my "friend" who confronted me at the stadium over some of my criticisms of Vigen.

At least we don't have Babich (ex linebacker) calling the plays like he did that one year. What does a linebacker know about playcalling anyways :).

One thing I will say about the play calling this game that I liked is the fact that it seemed like there were more throws over the middle of the field than some games such as the ISU game.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 05:36 PM
What I like about Moody is that he is a gamer, and he is consistent, meaning you can count on him to make catches on accurate balls thrown to him, and he is there week in and week out. That is the sort of "consistency" and reliability we need for our O to operate efficiently. Brock and the OC can "count" on Moody to be there. Not knocking the other WR corp, I am just saying that having someone you can count on really helps.

THEsocalledfan
10-22-2012, 05:38 PM
What I like about Moody is that he is a gamer, and he is consistent, meaning you can count on him to make catches on accurate balls thrown to him, and he is there week in and week out. That is the sort of "consistency" and reliability we need for our O to operate efficiently. Brock and the OC can "count" on Moody to be there. Not knocking the other WR corp, I am just saying that having someone you can count on really helps.

How in the devil was he a walk on? Is it speed? He certainly had the hands on the size to be a scholie player out of high school, or am I missing something?

SDbison
10-22-2012, 05:41 PM
I don't think they had or felt they would have enough time to let deep patterns develop, but then again, I "don't know a effing thing about football" according to my "friend" who confronted me at the stadium over some of my criticisms of Vigen. Did someone actually confront you about your criticisms of Vigen? Was it kind of like Mertens mom confronting me at SDSU a few years ago? Ha ha that was funny shit. The same answer likely fits.........if he is so good prove it on the field in tough situations.

SDbison
10-22-2012, 05:46 PM
How in the devil was he a walk on? Is it speed? He certainly had the hands on the size to be a scholie player out of high school, or am I missing something? It was assumed he is a WR from North Dakota and therefore not good enough for DI. I like to emphasise the fact Moody rises to the occasion after not being the starter........makes the catches.......and then doesn't get hurt. He definitely can be relied upon!

tony
10-22-2012, 05:51 PM
It was assumed he is a WR from North Dakota and therefore not good enough for DI. I like to emphasise the fact Moody rises to the occasion after not being the starter........makes the catches.......and then doesn't get hurt. He definitely can be relied upon!

North Dakotan Andrew Okland got a schollie that same year and he is pretty good too.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Did someone actually confront you about your criticisms of Vigen? Was it kind of like Mertens mom confronting me at SDSU a few years ago? Ha ha that was funny shit. The same answer likely fits.........if he is so good prove it on the field in tough situations.

Yes!! He was "friends with Vigen". I "don't know a [effing] thing about football" and "Why in the [eff] do I even come to NDSU football games?" and I have something "personal" against Vigen. This coming from a guy with a group of about 3-4 othes as I walked by (by myself) with then tucked into a little spot off the beaten path. It started with them yelling "Hey, fire Vigen" as I walked by, and then beckoning me over there as if they wanted to talk. Instead, it was their "set-up". It seemed pretty clear to me that they had pre-planned this confrontation with me. I initailly stated I felt Vigen was calling a pretty good game, but that is when the "talker" started in on me. I looked around a bit to see if there was any possible back-up around, but there was none. Whoever the guy was clearly reads BV, but does not read well, as I was not the person who started that thread last week after the loss, and I believe I only posted a couple of times about dumping it to the RB's when they were open after a fake draw/hand-off, and there were 50-60 posts by others.

It was assumed he is a WR from North Dakota and therefore not good enough for DI. I like to emphasise the fact Moody rises to the occasion after not being the starter........makes the catches.......and then doesn't get hurt. He definitely can be relied upon!

This is exactly what I was referring to regarding Moody. He's got both mental and physical toughness that can be counted on. Not the fastest or most flashy, but he is there during the game and week in/out.

TransAmBison
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
Yes!! He was "friends with Vigen". I "don't know a [effing] thing about football" and "Why in the [eff] do I even come to NDSU football games?" and I have something "personal" against Vigen. This coming from a guy with a group of about 3-4 othes as I walked by (by myself) with then tucked into a little spot off the beaten path. It started with them yelling "Hey, fire Vigen" as I walked by, and then beckoning me over there as if they wanted to talk. Instead, it was their "set-up". It seemed pretty clear to me that they had pre-planned this confrontation with me. I initailly stated I felt Vigen was calling a pretty good game, but that is when the "talker" started in on me. I looked around a bit to see if there was any possible back-up around, but there was none. Whoever the guy was clearly reads BV, but does not read well, as I was not the person who started that thread last week after the loss, and I believe I only posted a couple of times about dumping it to the RB's when they were open after a fake draw/hand-off, and there were 50-60 posts by others.

This is exactly what I was referring to regarding Moody. He's got both mental and physical toughness that can be counted on. Not the fastest or most flashy, but he is there during the game and week in/out.So you were eviscerated with pointed remarks. Must have been tough. Prolly would have hurt more if they had used small words so you could understand it all. Consider yourself lucky.

BisonFan02
10-22-2012, 07:15 PM
So you were eviscerated with pointed remarks. Must have been tough. Prolly would have hurt more if they had used small words so you could understand it all. Consider yourself lucky.

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/slides/photos/000/336/953/boom-goes-the-dynamite-bria_display_image.jpg?1281452617

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 09:01 PM

If you see your 'friend' again just say that when you played, criticism was harsh sometimes...because it was college football...and the coaches and players on your team expected it, along with the praise. There were calls for Hager's head in 1987...as you know. Same with Morton after two 6-4 seasons. Same with Solomonson during his first year (8-3...then a NC). Along with the dynasty comes heat. Expectations are f...ing high. Morton said that there was less pressure when he went to DI Tulsa. Solomonson said the same when he went to DI-AA Montana State. And in the case of Ev Kjelbertson...he won a share of the conference his first two years...then tanked his 3rd...and was given the option to resign. I know...it was more complicated than that. Usually is.

I'm as tired of the inner circle that protects Vigen as I am of the criticism. I have nothing personal against him...but...Central Valley, to tight end at NDSU, to an eventual OC job...and being allowed to learn on the job. The path he's taken sets him up for criticism.

Would anyone here be shocked if he gets the head coaching nod when Bohl decides to leave? Not me. The person who replaces Bohl had better be ready for a lot more heat than Vigen has gotten. Think Bohl might have felt some heat too. It's a big-boy's game.

DjKyRo
10-22-2012, 09:05 PM
Would anyone here be shocked if he gets the head coaching nod when Bohl decides to leave? Not me. The person who replaces Bohl had better be ready for a lot more heat than Vigen has gotten. Think Bohl might have felt some heat too. It's a big-boy's game.

I think it's far more likely Chris Klieman gets that job, whenever it eventually happens (which I think it will, unfortunately. Hopefully not soon).

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 09:07 PM
I think it's far more likely Chris Klieman gets that job, whenever it eventually happens (which I think it will, unfortunately. Hopefully not soon).

I agree that Klieman would be a strong candidate...but I believe that the political machine behind Vigen will campaign for him. Said machine should not be underestimated.

reformedUNDfan
10-22-2012, 09:15 PM

assuming bohl leaves in the near future, don't write off hazelton coming back. I'm on the bohl is gonna be here for a while bandwagon, however.

It took tressel a decade and 4 titles to get a high quality fbs job, and many premier programs were recently refilled. I don't understand the point of going to a bad fbs program, making twice as much for 3 years and then getting fired.

DjKyRo
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I agree that Klieman would be a strong candidate...but I believe that the political machine behind Vigen will campaign for him. Said machine should not be underestimated.

The same machine moved him to DC after being with the program for a single year over AJ Cooper (7 years with the program, former player, recruiting guru) and Nick Goeser (third season with the program, beastly defensive lines under him), not to mention Steve Stanard now being in the mix with 22 years of coaching experience under his belt. I'm not pointing all this out for the sake of argument, mind - I consider myself a Vigen apologist but certainly recognize he has his shortcomings. I didn't think this defense could get any better after last year and Klieman is making some magic out there.

All that said, here's hoping Bohl is here for the next 30 years. I'd be cool with it.

NorthernBison
10-22-2012, 09:19 PM
I have nothing personal against him...but...Central Valley, to tight end at NDSU, to an eventual OC job...and being allowed to learn on the job. The path he's taken sets him up for criticism.

I remember plenty of people (including me) thinking Gus Bradley would be a great fit for the eventual HC job at NDSU. Look up his history prior to leaving for Tampa. There was a total of 3 years at Fort Lewis College as a DC. He pretty much learned on the job at NDSU too for about 10 years after the Ft. Lewis gig.

Mark me down as somebody who would be shocked if Vigen was ever offered the HC job at NDSU. It will be somebody with a Defensive background. Everybody is an amateur OC.

td577
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
I remember plenty of people (including me) thinking Gus Bradley would be a great fit for the eventual HC job at NDSU. Look up his history prior to leaving for Tampa. There was a total of 3 years at Fort Lewis College as a DC. He pretty much learned on the job at NDSU too for about 10 years after the Ft. Lewis gig.

Mark me down as somebody who would be shocked if Vigen was ever offered the HC job at NDSU. It will be somebody with a Defensive background. Everybody is an amateur OC.

Isn't Bradley on a head coaching track in the nfl?

NorthernBison
10-22-2012, 09:34 PM
Isn't Bradley on a head coaching track in the nfl?

I think he is. I think he left NDSU in about 2005 and was on a head coaching track here.

The point was not to directly compare the two but to refute the assumption that CA was making about the path Vigen is taking. It's more typical than you might think.

CAS4127
10-22-2012, 09:38 PM
I think he is. I think he left NDSU in about 2005 and was on a head coaching track here.

The point was not to directly compare the two but to refute the assumption that CA was making about the path Vigen is taking. It's more typical than you might think.

Really?! Who is our last HC who didn't have some college experience elsewhere? Even Casey had that.

CaBisonFan
10-22-2012, 09:39 PM
The same machine moved him to DC after being with the program for a single year over AJ Cooper (7 years with the program, former player, recruiting guru) and Nick Goeser (third season with the program, beastly defensive lines under him), not to mention Steve Stanard now being in the mix with 22 years of coaching experience under his belt. I'm not pointing all this out for the sake of argument, mind - I consider myself a Vigen apologist but certainly recognize he has his shortcomings. I didn't think this defense could get any better after last year and Klieman is making some magic out there.

All that said, here's hoping Bohl is here for the next 30 years. I'd be cool with it.

Not the same political machine...not even close. I know them very well. Very well.

I have no influence...but blood is thicker than the dynasty in this specific area.

NorthernBison
10-22-2012, 09:57 PM
Really?! Who is our last HC who didn't have some college experience elsewhere?

Maybe there isn't. I'm thinking Gus learned more in his 10 years at NDSU than he did in a short stint at a crappy little JC. Historically, I'll take our HC's who spent some time in the NDSU system (Hager, Morton) over most of the guys who came in from outside (Solomonson and Babich?) regardless of how many other places they coached.

BTW, Bohl is a completely different comparison because of where his experience was.

I don't think there is any true formula that works. You either get a guy who can succeed or you don't. I think Wacker came in with almost no college coaching experience and took over the Head job. Morton only had a couple years under Wacker and he was so young that he couldn't have had much experience before that. History says both worked out well for us and bit the dust elsewhere.

Edit: I know that Fort Lewis is in the RMAC but seriously, it's basically a JC slightly larger than Mayville from what I remember.

WFBisonFan
10-22-2012, 11:55 PM
IF Bohl leaves ever, I give Vigen a -193 % chance of landing the HC job. I would bet that Klieman would be a strong candidate along with Scott Hazelton. I would think he would like a HC job although if USC's D turns into what the Bison's current D is like.....he may get that opportunity at the FBS level. I just don't see Vigen as a possibility....I bet MSUM wouldn't have even considered him 2 years ago. ROR???????? (Return of Rocky?) :)

56BISON73
10-23-2012, 12:13 AM
How in the devil was he a walk on? Is it speed? He certainly had the hands on the size to be a scholie player out of high school, or am I missing something?

They only have so many schollies to offer. Some of these kids are walkons trying to earn a scholly.

JSUBison
10-23-2012, 12:24 AM

This thread turned interesting pretty quick. I thought Bohl decides on his staff. You guys saying that Vigen is OC over Bohl's objection, or that Klieman was promoted not by Bohl? I'm not understanding the riddles of Cabison.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2012, 02:02 AM
This thread turned interesting pretty quick. I thought Bohl decides on his staff. You guys saying that Vigen is OC over Bohl's objection, or that Klieman was promoted not by Bohl? I'm not understanding the riddles of Cabison.

It's not intended to be a riddle. I don't pretend to have influence.

But I 'am' saying that I have strong connections to the inner circle of political power with anything that is Bison...and within that small camp, there is great love and admiration for Brent Vigen. But the loyalty goes even further back. I'm not saying that he'll be the next HC...but I 'am' saying that he will likely be on the short list.

This all relates to what CAS experienced tailgating. That's how I got started on this. The people who are in his camp are very loyal...and very pissed off at how some of us have treated him. What I've written here about his work hasn't gone over very well in my circle. It's...let me say...'touchy.'

Yes...Coach Bohl chooses his assistants...of course. But Bohl also lives in a very political world. He ain't stupid.

HerdBot
10-23-2012, 04:36 AM
Sam was really good in short yardage but overall, he dances behind the line and doesn't dance in the open field when he needs to. Looks like he's losing confidence and is thinking instead of reacting. Looks like hes trying too hard. Last year he was hitting the hole harder

BisonNeil
10-23-2012, 06:36 PM

Yes, but he lost the job to Bohl after Babich left. I think that is why he moved to the NFL when he had the chance, but that is just my opinion.

BisonNeil
10-23-2012, 06:39 PM
Maybe there isn't. I'm thinking Gus learned more in his 10 years at NDSU than he did in a short stint at a crappy little JC. Historically, I'll take our HC's who spent some time in the NDSU system (Hager, Morton) over most of the guys who came in from outside (Solomonson and Babich?) regardless of how many other places they coached.

BTW, Bohl is a completely different comparison because of where his experience was.

I don't think there is any true formula that works. You either get a guy who can succeed or you don't. I think Wacker came in with almost no college coaching experience and took over the Head job. Morton only had a couple years under Wacker and he was so young that he couldn't have had much experience before that. History says both worked out well for us and bit the dust elsewhere.

Edit: I know that Fort Lewis is in the RMAC but seriously, it's basically a JC slightly larger than Mayville from what I remember.

Solomonson was Morton's DC before he was promoted to HC. Hager was Solomonson's DC before he was promoted. So, if Solomonson was from the "outside", then technically everyone was from the outside. Bohl was Morton's DB coach in 84, so does that make him an outsider or an insider?

CAS4127
10-23-2012, 07:41 PM
Solomonson was Morton's DC before he was promoted to HC. Hager was Solomonson's DC before he was promoted. So, if Solomonson was from the "outside", then technically everyone was from the outside. Bohl was Morton's DB coach in 84, so does that make him an outsider or an insider?

You are correct on the Solomonson and Hager.

Answer to you last question: "Yes"!! :biggrin:

CAS4127
10-23-2012, 07:44 PM
Yes, but he lost the job to Bohl after Babich left. I think that is why he moved to the NFL when he had the chance, but that is just my opinion.

Not completely accurate. Gruden called Gus to talk about another coach Gruden was looking at, and, in talking with Gus, realized how much he knew about Tampa 2 got to know Gus's personality and offered the position to Gus instead of the other coach Gruden was initially considering. Gus (Casey) was not actively seeking a change at the time.

1st&TennBison
10-23-2012, 08:20 PM
IF Bohl leaves ever, I give Vigen a -193 % chance of landing the HC job. I would bet that Klieman would be a strong candidate along with Scott Hazelton. I would think he would like a HC job although if USC's D turns into what the Bison's current D is like.....he may get that opportunity at the FBS level. I just don't see Vigen as a possibility....I bet MSUM wouldn't have even considered him 2 years ago. ROR???????? (Return of Rocky?) :)

If I'm not mistaken, didn't Rocky have his name in the mix during the last HC search. Seems to me I asked my wife who this Hager guy was at the time(I think because he was on the list of candidates) they were looking when they hired Bohl, and she told me that he use to be the head coach at one time. If this is so, can someone tell me if he was on the list because he requested it, or did the AD put him on the list, and was he ever a serious candidate to get rehired.

NorthernBison
10-23-2012, 08:30 PM

Shows you how much I remember about Solomonson. He was at NDSU for like 6 years as an assistant. I always looked at him as a poacher who swept in and then left to crash and burn at MSU.

I guess I just don't see lack of outside experience as a deal breaker in EVERY case but I won't disagree that it probably works that way. Gus would have been a fine choice as a HC without the three years at Fort Lewis.

If a long resume is such a big factor, Babich had the most extensive resume of any coach in our history in terms of variety of positions.

I don't share CAbisons's concern that Vigen is likely to step into any future HC opening. I expect that any future HC hires will not only have experience as coordinators, they will also likely have HC experience. It is unlikely that anybody will get this kind of job by simply working their way through the system. Even the Craig Bohl that we hired (in 2003?) would be unlikely to get the job as it exists today.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2012, 08:47 PM
I don't share CAbisons's concern that Vigen is likely to step into any future HC opening.

It's not so much a concern as it is a look at the political environment. I guess my main point is that Vigen's supporters have no love for those of us who have written negative things about his performance. CAS happens to be pretty well known to a lot of people...so he took the heat.

And being from Buxton/Reynolds...Vigen has quite a bit of family and friends in the immediate area. It gets touchy when the Bison community comes down on him. It's different than being from outside of the region.

But the reality is that this is big-boy football...at a major university...with a dynasty to protect. It's just kind of weird to have had an assistant with no outside experience as the OC. He seems to be improving. Hard to tell because of the influx of talent in the ball-handling positions.

NorthernBison
10-23-2012, 08:55 PM
It's not so much a concern as it is a look at the political environment. I guess my main point is that Vigen's supporters have no love for those of us who have written negative things about his performance. CAS happens to be pretty well known to a lot of people...so he took the heat.

And being from Buxton/Reynolds...Vigen has quite a bit of family and friends in the immediate area. It gets touchy when the Bison community comes down on him. It's different than being from outside of the region.

But the reality is that this is big-boy football...at a major university...with a dynasty to protect. It's just kind of weird to have had an assistant with no outside experience as the OC. He seems to be improving. Hard to tell because of the influx of talent in the ball-handling positions.

Aren't you being a bit condescending toward Coach Bohl? I think he's in the most influential position of anybody with regard to the program. He will decide on Brent's future in his current position and I doubt very much if Craig would tolerate lack of performance.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2012, 09:05 PM
Aren't you being a bit condescending toward Coach Bohl? I think he's in the most influential position of anybody with regard to the program. He will decide on Brent's future in his current position and I doubt very much if Craig would tolerate lack of performance.

Could be...but Bohl won't decide who replaces him when he decides to move on.

Still...having Vigen in that position has a different political dynamic than hiring someone from the outside.

NorthernBison
10-23-2012, 09:17 PM
Could be...but Bohl won't decide who replaces him when he decides to move on.

Still...having Vigen in that position has a different political dynamic than hiring someone from the outside.

True, that decision won't be his to make.
I'm guessing there are plenty of people you could hire that would create a "political" dynamic (former players, certain community ties. etc).
I'm not sure that I see where Vigen is "different" in that respect but you must have your reasons for thinking that way.

CaBisonFan
10-23-2012, 09:50 PM
True, that decision won't be his to make.
I'm guessing there are plenty of people you could hire that would create a "political" dynamic (former players, certain community ties. etc).
I'm not sure that I see where Vigen is "different" in that respect but you must have your reasons for thinking that way.

He's different because he has had no other job experience...and he's the OC. Yes...others could have done it...but haven't recently.

Rocky Hager is another example I guess...but he worked at Morningside and Augustana before taking one of the big positions...I believe. He was a Minot Stater.

tony
10-23-2012, 10:14 PM

Well, I wouldn't consider myself a huge Coach Vigen supporter any more than I support any Bison coach, but I do think the people who relentlessly criticize him are bordering on the irrational. :)

Tell, O Mighty Gods of Football Knowledge, what does Coach Vigen have to do to earn your support? I'm really curious about this. I'm also curious if any Bison OC since 1990 would be better... if so, which ones and why?

CAS4127
10-23-2012, 10:22 PM
Well, I wouldn't consider myself a huge Coach Vigen supporter any more than I support any Bison coach, but I do think the people who relentlessly criticize him are bordering on the irrational. :)

Tell, O Mighty Gods of Football Knowledge, what does Coach Vigen have to do to earn your support? I'm really curious about this. I'm also curious if any Bison OC since 1990 would be better... if so, which ones and why?

I'm curious about why you edited/changed your post without showing it was edited/changed??!!!

tony
10-23-2012, 10:33 PM
I'm curious about why you edited/changed your post without showing it was edited/changed??!!!

I do my editing that way. Post and then edit.

In this case, I felt that writing "morons" didn't really capture the sentiment that I was going for while "irrational" did.

56BISON73
10-24-2012, 12:11 AM
I do my editing that way. Post and then edit.

In this case, I felt that writing "morons" didn't really capture the sentiment that I was going for while "irrational" did.

What about "irrational morons" ?:biggrin:

AjaxTheMighty
10-24-2012, 12:15 AM

I really liked Pat Perles. Maybe Steve Walker made him look good, but his play calling was hardly ever predictable. Plus it seemed like he dialed up deep balls a lot more than Vigen. I know I have said this a lot, but in 09 when my son was 7 he turned to me during a game and asked (and with a sincere and serious face) 'Do the bison only have two plays?" After the 700th HB trap.

CAS4127
10-24-2012, 02:43 PM

Agree on Perles from previous post.

As for Vigen, I would like to see him be able to make adjustments during the game/on his feet, so to speak. The Indiana State game is a good example. Clearly they gave us a defensive look that we did not prepare for or that we were not prepared for (I doub't we only planned to score 14 and not be able to run the ball effectively), yet I did not see adjustments (dumping to RB's would be an example). In all of our other games, we were clearly more athletic and an all around better team, but that was not so against ISU-Blue. Also, I would like to see him set up more plays rather than just calling them at a given moment. The single or double reverses are an example of that-->they should not just come out of the blue unless there is clear over-pursuit occurring. Also, there have been several times he has rolled Brock to the left (away from his throwing arm if you will) in key situations. That is not putting Brock in a very good position to make a throw. So, the long and the short of it is, Vigen is a serviceable OC when we are the dominant team athletically, but when we are tested, whether because the other team matches up with us well or because we are not playing well, then he seems to me to be average at best, and appears to just go to his default plays, whether they are working or not, and whether or not those plays are correct for the defensive look we are getting.

That all said, I could be dead-ass wrong, and he perhaps is a very good OC, and I just don't know what I am talking about. It could be that he takes our base offense, tweeks it week-in and week-out, and we are winning games by just keeping things simple. I concede that is a distinct possibility, and that I am being over-critical--but I am entitled to my own opinion the last time I checked.

td577
10-24-2012, 04:19 PM
Agree on Perles from previous post.

As for Vigen, I would like to see him be able to make adjustments during the game/on his feet, so to speak. The Indiana State game is a good example. Clearly they gave us a defensive look that we did not prepare for or that we were not prepared for (I doub't we only planned to score 14 and not be able to run the ball effectively), yet I did not see adjustments (dumping to RB's would be an example). In all of our other games, we were clearly more athletic and an all around better team, but that was not so against ISU-Blue. Also, I would like to see him set up more plays rather than just calling them at a given moment. The single or double reverses are an example of that-->they should not just come out of the blue unless there is clear over-pursuit occurring. Also, there have been several times he has rolled Brock to the left (away from his throwing arm if you will) in key situations. That is not putting Brock in a very good position to make a throw. So, the long and the short of it is, Vigen is a serviceable OC when we are the dominant team athletically, but when we are tested, whether because the other team matches up with us well or because we are not playing well, then he seems to me to be average at best, and appears to just go to his default plays, whether they are working or not, and whether or not those plays are correct for the defensive look we are getting.

That all said, I could be dead-ass wrong, and he perhaps is a very good OC, and I just don't know what I am talking about. It could be that he takes our base offense, tweeks it week-in and week-out, and we are winning games by just keeping things simple. I concede that is a distinct possibility, and that I am being over-critical--but I am entitled to my own opinion the last time I checked.

I completely agree as it is something I have said before. There is very little in-game adjustment by the offense when things are not going so well.

It seems when opponents stay in their predicted set and style, the Bison offense rocks. Throw the offense a curve and it feels like they just keep trying to jam that square peg in a round hole. When defenses take something away from the offense, something else opens up. The players have always been willing to work outside their comfort zone. See last year's playoff run. Three completely different opposing offenses with three similar outcomes. Our offense should be as willing as the defense to accept trying something different.

When I see in game adjustments by our OC, I will be convinced he has also taken a huge stride towards leaving all doubt behind. Until then, when your realm of control is good but the weakest link in the offense/defense/special teams triangle, he will only be as good as the players around him. Again, the defense is a sum of its parts and is a very adaptable machine. The offense needs to show the same aptitude and ability to adapt.

tony
10-24-2012, 04:33 PM

Definitely you are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion. :)

Perles was really good, but three of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen from a Bison team occurred under his watch. And, of course, 2007 was a great offensive year - almost 40 points per game. On the other hand, the 22 turnovers NDSU gave up that season was terrible.

So far in 2012, the offense is putting up more points and turning the ball over significantly less than the 2007 offense - if they continue like they've been, NDSU will do fine because Vigen's offensive scheme complements the defense very well.

When NDSU doesn't do well on offense, it's going to be the same thing that all offenses run into from time to time: Poor execution and/or a good defense. Playcalling is waaaaay down the list.

Heck, USD apparently called every play in their playbook last weekend and, if anything, it made things worse for them. NDSU doesn't work that way - it's never going to be "let's throw out the playbook and go wildcat" - adjustments are going to be subtle. Why? Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best. The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.

CAS4127
10-24-2012, 04:45 PM
Definitely you are entitled to your opinion. I'm entitled to my opinion about your opinion. :)

The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.

That reminds me of my HS coach. When being interviewed by the sportswriter for the Thief River Falls paper after little Mahnomen kicked their asses all over the field he was asked: "Coach, you have been running the same offense for years, and have run it again this year week-in and week-out, aren't you ever afraid the other teams are gonna know what you are doing"? Response: "I just want to make damn sure my kids know what they are doing"!! :biggrin:

CAS4127
10-24-2012, 04:47 PM

Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best.

So, are you suggesting that Vigen is being shackled by Bohl?!

tony
10-24-2012, 05:02 PM
So, are you suggesting that Vigen is being shackled by Bohl?!

No, I'm pretty sure that Coach Vigen buys into the same philosophy.

I wouldn't expect anything different no matter who the OC is at NDSU though.

bisonmike2
10-25-2012, 08:25 PM
No, I'm pretty sure that Coach Vigen buys into the same philosophy.

I wouldn't expect anything different no matter who the OC is at NDSU though.

Are you saying Vigen = Bohl and Bohl = Vigen? Holy shit. You just blew my mind. Which explains why Bohl hasn't fired him. He can't fire himself! What a twist! This is right up there with Keyser Sosa was Kevin Spacey the whole time!

1st&TennBison
10-25-2012, 09:54 PM

Perles was really good, but three of the worst offensive performances I've ever seen from a Bison team occurred under his watch. And, of course, 2007 was a great offensive year - almost 40 points per game. On the other hand, the 22 turnovers NDSU gave up that season was terrible.

So far in 2012, the offense is putting up more points and turning the ball over significantly less than the 2007 offense - if they continue like they've been, NDSU will do fine because Vigen's offensive scheme complements the defense very well.

When NDSU doesn't do well on offense, it's going to be the same thing that all offenses run into from time to time: Poor execution and/or a good defense. Playcalling is waaaaay down the list.

Heck, USD apparently called every play in their playbook last weekend and, if anything, it made things worse for them. NDSU doesn't work that way - it's never going to be "let's throw out the playbook and go wildcat" - adjustments are going to be subtle. Why? Because Coach Bohl's philosophy is that you ride the horse that brung ya and, more specifically, that you are most likely to succeed when you run the plays your team executes the best. The plays teams execute the best are the ones they run the most.

I agree, in my mind Vigens play calling is just fine. And some food for thought for the people who think his play calling is predictable. Didn't the Bison run the veer/option offense all through the 80's and early 90's. So didn't they basically run 80% of the time. And the extent of their running was what.......5 basic plays: sweep to the left or right with pitch option, off tackle left or right, and straight up the middle. Now that to me sounds like very predictable football. Now I wasn't a fan back in those days, but last time I looked up in the rafters of the dome, I see indications that worked out pretty well. All comes down to execution and even if the other team knows what's coming you can still pull it off.

westnodak93bison
10-26-2012, 01:42 AM
I agree, in my mind Vigens play calling is just fine. And some food for thought for the people who think his play calling is predictable. Didn't the Bison run the veer/option offense all through the 80's and early 90's. So didn't they basically run 80% of the time. And the extent of their running was what.......5 basic plays: sweep to the left or right with pitch option, off tackle left or right, and straight up the middle. Now that to me sounds like very predictable football. Now I wasn't a fan back in those days, but last time I looked up in the rafters of the dome, I see indications that worked out pretty well. All comes down to execution and even if the other team knows what's coming you can still pull it off.

That is all fine and dandy IF the plays work.

mhyer63
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM

So your a bandwagon jumper who is a Bison fan now only because they are doing well.

mhyer63
10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
That is all fine and dandy IF the plays work.

It is obvious that the plays work, or didn't you see the national championship banners.

TransAmBison
10-26-2012, 01:14 PM
So your a bandwagon jumper who is a Bison fan now only because they are doing well.He didn't even know about the Bison at that time. He married a Bison alumni and found out about NDSU then.

1st&TennBison
10-26-2012, 03:54 PM
So your a bandwagon jumper who is a Bison fan now only because they are doing well.

How about you show up at the game tomorrow and I bandwagon jump my foot up your ass in the tailgate lot. Read my profile next time before you spew stupidity, and then you will know why I have been a Bison fan for the only last 12-13 years and not since I was five. And if you think you feel a little froggy and want to jump let me know and I will tell you right where I will be and when.

1st&TennBison
10-26-2012, 04:01 PM
He didn't even know about the Bison at that time. He married a Bison alumni and found out about NDSU then.

Thanks TransAm, not sure that guy is able to take more than one option into account when he talks, had issues with him when I first started posting, the guys a dork. Is there a way for me to block on this site.

CaBisonFan
10-26-2012, 10:08 PM

You completely missed the purpose of my posts on this topic. I was esplainin' that Vigen has a unique political position on the Bison staff. It all began when CAS wrote about being hit up while he was tailgating. I tried to esplain why...and to put an explanation point on it by saying that he has enough political clout to be considered ay head coach candidate when Bohl decides to leave. That is all.

He has improved as OC. He was afforded the opportunity to learn on the job...in a dynasty football program. He had no experience outside of NDSU...etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

Rocky Hager went elsewhere to hone his craft before becoming a DC or HC at NDSU...Morningside and Augustana. I mention him because he's from North Dakota.

Ron Erhardt was from North Dakota...but his path was very different...here...A native of Mandan, North Dakota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandan,_North_Dakota), the outgoing Erhardt graduated from Jamestown College (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamestown_College) in 1953, then spent the next two years serving in the military. After leaving the service, he was hired in 1956 as an assistant coach at Williston High School in North Dakota (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Dakota). The following year, he began an outstanding six-year run as a head coach at two North Dakota Catholic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catholic) high schools: from 1957–1959, his teams at St. Mary's of New England compiled a mark of 25-3-1, followed by another three-year run at Bishop Ryan High School (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bishop_Ryan_High_School) in Minot (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minot,_North_Dakota), where he was 20-6-1 from 1960–62. He began at NDSU as an assistant.

td577
10-27-2012, 12:20 AM
I know what I have said in the past about Vigen but I did fail to mention one thing. I generally like his play calling. He calls the type of game I like to watch. I want the Bison to grind on offense and wear opponents out. I would just like to see some adjustments during the game when the original game plan isn't working. In the last three seasons the ugliest games were Missouri state and Indiana state by far and they almost felt like the same game. Ysu last year wasn't ugly as much as weird shit happened.

I get ISU went for broke on every play and if they were to do that again, they might lose by 50. A perfect storm for them that worked out on that Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAS4127
10-27-2012, 12:35 AM
I know what I have said in the past about Vigen but I did fail to mention one thing. I generally like his play calling. He calls the type of game I like to watch. I want the Bison to grind on offense and wear opponents out. I would just like to see some adjustments during the game when the original game plan isn't working. In the last three seasons the ugliest games were Missouri state and Indiana state by far and they almost felt like the same game. Ysu last year wasn't ugly as much as weird shit happened.

I get ISU went for broke on every play and if they were to do that again, they might lose by 50. A perfect storm for them that worked out on that Saturday.

I agree with this. It's not so much what he calls its more of his ability to make in-game adjustments. Someone mentioned our verr/option game back in the 80's. Well, I can guaraneffingtu there were in-game adjustments made when things weren't going well. Like was mentioned about Gus in the Chargers thread-->u have to be creative, and have to have the ability to be so. That's what I question.

stevdock
10-27-2012, 12:43 AM
Take it for what it's worth but after Babich's short tenure, I've always had the feeling that Vigen was being groomed to eventually take over some day. I don't think NDSU brass ever thought that Bohl would be here for as long as he has been, especially since he was not from the area. I think they wanted Vigen to learn on the job and were hoping he would be ready to be HC when Bohl did move on, because then they knew they would have a lifetime coach as long as they won. And I think that really hit home after Casey Bradley moved on to the NFL and was as successful as he has been.

CaBisonFan
10-27-2012, 01:46 AM
Take it for what it's worth but after Babich's short tenure, I've always had the feeling that Vigen was being groomed to eventually take over some day. I don't think NDSU brass ever thought that Bohl would be here for as long as he has been, especially since he was not from the area. I think they wanted Vigen to learn on the job and were hoping he would be ready to be HC when Bohl did move on, because then they knew they would have a lifetime coach as long as they won. And I think that really hit home after Casey Bradley moved on to the NFL and was as successful as he has been.

I agree with this.

BadlandsBison
10-27-2012, 02:25 AM

Vigen has done an awesome job when everything is rolling and going good. Maybe its a salute to great game planning. Cuz that isu-b game sure made me cringe. The gameplan was in the dumpster but we couldn't find anything that worked. I've heard this from people who know Bison Football, and they said isu-b came out in a completely different look then they usually give. The kicker is they ran the same thing the whole until the end and we kept calling plays right into their teeth. Obviously, the Bison paid for it. And it wasn't just Brock having a bad game, it was people in the wrong spot and the trees having them in the right spot.

That performance bothered me, but it can't be perfect every week.

CaBisonFan
10-27-2012, 02:36 AM
Vigen has done an awesome job when everything is rolling and going good. Maybe its a salute to great game planning. Cuz that isu-b game sure made me cringe. The gameplan was in the dumpster but we couldn't find anything that worked. I've heard this from people who know Bison Football, and they said isu-b came out in a completely different look then they usually give. The kicker is they ran the same thing the whole until the end and we kept calling plays right into their teeth. Obviously, the Bison paid for it. And it wasn't just Brock having a bad game, it was people in the wrong spot and the trees having them in the right spot.

It brought back memories of teams that seemed to know our playbook...and were in our huddle. And as I've written many times before...when I'm able to call most of the plays that we're going to use...we've got a problem.

KilldeerBison
10-27-2012, 01:38 PM

I agree, I would expect to see ISU run a very simular scheme on defense as ISU Blue, showing blitz and dropping eight into coverage. This seemed to create confusion for our offense.