PDA

View Full Version : Straight Up with Appalachian St.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2006, 04:20 AM
The Bison would have played Appalachian St. stronger and smarter than either Montana or UMass. *NDSU had more offensive diversity than either Montana or UMass, a defense quick and strong enough to play APS straight up, and a coaching staff that would have called a headier game. *For sure, Appalachian wouldn't have been able to run 20 running plays in a row...keeping our defense on the field most of the second half...no way Jose.

This is all talk...but what I saw was one team on the field that was of a similar caliber to SU...that being Appalachian State. *It would have been one hell of a game. *

There were two great teams in DI-AA this year. *We had one of them.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2006, 04:41 AM
I think the big thing is that NDSU is much stouter against the run that what UMass appeared to be today. I know Appalachian State has done this to people all year, but I think that NDSU would win an App. St/Bison game. Would be a great one to watch either way.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2006, 04:42 AM
I think the big thing is that NDSU is much stouter against the run that what UMass appeared to be today. *I know Appalachian State has done this to people all year, but I think that NDSU would win an App. St/Bison game. *Would be a great one to watch either way.

agreed

Bisonguy
12-16-2006, 04:58 AM
If IF's and BUT's were candy and nuts.......

Solid as a rock, and proud as a peacock,
Appalachian is HOT! HOT! HOT!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2006, 05:34 AM
How about that DE Marcus Murrell. I checked in on the game once in a while and I guess I don't know if he had any sacks, but every time I tuned in he was in the backfield pressuring the QB. If I'm an NFL team that plays a 3-4 defense, I want this guy as my OLB.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2006, 06:32 AM

If IFs and BUTs were playoff eligibility, we wouldn't be having this conversation....but oh well.

Amazing team...I was totally impressed...but the Bison would have had more answers to the problems that they presented. *A great game...it would have been. *I wouldn't predict an outcome, but SU would have matched up better athletically. *UMass & Montana couldn't match up. *Offensively, they weren't nearly as diversified as SU. *Appalachian would have had their set of problems trying to control Walker & Co. and the athleticism of the Bison defense. I saw no players like Walker, White, Heckendorf, Frick, Mays, Humber, Dahl...and others on the Montana or UMass teams...or at least not as many in key positions. They were very good teams, but not as dynamic as SU or Appalachian State.

These are the top two teams.

It's just fun to compare and imagine would could have happened.

Gully
12-16-2006, 11:18 AM

I can't get that damn song out of my head!

Mr._Bill
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
To say the bison would play with Appy right after they won the thing is a pretty bold statement. Give them their respect. They are the champs.

I'm not sure that any team can put enough players in the box to stop their spread offense running attack. As discussed, it was very WV and really tough to stop. It takes speed speed speed and athleticism to stop that QB & RB with 6 guys while the others are covering 5 WR's. I thought UMass did well on O, but just needed to sustain more drives. Too many short drives and 3-and-outs. They needed to control the ball and the clock to win. the UMass D stepped up at times, but was not there for 60 minutes.

The bison offense did have much more diversity than either Umass or MT though. We won games by running over you, and by a very diversified passing game. If we can effectively replace Frick, Dahl, and Steffes next year, we will be a hell of a team again in 2007.

Spuds
12-16-2006, 12:00 PM
How satisfying is it that we are discussing the Bison as one of the top teams in the country this early in the transition? *Come to think of it, I should start a thread with postings and links to all the disease that was said and written when this move was made. *God it feels good!

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-16-2006, 02:53 PM
To say the bison would play with Appy right after they won the thing is a pretty bold statement. *Give them their respect. *They are the champs.

I'm not sure that any team can put enough players in the box to stop their spread offense running attack. *As discussed, it was very WV and really tough to stop. *It takes speed speed speed and athleticism to stop that QB & RB with 6 guys while the others are covering 5 WR's. *I thought UMass did well on O, but just needed to sustain more drives. *Too many short drives and 3-and-outs. *They needed to control the ball and the clock to win. *the UMass D stepped up at times, but was not there for 60 minutes.

The bison offense did have much more diversity than either Umass or MT though. *We won games by running over you, and by a very diversified passing game. * If we can effectively replace Frick, Dahl, and Steffes next year, we will be a hell of a team again in 2007.

Okay, that is fair. I guess it is probably more accurate to say (as has been mentioned earlier) that NDSU would match up against that spread option attack than UMass.

Gamehunter
12-16-2006, 05:20 PM
Murrell reminded me alot of Gocong from last year. He can really change games from his DE position, and would make a good NFL linebacker.

It would be nice to get at least one team like Appalachian State on the schedule for next year. The BCS schools are fun and all, but there is nothing like putting the beatdown on a team that goes deep into the playoffs. The '07 Bison team has all the markings of being physically overpowering. We need to put together a schedule strong enough to do these guys justice.

CaBisonFan
12-16-2006, 10:04 PM
To say the bison would play with Appy right after they won the thing is a pretty bold statement. *Give them their respect. *They are the champs.

I'm not sure that any team can put enough players in the box to stop their spread offense running attack. *As discussed, it was very WV and really tough to stop. *It takes speed speed speed and athleticism to stop that QB & RB with 6 guys while the others are covering 5 WR's. *I thought UMass did well on O, but just needed to sustain more drives. *Too many short drives and 3-and-outs. *They needed to control the ball and the clock to win. *the UMass D stepped up at times, but was not there for 60 minutes.

The bison offense did have much more diversity than either Umass or MT though. *We won games by running over you, and by a very diversified passing game. * If we can effectively replace Frick, Dahl, and Steffes next year, we will be a hell of a team again in 2007.

I believe that I gave them a lot of respect. *I said that they are on a level with the Bison. * 8-)

Scooter
12-18-2006, 12:29 AM
Murrell reminded me alot of Gocong from last year. *He can really change games from his DE position, and would make a good NFL linebacker.

It would be nice to get at least one team like Appalachian State on the schedule for next year. *The BCS schools are fun and all, but there is nothing like putting the beatdown on a team that goes deep into the playoffs. *The '07 Bison team has all the markings of being physically overpowering. *We need to put together a schedule strong enough to do these guys justice.

We did have a team like that this past season. *Although Georgia Southern had trouble finishing some games this year, they did take the National Champs into double overtime and lost 20-27. *I think (know) that Georgia Southern was in the playoffs the year before, and they have a few national championships of their own to boast of. *I think that an effort is being made to get us *quality games that increase exposure.

Gamehunter
12-18-2006, 01:17 AM
That was definatly a good effort to get a historically great program on the schedule, and hopefully they are more competative within the division the year they come to Fargo. GSU just was not going to be that good this year with all of the changes that went on. We need to play a I-AA team that is at their peak the same year we play them. UNI returns most of their team and should be very good next year...would they come to the Fargodome? very doubtfull.

Scooter
12-18-2006, 02:08 AM
That was definatly a good effort to get a historically great program on the schedule, and hopefully they are more competative within the division the year they come to Fargo. *GSU just was not going to be that good this year with all of the changes that went on. *We need to play a I-AA team that is at their peak the same year we play them. *UNI returns most of their team and should be very good next year...would they come to the Fargodome? *very doubtfull.

Georgia Southern was ranked preseason #13 in AGS and *#20 in Street&Smiths. *Apparently the so called experts thought that Georgia Southern was going to fair better than they did, just like NDSU did when they put them on the schedule. A lot of you guys thought that we might lose this game before the season started. *Again, this team took the national champs to double overtime. *We schedule the U of M, Ball St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Georgia Southern, what more do you want? *Hind sight is 20/20, everyone including myself looked at this game as a serious measuring stick and it was. *We fared better than the national champs did against Georgia Southern.

ndsubison
12-18-2006, 03:00 AM
That was definatly a good effort to get a historically great program on the schedule, and hopefully they are more competative within the division the year they come to Fargo. *GSU just was not going to be that good this year with all of the changes that went on. *We need to play a I-AA team that is at their peak the same year we play them. *UNI returns most of their team and should be very good next year...would they come to the Fargodome? *very doubtfull.

Georgia Southern was ranked preseason #13 in AGS and *#20 in Street&Smiths. *Apparently the so called experts thought that Georgia Southern was going to fair better than they did, just like NDSU did when they put them on the schedule. A lot of you guys thought that we might lose this game before the season started. *Again, this team took the national champs to double overtime. *We schedule the U of M, Ball St, Cal Poly, UC Davis, and Georgia Southern, what more do you want? *Hind sight is 20/20, everyone including myself looked at this game as a serious measuring stick and it was. *We fared better than the national champs did against Georgia Southern.

Agreed. Before this season, anybody who looked at the schedule thought a 5-6 or a 6-5 record would be realistic, myself included. Even though I predicted a BOLD 9-2 (losses to UM & Poly). Nobody can make fun of our schedule this past yr. Nobody. It's not our fault that these teams collective records played out as they did. Take same teams' records the previous year, the tradition some of these teams had and not to mention the two I-A's. All hard games were on the road (exception Poly) and the Bison won 6 of 7 ON THE ROAD. Let's not forget that NDSU contributed to the losing record of these same teams. Show me a team that can come through as unscathed as that, especially when we hands down BEAT the Gophers. The Bison would have gutted the NCC by a combined score of 429-80 this year. All due props to Ga Southern, but nobody made them look as silly as the Bison did this year. Their own fans will tell you that. Some of these same GS fans would even say so much as that NDSU would have beaten App State this year. Who knows? All I'm saying is don't talk shit about the schedule unless you can do better or if you want to start scheduling home & homes with NDSU. And don't even think about it if you are a fan of a team who resides in what was formerly known as the NCC (even before RT ran that conference into the ground). Apples and oranges.

G O B I S O N ! ! !

Paulie
12-18-2006, 03:13 PM
NDSU 27 App State 20

tony
12-18-2006, 03:27 PM
NDSU [ch8730]-11 App State [ch8730]-12

Where [ch8730] = the square root sign.

Gamehunter
12-18-2006, 04:52 PM
NDSU [ch8730]-11 App State [ch8730]-12

Where [ch8730] = the square root sign.

it is true, their football team is more imaginary than ours ;)

bisonaudit
12-18-2006, 05:42 PM
FYI: Sagarin final numbers (pending the SOS impact of the bowl games)

Appalachian St #1 composite, #2 BCS, #1 predictor
North Dakota St #2 composite, #1 BCS, #2 predictor

appstate07
12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
While I know you guys had a good team, I have followed the ASU program for 25 years and have never seen anything close to the past two with the way we're playing right now. I've read over and over from other schools how they could win against App. This guy from Montana State came over to our message board and practically wrote a thesis on if 'this and this would have happened', MSU would have won 24-21 rather than lose 38-17. Point is, I just don't think there was a team that could have won against App this year. Our lines were huge and just pushed around UMass after last week all we heard was that UMass was too strong up front. Try not to compare the GSU game by the way. That team is a huge rival and we were coming off the Furman game, our other rivalry game in the Socon. I wish we could play NDSU next year. Right now, we only have 8 games scheduled. No one in IA will play us as its not worth the risk. I just don't see why more IAA (or whatever they call it now) teams won't schedule App just to know where they stand before the playoffs. Hope to see you next year.

Gamehunter
12-19-2006, 04:41 PM
thanks for posting appstate07!

just like any message board, there is going to be some homerism shown here but I think you know that.

We had a great team and so did App. We will never know who would have won but obviously App gets the token of being outright Champs. If we could schedule a game I think that would be beneficial for both sides. Is App willing to schedule out of conferance so far away? GSU doesn't seem to be concerned with that after scheduling SDSU, NDSU, and then SDSU again.

IowaBisonToo
12-19-2006, 10:12 PM
Would LOVE to see App St on the schedule next year! *Hope it can happen.

Congrats on the Nat'l Champ!

kchats
12-20-2006, 03:18 AM
Would ASU do a home and home and actually honor the away game or buy their way out of a trip to Fargo like Montana State did?

Gamehunter
12-20-2006, 03:34 AM
Would ASU do a home and home and actually honor the away game or buy their way out of a trip to Fargo like Montana State did?

I think Big Sky teams are alone in this regard.

IowaBisonToo
12-20-2006, 01:37 PM
Yeah, I think ASU - being as they are having a tough time already scheduling people - would honor their commitment. They seem to be a class school - one who looks to prove themselves against the best. I think Taylor could feel comfortable signing a contract with them for a home/home.