PDA

View Full Version : No love for the FCS

1st&TennBison
10-11-2012, 12:58 AM
I travel some for my work. And when I am driving I like to listen to my Sirius XM radio. Some people might know that there are two football channels, 1st is the NFL and the other is two channels higher called College. I tried to call in today on the college channel in the mid morning hour around 9am, Eddie George former Ohio RB and some other guy (his name escapes me at the moment) are the hosts at that time. Now before you can get through to the hosts they have a person that takes your call and takes your name and also tries to get an idea of what you want to talk about, I think they do this to give the host an idea of what topic will be brought up. When I told them I wanted to talk about Bison football I was told sorry, but that they do not know very much about FCS football and do not go into it on that show. I asked him if he knew that the name of the show is called COLLEGE sports and that 76% of the people who attended college did not go to a FBS school. He said no he did not realize that, and I also said that according to Sagarin ratings that NDSU was in the top 40 of all college football and the #1 FCS program and defending NC, I was told sorry and then hung up on. Is this some sort of big rip off or what.:mad::fight::facepalm:

344Johnson
10-11-2012, 01:06 AM
Well hopefully more people start calling in to discuss it. FCS could use another App State/Michigan incident to get the country going a bit.

gumby013
10-11-2012, 01:21 AM
Call back and ask if you can talk about Battletoads.

td577
10-11-2012, 01:25 AM
At least they were honest and said they don't know jack about fcs. To be fair, if you called and wanted to talk about Wyoming they wouldn't have much of a clue either and you wouldn't have gotten on.

KSBisonFan
10-11-2012, 01:26 AM
The lesson we've learned here, kids, is to tell the screener you want to talk about the (insert SEC game of the week) and then go rogue once you're on the air. That is all.

1st&TennBison
10-11-2012, 01:33 AM
Maybe I should call back tomorrow and tell them I want to talk about CSU................and how the Bison kicked their ass.

td577
10-11-2012, 01:39 AM
Maybe I should call back tomorrow and tell them I want to talk about CSU................and how the Bison kicked their ass.

They wouldn't know jack about csu either.

reformedUNDfan
10-11-2012, 01:46 AM
ask about the top non-aq teams. ndsu is third, after byu and boise

JustinTyem
10-11-2012, 01:55 AM
They wouldn't know jack about csu either.How about you talk to them about Pitt football,and then tell them that ur team just ripped YSU, who beat Pitt,LoL

mebisonII
10-11-2012, 02:37 AM
I always assume that anyone who gets bent out of shape about the attention FCS gets is well versed in the current DII and DIII standings...

JSUBison
10-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I can see their point, if they don't know about FCS, they don't know. But what really is stupid is when ESPNU or NBC Sports has a FCS game on. This past weekend I watched a bit of Towson/JMU, and guess what the honks talked about at halftime? FBS. Same deal a couple weeks back when I watched Morgan State/Norfolk State. They just can't help talking about SEC, Oregon, and the other tired FBS shit that you can hear on every other ESPN channel or halftime show of FBS games. I don't understand what they are thinking. Obviously the audience that is watching a couple of horrible MEAC teams playing on a thursday night is a FCS fan. Why not show highlights of FCS games and talk FCS football? That is what your audience wants!

Dumb x100.

Herd
10-11-2012, 04:48 AM
The CO State coach was on College Sports 91 after they beat the Buffs, a few days before the Bison game. Solitch has been on as well as lots of the lower tier FBS coaches. Its not all AL and the top 5, but its close.

What that station needs is a show dedicated to FCS football, like an hour show weekly would be great, in between the 50 hours of SEC and top 10 discussion. You would think that a guy like Phil Steele (on weekly with Jack Arute) could lead the FCS discussion. Most of the rest would be clueless.

Phil Steele actually predicted 2-3 wins by FCS over FBS in 2012 on the show. I would have loved to call and challenge him on that number. (Actual = 10)

If NDSU wants national attention. Its chance is coming. Top 10 K-State in 2013.

reformedUNDfan
10-11-2012, 05:32 AM
The CO State coach was on College Sports 91 after they beat the Buffs, a few days before the Bison game. Solitch has been on as well as lots of the lower tier FBS coaches. Its not all AL and the top 5, but its close.

What that station needs is a show dedicated to FCS football, like an hour show weekly would be great, in between the 50 hours of SEC and top 10 discussion. You would think that a guy like Phil Steele (on weekly with Jack Arute) could lead the FCS discussion. Most of the rest would be clueless.

Phil Steele actually predicted 2-3 wins by FCS over FBS in 2012 on the show. I would have loved to call and challenge him on that number. (Actual = 10)

If NDSU wants national attention. Its chance is coming. Top 10 K-State in 2013.we should team up with the k-state fans to get gameday there, or at least get it one espn2.

Hopefully NDSU can keep piss-pounding people and build up some hype going into the offseason. It's still a little speculative, but if we can grab a couple more wins like last weekend we could even jump into the bcs standings. We really aren't very far from it; 4 points in sagarin, which is about what we gained last week.

td577
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
I don't watch or listen to these shows. I get frustrated with the focus being in the bcs conferences. That being said, that alone is 70 teams. Take the top half of that and you have the top 25 and the very next tier. I would also guess that among those 70 teams there 45 games. More early in the season, less during conference play.

The point I am getting to there is no way these guys can sift through every fbs school and have a authentic conversation about fcs programs. I am sure they pull up stuff online to help but the difference would be a refresher of a team vs using someone else's take as your own.

I like the idea of a fcs show. Since nationally the focus is on the big time programs, I do think this would be a hard sell. The reason there are so many shows now is the mere mention of a top ten school gets advertisers in a tizzy.

Rynomite
10-11-2012, 08:06 AM
The lesson we've learned here, kids, is to tell the screener you want to talk about the (insert SEC game of the week) and then go rogue once you're on the air. That is all.

love that idea!

WYOBISONMAN
10-11-2012, 12:08 PM
FCS show won't happen. Why? Outside of the top ten in attendance, fan support and interest is abysmal. Many programs such as Furman in Greenville, SC are completely overshadowed by nearby FBS programs despite fielding decent teams. Unfortunately power is going to continue to get concentrated in the top programs of FBS as will the publicity. Here is a link to the 2011 FCS attendance stats.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/2011/Internet/attendance/FCS_AVGATTENDANCE.pdf

We need to enjoy FCS football for what it is.......not the FBS!

ndsubison1
10-11-2012, 12:46 PM
the average fan isnt tuning in to hear about us or georgia southern. they want to hear about the top teams, upcoming big bcs matchups, and the heisman race. that said marcus williams for heisman!

tony
10-11-2012, 12:59 PM
the average fan isnt tuning in to hear about us or georgia southern. they want to hear about the top teams, upcoming big bcs matchups, and the heisman race. that said marcus williams for heisman!

Yep. It's the Top 25 they want to hear about. Only way for FCS to come up is if they bring it up, usually by saying that BCS programs shouldn't play FCS programs so you might be able to call up before/after the Kansas State game next year.

IzzyFlexion
10-11-2012, 01:00 PM
This is the world we live in. Our society is full of scenarios that feature little fish clammoring for more attention. As a whole, NDSU athletics has received quite a lot of attention over the past few years. Enjoy it when it occurs and accept it when it doesn't.

Hammerhead
10-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Even the shows about the NFL on ESPN, NFL network, and the network pregame shows spend 90% of their time on 4 or 5 teams and ignore at least half of the league.

The_Sicatoka
10-11-2012, 01:12 PM
Unfortunately power is going to continue to get concentrated in the top programs of FBS as will the publicity.

And it's only going to get worse, more concentrated, when the FBS playoff starts in 2014.

BisonNeil
10-11-2012, 01:25 PM
FCS show won't happen. Why? Outside of the top ten in attendance, fan support and interest is abysmal. Many programs such as Furman in Greenville, SC are completely overshadowed by nearby FBS programs despite fielding decent teams. Unfortunately power is going to continue to get concentrated in the top programs of FBS as will the publicity. Here is a link to the 2011 FCS attendance stats.

Great link! What struck me about the attendance for last year is that 24,000 miserable souls each week went to Yale games to watch one of the arguably worst football teams in the country. Must be a terrific tailgate :D

Bison bison
10-11-2012, 01:40 PM
ask about the top non-aq teams. ndsu is third, after byu and boise

Bowl Invite?

EndZoneQB
10-11-2012, 01:52 PM
Great link! What struck me about the attendance for last year is that 24,000 miserable souls each week went to Yale games to watch one of the arguably worst football teams in the country. Must be a terrific tailgate :D

Or a great place to brown-nose with other well connected people.

WYOBISONMAN
10-11-2012, 02:33 PM
And it's only going to get worse, more concentrated, when the FBS playoff starts in 2014.

YOu are exacly right about that. And I have to say that the lower tier FBS conferences do not get treated much different than FCS. Believe it or not (despite all my bitching about NDSU's media contracts) I have been able to watch NDSU play football on TV more than watching Wyoming play. Whe the FBS Playoff starts the lower tier FBS conferences will get hit worse with lack of exposure.

But then again......I love where NDSU is and I am happy with it.

THEsocalledfan
10-11-2012, 02:38 PM

Time for someone to do this!!!! Where is Lakes when you need him?

mebisonII
10-11-2012, 03:38 PM

Most stunning thing is that a single day sell-out in the biggest B10 stadiums sells more tickets than an entire SEASON at all but the top 10 or so FCS schools.

KSBisonFan
10-11-2012, 04:15 PM

I should mention if someone does this, call from a phone number that isn't your primary phone.....use an alternate number because you'll probably* get blocked in the future. If you don't intend to ever call the radio show again, then by all means, use your primary phone.**

*by 'probably', I mean you WILL be blocked
**none of this insight is based on actual experience

SDbison
10-11-2012, 05:05 PM
I always assume that anyone who gets bent out of shape about the attention FCS gets is well versed in the current DII and DIII standings... Don't get the point of your post......DI is DI , the others are lower classifications. FCS and FBS are subdivisions of DI.

heffray
10-11-2012, 05:38 PM
we should team up with the k-state fans to get gameday there, or at least get it one espn2.

Hopefully NDSU can keep piss-pounding people and build up some hype going into the offseason. It's still a little speculative, but if we can grab a couple more wins like last weekend we could even jump into the bcs standings. We really aren't very far from it; 4 points in sagarin, which is about what we gained last week.

Is this really a possibility? I mean. Has anyone ever done that?

That would be outstanding if we can make it happen, and if we can, I think someone should take a look at the numbers and figure out what kind of point differential it would take...

heffray
10-11-2012, 05:40 PM
Bowl Invite?

I hope we don't accept, but what if we got an invite? Again, not sure if any FCS team has actually been invited before, but I don't recalll anything like that happening, and I have to think this would give us more National attention than anything we've ever done... maybe?

bisonmike2
10-11-2012, 05:59 PM
I remember talk like this in 2007. What if we run the table? What if we get a bowl invite? What if they vote us #1 even though we can't play in the playoffs?

We ended that season with a loss to SDSU. I'm convinced it was bad karma for all the hype and smack we talked that year. I really hope we don't repeat that kind of failure this year.

CAS4127
10-11-2012, 06:07 PM
Is this really a possibility? I mean. Has anyone ever done that?

That would be outstanding if we can make it happen, and if we can, I think someone should take a look at the numbers and figure out what kind of point differential it would take...

@Bold: Speaking of that, have the Undie fans been accusing us again of running up scores??!?!? Remember they did so last year. If they are this year, then they probably should also point the finger at their opponents given the scoring that has been put on their very own dominant defense!!

thebigund
10-11-2012, 06:15 PM

Just say you want to talk about the #1 team in the nation and how they mach up with the other top teams. Do you really think they'll care to ask if you mean Bama and not NDSU?

mebisonII
10-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Don't get the point of your post......DI is DI , the others are lower classifications. FCS and FBS are subdivisions of DI.

Yes, technically they are, but no, in reality they are no closer to each other than DII is to FCS. No more reason that an FBS fan should pay attention to FCS than that a FCS fan should pay attention to DII/DIII.

Bisonguy
10-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I hope we don't accept, but what if we got an invite? Again, not sure if any FCS team has actually been invited before, but I don't recalll anything like that happening, and I have to think this would give us more National attention than anything we've ever done... maybe?

http://www.lies.com/wp/images/2009/12/srsly.jpg

heffray
10-12-2012, 12:53 AM
http://www.lies.com/wp/images/2009/12/srsly.jpg

Well, yes kind of. I know that it would mean more money for the school, but would playing in a meaningless bowl game get you more pub? Or would rejecting the invite and the winning another FCS Natty be more noteworthy? I don't know... I guess I like the idea of sticking it to the BCS.

Bisonguy
10-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Well, yes kind of. I know that it would mean more money for the school, but would playing in a meaningless bowl game get you more pub? Or would rejecting the invite and the winning another FCS Natty be more noteworthy? I don't know... I guess I like the idea of sticking it to the BCS.

Sorry to bring you back to reality, but the "What if NDSU is invited to a bowl game?" talk falls under the same category as the "What if unicorns eat rainbows and poop butterflies?" talk or even the "What if NDSU is invited to the Super Bow?l" talk.

Here's how a team qualifies for a bowl game:

Selection of InstitutionsAccess
A bowl game must serve the purpose of providing a national contest between eligible
teams. The competing institutions shall be active members of the Association, and a member
institution shall not participate in more than one such game during any academic year.
Eligible Teams
An eligible team is defined as one that has won a number of games against Football
Bowl Subdivision opponents that is equal to or greater than the number of its overall
losses. [Exception: Each year, a FBS institution may count one victory against a Football
Championship Subdivision (FCS) opponent that has averaged 90 percent of the permissible
maximum number of grants-in-aid per year in FCS over a rolling two-year period.]

I looked over NDSU's 2013 schedule, and I don't see at least 6 FBS teams that NDSU could count as wins.

Now, throw in a couple of the other FBS requirements that NDSU isn't exactly meeting:

Schedule and play at least 60 percent of its football contests against members of Football Bowl Subdivision. Institutions shall schedule and play at least five regular season home contests against FBS opponents. [Bylaw 20.9.7.2]

Using my mediocre mathematical skills, 60% of 11 games would require at least 7 games against FBS schools. I only see 1 on the schedule and the 0 FBS home games fall a little short of the 5 that are required.

Provide an average of at least 90 percent of the permissible maximum number of overall football grants-in-aid per year over a rolling two-year period. [Bylaw 20.9.7.4-(a)]

Again with teh math, 90% of 85 is 76.5 scholarships. NDSU has never provided more than 63 since the move to DI.

NDSU does not meet the criteria for being an FBS institution, and even if they did there's a two year reclassification period.

In the current structuring of NCAA football, NDSU will never be invited to a bowl game. Never. Ever.

It's the FCS playoffs for NDSU.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/243/561/afc.gif (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/243561-deal-with-it)

Tatanka
10-12-2012, 02:28 AM
Sorry to bring you back to reality, but the "What if NDSU is invited to a bowl game?" talk falls under the same category as the "What if unicorns eat rainbows and poop butterflies?" talk or even the "What if NDSU is invited to the Super Bow?l" talk.

Here's how a team qualifies for a bowl game:

I looked over NDSU's 2013 schedule, and I don't see at least 6 FBS teams that NDSU could count as wins.

Now, throw in a couple of the other FBS requirements that NDSU isn't exactly meeting:

Using my mediocre mathematical skills, 60% of 11 games would require at least 7 games against FBS schools. I only see 1 on the schedule and the 0 FBS home games fall a little short of the 5 that are required.

Again with teh math, 90% of 85 is 76.5 scholarships. NDSU has never provided more than 63 since the move to DI.

NDSU does not meet the criteria for being an FBS institution, and even if they did there's a two year reclassification period.

In the current structuring of NCAA football, NDSU will never be invited to a bowl game. Never. Ever.

It's the FCS playoffs for NDSU.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/243/561/afc.gif (http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/243561-deal-with-it)

Yeah, sure, but what if NDSU gets invited to a bowl game? I think they should skip the playoffs and go for the payday.

NDSU1980
10-12-2012, 02:44 AM
Yeah, sure, but what if NDSU gets invited to a bowl game? I think they should skip the playoffs and go for the payday.You are Sooooo right. Why the heck would we want to waste 4 games trying to win an NC when we can just go to first bowl that invites us and make a BIG SPLASH.

Note, no purple font was harmed in making this post, but it sure as hell should have been :)

1st&TennBison
10-12-2012, 03:17 AM
Yeah, sure, but what if NDSU gets invited to a bowl game? I think they should skip the playoffs and go for the payday.

No way ANY FCS school gets invited to a bowl game (while they are playoff eligible). Why give up a shot at a national championship to get a payday. Best chance of that happening would have been a few years ago when NDSU was in transition and not playoff eligible, but they lost the last game of the season and a shot at finishing undefeated and #1 in the polls. And it would have been more of a novelty to have invited them at that point, and why not try putting the #1 ranked FCS team in a bowl instead of some crap 6-5 team. I'm sure that NDSU would have brought a load of fans to the game, and since those lower bowls very rarely have 20,000 total attendance why not have NDSU show up while bringing 25,000 + on their own.

WYOBISONMAN
10-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Good lord.....there is NO bowl game they would get invited to.....where on earth is this stuff coming from???

56BISON73
10-12-2012, 03:45 AM

Are you channeling Gabe?

NDSUstudent
10-12-2012, 03:49 AM
Two things are certain about this Bison team, they won't beat WIU and they won't be playing in a bowl game.

Bisonguy
10-12-2012, 12:28 PM

Only if it's on ESPN3 so NDSU can get lots of national exposure.

JackJD
10-12-2012, 12:43 PM
At least they were honest and said they don't know jack....

I've talked to SDSU's mascot, Jack, and he'll have a talk with those guys. Problem is, Jack is the silent type. :)

MNLonghorn10
10-12-2012, 01:03 PM
When do i order my oregon/ndsu rose bowl tix? lol to those who bought frisco tix. Chumps

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

IzzyFlexion
10-12-2012, 01:08 PM
I've talked to SDSU's mascot, Jack, and he'll have a talk with those guys. Problem is, Jack is the silent type. :)

Isn't his voice electronically generated? Check his power switch. I'll bet someone has simply turned jack off.

Tatanka
10-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Isn't his voice electronically generated? Check his power switch. I'll bet someone has simply turned jack off.http://rotflpictures.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/i-see-what-you-did-there-and-also-here-funny-picture-21759.jpg