PDA

View Full Version : Spring football, whats it going to look like?

bisonreader
12-20-2006, 01:00 AM
I was wondering who is going to the one to watch for this spring?

KTF
12-20-2006, 03:48 AM
The guys to watch are going to be the guys that had limited back up roles this year IMHO. *With the first few recruiting classes of Bohl's starting to assertive themselves, it will be fun to see just how good these classes are. From early indications they will be phonemenal!!

My biggest concern is QB, we have to start grooming Walker's replacement this season if NDSU is going to make a playoff run in 2008. *I am not sure that Parsons is the man, I have not seen Mertens in action enough to get any ideas. How does Brecke shake up the mix?

Other thoughts on players/positions. *

Who is going to be the premiere back since Steffes graduated and we lost a few guys? Will Cinque Chapman be back? Will Pete Blincoe be an every down back?

Can Belmore fill the safety spot spot like Dahl did? Will CB's Bowman and Agbetola be able to continue asserting themselves to become one of the best CB tandems in the country?

Defensive line guys like Fairborn and Lardnois showed a lot of potential this year. *Lardonis had a sack in every game he played I believe. Who will take Frick's place? Gratzek was a highly prized recruit from the local area, will he get the nod at d-line?

A surprise will be Shamen Washington, everytime he is on the field he electrifies everything. What will his role at WR do to our deep threat? Will he be a legitimate #2 WR? Will Majeski be the #2?

How good will the O-line be after a very successful year? can they continue their success?

Will there be more JUCO's coming in?

Just a few thoughts that I have about next years team. *

Mr._Bill
12-20-2006, 06:55 AM
I think the WR position will be a strength with Majeski and Heck as 1&2 to start, but I think there are a lot of guys who will play including Washington, Champ, Williams, Shulten, Sonie, Belquist. *I see this area as a strength. *A lot of these guys will also see special teams action. *Sign aWR with speed that is 6'5", OK.

I'm not worried about the QB spot. *We will have a great starter and good depth. *Time to start looking for a strong freshman to redshirt for 2007.

D-Line has some potential, but this is an area of concern for me. *This has to be a priority if we are planning to dominate teams in 2007 like we did this year. *I would like to see more Juco help or a transfer to help in this area. *More size and depth is needed. *Geez I wish Frick had 1 more year, but I think Dallas and others will step up.

LB . . . Wow!

DB's . . . Big shoes to fill at SS, but some very good players with Bowman, Schommer, Nate, Colvin, Mitchell, Earl, etc. *Again, don't you love 63 schollies?

RB . . . I would like to see another player or two come in to complete, but some solid returners. *I would like to see a juco or transfer brought in and a stud signed to redshirt. *Do we have any WR who deserve a few carries . . . cough cough Majeski?

Special teams . . . Solid, very solid. *A little higher Shawn, but I like ya.

O-Line *. . . Depth and talent like I'm not sure I've seen at NDSU. *I like having 63 schollies.

T-end . . . 80 is solid, but need depth. *I'm betting there is some talent on the bench.

2007 Predictions: *GWFC Champs - again. *Invite to the GFC - yes. *An, oh yes, they still don't get it gopher land. *They think that 2006 was a 1-time thing. *This time we win. *You heard it here!

tony
12-20-2006, 08:02 AM
I can't single out one guy. Getting surprised at spring game is always the most fun. Remember the debut of Joe Mays?

Anyway, I'm going to be watching for somebody to step up big on the defensive lines - hopefully more than one since we lose three guys, including Justin Frick who really counts as two guys. Fairbairn and Lardinois are coming back along with the JUCO guys (e.g Brown, Campbell, Dallas). There are also a lot of young guys out there - it'd be great to see them push for jobs. Gratzek, Sharpe, Knepel, Phillips all redshirted last year after being part of the 2006 signing class. Plus Compton is back and there are some other youngsters on the team who haven't seen much action yet (e.g. Reimers). Er, I also think that the coaches moved Ryan Schuttloffel from offensive to defensive line. I'd like all of them to step up big.

2007 Predictions: None.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2006, 01:07 PM
I think it was discussed earlier on somewhere on here, the possiblility of Matt Anderson seeing some time at SS just to get him on the field. I haven't seen him and don't really remember what was said about it at the time. I'd assume it won't happen, but just throwing it back out there.

Jdubs21
12-20-2006, 05:19 PM
I am actually impressed with parsons...the times he got to play this year he seemed really composed, even if we were up by alot, most players in that position would be really nervous...he also is really diverse, u have to keep an eye on him not only through the air but also on the ground, the 2 50 yrd runs he rattled off were very impressive i thought...haha

Gamehunter
12-20-2006, 09:43 PM
With the departure of Frick it would appear there is a big hole on the defensive line, but we had more question marks on the DL last year and look how 2006 turned out. There is also more depth for 2007 so I'm sure a couple guys will emurge and fill the spot. Compton actually was holding one of the starting end spots untill he was injured prior to the season.

Who will fill in for Craig Dahl is probably what I will be watching during the spring game. I don't see any other position that is doubt even at this time. RB will be just fine with Blincoe and Brower, and possibly Cinque. Remember, Blincoe stepped in and contributed as a true freshman. Give him a year to bulk up and learn the offense and this guy could run wild next fall. When you have an offensive line as big and talented as what we have, plus a couple big tight ends and two fullbacks that can take on just about anybody, the running game is not in question.

WR are very deep. Will Parsons play some WR? He needs to get onto the field in some way. Possibly take a few snaps at QB and send Walker out at WR and really confuse the defense. The possiblity for so many trick plays here is huge.

PLUS **** QB- Steve Walker returns, and quite frankly, THAT'S ALL YOU NEED!!

If Shamen Washington returns to his prior self he could have a big impact on the level of domination this team shows next fall.

This team will be better than last years. definately
They have all the tools necessary to take down a BigTen team, and it is going to happen.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-20-2006, 09:55 PM
I know that Blincoe is going to be a stud and I would love to see him as the starter next year. But what I would also love to see is Brower beat him out of it and be our starting HB next year. I just love power running and when you have an OL like we have to go along with Jangula, Roehl, Wurzbacher and another 250 lb TE in Thor Brown I just think he could take the ball and just physically wear teams down and then run wild in the 4th quarter. I know he has limited experience at RB at the college level, but I just love the idea of big physical power runner behind our line. Either way, I like our depth for next year in the backfield.

DenverBison05
12-20-2006, 10:14 PM
Remember we also have Symeon Cabell at RB, he was the back-up running back until he got hurt on a punt return during the Northeastern game. I think we'll be fine at RB.

bisonfan59
12-20-2006, 11:14 PM
Remember we also have Symeon Cabell at RB, he was the back-up running back until he got hurt on a punt return during the Northeastern game. *I think we'll be fine at RB.

Cabell quit the team after the season ended, so we are a little thin at the RB spot, but I still think we are ok

Gamehunter
12-20-2006, 11:16 PM
Remember we also have Symeon Cabell at RB, he was the back-up running back until he got hurt on a punt return during the Northeastern game. I think we'll be fine at RB.

Symeon left the team

BTW, I think Brower may be more of a goal line short yardage back. He is very good no doubt, but if you get Blincoe into open space he is a big threat to take it to the house on every play. Think Garett Wolf. They are both about the same size and height.

DenverBison05
12-20-2006, 11:20 PM
Remember we also have Symeon Cabell at RB, he was the back-up running back until he got hurt on a punt return during the Northeastern game. *I think we'll be fine at RB.

Symeon left the team

BTW, I think Brower may be more of a goal line short yardage back. *He is very good no doubt, but if you get Blincoe into open space he is a big threat to take it to the house on every play. *Think Garett Wolf. *They are both about the same size and height.

Thats right, I fotgot about that, my bad. :-[

Scooter
12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Guys, I don't think that Campbell on the Defensive line is comming back. *I think this was a one year thing for him. *That is the impression that I got from his mother after the SDSU game. *I think his elligibility is up.

What's the status of Jangula?

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-21-2006, 12:28 AM
Campbell is listed as a junior on the roster, so according to that he would have a year left.

Scooter
12-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Campbell is listed as a junior on the roster, so according to that he would have a year left.

Yeah, I thought that as well, it may have something to do with the time he took off away from school. I may have misunderstood his mom, but, I think my post is accurate.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-21-2006, 12:38 AM
Well, just because the roster says he has a year left doesn't necessarily mean he does. Hopefully he can come back for another year, but if he doesn't the coaches will find somebody to fill in I'm sure.

2006gwfcchamps
12-21-2006, 03:59 AM
I'm almost positive that there was an article in the Forum about this and because of the NCAA's 4 in 5 rule (you have 5 years to complete 4 years of eligibility), this season was his last.

Not 100%.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-21-2006, 01:24 PM
If he took more than a year off then this would be his last year unless he got an exemption from the NCAA. Too bad if he can't come back.

greatwestbison
12-21-2006, 01:38 PM
From what I understand Jangula is doing well with rehab!

TheDoctor
12-21-2006, 04:27 PM

He says he is feeling well and will be participating in my activity classes next semester.

WYOBISONMAN
12-21-2006, 04:36 PM

My mother talked to his mom the other day in Williston and it does sound like all is going very well. It will be great to have him back in the lineup.