PDA

View Full Version : Fargodome Campout

344Johnson
10-04-2012, 10:28 PM
(Mods feel free to move this if necessary)

Me and a few buddies plan on camping out tomorrow to be first in line for the game on Saturday. If any other students on here would like to join us and put a tent by ours, that'd be great.

Anyone who wants to stop by and tell us we are idiots for camping in the cold, this is also encouraged.

southcliffbison
10-04-2012, 10:47 PM
(Mods feel free to move this if necessary)

Me and a few buddies plan on camping out tomorrow to be first in line for the game on Saturday. If any other students on here would like to join us and put a tent by ours, that'd be great.

Anyone who wants to stop by and tell us we are idiots for camping in the cold, this is also encouraged.

I want to commend you and your buddies for your school spirit. I wonder when was the last time the Alerus Center had campers outside its doors waiting for the doors to open to watch a football game.

344Johnson
10-04-2012, 10:52 PM
Oh and a question for anyone who might know, how might I go about putting a tent up on cement? Obviously I can't drive a stake into it so if anyone has any brilliant ideas....

HandoEX
10-04-2012, 10:58 PM
I will stop by around 11pm. See ya then.

EndZoneQB
10-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Oh and a question for anyone who might know, how might I go about putting a tent up on cement? Obviously I can't drive a stake into it so if anyone has any brilliant ideas....

The rope tied around sand bags?

Bisonguy
10-04-2012, 11:02 PM

Heavy things. Best to keep people in it at all times with this wind. Either place heavy objects(50 lb bag of something ) in the corners of the tent or use guy lines from the corners to heavy objects outside (5 gallon bucket of concrete)

BisonNeil
10-04-2012, 11:06 PM
I wonder when was the last time the Alerus Center had campers outside its doors waiting for the doors to open to watch a football game.

Since they have been averaging just under 9200 at home games, my guess is quite a few have to wait many long and painful nanoseconds to get a prime seat in the AC.

MNLonghorn10
10-04-2012, 11:07 PM
dress warm grasshopper.

344Johnson
10-04-2012, 11:12 PM
dress warm grasshopper.

Bringing an electric space heater from my bedroom(I have no vents in my room, it gets cold in the winter.) and hope that it will do what I need it to do.

So essentially bring big heavy objects to keep the poles up? That should be doable.

KSBisonFan
10-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Heavy things. Best to keep people in it at all times with this wind. Either place heavy objects(50 lb bag of something ) in the corners of the tent or use guy lines from the corners to heavy objects outside (5 gallon bucket of concrete)

You could probably use some SDSU cheerleaders, you know......for anchors.

Tatanka
10-04-2012, 11:23 PM
You could probably use some SDSU cheerleaders, you know......for anchors.and I thought.... They smelled bad.... On the outside.

westnodak93bison
10-04-2012, 11:25 PM
Bringing an electric space heater from my bedroom(I have no vents in my room, it gets cold in the winter.) and hope that it will do what I need it to do.

So essentially bring big heavy objects to keep the poles up? That should be doable.

I was expecting you to say a couple fat chicks. :rofl:

344Johnson
10-04-2012, 11:30 PM
I was expecting you to say a couple fat chicks. :rofl:

Too much pride...

Bison bison
10-04-2012, 11:35 PM
don't know how you'll be able to keep the poles up with a bunch of brookings bovines on site.

acf2
10-04-2012, 11:47 PM
I want to commend you and your buddies for your school spirit. I wonder when was the last time the Alerus Center had campers outside its doors waiting for the doors to open to watch a football game.
Wow really #2 post of the thread and UND/Grand Forks/tin shed already brought up.... *shakes head*

BlueBisonRock
10-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Wow really #2 post of the thread and UND/Grand Forks/tin shed already brought up.... *shakes head*

You know what they say.... "If the Foo shits, wear it!"

EndZoneQB
10-05-2012, 12:07 AM

I'm not sure how your tents insulate, but we run a pretty nice space heater in the bus and it doesn't do much because that thing leaks like a siv. Maybe the small size of your tent* will help you in this case**. That said, god speed. I just hope you have a great sleeping bag or blankets.

*TWSS!!***
**Yeah right!****
***Maybe you should re-evaluate the fat chick thing
****Sorry, I'm done

perthbison
10-05-2012, 12:11 AM
Oh and a question for anyone who might know, how might I go about putting a tent up on cement? Obviously I can't drive a stake into it so if anyone has any brilliant ideas....bring 4 cement blocks to tie to.

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm not sure how your tents insulate, but we run a pretty nice space heater in the bus and it doesn't do much because that thing leaks like a siv. Maybe the small size of your tent* will help you in this case**. That said, god speed. I just hope you have a great sleeping bag or blankets.

*TWSS!!***
**Yeah right!****
***Maybe you should re-evaluate the fat chick thing
****Sorry, I'm done

Tons of blankets. Plan is to also hang some of them up to keep the heat in.

imabison
10-05-2012, 12:34 AM
Since they have been averaging just under 9200 at home games, my guess is quite a few have to wait many long and painful nanoseconds to get a prime seat in the AC.

They are camped out over at the REA thinking someone said Hockey was starting...

BisonTeacher
10-05-2012, 12:41 AM
Love the school spirit 344!

Pyroshane
10-05-2012, 12:44 AM
A few years ago I camped out with some friends for the release of the Wii. We tied cinder blocks to the stake rings to hold the tent down in front of Target. It dropped down to 18 degrees that night, and with the body heat of four people in a four person tent, we didn't need a heater, just sleeping bags to stay comfortable. We brought a small gas grill to cook brats, boil water for cocoa, and toast marshmallows. We also brought a bunch of the little pocket heat packs for in our shoes when we weren't in the tent (which ended up being most of the night since there were about 50 other people "camping" out) and we had a great time.

Bison03
10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
I was wondering when this was going to start up again. I would just make sure you have the dome's blessing and then recruit more people. Weather will be cold but if you can do it in December last year, this is nothing. Take some pics.

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 01:06 AM
I was wondering when this was going to start up again. I would just make sure you have the dome's blessing and then recruit more people. Weather will be cold but if you can do it in December last year, this is nothing. Take some pics.

Will try to take photos, I think my buddy has a smartphone and he will be able to upload. Who knows, maybe we will have another youngin' on BV.

BisonTeacher
10-05-2012, 01:22 AM
Will try to take photos, I think my buddy has a smartphone and he will be able to upload. Who knows, maybe we will have another youngin' on BV.

Whoa whoa whoa...that just got really weird.

westnodak93bison
10-05-2012, 01:29 AM

Jailbait?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 02:26 AM
Jailbait?

Oh dear, I meant a new poster. :facepalm:

reformedUNDfan
10-05-2012, 02:36 AM
i should be pulling in to fargo around 4:30 am. I'll drive by and honk a few times.

No_Skill
10-05-2012, 02:43 AM
Have fun stay warm

Thundering Herd
10-05-2012, 03:02 AM
Laziness! I remember having to take pics with my Kodak Advantix, gettin them developed at Ritz, putting them on the scanner, dialling up.......

Thundering Herd
10-05-2012, 03:12 AM
a lot of responses about 'heavy things like SDSU cheerleaders, concrete blocks, 50 lb bags of shit,...etc. Who wants to carry all that heavy stuff around? Go get some epoxy!!! Out of laziness comes brilliance! :biggrin:

BisonNation11
10-05-2012, 03:20 AM
If you could find someone with a canopy, put sides on it, and put your tent under/inside the canopy, that would block the wind and you wouldn't have to weigh down your tent. It would help keep your tent warmer too.

JustinTyem
10-05-2012, 03:37 AM
If you could find someone with a canopy, put sides on it, and put your tent under/inside the canopy, that would block the wind and you wouldn't have to weigh down your tent. It would help keep your tent warmer too.4 coolers filled up with Drinks for every corner would work perfect!!!!!

Strommer10
10-05-2012, 03:48 AM
We've just used pop-up tents. That way you don't have and stakes to tie it to. Some advice: bring extension cords for the heater and whatever else you're plugging in. There might only be one outlet working on the southside. In December last year, we asked Rob Sobolik to turn more outlets on for multiple heaters and they did just that. Good luck and stay warm! Go Bison!

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 03:49 AM
Laziness! I remember having to take pics with my Kodak Advantix, gettin them developed at Ritz, putting them on the scanner, dialling up.......

Haha I don't have a camera. I prefer film cameras to digital though! I have a shitty phone.

If you could find someone with a canopy, put sides on it, and put your tent under/inside the canopy, that would block the wind and you wouldn't have to weigh down your tent. It would help keep your tent warmer too.

That sounds genius, but I'm in college and we don't exactly have those sitting around.

4 coolers filled up with Drinks for every corner would work perfect!!!!!

It'd be in my best interest to not get into trouble this weekend. Handcuffs are not fun and I have a feeling the police may make an appearance.

Tatanka
10-05-2012, 03:52 AM
It'd be in my best interest to not get into trouble this weekend. Handcuffs are not fun and I have a feeling the police may make an appearance.very wise young man...

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 04:09 AM
very wise young man...

I learned from experience. Never again....unless I'm standing on the railing in the dome. Then I might get in trouble like a certain someone on this board?

MNLonghorn10
10-05-2012, 04:12 AM
I learned from experience. Never again....unless I'm standing on the railing in the dome. Then I might get in trouble like a certain someone on this board?
thats where legends are born...do you want to be a follower..or do you want to be someone that matters?

JustinTyem
10-05-2012, 04:20 AM
thats where legends are born...do you want to be a follower..or do you want to be someone that matters?Another Frisco Moment!!!!

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 04:30 AM
thats where legends are born...do you want to be a follower..or do you want to be someone that matters?

What we do in life echos an eternity yeah? haha Longhorn always gives me a good laugh. I am too broke to be someone that matters at this point!

IBleedYellow
10-05-2012, 04:53 AM
You can wedge a larger tent in-between the pillars on the South side. That's what people did last year for the Playoff games. It was a hell of a lot of fun! Have fun!

Side note: Some students are dicks, you can camp out and be first in line, but still get second row...I was there at 5 am last year for homecoming and got 3rd row because students bought reserved tickets and got in as the doors opened and didn't have the extra dome nazis around the door they entered...

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 05:00 AM
You can wedge a larger tent in-between the pillars on the South side. That's what people did last year for the Playoff games. It was a hell of a lot of fun! Have fun!

Side note: Some students are dicks, you can camp out and be first in line, but still get second row...I was there at 5 am last year for homecoming and got 3rd row because students bought reserved tickets and got in as the doors opened and didn't have the extra dome nazis around the door they entered...

maybe i should warn the Nazi's

BisonNation11
10-05-2012, 05:02 AM

They should just lottery the front row seats off. Sign up for it when you order your ticket, and draw on Thursdays. Say they draw x-amount of winners that get 4 tickets each so they can still be with their friends.

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 05:08 AM
They should just lottery the front row seats off. Sign up for it when you order your ticket, and draw on Thursdays. Say they draw x-amount of winners that get 4 tickets each so they can still be with their friends.

Not fair, those first in line should get the seats its that simple. No lottery necessary.

BisonNation11
10-05-2012, 05:10 AM
Not fair, those first in line should get the seats its that simple. No lottery necessary.

I agree if they can enforce this, but if they can't, I don't see why second row would be such a bad thing to get in line for. Was just an idea to... Well it was just an idea. I will shut up now.

NDSUdonny
10-05-2012, 05:13 AM

^ ^ ^ this!!

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 05:14 AM
I agree if they can enforce this, but if they can't, I don't see why second row would be such a bad thing to get in line for. Was just an idea to... Well it was just an idea. I will shut up now.

You make a good point now that I think of it, its really tough to enforce but hey, its Bisonville, throwing around ideas(and thread drift) is what its all about!

BisonNation11
10-05-2012, 05:21 AM
You make a good point now that I think of it, its really tough to enforce but hey, its Bisonville, throwing around ideas(and thread drift) is what its all about!

Since we're throwing out ideas, a cheap way to block the wind for your campout would be to put up a tarp somehow to block the wind between the pillars. I know money can be tight as a student, but might be an idea come playoff time when you will really need it. And if you ever find a way to "enclose" your setup, small propane heaters work pretty well and don't need power.

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 05:28 AM
Since we're throwing out ideas, a cheap way to block the wind for your campout would be to put up a tarp somehow to block the wind between the pillars. I know money can be tight as a student, but might be an idea come playoff time when you will really need it. And if you ever find a way to "enclose" your setup, small propane heaters work pretty well and don't need power.

I dont think the Dome will be charging for electricity used, which is convenient so the propane idea, while a good idea, might not be necessary. A tarp is an excellent idea but might not be possible. I will send a text to my sister tonight about picking up some materials while she is driving through Jamestown(my hometown) tomorrow to make our experience as comfortable as possible.

Bisonguy
10-05-2012, 01:06 PM

Just make sure if using a propane heater that it's well ventilated. Even the catalytic propane heaters can deplete oxygen levels to deadly levels in an enclosed area.

HandoEX
10-05-2012, 01:14 PM
What stinks is that you guys are going to camp in line all night, while some upperclassmen will just show up in the morning, say they are with the Homecoming court, and sit in the front row.

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 02:18 PM
What stinks is that you guys are going to camp in line all night, while some upperclassmen will just show up in the morning, say they are with the Homecoming court, and sit in the front row.

I will tell them that they are welcome to sit in in the endzone front row. I will be taking the good seat front row.

northendzone
10-05-2012, 02:28 PM
They are rated for hurricane force winds, if the wind is coming from the west you might climb out of the the tent and the brick fargo dome would be gone, but you would be still there...

imabison
10-05-2012, 03:26 PM
Haha I don't have a camera. I prefer film cameras to digital though! I have a shitty phone.

That sounds genius, but I'm in college and we don't exactly have those sitting around.

It'd be in my best interest to not get into trouble this weekend. Handcuffs are not fun and I have a feeling the police may make an appearance.

With that in mind did you contact the Fargodome about your intentions??? Seems to me that last year they turned on the outlets for the campers to use, and unlocked the door to allow some restroom access in the morning. Of course the absolute rules will apply no drinking unless you want it to end sooner than you expected...just saying...

have fun

344Johnson
10-05-2012, 03:42 PM
With that in mind did you contact the Fargodome about your intentions??? Seems to me that last year they turned on the outlets for the campers to use, and unlocked the door to allow some restroom access in the morning. Of course the absolute rules will apply no drinking unless you want it to end sooner than you expected...just saying...

have fun

I contacted them yesterday, just read an email they sent back and they denied my request. They said I didn't give them enough time to make arrangements so that blows. Guess I'm getting up early. FML.

HandoEX
10-05-2012, 03:47 PM
Rookie mistake.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/20454970.jpg

imabison
10-05-2012, 03:48 PM
I contacted them yesterday, just read an email they sent back and they denied my request. They said I didn't give them enough time to make arrangements so that blows. Guess I'm getting up early. FML.

Now that really sucks...sorry to hear that they are being uncooperative...geeezzz

NDSU92
10-05-2012, 05:18 PM

I was part of the group that camped out last year and for this year's home opener. They have an outlet that stays on 24/7 on the actual exterior of the dome. So as long as you have an extension cord and a power strip you can still run your heater/tv/xbox/phone charger in your tent.

Answer Guy
10-05-2012, 09:10 PM
If any other students on here would like to join us and put a tent by ours, that'd be great.

Is this code for something? Tranny?

bison93
10-05-2012, 11:20 PM

Here some ballast for your tent..

BadlandsBison
10-06-2012, 12:03 AM
Is this code for something? Tranny?

This is a no-goat party, just an fyi. You wouldn't like it ;)

KilldeerBison
10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
[/QUOTE]http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/phedger/bigskycheerleaders.jpg

Here some ballast for your tent..[/QUOTE]

Make sure and use knots that are easy/fast to untie, in case of emergency! IMO should stand up to 90mhp winds and no heaters needed.

Hammersmith
10-06-2012, 02:08 AM
Saw 5 tents at the FD on the way home from the VB game.

Jay
10-06-2012, 04:36 AM
no camping out this week. the police showed up and kick everybody out

Gilley
10-06-2012, 04:42 AM
Yup shit is weak...

HandoEX
10-06-2012, 04:54 AM
People are not allowed to park in line until 6:30-7:00. That is what the officer told me. She said it is to ensure that emergency vehicles can use the street. She wasn't able to explain to me how it wil help congestion to have a mad scramble at 6:30 or 7:00.

Jay
10-06-2012, 04:57 AM
I didn't understand it either. The guy cop couldn't give me a reason, just said the dome made the decision for this game.

344Johnson
10-06-2012, 05:07 AM
If they let these guys get away with tenting outside of the Fargodome you can guarantee that they will get a nasty email from me. I am getting in line around 6 AM tomrrow morning. If the tents are still there, I will be pissed. They told me specifically the reason I couldn't camp out was because they needed time to get accomodations, I can't imagine that 3 extra guys sitting in a tent provide anymore trouble that the tents currently present. I am going to be that asshole who arrives before they wake up and stands in front of them. I don't want to be that asshole but I will be this week.

MNLonghorn10
10-06-2012, 05:19 AM
the tents werent there when we drove by at 11:30.

this is so fucking weak. we lined up 3-4 hrs ahead for prairie view a&m...and now they expect a cordial process 90 minutes before opening...when everybody is told to line up at the same time?

ndsu should take notes from ole miss....they can handle this shit when everyone arrives on thursday. this just annoys me by ndsu. so tacky.

344Johnson
10-06-2012, 05:31 AM
the tents werent there when we drove by at 11:30.

this is so fucking weak. we lined up 3-4 hrs ahead for prairie view a&m...and now they expect a cordial process 90 minutes before opening...when everybody is told to line up at the same time?

ndsu should take notes from ole miss....they can handle this shit when everyone arrives on thursday. this just annoys me by ndsu. so tacky.

My sister's boyfriend told me it is always easier to apologize(example police telling you to leave) than to ask for permission(me yesterday).

Rynomite
10-06-2012, 06:00 AM
Tons of blankets. Plan is to also hang some of them up to keep the heat in.

So fun! Good for you guys! Hope you get some propane heaters!

HerdBot
10-06-2012, 06:07 AM
Fuck the poe-lice and the dome nazis too!

Rynomite
10-06-2012, 06:12 AM

Sounds like Gabe is already pre-gaming. As he should be!

Jay
10-06-2012, 09:11 AM
We are back in line. Went from first to fifth.

Tatanka
10-06-2012, 09:46 AM
My sister's boyfriend told me it is always easier to apologize(example police telling you to leave) than to ask for permission(me yesterday).I know nobody wants to hear this but you did it right by asking first. Next time ask earlier. Just talk to Schromer and crew about Bohlville last year, they got good support.

The bullshit about lining up at 600 is super weaksauce though. That sucks.

Pyroshane
10-06-2012, 10:16 AM
We sat and talked with the police when they asked us to leave (we parked in line at 4) and they have reversed the decision about parking.

HandoEX
10-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Back in line. They made the right call by not kicking people out again.

BisoninNWMN
10-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Back in line. They made the right call by not kicking people out again.

Kudos to you guys!!!!!

Frickin die-hards......I love it!!!!!!!

Pyroshane
10-06-2012, 11:07 AM
We just explained to the cop that there was no signage anywhere saying that we couldn't be parked here, and how much of a clusterf*ck they would have if they restricted lining up until 7. We then told them that we talked to FPD two weeks ago and specifically asked about homecoming and were told that as long as we weren't parked "overnight" we could arrive whenever we want. He said he would go radio in to clarify his orders, and came back to tell us that it was no longer "overnight" so we were ok, and to enjoy our day.

northendzone
10-06-2012, 11:13 AM
I would just keep driving my fish house around the block....

HandoEX
10-06-2012, 02:11 PM
I would just keep driving my fish house around the block....
When I drove up here at 4:30 this morning, that was my plan if the police were not alowing us to park yet. Thankfully, I got to just park and relax!

westnodak93bison
10-06-2012, 10:29 PM

What? They have never given my group a problem and we hit it pretty hard.