PDA

View Full Version : Hof

BasketballGuy
10-03-2012, 12:44 PM
Good Article on Mr. Beachy

http://m.brainerddispatch.com/sports/2012-10-02/ndsu-induct-beachy-bison-athletic-hall-fame

jimmyptubas
10-03-2012, 12:54 PM
I always wondered what happened to him. I was at the game where he ended his career. I must've been about 9 or 10. Did he get hurt in 1993 because my memory tells me he was hurt in the dome but it's not always reliable from that age.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 12:58 PM
I always wondered what happened to him. I was at the game where he ended his career. I must've been about 9 or 10. Did he get hurt in 1993 because my memory tells me he was hurt in the dome but it's not always reliable from that age.

Yes, my first game as a student at NDSU. They would have rolled to the national title that year, and it is also when NDSU officially began their slide into mediocrity by NDSU standards (meaning most schools would kill for the level of success they still had). It is also the year the WHO managed to beat NDSU for the first time in a very, very long time. (To put this in perspective, before that, they hadn't won since Jimmy Carter was President.)

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I always wondered what happened to him. I was at the game where he ended his career. I must've been about 9 or 10. Did he get hurt in 1993 because my memory tells me he was hurt in the dome but it's not always reliable from that age.Yes, it was the Home/Dome opener in '93 against Pitt St.

tony
10-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Great choice for the Hall of Fame!

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
I see TR McDonald is going in with him. Man, I remember when Beachy had him and Brent Cahill and they would just kill teams when they loaded the box to stop the option. Beachy was still in the veer at the time, but could have easily played in NDSU's current offense and also been a star. You could argue he was as good as Bentrim and Simdorn, but he often is forgotten since the effects of scholarship cuts started to take hold, they never took home the title, and his career was cut short. (Although they came darn close in '92 when they lost to Pitt St. in the playoffs and they were the two best teams.)

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I see TR McDonald is going in with him. Man, I remember when Beachy had him and Brent Cahill and they would just kill teams when they loaded the box to stop the option. Beachy was still in the veer at the time, but could have easily played in NDSU's current offense and also been a star. You could argue he was as good as Bentrim and Simdorn, but he often is forgotten since the effects of scholarship cuts started to take hold, they never took home the title, and his career was cut short. (Although they came darn close in '92 when they lost to Pitt St. in the playoffs and they were the two best teams.)I believe that would have been Shawn Cahill (but not certain on the spelling of Shawn)...

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 01:23 PM
I believe that would have been Shawn Cahill (but not certain on the spelling of Shawn)...

My error, TAB. You are correct.

tony
10-03-2012, 01:50 PM
T.R. McDonald caught everything thrown near him and had that long-stride that made him look kind of slow, but he still pulled away from the defensive backs.

2500+ yards receiving in an option offense is just crazy.

jimmyptubas
10-03-2012, 02:34 PM
We won that game against Pitt State handily yes? I believe coach Kill was on their team back then.

tcbison
10-03-2012, 02:36 PM
We won that game against Pitt State handily yes? I believe coach Kill was on their team back then.

NDSU won the game 35-16 but finished the season 7-3.

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
These are all names I remember from when I went to school as well. Hearing them brings back memories both good and bad. I remember seeing Beachy on crutches. Sad.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 03:18 PM
NDSU won the game 35-16 but finished the season 7-3.

Robbie Hyland was thrown into starting, and I think he was a freshman. He really wasn't ready for it. The next few years, he had his moments, I don't think they won another NCC title until a scrawny guy named Feeney took over after Hyland got hurt.....

With that said, Robbie Hyland's signature game was a playoff game against Pitt St. known as the "Mud Bowl" in 1994. Probably one of the best college football games I have ever seen. Double overtime, if I remember, and in the first overtime, Hyland hit a 10 yard pass on 4th and goal to Kelly Artz to force another overtime.

CivilBison96
10-03-2012, 03:24 PM
Robbie Hyland was thrown into starting, and I think he was a freshman. He really wasn't ready for it. The next few years, he had his moments, I don't think they won another NCC title until a scrawny guy named Feeney took over after Hyland got hurt.....

With that said, Robbie Hyland's signature game was a playoff game against Pitt St. known as the "Mud Bowl" in 1994. Probably one of the best college football games I have ever seen. Double overtime, if I remember, and in the first overtime, Hyland hit a 10 yard pass on 4th and goal to Kelly Artz to force another overtime.

I think it was Mike Guidley (spelling ?) that first took over after Beachy, he was also a freshman and later moved to WR after Hyland took over that year.

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 03:28 PM

That was the first game I had ever seen the overtime rules where they did ist and 10 from the 25 as opposed to playing until first team scores. I believe at that time D-I was still playing by the first to score rules, and DII was not. Being a Minnesota kid...I had never seen it before then.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 03:30 PM
That was the first game I had ever seen the overtime rules where they did ist and 10 from the 25 as opposed to playing until first team scores. I believe at that time D-I was still playing by the first to score rules, and DII was not. Being a Minnesota kid...I had never seen it before then.

Pretty sure they started at the 35 under the rules at the time, but I don't want to split hairs.

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
Pretty sure they started at the 35 under the rules at the time, but I don't want to split hairs.

Your probably right.....But not the point. :biggrin:

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 03:31 PM
I think it was Mike Guidley (spelling ?) that first took over after Beachy, he was also a freshman and later moved to WR after Hyland took over that year.

Wow, that does sound right, but don't think he lasted very long.....

moosbah
10-03-2012, 03:33 PM
Mr. Beachy provided what has proven to be one of the most text book knee destructions of all time. BRUTAL to watch. Brutal.

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Pretty sure they started at the 35 under the rules at the time, but I don't want to split hairs.You usually have a memory for minute details...but I am positive you are wrong this time. 1st and 10 from the 25...already in field goal range. Care to make a wager?

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 03:35 PM

TAB, you remember watching this game? Calling me in my dorm room to get me over to Huber's place? What a great day that was.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 03:36 PM
You usually have a memory for minute details...but I am positive you are wrong this time. 1st and 10 from the 25...already in field goal range. Care to make a wager?

yep. Case of beer. You still have the VHS?

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 03:48 PM
Im glad my lack of memory could provide you two with something to do the rest of the day.

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 03:59 PM
yep. Case of beer. You still have the VHS?Deal. Hammersmith...can you give us a verdict?

tcbison
10-03-2012, 04:02 PM
Wow, that does sound right, but don't think he lasted very long.....

I don't thing Gidley lasted very long either. Looking at the stats for that season, Gidley only rushed for 100 yards and passed for 34. I believe he was the backup to Hyland after a game or two. We still had T.R. McDonald at WR that year(1,181 yards) but the next year Gidley lead the team in receptions and yards.

In 1994, College Football Data Warehouse http://www.cfbdatawarehouse.com/index.php says were were co-champs of the NCC but that year we beat Pitt State but lost to UND in the playoffs. In 1995, I believe Feeney took over(when Hyland got hurt). We crushed UND in the playoff but then lost to Pitt State in the 2nd round.

tcbison
10-03-2012, 04:16 PM

I have to watch the "Mud Bowl" again sometime. That was a classic.

NorthernBison
10-03-2012, 04:20 PM
I seem to remember that Arden was on the cover of the Program for the opener. Result? Blown knee.
I believe Hyland blew out his knee in the opener the following season. He was on the cover too. I don't think anybody wanted their picture on the cover for the opener for a while.

bruinbison
10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
One memory I have of this is that Dr. Beachy would have been able to apply for a medical redshirt off of this first game injury. But given his academics and career path he did not and headed on to his graduate studies. On a team note, getting playoff rival Pitt State in for the dome opener was as much as you could hope for. But when QB Beachy was hurt, the air definitely left the FargoDome - good thing it was not the MetroDome.
Despite this injury, and the crowd quieting, the team responded and handled Pitt State.
What coulda been that season.....:(

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 05:38 PM
I seem to remember that Arden was on the cover of the Program for the opener. Result? Blown knee.
I believe Hyland blew out his knee in the opener the following season. He was on the cover too. I don't think anybody wanted their picture on the cover for the opener for a while.

It was 2005 when he blew it.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Deal. Hammersmith...can you give us a verdict?

What happened to the VHS? Could have sworn you got a bunch of those classic games from the athletic department back the day. Hell, I still have an old VCR somewhere I could set up so we can settle it.

As an FYI, the reason I actually think I may be right about something is I was surprised when modern college overtime was implemented in 1996 that they decided to start from the 25 and not the 35. I liked the 35 as it made you get a few yards before you could kick a FG.

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
I've still got the VHS...just wanted to get it settled before tonight...and save me from finding the tape. I've done a little research and found this:

Overtime Procedure – NCAA Overtime The overtime rules in college (as well as high school and Canadian football) are called the overtime procedure or the Kansas Playoff. In this system, both teams receive a possession before the winner is determined.
In NCAA football, each team receives a possession starting at the defense’s 25-yard line. This possession takes place like any other, so the offense has 4 downs to make a first down or touchdown. If a first down is made, 4 more downs are allowed. The offense can also choose to attempt a field goal to acquire points. If a touchdown is scored, the scoring team can attempt a 1-point or 2-point conversion.
In this way, a team can score between 3 and 8 points on their possession. The winner is the team with the most points after each team has had a possession. If there is a tie, then each team receives another possession, and so on, until a winner is determined.
Variations on the Kansas Playoff Rules In college football, the starting possession line is the 25 yard line. In Canadian football, it is the 35-yard line. In most high school games, it is the 10 yard line, though some states allow the local authorities to set other starting lines.

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/terms/overtime/

I know the rules were officially adopted in 1996, but that was for regular season games. They just adopted the playoff format which had been previously used. No conflicting articles can be found since there never was a different set of rules. Since I cannot get a specific account of that game, I will dig out the tape. I want that case of beer. I want it bad. :D :cheers:

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 06:45 PM
I've still got the VHS...just wanted to get it settled before tonight...and save me from finding the tape. I've done a little research and found this:

Overtime Procedure – NCAA Overtime The overtime rules in college (as well as high school and Canadian football) are called the overtime procedure or the Kansas Playoff. In this system, both teams receive a possession before the winner is determined.
In NCAA football, each team receives a possession starting at the defense’s 25-yard line. This possession takes place like any other, so the offense has 4 downs to make a first down or touchdown. If a first down is made, 4 more downs are allowed. The offense can also choose to attempt a field goal to acquire points. If a touchdown is scored, the scoring team can attempt a 1-point or 2-point conversion.
In this way, a team can score between 3 and 8 points on their possession. The winner is the team with the most points after each team has had a possession. If there is a tie, then each team receives another possession, and so on, until a winner is determined.
Variations on the Kansas Playoff Rules In college football, the starting possession line is the 25 yard line. In Canadian football, it is the 35-yard line. In most high school games, it is the 10 yard line, though some states allow the local authorities to set other starting lines.

http://www.footballbabble.com/football/terms/overtime/

I know the rules were officially adopted in 1996, but that was for regular season games. They just adopted the playoff format which had been previously used. No conflicting articles can be found since there never was a different set of rules. Since I cannot get a specific account of that game, I will dig out the tape. I want that case of beer. I want it bad. :D :cheers:

None of what you have found so far is in dispute. My argument is that is was changed to the 25 later after this game happened. It was probably a playoff only rule at that time since overtime was uncommon.

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 07:41 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=north dakota state pittsburg state overtime&source=web&cd=27&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAGOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fni d%3D1842%26dat%3D19921129%26id%3DplAeAAAAIBAJ%26sj id%3DWscEAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D4064%2C4572649&ei=dpRsUIaqNNCD0QGL9YDgBA&usg=AFQjCNEV9Yh3I797kSu65d1ZYWyiOmgHGQ

Do you concede?

This was from the '92 season. I can't believe they would have had the 25 yd line start in the '92 playoffs, and go to the 35 in 94, and then go back to the 25.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 07:49 PM
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=north dakota state pittsburg state overtime&source=web&cd=27&cad=rja&ved=0CEAQFjAGOBQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnews.google.com%2Fnewspapers%3Fni d%3D1842%26dat%3D19921129%26id%3DplAeAAAAIBAJ%26sj id%3DWscEAAAAIBAJ%26pg%3D4064%2C4572649&ei=dpRsUIaqNNCD0QGL9YDgBA&usg=AFQjCNEV9Yh3I797kSu65d1ZYWyiOmgHGQ

Do you concede?

This was from the '92 season. I can't believe they would have had the 25 yd line start in the '92 playoffs, and go to the 35 in 94, and then go back to the 25.

I will concede that this must have been the rule for 1992, but do not concede on 1994 which is what I am arguing about. I will trust your word after you review the VHS.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM

Do you concede?

By the way, it was interesting to read that Beachy had a 26 yard pass in OT for a touchdown. Now, they could have lost a yard on the first two plays, or perhaps it should have said 35......

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I will concede that this must have been the rule for 1992, but do not concede on 1994 which is what I am arguing about. I will trust your word after you review the VHS.
Hahahahaha, this is funny stuff. You think they may have had the current system in place, and then changed it for something like one year, and then came back to the current system? That's rich. Yes, I review since you can't admit you are wrong. I will REALLY enjoy that case of beer.

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Hahahahaha, this is funny stuff. You think they may have had the current system in place, and then changed it for something like one year, and then came back to the current system? That's rich. Yes, I review since you can't admit you are wrong. I will REALLY enjoy that case of beer.

Read my latest post. The plot thickened and it very well could have been a writing error.

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Read my latest post. The plot thickened and it very well could have been a writing error.hahahahaha...writing error. Good one! Is this any kind of beer we want or are we sticking with Bud Light/Miller light kind of beer?

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
hahahahaha...writing error. Good one! Is this any kind of beer we want or are we sticking with Bud Light/Miller light kind of beer?

So, you think Arden Beachy and a veer offense lost a yard in two plays? I think not. I think they had already gained 9 yards and then threw the touchdown on a 3rd and 1. (Caught them off guard.) Makes sense to me. By the way, I am going for expensive beer. :)

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
So, you think Arden Beachy and a veer offense lost a yard in two plays? I think not. I think they had already gained 9 yards and then threw the touchdown on a 3rd and 1. (Caught them off guard.) Makes sense to me. By the way, I am going for expensive beer. :)I think they had a holding, ran the ball, and ended up throwing long pass partially based on desperation.

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 08:21 PM
I think they had a holding, ran the ball, and ended up throwing long pass partially based on desperation.

Wheres CaBison...doesnt he have all this stuff on film somewhere?

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Wheres CaBison...doesnt he have all this stuff on film somewhere?I pm'd him, but he never responded. I was hoping to not have to find the vhs tape...

abc123
10-03-2012, 08:44 PM
By the way, it was interesting to read that Beachy had a 26 yard pass in OT for a touchdown. Now, they could have lost a yard on the first two plays, or perhaps it should have said 35......
Not to rain on your parade (nor am I sure of the rules from then) but two paragraphs before that, the article says that "The Gorillas had the ball first on the 25-yard line..."

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 08:45 PM
I pm'd him, but he never responded. I was hoping to not have to find the vhs tape...

But I do enjoy seeing TAB so excited for free beer. The reality is the anticipation of winning the free beer is better than the beer itself!

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 08:51 PM
But I do enjoy seeing TAB so excited for free beer. The reality is the anticipation of winning the free beer is better than the beer itself!I lost one bet to you over this game in college...this is payback.

LikeMothers
10-03-2012, 09:12 PM
TAB and TSCF have been cast to play the barber shop argument guys in Coming to America 2.

http://kellimarshall.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/1180303315_52.gif

THEsocalledfan
10-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I lost one bet to you over this game in college...this is payback.

What was the argument that time? Did we have beer on the line?

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 09:21 PM
What was the argument that time? Did we have beer on the line?Beer on the line. It had to do with the big pass to Artz. I swear it was something as stupid as what side of the field it was on. I believe the bet was a beer. Now I shall finally have my revenge...18 years later. Man, that is really sad...

TransAmBison
10-03-2012, 10:44 PM
TAB's belief is confirmed. Checked the dvd (courtesy of CABison) and both offenses start the overtime on 25 yard line.

I will take a case of Summit Oktoberfest. It has been a pleasure.

BisonTeacher
10-03-2012, 11:00 PM
TAB's belief is confirmed. Checked the dvd (courtesy of CABison) and both offenses start the overtime on 25 yard line.

So my original statement was correct as well. :hide:

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2012, 02:29 AM

Okay. nice work. You have a paypal or amazon payment account? Or coming to Sioux Falls for the game oct 20?

56BISON73
10-04-2012, 02:33 AM
TAB and TSCF have been cast to play the barber shop argument guys in Coming to America 2.

:rofl::rofl:

bkit29
10-04-2012, 02:45 AM

"He kicked Joe Lewis's ass!"

TransAmBison
10-04-2012, 03:09 AM
Okay. nice work. You have a paypal or amazon payment account? Or coming to Sioux Falls for the game oct 20?You can just pay up the next home game you make it to. Sound fair? Sadly, I will not be making it to the USD game...the wife has to work and I got the kids by myself.

AjaxTheMighty
10-04-2012, 03:18 AM
I remember in college TAB's all time favorite player was Israel Moses!! It was always Israel this and Israel that!!! True story!!!! Hahahahaha

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2012, 03:36 AM
You can just pay up the next home game you make it to. Sound fair? Sadly, I will not be making it to the USD game...the wife has to work and I got the kids by myself.

Hoping to go to Oct 13 but still short a bunch of tickets.....

56BISON73
10-04-2012, 04:04 AM
Hoping to go to Oct 13 but still short a bunch of tickets.....

Too bad you couldnt trade all those traveling hacking points for season tickets.:biggrin:

TransAmBison
10-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Hoping to go to Oct 13 but still short a bunch of tickets.....Don't tell me you wouldn't come anyway. Tailgate and have a good time and maybe pick up some tickets in the west lot. Besides, we've got friends coming...the game is second to them anyway...

THEsocalledfan
10-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Don't tell me you wouldn't come anyway. Tailgate and have a good time and maybe pick up some tickets in the west lot. Besides, we've got friends coming...the game is second to them anyway...

Yes, I am sure I will be going regardless, but I NEED THOSE DAMN TICKETS!

tcbison
10-04-2012, 01:32 PM
Back to the topic. Congrats to Arden Beachy on the Hall of Fame.

roadwarrior
10-05-2012, 07:14 PM
I hope Kevin Schrumpf wasn't as the Hall of Fame lunch today. If so, all hell might break loose again. Someone said "s___ suck".