PDA

View Full Version : Safety Concerns

Bison Dan
09-30-2012, 04:13 PM
I thought that uni picked on our new safety a lot. Most of their big plays were on him IMO. We need to get Shepherd schooled up better.

Bison"FANatic"
09-30-2012, 04:20 PM
I totally agree. He was just out of position and looked like he was thinking and not reacting, like the game has not slowed down for him. Hopefully with more and more reps he gets more comfortable.

Question do we have any redshirt freshmen or other younger guys that may be coming along well at that position?

BisonNeil
09-30-2012, 04:31 PM
To be honest, I always thought Ollman was a better SS against the pass then Heagle, who is more of a run stopper. I really think Ollman needs to start against Hess. Shepherd did not play well, but neither did Dudzik or Martin. Even Marcus got picked on a couple of times. But you are both right, the DBs have to play a LOT better for NDSU to be successful against YSU and the pass rush has to get better as well. I was not impressed with the DL. They got gashed in the middle, but perhaps that is because Perry got hurt. Anybody know the status of his wrist/arm injury?

HandoEX
09-30-2012, 04:32 PM
Why isn't Bobby Ollman playing more? Plenty of experience at SS with him!

Tatanka
09-30-2012, 04:35 PM
To be honest, I always thought Ollman was a better SS against the pass then Heagle, who is more of a run stopper. I really think Ollman needs to start against Hess. Shepherd did not play well, but neither did Dudzik or Martin. Even Marcus got picked on a couple of times. But you are both right, the DBs have to play a LOT better for NDSU to be successful against YSU and the pass rush has to get better as well. I was not impressed with the DL. They got gashed in the middle, but perhaps that is because Perry got hurt. Anybody know the status of his wrist/arm injury?I think our d line is just fine. Uni has a fantastic o line.

THEsocalledfan
09-30-2012, 04:47 PM
I think our d line is just fine. Uni has a fantastic o line.

You have forgotten the fundamental rule that the other team never is responsible for anything your favorite team struggles with. Get it straight. You have forgotten the face of your father.

A1pigskin
09-30-2012, 05:12 PM
This is where UNI came up with many big plays. Marcus got back with a interception.

CaBisonFan
09-30-2012, 05:29 PM
We were more focused on the run, I believe. Their offensive line pass-blocked extremely well. Their QB is going to be very good.

UNI was a playoff-caliber team...meaning, compared to teams we played last December.

I'm just glad that we escaped Cedar Falls with a win...any kind of win. Upset was in the air. Some of our leaders 'willed' it not to happen.

Our offense played a nearly perfect game...held onto the ball with nice drives. Brock is a great field leader.

A1pigskin
09-30-2012, 05:35 PM
We were more focused on the run, I believe. Their offensive line pass-blocked extremely well. Their QB is going to be very good.

UNI was a playoff-caliber team...meaning, compared to teams we played last December.

I'm just glad that we escaped Cedar Falls with a win...any kind of win. Upset was in the air. Some of our leaders 'willed' it not to happen.

Our offense played a nearly perfect game...held onto the ball with nice drives. Brock is a great field leader.

Totally agree.

gizmo
09-30-2012, 05:38 PM
UNI tried to exploit our safeties and it worked to some extent. In the end, however, their strategy didn't work as they got beat decisively. The UNI game should be a great learning experience for NDSU's defensive backfield

CaBisonFan
09-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Kollmorgan had a lot of time to throw. D-backs kind of got hung out to dry once in a while.

Kermit
09-30-2012, 05:56 PM
Kollmorgan had a lot of time to throw. D-backs kind of got hung out to dry once in a while.

True. UNI has a very good passing attack. Their line protects extremely well, they have a very good QB and very good receivers. Our D can play better.

CaBisonFan
09-30-2012, 05:59 PM
Also...this was a Colton Heagle type of game...very hard-nosed. We missed his piss-pounding attitude.

Travis Beck was a difference maker.

westnodak93bison
09-30-2012, 06:35 PM
I was really impressed with their pass protection. Imho we will have similar problems getting pressure on Hess since he will throw out of the shotgun often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Bisonwinagn
09-30-2012, 06:50 PM
The defense struggled at times, but UNI has a very good offense. However, one TD was in garbage time and another came after two major penalties on third down. If they fix those mistakes they would have only give up one TD which is rather impressive.

CaBisonFan
09-30-2012, 07:06 PM
One of the biggest plays of the game was Brett LeMaster getting hurt. They missed him.

I'm not an advocate of hurting players to gain the advantage...but it happened. No one's fault.

KilldeerBison
09-30-2012, 07:29 PM
I think our d line is just fine. Uni has a fantastic o line.

I agree, UNI had a really good O-line, their QB and WR's were pretty good also.

BadlandsBison
09-30-2012, 07:36 PM
I'm actually a little jealous of uni's offensive line. Marcus didn't look like superman and our pass rush looked feeble for 80% of the game. And honestly I don't know if we could beat ysu with that sort of performance

BlueBisonRock
09-30-2012, 07:41 PM
I'm actually a little jealous of uni's offensive line. Marcus didn't look like superman and our pass rush looked feeble for 80% of the game. And honestly I don't know if we could beat ysu with that sort of performance

Our Dline did have its moments of brilliance though the UNI Oline was excellent (check photos later). Look at the stat line to really understand the job our defense did against UNI.

stevdock
09-30-2012, 09:12 PM

All the more reason to have a crazy good DOME field advantage next weekend. Also very thankful we have them at home instead of on the road. As for UNI I would not be surprised at all if they finish 7-4 and then the AD/powers that be should be under fire for putting the football team with their back to the wall before the season even started.

ndsubison1
09-30-2012, 09:32 PM
To be honest, I always thought Ollman was a better SS against the pass then Heagle, who is more of a run stopper. I really think Ollman needs to start against Hess. Shepherd did not play well, but neither did Dudzik or Martin. Even Marcus got picked on a couple of times. But you are both right, the DBs have to play a LOT better for NDSU to be successful against YSU and the pass rush has to get better as well. I was not impressed with the DL. They got gashed in the middle, but perhaps that is because Perry got hurt. Anybody know the status of his wrist/arm injury?

also didnt help that we didnt get much pressure on the qb early in the game

CaBisonFan
09-30-2012, 09:38 PM
UNI's athleticism on offense was impressive. Losing LeMaster hurt them.

HerdBot
09-30-2012, 11:09 PM

The UNI offense is prolific. Only 1 team this year held them to less than 21 points and that was Iowa. Actually going back 5 years you can count the number of times UNI was held to less than 21 points on 1 hand.

BisonNeil
10-01-2012, 12:13 AM

I think Craig Haley of TSN said it best "The defense has been great the last two seasons, but quarterback Brock Jensen's continued development can't be understated.

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/writers/infcshuddle/index.htm

BisonNeil
10-01-2012, 12:15 AM
I was really impressed with their pass protection. Imho we will have similar problems getting pressure on Hess since he will throw out of the shotgun often.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

And as I pointed out in another thread, he has only been sacked twice in 4 games. But, they don't have to sack him, they just need to put pressure on him. Regardless, the DL will have a significant challenge.

BisonNeil
10-01-2012, 12:17 AM
All the more reason to have a crazy good DOME field advantage next weekend. Also very thankful we have them at home instead of on the road.

I dunno about that. In the four games NDSU has played YSU the home team has only won once, and that was YSU at home in 2008.

stevdock
10-01-2012, 01:20 AM
I dunno about that. In the four games NDSU has played YSU the home team has only won once, and that was YSU at home in 2008.

I fully remember that, but it's always more fun being at the game instead of yelling at the tv

Tatanka
10-01-2012, 03:52 AM
All the more reason to have a crazy good DOME field advantage next weekend. Also very thankful we have them at home instead of on the road. As for UNI I would not be surprised at all if they finish 7-4 and then the AD/powers that be should be under fire for putting the football team with their back to the wall before the season even started. I'd be very surprised if they go 7-4. Wouldn't shock me to see them lose two more games. They're playing for pride, and they know it.

HerdBot
10-01-2012, 05:19 PM
I rewatched the game and our defensive line was very good. Looks like someone lost gap control up on a long run we allowed. It's hard to see on tv but it looked like most pass plays were a 2 or 3 step drop out of shotgun. No chance to get pressure. The few times they went deep they were in max protect. Their receivers did a good job of sprinting out to some open holes in the secondary. Looked like a zone. The only way we could have stopped it is to go straight man coverage but of course you have a chance of giving up a bit play. I think the refs helped out with penalties on UNI's first TD and the PI call on Shepherd was BS. The helmet to helmet was iffy too. Good learning experience. We really held them to 2 TD's.

X-Factor
10-02-2012, 01:32 AM
Right after the game i thought that the secondary did not perform well. however, the defense is actually performing very good! If you look at the stats from last year, we gave up more passing yards and total yards; at a game that was played on our turf in the fargodome. This year UNI clearly has a better offense, specifically a much better passing offense, and we held them to 285 total, with a solid chunk of that in garbage time. By the end of the season you will be looking at an extremely good defense, plus an offense that can put up points which may be the biggest benefit for the defense.

Next year could REALLY be something special if the guys keep their head in the game. As much fun as we all are having this year, I hope you all realize the magnitude of next years team's potential. It is truly off the charts. For now, Youngstown should make for one heck of a challenge and a very entertaining homecoming!

56BISON73
10-02-2012, 02:37 AM
Our Rt o-tackle was getting beat on the pass rush. He needs to get the rusher pushed to the outside and not let him around the edge-corner as he did last week. Brock took some hits that he didnt need to. You can bet YSU will see this and try to exploit it.

HerdBot
10-02-2012, 02:40 AM
Right after the game i thought that the secondary did not perform well. however, the defense is actually performing very good! If you look at the stats from last year, we gave up more passing yards and total yards; at a game that was played on our turf in the fargodome. This year UNI clearly has a better offense, specifically a much better passing offense, and we held them to 285 total, with a solid chunk of that in garbage time. By the end of the season you will be looking at an extremely good defense, plus an offense that can put up points which may be the biggest benefit for the defense.

Next year could REALLY be something special if the guys keep their head in the game. As much fun as we all are having this year, I hope you all realize the magnitude of next years team's potential. It is truly off the charts. For now, Youngstown should make for one heck of a challenge and a very entertaining homecoming!

And with our offense rolling we really kept the defense fresh.