PDA

View Full Version : Coach Mason......

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 07:31 PM
was fired today. (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2715640)

NDSUguy
12-31-2006, 07:36 PM
I guess that this means that the goofers have a chance against us next year!!!! ;D ;D ;D

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Anyone thinking what I am....maybe one or two of those Minnesota verbals waver a bit and we snap 'em up? Probably not, but I'll continue dreaming. Mason deserved to be canned. He was hired to revive the program into a competitive team in the Big Ten, didn't do it. Time for someone else to give it a shot.

kchats
12-31-2006, 07:51 PM
I hope they don't go after Coach Bohl is what I'm thinking. Maybe we should start a Dale Lennon as coach of the Gophers campaign. :o

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-31-2006, 07:59 PM
I'm not sure that Minnesota is really going to look at Bohl or vice versa. I think that to leave right now would take an offer from a better program than Minnesota, or at least I hope so.

NDSUstudent
12-31-2006, 08:39 PM
Bohl may get a look but lets wait until his name is mentioned by the UMN AD before getting too worked up about it.

Tatanka
12-31-2006, 08:53 PM
I guess that this means that the goofers have a chance against us next year!!!! * ;D ;D ;D
++ Dammit! >:( ;D

2006gwfcchamps
12-31-2006, 09:22 PM
Anyone thinking what I am....maybe one or two of those Minnesota verbals waver a bit and we snap 'em up? *

Worst case scenario:

Bohl is hired at MN as HC.

Bohl fires entire MN staff and hires entire NDSU staff.

Bohl takes the best of the current 07 NDSU recruits with him to MN.

*gulp*

Bison_Dan
12-31-2006, 09:35 PM
Anyone thinking what I am....maybe one or two of those Minnesota verbals waver a bit and we snap 'em up? *

Worst case scenario:

Bohl is hired at MN as HC.

Bohl fires entire MN staff and hires entire NDSU staff.

Bohl takes the best of the current 07 NDSU recruits with him to MN.

*gulp*

I think coach Bohl is safe. Over on the gopherhole his name never has come up. There looking for a big time head coach if they can find one.

2006gwfcchamps
12-31-2006, 09:40 PM
All programs want the biggest and best coach they can afford.

And that's another point. Even though Mason was fired, he still gets millions of dollars in payout money from the contract.

Can the Goofs afford a big time coach?

Is there a big time coach that wants to take on that big of a challenge?

About the only guy that comes to mind would be Dungy, but he'd have to be fired from Indy (which I suppose is possible if they flop in the 1st round). Who else out there is big time and a MN alum?

To me, all those things point directly to a guy like Bohl. And no doubt he turned heads down in the Dome last season.

I mean, he could even take out strength coach and equipment manager down there with him. Just totally clean house at both UM and NDSU.

That's scary.

kchats
12-31-2006, 09:51 PM
Maybe Mike Tice can come back and save the day. ::)

NDSUstudent
12-31-2006, 09:56 PM
Bohl is a darkhorse, Minnesota will first look at finding a big name guy and since Maturi needs to hit a homerun they will figure out a way to pay for the guy if they find one interested in the job. If that falls through they will look at the top WAC/MAC/CUSA coaches, guys like Mike Price at UTEP. If that falls through they will look at cordinators at the top BCS schools. After that comes Bohl and if he does leave I doubt he cleans house at NDSU since he has a ton of connections across college football and could afford to pay guys good money to be assistants at UM which is something he can't do here. I also would expect Garza to get a strong look at HC if Bohl leaves which is a longshot IMO.

kchats
12-31-2006, 10:10 PM
Bobby Petrino from Louisville, the TCU coach, June Jones with Hawaii, Pat Hill of Fresno State, Bobby Hauck of Montana, the defensive coordinator from Ohio State (helps two ways; weakens a conference member and gets a guy from a great program), Bob Babich ;) ;), Norm Chow, Dennis Green, Jim Mora, Bill Cowher ;). Seriously they need to look for someone alot like Coach Bohl that knows what he wants the team to be like and what systems he wants to run. I like the way NDSU plays with great defense, strong running game and efficient passing game. I think that is the easiest way to be consistently successful in college football. Build the offensive and defensive lines get a great running back and a smart and accurate QB that is a great leader.

RodentiaX1
12-31-2006, 10:25 PM
Bohl's name does get mentioned on Gopherhole, but most people there are clammoring for a "Big Name" coach. Maturi, the Gophers AD has been feeling some heat himself - firing Monson and Mason is, to some extent, protecting his own position. Hiring a big name coach is safe for Maturi, it avoids heavy scrutiny for a while. But it may not be the best move - lots of "big name" coaches flop at new positions. Sometimes they succeeded only because of the system (easy to recruit for the top schools), or had huge athletic budgets to work with. Sometimes it is like hiring an old veteran free agent, it sometimes is a mistake because they are washed up. Plus, a big name coach will require big name money, and the Gophers are paying a big payout to fire Mason.

Hiring Bohl would be a risky move and would raise eyebrows among the ignorant. But I think it would be a good move for Minnesota. If you can go 11-1 and be ranked #4 in I-AA with a team that's not even playoff elligible, that's something that should merit some serious attention.

sambini
12-31-2006, 10:26 PM
Maturi was on FSN they want the right fit .And need to get this done asap also as signing day is at the end of the month. I talked to Coach Wash he was in Florida visiting COACH Bradley. He was a bit surprised by the firing. Well we see what happens now he told me. I think Coach Bohl will stay. I think Maturi will go after a big name. They also had to buy out Masons deal of 4 million I believe also give or take a few bucks. It will be fun the next few weeks.

Buff01
12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
Coach Bohl has the same chance of becoming the next Gophers FB coach as our basketball team has of making the NIT - ZERO! If Maturi made this hire he would be fired.

RodentiaX1
12-31-2006, 10:49 PM
I don't think that Mason's firing will harm Minnesota's recruiting. I think it will help, actually. It was just one too many times that defeat has been snatched from the jaws of victory, and Mason lost his credibility. I do think that the decision on the new coach has to be made fairly soon, uncertainty isn't good. But Mason's firing does effectively change the subject away from the Bowl game collapse, and that's a good thing. The next coach will have to be someone who knows the meaning of the word "defense".

kchats
12-31-2006, 10:55 PM
I'll be much happier after all the division I head coaching positions are filled. If a coach from a decent lower level gets hired at a BCS school that creates another opening that needs to be filled and the dominoes all fall down. Gary Barnett is out there but that hire would surely get the AD fired. I think David Shula would be a good hire.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 11:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that Coach Bohl will stay at NDSU. Like I have said sooo many times before, he is committed to BISON football. You want to be somewhere where the fans will love you and not only love you because you win a game and hate you when you lose. He has that here in Fargo.

Gully
01-01-2007, 12:19 AM
Maturi is an idiot...he'll make another shitty decision and hire a "name" coach like Dennis Green or something. Coach Bohl is safe, although if they were smart they'd go after him.

2006gwfcchamps
01-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Well I'm glad you guys are all so sure.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 12:32 AM
Dont forget about Montana's coach. Minnesota could also be looking at him.

Coach_W
01-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Coach Bohl has the same chance of becoming the next Gophers FB coach as our basketball team has of making the NIT - ZERO! If Maturi made this hire he would be fired.

100% agreed

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Why would someone want to go there with their fans even doing this? (http://www.fireglenmason.blogspot.com/) ;D ;D

Snoop-a-Loop
01-01-2007, 12:53 AM
Frank Solich will be mentioned.

2006gwfcchamps
01-01-2007, 01:00 AM
Check out this thread:

http://p218.ezboard.com/OH-MY-WORD/fthehole84398frm7.showMessage?topicID=14322.topic

Some guys over there really hate Bohl. Not sure, perhaps they're still mad that NDSU won that game (I don't care what the score was).

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 01:28 AM
I think it is funny that one of the comments said Bohl would be a mediocre candidate for defensive coordinator at Minnesota. HA! What a joke. Do the fans at Minnesota realize that they are the university of Minnesota, not the university of Michigan? They are Big Ten cellar dwellers and they would be lucky to have Craig Bohl as their coach, as we currently are. I agree that Maturi, who is a bumbling fool will go after somebody who has more name recognition and wouldn't seriously consider Bohl for the job, but that doesn't mean it would be a bad move for them. Bohl would be a great fit there, but Gopher fans need to realize that even if the job were offered to Bohl that there is a realistic possibility that he wouldn't even be interested. Minnesota just isn't a premier coaching destination like some people on gopherhole seem to think it is.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 01:42 AM
Check out this thread:

http://p218.ezboard.com/OH-MY-WORD/fthehole84398frm7.showMessage?topicID=14322.topic

Some guys over there really hate Bohl. Not sure, perhaps they're still mad that NDSU won that game (I don't care what the score was).

That is horrible on what they said. "players have no respect for bohl." i have talked with Coach Bohl and he is a great guy and a great coach. Those goofer fans must have something blown up their ass.

RodentiaX1
01-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Too many on Gopherhole are dazzled by "big names", and would hire a washed up coach who was overrated in the first place just because of the "big name". They recoil from hiring a coach out of I-AA. Of course, one need only mention Ohio State hiring a head coach out of I-AA... worked out pretty well for them, hasn't it? If Bohl is hired, they will rend their clothes, and wear sackcloth and ashes in morning. Then when he turned the program around, they would retroactively have supported him all the time.

I doubt that Maturi will hire Bohl, but he would be wise to offer him the job. Perhaps Bison fans would support Bohl win or lose, but to be sure about that, you would have to have some bad years. If Bohl's teams made a habit of snatching defeat out of the hands of victory like Mason's teams, and his welcome would likely wear thin. I don't think there is much chance that this will happen with the Bison any time soon though. But I don't know if Bohl's support is as great as Joe Paterno's support is at Penn State. (Just an example of a coach who appears to have his job secure no matter how the team performs)

RodentiaX1
01-01-2007, 01:44 AM
I'm sure if you are looking to reinforce something you already believe, you can find someone who will tell you what you want to hear. I am sure you could have found former players who didn't respect Knute Rockne.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Maturi would be smart to offer Bohl the job....so he won't offer it to him.

Scooter
01-01-2007, 02:46 AM
I want them to take a month and a half to finally settle on a head coach. *This could turn out to be one of the best recruiting years that the Bison has ever had. *There is no doubt that the Gopher image got a huge black eye last weekend. *Is there anyone who truly wants the job at the U of M. *Talk about setting yourself up to fail.... *you inherit a bunch of guys who expect to give up leads, no matter how big those leads may be. *

I can see the add for the job now... *

Come to the U of M and throw your career in the crapper.

Mr._Burgundy
01-01-2007, 04:25 AM
Ricky...why do you always mention Frank Solich....how many times do I need to tell you that he is brutal. He can coach, but he cannot walk into your living room and get you to play for his program. Coaches need players. He can't get them. When Tom left Nebraska, so did the recruiting.....I am really hoping that we can sneak in and steal a recruit or two from "The U."

Swaghook
01-01-2007, 04:25 AM
If a BS school would be looking to snag a HC from a CS school wouldn't they be more interested App State's HC who led his team to back to back National Championships?

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 04:27 AM
Same with I am saying with Coach Hauck with Montana. Besides, why go after a CS coach when there are BS coaches who got fired this year. Apparently they are thinking of Larry Coker ::)

kchats
01-01-2007, 04:33 AM
The thing Coach Bohl has is he was the defensive coordinator for a very good Nebraska team that played in the national championship. He has also taken a division II program and built it into a powerhouse I-AA team that beat a I-A (Ball State) and dominated a I-A BCS school in Minnesota. I hope they pick someone else for all the reasons you are giving.

sambini
01-01-2007, 04:34 AM
How about a former player and alum like say Tony Dungy? If things don't go right in INDY you never know?

kchats
01-01-2007, 04:36 AM
I think Dungy is an NFL guy just like Herm Edwards. Nick Saban is a college coach but not Dungy.

sambini
01-01-2007, 04:45 AM
Pete Carroll was an NFL guy to?

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 04:48 AM
yup. he used to be an assistant for Minnesota. Vikings that is.

kchats
01-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Dungy was a player as was Herm. *I don't think Carroll played in the NFL. *Carroll was thinking of bolting for Arizona but has decided against it. *Dungy has been successful in the NFL, Pete Carroll was average in the NFL.

Pete Carroll was the head coach in New England before Bill Parcells I believe. He never had a record better than 9-7.

sambini
01-01-2007, 04:53 AM
NEVER SAY NEVER HE IS A GOPHER ALUM? He will consulted about this job...

silkamilkamonico
01-01-2007, 05:21 AM
I do know that Coach Bohl is a top choice for a good majority of the boosters. and the next action they might take is making a push for his name to be brought up and to be heavily considered.

I understand that it is very likely that Bohl will not be their next coach or even a top choice, but those of you that same he won't even get a strong look are being ignorant, IMHO.

NDSUstudent
01-01-2007, 05:45 AM
“Coaches move because they’re frustrated where they are or they move because they feel like they have to make a move. I’m not in either of those situations,” Bohl said. “And people often look at these things and say, ‘Money has to be a big driving factor because there is so much money out there.’ Honestly, that’s not a real priority for me at this stage.”

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=142509&section=Columnists&columnist=M ike%20McFeely

I don't know if Bohl is a serious contender for the job or not but quotes like this make me wonder if he would even want the job. He likes it here in Fargo and really he does have a good thing going here and some unfinished goals left to achieve.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 05:48 AM
THAT IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN SAYING! ;D ;D ;D

"I coached because I loved coaching. Not for the money."

-Lou Holtz

ccrider
01-01-2007, 05:51 AM
What about Dale Lennon....he's built quite a little dynasty up there in Grand Forks. I think he could do it.

RodentiaX1
01-01-2007, 06:45 AM
I don't think this will have any effect on NDSU's recruiting. A recruit who chooses not to come to Minnesota because of Mason getting fired is most likely going to choose to attend another I-A school.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 07:11 AM
What about Dale Lennon....he's built quite a little dynasty up there in Grand Forks. *I think he could do it.

He just hasnt proven himself against the big time opponents. DII is MUCH DIFFERENT than FBS. And I dont consider und as a dynasty.

Bison_Dan
01-01-2007, 01:27 PM
What about Dale Lennon....he's built quite a little dynasty up there in Grand Forks. *I think he could do it.

Grand Valley is a dynasty - UND wants to be one.

Bison_Kent
01-01-2007, 03:22 PM
I think Minnesota will go after a proven I-A (now BCS) coach. Likely targets are former Nebraska Head Coach and current Ohio coach Frank Solich and fired Miami coach Larry Coker. I think most Gopher alums want a big name coach and either of these two would provide that.

Snoop-a-Loop
01-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Burgundy....my point is that Frank Solich would be considered for the job before Craig Bohl. Both coaches run the exact same offense and defense. And the Solich has much more head coaching experience.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Reports: Alabama to offer Saban $40M deal (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6322866)
:o :o That is a lot of money. If that doesnt get him to go back to college then nothing will.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Dale Lennon, seriously? *If Minnesota wouldn't hire Craig Bohl what makes you think they would have even the slightest bit of interest in Dale Lennon? *Zero chance of this happening.

In spite of some of the disciplinary problems he had at Miami, I think Larry Coker would be an outstanding hire for the Gophers if they could get him.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Reports: Alabama to offer Saban $40M deal (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6322866)
:o :o That is a lot of money. If that doesnt get him to go back to college then nothing will.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2716394

ESPN is reporting this as well. How desperate is Alabama right now? They get turned down by everybody and his brother, find their guy in Rich Rodriguez and then he bails on them to stay at his alma mater. When you can't solve the problem any other way, just throw money at it I guess.

Mr._Burgundy
01-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Ricky....just buy me a scotch and never mention Solich again...although the Star Tribune mentions him today as does KFAN. Great. He couldn't get a kid to play in Lincoln (one of the best atmospheres in college FB) let alone the Fargodome South....err....Metrodome. I do understand where you are coming from. He is a great coach and needs great assistants who can recruit. Senile Sid stated today that if Sabin doesn't take the Bama job that he thinks Mason will get offered. Is he for real?????

semobison
01-01-2007, 04:34 PM
I agree with Bison Kent. Minnesota will be looking for a high profile guy with BCS experience. Their problem is: Will the people they are looking at want the job? Wisconon is the only team that has busted up the Ohio State-Michigan domination of the Big Ten in the last 40 YEARS. High profile coaches will dont take positions where their chances of success are minimal. They could end up with their 5th or 6th guy on their list or worse.

BisonMav
01-01-2007, 04:57 PM
I agree with Bison Kent. Minnesota will be looking for a high profile guy with BCS experience. Their problem is: Will the people they are looking at want the job? Wisconon is the only team that has busted up the Ohio State-Michigan domination of the Big Ten in the last 40 YEARS. High profile coaches will dont take positions where their chances of success are minimal. They could end up with their 5th or 6th guy on their list or worse.

Talk in the Twin Cities is they doubt a high profile BCS guy would come to Minnesota, except maybe Lou Holtz. *Lots of talk about Bohl, he knows the recruiting area, experience in the BCS with Nebraska, etc. *I am nervious that they will go after Bohl. *Solich also has been mentioned. *Bohl is a much more dynamic personality than Solich.

kchats
01-01-2007, 07:35 PM
Burgundy....my point is that Frank Solich would be considered for the job before Craig Bohl. *Both coaches run the exact same offense and defense. *And the Solich has much more head coaching experience. *

Solich only runs the same offense as Coach Bohl because he hired Coach Bohl's coordinators. He scapegoated Coach Bohl for his inept offense and they stole his coordinators. Jimmy Burrow as offensive coordinator and Tim Albin as offensive coordinator. Ohio had a good season this year and made it to a the MAC Championship game, he may do OK at Minnesota. Once he finally scrapped the option it makes it easier to recruit.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
I am starting to think more and more that Larry Coker is going to play a significant part in this search. Just a hunch, but I think it could happen. And for the record, Wisconsin is not the only team that competes with Michigan and Ohio State for the Big Ten Title. In the last 20 years there have been seven teams that have earned a share of a Big Ten title who were not Mich. or Ohio St. Actually, since 1986 Michigan and Ohio St have won a share of the title 18 times and the rest of the league has won a share of it 17 times. Pretty much what you'd expect from a league with two dominant teams. Also, Northwestern grabbed a piece of the title 3 times and Illinois did so twice, so a good coach won't necessarily be turned away because he thinks he can't win a Conference title because of the big two.

kchats
01-01-2007, 07:39 PM
Purdue has also done well. Joe Glenn has positioned himself for a job like this. Glenn's problem is he is more of a west coast mountain area guy that recruits Colorado, Arizona, Wyoming and Montana.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 07:47 PM
What is interesting about this opening is the vast number of ways they could decide to go with it. They could possibly snag a big name coach, go the 1-AA route or pick a coach from the ranks of a lesser 1-A team or a Big Ten coordinator.

Mr._Bill
01-01-2007, 08:51 PM
I am starting to think more and more that Larry Coker is going to play a significant part in this search. *Just a hunch, but I think it could happen. *And for the record, Wisconsin is not the only team that competes with Michigan and Ohio State for the Big Ten Title. *In the last 20 years there have been seven teams that have earned a share of a Big Ten title who were not Mich. or Ohio St. *Actually, since 1986 Michigan and Ohio St have won a share of the title 18 times and the rest of the league has won a share of it 17 times. *Pretty much what you'd expect from a league with two dominant teams. *Also, Northwestern grabbed a piece of the title 3 times and Illinois did so twice, so a good coach won't necessarily be turned away because he thinks he can't win a Conference title because of the big two.

Larry Coker, give me a break. If you care at all about your reputation, you don't go that direction. Also, if you study Solich vs. Bohl, you put them both basically on the same level. And as for Dale Lennon, I would try to interview him for the bison job if Bohl ever left, although Dale would probably not interview now that und is going DI. I have a lot of respect for Dale Lennon.

NDSUFREAK10
01-01-2007, 09:56 PM
I wouldnt except Lennon as a head coach for the BISON. ;D ;) Besides, Coach Bohl inst going anywhere for a while. Let's keep that thinking!!

heymch86
01-01-2007, 11:14 PM
Larry Coker?? Remember the 1997 Gopher BBall team?? No way with the rep Coker has, is he going to be hired as coach of the gophs

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I am not going to say that hiring Coker would be a smart move. Not in any way, shape or form. Just that as things stand right now I would expect Maturi to make/attempt to make a strong push in that direction and who knows what could happen after that. As I said earlier somewhere, the interesting part of this search is the numerous number of ways they could go with it, and a large number of candidates that could fall into any of those categories. Also, don't give two craps about my reputation so I'll go wherever I want to.