PDA

View Full Version : The NFL and QB's (Steve Walker)

kchats
12-07-2006, 03:11 AM
This article tells me that Steve Walker deserves a shot at the NFL following next season (if he can stay healthy again). Steve has all the intangibles that make him a great QB for the Bison and I believe that will continue at the next level. He makes great decisions and throws on time. He also has the ability to make plays that help his team win. He is a winner and a playmaker.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=156394

Arm strength and physical skills almost always are overrated in quarterbacks. That's why players like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Trent Green and Jake Delhomme were undervalued.

NDSUguy
12-07-2006, 03:27 AM
sounds great but imo this is likely not going to happen. He has too many things stacked against him... besides he's only a junior now. Should we really even be talking about his "next level" chances?????

kchats
12-07-2006, 03:36 AM
Hey he will be a better QB next year with another year under his belt. He is also healthy and not rehabbing an injured knee this offseason. He should be stronger and better next season. He will also get to participate in the spring game and work with the new receivers. If he has another year like this year or better he should get a shot at the NFL.

WYOBISONMAN
12-07-2006, 04:52 AM
sounds great but imo this is likely not going to happen. *He has too many things stacked against him... *besides he's only a junior now. *Should we really even be talking about his "next level" chances?????

We are fans on a board.......so the answer is yes.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 05:26 AM
I think that, as much as I like and admire the guy, he is going to be a rookie FA who has to make a practice squad and battle to hang around. Not that he isn't as good as a lot of other guys, but the odds are really stacked against him.

TheDoctor
12-07-2006, 06:18 AM
I think that, as much as I like and admire the guy, he is going to be a rookie FA who has to make a practice squad and battle to hang around. *Not that he isn't as good as a lot of other guys, but the odds are really stacked against him.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BisonInTexas
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I will say that Walker does remind me a lot of Tony Romo - if he works hard, someone will stash him on a practice squad and groom him like Parcells did with Romo. *Who knows, maybe the Cowboys will be the team that signs him? *

Craig

NDSUguy
12-07-2006, 12:58 PM
I will say that Walker does remind me a lot of Tony Romo - if he works hard, someone will stash him on a practice squad and groom him like Parcells did with Romo. *Who knows, maybe the Cowboys will be the team that signs him? *

Craig

That maybe true. He may be a carbon copy of Romo. Unfortuantely, guys like Romo are few and far between in the NFL.

sambini
12-07-2006, 01:27 PM
sounds great but imo this is likely not going to happen. *He has too many things stacked against him... *besides he's only a junior now. *Should we really even be talking about his "next level" chances?????

We are fans on a board.......so the answer is yes.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Gamehunter
12-07-2006, 03:06 PM
I will say that Walker does remind me a lot of Tony Romo - if he works hard, someone will stash him on a practice squad and groom him like Parcells did with Romo. Who knows, maybe the Cowboys will be the team that signs him?

Craig

That maybe true. He may be a carbon copy of Romo. Unfortuantely, guys like Romo are few and far between in the NFL.

Romo won the payton his senior year at Eastern Illinois I believe. Lets hope Walker can walk down the same path!

his biggest competition for the payton next year might be Santos from UNH, and he doesn't have record breaking David Ball to throw to anymore.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 05:56 PM
While hopefully Walker follows a similar path to Romo, he is not in Romo's class athletically. He makes great decisions and just flat out knows how to play, but it can't be said that he is the same type of athlete Romo is. That is the problem for players like Walker: he is probably good enough to warrant a chance on a practice squad and he makes great decisions, but he doesn't have any of the eye-popping tools that blind scouts and make them drool.

IowaBisonToo
12-07-2006, 07:06 PM
While hopefully Walker follows a similar path to Romo, he is not in Romo's class athletically. *He makes great decisions and just flat out knows how to play, but it can't be said that he is the same type of athlete Romo is. *That is the problem for players like Walker: he is probably good enough to warrant a chance on a practice squad and he makes great decisions, but he doesn't have any of the eye-popping tools that blind scouts and make them drool.
How do you make a case for him to a team, though? Take for instance Todd Bouman out of St Cloud State a few years back. Was he really that good? Probably not. He did have a decent supporting wide receiver and running back but athletically, he wasn't anything super. I'd say Walker is just as good or better. Problem is, you need somebody to do what the Vikes did and sign him to a free agent contract. At that point, hopefully he works his tail off and can get on the practice squad. Then with some luck and a few years, he ends up as a back-up and then under certain circumstances, plays a few games.

It takes a lot of luck. I'm sure there are many competent QBs that never get signed and if they do, never see any playing time in the NFL even though they may deserve it.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-07-2006, 07:08 PM
I completely agree. He is good but it is going to be kind of a crap shoot for him.

99Bison
12-08-2006, 01:47 AM
My biggest fear for him is that everyone says he doesn't look that good in practice, but game time he gets it done and has IT. It's impossible to show IT in practice.

That won't bode well for getting a chance beyond practice squad or 3rd QB in the NFL :-/

That being said I am a big Fan, and hope he gets a shot!

kchats
12-08-2006, 03:49 AM
Joe Montana wasn't even the starter at Notre Dame. Trent Green bounced around and waited 8 years for his shot. Green was even cut in the CFL. Green gets his shot and has his knee blown out on a cheap shot in the preseason only to watch Kurt Warner take his spot lead the Rams to the Super Bowl win and win MVP. Trent Green says perserverence and desire kept him in the hunt to finally have a team like the Chiefs. If somebody sees the way he understands the game and makes great decisions and plays he will be in a camp. Hey even third string NFL QBs make a ton of cash. I think he is good enough to get into a camp. He was the best QB on the field for every game NDSU played this year.

TransAmBison
12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
My biggest fear for him is that everyone says he doesn't look that good in practice, but game time he gets it done and has IT. It's impossible to show IT in practice.

That won't bode well for getting a chance beyond practice squad or 3rd QB in the NFL :-/

That being said I am a big Fan, and hope he gets a shot!
I don't think that problem of not looking good in practice is still a factor. I think he has had "it" in practices the last couple years.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
12-08-2006, 02:47 PM
While hopefully Walker follows a similar path to Romo, he is not in Romo's class athletically. *He makes great decisions and just flat out knows how to play, but it can't be said that he is the same type of athlete Romo is. *That is the problem for players like Walker: he is probably good enough to warrant a chance on a practice squad and he makes great decisions, but he doesn't have any of the eye-popping tools that blind scouts and make them drool.
How do you make a case for him to a team, though? *Take for instance Todd Bouman out of St Cloud State a few years back. *Was he really that good? *Probably not. *He did have a decent supporting wide receiver and running back but athletically, he wasn't anything super. *I'd say Walker is just as good or better. *Problem is, you need somebody to do what the Vikes did and sign him to a free agent contract. *At that point, hopefully he works his tail off and can get on the practice squad. *Then with some luck and a few years, he ends up as a back-up and then under certain circumstances, plays a few games.

It takes a lot of luck. *I'm sure there are many competent QBs that never get signed and if they do, never see any playing time in the NFL even though they may deserve it.

Todd Bouman was a superior athlete. He was a 3 sport star in high school, and I believe he played both Basketball and football at St Cloud State. He was all state in high school in both football and basketball. I think he won or placed in High Jump and Long Jump.

Walker is a great quarterback. I am not sure he is even in the same league as the "non-athlete" quarterbacks mentioned above (Montana,Brady,Warner etc...)

It will take lots of luck to land him in just the right spot

sambini
12-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Bouman and his brothers were also great fastpitch softball players. I belive they won a national title one summer.

CaBisonFan
12-09-2006, 06:38 AM
This article tells me that Steve Walker deserves a shot at the NFL following next season (if he can stay healthy again). *Steve has all the intangibles that make him a great QB for the Bison and I believe that will continue at the next level. *He makes great decisions and throws on time. *He also has the ability to make plays that help his team win. *He is a winner and a playmaker.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=156394

Arm strength and physical skills almost always are overrated in quarterbacks. That's why players like Joe Montana, Tom Brady, Tony Romo, Trent Green and Jake Delhomme were undervalued.

If Walker can stay healthy...he will get some kind of opportunity to be noticed. If the team is really strong...that will help also. If Steve can get to the right team with the right coach he might be looked at carefully. I think of him more like Drew Brees. Brees was a gutsy, smart, competitive QB at Purdue. It's taken him some time to develop into one of the better quarterbacks in the NFL. I think that they are in a similar class athletically. Walker can't be compared physically to very many NFL quarterbacks. Brees comes the closest.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-09-2006, 05:27 PM
He has all the mental and competitive requirements to play in the NFL, the only real question is whether he has the arm strength, height, and athleticism to get the job done. Remains to be seen.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 03:45 AM
This topic has gotten me thinking about this year's seniors that have a shot at getting NFL looks. I've come up with Frick and Steffes, but I don't really have enough up-close info on any of the other guys to make a very good assessment. Any others that anyone would think has a shot?

Gamehunter
12-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Not a whole lot of seniors this year, but Frick is probably the most likely. Craig Dahl might get a shot as well. Steffes really has an uphill battle, it seems RB's are about a dime a dozen these days with the 1000+ rushers at the I-A level getting the first looks.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Steffes does have a significant uphill battle on his hands, but I think he will at least be considered on some level. I hadn't thought of Dahl. Agreed though that this is a pretty thin class in terms of NFL potential.

met1990
12-10-2006, 09:01 AM
How many people think if Lamar Gordon would have concentrated with the CFL instead of the NFL, he would still be playing right now? I think that Ranek punk had things right. (SDSU sucks).

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 11:58 AM
He might still be playing but I'll guarantee you he came ou way ahead on the paychecks doing what he did. Plus, who has the goal to play in the CFL? You want to play in the NFL.

TransAmBison
12-10-2006, 03:21 PM
I was not a believer in Walker having a chance in the NFL until really late in this season. I still think it is an uphill climb all the way, but this guy continues to impress. I think he was a great quarterback before, but this year he brought his level of play up a notch. I think he will get a look. What he does with it, who knows.

sambini
12-10-2006, 03:34 PM
I have been fortunate to being on the sidelines a few times on roadtrips. This kid is the most even keeled. Nothing bothers him and he is one cool customer. If he is in the right plave and time you never know. I wish him luck because he is a first class individual. I think Justin Frick has a shot. Also Craig Dahl.

No_Skill
12-10-2006, 03:59 PM
We definatly need some more Bison in the NFL. I miss watching Lamar...not that there was much to see. What I mean is, he never got the opportunity to run behind a decent O Line.

Can't wait till the draft.

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Waiting for the NFL season to wrap up so nfldraftcountdown.com and espn.com will update their databases to include more guys, and especially more small school guys.

sambini
12-10-2006, 04:03 PM
Do you think Lamar is done? Been labeled as a fumbler and is injury prone. What do you guys think? It seems to me he has and doesn't get a look at all? I SURE HOPE HE MADE ENOUGH AND IS GOING TO GET SOME PENSION MONEY?

No_Skill
12-10-2006, 04:13 PM
Do you think Lamar is done? Been labeled as a fumbler and is injury prone. What do you guys think? It seems to me he has and doesn't get a look at all? I SURE HOPE HE MADE ENOUGH AND IS *GOING TO GET SOME PENSION MONEY?

Yep, he's done. That fumbler/injury prone stuff is a bunch of crap. He was never used properly and never ran behinde a line that could block anyone. I watched pretty much ever down he played and was constantly getting tackeled in the backfield milliseconds after taking the hand-off. Is that the runners fault? Hell no.

Not to mention the fact that he played behind Faulk and Westbrook and didn't see steady playtime. How can you get into any kind of rhythm if you aren't even involved in a series from start to finish much less a game?

He had skills and never got into the right situation to show them off. He had great hands as a receiver out of the backfield. I can only remember one time he missed a catch he should have made.

I wish he had been drafted or traded to Denver. He would have been a 1000 yard rusher easy.

BTW pension is in the bag. Not sure on specifics, but if he manages his money the right way, he's set for life.

P.S. I also read somewhere that he was planning on going back to school to finish his last semester and get his degree KUDOS LAMAR!!!

Trimmy
12-10-2006, 04:18 PM
Do you think Lamar is done? Been labeled as a fumbler and is injury prone. What do you guys think? It seems to me he has and doesn't get a look at all? I SURE HOPE HE MADE ENOUGH AND IS *GOING TO GET SOME PENSION MONEY?

Yep, he's done. *That fumbler/injury prone stuff is a bunch of crap. *He was never used properly and never ran behinde a line that could block anyone. *I watched pretty much ever down he played and was constantly getting tackeled in the backfield milliseconds after taking the hand-off. *Is that the runners fault? *Hell no. *

Not to mention the fact that he played behind Faulk and Westbrook and didn't see steady playtime. *How can you get into any kind of rhythm if you aren't even involved in a series from start to finish much less a game?

He had skills and never got into the right situation to show them off. *He had great hands as a receiver out of the backfield. *I can only remember one time he missed a catch he should have made.

I wish he had been drafted or traded to Denver. *He would have been a 1000 yard rusher easy.

BTW pension is in the bag. *Not sure on specifics, but if he manages his money the right way, he's set for life.

P.S. I also read somewhere that he was planning on going back to school to finish his last semester and get his degree *KUDOS LAMAR!!!

Back to NDSU? I was in a PE class with Lamar, let me tell ya', best wiffle ball player I've ever seen in my life, and I've seen some good ones!

No_Skill
12-10-2006, 04:30 PM
Actually, I think I read he would finish up online at home in Milwaukee. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Wiffle ball...that's great. ;D

kchats
12-11-2006, 01:21 AM
Steffes is a good solid back that plays hurt and doesn't fumble. I believe he will get a shot to at least be a backup in the NFL. If he works hard and continues to improve and flashes when given the opportunity he could shine as a role player short yardage guy. He would be a good guy for Denver's scheme as a short yardage guy.

mikelsch
12-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Walker and Parcells ---> sounds like a match made in heaven

Jeffdaryl3rd
12-31-2006, 04:40 PM
For whatever it is worth, ESPN's preliminary 2007 draft rankings are out. They have two NDSU players listed--Steffes and Dahl--and they both currently have a grade of 20 and are ranked in the 60-70 range at their respective positions. I'd expect that after the North-South type games get played the stuff will get updated and these two guys will at least get scouting reports.

NDSUFREAK10
12-31-2006, 04:53 PM
Walker and Parcells ---> sounds like a match made in heaven

oh yeah! ;D

West_River
12-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Is there a link to the ESPN's preliminary 2007 draft rankings?

Or how could I see that list?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-01-2007, 04:04 PM
http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/position?draftyear=2007

You have to be an insider to view the scouting reports, but that is where it is if you want to view it.

You can also get there from the NFL frontpage at espn.com. *Just go to the "More NFL" on the NFL menu bar at the top of the screen.

TAILG8R
01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Just a thought after reading a Vikings article today at startribune.com.

What about Walker to the Vikes. Childress has stated that they will not go after a QB (starter or backup) in free agency. Then he went on to say he would like to get a developmental guy, probably a late round draft pick.

You know he's a quarterback guru, he likes to mold them like clay ;)

Gamehunter
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Just a thought after reading a Vikings article today at startribune.com.

What about Walker to the Vikes. Childress has stated that they will not go after a QB (starter or backup) in free agency. Then he went on to say he would like to get a developmental guy, probably a late round draft pick.

You know he's a quarterback guru, he likes to mold them like clay ;)

like clay...hehe

Childress is most likely talking about the upcomming draft in april, and if we are talking about Walker we are a full year ahead of schedule....

TAILG8R
01-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Oh, yeah. I jumped the gun on that one. :-/ Well, there's always the next years darft.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-04-2007, 12:06 AM
Walker would probably have to be in a West Coast type of system that emphasizes the short passing game, accuracy, smarts, etc for him to really be successful. That is what Childress ran in Philly and now in Minnesota, so that might be an option when it comes to next year.