PDA

View Full Version : A must watch

rustywallace
09-11-2012, 11:32 PM
http://www2.prairiepublic.org/television/local-productions?post=44286

I may get slaughtered for posting this but PPB usally does a superb job on broadcasting past events.

Also for some of the new bison fans, the D-2 womens rivalry is also focused... My what a run that was.

loudsilverado
09-11-2012, 11:41 PM
Notice how the description says that we won 12 games in a row, but UND dominated us for a decade? I have a feeling the program is going to brag up UND.

bisonmike2
09-12-2012, 01:52 AM
Notice how the description says that we won 12 games in a row, but UND dominated us for a decade? I have a feeling the program is going to brag up UND.

Got the same feeling. I hope they focus on what's important. 9>1.

Thundering Herd
09-12-2012, 02:31 AM
reminder is set. sioux suck!

ndsubison1
09-12-2012, 07:34 AM
is this being made to encourage public sentiment to start up the rivalry in football again?

southcliffbison
09-12-2012, 11:46 AM
is this being made to encourage public sentiment to start up the rivalry in football again?

Even if it was made for that purpose, it probably won't do much good.

jimmyptubas
09-12-2012, 05:16 PM
I was told by the producer that for those of us out of state this will be streamed either on the website or on Prairie Public's youtube page. This is good news for people like me.

Gully
09-12-2012, 05:49 PM
I was told by the producer that for those of us out of state this will be streamed either on the website or on Prairie Public's youtube page. This is good news for people like me.

Will it be in HD?

Will it be on ESPN3?

:biggrin:

tony
09-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Got the same feeling. I hope they focus on what's important. 9>1.

Same feeling here. That's why I'm waiting for reviews from Bison fans to come in. I'm trying to keep an open mind but the overwhelming pro-UND media bias in North Dakota will probably rear its gap-toothed head once again*.

On the plus side, my expectations are so low that it'd be easy to be pleasantly surprised.

* Apologies to Heitkamp friends, fans, and family, but if there was be a poster child for anti-NDSU, anti-Fargo bias, Heitkamp definitely would be it.

BadlandsBison
09-12-2012, 07:27 PM
Same feeling here. That's why I'm waiting for reviews from Bison fans to come in. I'm trying to keep an open mind but the overwhelming pro-UND media bias in North Dakota will probably rear its gap-toothed head once again*.

On the plus side, my expectations are so low that it'd be easy to be pleasantly surprised.

* Apologies to Heitkamp friends, fans, and family, but if there was be a poster child for anti-NDSU, anti-Fargo bias, Heitkamp definitely would be it.

I like how you throw the apology out there, because Joel will never apologize for what he does to ndsu. By now he has probably taken Joe Chapman's picture off of his dart board, but immediately replaced it with pictures of Bohl, Gene, and probably president B. Or maybe get bought 2 more dart boards :)

Watch dog.....pffffft. 9>1

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

CaBisonFan
09-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Which is why I revised this old video about the rivalry. Check out the UND brand of sportsmanship at 3:13.

It demonstrates a common thread for them...which we are currently seeing in their whining about 'our' discipline problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9qIfTWnx1I

Bison03
09-12-2012, 09:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OohHzLa0EHQ

56BISON73
09-12-2012, 09:40 PM
This will certainly get the rivalry tongues wagging again.

EndZoneQB
09-13-2012, 01:04 AM
"Defines" two schools? Maybe defines one, and defined another. One has moved on and is still a winner.

BadlandsBison
09-13-2012, 01:06 AM
"Defines" two schools? Maybe defines one, and defined another. One has moved on and is still a winner.

Shya! We cut off the anchor and sailed away

BisonTeacher
09-13-2012, 01:29 AM
As is well documented on bisonville i am an idiot. I just realizing that pbs does not mean my local pbs in mpls/st paul. So im not going to get to see it. Are they going to sell it anywhere? Are there any other viewing options?

EndZoneQB
09-13-2012, 01:31 AM
As is well documented on bisonville i am an idiot. I just realizing that pbs does not mean my local pbs in mpls/st paul. So im not going to get to see it. Are they going to sell it anywhere? Are there any other viewing options?

You can probably watch it online?

BisonTeacher
09-13-2012, 01:34 AM
You can probably watch it online?

Does prairie public have a site where you can watch their programs online?

Hammersmith
09-13-2012, 01:35 AM
It will almost certainly be available on Prairie Public's website soon after the premier. It will be in Television>Our Productions on Demand: http://www.prairiepublic.org/television/prairie-public-on-demand

BisonTeacher
09-13-2012, 01:38 AM
Thanks. I saw they had on demand but not sure if this would be on it.

Rynomite
09-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Sounds like a good watch after another Bison Victory!

bisonboone11
09-18-2012, 04:20 PM
Anyone know about the options for out-of-staters to watch this? I didn't see it on their on-demand.

Bison03
09-18-2012, 11:42 PM
Anyone know about the options for out-of-staters to watch this? I didn't see it on their on-demand.

I am sure a DVD will be available for purchase.

Hammersmith
09-18-2012, 11:44 PM
Of course not. It hasn't aired yet. At least give it until tonight, if not a few days.

BisonBabe
09-19-2012, 12:01 AM
Just got started...

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 12:13 AM
Damn that was an ugly mug.

;)

rustywallace
09-19-2012, 12:14 AM
Gotta be happy with it so far. All bison haha.

BlueBisonRock
09-19-2012, 12:16 AM

;)

Tranny or Tatanka?

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 12:22 AM
Tranny or Tatanka?
CAS. He's had about three quotes so far.

56BISON73
09-19-2012, 12:25 AM

;)

And that was after make up. :biggrin:

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 12:29 AM
Well, time to change the channel for 25 minutes.

b15on
09-19-2012, 12:31 AM
I'm recording it in SD and that was clearly a mistake. PBS automatically zoomed in. Not cool.

I heard Todd Debates!! That's my man/dentist!!!!

Bisonguy
09-19-2012, 12:34 AM
And that was after make up. :biggrin:

And a handful of valium. It's like he's turned down to 3 instead of his usual 11.

Bison03
09-19-2012, 12:35 AM
1st section: NDSU football 80's dominance
2nd section: women's basketball
3rd section: UND football 90's dominance

Of course, their decade of dominance led to 1 national championship, ours led to 5.

Bison03
09-19-2012, 12:38 AM
Looks like you can buy a copy of this program on DVD for a $75 membership to PBS. Yikes!! I guess DVR and digital copy production will be in high gear.

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Well, time to change the channel for 25 minutes.
Oops. Expected them to do 25 minutes of UND football before switching to WBB.

b15on
09-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Pat (Smykowski) Jacobson, the mother of current Bison commit AJ Jacobson, featured for a bit.

Bison4ever56
09-19-2012, 12:58 AM
For anyone looking to DVR this, there is a replay at 1 AM Thursday morning.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 12:59 AM
Pat (Smykowski) Jacobson, the mother of current Bison commit AJ Jacobson, featured for a bit.

Looks like she wasn't bad looking.

Enjoyed the Bison dominance decade, don't know how I feel about them not mentioning enough about the crushing victories over UND. I get the feeling some on this board might throw up as they show several Bison teams choking that last decade.

b15on
09-19-2012, 01:16 AM
For anyone looking to DVR this, there is a replay at 1 AM Thursday morning.

After that replay, there's at least two more on Saturday at 7 pm and then again at 9 pm.

BigBison
09-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Just turned it on. So sick of hearing about this old rivalry. I never experienced an NDSU-UND game.

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
How was it in general? Neutral or one-side biased? Didn't get to see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HerdBot
09-19-2012, 01:24 AM
I really like this. Well balanced. Interesting. Objective. Classy. Respectful of both programs. Makes both programs look great.

56BISON73
09-19-2012, 01:27 AM

I think it was well done.

Hammersmith

Yep, so far it's been very balanced and complimentary for both sides. UND's run in FB is about to start.

Starting to think it's not going to be on PPTV's website. They're pushing the DVD really hard.

Bison03
Just turned it on. So sick of hearing about this old rivalry. I never experienced an NDSU-UND game.

If you had been to an Bison-Sioux game you would be loving the memories of these old games.

56BISON73
09-19-2012, 01:30 AM
If you had been to an Bison-Sioux game you would be loving the memories of these old games.

No kidding. Watching it brought back a lot of memories.

BisonTeacher
09-19-2012, 01:37 AM
CAS...dont you have an advance copy?

If gabe couldnt find anything bad to say about it, it must be ok.

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 01:40 AM
I did not get an advanced DVD, and have my little girl tonight so wasn't able to watch. My mom texted and said it was good, but I pointed out to her that she is biased.

BisonTeacher
09-19-2012, 01:49 AM
I did not get an advanced DVD, and have my little girl tonight so wasn't able to watch. My mom texted and said it was good, but I pointed out to her that she is biased.

Sorry. I thought you said they sent you a copy. My bad.

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 01:50 AM
You can tell when this was produced. They didn't have word yet that the NDSU/UND WBB games were back on. They mentioned it in the ending pledge segment, though.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 01:54 AM

It is pretty good.

I really like this. Well balanced. Interesting. Objective. Classy. Respectful of both programs. Makes both programs look great.

My only real beef with it at all, and it is me knitpicking, is that this UND football domination stuff has been almost exclusively about UND beating NDSU(I complain because it is never fun seeing them have more points). NDSU's was about the decade moreso in general rather than about the Nickel games until it got after the 1990 championship. Then again, that does tend to maybe show how the two fanbases look at things.

Great documentary for me to enjoy. Learned a lot about the basketball stuff which is even more epic than I knew. Turned out to be about as neutral as possible. If it wasn't so dang pricey for me I'd definitely buy it. Maybe down the road for dad. He'd love it.

The Bentrim/Simdorn comparison and the '86 and '90 comparison was pretty cool too.

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 01:55 AM
Sorry. I thought you said they sent you a copy. My bad.

I thought from what PPTV told me that I was gonna get one in advance. Maybe it didn't fit in my PO box or perhaps they will send now that it aired. IDK--don't really care either. Would like to see us dominate them again-->that's all I care about.

loudsilverado
09-19-2012, 01:57 AM
One sided imo. Absolutely no mention of the 2000 Bison team and playoff run. They wanted to make it look like a complete decade of domination by UND. That's just my opinion, I'm pretty passionate about the rivalry.

HerdBot
09-19-2012, 02:07 AM
It is pretty good.

My only real beef with it at all, and it is me knitpicking, is that this UND football domination stuff has been almost exclusively about UND beating NDSU(I complain because it is never fun seeing them have more points). NDSU's was about the decade moreso in general rather than about the Nickel games until it got after the 1990 championship. Then again, that does tend to maybe show how the two fanbases look at things.

Great documentary for me to enjoy. Learned a lot about the basketball stuff which is even more epic than I knew. Turned out to be about as neutral as possible. If it wasn't so dang pricey for me I'd definitely buy it. Maybe down the road for dad. He'd love it.

The Bentrim/Simdorn comparison and the '86 and '90 comparison was pretty cool too.

I cant find anything bad about it. Even Dale Lennon said everything was built around beating NDSU. Epic stuff. Actually makes me respect UND a little more. I actually enjoyed the women's basketball bit even more than the football. This brought back some great memories.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 02:09 AM
I cant find anything bad about it. Even Dale Lennon said everything is built around beating NDSU. Actually makes me respect UND a little more. I actually enjoyed the women's basketball bit even more than the football. This brought back some great memories.

Like I said, I was nitpicking. Overall it was very good.

4M, IDK how I forgot about the 2000 year(probably cause I was 8). I knew I was forgetting something! After the beatdown that was the 80's, they had to leave out SOME of NDSU's stuff.

Bisonguy
09-19-2012, 02:21 AM
I thought from what PPTV told me that I was gonna get one in advance. Maybe it didn't fit in my PO box or perhaps they will send now that it aired. IDK--don't really care either. Would like to see us dominate them again-->that's all I care about.

They may not have actually produced the DVD's yet and are waiting for the number of initial orders (actually more of a gift due to it being a donation) so they can produce the correct number without creating a huge surplus and added expense for PBS.

I thought they did a very good job with it and it was about as objective as it could be.

HerdBot
09-19-2012, 02:28 AM
You can tell when this was produced. They didn't have word yet that the NDSU/UND WBB games were back on. They mentioned it in the ending pledge segment, though.

Showed a few highlights of Frisco too. Happy to see that.

BadlandsBison
09-19-2012, 03:25 AM
Funny how the documentary had to linger on und's one championship for so long. No individual championship team for ndsu got more than maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Towards the end they had to really emphasize when Lennon and the gang finally won the big one. Kinda makes sense I guess but seeing that much Roger Thomas isn't good for me :)

Snowgoose
09-19-2012, 03:45 AM
This brought back lots of memories some good some bad. I remember that 92 loss by the women at the BSA and just remembering how bad they playedthatnight otherwise they win six in a row. ThOse bison sioux women's teams were so good and would win conference titles now as well.

I do have to say hearing about 89 football again makes me a little worried about this current year as there are lots of resemblance to this year, hope I am wrong.

onbison09
09-19-2012, 04:00 AM
Damn I was hoping it would be online

1998braves64
09-19-2012, 04:03 AM
I am one of the "minority" that can't wait for this rivalry to continue. I remember going to the 98 game with my brothers and cousins and haven't had as much fun since, with the exception of Frisco, the Bunny rivalry just hasn't gotten to the level of the UND rivalry. The only way I don't make a future Bison-Who? game is if I'm in my grave.

56BISON73
09-19-2012, 04:07 AM
I am one of the "minority" that can't wait for this rivalry to continue. I remember going to the 98 game with my brothers and cousins and haven't had as much fun since, with the exception of Frisco, the Bunny rivalry just hasn't gotten to the level of the UND rivalry. The only way I don't make a future Bison-Who? game is if I'm in my grave.

I would love to see the game played again as opposed to PV-am, Robert morris etc.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Funny how the documentary had to linger on und's one championship for so long. No individual championship team for ndsu got more than maybe 3 to 5 minutes. Towards the end they had to really emphasize when Lennon and the gang finally won the big one. Kinda makes sense I guess but seeing that much Roger Thomas isn't good for me :)

I texted my dad asking about roger thomas and he sent a vomit emoticon(he thinks emoticons are cool). Tough to give NDSU teams more than a couple minutes when you have to focus on 5 of them!

This brought back lots of memories some good some bad. I remember that 92 loss by the women at the BSA and just remembering how bad they playedthatnight otherwise they win six in a row. ThOse bison sioux women's teams were so good and would win conference titles now as well.

I do have to say hearing about 89 football again makes me a little worried about this current year as there are lots of resemblance to this year, hope I am wrong.

I was worried a tad about this year but I think this team is not complacent at all and the current RSophs and Juniors have seen what it takes and are the core of this squad. They know this I think. Bohl has more experience than probably any Bison coach back then did and I think the current seniors and R-Jr's know what its like to have a bad year...they won't let it happen. I hope.

Hammersmith
09-19-2012, 04:30 AM

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkFollowing up on what Bisonguy said, it sounded like the DVDs haven't been made yet. During the last pledge break, they said to expect them in about two weeks.

HerdBot
09-19-2012, 04:54 AM
I would love to see the game played again as opposed to PV-am, Robert morris etc.

As long as we have 6 home games its cool. The game is no more or no less winnable than Montana or Montana State. I would be cool only playing an FBS team every other year.

Bison03
09-19-2012, 04:55 AM
It kind of amazing that the reason UND switched to the 3-4 defense was to specifically stop the veer and NDSU. Don't they still play a 3-4 D to this day? I thought is was fairly well made and balanced. NDSU football part was way better then UND football part since they had to focus on only one championship and then beating UND. NDSU part's only mention of UND was showing blowout scores on the way to national championships. I actually think the basketball section was better at highlighting the rivelry because they needed to go through each other as a final step to get to the elight 8. Amazing to think that in an 11 year span, NDSU won 5 and was runner up twice, and UND won 3 and was runner up once. A North Dakota team was in the title game 11 years in a row. Amazing. Another interesting part was the point that ND was way ahead of the game as far as fan support of women's basketball. While most schools, including high profile DI schools were getting hundreds as games, NDSU and UND were getting thousands. All in all, a great documentary.

56BISON73
09-19-2012, 05:01 AM
As long as we have 6 home games its cool. The game is no more or no less winnable than Montana or Montana State. I would be cool only playing an FBS team every other year.

An FBS every other year wouldnt bother me either. As long as its replaced by the rivalry or a good competitive team. We could do that and still have a tomato can thrown in as well.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 05:05 AM
I love our current setup for games. But damnit that documentary might have brought back those feelings from when I was a kid in the Dome/Alerus or watching on TV, the Bison against UND.

Bison03
09-19-2012, 05:37 AM
I love our current setup for games. But damnit that documentary might have brought back those feelings from when I was a kid in the Dome/Alerus or watching on TV, the Bison against UND.

"when I was a kid in the Dome/Alerus." oh, to be young. Games at Dakotah Field/Memorial Stadium were epic. I am at the age where I went to games as as a kid in the outside stadiums and went to college in the indoor stadiums. Some great memories of Bison/Sioux games. 1997 at Memorial stadium when I was a NDSU freshman rushing the field with some crazy, and drunk Bison fans. Playoff game also at Memorial where we kicked the crap out of them. 2000 where we finially won at the dome. Hundreds waiting in line hours before the game, the onside pooch kick, rushing the field planting my flag at midfield and waving at the UND section. Seeing highlights of those old games makes me want to play this game again bad.

BlueBisonRock
09-19-2012, 06:23 AM
Interesting and positve comments. And all I can think is 'Somewhere Lakes' head is spinning!

http://devilsfoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/spinning-headrush.gif

BisonTeacher
09-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Ever since joining bisonville, my thoughts on this have changed. I used to be all for it. BUt after listening to some of you (believe it or not) and the basketball game last year, I am somehwat torn now. We gained nothing from that basketball game. I would say Im 50/50 on whether we should play them. If the game happened Im sure I would get right back into and enjoy the hell out of it. Maybe letting it happen in the playoffs someday is the way to let it happen. Oh wait...they would have to actually make they playoffs so that wouldnt work. Sioux Suck!

td577
09-19-2012, 12:00 PM
The one fbs game a year is a nice financial boost for Ndsu.

semobison
09-19-2012, 12:13 PM
Ever since joining bisonville, my thoughts on this have changed. I used to be all for it. BUt after listening to some of you (believe it or not) and the basketball game last year, I am somehwat torn now. We gained nothing from that basketball game. I would say Im 50/50 on whether we should play them. If the game happened Im sure I would get right back into and enjoy the hell out of it. Maybe letting it happen in the playoffs someday is the way to let it happen. Oh wait...they would have to actually make they playoffs so that wouldnt work. Sioux Suck!

The thing about the rivalry is when you won, its was euphoric! If you lost it was really painful! Well done documentary!

SDbison
09-19-2012, 12:31 PM
The one fbs game a year is a nice financial boost for Ndsu. And it shows NDSU is actually good enough to often beat FBS teams as compared to the team up north where going toe to toe is sufficient.

daddy daycare
09-19-2012, 12:37 PM
I agree. I used to be all for the game. 100% let's play. Now.....I can't even find two extra tickets for my kids buddies for freaking Prairie View. I can't wait for a playoff matchup someday when it is 90% Bison fans in the FargoDome though.

thundarsdaddy
09-19-2012, 01:11 PM
It kind of amazing that the reason UND switched to the 3-4 defense was to specifically stop the veer and NDSU. Don't they still play a 3-4 D to this day? I thought is was fairly well made and balanced. NDSU football part was way better then UND football part since they had to focus on only one championship and then beating UND. NDSU part's only mention of UND was showing blowout scores on the way to national championships. I actually think the basketball section was better at highlighting the rivelry because they needed to go through each other as a final step to get to the elight 8. Amazing to think that in an 11 year span, NDSU won 5 and was runner up twice, and UND won 3 and was runner up once. A North Dakota team was in the title game 11 years in a row. Amazing. Another interesting part was the point that ND was way ahead of the game as far as fan support of women's basketball. While most schools, including high profile DI schools were getting hundreds as games, NDSU and UND were getting thousands. All in all, a great documentary.

I totally agree, very well said!

Herd Mentality
09-19-2012, 01:51 PM
This thing was a sham. No Rhonda Birch highlights or interviews... booo.

skolbrother
09-19-2012, 02:11 PM
It is a huge risk reward game emotionally.(Married a UND grad) I kind of wish we had been playing the past 3 years to have gotten the mojo back on our side.
That said I like the idea of the every other year with an FBS team, but it needs to be in FFD for at least the first 2-3 meetings because they were such douches when we went D1.

tony
09-19-2012, 02:12 PM
Sounds like good viewing.

Side note: If NDSU starts winning 20 games a year, you'll see crowds that dwarf the old days. Outside of NDSU football and UND hockey, if you want crowds, you have to win games (see Bison VB as exhibit A.)

TransAmBison
09-19-2012, 02:19 PM
They interviewed CAS and not Rhonda? Really have to question their choice there...but I guess one has to take into account who was more eager to talk about himself. :D

NorthernBison
09-19-2012, 02:20 PM

++++++++++++++++++++++++

IzzyFlexion
09-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Looks like she wasn't bad looking.Enjoyed the Bison dominance decade, don't know how I feel about them not mentioning enough about the crushing victories over UND. I get the feeling some on this board might throw up as they show several Bison teams choking that last decade.

If you promise to control yourself, I'll tell you a good story on this topic someday.

344Johnson
09-19-2012, 03:00 PM
If you promise to control yourself, I'll tell you a good story on this topic someday.

I promise.

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 03:03 PM
I promise.

Pat and I were good "friends" and used to party together. She was not hard to look at by any means.

missingnumber7
09-19-2012, 03:35 PM
It was a great view, I had my 4 year old glued to the tv. I loved the 86 vs 90 discussion. It was a great show.

NDSU '96
09-19-2012, 04:18 PM
If I'm a und fb guy I'm not all that thrilled with the show. The bison portion was national dominance, and the references to UND were about how bad and outmatched they were. Fwd to the und portion you see them beating the bison, but there were bison wins as well and und playoff losses. I thought Bison football was hyped much more than und. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Bison Dan
09-19-2012, 04:57 PM
If I'm a und fb guy I'm not all that thrilled with the show. The bison portion was national dominance, and the references to UND were about how bad and outmatched they were. Fwd to the und portion you see them beating the bison, but there were bison wins as well and und playoff losses. I thought Bison football was hyped much more than und. Not that there's anything wrong with that.Facts are facts.

missingnumber7
09-19-2012, 05:12 PM
If I'm a und fb guy I'm not all that thrilled with the show. The bison portion was national dominance, and the references to UND were about how bad and outmatched they were. Fwd to the und portion you see them beating the bison, but there were bison wins as well and und playoff losses. I thought Bison football was hyped much more than und. Not that there's anything wrong with that.I think that from that stance you see why they want the game to return. No matter how you look at things that game was their super bowl. Winning that was all any of their coaches focused on from year to year. Where as Bison Coaches were focused on a bigger trophy and winning or losing the nickle was of little consequense to winning the national title. I don't see things as much different now.

THEsocalledfan
09-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Where as Bison Coaches were focused on a bigger trophy and winning or losing the nickle was of little consequense to winning the national title.

Hogwash. Sorry, I can't give you a pass on this. This is revisionist history. Case in point:

1. Rocky Hager commented about how awful it was to lose to those "knuckleheads" because that was all you heard about all year.
2. When Babich was hired, he stated (and I don't have the exact quote): "We have 3 goals/priorities: 1. Beat UND, 2. Win a conference title, and 3. Win a national title and in that order." I know TAB would remember this well. Wish I had the actual quote; it was during the press conference announcing his hiring.

I know some of the younger people on the board may still not get it, but there was NOTHING bigger in all of North Dakota than when that game occurred. Time literally stood still and everyone stopped what they were doing and watched the game. You'd literally get goose bumps on you arms with the energy in the crowds before the game started. It was the greatest of all rivalries, and I admit, I do miss it still.

Make no mistake, when the game happens again, time will again stand still and North Dakota will have its Super Bowl back.

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 05:38 PM
Hogwash. Sorry, I can't give you a pass on this. This is revisionist history. Case in point:

1. Rocky Hager commented about how awful it was to lose to those "knuckleheads" because that was all you heard about all year.
2. When Babich was hired, he stated (and I don't have the exact quote): "We have 3 goals/priorities: 1. Beat UND, 2. Win a conference title, and 3. Win a national title and in that order." I know TAB would remember this well. Wish I had the actual quote; it was during the press conference announcing his hiring.

I know some of the younger people on the board may still not get it, but there was NOTHING bigger in all of North Dakota than when that game occurred. Time literally stood still and everyone stopped what they were doing and watched the game. You'd literally get goose bumps on you arms with the energy in the crowds before the game started. It was the greatest of all rivalries, and I admit, I do miss it still.

Make no mistake, when the game happens again, time will again stand still and North Dakota will have its Super Bowl back.

The goals when I played under Morton, Solomonson and Rocky were reversed from what Bobby B. (aka dumbest and worst coach in Bison football history) said. But, consider the source and the mindset he had . . .

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-19-2012, 06:57 PM
"when I was a kid in the Dome/Alerus." oh, to be young. Games at Dakotah Field/Memorial Stadium were epic. I am at the age where I went to games as as a kid in the outside stadiums and went to college in the indoor stadiums. Some great memories of Bison/Sioux games. 1997 at Memorial stadium when I was a NDSU freshman rushing the field with some crazy, and drunk Bison fans. Playoff game also at Memorial where we kicked the crap out of them. 2000 where we finially won at the dome. Hundreds waiting in line hours before the game, the onside pooch kick, rushing the field planting my flag at midfield and waving at the UND section. Seeing highlights of those old games makes me want to play this game again bad.

I went to NDSU in the 80's, during the decade of dominance. My memories of Sioux games were being extremely drunk and leaving at halftime due to a blowout. No close games in my college years.

This would have been the same result if we would have played them in the last decade. We missed the opportunity to close the gap in the win/loss record over the last decade.

Mr. Burgundy
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM

If the game does come back, I hope you can get it on TV. Hopefully it is in HD so you don't have to complain.

NorthernBison
09-19-2012, 07:12 PM
If you look at the scores during the 80's "winning streak" and into the 90's, you will see that there were a ton of big time blowouts early. The scores got gradually closer towards the end of the streak. It bugs me a bit to say it but I attribute that to Roger Thomas. He revived their program.

As soon as the DII scholarships got reduced in the early 90's, the gap between NDSU and most of the NCC closed rapidly. Simple math says that 9 or 10 less scholarships available to NDSU meant that 15 or 20 potential recruits were going to go elsewhere. That really helped some other programs.

Was it Burkel who went to SCSU and tore up the NCC over four years? Whatever the name, he was quoted as saying his dream was to go to NDSU but didn't get enough of a scholarship offer. NDSU wanted him but was forced to decide between Jason Miller and him. With more scholarships available, both would likely have been on the roster.

With fewer scholarships, we weren't less talented. We just weren't as deep. More importantly, other teams had guys starting that would have been on an NDSU roster in previous years.

NDSU '96
09-19-2012, 07:42 PM
If you look at the scores during the 80's "winning streak" and into the 90's, you will see that there were a ton of big time blowouts early. The scores got gradually closer towards the end of the streak. It bugs me a bit to say it but I attribute that to Roger Thomas. He revived their program.

As soon as the DII scholarships got reduced in the early 90's, the gap between NDSU and most of the NCC closed rapidly. Simple math says that 9 or 10 less scholarships available to NDSU meant that 15 or 20 potential recruits were going to go elsewhere. That really helped some other programs.

Was it Burkel who went to SCSU and tore up the NCC over four years? Whatever the name, he was quoted as saying his dream was to go to NDSU but didn't get enough of a scholarship offer. NDSU wanted him but was forced to decide between Jason Miller and him. With more scholarships available, both would likely have been on the roster.

With fewer scholarships, we weren't less talented. We just weren't as deep. More importantly, other teams had guys starting that would have been on an NDSU roster in previous years. Wasn't it Martin that tore us up in a 34-0 loss? I thought I remember that scholarship story with him.

THEsocalledfan
09-19-2012, 07:43 PM
If the game does come back, I hope you can get it on TV. Hopefully it is in HD so you don't have to complain.

Your point? Crappy media coverage is okay?

TransAmBison
09-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Your point? Crappy media coverage is okay?Simply put:

Burgandy: 1
TSCF: 0

NorthernBison
09-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Wasn't it Martin that tore us up in a 34-0 loss? I thought I remember that scholarship story with him.

That could be correct. I remember the story but probably have the name wrong.

Taking Jason was a no-brainer for us. Injuries hampered him and he didn't have the career that he could have. Can't blame kids for going elsewhere when we were dividing scholarships up into pieces and other schools were offering full rides.

Mr. Burgundy
09-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Simply put:

Classic. Just having fun with him. I know it bugs him, it was just too easy.

Mr. Burgundy
09-19-2012, 07:57 PM
Simply put:

if you would have spelled my name correctly, I might have put that in my signature line. I am the Rodney Dangerfield of BV. I get no respect.

TransAmBison
09-19-2012, 08:02 PM
if you would have spelled my name correctly, I might have put that in my signature line. I am the Rodney Dangerfield of BV. I get no respect.Now that you mention it, I probably have never spelled your name correctly. My bad, Mr. Dangerfeild. :D

CAS4127
09-19-2012, 08:03 PM
That could be correct. I remember the story but probably have the name wrong.

Taking Jason was a no-brainer for us. Injuries hampered him and he didn't have the career that he could have. Can't blame kids for going elsewhere when we were dividing scholarships up into pieces and other schools were offering full rides.

I'm not so sure about that, and the kid was from my home town. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and I was not convinced he would make it at NDSU, with a potential for career-ending injury being at least one of my thoughts. Great kid/guy, and I wish he had made it and not been injured like he was.

KSBisonFan
09-19-2012, 08:04 PM
Now that you mention it, I probably have never spelled your name correctly. My bad, Mr. Dangerfeild. :D

He goes buy his furst name, Rondey you moran!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q598/jghoffman12/moran.jpg

NDSU '96
09-19-2012, 08:11 PM
I'm not so sure about that, and the kid was from my home town. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and I was not convinced he would make it at NDSU, with a potential for career-ending injury being at least one of my thoughts. Great kid/guy, and I wish he had made it and not been injured like he was.He was so much better than the level of competition he was playing at in high school, you really couldn't determine if he could withstand the punishment of the NCC from the few hits he seemed to take as a prep.

NorthernBison
09-19-2012, 08:15 PM
I'm not so sure about that, and the kid was from my home town. I watched him play quite a bit in high school, and I was not convinced he would make it at NDSU, with a potential for career-ending injury being at least one of my thoughts. Great kid/guy, and I wish he had made it and not been injured like he was.

Maybe. But, communities have long memories sometimes. I just wonder if snubbing a Prep star like that would have affected future recruiting. I know it did in Detroit Lakes.

I was pumped when he signed and I think he had one very good year but it all fizzled with the injuries.

tony
09-19-2012, 08:48 PM
On the 740 podcasts, they've got sound from the producer giving a preview.
http://740thefan.com/page.php?page_id=82

siouxdgj
09-19-2012, 10:10 PM

Had a board meeting last night, missed all but 20 minutes of the program. From what I saw it was very well balanced, a classy production, which is what we have come to expect from PPTV productions. Both schools have very proud athletic traditions. My guess is that this DVD will be in very high demand, and rightly and justly so.

siouxdgj
09-19-2012, 10:21 PM

Simply a great post.

EndZoneQB
09-19-2012, 10:25 PM
Wasn't it Martin that tore us up in a 34-0 loss? I thought I remember that scholarship story with him.

That was the receiver, right? Or am I thinking of someone else? I can't remember if it was SCSU or Mankato...

siouxdgj
09-19-2012, 10:35 PM

I was at the 1965 UND-NDSU game at Dacotah Field. Both teams came in unbeaten, UND riding a 12-game winning streak over the Bison. UND kicked an early field goal to lead 3-0. Bison came back to grab a 6-3 advantage. Late in the game UND drove down the field and had a Corey Colehour pass intercepted and run back to midfield. Two class teams. Had the Sioux won, it's likely they--and not the Bison--would have won the 1965 College Division national championship. Both went on to win bowl games, UND defeating Northern Illinois 37-20. Believe the Bison defeated powerful Grambling in the Midwest Division II regional championship game something like 20-7.

Kermit
09-20-2012, 03:00 AM
if you would have spelled my name correctly, I might have put that in my signature line. I am the Rodney Dangerfield of BV. I get no respect.
Lulz.

http://danpatto.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/ron.jpg

SamsRams
09-20-2012, 04:01 AM

Welcome to the board. I see you have over 3500 posts and that is obviously a mistake, but welcome anyways

Bison03
09-20-2012, 05:43 AM
For you night owls who either didn't watch or DVR the program, it is on at 1am. I think I will watch the first 30 min. , that was pretty good.

Ross
09-20-2012, 05:57 AM
For you night owls who either didn't watch or DVR the program, it is on at 1am. I think I will watch the first 30 min. , that was pretty good.

I will be tuned in. Had to miss it on Tuesday because of work. Can't wait to see it after hearing that everyone liked it!

NDSU '96
09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
That was the receiver, right? Or am I thinking of someone else? I can't remember if it was SCSU or Mankato... St Cloud running back. Harlon Hill finalist in '95 and '96.

tony
09-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I was at the 1965 UND-NDSU game at Dacotah Field. Both teams came in unbeaten, UND riding a 12-game winning streak over the Bison. UND kicked an early field goal to lead 3-0. Bison came back to grab a 6-3 advantage. Late in the game UND drove down the field and had a Corey Colehour pass intercepted and run back to midfield. Two class teams. Had the Sioux won, it's likely they--and not the Bison--would have won the 1965 College Division national championship. Both went on to win bowl games, UND defeating Northern Illinois 37-20. Believe the Bison defeated powerful Grambling in the Midwest Division II regional championship game something like 20-7.

Very cool!

It's hard for me to do the '60s and early '70s teams justice on this site because I didn't get to experience them.

56BISON73
09-20-2012, 03:49 PM
Very cool!

It's hard for me to do the '60s and early '70s teams justice on this site because I didn't get to experience them.

I need to find out what the NDSU vs UND record was from 65-80. The documentary didnt include that.

roadwarrior
09-20-2012, 04:06 PM
I need to find out what the NDSU vs UND record was from 65-80. The documentary didnt include that.

The scores of every football game ever played are in the media guide. You can find it on gobison.com

tony
09-20-2012, 04:08 PM

10 wins, 6 losses.

Query20
YearExpr1

6-3

18-15

34-10

14-8

64-14

20-3

7-23

22-17

21-14

20-31

17-34

22-15

45-20

21-24

7-14

20-38

56BISON73
09-20-2012, 07:19 PM
[QUOTE=tony;656342]10 wins, 6 losses.

Query20
YearExpr1

6-3

18-15

34-10

14-8

64-14

20-3

7-23

22-17

21-14

20-31

17-34

22-15

45-20

21-24

7-14

20-38

[/QUO

Thanks!!!!!!

EndZoneQB
09-20-2012, 07:22 PM
St Cloud running back. Harlon Hill finalist in '95 and '96.

Oh, drawing a blank there then.

tony
09-20-2012, 07:23 PM
Harry Jackson was a really good RB for SCSU.

CAS4127
09-20-2012, 07:29 PM

That's the late 80's!!

FYI, MWill's dad played QB for SCSU in the 80's as well.

TAILG8R
09-20-2012, 07:30 PM

Tranny told me that it was Harry Johnson and he was a TE. Strange.

NDSU '96
09-20-2012, 08:29 PM
That's the late 80's!!

FYI, MWill's dad played QB for SCSU in the 80's as well. 1988 was a 1 point win at home CAS. How many yards did Harry get?

Herd Hauler
09-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Oh, drawing a blank there then.

Was it Randy Martin or was he later than that?

tony
09-20-2012, 09:36 PM

Ah, I finally figured out what the question was... In 1995 SCSU beat NDSU 34-0. I don't remember any SCSU back tearing NDSU up - just that the offense couldn't do anything. Anyway, I did some googling and, yeah, Randy Martin was their back that year.

NorthernBison
09-20-2012, 09:39 PM

That's the guy. #3 all-time rusher there (Birkel is #1 and Jackson is #2). Martin played there at about the same time as Jason Miller played for NDSU (93-96). I started this fiasco by remembering that Martin made a comment about his first choice being NDSU. Scholarship reductions kept us from getting him.

Jackson was late 80's and Birkel was 2001-05.

NorthernBison
09-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Ah, I finally figured out what the question was... In 1995 SCSU beat NDSU 34-0. I don't remember any SCSU back tearing NDSU up - just that the offense couldn't do anything. Anyway, I did some googling and, yeah, Randy Martin was their back that year.

Todd Bouman was the QB for SCSU and Martin was their star RB. I think both were Juniors that season. Our offense did nothing. Their offense carved our defense up. I don't remember our record that season but that game was about as embarrassing as any I remember in my lifetime.

tony
09-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Todd Bouman was the QB for SCSU and Martin was their star RB. I think both were Juniors that season. Our offense did nothing. Their offense carved our defense up. I don't remember our record that season but that game was about as embarrassing as any I remember in my lifetime.

10-3. That's the year NDSU beat the crap out of UND in the playoffs and then lost to Pitt by 2.

The happy ending is that NDSU beat SCSU 34-0 the very next year.

BlueBisonRock
09-21-2012, 01:29 AM
10-3. That's the year NDSU beat the crap out of UND in the playoffs and then lost to Pitt by 2.

The happy ending is that NDSU beat SCSU 34-0 the very next year.

I love a happy ending!

BisonTeacher
09-21-2012, 01:43 AM
and then lost to Pitt by 2.

I think i was on the sidelines for that game taking photos for the spectrum. Was it over thanksgiving weekend and at pitt st?

IzzyFlexion
09-23-2012, 10:59 PM
I love a happy ending!

OK Mister Dirty Birdie.

Let the record show that Mr. BBR threw that out there with little or no regard for my sensative feelings regarding risque content.

CAS4127
09-23-2012, 11:56 PM
1988 was a 1 point win at home CAS. How many yards did Harry get?

Don't recall--dislocated my elbow that game. Popped it back in but wasn't allowed back in game. Pain killers kicked in, but I recall them having a last second chance at FG FTW.