PDA

View Full Version : 12-Game Vote

Hammersmith
01-07-2007, 12:32 AM
According to the NCAA schedule, the vote should have been taken between 4:00 and 5:30 today(Sat). Does anyone have any news?

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-07-2007, 01:40 AM
Nothing yet. Scanned around a couple websites and message boards, but nothing new yet.

jackrabbitdw
01-07-2007, 02:26 AM
I found this in Terry V.'s blog.

http://blogs.argusleadermedia.com/sports/category/sdsu/

Just spoke to SDSU athletic director Fred Oien. The override vote to allow Football Championship Subdivision teams to play 12 games did not pass at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla.

NDSUguy
01-07-2007, 02:35 AM

Just spoke to SDSU athletic director Fred Oien. The override vote to allow Football Championship Subdivision teams to play 12 games did not pass at the NCAA Convention in Orlando, Fla.

The vote was against expanding to 12 games. They needed 60% vote - only 48% voted for it.

Right after the vote Montana State officially cancelled the game with NDSU. Once again we're scrambling for a game.

NDSUstudent
01-07-2007, 02:43 AM
I'm glad this happend, 12 games is too much and would have crippled playoff expansion which is something I am very much for. I know this will probably put us in a bind for scheduling this year but we may also get lucky with a few Gateway schools coming to our rescue now that WKU dropped most of their originally schedule games.

2006gwfcchamps
01-07-2007, 03:21 AM
What this will mean is a 11 week regular season and a 5 week playoff.

Hammersmith
01-07-2007, 03:36 AM
What this will mean is a 11 week regular season and a 5 week playoff.
I, for one, am not convinced of that. If it does come up for a vote a year from now, I'd bet on a defeat. Two years from now? Maybe.

SDbison
01-07-2007, 02:49 PM

The vote was against expanding to 12 games. *They needed 60% vote - only 48% voted for it. *

Right after the vote Montana State officially cancelled the game with NDSU. *Once again we're scrambling for a game.
Nice, now Gene will have a couple DII's on the home schedule for 2007. I really don't get the opposition to a 12 game schedule as there is more schedule and revenue opportunity. I also don't believe one more week would crush a student athletes grades or ability to graduate. If Gene voted against the 12 game schedule and he expects fans to show up in droves to watch a couple non-scholarship DI-AA or DII games he made a big mistake. I wish him luck finding some good DI-AA home games this late.

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-07-2007, 02:52 PM

The vote was against expanding to 12 games. *They needed 60% vote - only 48% voted for it. *

Right after the vote Montana State officially cancelled the game with NDSU. *Once again we're scrambling for a game.

Stupid Bobcats. We really need to make the buyouts in these contracts higher.

scottheck
01-07-2007, 02:55 PM
http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/152224

It sounds to me that, though Gene would rather not do it, we're more likely to have multiple BCS games than DII games.

NDSUguy
01-07-2007, 03:49 PM

It sounds to me that, though Gene would rather not do it, we're more likely to have multiple BCS games than DII games.

A few thoughts... SDBison: You might want to retract your hate against Taylor. Get your fact straight before ripping on NDSU or Taylor.

Here is what the article had to say...

NDSU did not get to vote on the 12th game issue because it is in its Division I transition period. After being initially opposed to the proposal, Taylor said he had mixed feelings about it.

also found in the article...

Taylor said MSU’s decision to opt out this year has left both sides with three options: MSU pays a buyout, move the game to 2008 or start a multiple-game series starting in 2008 or 2009.

The buyout is $10,000, but Taylor said that may be negotiable to “a more reasonable figure.”

Bisonguy
01-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Gene was against the 12th game because he was in favor of expanding the playoffs. A 12th game would eliminate any chance of expanding the playoffs.

NDSUguy
01-07-2007, 04:20 PM
Gene was against the 12th game because he was in favor of expanding the playoffs. A 12th game would eliminate any chance of expanding the playoffs.

Gene did not get a vote.

kchats
01-07-2007, 05:32 PM
If NDSU gets left out of the Gateway conference (I don't think that will happen) the expanded playoffs will be very important for NDSU to have an opportunity to make the playoffs. At-large bids are very tough to get and have alot of political things going on with them.

I sure hope NDSU gets into the Gateway Football Conference this February because that solves the scheduling issue and helps with the playoffs in 2008.

SDbison
01-07-2007, 06:46 PM

A few thoughts... *SDBison: *You might want to retract your hate against Taylor. *Get your fact straight before ripping on NDSU or Taylor.

NDSU did not get to vote on the 12th game issue because it is in its Division I transition period. After being initially opposed to the proposal, Taylor said he had mixed feelings about it.

Taylor said MSU’s decision to opt out this year has left both sides with three options: MSU pays a buyout, move the game to 2008 or start a multiple-game series starting in 2008 or 2009.

The buyout is $10,000, but Taylor said that may be negotiable to “a more reasonable figure.”
Wow, NDSUguy ease back on the attack. Did I say anything to indicate I hate Gene Taylor or NDSU. I just question how the situation got so bad and I really don't want the football program to take a step backward. As for Taylor's opinion, it sounds from this mornings Forum article that Taylor did not have a vote, but at least now has mixed feelings about a 12 game schedule (coming around to my way of thinking versus being total against it). I really think once the Gateway is a lock a 12 game schedule would be better than 5 weeks worth of playoff games to get to the title game. There is no need to have 32 teams in the playoffs (more than 1 in every 4 FCS team). NDSU will make the playoffs soon enough with the 16 team field.
BTW, I respect Gene and have had several conversations with him, on the phone, via e-mail and in person. He is a good guy and likes to hear the opinion of Bison fans. Guess I should just contact him in the future rather than sharing my thoughts on this board. You were way off base NDSUguy. Take your green and gold glasses off for a moment.

NDSUguy
01-07-2007, 07:05 PM

A few thoughts... SDBison: You might want to retract your hate against Taylor. Get your fact straight before ripping on NDSU or Taylor.

Wow, NDSUguy ease back on the attack. Did I say anything to indicate I hate Gene Taylor or NDSU. I just question how the situation got so bad and I really don't want the football program to take a step backward. As for Taylor's opinion, it sounds from this mornings Forum article that Taylor did not have a vote, but at least now has mixed feelings about a 12 game schedule (coming around to my way of thinking versus being total against it). I really think once the Gateway is a lock a 12 game schedule would be better than 5 weeks worth of playoff games to get to the title game. There is no need to have 32 teams in the playoffs (more than 1 in every 4 FCS team). NDSU will make the playoffs soon enough with the 16 team field.
BTW, I respect Gene and have had several conversations with him, on the phone, via e-mail and in person. He is a good guy and likes to hear the opinion of Bison fans. Guess I should just contact him in the future rather than sharing my thoughts on this board. You were way off base NDSUguy. Take your green and gold glasses off for a moment.

I guess what I don't understand is why you place all our football scheduling woes on Taylor's plate. The situation didn't get "so bad". It always was "bad". Several things go against NDSU and our home schedule even before Taylor get's involved.

1. we're currently in a conference of five teams that is nothing more than a scheduling alliance.
2. it's not easy/cheep to get to Fargo unless you school is situated along I-29.
3. NDSU has a good team.

Until NDSU secures a spot in the Gateway, the GWFC adds teams and becomes playoff eligible or we become a "cupcake" team NOBODY good will want to come to Fargo. While I do not like the idea of scheduling D2 teams we don't much have a choice for home games.

Unless what I stated above becomes reality we will ALWAYS have cupcake teams on our home schedule. While we all want to succeed our success will make our home schedule horrible.

TransAmBison
01-07-2007, 07:08 PM

A few thoughts... *SDBison: *You might want to retract your hate against Taylor. *Get your fact straight before ripping on NDSU or Taylor.

Don't think SDBison was really ripping on Taylor...

NDSUguy
01-07-2007, 07:10 PM

Don't think SDBison was really ripping on Taylor...

I guess I just see this as being pissed off at Taylor....

If Gene voted against the 12 game schedule and he expects fans to show up in droves to watch a couple non-scholarship DI-AA or DII games he made a big mistake. I wish him luck finding some good DI-AA home games this late.

SDbison
01-07-2007, 07:20 PM
I think you read into things way too much NDSUguy. Yes, Gene is the guy who is responsible for schedule so I guess he has to take the heat if it sucks. Still doesn't mean I hate him or NDSU, or that objective criticism can be considered ripping on or being pissed at someone.

roadwarrior
01-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Scheduling is a two way street. If teams dont want to come to Fargo to get their ass beat, there isnt much Taylor can do about it. The success on the field the past three seasons is making the scheduling hard more than any other factor.

Bisonguy
01-07-2007, 08:10 PM

Gene did not get a vote.

Yeah, and I never said he did.

SDbison
01-07-2007, 10:58 PM
Scheduling is a two way street. *If teams dont want to come to Fargo to get their ass beat, there isnt much Taylor can do about it. *The success on the field the past three seasons is making the scheduling hard more than any other factor.
That is why Gene is the AD at NDSU. *He is paid good money to resolve the issues of being at a very competitive university. *I know he will do the best he can, but utilmately he is still responsible. *