PDA

View Full Version : New Turf Again

tjbison
09-05-2012, 07:13 PM
Field in the Dome will be replaced again sounds like Astro Turf was in and decided they need to put a new underlay

HerdBot
09-05-2012, 07:15 PM
Is it better worse or different?

CaBisonFan
09-05-2012, 07:16 PM
Field in the Dome will be replaced again sounds like Astro Turf was in and decided they need to put a new underlay

They should do it in gold this time.

Tatanka
Not costing ndsu, fargodome, or Fargo taxpayers one red cent. Players were never in danger, issue comes in when rolling it up for storage.

moosbah

And when do they plan on doing this???

Tatanka
09-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Currently in progress. Will be done next Tuesday.

Bison03
09-05-2012, 07:20 PM
I am assuming they are not starting over from scratch and just replacing something simple.

HerdBot
09-05-2012, 07:21 PM
They should sell the old turf to NDSU for dirt cheap and put it where the grass field sits. I mean it has gold end zones, a bison logo, gate city bank, and 2 small pinwheels.

Tatanka
09-05-2012, 07:22 PM
They should sell the old turf to NDSU for dirt cheap and put it where the grass field sits.are you mcfeely? That's exactly what he just suggested on air.

bisonmike2
09-05-2012, 07:24 PM
are you mcfeely? That's exactly what he just suggested on air.

I thought The_Sic was McFeely? Or is The_Sic really Gabe? I'm so confused.

KSBisonFan
09-05-2012, 07:27 PM
I thought The_Sic was McFeely? Or is The_Sic really Gabe? I'm so confused.

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q598/jghoffman12/enteronly_thumb3.jpg

tjbison
09-05-2012, 07:28 PM
are you mcfeely? That's exactly what he just suggested on air.

Holy shit, you just figured it out, yesterday he was accusing others, now he repeats exactly what was said on the radio

LOL

moosbah
09-05-2012, 07:30 PM
Do they need to replace the acutal field, or just that black underlay?

tjbison
09-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Do they need to replace the acutal field, or just that black underlay?

whole thing

Bison03
09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
Can the really replace the entire surface in this short of time? I guess they will be working around the clock to do so.

roadwarrior
09-05-2012, 07:41 PM
We can now say we never gave up a single point on the most recent field.

Bison03
09-05-2012, 07:42 PM
Where is this story being reported?

bisonmike2
09-05-2012, 07:43 PM
I blame Chapman.

roadwarrior
09-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Where is this story being reported?

I heard this was going to happen during Fan Day in august.

mebisonII
09-05-2012, 07:44 PM
Wait, what? Our entire, brand-new turf is being replaced? Did the company screw up the install or something?

TransAmBison
09-05-2012, 07:45 PM
I heard this was going to happen during Fan Day in august.I know I signed a petition to have it removed...you know, no lightning bolt.

roadwarrior
09-05-2012, 07:46 PM
I know I signed a petition to have it removed...you know, no lightning bolt.

Now we know the real reason for the replacement.

JustinTyem
09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
Huh,WTH,Is this a dream??? How about we get some straight edge answers,please.

moosbah
09-05-2012, 07:49 PM
The initial turf infill was Oreo crumbs. While delicious, too many were complaining that the opposing cheer teams would be grazing.:rofl:

56BISON73
09-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Is it better worse or different?

I am sure its worse. :facepalm:

Dubbsy
09-05-2012, 07:54 PM
I am sure its worse. :facepalm:

Should be very very similar. Basically an unexpected design flaw that didn't properly hold the infill during conversion.
From what I've been told of the design changes nobody will probably ever notice.

56BISON73
09-05-2012, 07:56 PM
Should be very very similar. Basically an unexpected design flaw that didn't property hold the infill during conversion.
From what I've been told of the design changes nobody will probably ever notice.

I am sure it will be better. I was being facetious in my reply to gabe.

heckler
09-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Bring back the lightning bolt!

bisonmike2
09-05-2012, 08:02 PM
Bring back the lightning bolt!

I heard they are replacing the full Bison logo with the Bison head logo.

:hide:

JustinTyem
09-05-2012, 08:04 PM
It there a link to this or what???

TransAmBison
09-05-2012, 08:05 PM
It there a link to this or what???
It is like you do not trust us after meeting us. :D

HerdBot
09-05-2012, 08:09 PM
are you mcfeely? That's exactly what he just suggested on air. i was listening to his show when he suggested it though

HerdBot
09-05-2012, 08:12 PM
I heard they are replacing the full Bison logo with the Bison head logo.

:hide:

The ugly version 2.0 too

moosbah
09-05-2012, 08:39 PM
The ugly version 2.0 too

Good thing we kept the receipt.

fulle44
09-05-2012, 08:41 PM
Link: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373305/

JustinTyem
09-05-2012, 09:05 PM
Link: http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373305/WFT,tell them we want the cam to go back up so we can watch. Jeeper Creepers,:( And another thing too,GET THAT LIGHTING BOLT BACK!!!!!

NDSUBowler
09-05-2012, 09:15 PM
I just assumed this thread was a big level until there was a link...

A sort of...distraction from news from last few days.

Oops :facepalm:

Bisonguy
09-05-2012, 10:39 PM
I was wondering why there were two AstroTurf trailers trailers that remained in the north lot of the Fargodome after the turf install.

CaBisonFan
09-05-2012, 10:44 PM
Good thing we kept the receipt.

One of the more intelligent posts of the day.

Tatanka
09-05-2012, 10:55 PM
i was listening to his show when he suggested it thoughSounds good, Mike. Welcome to the board.

Bisonguy
09-05-2012, 11:04 PM
Sounds good, Mike. Welcome to the board.

Gabe's a spambot with his own radio show?

Tatanka
09-05-2012, 11:09 PM
Gabe's a spambot with his own radio show?it's really the only logical conclusion.

roadwarrior
09-05-2012, 11:37 PM
NDSU might purchase the one game old turf and install it on the eastern most grass practice field.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373322/group/Sports/

Hammersmith
09-05-2012, 11:50 PM
NDSU might purchase the one game old turf and install it on the eastern most grass practice field.

I wonder if it's big enough to play soccer on(or could be made bigger)? Isn't it true that Dacotah can't be used for soccer competition? Isn't the crown of the field too extreme for that? I know there was an old master plan that had soccer taking over the grass practice fields. This would be a great opportunity to kick start that if the "old" turf could be made to work for that purpose. (Gate City Bank name/logo notwithstanding) The likelihood of this happening is near zero, but it's good to think outside the box from time to time.

tony
09-05-2012, 11:57 PM
I'd love to see it on eBay. Not sure why that seems like it would be humorous, but I do.

lascrs
09-06-2012, 12:01 AM
Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't anyone realize the signature on the contract, for the turf, was rejected by the Sec of State and thus the contract was voided by the Att. Gen. of ND. Trans Am & Cas should be all over this. (sorry my purple font doesn"t work)

A1pigskin
09-06-2012, 12:37 AM
Is this a guessing contest?

roadwarrior
09-06-2012, 12:59 AM
The crown on Dacotah Field was removed (or reduced enought) before the current turf was installed.

Hammersmith
09-06-2012, 01:14 AM
The crown on Dacotah Field was removed (or reduced enought) before the current turf was installed.
Cool. I assumed it was concrete and almost impossible to remove without breaking up the giant slab(and I know they didn't do that before installing the new turf). Wonder if they "cut" the top off or bulked up the sides(I'm guessing the latter).

bri-dog
09-06-2012, 01:18 AM
Cool. I assumed it was concrete and almost impossible to remove without breaking up the giant slab(and I know they didn't do that before installing the new turf). Wonder if they "cut" the top off or bulked up the sides(I'm guessing the latter).

I assumed they just hired the SDSU cheerleaders to practice in the middle until it settled...

roadwarrior
09-06-2012, 01:19 AM

It was asphalt underneath, and I'm pretty sure they shaved the center portion down.

Tatanka
09-06-2012, 01:34 AM
It was asphalt underneath, and I'm pretty sure they shaved the center portion down.we just lost Izzy.

Da Bison
09-06-2012, 01:42 AM
It was asphalt underneath, and I'm pretty sure they shaved the center portion down.

Kinda like a reverse landing strip:biggrin:

HerdBot
09-06-2012, 01:51 AM

Seems like an easy decision to make if the funds are available. Rare opportunity to purchase at a discounted rate. Many advantages.

EndZoneQB
09-06-2012, 02:15 AM
we just lost Izzy.

I heard the explosion from here...

Kinda like a reverse landing strip:biggrin:

LOL

imabison
09-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Seems like an easy decision to make if the funds are available. Rare opportunity to purchase at a discounted rate. Many advantages.

There goes any BSA funds....ouch...no it is a good idea, will not be moved so the bad backing will not matter.
Astro Turf does not have to ship it very far if it works out. It says the cost of replacing the turf in the Fargodome is
$ 1 million of course being covered by Astro Turf.

1998braves64
09-06-2012, 04:40 AM
Hopefully they didn't make the same mistake on the Alerus Center!

HerdBot
09-06-2012, 05:02 AM
There goes any BSA funds....ouch...no it is a good idea, will not be moved so the bad backing will not matter.
Astro Turf does not have to ship it very far if it works out. It says the cost of replacing the turf in the Fargodome is
$ 1 million of course being covered by Astro Turf.

I doubt they would use the edge funds. You would think they have separate budgets or other sources and I would imagine they don't do this unless it's a really good deal. I don't think a million bucks is a "can't turn this down" type deal if it's coming from the SHAC money. It may be cheaper for AstroTurf to sell it below cost so they don't have to pay to ship it. It's a luxury. Although having turf of that caliber on the practice field is just one more advantage over the competition. Better on the body than grass... especially in the cold season, prevents injuries, you don't have to mow it, and you can practice on the exact same surface you use in the dome. And it's another way to wow people. That's not just another piece of turf. It's fabulous! Suddenly that practice area looks completely different! But not at the expense of the SHAC. I trust Gene Taylor knows what he's doing.

1998braves64
09-06-2012, 05:22 AM
I doubt they would use the edge funds. You would think they have separate budgets or other sources and I would imagine they don't do this unless it's a really good deal. I don't think a million bucks is a "can't turn this down" type deal if it's coming from the SHAC money. It may be cheaper for AstroTurf to sell it below cost so they don't have to pay to ship it. It's a luxury. Although having turf of that caliber on the practice field is just one more advantage over the competition. Better on the body than grass... especially in the cold season, prevents injuries, you don't have to mow it, and you can practice on the exact same surface you use in the dome. And it's another way to wow people. That's not just another piece of turf. It's fabulous! Suddenly that practice area looks completely different! But not at the expense of the SHAC. I trust Gene Taylor knows what he's doing.

Maybe Gate City could chip in a few thousands since it will be free advertising for them!

SamsRams
09-06-2012, 08:08 AM
i was listening to his show when he suggested it though

You listen to yourself talk? next you're going to tell me there's some crazy new way to create a link (http://www.rivals.com) without actually posting www and all the gibberish afterwards. crazy talk i tell you

Bison06
09-06-2012, 12:38 PM
Don't know if this has been talked about already or not, but is this turf even durable enough to be placed in outdoor conditions? Was it only designed to be indoors?

tjbison
09-06-2012, 12:56 PM
Don't know if this has been talked about already or not, but is this turf even durable enough to be placed in outdoor conditions? Was it only designed to be indoors?

They put it indoors and outdoors

moosbah
09-06-2012, 01:51 PM

Most of the applications of this turf are outdoors.

IBleedYellow
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM
We never lost a game on the new turf!

tony
09-06-2012, 02:22 PM
Raising the bar for Oregon. Is playing in new uniforms that special anymore now when NDSU is playing on new turf every home game?

bisonmike2
09-06-2012, 02:28 PM
Raising the bar for Oregon. Is playing in new uniforms that special anymore now when NDSU is playing on new turf every home game?

I wouldn't mind seeing us put down this new turf somewhere on university land and then building a new, larger stadium around it.:)

TransAmBison
09-06-2012, 02:40 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing us put down this new turf somewhere on university land and then building a new, larger stadium around it.:)
Along the lines of what bisonmike has suggested, we could build an alternative* stadium...to go with the alternative* yellow jerseys.

*Don't get all excited AG, alternative as in different, not as in "parade"**

**Yes CAS, I'm talkin' 'bout teh parade where you carried your rainbow flag***

***I said flag.

tony
09-06-2012, 03:54 PM
Along the lines of what bisonmike has suggested, we could build an alternative* stadium...to go with the alternative* yellow jerseys.

Brilliant! Way to raise the stakes. As soon as Oregon copies NDSU and plays on new turf every home game, NDSU starts playing in a brand new stadium every week.

BisonNation11
09-07-2012, 12:12 AM
My mom brought me home a piece of the new turf v1.0! Best gift ever knowing I have a piece of undefeated history at home!

56BISON73
09-07-2012, 04:16 AM

*Don't get all excited AG, alternative as in different, not as in "parade"**

**Yes CAS, I'm talkin' 'bout teh parade where you carried your rainbow flag***

***I said flag.

OH oh. They could then play on yellow turf!!!!!!

Bison03
09-07-2012, 04:26 AM
Do we really need another field with field turf? Isn't that what dakotah field is for? I wouldn't mind it I guess, better then grass. If its going to cost 1 million, that money could better be used for the SHAC.

HerdBot
09-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Do we really need another field with field turf? Isn't that what dakotah field is for? I wouldn't mind it I guess, better then grass. If its going to cost 1 million, that money could better be used for the SHAC.

COST: The Sprinturf they put in Dacotah Field a few years ago cost $400,000. The million dollar quote is probably the cost to custom design, ship, tear out the old stuff, and install it in a dome with a special pit on short notice. Considering Astroturf already shipped it here, custom made it in Bison colors, and they may sell it at or below cost we may be able to get it for pennies on the dollar. Plus they owe us a favor since they are tying up the dome for a few weeks. If we can get it for cheap it's a no brainer.

Much of fall camp takes place on the grass fields and sometimes they get wet which makes it dangerous and sloppy. Studies have shown that less injuries occur on field turf than natural grass. (new stuff, not the old crap) http://www.fieldturf.com/artificial-turf-news/college-study-proves-fieldturf-safer-than-grass/

Other benefits include more practice time on the same surface as the home games, lower maintence, and it can actually be used later in the year. Grass in the late fall basically is as hard as concrete and you can't really shovel snow off of grass. The Soccer team actually practiced in the sports bubble a few times due to bad conditons before the new Dacotah Field turf was installed. I think it's another recruiting tool and another advantage over the competition, who are all looking at indoor practice facilities. The grass is becoming obselete because we only play on it once every 2 years and we will still have 2 full football fields worth.

A few hundred thousand or less won't kill the SHAC but that's assuming the money would come from it. We don't know if they have other sources of revenue available. I trust Gene Taylor to make the right decision

Sprinturf article - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-04-30-1140570687_x.htm

roadwarrior
09-07-2012, 07:22 PM
They cannot use money raised for the SHAC for this practice field. It would however be money that COULD go to that project.

Tatanka
09-07-2012, 07:23 PM
COST: The Sprinturf they put in Dacotah Field a few years ago cost $400,000. The million dollar quote is probably the cost to custom design, ship, tear out the old stuff, and install it in a dome with a special pit on short notice. Considering Astroturf already shipped it here, custom made it in Bison colors, and they may sell it at or below cost we may be able to get it for pennies on the dollar. Plus they owe us a favor since they are tying up the dome for a few weeks. If we can get it for cheap it's a no brainer.

Much of fall camp takes place on the grass fields and sometimes they get wet which makes it dangerous and sloppy. Studies have shown that less injuries occur on field turf than natural grass. (new stuff, not the old crap) http://www.fieldturf.com/artificial-turf-news/college-study-proves-fieldturf-safer-than-grass/

Other benefits include more practice time on the same surface as the home games, lower maintence, and it can actually be used later in the year. Grass in the late fall basically is as hard as concrete and you can't really shovel snow off of grass. I think it's another recruiting tool and another advantage over the competition, who are all looking at indoor practice facilities. The grass is becoming obselete because we only play on it once every 2 years and we will still have 2 full football fields worth.

A few hundred thousand or less won't kill the SHAC but that's assuming the money would come from it. We don't know if they have other sources of revenue available. I trust Gene Taylor to make the right decision

Sprinturf article - http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2009-04-30-1140570687_x.htm

I disagree.

the grass surface on NDSU's practice fields is far superior to the pasture they play on every other year.

CaBisonFan
09-07-2012, 07:28 PM
Question

How does artificial turf do outdoors with the shifting of the ground between seasons?

HerdBot
09-07-2012, 07:31 PM
They cannot use money raised for the SHAC for this practice field. It would however be money that COULD go to that project.

SO they could add the turf into the total project? Not a bad idea. We all know this isn't going to get started until next year so to add a few hundred thousand is probably a smart way to go... if it's even that much. I remember a few years ago they were talking about getting "donated labor" to help keep the cost down.

moosbah
09-07-2012, 07:33 PM
Question

How does artificial turf do outdoors with the shifting of the ground between seasons?

As far as I know, it's a "floating" surface. Isn't it? Akin to Turf Pergo.

roadwarrior
09-07-2012, 08:02 PM
Question

NDSU first installed artificial turf in 1975. Didn't seem to be a problem at Dacotah. I am pretty sure a lot of work goes into building the base for it. You just don't roll it out over black dirt or clay.