PDA

View Full Version : Voter fraud

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

tjbison
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
Sounds like we have a major problem involving several,players including Ojuri, gray, Marcus Williams and others

Oh boy

fargo_is_my_home
09-04-2012, 03:48 PM
At least five have been named by the AG reported KFGO for petition fraud regarding medical marijuana.

Bisonguy
09-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah just heard on kfgo. FFfFFFFfF7UUUUUUUUU!

Bison bison
Lock the thread now.

Bison bison
Wow.

that is embarrassing.

Bisonguy
09-04-2012, 03:50 PM
And it was petition fraud, or at least what I heard. Now it'd up to 8 current players facing charges.

Bisonguy
09-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Guess its 7 current and 1 former.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 03:52 PM
:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm: :facepalm::facepalm:

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/news/article/2-ND-initiatives-rejected-petition-fraud-alleged-3838141.php

b15on
09-04-2012, 03:53 PM
Yup....Mike McFeely

"BREAKING NEWS: Number of Bison football players charged with voter fraud. More now on 790 KFGO."

https://twitter.com/mikemcfeelykfgo/status/243012848408731648

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Marcus Williams is one did anyone hear the rest???

bluebison35
09-04-2012, 03:55 PM
Fresh. WR Gray was one, didnt hear any other names.

Go_Herd
09-04-2012, 03:56 PM
Sam Ojuri....

tjbison
09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Ojuri, gray, Williams, Pierre, colvin

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Charged with class A misdemeanor

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Slow down people. This could be as simple as them signing a petition while at the RRV Fair or some other public forum and using there ND addresses when they aren't ND citizens. They may not have known any better, and likely did not have the proper "intent" to commit fraud. Their individual signatures would not have been notarized, but the petition itself has to be, at least as far as I am aware. There are probably many students/people who signed the petition without knowing exactly what the proper protocol/residence requirements were.

Strikes me as a minor issue at best, but likely to be blown out of proportion by the media!!

Civil06
09-04-2012, 03:58 PM
What did they do? Sign a petition while not being ND Residents?

b15on
09-04-2012, 03:59 PM
Dom Izzo saying Shepard, Williams, Gray, Boyd, Colville, Ojuri, Pierre, Rodgers

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
What in the effin ef???

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 04:00 PM
What did they do? Sign a petition while not being ND Residents?

That's my guess (see post #11)--not a big deal at all IMO!!

EndZoneQB
09-04-2012, 04:01 PM
Slow down people. This could be as simple as them signing a petition while at the RRV Fair or some other public forum and using there ND addresses when they aren't ND citizens. They may not have known any better, and likely did not have the proper "intent" to commit fraud. Their individual signatures would not have been notarized, but the petition itself has to be, at least as far as I am aware. There are probably many students/people who signed the petition without knowing exactly what the proper protocol/residence requirements were.

Strikes me as a minor issue at best, but likely to be blown out of proportion by the media!!

Makes sense. Plus, the reason for the petition doesn't help any...

Civil06
09-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Izzo says they were soliciting signatures. Do they really have the time to spearhead a ballot innitiative? I hope CAS is right. This has to be like strike 7 for Sam Ojuri.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 04:03 PM

"Both campaigns relied on paid petition circulators. Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem says 11 of them are being prosecuted for fraud."
http://www.wday.com/event/article/id/68464/

bisonboone11
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM

This ^. I can't imagine this is an uncommon thing in college towns. The fact that thousands of names were dismissed makes me believe whoever was going around getting the petition signed asked college students to sign, many of which are not ND residents. I don't know that I would've known any better while in college.

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 04:04 PM

Tru dat, but if the media uses that as an "attention grabber" then they should also report that NDSU athletes are randomly tested for illegal substances, marijuana, steroids and the like, and NONE of these players have ever tested positive.

I am sure the Foolem will bold the latter part of my post when it reports on this.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM

^^^^this and the link says these were "paid petition circulators". Even if this blows over it's not a good look.

http://www.kfgo.com/news-details.php?ID=0000010460

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 04:05 PM

I don't think that is what happened. The news talked about people being paid to circulate petitions and get signatures. Two measures didn't make the cut because of the people circulating the petitions. I'm guessing those are the 11 people being charged.

A PILE of money was spent on these efforts and there will be accountability.

daddy daycare
09-04-2012, 04:06 PM
Izzo tweeted "soliciting signatures".

tjbison

My understanding is they were paid to gather signatures for the ballot measure. Did they also sign and that's what constitutes fraud?

mhyer63
Wow, this has the probability of being a major problem for the players named according to KFGO. Especially with coach Bohl being a no nonsense type when it comes to player discipline we could be looking at some suspensions if not players being kicked off the team all together. Reports are, that seven players are involved. Not trying to be a kill joy, but does anyone want to guess what our chances are against CSU now, or how the loss of these players will effect the rest of the season. I saw three big names on the list, how are our backups at those positions, does anyone know. I'm sure we would be ok at running back, but what about a replacement for Williams.

BisonNation11
09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Izzo says they were soliciting signatures. Do they really have the time to spearhead a ballot innitiative? I hope CAS is right. This has to be like strike 7 for Sam Ojuri.

IMO, they could have been asked to sign the petition, recognized, and asked to help get signatures due to their "celeb" status in the community. (Sorry, couldn't think of a better word than celeb) I'm hoping that's the case anyway and the only reason they are getting any attention is because of their names with ineligible addresses.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 04:08 PM
Josh Gatlin also named as one of the 11 charged

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 04:09 PM
My understanding is they were paid to gather signatures for the ballot measure. Did they also sign and that's what constitutes fraud?

I'm not sure, as I was not aware of this initially. If they were the ones who gathered the signatures, they likely signed and notarized them, and hence the fraud charges if signatures were obviously invalid. Given that they likely had many a college student sign them and should have know residency and other requirements is likely what is leading to the fraud charges. Still not a big deal in my opinion.

EndZoneQB
09-04-2012, 04:09 PM

I saw they were advertising on paying for circulating petitions, I thought that was normal?

SDbison
09-04-2012, 04:10 PM
Makes sense. Plus, the reason for the petition doesn't help any... This whole thing pisses me off.......really North Dakota? Don't you have better things to do? Recently, South Dakota threw out nearly 50% of the signatures in a petition drive, but nobody was prosecuted. What a bunch of BS. Of course, the medical marijuana cause would be put under the microscope in North Dakota.

EndZoneQB
09-04-2012, 04:11 PM
Wow, this has the probability of being a major problem for the players named according to KFGO. Especially with coach Bohl being a no nonsense type when it comes to player discipline we could be looking at some suspensions if not players being kicked off the team all together. Reports are, that seven players are involved. Not trying to be a kill joy, but does anyone want to guess what our chances are against CSU now, or how the loss of these players will effect the rest of the season. I saw three big names on the list, how are our backups at those positions, does anyone know. I'm sure we would be ok at running back, but what about a replacement for Williams.

I'm sure they will get legal opinions and everyone will be in a holding pattern. This is far different than breaking most laws as it is not "common" knowledge. Obviously, ignorance is no excuse, but still...

westnodak93bison
If the players were employed to do a job wouldnt the employer be the responsible party?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

*Bisonrube
Guessing the FRAUD part is making up false names of the ballot and signing fake names. They get paid for getting names for petition.

Grizzled
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
Its weird that all those guys have a condition that they need medical mary jane.

EndZoneQB
09-04-2012, 04:12 PM
This whole thing pisses me off.......really North Dakota? Don't you have better things to do? Recently, South Dakota threw out nearly 50% of the signatures in a petition drive, but nobody was prosecuted. What a bunch of BS. Of course, the medical marijuana cause would be put under the microscope in North Dakota.

And of course they would target the athletes on the list. So...only those certain people were paid to circulate?

Didn't a ton of signatures get thrown out for the Fighting Sioux thing earlier this year too? No charges were brought for that??

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 04:13 PM
Quit using fun words like "soliciting" and "marijuana" and "fraud". The media will run with it.

This will shock you guys, but I'm going to believe this was an honest mistake by folks thinking they could sign a petition in ND when in reality they weren't ND residents/citizens.

However, if they were circulators and committed fraud in certifying the signatures they turned in, they have a problem.

SDSUAlum08
All I can say is that this WOULD happen to NDSU football. Seems like a bunch of BS.

CAS4127
I saw they were advertising on paying for circulating petitions, I thought that was normal?

It is, and an easy way to make some quick cash. Not a big deal IMO. If convicted/plead guilty, they will likely get deferred imposition of sentences, meaning their record will be cleared after a year or so provided they do not commit any same or similar offenses in that 1 year period. My guess is that Bohl does not make any suspension decisions, and that he will address this issue clearly and quickly to make things clear for the general public. This just needs to be handled correctly by Bohl and NDSU public relations and all will be good . . . and likely quiet within a week or so.

missingnumber7
Izzo tweeted "soliciting signatures".So they are being charged with solicitation? We have prostitutes as FB players?

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM

If they made up names and addresses or went through the phone book and got names to put on the petition and then signed the affidavit, that's a problem. Easy to document too. Just ask the people on the petition if they signed it.

It's a Class A Misdemeanor and not a huge thing in the overall scheme of things (for most people). For a highly visible representative of NDSU? I guess we'll see.

tjbison
09-04-2012, 04:14 PM

I seen the guys at rib feast getting signatures but never stopped for info, I can't imagine college kids getting extra cash as a job could do to much to destroy the ballot measure unless them being paid to get signatures in turn also signed them, then the signatures they gathered would be thrown out

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:20 PM
and likely quiet within a week or so.

this is among the funniest things i've ever read on bisonville.

KTF
09-04-2012, 04:20 PM
didn't you guys get stopped on saturday at the game outside of tailgating(NE corner by 19th ave and BWW)? My wife and I were stopped, the guys asked me if we were from ND, we couldn't sign(MN residents). They were getting singatures on a petition for something, never asked but they were from california as we had to tell one of them how far away MN was. Had I had a ND address they would had me sign, whether I was a a true resident or not. Heck I could have said yes and they would have jsut had me sign, didn't look like a highly organized outfit running the show...

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:22 PM
that is a common experience, but i don't remember thousands of petitions being thrown out and collectors charged with fraud.

mhyer63
09-04-2012, 04:24 PM
I see we have two threads on this, this one seems to have more information. If these players are guilty of what they are saying, are we looking at suspensions, or is it going to be more like a slap on the wrist and a "now you know not to do that again" kind of thing. From what is being said here and on the radio about what could have possibly happened it sounds very minor and something that most people would have no real clue about it being wrong to do. Thing that I wonder about is coach Bohl being a no nonsense disciplinarian and will they be punished for something that even though it is wrong, could be very minor. Not trying to start any false rumors, just wondering about scenarios that could play out.

bisonhp330
09-04-2012, 04:27 PM
the link to the a.g.'s page....http://www.ag.state.nd.us/documents/09-04-12.pdf

a (http://www.ag.state.nd.us/documents/09-04-12.pdf)nd the list of who is being charged:

Charges have been filed against Aireal Boyd, Josh Colville, Josh Gatlin, Demetrius
Grey, Jennifer Krahn, Lane O’Brien, Samuel Ojuri, Brendin Pierre, Antonio Rodgers,
Bryan Shepherd and Marcus Williams, for facilitation of voter fraud or filing a false
statement. The charges are Class A Misdemeanors

looks like all NDSU or related players. F'in morons.

Kujava23
09-04-2012, 04:28 PM
Yup, I saw them out with clipboards this summer looking for signatures---were on Broadway during the Classic Car nights.
Dumb mistake--cmon guys---would guess action will be taken----suspensions

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 04:30 PM
Obvious question.....Did Coach know these guys were doing this?

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't make light of this. This is a big deal. I believe that Millions of dollars have been spent on these initiatives and now they won't be on the ballot because of fraud. Not to mention the people that actually signed petitions expecting it to matter. This isn't going away and these weren't innocent mistakes. Maybe stupidity in understanding how serious an affidavit is.

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Yup, I saw them out with clipboards this summer looking for signatures---were on Broadway during the Classic Car nights.

I doubt there will be suspensions. I can guarantee Bohl has known about this issue for quite some time. He let Jemison go based upon an investigation even prior to charges being brought. My guess is that this will be an internal type of discipline. If not, I think Bohl would have made suspensions prior to RMU game.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Of the 37,785 signatures submitted, more than
17,034 were deemed invalid, leaving the measure 7,938 signatures short. For the
statutory medical marijuana measure, 13,452 signatures are necessary. Of the 20,092
signatures submitted, only 12,533 were determined to be valid, leaving the committee
more than 900 signatures short.

KSBisonFan
KFGO just said "made up" signatures and some copied from a phone book.

Leonardite

I saw them out too, but not the same night you did.. For whatever it's worth, the petition they had was for the conservation fund initiative.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Reminds me of the daily show clip where they go out to get people to sign a petition to end women's sufferage just to prove a point that nobody looks at or understands what they are signing when they sign a petition.

bisonfan11
09-04-2012, 04:35 PM
This is really stupid. I'm sorry but if the law enforcement is out to make such a big deal out of it then it proves local law enforcement is a joke. There are so many worse things that the NDSU student athletes could be doing. If it is found that they are guilty the ONLY punishment they should receive is their Nov. voting rights be revoked. These are not hardened criminals. There has been a lot worse that NDSU student athletes have done than "voter fraud". It's stupid that the Fargo law enforcement team is trying to "make an example" of them. There are worst things going on in Fargo than this. I should know I lived in the area for 7 years...

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Of the 37,785 signatures submitted, more than
17,034 were deemed invalid, leaving the measure 7,938 signatures short. For the
statutory medical marijuana measure, 13,452 signatures are necessary. Of the 20,092
signatures submitted, only 12,533 were determined to be valid, leaving the committee
more than 900 signatures short.

So, they forged the signatures? If so, that would be very, very bad and can't see how this would be internal discipline, only. If they just helped try to get legit signatures on behalf of others who were forging them, hard for me to be too harsh on them.

Herd Hauler
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
Bohl news conf. scheduled at 12:45

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:37 PM
This is really stupid. I'm sorry but if the law enforcement is out to make such a big deal out of it then it proves local law enforcement is a joke. There are so many worse things that the NDSU student athletes could be doing. If it is found that they are guilty the ONLY punishment they should receive is their Nov. voting rights be revoked. These are not hardened criminals. There has been a lot worse that NDSU student athletes have done than "voter fraud". It's stupid that the Fargo law enforcement team is trying to "make an example" of them. There are worst things going on in Fargo than this. I should know I lived in the area for 7 years...

You just topped CAS' post.

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 04:39 PM

BCI would have investigated, not Fargo/Cass County law enforcment.

The_Sicatoka
The "how to" guide to petition process in ND: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/pdfs/Portals/initiating.pdf

If they turned in signatures and signed an affidavit to the authenticity of the signatures knowing they were bad signatures, yeah, that's the definition of fraud.

The penalty is an A misdeameanor? Isn't the the same penalty for airing one's junk in public after a "wardrobe malfunction" whilest studying (in July) at the mall?

The_Sicatoka
KFGO just said "made up" signatures and some copied from a phone book.

Hence, charges.

Not good.

PlainsBison
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
This is serious stuff if they didn't do the process correctly (put down names of people and then signed for them). I have to believe that there will be some serious penalties. If I did this in my job, I would be fired, and my reputation would be harmed, making it hard for me to get another job. Understand, it's your integrity. That's why this is so serious.

bisonboone11
09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Bohl news conf. scheduled at 12:45Any idea where I can see/listen to this?

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 04:41 PM
This is serious stuff if they didn't do the process correctly (put down names of people and then signed for them). I have to believe that there will be some serious penalties. If I did this in my job, I would be fired, and my reputation would be harmed, making it hard for me to get another job. Understand, it's your integrity. That's why this is so serious.

I completely agree with CAS, however, that we need to know more before figuring out just how serious this is.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
Obvious question.....Did Coach know these guys were doing this? Does coach need to know. These guys are all adults, and the last time I checked this is the United States of America and it should be OK to be part of a request to change our laws. As far as petition drives go those collecting them have always left it up to me to read all the statements that I sign. They are just out there to get the petitions in front of people, not required to verify if I meet all the requirements to be able to sign.
Seems to me lawyers in ND mostly come from UND and thus the reason this particular petition being prosecuted. Every petition drive has hundreds if not thousands of duplicate and non-qualified signatures. First the nature of this petition drive, then the fact some NDSU athletes were involved.
If the AG went back and looked he could prosecute any and every petition drive including UND's name fiasco. This whole issue is politically motivated. And yes, I truly believe this!

Grizzled
09-04-2012, 04:42 PM
I doubt there will be suspensions. I can guarantee Bohl has known about this issue for quite some time. He let Jemison go based upon an investigation even prior to charges being brought. My guess is that this will be an internal type of discipline. If not, I think Bohl would have made suspensions prior to RMU game.

Lets say a few of the guys on the list have had mary jane issues in the past that were also handled "internally" with a slap on the wrist. Does getting charged with voter fraud to legalize the stuff show the coachng staff you have grown up and moved on? Maybe some harsher "internal type of dicipline" at the beginning would have helped.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:43 PM
what you should know is that the charges have been filed.

this is a big deal.

bisonmike2
Thank you North Dakota Attorney General Wayne Stenehjem and Secretary of State Al Jaeger for devoting your time to this. For had you not investigated this manner thoroughly the citizens of ND might have had to vote on the statutory initiative for medical marijuana which as we all know contains the word 'marijuana' and is by default bad. Again, thank you for protecting the people of ND.

Vitojr130

This. A lot of the players listed are from out of state. If they signed their name on the ballot, then it's voter fraud. For some reason, I don't think they have had enough time to actively go about and push this petition as out of state residents, so I bet that this is the case. Hell, I'm a MN resident and some guy standing outside of Sunmart on University asked me to sign something so they could have the chance to put it up to vote. My view is that a lot of things should be left up to the voters, so I signed to give them that chance. I had no clue you couldn't do that if you are still claiming residency in another state, but yet live in Fargo. If this is what happened (and I bet it is) this is totally unnewsworthy and is a ploy to just make a bunch of news.

Everyone just needs to calm down.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 04:45 PM
Does coach need to know. These guys are all adults, and the last time I checked this is the United States of America and it should be OK to be part of a request to change our laws. As far as petition drives go those collecting them have always left it up to me to read all the statements that I sign. They are just out there to get the petitions in front of people, not required to verify if I meet all the requirements to be able to sign.
Seems to me lawyers in ND mostly come from UND and thus the reason this particular petition being prosecuted. Every petition drive has hundreds if not thousands of duplicate and non-qualified signatures. First the nature of this petition drive, then the fact some NDSU athletes were involved.
If the AG went back and looked he could prosecute any and every petition drive including UND's name fiasco. This whole issue is politically motivated. And yes, I truly believe this!

If a college athlete is working part-time and being compensated, I'd say the coach should and would want to know.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
BCI would have investigated, not Fargo/Cass County law enforcment.

BCI did investigate.

http://www.ag.state.nd.us/documents/09-04-12.pdf

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 04:48 PM
Lets say a few of the guys on the list have had mary jane issues in the past that were also handled "internally" with a slap on the wrist. Does getting charged with voter fraud to legalize the stuff show the coachng staff you have grown up and moved on? Maybe some harsher "internal type of dicipline" at the beginning would have helped.

Thank you for adding unsubstantiated rumors that could soil a players reputations/futures unfairly due to the public nature of this forum.

Bison 4 Life
09-04-2012, 04:50 PM

This.

Voter fraud is a really sexy thing to charge, but it is not necessarily what everyone thinks it is.

CAS4127
If a college athlete is working part-time and being compensated, I'd say the coach should and would want to know.

The named players would have been interviewed by BCI investigators. If my read on most of the named players is correct, they let coach Bohl know of the investigation, and Coach Bohl may very well have talked to the BCI investigators during the investigative process.

heckler
Thank you for adding unsubstantiated rumors that could soil a players reputations/futures unfairly due to the public nature of this forum.

Exactly what a f*****g moron.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
It's a conspiracy by big pharma to keep medical mary jane off of the ballot. The NDSU players are just pawns.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Does coach need to know. These guys are all adults, and the last time I checked this is the United States of America and it should be OK to be part of a request to change our laws. As far as petition drives go those collecting them have always left it up to me to read all the statements that I sign. They are just out there to get the petitions in front of people, not required to verify if I meet all the requirements to be able to sign.

That's false.

The investigation revealed that several circulators of the petitions had forged signatures on the petitions, either by taking names from the telephone directory, cell phone contact lists of the circulators, or simply making up names of people.

TransAmBison
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Exactly what a f*****g moron.
If Grizzled said it, I would be inclined to believe it. Just sayin'.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 04:52 PM
The "how to" guide to petition process in ND: https://vip.sos.nd.gov/pdfs/Portals/initiating.pdf

If they turned in signatures and signed an affidavit to the authenticity of the signatures knowing they were bad signatures, yeah, that's the definition of fraud.

The penalty is an A misdeameanor? Isn't the the same penalty for airing one's junk in public after a "wardrobe malfunction" whilest studying (in July) at the mall? Key words in bold above........going to need some evidence this is true. In fact, before charges are made there better be more than just an allegation that there were bogus signatures. Again EVERY petition drive has a good percentage of the signatures thrown out. How should a person getting a minimum wage be required to be responsible for authenticity of the signatures? It's up to the state to verify enough valid signatures before putting an issue on the ballot. Going to have to prove all these guys were placing known bad signatures on the petition.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Dude. The petitions were filled with forgeries.

Signed,
Smokey McPufferson

NDSU '96
That's false.

The investigation revealed that several circulators of the petitions had forged signatures on the petitions, either by taking names from the telephone directory, cell phone contact lists of the circulators, or simply making up names of people.

If Bison players have been charged with doing that, how in the hell do they survive this week to play on Saturday?

heckler
If Grizzled said it, I would be inclined to believe it. Just sayin'.

That's not the issue here. The issue here is that it shouldn't be said.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
That's false.

I wonder what made them suspicious? Did they look at the petition and see a lot of
I.P. Freeley
Phillip McButt
Ivana Man
Harry Paratesties
Peter North

...I could really do this all day.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 04:55 PM
If Bison players have been charged with doing that, how in the hell do they survive this week to play on Saturday?

I think it's 50/50 that we'll hear that NDSU now only has four CBs in less than an hour.

HerdBot
09-04-2012, 04:56 PM
What? I don't buy it. I actually signed one from one of the players and it was for the clean water act. I think this smells like a conspiracy. Is it possible someone signed on behalf of someone else and they didn't know it? Is Stenjeum a Sioux fan?

Bison-Knuckle
09-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Sky is Falling....Chicken Littles!
Plea Bargin with some community service at the old folks home....
So how badly are we going to beat CSU?

Bison bison
What? I don't buy it. I actually signed one from one of the players and it was for the clean water act. I think this smells like a conspiracy

It has to be a conspiracy.

bisonmike2
What? I don't buy it. I actually signed one from one of the players and it was for the clean water act. I think this smells like a conspiracy

Maybe you signed a petition for the "clean bong water act"?

CAS4127

They are "charged" not convicted. If I were there attorney, I would arrange for arraingments early next week, get plea agreements in place, and have them plead guilty at arraignment. They could then sit out the Prairie View game as a disciplinary measure throught Bohl/NDSU.

SportsLover
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM
I think it's 50/50 that we'll hear that NDSU now only has four CBs in less than an hour.

I do not see players getting kicked off the team for this. Suspensions are a good possibility

Mr. Burgundy
09-04-2012, 04:58 PM

Grizzled should be banned. Sick of his constant axe to grind against Ojuri. Disappointed to have to continually read the stuff he puts on a public forum.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 04:59 PM

I'm guessing we get the "let the legal process work it's way out and we'll deal with it internally". Really disappointed with this news. Whether it's true or not, once again we've got guys putting themselves in a bad situation.

tjbison
09-04-2012, 04:59 PM
I do not see players getting kicked off the team for this. Suspensions are a good possibility

Ojuri is one who would probably be gone he has a track record, but either way what a stupid thing to do by all of them

HerdBot
09-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Conspiracy

Wayne Stenehjem was born in Mohall, North Dakota, and he graduated from Bismarck High School in 1971 and Bismarck State College in 1972. He attended the University of North Dakota and the UND School of Law, graduating in 1977.

Jaeger was born in Beulah, ND in 1943. Raised in Beulah, he graduated from its high school in 1961. He attended Bismarck State College and in 1963 earned an Associate of Arts degree. In 1966, he received a Bachelor of Science degree from Dickinson State University majoring in Business Education with a minor in Speech. He also completed post-graduate work at the University of North Dakota

Sioux27

As deep as you guys are this year, I would still bet on you guys this weekend.

NorthernBison

The players were working on that petition drive and not the marijuana one.

The allegations are rather easy to prove or disprove. Just poll the people on the petitions to see if they signed. Your answer would be YES. If a bunch of others say they never signed it, then whoever signed the affidavit has a problem.

FYI, charges wouldn't have been filed if the above hadn't already been done. I'd say the investigation is completed.

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Charges have been filed against Aireal Boyd, Josh Colville, Josh Gatlin, Demetrius Grey, Jennifer Krahn, Lane O’Brien, Samuel Ojuri, Brendin Pierre, Antonio Rodgers, Bryan Shepherd and Marcus Williams, for facilitation of voter fraud or filing a false statement. The charges are Class A Misdemeanors. The criminal complaints allege that each of the circulators of a petition are required to sign an affidavit stating they witnessed all the signatures and that all signatures are genuine. However, the investigation found that the statements were not correct and that many of the individuals whose signatures appeared on the petitions had not, in fact, signed them.

The Cass County State’s Attorney’s Office will be handling the prosecution of these cases. The maximum penalty for a Class A misdemeanor is one year's imprisonment, a fine of two thousand dollars, or both.

heckler
09-04-2012, 05:01 PM
Grizzled should be banned. Sick of his constant axe to grind against Ojuri. Disappointed to have to continually read the stuff he puts on a public forum.

Don't worry though Transam believes in him. We should all be ok with it.

NDSU '96
09-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Good strategy. Sit them for a game you know you can win without them and play them while the legal process plays out. Question becomes, does Bohl want the CSU win bad enough to take the media heat?

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Good strategy. Sit them for a game you know you can win without them and play them while the legal process plays out. Question becomes, does Bohl want the CSU win bad enough to take the media heat?

We'll find out in about 40 minutes.

SDbison
Tony and Moderators.....................please move this thread to Bison Commons. Much as it could affect Bison football players we don't know at this time. Thanks!

HerdBot
They are "charged" not convicted. If I were there attorney, I would arrange for arraingments early next week, get plea agreements in place, and have them plead guilty at arraignment. They could then sit out the Prairie View game as a disciplinary measure throught Bohl/NDSU.

If Bohl suspends half the team for this bullshit I will be pissed. I really don't buy it. They are accused. It just doesn't seem right. And the media is trying to spin it like they are pot heads or something. The petition system is definitely broken. What if one person were to sign for their wife and never told her? WHo knows if the company they were working for did a half assed job of training them.

Sioux27
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Conspiracy

Wayne Stenehjem was born in Mohall, North Dakota, and he graduated from Bismarck High School in 1971 and Bismarck State College in 1972. He attended the University of North Dakota and the UND School of Law, graduating in 1977.

Jaeger was born in Beulah, ND in 1943. Raised in Beulah, he graduated from its high school in 1961. He attended Bismarck State College and in 1963 earned an Associate of Arts degree. In 1966, he received a Bachelor of Science degree from Dickinson State University majoring in Business Education with a minor in Speech. He also completed post-graduate work at the University of North Dakota

It's payback for the govenor starting a chant a few months ago "Here we go Bison, here we go" (Sorry, I can't get this in purple font for some reason).

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 05:05 PM
Voter fraud is an A misdemeanor.

An A misdemeanor charge (not conviction, charge) got Brendan Jemison booted from Mr. Bohl's team.

Today's secret word is 'precedent'.

We'll see if Mr. Bohl follows his own.

Bison-Knuckle
09-04-2012, 05:06 PM
We're not talking about NY Times and MSNBC media heat here....were talking about the Forum and KFGO....I think Bohl will handle this just fine. Class A misdemeanor.....plea bargain.....boys sit out vs. prairie view.....i continue to eat the loaded nachos at the Fargo Dome and watch our boys roll into the 2012 playoffs.

tjbison
09-04-2012, 05:07 PM

An A misdemeanor charge (not conviction, charge) got Brendan Jemison booted from Mr. Bohl's team.

Remember it wasn't Brandon's first strike, let's not forget that

EmeraldCityBison
The players were working on that petition drive and not the marijuana one.

The allegations are rather easy to prove or disprove. Just poll the people on the petitions to see if they signed. Your answer would be YES. If a bunch of others say they never signed it, then whoever signed the affidavit has a problem.

FYI, charges wouldn't have been filed if the above hadn't already been done. I'd say the investigation is completed.

How can the state prove that another petition signer, someone unknown to the petition gatherer, didn't sign the petition for all of his or her neighbors or sign a fictitious name?

Bison bison
And Brandon wasn't trying to defraud the State of North Dakota...

CAS4127
Conspiracy

Gabe, I know both of these gentlemen--"conspiracy" against NDSU football and or NDSU in general is not what is going on here, not even close. They are performing their respective elected-official responsibilities. Period. Let's not even go there, please!!

SDbison
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
If Bohl suspends half the team for this bullshit I will be pissed. I really don't buy it. They are accused. It just doesn't seem right. And the media is trying to spin it like they are pot heads or something. The petition system is definitely broken. What if one person were to sign for their wife and never told her? This is where I believe petition gatherers only have limited responsibility for the authenticity of a petition signature. How can they verify a petition signature is not made up by the person signing? What about the guy who signs 10 different times at 10 different locations?

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 05:08 PM
How can the state prove that another petition signer, someone unknown to the petition gatherer, didn't sign the petition for all of his or her neighbors or sign a fictitious name?

It's not one signature. It's hundreds/thousands.

The names were from phonebooks, made up, etc.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:09 PM

Well now that the UND fan has weighed in on this I feel much better.

There is a big difference between allegedly showing your cock in public and signing a fictitious name on a sheet of paper.

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM

Sic, knock it off. These are completely different charges, and there is way more to Jemison's deal than what you, or most here, know. Take your "precedent" ass back of to whosports.com.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 05:10 PM
Gabe, I know both of these gentlemen--"conspiracy" against NDSU football and or NDSU in general is not what is going on here, not even close. They are performing their respective elected-official responsibilities. Period. Let's not even go there, please!! Yeah sure.........how close did they look at the petitions submitted regarded the UND Fighting Sioux name? You lawyers all stick up for each other, just like realtors, used car salesmen, etc.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 05:11 PM
It hasn't been specified which petition these players were getting signatures for. The media seems to have made the automatic assumption it was the medical marijuana petition. The charges and the medical marijuana initiative are mentioned in the same sentence on the news updates I've heard.

Bisonwinagn
09-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Why are Bison football players involved with some political agenda in the first place? Their stupidity was to be involved and is it even legal for them to get paid to solicit signatures? They should know to stay as far away as possible from anything political especially in an election year.

HerdBot

Need facts. When the facts on Jemison came out it was obvious. This is completely different. Were the people signing the signatures lying? Did they forge them? Did they actually understand the severity of this? Were they trained on how to handle it? What's the motive for forging signatures on the clean water act petition? Do they care that much?

Bison"FANatic"
Tony and Moderators.....................please move this thread to Bison Commons. Much as it could affect Bison football players we don't know at this time. Thanks!

Are you kidding me, take off the green and gold glasses for a second. This is not good, not program killing or best buy type stuff but it is not good. A few names here and there wrong is one thing but thousands shows a intent to commit the fraud and then to sign your name to it. This was their job, if I committed fraud to this degree in my work I would lose my license. Systemic bad decision making because people didn't want to do the job they were hired to do.

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah sure.........how close did they look at the petitions submitted regarded the UND Fighting Sioux name? You lawyers all stick up for each other, just like realtors, used car salesmen, etc.

GFY Dave-->and Jaeger isn't a lawyer you dumb ass!!

westriver bison
Gabe, I know both of these gentlemen--"conspiracy" against NDSU football and or NDSU in general is not what is going on here, not even close. They are performing their respective elected-official responsibilities. Period. Let's not even go there, please!!

I agree. Both of these men are very proffesional. I just saw on the news Donald Duck and Eric Holder were two of the signitures that were on the petitions.

tjbison
We're not talking about NY Times and MSNBC media heat here....were talking about the Forum and KFGO....I think Bohl will handle this just fine. Class A misdemeanor.....plea bargain.....boys sit out vs. prairie view.....i continue to eat the loaded nachos at the Fargo Dome and watch our boys roll into the 2012 playoffs.

Again is it their first issue, we know who's it isn't and I assume Williams, Pierre, Colvin, Gray and Rodgers have a clean record

bisonmike2
Yeah sure.........how close did they look at the petitions submitted regarded the UND Fighting Sioux name? You lawyers all stick up for each other, just like realtors, used car salesmen, etc.

Exactly. I'd like to know how many signatures where tossed out on that petition?

Bison Dan
09-04-2012, 05:14 PM

We'll see if Mr. Bohl follows his own.Lot's of other factors involved with Jemison - so if you don't know what you're talking about don't post.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Again is it their first issue, we know who's it isn't and I assume Williams, Pierre, Colvin, Gray and Rodgers have a clean record

Well Williams did start the "Sioux Suck" chant at that prep rally. According to The Sictoka he should have been expelled for that.

Bison bison
The press conference with be on KFGO.

SDbison
GFY Dave-->and Jaeger isn't a lawyer you dumb ass!! Touch a sensitive nerve? OK, just like doctors you lawyers all stick up for each other........feel better now?

KSBisonFan
KFGO will carry news conference

tjbison
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM

Oh boy.......

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2012, 05:16 PM

The newspaper article says they were hired at $9/hour to gather signatures.

1998braves64
09-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Just because a signature is thrown out doesn't mean it was invalid, my understanding is if too many are illegitimate then that whole series of petition signed signatures is thrown out, not sure what the threshold is or if I recall this right. They can't go through and verify every signature they just spot check. If this is the case could have been a lot fewer than what were thrown out.

HerdBot
09-04-2012, 05:18 PM
This is where I believe petition gatherers only have limited responsibility for the authenticity of a petition signature. How can they verify a petition signature is not made up by the person signing? What about the guy who signs 10 different times at 10 different locations?

What about college kids who just moved to North Dakota and didn't tell him they are residents of other states? Or what about a Sioux fan who signs someone else?

NDSUstudent
09-04-2012, 05:20 PM
Not sure what to think about this, seems like a lot of rumors are floating around and people are jumping to conclusions based on them. If true punishment's obviously need to be dished out but what they should be I don't know.

Sent from my MB886

Bison Dan
I have to wonder at what point do they bring charges? How many bad names on thge petitions constitute charges?

Bison-Knuckle
Why are Bison football players involved with some political agenda in the first place? Their stupidity was to be involved and is it even legal for them to get paid to solicit signatures? They should know to stay as far away as possible from anything political especially in an election year. God forbid if a football player ever wants to be involved with politics. It's a summer-part-time job!!! If I remember correctly, Gerald Ford played football for Michigan....Alan Page....yes football players can be interested in our country's politics.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 05:21 PM
I have to wonder at what point do they bring charges? How many bad names on thge petitions constitute charges?

Charges have been filed against Aireal Boyd, Josh Colville, Josh Gatlin, Demetrius
Grey, Jennifer Krahn, Lane O’Brien, Samuel Ojuri, Brendin Pierre, Antonio Rodgers,
Bryan Shepherd and Marcus Williams, for facilitation of voter fraud or filing a false
statement. The charges are Class A Misdemeanors.

NDSU '96
09-04-2012, 05:23 PM
What about college kids who just moved to North Dakota and didn't tell him they are residents of other states? Or what about a Sioux fan who signs someone else?
The AG document is more specific than the straws you seem to be grasping at.

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2012, 05:23 PM
KFGO will carry news conference
oh goodie. i get to listen to some jack and sandy now

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Not sure what to think about this, seems like a lot of rumors are floating around and people are jumping to conclusions based on them. If true punishment's obviously need to be dished out but what they should be I don't know.

Sent from my MB886

Jumping to conclusions? There's a mat for that.
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/additional/large/office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Hammerhead
09-04-2012, 05:24 PM
It's just a misdemeanor charge. Just give Coach a week to do his own investigation and then make them sit out the Prairie View A&M game. :)

Sioux27
09-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Well now that the UND fan has weighed in on this I feel much better.

There is a big difference between allegedly showing your cock in public and signing a fictitious name on a sheet of paper.

BM2 - This is my vote for post of the year.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2012, 05:29 PM

SD is right on. ND attorney general is a UND grad.

SDSUAlum08
09-04-2012, 05:32 PM
The 2011 championship must be removed from the record books!!!

MNLonghorn10
BM2 - This is my vote for post of the year.
haha. the bob stoops way

tjbison
SD is right on. ND attorney general is a UND grad.

Do you honestly think they would do all this out of spite?? Come on.....

tony
09-04-2012, 05:34 PM
Very disappointing.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:34 PM

I doubt this has anything to do with NDSU but I would still guess that the UND Fighting Sioux petitions were not examined as thoroughly for fraud.

Tatanka
09-04-2012, 05:35 PM
What? I don't buy it. I actually signed one from one of the players and it was for the clean water act. I think this smells like a conspiracy. Is it possible someone signed on behalf of someone else and they didn't know it? Is Stenjeum a Sioux fan?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsqeqy6Pfj1qcdxq3.jpg

Seriously. Just stop.

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 05:36 PM

I must say, we are clearly stooping to whosports.com levels with this kind of talk. This is a big deal, and if I was in their shoes and felt they had done what the statement accuses them of, I would prosecute them too. I would do the same for anyone who did this, not just players, as making/repealing laws is kind of a big deal. ("Kind of" was meant as harsh sarcasm for those who do not understand the law making process.)

Let's keep a level head on this.

NDSUBowler
09-04-2012, 05:38 PM
VERY disappointed the players would put themselves and their team in this position.

VERY disappointed the state is going to make a bigger deal out of this publicly since it involves NDSU players and marijuana.

VERY VERY nervous for what the press conference has to say in a few minutes.

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2012, 05:39 PM
wow sandy is stupid.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 05:41 PM

I hope this is how it all shakes out.

tjbison
I must say, we are clearly stooping to whosports.com levels with this kind of talk. This is a big deal, and if I was in their shoes and felt they had done what the statement accuses them of, I would prosecute them too. I would do the same for anyone who did this, not just players, as making/repealing laws is kind of a big deal. ("Kind of" was meant as harsh sarcasm for those who do not understand the law making process.)

Let's keep a level head on this.

I'm not the one who thinks it is a UND grad agains NDSU, I think anyone who does needs a pshycologist

walknroehl
wow sandy is stupid.

LOL. Its been that way for years!

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2012, 05:43 PM
yay. farm talk.

most boring interview ever

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:45 PM
listening kfgo right now.

***BREAKING NEWS*****

The northern part of the county got a 1/4 inch of rain last night.

GOB1SON
I am sure every petition that is sent in has some signatures that are suspect and probably made up.

The issue here has to be the shear size of the fraud:

For the Clean Water bill, 17,034 of the 37,785 signatures submitted were fraudulent.

For the Marajuna bill, 7,558 of the 20,092 signatures submitted were fraudulent.

The petitioners had to sign an affidavit that each signature was genuine.

That has to be the issue. Not a witch hunt or a UND conspiracy.

IBleedYellow
All that I know is I am sitting here waiting for KFGO to go to Bohl so that he can kick all these players off the team.

Sucks that his precedent has been so strict.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 05:46 PM
Sugar beets!

tjbison
yay. farm talk.

She is terrible

SDbison
Do you honestly think they would do all this out of spite?? Come on..... Yes........just like they did not look as closely at the UND Fighting Sioux name petition. First they looked more closely at this petition because it involves medical marijuana, then when they saw NDSU football players names they looked even closer. I would bet my annual salary that similar stuff (goofy names, etc)were on the UND petition.
I might add if the NDSU players themselves did the actual false name entries themselves they derserve whatever punishment they get, but they should not be responsible for screening every name on the petition they collect.

Rockbear99
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxT7QjlvDqM
Manditory for all football players and other athletes from this point on

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 05:47 PM
yay. farm talk.

Wish Bohl's presser was gonna be boring.

bisonboone11
09-04-2012, 05:48 PM
All that I know is I am sitting here waiting for KFGO to go to Bohl so that he can kick all these players off the team.

Sucks that his precedent has been so strict.Do you have a link?

Bison bison
Nothing's going to happen until after the legal process has run its course...

IBleedYellow
Woah damn! He's giving them a day in court, with Jemison he got booted once charges were filed, no?

EndZoneQB
No suspensions. Letting the legal process play out.

My god, bville is getting pwned right now...sloowwwww lol

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:49 PM
Players will play and go though the legal process.

NDSU '96
Bohl says he will let legal process play out and after that he will determine team punishment! CSU here we come!

Tatanka
Bohl has known about this for a while.
Compliance officer consulted.
Players will go through legal process.

EndZoneQB
09-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Woah damn! He's giving them a day in court, with Jemison he got booted once charges were filed, no?

Dude, he had his f*cking cock out in public. Good riddance.

NDSUBowler
09-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Good that Bohl has known about it for a few weeks...it means that they have a plan in action for dealing with the charges, likely as stated before, suspended at some point (likely for the PVAM game)

Surprised it didn't leak ahead of time...no word on this until charges were filed.

bisonhp330
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM

its not 'local law enforcement' so put away the green and gold glasses and the 'out to get the ndsu student' this is being done through the Attorney General's Office for the state of ND. It only counts if they are 'hardened criminals'? so what is the definition of that.......? the dumb shits should know better plain and simple- ignoranceof the law is not a defense.....it is only tolerated on message boards.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 05:51 PM

Again there is a big difference between what Jemison is accused of and what these players are. One is sexual in nature, one is not, unless they are being accused of signing the petitions...with their junk....in public.

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 05:52 PM
Good move by Coach. Now to get it resolved so any possible suspensions can be Sept 22.

IBleedYellow

Agreed.

Just glad to see that Jemison wasn't a precedent like some people thought it would be.

SDbison
Do you honestly think they would do all this out of spite?? Come on..... Yes........just like they did not look as closely at the UND Fighting Sioux name petition. First they looked more closely at this petition because it involves medical marijuana, then when they saw NDSU football players names they looked even closer. I would bet my annual salary that similar stuff (goofy names, etc)were on the UND petition.
I might add if the NDSU players themselves did the actual false name entries themselves they deserve whatever punishment they get, but they should not be responsible for screening every name on the petition they collect.

MNLonghorn10
09-04-2012, 05:53 PM
lets play a drinking game...everytime bohl says these guys deserve their day in court...drink.

heckler

How does that feel? Like getting frost bite while wearing sandals through a snow bank?

CaBisonFan
How do you prove thousands of illegal signatures?

devin45k
09-04-2012, 05:54 PM

I will have to agree with this one.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 05:55 PM
lets play a drinking game...everytime bohl says these guys deserve their day in court...drink. I am and I did.

NDSU '96
09-04-2012, 05:55 PM
How do we ensure the "day in court" isn't during the conference season or the playoffs?

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
lets play a drinking game...everytime bohl says these guys deserve their day in court...drink.

Too late.....I started drinking at whatever time this thread was started.

Bison-Knuckle
09-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Tuff Stuff....you save the tax payers money and you make a plea deal instead.

Tatanka
09-04-2012, 05:57 PM
And now, the windshield doctor is on the line!

Bison Dan
Yes........just like they did not look as closely at the UND Fighting Sioux name petition. First they looked more closely at this petition because it involves medical marijuana, then when they saw NDSU football players names they looked even closer. I would bet my annual salary that similar stuff (goofy names, etc)were on the UND petition.
I might add if the NDSU players themselves did the actual false name entries themselves they deserve whatever punishment they get, but they should not be responsible for screening every name on the petition they collect.I have to agree with you on that. Nice for the AG to pick and choose.

The_Sicatoka
What I've learned today:

Jemison had (according to folks here) other issues and it took an A misdemeanor to be gone.
Bohl's known about this investigation for a while.
Bohl's going to let the legal process follows its path for these eight (or is it ten) A misdemeanors.
And finally, it's all Danny Kristo's fault.

Got it.

KilldeerBison
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM

And, how do you prove who signed those "illegal" names?

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 05:59 PM
I have to agree with you on that. Nice for the AG to pick and choose.

I thought the conspiracy was to KEEP the Sioux moniker.

Both the AG and SecState are UND grads and supported the moniker.
In that case they would've scrubbed the petitions for any reason to remove them and keep the issue off the ballot.

Yet, the petitions were found to be good and the measure went to ballot and the name is gone.

Seems the conspiracy failed.

Bison Dan
09-04-2012, 06:00 PM
What I've learned today:

Jemison had (according to folks here) other issues and it took an A misdemeanor to be gone.
Bohl's going to let the legal process follows its path for these eight (or is it ten) A misdemeanors.

Got it.Love you're jealously of the Bison FB team. I guess they need the name of the und players lawyer that got all their drug charges dismissed!

westnodak93bison
Are they accused of making up names or signing themselves?

KilldeerBison
What I've learned today:

Got it.

A least you finally got it, took you a while.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 06:01 PM
For the bigger charges the state is going to have to prove that these guys were the ones who entered the bogus names.........good luck with that. Someone visiting their apartment during a party might have picked up the petition(s) and started entering fake names. Even some names might have signed and not caught just like the Fargo Forum missing Haywood Jablome. Just saying........what do you think CAS?

KSBisonFan
Nothing more to see here. Crisis averted for now. Still disappointed in the whole situation though.

Bison bison
I'm so happy that Bohl made the choice he did.

I had completely forgotten about the section of the North Dakota Century Code that states

"A scholarship-athlete at a institution of higher education that is supported with general funds will not have their day in court if they are suspended for the same offense."

MNLonghorn10
What I've learned today:

Got it.

actually ben bloods.

runtheoption

I am lawyer, sold a used car online, and bought/sold house FSBO online...you must really hate me!

Honest question here, does anyone remember for sure if there were signatures thrown out for any of the Sioux name stuff? If there were, I sure don't remember anyone getting prosecuted for anything.

tjbison
09-04-2012, 06:02 PM
What I've learned today:

Got it.

And what you don't know are the FACTS behind the case, let's wait and we if they are convicted or se if they really are guilty

JMB
I think we are being too hard on the guys. You know damn near everyone on this board did the same thing when they were in school. Hypocrites!

Bison bison
For the bigger charges the state is going to have to prove that these guys were the ones who entered the bogus names.........good luck with that. Someone visiting their apartment during a party might have picked up the petition(s) and started entering fake names. Even some names might have signed andno caught just like the Fargo Forum missing Haywood Jablome. Just saying........what do you think CAS?

No, they don't. The players sign an affidavit as part of the submission.

tony
Suppose you have a petition with 1000 signatures and they find a bad one, do they throw out the whole petition?

Sicatoka - UND is the only school I know of that has given a scholarship to a convicted felon so maybe should hop on a shorter horse.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Are they accused of making up names or signing themselves?

Making up names, taking names from the phone book.

ISXBISON
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
For the bigger charges the state is going to have to prove that these guys were the ones who entered the bogus names.........good luck with that. Someone visiting their apartment during a party might have picked up the petition(s) and started entering fake names. Even some names might have signed and not caught just like the Fargo Forum missing Haywood Jablome. Just saying........what do you think CAS?

They still had to sign each petition stating they witnessed the signatures.

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 06:04 PM
And, how do you prove who signed those "illegal" names?

When you turn in petitions you sign an oath statement that all the signatures are real, that they were done in front of you, and the petition was in your possession the whole time it was out for circulation. It's the responsibility you take on when you circulate petitions.

If they find one "Chicago signature*" you're toast.

*dead person who 'signed', unlike "Chicago ballot" which is a dead person who voted.

bisonfan11
09-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Yes........just like they did not look as closely at the UND Fighting Sioux name petition. First they looked more closely at this petition because it involves medical marijuana, then when they saw NDSU football players names they looked even closer. I would bet my annual salary that similar stuff (goofy names, etc)were on the UND petition.
I might add if the NDSU players themselves did the actual false name entries themselves they deserve whatever punishment they get, but they should not be responsible for screening every name on the petition they collect.SD, I agree completely. We all know what a hot topic the UND nickname was, especially for those tied to the University. This what a hot bed topic and the likely hood of some UND student athletes committing voter fraud is the same as the likely hood of these mentioned players committing voter fraud. Funny, but the ease of that petition making it to Bismarck and there being no real look into the petition tells me all that happened is that they saw there was enough signatures and then they put it on the ballot, they didn't do any investigation to see if there was any fraud. If they would have this process would have dragged on longer.

PlainsBison
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
A couple of things.

I was trying to understand the comment from Bohl that was separating, what was it, violence and drugs, from what the players are currently accused of. Is there a ranking of what won't be tolerated, and what could be?

The other thing --- you better believe that the NDSU President to Coach Bohl and others are very embarassed about this. Reputation and intregity matter.

I hope that whatever happens, that everyone learns from this and moves on.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:06 PM
When you turn in petitions you sign an oath statement that all the signatures are real, that they were done in front of you, and the petition was in your possession the whole time it was out for circulation. It's the responsibility you take on when you circulate petitions.

If they find one "Chicago signature*" you're toast.

*dead person who 'signed', unlike "Chicago ballot" which is a dead person who voted.

Dude. It's a completely honest mistake.

I don't know how many times I've tripped, fallen, and simultaneously signed a legal contract.

Bison Dan
09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
This will either get dismissed or pleaded down to almost nothing. I'm sure they have checked with lawyers and found this is hard to prove.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 06:07 PM
What I've learned today:

Got it.

And I learned you like to hang around Bisonville because you get to associate yourself with a winning football program. I understand, it's kinda hard to beat your chest over the 66-0 beating of the SD School for the Blind and Deaf.

And you should know that these charges have to be false. Why? Well most of them are on NDSU's defense. Everyone knows that even in the court of law, we have the best defense. Even UND lawyers can't score a victory against this defense. That's how good they are. If these charges where passes being thrown by Stenehjem, Marcus would have swatted them down.

PlainsBison
09-04-2012, 06:08 PM
Keep in mind that people getting signatures for the UND petition weren't paid. It sounds like in this case, the NDSU players were. That brings a whole extra element in the thing.

thundarsdaddy
09-04-2012, 06:10 PM
As long as ALL those folks who committed this same type of FRAUD(making up names..taking names from phonebooks...etc), are accused equally, then its legit. If we find out that ANYONE was singled out, whether they are Bison football players or Strippers from the Oil Patch, then we got ourselves a problem!!!

SDbison
09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Again, the fighting poo AG for ND decides to prosecute in this case what goes on in every petition drive. Also, there were no false votes since this is a petition drive not an election.
In South Dakota during a recent petition drive regarding the statewide smoking ban nearly 50% of the signatures were thrown out and nobody was prosecuted.
Just curious why the AG is so aggressive this time? Petitions are always full of bogus, non elligible and repeat names. Could it be the sensitivity of medical marijuana and the fact NDSU was somehow involved?

EightyfourBison
09-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I"m sure there is a section in the Student Athlete Conduct Handbook covering matters regarding petitions.

HerdBot
09-04-2012, 06:13 PM
Jemison whipped his cock out in public and admitted it and it wasnt his first strike. These guys are accused of a non violent, non sexual, and non drug, or non theft/ property crime. And from the sound of it, its going to be very hard to prove. Even if they are guilty its not worthy of more than a 1 game suspension.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM

I like your thinking.

southcliffbison
09-04-2012, 06:14 PM
What I've learned today:

Got it.

Apparently, you can't seem to grasp the difference between a man exposing his meat (at half or full mast) in a public mall in full view of passers-by and young children AND a question of WHO signed What WHEN and Where they're from. Sic, you've been exposed ! (no pun intended)

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 06:15 PM
And I learned you like to hang around Bisonville because you get to associate yourself with a winning football program.

The real reason is that schadenfreude is one of my favorite words, and feelings.

Even if there is no fire, this is more smoke and people are going to ask where it's coming from.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
A lot of you need to read the press release from the Attorney General.

This isn't lax or lazy petitioning - it's fraud.

NorthernBison
09-04-2012, 06:16 PM
This is not likely to be as simple as some think. They could work out a plea, maybe get a short suspension, and not have lasting mark on their record.

What comes later? This was not the marijuana petition. How much money do you think DU spent on this failed effort? Somebody will be going in front of their superiors to explain what happened. These guys took money to do a job and, apparently, committed fraud that doomed the project. A guilty plea removes the "apparently". Would you let that go? I know some who would not let it end there.

bisonmike2
09-04-2012, 06:17 PM
The real reason is that schadenfreude is one of my favorite words, and feelings.

Even if there is no fire, this is more smoke and people are going to ask where it's coming from.

Well it won't be from marijuana because now the people of North Dakota won't get a chance to vote on it.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 06:18 PM
I am lawyer, sold a used car online, and bought/sold house FSBO online...you must really hate me!

Honest question here, does anyone remember for sure if there were signatures thrown out for any of the Sioux name stuff? If there were, I sure don't remember anyone getting prosecuted for anything.
Don't feel bad RTO........my point is everyone in the same profession tends to stick up for each other. And your point about the Sioux petition not having thrown out signatures.......my point too. All petition drives have a certain percentage of invalid signatures.

Bison bison
Got my son's Halloween costume figured out.

Have him wear his #1 jersey and hand him a clipboard.

CAS4127

I think the players likely knew what was up, and just took the risk, but likely didn;t understand that criminality of their actions. Otherwise, here are some of my other thoughts. First, there really are no "bigger charges", they are all A misdemeanors. Second, and like I said earlier and Bohl admitted to, he has known about this investigation for quite some time, and, at least I believe, knows more than he let on in the presser. Third, despite being A misdemeanors, the underlying allegations/evidence to support/prosecute the charge is just not even close to what Jemison did (and most only know the evidence from the charge itself, not the Paul Harvey "rest of the story"), and, as Bohl said, while the level of offense is the same, the underlying evidence to prove the charges is much, much different. Fourth, I would think that these guys may end up pleading guilty, but to lessor offenses or simply cop a plea on the actual charges and be punished very mildly by the judge, with Bohl following suit. Given that Bohl actively assisted in arranging for law enforcement interviews of the players (unlike what any coach or admin would do at UND), and given that he knows more than what he let on, we are looking at a one game suspension maximum, and, if handled properly by the defense attorneys, they could arrange for the plea and sentencing to be early in the week of a easy-schedule game, and the suspension could be handed down then, if at all.

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Jemison whipped his cock out in public and admitted it and it wasnt his first strike. These guys are accused of a non violent, non sexual, and non drug, or non theft/ property crime. And from the sound of it, its going to be very hard to prove. Even if they are guilty its not worthy of more than a 1 game suspension.

Yeah, it's just fraud, and filing a false document, and filing a false statement.
It's not like it's an A misdemeanor like what Jemison did.
Oh, ... wait ...

EricB
09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Not a chance in Fargo would they do this out of spite.

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:21 PM
Dude, all they did was try to defraud the ND petition/election system.

We all know democracy is a joke.

These guys did us a favor.

heckler
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Dude, all they did was try to defraud the ND petition/election system.

We all know democracy is a joke.

These guys did us a favor.

What's that link again ndb2? We didn't get it the first twelve times. Thanks.

LikeMothers
09-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Good that Bohl has known about it for a few weeks...it means that they have a plan in action for dealing with the charges, likely as stated before, suspended at some point (likely for the PVAM game)

Surprised it didn't leak ahead of time...no word on this until charges were filed.

Perhaps this shows that North Dakota is not Chicago or DC and the people in the AG office are professionals?

GOB1SON
09-04-2012, 06:26 PM
It's actually quite easy to prove:

The petition will probably be some variant of this:

Name: Donald Duck
Address: Mickey's Mouse's Playhouse

I affirm that I am a legal ... North Dakota ... age ...
Signature __ http://pinpics.com/img/p605/pin30278

Petitioner affirms that the signatory has offered proof of residency ... legally able to sign petition ... or something like this:
Signature _http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Signature_of_Bill_Clinton.svg/250px-Signature_of_Bill_Clinton.svg.png

Now if Donald has not offered proof of residency, etc... or Donald is actually a fictional cartoon character that Gabe plays with in the tub each and every night and not an actual person, then Bill Clinton has now committed some sort of fraud.

And I am not even a lawyer.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 06:28 PM
Dude, all they did was try to defraud the ND petition/election system. TRUE IF PROVEN

We all know democracy is a joke. SOMETIMES TRUE......LOOK WHO IS PRESIDENT

These guys did us a favor. NOT REALLY
My comments in all caps above

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:28 PM
What's that link again ndb2? We didn't get it the first twelve times. Thanks.

Just trying to help the ignorant cats on here who are posting straw man after straw man.

Bison Dan
09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
To all you self righteous a**holes. Yes it is wrong but how many of you knew of the consequences of this when you were 20 years old. Most college kids would think of it as just a bunch of names on a piece of paper. Again they should have known better but hardly the terrible deed that many of you are making it out to be. Again I have to wonder how the AG picks and chooses which to prosecute? 1 bad name should be as bad as a 1000 under the law.

BisonAccountant44
09-04-2012, 06:29 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-bEzOG_j274o/T-T4ok544lI/AAAAAAAADXs/2fGq9XIxPY0/s1600/img-nothing-to-see-here-174.jpg

CAS4127
09-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Yeah, it's just fraud, and filing a false document, and filing a false statement.
Oh, ... wait ...

Hey, Sic (or is it Dic): You ever float a check?! Ya, well, you signed a legal document when you knew it's content to be false. Before NSF check statutes, that was fraud, and really still is if you think about it--just that legislation carved out an exception. Also, if the check you "floated" was for enough money, it would have been an A misdemeanor--just sayin'!! How's Krisco's foot, and has the completely open and honest investigation run its course yet. Did Hack make him readily available to investigators yet?!

Bison bison
09-04-2012, 06:32 PM
To all you self righteous a**holes. Yes it is wrong but how many of you knew of the consequences of this when you were 20 years old. Most college kids would think of it as just a bunch of names on a piece of paper. Again they should have known better but hardly the terrible deed that many of you are making it out to be. Again I have to wonder how the AG picks and chooses which to prosecute? 1 bad name should be as bad as a 1000 under the law.

Oh, bullshit.

read the last page of below:

https://vip.sos.nd.gov/pdfs/Portals/petition-prop-tax.pdf

signing that after going through the phonebook or your cellphone contact list or making up names is obviously a big deal.

HerdBot
Oh, ... wait ...

Your really caught up in class a or class b. Punishment on a team isn't based on the level of the crime. It's the nature of a crime. In some states a DUI is a A misdemeanor. In some states possession of marijuana is a petty ticket. In other states in a felony. Just stop already. I know you want to see the whole team suspended for jay walking.

Bison Dan

Petitioner affirms that the signatory has offered proof of residency ... legally able to sign petition ... or something like this:
Signature _http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/27/Signature_of_Bill_Clinton.svg/250px-Signature_of_Bill_Clinton.svg.png

Now if Donald has not offered proof of residency, etc... or Donald is actually a fictional cartoon character that Gabe plays with in the tub each and every night and not an actual person, then Bill Clinton has now committed some sort of fraud.

And I am not even a lawyer.If it's that simple who in their right mind would hand out petitions and sign that you know the names are legal?

BlueBisonRock
I might add if the NDSU players themselves did the actual false name entries themselves they deserve whatever punishment they get, but they should not be responsible for screening every name on the petition they collect.

At this point in time, I would also be willing to bet the amount of your annual salary. :)

56BISON73
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
Key words in bold above........going to need some evidence this is true. In fact, before charges are made there better be more than just an allegation that there were bogus signatures. Again EVERY petition drive has a good percentage of the signatures thrown out. How should a person getting a minimum wage be required to be responsible for authenticity of the signatures? It's up to the state to verify enough valid signatures before putting an issue on the ballot. Going to have to prove all these guys were placing known bad signatures on the petition.

Reasonable but the point is the players are accused of signing false signatures. This has nothing to do with authentication of signatures. But has everything to do with their participation in the fraudulent signing themselves. At least thats what I took out of it.

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 06:33 PM
I've signed a petition in this State. (No, not the UND moniker ones.)

I've gotten a card from the ND SecState's office asking me to confirm my signature. There's a process to review signatures. That's what the SecState does.

When you turn in petitions you sign this affirmation:

State of North Dakota )
) ss.
County of _________________ )
(county where signed)
I, ____________________, being sworn, say that I am a qualified elector; that I reside at
__________________;
(circulator) (address)
that each signature contained on the attached petition was executed in my presence; and that to the best of my
knowledge and belief each individual whose signature appears on the attached petition is a qualified elector;
and that each signature contained on the attached petition is the genuine signature of the individual whose
name it purports to be.
(Notary Seal) _______________________________________
(signature of notary)
Notary Public
My commission expires_______________________

Bison Dan
09-04-2012, 06:35 PM
Oh, bullshit.

read the last page of below:

https://vip.sos.nd.gov/pdfs/Portals/petition-prop-tax.pdf

signing that after going through the phonebook or your cellphone contact list or making up names is obviously a big deal.Like I say a self righteous person. God I love them.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 06:35 PM

And I am not even a lawyer.

Rick from Pawn Stars: "Uuuuuuummmmm, I've got a buddy who can authenticate each and every signature. Let me call him down here and we'll see if the signature really is bogus"......Then Rick's buddy walks in the store with a giant brief case that seems extremely large for the magnifying glass he carries in it and says, "Yup, Rick. This Donald Duck signature is bogus. Everybody knows Donald Duck signs his middle initial "D". Donald's middle name is "Daffy".....his rogue uncle."
Rick says, "Sorry man but I can't offer you anything for that autograph".
The customer says, "Damn! I thought that signature was worth a pound of medicinal marijuana!"
The end.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 06:36 PM
This is not likely to be as simple as some think. They could work out a plea, maybe get a short suspension, and not have lasting mark on their record.

What comes later? This was not the marijuana petition. How much money do you think DU spent on this failed effort? Somebody will be going in front of their superiors to explain what happened. These guys took money to do a job and, apparently, committed fraud that doomed the project. A guilty plea removes the "apparently". Would you let that go? I know some who would not let it end there.

I have been waiting for someone to bring up this angle here as we have been saying the same thing. Whoever footed the bill is not going to be happy and probably looking for retribution for the money spent on the effort.

HerdBot
09-04-2012, 06:37 PM
I've signed a petition in this State. (No, not the UND moniker ones.)

I've gotten a card from the ND SecState's office asking me to confirm my signature. There's a process to review signatures. That's what the SecState does.

When you turn in petitions you sign this affirmation:

"that each signature contained on the attached petition was executed in my presence; and that to the best of my
knowledge and belief each individual whose signature appears on the attached petition is a qualified elector"

The best of my knowledge is kind of subjective, don't ya think?

The_Sicatoka
09-04-2012, 06:38 PM
Hey, Sic (or is it Dic): You ever float a check?! Ya, well, you signed a legal document when you knew it's content to be false. Before NSF check statutes, that was fraud, and really still is if you think about it--just that legislation carved out an exception. Also, if the check you "floated" was for enough money, it would have been an A misdemeanor--just sayin'!! How's Krisco's foot, and has the completely open and honest investigation run its course yet. Did Hack make him readily available to investigators yet?!

I've never floated a check. Never had to. It's a combination of income and frugality.

It's tough to provide a guy to investigators when there was no investigation.