PDA

View Full Version : Post-RMU thoughts and pontifications

DjKyRo
09-02-2012, 04:32 AM
First off, wow. Dat pregame. Banner-raising was incredible and was probably my top football moment of a five-year career at NDSU so far. Crowd reaction was incredible and I thought the athletic department put together a top-rate presentation. Just cool as heck.

Game stuff, I think the defense is right on track to be at or above the 2012 level. Granted it's just an NEC team, but to not only shut out but hold to under 100 total yards a D-I team (when last year's defense allowed scores to St. Francis and Lafayette) is impressive. Dudzik is a ball hawk at safety and is a great complement to Heagle's head-busting tackling. I love that we have a guy like Andre Martin coming off the bench who can lay the lumber but also has a good head on him and knows the Valley well. Grant Olson is everything we want in a middle linebacker and does exactly what Preston Evans did for this defense in being a vocal leader who provides an example for others to follow. Surprised we didn't hear more of Cole Jirik tonight but the rest of the defense more than made up for it, and I continue to think that this defense is built around Ryan Drevlow's ability to control the middle. We're a different with him versus out.

Offensively, I think Zach Vraa and John Crockett are going to be absolutel superstars. Vraa is just a masterpiece of a receiver and reminds me of a white Larry Fitzgerald the way he can control his body and reach outside of himself for passes. I think Brock didn't do him any favors on that 47-yarder (hit him in stride and he's off for a score, instead had to leap and reach) but he adds such a fold to our passing game that we haven't had for a few years - that jump ball receiver who can go up and over faster corners. So glad to see him make an impact tonight and I'm positively tickled to think of what he's going to bring for the next few years.

Great to see Ryan Smith get his first receiving TD, dude is so much fun to watch and must have been frustrated last year. Same goes for Trevor Gebhart, and even Andrew Okland got into the party. The fact that Brock was able to spread the ball around so well (including hitting Taylor Nelson on that first score) goes to show that he's ready to take that next step in his growth as a quarterback. He knows this playbook inside and out and has the accuracy and arm to complement it. Not saying our offense is going to drop 400 yards on everybody this season but we've got all the tools to keep up that steady, pounding attack that helped us win a title last year. Love where the offense is poised to go.

Kicking game is a question mark, punting is a push. LeCompte has a big leg but played that one punt a little too soft to effectively bury it after the team took a penalty to give him some breathing room.

Had a blast at the game and dug tailgating as usual. Can't wait to house Colorado State next week.

CaBisonFan
09-02-2012, 04:43 AM
I watched Indiana State and Northern Iowa today. Both are very solid teams that will challenge us. And with Youngstown State winning at Pitt I'm impressed.

Our opponent looked as outmatched as I can recall seeing in a while in Fargo. For them to score would have been the equivalent of winning the lottery. The athleticism on defense is off the chart. I'd imagine that the CSU staff will be wondering if we really aren't an FBS program.

I agree with what you wrote about Vraa. He's special. The depth of the receiving corps is impressive, to say the least.

Could write a lot about this. Athletes all over the place. More than I saw in the UNI & ISU lineups.

Next week we will roll if we bring our A game. Our running backs would fit nicely into many, many FBS lineups.

I still fear the game at UNI the most. It's as close to being a must-win as I see on the schedule.

DjKyRo
09-02-2012, 04:46 AM
I hesitate to say our WR corps is deep. Better to say "high-potential" in my humble opinion. Depth implies experience, which we have in two guys (Smith and Wahlo) along with proven talent (which we have in a few more guys). I think we need to see more before we give the position the nod of definite of approval but from what I saw tonight, at least, we're definitely in a good spot with the position after it seeming like a huge question mark all season. The fact that Brock Jensen has a surgical laser for an arm certainly doesn't hurt, either.

One more name drop, and that's Kyle Emanuel. Noticed they dropped him in at right DE a few times and he is an absolute animal on the d-line. Saw him get in on a few plays and I think he's shaping up to be a real gem after moving to linebacker.

SamsRams
09-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I thought keller looked good. First attempt ever from 44 and he had the leg just wide. Wut didn't u like?

CaBisonFan
09-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I agree about what you call the potential of the receiving corps; however, they're different than having a bunch of freshmen and transfers new to the program. It seemed that Vraa has learned a lot. Wahlo fits into that category...and Gebhart could probably be put there too.

And...with Brock guiding them, they have a definite advantage. Without him, it would be a very different picture.

The concerns of the receiving corps has been put to rest.

DjKyRo
09-02-2012, 05:04 AM
I thought keller looked good. First attempt ever from 44 and he had the leg just wide. Wut didn't u like?

Missing it. :o

BisonNation11
09-02-2012, 05:10 AM
It looked like he was trying too hard/aiming the kick/something other than just putting some leg into it. It had distance, just seemed to lack some oomph behind it. Seemed like he was trying to be too careful not to miss it that he ended up missing it. At least he could kick off to the exact same spot every time on kickoffs!!!

BadlandsBison
09-02-2012, 05:16 AM
Super Bowl, homeboy

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Twentysix
09-02-2012, 05:25 AM
The old people sucked at making noise. It seemed like we are back to 90% of the noise coming from the student section.

Perhaps the visitor side of the dome non-Student section was alive, the home side of the dome was lazy.

1998braves64
09-02-2012, 05:33 AM
I could give a pass on the kicking and field goal (it was 44 yards and first one of the season, but college if you get it off and with the length he had on it SHOULD make those, and he nailed the 30 whatever yard field goal) a week or two to see if they pan out, at least made all his PAT unlike in years past it seemed we'd miss those (even last year?). Punting seem decent, dropped one snap but was able to get it off on a line drive that ended up getting a good roll on it.

Brock put almost all his passes where his receivers COULD catch them, had a couple that were dropped that were tough but catchable again being up above sometimes hard to tell if he was trying to throw over/around someone, but it wasn't like last year or year before where he would hurl the first couple into the stands. Wentz took that part of his game. Good to see Vraa playing. All the receivers seem to get a shot at a catch or two.

Defense was stud as always and definitely on track to match last year so far. Can't imagine too many teams are going to be comfortable passing with Duznik and Williams roaming around back there.

O line (biggest question mark of all arguably?) looked solid gave Brock plenty of time to set up and check off his receivers, not sure if RMU D line was that great though.

Running backs definitely Ojuri and Crockett are the real deal would say we're good there.

CSU I think will be a tougher game than we imagined but with their weak Offense we should have a decent shot at winning.

SamsRams
09-02-2012, 05:43 AM
I was impressed with the Rams. really weird to see somebody #59 at RT but Haeg looked good. Really surprised to see Zach Johnson the first off the bench. looks like it will be a season long battle between Colville and Johnson for LG

SlickVic
09-02-2012, 05:45 AM
not impressed all u fools going to fort collins give me an up date i got the rams by 2 touchdowns

SportsLover
09-02-2012, 06:08 AM
The only bad thing i could pick from Brock are his deep throws. He had a few that were a little off. Vraa had to make an acrobatic catch on one and another wasnt close. At this point of his career those are throws that need to be on the money

56BISON73
09-02-2012, 06:13 AM
The only bad thing i could pick from Brock are his deep throws. He had a few that were a little off. Vraa had to make an acrobatic catch on one and the wasnt close. At this point of his career those are throws that need to be on the money

Its seemed That some of his long throws were under thrown as the receivers had to stop or almost come back for it.

ndsubison1
09-02-2012, 06:17 AM
not gonna lie i dont really have anything bad to say after this game. we were dominant. granted it was against a terrible opponent it reminded a lot of last years st francis game. just dominant. rmu only had 5 first downs. we didnt give up any big plays. maybe 1. we had a lot of guys step up. the tight end spot stepped up today with vaadland and nelson. vraa is a dude. gebhart got a td. feel good for him. and okland had a nice catch. hopefully we get some consistency here. man i love crockett. he doesnt quit and just works hard. i dont think we had any significant injuries at least from what i saw. ojuris fumble in the red zone, 5/12 on 3rd down, and special teams were the only concerns i took from this game.

i see csu beat colorado. wasnt expecting that but both teams were terrible last season. i am expecting to beat them. all i know is they have a good coach and a good field goal kicker. i think our defense is the difference. we may have some lapses offensively but i think we win something like 26-16

CaBisonFan
09-02-2012, 06:25 AM
The old people sucked at making noise. It seemed like we are back to 90% of the noise coming from the student section.

Perhaps the visitor side of the dome non-Student section was alive, the home side of the dome was lazy.

I think that this game isn't a fair measure of how the crowds will be acting. Frankly, it's probably gonna take playoffs to get the crowd back to what we had last December.

Twentysix
09-02-2012, 06:47 AM
I think that this game isn't a fair measure of how the crowds will be acting. Frankly, it's probably gonna take playoffs to get the crowd back to what we had last December.

I agree, but they were inexplicably lazy. They didn't stand for a SINGLE 3rd down. Most of the crowd didn't even move (ala clapping to make noise, w/e) on 3rd downs.

SlickVic
09-02-2012, 06:53 AM
I agree, but they were inexplicably lazy. They didn't stand for a SINGLE 3rd down. Most of the crowd didn't even move (ala clapping to make noise, w/e) on 3rd downs.

what was it 52 to nothing dude id rather whatch the fargo moorhead symphony

Twentysix
09-02-2012, 07:45 AM
what was it 52 to nothing dude id rather whatch the fargo moorhead symphony

Even when it was 7-0 or 0-0 w/e.

SomeBeach
09-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Very impressive second half. Good to see this team can shake off slow starts, and that Coach Bohl can get their attention.

Christian Dudzik was studly in the secondary.

Some GREAT hits on D that made me actually feel bad for the hittee.

John Crockett is impressive. He and Sam Bam are going to be a great one-two punch. (WHY is Cockett playing Specail Teams ?!P)

Finally. MARCUS WILLIAMS. RMU was so afraid of him that they didn't even bother going to his side. He may not have the tackles or big plays, but his well-earned reputation effectively forced RMU into playing on half a field... both horizontally and vertically!

WAY TO GO BISON!

JMB
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Interesting bit of Trivia from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

The Colonials (0-1) were outgained, 497-98, in total yards. Additionally, the 52 points surrendered were the most in Robert Morris history and the loss marked the first time in program history that the Colonials have been shut out.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/college-district/defending-champ-rips-rmu-651602/#ixzz25JW4nLdK

Correction: According to the RMU website they have been shutout four times.

bisonmike2
09-02-2012, 12:14 PM
I listened on my phone as we were driving back from Montana. Crowd sounded great over the radio. Defense picked up were it left off last year. Even if our offense doesn't click for a game the D will still give us an excellent chance at winning every game. Steve Walker was solid filling in for Phil. Where Phil would provide insight into the o and d lines, Steve was great at talking about the QB reads and WR routes.

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2012, 01:13 PM
not impressed all u fools going to fort collins give me an up date i got the rams by 2 touchdowns

Looks like another intelligent post......

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2012, 01:15 PM
First off, wow. Dat pregame. Banner-raising was incredible and was probably my top football moment of a five-year career at NDSU so far. Crowd reaction was incredible and I thought the athletic department put together a top-rate presentation. Just cool as heck.

Game stuff, I think the defense is right on track to be at or above the 2012 level. Granted it's just an NEC team, but to not only shut out but hold to under 100 total yards a D-I team (when last year's defense allowed scores to St. Francis and Lafayette) is impressive. Dudzik is a ball hawk at safety and is a great complement to Heagle's head-busting tackling. I love that we have a guy like Andre Martin coming off the bench who can lay the lumber but also has a good head on him and knows the Valley well. Grant Olson is everything we want in a middle linebacker and does exactly what Preston Evans did for this defense in being a vocal leader who provides an example for others to follow. Surprised we didn't hear more of Cole Jirik tonight but the rest of the defense more than made up for it, and I continue to think that this defense is built around Ryan Drevlow's ability to control the middle. We're a different with him versus out.

Offensively, I think Zach Vraa and John Crockett are going to be absolutel superstars. Vraa is just a masterpiece of a receiver and reminds me of a white Larry Fitzgerald the way he can control his body and reach outside of himself for passes. I think Brock didn't do him any favors on that 47-yarder (hit him in stride and he's off for a score, instead had to leap and reach) but he adds such a fold to our passing game that we haven't had for a few years - that jump ball receiver who can go up and over faster corners. So glad to see him make an impact tonight and I'm positively tickled to think of what he's going to bring for the next few years.

Great to see Ryan Smith get his first receiving TD, dude is so much fun to watch and must have been frustrated last year. Same goes for Trevor Gebhart, and even Andrew Okland got into the party. The fact that Brock was able to spread the ball around so well (including hitting Taylor Nelson on that first score) goes to show that he's ready to take that next step in his growth as a quarterback. He knows this playbook inside and out and has the accuracy and arm to complement it. Not saying our offense is going to drop 400 yards on everybody this season but we've got all the tools to keep up that steady, pounding attack that helped us win a title last year. Love where the offense is poised to go.

Kicking game is a question mark, punting is a push. LeCompte has a big leg but played that one punt a little too soft to effectively bury it after the team took a penalty to give him some breathing room.

Had a blast at the game and dug tailgating as usual. Can't wait to house Colorado State next week.

Good analysis.

Colorado State's defense will give us some trouble but their offense is horrible. It will probably be a close game but the Bison should win.

heffray
09-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Very impressive second half. Good to see this team can shake off slow starts, and that Coach Bohl can get their attention.

Christian Dudzik was studly in the secondary.

Some GREAT hits on D that made me actually feel bad for the hittee.

John Crockett is impressive. He and Sam Bam are going to be a great one-two punch. (WHY is Cockett playing Specail Teams ?!P)

Finally. MARCUS WILLIAMS. RMU was so afraid of him that they didn't even bother going to his side. He may not have the tackles or big plays, but his well-earned reputation effectively forced RMU into playing on half a field... both horizontally and vertically!

WAY TO GO BISON!

Good post, 2 things:

First, yes, please SOMEONE explain to me why John Crocket was on kick coverage... and this was after the amazing run he had.

Second: I love Marcus as much as the next guy, but I definately saw a few throws go his way, and I noticed a lot of his coverage seemed a little soft. I don't know that a lot of offenses view him the same way we do, and I hope he shows them.

heffray
09-02-2012, 02:02 PM

Defense was stud as always and definitely on track to match last year so far. Can't imagine too many teams are going to be comfortable passing with Duznik and Williams roaming...

Aaaand... Cue BisonNeil:

NorthernBison
09-02-2012, 02:19 PM
The people running the video boards need to get their act together. Every time we were instructed to watch for the clip of the half or hit of the game, etc the delay was significant

A1pigskin
09-02-2012, 02:58 PM
With Dudzik and Williams I would be afraid to throw. They are fast.

SDbison
09-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Good post, 2 things:

First, yes, please SOMEONE explain to me why John Crocket was on kick coverage... and this was after the amazing run he had.

Second: I love Marcus as much as the next guy, but I definately saw a few throws go his way, and I noticed a lot of his coverage seemed a little soft. I don't know that a lot of offenses view him the same way we do, and I hope he shows them. I used to be concerned about the soft coverage of Marcus, but after watching more closely I found that he can close quickly and make a play. I believe Marcus will often play off a receiver to bait a QB into thinking he can get attempt a pass and then step in, knock it down or make an interception.

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 03:05 PM
One more name drop, and that's Kyle Emanuel. Noticed they dropped him in at right DE a few times and he is an absolute animal on the d-line. Saw him get in on a few plays and I think he's shaping up to be a real gem after moving to linebacker.

I'm pretty sure Emanuel still is at DE. Depending on the defensive set, they sometimes drop a DE into coverage, but I am pretty sure he is not a LB.

And for what it's worth, the roster still lists him as a DE.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204978886&Q_SEASON=2012

So, guys, did I miss something? Is DJ right, 53 is now a LB?

A1pigskin
09-02-2012, 03:15 PM
It was awesome to see the students lined up outside to get in. Very good student turnout.

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2012, 03:18 PM
It was awesome to see the students lined up outside to get in. Very good student turnout.

Ya, good turnout for game.

The east side of the FD needs to get into the game more. The west side and students are loud but the east side has too many "blue-hairs"....

bisontwice
09-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Emanuel is definitely still at DE and not LB. Depth is still a concern at LB. Very little subs there and Bobby O. was the first one off the bench. Starting LB's did well but hope we stay healthy or we could be in the deep stuff

IzzyFlexion
09-02-2012, 03:29 PM
The tailgater count estimated by NDSU = 7,000.

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 03:34 PM
The tailgater count estimated by NDSU = 7,000.

Tailgater estimate by The Forum=10,000

IzzyFlexion
09-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Tailgater estimate by The Forum=10,000

I'm pretty confident that my source is more credible than the foolem.

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 04:09 PM
I'm pretty confident that my source is more credible than the foolem.

No doubt :D

Tatanka
09-02-2012, 04:27 PM
I'm pretty confident that my source is more credible than the foolem.I'm pretty sure that I have made stool samples more credible than the Forum.

Tatanka
09-02-2012, 04:32 PM
Either way it was a great turnout on both accounts for a labor day weekend game. It wasn't too long ago there was major concern about the potential for low attendance on a holiday weekend because people have too many better things to do. I would wager to say Bison Football Gameday is kind of a big deal, and it's getting better all the time.

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 04:37 PM
I would wager to say Bison Football Gameday is kind of a big deal, and it's getting better all the time.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVbArObdQztWTe6OkiU36LAgExSArco-ozbsTJjPNuo-rhJUGskQ&t=1

KTF
09-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Great post by OP. I can't add much to what has already been discussed but it was a great game and environment. Looking forward to a great year!!

BadlandsBison
09-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Crocket won't be on kick coverage anymore, I think that was a "prove yourself" thing for the first game. And he just wanted to get on field! Injuries are going to be our greatest enemy this year.

Uni game is gonna be tense, good team once again. And I predict we smack youngstown. Not sure about csu

DjKyRo
09-02-2012, 06:28 PM
I'm pretty sure Emanuel still is at DE. Depending on the defensive set, they sometimes drop a DE into coverage, but I am pretty sure he is not a LB.

Doh, total brain fart. Had his position switch backwards for some reason. Good catch.

56BISON73
09-02-2012, 09:38 PM

And for what it's worth, the roster still lists him as a DE.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204978886&Q_SEASON=2012

So, guys, did I miss something? Is DJ right, 53 is now a LB?

I am trying to remeber if the DE was dropping back on the short or long side of the field? My first thought is it gives us another defender to counter a back from slipping out of the back field. Just a thought.

THEsocalledfan
09-02-2012, 10:39 PM
I used to be concerned about the soft coverage of Marcus, but after watching more closely I found that he can close quickly and make a play. I believe Marcus will often play off a receiver to bait a QB into thinking he can get attempt a pass and then step in, knock it down or make an interception.

This is 100% true. I watched many of the replays last year, and he loves to bait QB's. He is just that athletic that he can close so fast when needed. Now, a more athletic team may get some hooks and curls, however, very unlikely to be beat deep and you are playing with fire if late on an out pattern.

SDbison
09-03-2012, 12:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that I have made stool samples more credible than the Forum.
LOL..........and I will just take your word for it!

1998braves64
09-03-2012, 12:55 AM
This is 100% true. I watched many of the replays last year, and he loves to bait QB's. He is just that athletic that he can close so fast when needed. Now, a more athletic team may get some hooks and curls, however, very unlikely to be beat deep and you are playing with fire if late on an out pattern.

Agree with this too, as long as he has the speed and quickness to prevent a pass, I'll let him do what he wants, considering they only got 88 total yards and 60 some (on 10 catches) of that was passing... I don't have too many concerns about pass defense yet. I'm just curious are Colonials that bad of team (didn't seem like they would be but I'm not an east coast FCS expert or even amatuer!) In defense of getting shut out they had a lot of bad turnovers at costly times too.

Another thing I forgot to mention how about Easley Thorton making a couple big plays on special teams? Made a nice tackle and forced a fumble or at least was in the mix when the fumble happened. If he can get up to speed on defense I think he'll be a big player on D.

IzzyFlexion
09-03-2012, 02:48 AM
RMU had a net gain on the ground of 22 yards on 29 carries (0.8 ypc) and punted 10 times.

I'm too lazy to do the research, but each of these could be or could be close to all time NDSU records ??

Bisonguy
09-03-2012, 03:29 AM
RMU had a net gain on the ground of 22 yards on 29 carries (0.8 ypc) and punted 10 times.

I'm too lazy to do the research, but each of these could be or could be close to all time NDSU records ??

Maybe DI records, but I believe there were a couple games where the Bison defense held opponents to negative yards. Moorhead State may have been one of those games.

Edit- I just checked the media guide and NDSU allowed negative eighty-five yards against Morningside in 1974. Fewest rushing yards allowed for an entire season was 158 in 1965.

HerdBot
09-03-2012, 03:43 AM

I call it the first game syndrome. I think it takes the fans a few games to get warmed up. And the game was never in question so it sort of lacked drama. Once the tough games start the fans will pick it up. Sort of an emotional letdown after the banner ceremony.

BisonNation11
09-03-2012, 03:59 AM
I call it the first game syndrome. I think it takes the fans a few games to get warmed up. And the game was never in question so it sort of lacked drama. Once the tough games start the fans will pick it up. Sort of an emotional letdown after the banner ceremony.

I agree. I sit in the north endzone, and without some "over-zealous cheering" from myself and my friends, it would be a relatively quiet section. The few rows that sit behind me have graciously caught on to how we need to be as fans and have started joining in. I was told by one of them that, "we are way too quiet compared to last year during the playoffs." I had to explain that this game has no meaning to fans with no drama to be spoken of, so we will basically warm our voices up when the defense is in our half, and save it for meaningful games. I tend to not take a play off and cheer constantly, as well as heckle/grumble/predict/and sometimes annoy the people around me. I'm told I need to sit with the students, and I take that as a compliment. I would say that as a whole, the fans were louder this year compared to last year for the first game. They understand when to get loud, when to be quiet, and to deal with those of us that stand up for most of the game to cheer the team on. Can't wait for meaningful games!

HerdBot
09-03-2012, 05:07 AM
I agree. I sit in the north endzone, and without some "over-zealous cheering" from myself and my friends, it would be a relatively quiet section. The few rows that sit behind me have graciously caught on to how we need to be as fans and have started joining in. I was told by one of them that, "we are way too quiet compared to last year during the playoffs." I had to explain that this game has no meaning to fans with no drama to be spoken of, so we will basically warm our voices up when the defense is in our half, and save it for meaningful games. I tend to not take a play off and cheer constantly, as well as heckle/grumble/predict/and sometimes annoy the people around me. I'm told I need to sit with the students, and I take that as a compliment. I would say that as a whole, the fans were louder this year compared to last year for the first game. They understand when to get loud, when to be quiet, and to deal with those of us that stand up for most of the game to cheer the team on. Can't wait for meaningful games!

By the end of the 3rd quarter I even stopped standing. I was really kind of bored with the game and tired from the long day of tailgating in 90 degree heat. I mean when it's 40-0 and your playing all backups, I'm more interested in watching who is playing. I would imagine Prairie View will be the same. Nuts early and when the game gets out of hand, so will the drama.

I figure by the time Youngstown State rolls around the game will be a big deal! May be the biggest game of the year.

DjKyRo
09-03-2012, 05:12 AM
I think the crowd will get more into it when we're playing a game that actually means something.

KilldeerBison
09-03-2012, 05:41 AM
A thought; Schaetz is the real deal.:)

BisonNation11
09-03-2012, 06:10 AM
^^^^That's the truth!!!^^^^ The man is/will be a beast!!!

HerdBot
09-03-2012, 06:40 AM
Flashback....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu_tMg5Zwoc&feature=player_embedded#!

344Johnson
09-03-2012, 07:30 AM
Edit- I just checked the media guide and NDSU allowed negative eighty-five yards against Morningside in 1974. Fewest rushing yards allowed for an entire season was 158 in 1965.

Sham. Wow!

HandoEX
09-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Looks like Zach Johnson is the only true freshman to have played. He is freakin' HUGE!

Really happy to have come away with no significant injuries after this game. That's always the biggest concern in these.

Kermit
09-03-2012, 04:11 PM
Looks like Zach Johnson is the only true freshman to have played. He is freakin' HUGE!

Really impressed with this kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter at some point this season.

KilldeerBison
09-03-2012, 04:12 PM
Another thought; the Army/Natl. Gaurd people that do pushups, props to them, I think they did 228 total, the last set being 52.

Tatanka
09-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Another thought; the Army/Natl. Gaurd people that do pushups, props to them, I think they did 228 total, the last set being 52.

This. The cheer team was dropping like flies, but the guard guys were still going strong. And great conversation all game long with my kids! Great role models.

BadlandsBison
09-03-2012, 04:27 PM

Really happy to have come away with no significant injuries after this game. That's always the biggest concern in these.

Zach was awesome in his high-school tape. Huge guy who got after it like a bandit. I can't believe he didn't go Big10

HandoEX
09-03-2012, 04:39 PM
Zach was awesome in his high-school tape. Huge guy who got after it like a bandit. I can't believe he didn't go Big10

The backflip they showed him doing at the recruit signing day thing was unreal. His highlight tape is pancake city.

MNLonghorn10
09-03-2012, 06:00 PM
they hold the last push up, then sway back and forth for like 30 seconds.

i would last like 10 total push ups

IzzyFlexion
09-03-2012, 06:08 PM
they hold the last push up, then sway back and forth for like 30 seconds.

i would last like 10 total push ups

Slick did this on Friday night............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................and then he fell down.

BlueBisonRock
09-03-2012, 10:32 PM

Props - Yes! But they did struggle with the last 52. Of course, I would have struggled with the first 7.

UTH
09-04-2012, 03:42 AM
Teh Tatanka got some rock star video coverage on the KFYR news out of Bismarck tonight... still no proof of TAB or SD making meaningful contributions to the FFD gameday experience last Saturday...

ndsubison1
09-04-2012, 04:47 AM
Really impressed with this kid. I wouldn't be surprised if he is a starter at some point this season.

is johnson a G or T?

Kermit
09-04-2012, 05:12 AM
is johnson a G or T? He played LG on Saturday.

NDSUBowler
09-04-2012, 07:23 AM
Note I forgot to bring up...when NDSU was going for it on 4th and goal late, did anyone notice the RMU coach walk on to the field, look right at Bohl and hold his arms out wide like 'what the heck are you doing?!'...didn't even pay attention to the play. After play was over he waved off NDSU's sideline in disgust. I laughed the whole way through.

tony
09-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Stats for the game show that Trevor Gebhart not only got a TD reception but that he had a QB hurry. :)

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Note I forgot to bring up...when NDSU was going for it on 4th and goal late, did anyone notice the RMU coach walk on to the field, look right at Bohl and hold his arms out wide like 'what the heck are you doing?!'...didn't even pay attention to the play. After play was over he waved off NDSU's sideline in disgust. I laughed the whole way through.

Announcers made a point about this.....they basically said it's a no-win decision for Bohl: kick a fg and it's guaranteed points and looks like we are running up the score or go for the td and let them try to stop us and if they don't we are running up the score. They said an opposing coach should understand the situation and not have a problem with it.

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Announcers made a point about this.....they basically said it's a no-win decision for Bohl: kick a fg and it's guaranteed points and looks like we are running up the score or go for the td and let them try to stop us and if they don't we are running up the score. They said an opposing coach should understand the situation and not have a problem with it.

Further, it was all second and third teamers in the game at the time. It is really, really hard to tell those guys not to try when they don't always get a chance to play. I do admit, I remember a couple times in high school when our coach told our second team quarterback to "not get the first down." I always wondered if that is the right thing to do or not.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Further, it was all second and third teamers in the game at the time. It is really, really hard to tell those guys not to try when they don't always get a chance to play. I do admit, I remember a couple times in high school when our coach told our second team quarterback to "not get the first down." I always wondered if that is the right thing to do or not.

Yeah, good point about the 2nd/3rd teamers. They work as hard as everybody else on the team so there's no way in hell they shouldn't get an opportunity. You either take a knee or go full speed. It amazes me every time a coach gripes about getting the score run up on them.....If you don't like it, stop the opposing team. It's that simple. I'm not saying we ran up the score on them either.

Twentysix
09-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Thats crap imo. Don't be throwing 30 yard passes.. but you should conservativly shoot for a firstdown.

THEsocalledfan
09-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Thats crap imo. Don't be throwing 30 yard passes.. but you should conservativly shoot for a firstdown.

Specifically, "what is crap?" That NDSU went for it on 4th down?

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 02:49 PM
Specifically, "what is crap?" That NDSU went for it on 4th down?

I think he's referring to the "don't get a first down" strategy by the coach

DePereBisonFan
09-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Maybe DI records, but I believe there were a couple games where the Bison defense held opponents to negative yards. Moorhead State may have been one of those games.

Wow. That's ridiculous.

BisonNeil
09-04-2012, 03:45 PM

I always like Lou Holtz's attitude about this. He always said it wasn't his job to keep the score his team from scoring, it was the opposing coaches job.

tony
09-04-2012, 10:18 PM
Vraa is definitely not delicate... on that 46-yard reception he hit the ground hard and then had the defender fall on him so hard that he bounced. Maybe he is bionic?

My impression what that Brock was a little off on his passes in the first half (including that long pass) but he got more accurate in the second half.

NDSUBowler
09-04-2012, 10:25 PM
Vraa is definitely not delicate... on that 46-yard reception he hit the ground hard and then had the defender fall on him so hard that he bounced. Maybe he is bionic?

My impression what that Brock was a little off on his passes in the first half (including that long pass) but he got more accurate in the second half.
Seemed like he underthrew a few deeper passes and was off a bit on some over the middle passes. That just is likely a timing issue that shouldn't be too hard to fix, as was evident by his passing in second half (most noticeably the TD to Smith).

IIRC, Vraa's first twisting catch where he laid out was on a pass where he was pretty open but Brock threw it behind him causing him to twist and catch.

Sidenote: On Wentz's first pass that was blocked, was it low or did a defender do a good job getting his arm up? I feel like it was thrown right at the heads of the line and had no chance at all for completion. That being said, I am still a HUGE Wentz fan!

Trumpster
09-05-2012, 03:09 PM
Okay, Random thought, I keep seeing the stat that this was the first shutout since Miss. Valley St. in 2006. Don't they mean regular season shutout?
Didn't they shutout the highly touted offense of Lehigh last year in the playoffs?

TransAmBison
09-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Okay, Random thought, I keep seeing the stat that this was the first shutout since Miss. Valley St. in 2006. Don't they mean regular season shutout?
Didn't they shutout the highly touted offense of Lehigh last year in the playoffs?Butthockey.

standandyell
09-05-2012, 05:07 PM
Upon reviewing the game (love the games are televised) the first half offense looked a little more sloppy than I remember after 5 hours of tailgating, but thats normal for me and the first game of the year. 3rd quarter offense looked much better. Just a few instances of qb/rb exchange and qb/wr stuff that will get ironed out. The crowd was a little pedestrian, but cant expect too much after a 95 degree tailgate and a blowout game. All in all I think they are ready to put forth an excellent title defense effort.

I didnt notice. Is there any thing close to a Matt Veldman on this years team? I was a big fan of the lob to Veldman pass in the red zone...

NorthernBison
09-05-2012, 05:34 PM
Upon reviewing the game (love the games are televised) the first half offense looked a little more sloppy than I remember after 5 hours of tailgating, but thats normal for me and the first game of the year. 3rd quarter offense looked much better. Just a few instances of qb/rb exchange and qb/wr stuff that will get ironed out. The crowd was a little pedestrian, but cant expect too much after a 95 degree tailgate and a blowout game. All in all I think they are ready to put forth an excellent title defense effort.

I didnt notice. Is there any thing close to a Matt Veldman on this years team? I was a big fan of the lob to Veldman pass in the red zone...

It looked like we did more of the "back shoulder" throws down there on Saturday than I remember from years past.