PDA

View Full Version : The Plus Side of Kiffin as Gopher Coach

Wacker_in_the_Hall
01-12-2007, 05:24 PM
As I see it Kiffin is the frontruner, he certainly is the "sexiest" candidate, coming from USC with all the success they have had. He is a known recruiter.....but can he handle the administrtive side of things??

The Gophers AD has his ass on the line here--if he does not get the "right" guy he will not be around long. You can bet he will very interested in what the "big money" is saying. From what I have heard they are saying Kiffin.

If Kiffin is hired, you can be assured their recruiting area will grow. The more national they get in recruiting the better it is for us--there will be top level Minnesota kids left out of their list. (Similar to what happened in the Lou Holtz era.

Mr_Meanor
01-12-2007, 05:32 PM
I think the popular choice by the fans is Kiffin but I think the administration might be looking in a different direction. I for one don't think Kiffin would be a good choice. Everyone talks about Kiffin as a good recruiter but who wouldn't be working for USC under Carrol. I could recruit well for USC. He has no head coaching experience and thats a big jump to make. He has also been under alot of critism since taking over the Offensive cordinator position. I think the U of M will look for someone with more experience.

Scooter
01-12-2007, 06:08 PM
I think the popular choice by the fans is Kiffin but I think the administration might be looking in a different direction. *I for one don't think Kiffin would be a good choice. *Everyone talks about Kiffin as a good recruiter but who wouldn't be working for USC under Carrol. I could recruit well for USC. *He has no head coaching experience and thats a big jump to make. *He has also been under alot of critism since taking over the Offensive cordinator position. *I think the U of M will look for someone with more experience.

Still, I have to agree with Wacker_in_the_Hall on this one. You have a point that it is easier to recruit at a big name collage. However, are we going to penalize an applicant because they came from a successful program? Kiffin is where he is at because he has a degree of talent. There is a lot more to recruiting than just coming into a home and saying "USC wants you to come play football....I'll expect your answer in five minutes along with the promise that you sacrifice your first born on the alter of the all-powerful USC Trojan god. Aren't you lucky we chose you? Have a nice day."

Also, Tiffin's performance as an Offensive Coordinator? You try replacing the players he lost last year. If Reggie B comes back for his senior year, Florida doesn't even get to play for a Championship. Thank God that we didn't pass over Bohl simply because he was fired from Nebraska.

Mr_Meanor
01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
I think the popular choice by the fans is Kiffin but I think the administration might be looking in a different direction. *I for one don't think Kiffin would be a good choice. *Everyone talks about Kiffin as a good recruiter but who wouldn't be working for USC under Carrol. I could recruit well for USC. *He has no head coaching experience and thats a big jump to make. *He has also been under alot of critism since taking over the Offensive cordinator position. *I think the U of M will look for someone with more experience.

Still, I have to agree with Wacker_in_the_Hall on this one. *You have a point that it is easier to recruit at a big name collage. *However, are we going to penalize an applicant because they came from a successful program? *Kiffin is where he is at because he has a degree of talent. *There is a lot more to recruiting than just coming into a home and saying "USC wants you to come play football....I'll expect your answer in five minutes along with the promise that you sacrifice your first born on the alter of the all-powerful USC Trojan god. Aren't you lucky we chose you? Have a nice day."
Also, Tiffin's performance as an Offensive Coordinator? *You try replacing the players he lost last year. *If Reggie B comes back for his senior year, Florida doesn't even get to play for a Championship. *Thank God that we didn't pass over Bohl simply because he was fired from Nebraska. *

I understand theres alot more to recruiting but I really don't think he is as good at recruiting as people think he is....look at the location of USC....Cali is a hotbed for college football players...its much more difficult to recruit in the midwest than out in Cali

Scooter
01-12-2007, 06:29 PM
You are missing my point. *Kiffin is out there recruiting because he is very good at it, and Carrol has confidence in his abilities. *Universities like USC tend to attract good coaching talent, and if you don't perform, you can expect a pink slip. *I don't see a pink slip in the near future for Kiffin, do you? *These kids today are weighing all the options, and they are out there. *Michigan, Ohio St, Florida, Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, UCLA, Cal, Notre Dame, Florida St, Tennessee, Ball St, (just seeing if you paying attention) Nebraska, Michigan St, Penn St.......
The point is, at this level, you have to be a great salesman, Kiffin is a proven salesman. *Would it be a harder sell at Tulsa? *Sure it would, but we aren't talking about a U of Tulsa offensive coordinator either. *He has surpassed that level. *You can say, "anyone can recruit there." *But, you would be wrong. *You would be wrong because you forgot about the long line of proven recruiters that are polishing up their resumes' on the off chance that Kiffin leaves USC. Just "anyone" won't get a chance at USC.

sambini
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I was just listening to Chad Hartman on the KFAN he thinks Kiffin is the front runner. He also said on GOPHER ILLUSTRATED THAT THEY MIGHT BE IN TALKS RIGHT NOW HMM... I think he would be a very good choice.

sambini
01-12-2007, 07:42 PM
Story on GOPHER ILLUSTRATED.COM SAYS ITS BEEN OFFERED TO LANE KIFFIN.

NDSUstudent
01-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Recruiting isn't as easy as some think, sure USC has no problem getting kids from Cali but when they leave the state they have to go up against all the other major programs for talent. Yes, their team is made up mostly Cali kids but some of their big name guys like Booty and Jarrett are from Lousiana and New Jersey. If Minnesota is ever going to elevate their program to the level their fans want they'll need a guy like Kiffen who can bring in top talent.

Really, I think Kiffen is the guy because he has local connections and connections across the football world. He has been groomed most of his life to be a coach either by Caroll at USC or by his dad who is one of greatest defensive minds in the history of football. He may lack head coaching expeirence but I think he ready to be a HC.

NDSUFREAK10
01-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Story on GOPHER ILLUSTRATED.COM SAYS ITS BEEN OFFERED TO LANE KIFFIN.

:o......breath in......

WYOBISONMAN
01-12-2007, 09:03 PM
I hope Kiffin takes it..............I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE...........over and out........I am going to the bar!!

kchats
01-13-2007, 12:56 AM
I thought Minnesota was interested in recruiting the top prospects out of Minnesota High Schools. Kiffin would have to show a committment to retaining the top Minnesota kids.

sambini
01-13-2007, 01:05 AM
First of all they need a coach that gets along with the high school coaches in the state.