PDA

View Full Version : Our next opponent: Colorado State Univesity

heffray
09-01-2012, 10:33 PM
For those you not fortunate enough to be at the game tonight, CSU v CU is on Fox right now. I hate to say it, but CSU looks pretty good. CU might not very good either, but the Rams D-line looks like they are getting good penetration, the D-backs look pretty speedy, and their QB looks like he's got a good arm.

I was pretty confident about NDSU's chances, but now I think we may have a good battle on our hands.

Anyone who saw this game or knows anything about CSU, feel free to share...

coloradobison
09-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I have been watching and plan to post my thoughts on the game later. CSU front 7 looks strong on D, but I think CU offense is soft.

heffray
09-01-2012, 10:50 PM
I have been watching and plan to post my thoughts on the game later. CSU front 7 looks strong on D, but I think CU offense is soft.

Kinda like our offense near the end of the year?

coloradobison
09-01-2012, 10:52 PM
the announcers keep saying CU wants to be a power running team and they can't get any movement against CSU front 7. CSU front seven looks big, and looks to be a 3-4 to me, which we have had trouble with forever.

KSBisonFan
09-01-2012, 10:55 PM
I watched the first half of the game and I'm not worried about CSU.

Their D-line is the strength of their team. Grayson (QB) doesn't look comfortable and their O-line is porous to say the least. Colorado is not a good team. Consider Colorado's QB is Jordan Webb. Remember him? Yeah, he played for KU when we beat them.

CSU 1,000 yard rusher from last season played sparingly in the first half and I'm not sure why.....maybe a poor pass blocker???

Their punter has a big leg and did I mention their O-line is awful? Biggest concern will be their D-line.

Interested to hear what others saw.

EmeraldCityBison
09-02-2012, 01:34 AM
Yahoo Sports recap of the game says Nwoke (CSU starting RB) went out with a leg injury.

heffray
09-02-2012, 01:38 AM
Ok. After watching the Bison for 3 Quarters, I feel like we still have a pretty good shot at the W against CSU. Biggest question mark for me will be if our offense can score some legitimate points. I think our D will give us a chance to be in this game, but we have to control the pace of the game when we have the ball in order to succeed.

heffray
09-02-2012, 01:39 AM
Yahoo Sports recap of the game says Nwoke (CSU starting RB) went out with a leg injury.

And they won anyway... Hmm...

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:13 AM
Do we know if theres tv coverage of this game yet?

unbison
09-02-2012, 02:18 AM
Do we know if theres tv coverage of this game yet? better question for you may be; does anyone know if there is tv coverage?...... Because we includes you and you obviously don't know

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:21 AM
Um...ok. if that makes you feel better. come out of your cave to troll?

unbison
09-02-2012, 02:24 AM
Um...ok. if that makes you feel better. come out of your cave to troll?Troll?
Unsure why u think I troll maybe its because you make such absurd statements idk can't know what a person that is arrogantly lazy and ignorant really thinks

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:28 AM
Troll?
Unsure why u think I troll maybe its because you make such absurd statements idk can't know what a person that is arrogantly lazy and ignorant really thinks

Your a broken record. Yeah...cuz your posts are so wonderful get over yourself. Find something new to post and contribute to the board. . There is an ignore function in your settings. Have someone show you how to use it or get over it.

heffray
09-02-2012, 02:32 AM
Easy fellas, let's talk about CSU...

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:34 AM
Easy fellas, let's talk about CSU...

I was trying.

heffray
09-02-2012, 02:37 AM
I was trying.

I know. Last I checked it was just listed as having Local Nodak NBC coverage, and that is it. I think the tv schedule thread has a list of what networks are covering each game.

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:38 AM
I know. Last I checked it was just listed as having Local Nodak NBC coverage, and that is it. I think the tv schedule thread has a list of what networks are covering each game.

A friend of mine ordered gameplan from directv tonight. Theytold him they would be having 10 bison games this season?????

heffray
09-02-2012, 02:40 AM
A friend of mine ordered gameplan from directv tonight. Theytold him they would be having 10 bison games this season?????

Yes, and I believe that the CSU game is not one if them? Could be wrong about that.

BisonTeacher
09-02-2012, 02:41 AM
Yes, and I believe that the CSU game is not one if them? Could be wrong about that.

Ok thanks.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 03:02 AM

Their D-line is the strength of their team. Grayson (QB) doesn't look comfortable and their O-line is porous to say the least. Colorado is not a good team. Consider Colorado's QB is Jordan Webb. Remember him? Yeah, he played for KU when we beat them.

CSU 1,000 yard rusher from last season played sparingly in the first half and I'm not sure why.....maybe a poor pass blocker???

Their punter has a big leg and did I mention their O-line is awful? Biggest concern will be their D-line.

I watched the game and I agree with your assessment. CSU offense is poor at best. O-line is weak. They claim their rushing game is their stong suit. Look at the stats. A total of 125 yards rushing. Total of 298 offense against a very poor opponent. Look at last years Saragin rankings. CSU and CU weren't even close to us. So, in this matchup, I think our D handles their O easily.

CSU's D appears to be their strong suit. Their D line and linebackers are solid against the run. From what I saw, their weakness is against the pass. This is where the matchup will get interesting. We will have a hard time establishing the run, at least early on.

This will be a very interesting game. I think it will be very low scoring as we have a stronger D than their O and their D will give our running fits early on. I think the difference in the game will be if our D can score on their O, which I fully expect will happen. As mentioned above, their O is poor all around. I think our D will handle them easily and this will be the difference in the game.

NDSU 14
CSU 10

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 03:40 AM
Lets hear some noise about this game.

COME ON BISON NATION!!!!! LETS PUMP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!! :hide:

sorry lakes. I stole your shtick

heffray
09-02-2012, 03:47 AM
Lets hear some noise about this game.

COME ON BISON NATION!!!!! LETS PUMP IT UP!!!!!!!!!!! :hide:

sorry lakes. I stole your shtick

Yeah!!!!!!

X-Factor
09-02-2012, 03:52 AM
Untrue. We had trouble with the 3-4 a few years ago. Since then we have destroyed every 3-4 we have met. Last year we played many 3-4 teams and had absolutely no trouble imo

stevdock
09-02-2012, 03:56 AM
Untrue. We had trouble with the 3-4 a few years ago. Since then we have destroyed every 3-4 we have met. Last year we played many 3-4 teams and had absolutely no trouble imo

Like who?? We had plenty of problems with the 3-4 last year. Against an average at best SIU team we had to run a flea flicker to Smith and a great catch by Veldman to win. UNI we switched Richard to Center to play against their best D Lineman and that was a huge reason why we won. I don't remember who else ran a 3-4 but I would say it is still far from solved for the NDSU offense.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 03:57 AM
We'll win. Gotta get to bed now. Lots of geese to shoot at (and hopefully kill) tomorrow.

AjaxTheMighty
09-02-2012, 03:58 AM
better question for you may be; does anyone know if there is tv coverage?...... Because we includes you and you obviously don't know

An even better question for you would be: do you know when to use a semi-colon? WE would bet not...

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Like who?? We had plenty of problems with the 3-4 last year. Against an average at best SIU team we had to run a flea flicker to Smith and a great catch by Veldman to win. UNI we switched Richard to Center to play against their best D Lineman and that was a huge reason why we won. I don't remember who else ran a 3-4 but I would say it is still far from solved for the NDSU offense.

Damned Stevie, I was ready to go to bed.

I watched the CSU game and your right, we will struggle with their D, at least early on. However, their O is horrid, hence a low scoring affair in which I feel we will prevail. Our d will be the difference.

AjaxTheMighty
09-02-2012, 05:09 AM

These 4 teams in the valley run the 3-4: SIU, UNI, ISU-red, Mizzo st. We were 4-0 against them last year. Also...moving Richards to center to man-handle Boothby is proof that our coaches know how to scheme against it. Your point seems to be contradicted in that statement. Sometimes you have to make those changes to win. That is what good coaches do. Hazelton was ready then, and Kleimann (being a former 3-4 coach at UNI) can only be a good thing. Didn't UNI go to a 4-3 in that game last year in the second half...for whatever reason?

ndsubison1
09-02-2012, 06:35 AM

agreed. this was a game of two mediocre teams. i want to see how our WRs step up in a big game like this though. our defense will be the difference. i think we win by double digits.

KSBisonFan
09-02-2012, 01:55 PM
All this talk about the 3-4 made me do a double-take. I didn't see a true 3-4 formation on most of CSU's defensive plays. There was almost always a 4th defender lined up where the left DE would be, usually standing up. It seemed CSU had their best success when they lined up this way and all 4 linemen rushed the QB. I know they are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 so I did some research and found this article. Good read. Turns out it's almost a hybrid and they are doing it to accomodate one of their best LB's.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2012/08/27/csu-playing-34-43-defense-2/24407/

CSU gained some confidence with that win yesterday and may be a tougher test because of it. Again, their front 7 looks stout and will give our young O-line some challenges for at least the first half. Offensively, CSU looked bad. Their O-line is atrocious and their QB (Grayson) is not seasoned at all and can be rattled. I have no doubt our front 4 will get plenty of pressure on him without any fancy schemes. I'll be interested to see how bad the RB's leg injury is.

heffray
09-02-2012, 02:08 PM
All this talk about the 3-4 made me do a double-take. I didn't see a true 3-4 formation on most of CSU's defensive plays. There was almost always a 4th defender lined up where the left DE would be, usually standing up. It seemed CSU had their best success when they lined up this way and all 4 linemen rushed the QB. I know they are switching from a 4-3 to a 3-4 so I did some research and found this article. Good read. Turns out it's almost a hybrid and they are doing it to accomodate one of their best LB's.

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2012/08/27/csu-playing-34-43-defense-2/24407/

CSU gained some confidence with that win yesterday and may be a tougher test because of it. Again, their front 7 looks stout and will give our young O-line some challenges for at least the first half. Offensively, CSU looked bad. Their O-line is atrocious and their QB (Grayson) is not seasoned at all and can be rattled. I have no doubt our front 4 will get plenty of pressure on him without any fancy schemes. I'll be interested to see how bad the RB's leg injury is.

Pride cometh before the fall?

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 03:18 PM
Based on the Ralphie Report, CU is pretty bad and their OL was terrible (but CSU DL could be that good?).

http://www.ralphiereport.com/2012/9/1/3286062/colorado-buffaloes-colorado-state-rams-quick-hits

From this report it sounds as though CSU blitzed the young CU OL a lot. They will probably do the same against NDSUs young OL.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_21452448/football-csu-rams-upset-cu-buffs-rocky-mountain?source=most_viewed#axzz25KHEteJ8

IzzyFlexion
09-02-2012, 03:21 PM
These 4 teams in the valley run the 3-4: SIU, UNI, ISU-red, Mizzo st. We were 4-0 against them last year. Also...moving Richards to center to man-handle Boothby is proof that our coaches know how to scheme against it. Your point seems to be contradicted in that statement. Sometimes you have to make those changes to win. That is what good coaches do. Hazelton was ready then, and Kleimann (being a former 3-4 coach at UNI) can only be a good thing. Didn't UNI go to a 4-3 in that game last year in the second half...for whatever reason?

If I remember correctly, he was the player of the century. :rofl:

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 03:30 PM
Pretty good unbiased read about the game from the Denver Post. Best quote:

"I don't want to disrespect (previous) Coach (Steve) Fairchild," Embree said, "but it just seems like they believe more this year."

And from this reporter it does sound as though CSU blitzes a lot.

Defensively, the Rams blitzed more in the second half as they stymied the run game and focused on pressuring Webb.

If that is true, I expect a heck of a game and a heck of a challenge for the NDSU OL.

BisonNeil
09-02-2012, 03:48 PM
The Ram board has some interesting comments from their fans about the NDSU game. And as expected, Lakes is posting there.

http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/athletics/2012/September/2/1394203.php

I know this was posted before, this is the most archaic message board ever. Wow...

BisoninNWMN
09-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Watching some of the highlights of the CSU/CU game.....last year's gophers team is better than CSU.

The Bison need to bring their A-game but this game is not a mis-match for the Bison. Our defense will 'bend' some but their offense is not very good. The Bison offense needs to not make mistakes but overall the Bison should win.

Ya, their fan board is a joke.

MNLonghorn10
09-02-2012, 03:56 PM
better not lose because that drive back will suck.

56BISON73
09-02-2012, 03:57 PM

At SIU it wasnt the defense its self that gave us trouble. It was the game plan and the players who made up the defense. they were tough. Our O just couldnt push them around.

AjaxTheMighty
09-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Hey Ramnation 1994 called, they want their message board back!

ndsubison1
09-02-2012, 06:08 PM

after beating their rivals they will be confident in beating us. i am expecting the same old fbs treatment from the fans (other than the gophers). they see that were fcs and assume they will beat us

heffray
09-02-2012, 06:51 PM
The Ram board has some interesting comments from their fans about the NDSU game. And as expected, Lakes is posting there.

I know this was posted before, this is the most archaic message board ever. Wow...

My fav line in there: "We ran all over CU we will run all over North Dakota..."

Someone needs to post the following, in response to that: "You're right, you would run all over North Dakota. We are North Dakota State."

AjaxTheMighty
09-02-2012, 07:02 PM
My fav line in there: "We ran all over CU we will run all over North Dakota..."

Someone needs to post the following, in response to that: "You're right, you would run all over North Dakota. We are North Dakota State."

Better yet, if anyone on here is a member of that brutal message board, go and tell them that COLORADO is going to run into a buzz saw in the form of NDSU!

westnodak93bison
09-02-2012, 07:58 PM
No way NDSU can beat CSU. They are fbs and NDSU is fcs. They are from CO which is better than ND.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Based on the Ralphie Report, CU is pretty bad and their OL was terrible (but CSU DL could be that good?).

http://www.ralphiereport.com/2012/9/1/3286062/colorado-buffaloes-colorado-state-rams-quick-hits

From this report it sounds as though CSU blitzed the young CU OL a lot. They will probably do the same against NDSUs young OL.

http://www.coloradodaily.com/ci_21452448/football-csu-rams-upset-cu-buffs-rocky-mountain?source=most_viewed#axzz25KHEteJ8

Yes they did blitz a lot.

That means we run screen passes to "Crocket the Rocket" and see what happens. :)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-02-2012, 09:05 PM

I think their fans are the most ignorant and idiotic fans in all of FBS. I used to think Gopher fans owned this title, but CSU fans have set a new standard. Its not like they have had a winning tradition for eons. They shouldn't be looking past anyone at this point in their teams history.

Oh well, let them talk. It will make it all the more sweet when we throttle their asses.

loudsilverado
09-02-2012, 11:51 PM
I can't even read their message board, it's horrible. Straight out of 1994-1995, ofcourse according to Hando my blackberry should be able to hook up with it pretty easily.

coloradobison
09-02-2012, 11:58 PM
Here are my thoughts on CSU from what I saw from the game against CU.
Offense – offense shifted a lot in the early part of the game and ran mostly power run plays early on, and Nwoke (#6) is a pretty decent power back with a couple of 200+ yards games last year (he left with an injury later in the game and didn’t return, if I recall he had an ankle problem during camp and was questionable for the game). With Nwoke, they didn’t get much going on the ground with #7 or#20. #25 for CSU is shifty WR and has some speed, similar to Ryan Smith in size and game – they ran a couple screens for him, including a TD, and he had a carry or two and looked pretty elusive.
Grayson, their QB, has some mobility, but his downfield throwing ability does not scare me. Multiple times he stared down his receiver who never game open and immediately put his head down to try to escape the pocket, not looking to any other receivers. The passes he did complete downfield were to wide open receivers with plenty of time in the pocket.
CSU had very little going offensively before a turnover right before half where they scored on one play from 25 yards out, that seemed to get them going a little. Their power run game scares me more than their passing game by far. They don’t seem to have any playmakers on the outside, instead having a couple small WR’s over the middle that can do damage with some speed.

Defense – the front seven got penetration at times against what seems to be a fairly weak CU offensive line, but more often that not, it was via the blitz – very few times when rushing just 4 did CSU’s d-line get into the backfield and disrupt the QB. CU managed just 58 yards rushing but I don’t see CU being a hard-nosed running team like we are. CSU was vulnerable to the pass while the CU offensive line showed any sort of pass protection, but that was short lived because CSU started bringing pressure and was having success and blitzed quite often in the second half. When the CU WR’s got into space, they were able to make a few plays in open space and gain good chunks of yards. The corners often gave large cushions from the line of scrimmage and quick hitches and WR screens should be successful. I think our passing game will be successful against their secondary if our line can protect. CU’s quarterback played most of the second half with an injured leg or lower back that limited his effectiveness in being able to move the ball.

Bottom line – Their new coach seems to have them believing a little more than last year. I think our young O-line with have a good test in the front line of the CSU defense and the pressure they bring with 5 or 6 guys in their blitz packages. Our run game might struggle a little early with their 3-4 and run blitzes. I believe we will need a good day in our passing game in order to effectively and consistently move the ball against CSU’s defense, and hopefully we can pop a couple long runs.
I think our QB is much better than their QB and I think our defense is better than theirs. NDSU wins this one, 20-13.

Bisonguy
09-03-2012, 12:09 AM
I tried reading their board, but cripes it looks like a usenet group from the early 90's. I had to leave after I saw someone post that Robert Morris started their football team last year and they knew that because their nephew is on the team. :rofl: Actually, RMU started football in 1994, so this leads me to believe that the Colorado State message board is stuck in the mid-90's.

I don't know if they have a lounge or something like the Watering Hole, but if they do I'd expect an ASCII drawing of Claudia Schiffer to be one of the top threads.

td577
09-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I tried reading their board, but cripes it looks like a usenet group from the early 90's. I had to leave after I saw someone post that Robert Morris started their football team last year ...

There is the rmu in Chicago that did start football in 2010.

iceberg
09-03-2012, 12:45 AM
for the person who asked about TV here is what I found

My20 in Denver
ND NBC group (so all 5 stations)

NOT ON ESPN3 nor ESPN game Plan.

streaming is on cbssports
http://ulive.cbssports.com/

Bisonguy
09-03-2012, 12:55 AM
There is the rmu in Chicago that did start football in 2010.

Yeah, that'd be legit if they were on the Bison schedule.

td577
09-03-2012, 01:22 AM
Yeah, that'd be legit if they were on the Bison schedule.

It doesn't really matter one way or another for me what rmu csu fans think we played.

I think it is amazing some guy who was a terrible failure at just about everything he did had a couple of schools out there named after him simply because he signed the declaration of independence. Pretty impressive.

Hammerhead
09-03-2012, 02:17 AM
CSU would be lucky to finish 4th in the MVFC. At least some of their fans know we are ND State although they don't understand that we have some very good running backs in our own conference.

bruinbison
09-03-2012, 02:33 AM
CSU shifts focus to defending FCS champion.....

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120902/SPORTS/309020040/CSU-shifts-focus-defending-FCS-champion?nclick_check=1

Wally
09-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Says the game is on FX...not sure how accurate it is....doesn't show up on the guide on my comcast box anyway

http://www.csurams.com/gameday/csu-12-gameday.html

HandoEX
09-03-2012, 02:46 AM
CSU shifts focus to defending FCS champion.....

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120902/SPORTS/309020040/CSU-shifts-focus-defending-FCS-champion?nclick_check=1
I guess the writer can't count to 5.

westnodak93bison
09-03-2012, 03:09 AM
Is the game at Hughes Field or Sports Authority Field at Mile High?

b15on
09-03-2012, 03:11 AM
Is the game at Hughes Field or Sports Authority Field at Mile High?

Hughes Stadium in Fort Collins

The game against Colorado at Mile High was just a one-time deal.

SamsRams
09-03-2012, 04:10 AM
I guess the writer can't count to 5.

Well the first win vs Minnesota was basically playing a DII team looking at the stats. And people know even less about Ball St than Snow College. So I can see how he would think it is 3-3

Love the beginning of the article though

DENVER — There were two NCAA Division I national champions last year, coach Jim McElwain reminded his CSU football team Saturday evening just minutes after the Rams opened their season with a 22-17 win over the University of Colorado.

Alabama, where he spent the past four years as the offensive coordinator, was the Football Bowl Subdivision champion, and the North Dakota State team that visits Fort Collins on Saturday was the Football Championship Division champion.

BisonTeacher
09-03-2012, 04:33 AM
Says the game is on FX...not sure how accurate it is....doesn't show up on the guide on my comcast box anyway

http://www.csurams.com/gameday/csu-12-gameday.html

I wonder if thats a typo. FX would be awesome if its on there, but I have never seen football on FX. Let me rephrase. The League is on FX...but I have never seen an actual football game televised on FX.

DjKyRo
09-03-2012, 05:07 AM
DENVER — There were two NCAA Division I national champions last year

From what I recall there was exactly one - NDSU. Alabama was the BCS national champion.

Bisonguy
09-03-2012, 05:08 AM
I wonder if thats a typo. FX would be awesome if its on there, but I have never seen football on FX. Let me rephrase. The League is on FX...but I have never seen an actual football game televised on FX.

Colorado vs. Colorado State was on FX this weekend and there's two games scheduled for next weekend.

The_Sicatoka
09-03-2012, 06:28 AM
Did I read that CSU lost their top RB in the Colorado game?

SamsRams
09-03-2012, 10:27 AM
they are reairing this game a few times this week on FSN channels. My first quarter thoughts
° surprising it was only the 84th time they've met
° Nwoke is by far their best threat
° QBGrayson doesn't look comfortable. receivers look talented but I'm not sure he can get the ball when under pressure. hit him early and I think you rattle him for the whole game
° the defensive personnel is 3-4 but they line up as a 5-2. pressure seems to come right up the middle so i expect Colville to get tested early
° their kicker is long and true first attempt from 47 and he nailed it
2nd quarter
° more pressure up the middle but if you can hold them off receivers will get open
° they are always shifting the formation. so now it makes sense why they left Littlejohn in the fourth quarter to play the sam linebacker
° their defense really swarms to the football
° Colorado takes a 14-3 lead. will be interesting to see CSU's come back
° Colorado muffs a punr and the Rams score the next play later to cut it to 14 to 10
off to bed second half tomorrow

BisonTeacher
09-03-2012, 12:46 PM
Colorado vs. Colorado State was on FX this weekend and there's two games scheduled for next weekend.

Are you talking FX ch 248 directv? Or some fox sports channel. If it is fx 248 i totally missed that. I hope it is because then i get to watch the game.

Edit. Just looked on fx webpage. It has a game listed but has wisconsin at oregon state listed in the afternoon but i didnt see anything after that. Looks like superbad is on though.

Wally
09-03-2012, 01:56 PM

After looking at it closer it probably is a screwup....I got too excited and missed the fact that they put the game location as Mile High in Denver as well

BisonTeacher
09-03-2012, 02:09 PM
After looking at it closer it probably is a screwup....I got too excited and missed the fact that they put the game location as Mile High in Denver as well

Well fx does broadcast football so you were right about that. Learn something new everyday.

Wally
09-03-2012, 02:20 PM
As iceberg mentioned above, the only broadcast from CSU is on KTVD Channel 20

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/082712aab.html

bruinbison
09-03-2012, 02:44 PM
This article gave thumb-nail schetches of the CSU-CU position match-ups

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120831/SPORTS/308310053/Rocky-Mountain-Showdown-preview-by-position

This Fort Collins writer did give the slight game edge to CSU, talking of new Coach Jim McElwain
and his last 4 years spent as Offensive Coordinator under Nick Saban at Alabama.
Says CSU distributed 18,169 tickets for the game in Denver.
One of the advantages for CSU was at running back with Chris Nwoke - 1130 yds rushing last season.
This next article - Young CSU players contribute to win - tells of Nwoke having to leave the game with an
ankle sprain in the 3rd qtr. His back-up ran for 66 yards on 8 carries - 2 page article
Also in there - linebacker Cory James had 3 QB sacks before halftime

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120901/SPORTS/309010030/Young-CSU-players-contribute-win?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|CSU Rams Football

loudsilverado
09-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Since I managed to read part of their board, it looks like a few of them have been over to bisonville. I will give them something to talk about, I say we roll CSU by atleast 3 touchdowns. They are a middle of the pack MVFC team.

HandoEX
09-03-2012, 02:54 PM
I hope our RBs are ready to pass block. That is one question mark I have for that group after DJ graduated, especially against a team that blitzes alot.

KilldeerBison
09-03-2012, 03:09 PM
Did I read that CSU lost their top RB in the Colorado game?

INJURY REPORT – Nwoke left the game in the third quarter with a sprain to what had been his good ankle (he sprained the other ankle during fall camp). Blake aggravated a hamstring injury, and cornerback Momo Thomas had to leave the game in the fourth quarter for muscle cramps.
Bernard Blake DB 6-0 175 SO 1L
Chris Nwoke RB 6-0 213 JR 2L

b15on
09-03-2012, 03:18 PM
Schnepf: A down but hungry CSU football program awaits Bison

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373082/group/sports/

Surprisingly, Kevin Schnepf succeeded in fighting the urge to throw UND in there

ISXBISON
09-03-2012, 06:16 PM

Surprisingly, Kevin Schnepf succeeded in fighting the urge to throw UND in there

It will probably be "Updated" later...

heffray
09-03-2012, 06:35 PM

Can't stand that nosil...

IzzyFlexion
09-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Hughes Stadium capacity is only 32,500. Horseshoe shaped in a beautiful setting.
In their 2011 border war game against Wyoming (their home and season finale) they only drew 17,207. Weather was: 26 degrees, cloudy with a light breeze.

Clearly, after a big win vs in state rival CU and being their home opener, there will likely be a near capacity crowd but by no means an intimidating number for the Herd to deal with.

KSBisonFan
09-03-2012, 06:44 PM
I hope our RBs are ready to pass block. That is one question mark I have for that group after DJ graduated, especially against a team that blitzes alot.

We'll definitely need our RB's to pick up some blitzes. I'd look for us to go big up front with some 2 TE sets to chip any outside blitzers. Let them blitz and watch our RB screens, TE seam routes and short passes to our WR slow them down.

b15on
09-03-2012, 08:24 PM
CSU Coach Jim McElwain had his press conference today. Here are some the quotes he had according to CSU's twitter page (https://twitter.com/CSUFootball).

(On NDSU) "This has been circled on my calendar. I know what a good team this is. They have built a program that expects to win."

(On NDSU game) "We're excited for a home game. We're excited to get students out, get fans in the seats and have them support this team."

(On NDSU's run game) "They can put on a clinic about how to run between the tackles."

SamsRams
09-03-2012, 09:44 PM
For all my CSU updates I follow Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post (https://twitter.com/dempseypost)

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2012/09/03/csu-running-chris-nwokes-status-saturdays-game-ndsu-determined/24527/

FORT COLLINS – Running back Chris Nwoke (ankle) is not expected to practice today and is questionable for Saturday’s home opener against North Dakota State.

And, according to CSU coach Jim McElwain, if the junior does not practice by Wednesday, he will not play in the game.

“It’s that simple,” McElwain said. “As you know, I don’t believe in gamers. You’ve got to do it in practice, which shows you can do it in the game.”

http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2012/09/03/csus-james-roberts-named-mountain-west-players-week/24521/

CSU’s James, Roberts named Mountain West players of the week

td577
09-03-2012, 09:57 PM
Hughes Stadium capacity is only 32,500. Horseshoe shaped in a beautiful setting.
In their 2011 border war game against Wyoming (their home and season finale) they only drew 17,207. Weather was: 26 degrees, cloudy with a light breeze.

Clearly, after a big win vs in state rival CU and being their home opener, there will likely be a near capacity crowd but by no means an intimidating number for the Herd to deal with.

Another inexperienced crowd. They will try to out cheer bison fans when their own team is on offense.

heffray
09-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Another inexperienced crowd. They will try to out cheer bison fans when their own team is on offense.

People actually do that?

roadwarrior
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
People actually do that?

In Texas they do....

bruinbison
09-03-2012, 10:12 PM
James and Roberts earn Mountain West Player of the Week honors
(James - CSU linebacker & Roberts CSU kicker)

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090312aab.html

heffray
09-03-2012, 10:14 PM
In Texas they do....

I guess I didn't notice because I was yelling too loud to hear anything else.

Do people not understand how this whole noise-during-opposing-offense thing works?

Tatanka
09-03-2012, 11:05 PM
I guess I didn't notice because I was yelling too loud to hear anything else.

Do people not understand how this whole noise-during-opposing-offense thing works?

In Texas, they didn't. Even the SHSU fans sitting behind us, after we told them why we were laughing at them, didn't get it.

tony
09-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Isn't the name Donnell Alexander familiar? I think NDSU might have offered him.

8+ ypc and caught a pass for 19 yards on Saturday.

A1pigskin
09-03-2012, 11:20 PM
They are still an FBS team. This will be a good test for what the rest of the season could look like.

SamsRams
09-03-2012, 11:25 PM
I am really excited for this game. Still dont have tickets, but they aint gonna sell out so Im not worried

coloradobison
09-03-2012, 11:40 PM
Isn't the name Donnell Alexander familiar? I think NDSU might have offered him.

8+ ypc and caught a pass for 19 yards on Saturday.

Might be starting as Nwoke is questionable for the game right now. http://blogs.denverpost.com/colleges/2012/09/03/csu-running-chris-nwokes-status-saturdays-game-ndsu-determined/24527/

56BISON73
09-03-2012, 11:43 PM
People actually do that?

Yeah in TX it was hilarious.

SamsRams
09-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Yeah in TX it was hilarious.

there were old bison fans that did the same. I wanted to inform the lady in front of me to cheer on d and not on offense but I didnt wanna bring any bad karma upon myself

tony
09-04-2012, 12:38 AM
there were old bison fans that did the same. I wanted to inform the lady in front of me to cheer on d and not on offense but I didnt wanna bring any bad karma upon myself

Good call. When anybody makes noise in the FargoDome, they deserve a pat on the back.

BisonNation11
09-04-2012, 02:07 AM
I watched a replay of the game last night online, and as a home field crowd, I'd have to say we've become pretty smart fans. You could hear the calls Jensen was making and you could hear the RMU sidelines yelling "run" or "pass" on every play, even over the announcers. It's great that the fan base has become aware of when to be loud and proud, and when to be reserved.

Jay
09-04-2012, 02:11 AM
NDSU/CSU game notes: http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090312aad.html

Gully
09-04-2012, 02:31 AM
I watched a replay of the game last night online, and as a home field crowd, I'd have to say we've become pretty smart fans. You could hear the calls Jensen was making and you could hear the RMU sidelines yelling "run" or "pass" on every play, even over the announcers. It's great that the fan base has become aware of when to be loud and proud, and when to be reserved.

I think our crowd has always been pretty good about that stuff....there are just more of us now.

b15on
09-04-2012, 02:54 AM
Colorado State website's Game Notes: Rams vs. North Dakota State Bison....CSU hosts 2011 FCS national champs in home opener

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090312aad.html

loudsilverado
09-04-2012, 03:04 AM
Colorado State website's Game Notes: Rams vs. North Dakota State Bison....CSU hosts 2011 FCS national champs in home opener

http://www.csurams.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090312aad.html

Thanks for the link, good info.

roadwarrior
09-04-2012, 03:06 AM
Some parking lots will open at 10am it says. $10 parking fee plus $25 for early entry (before 2pm).

bri-dog
09-04-2012, 03:07 AM
Some parking lots will open at 10am it says. $10 parking fee plus $25 for early entry (before 2pm).

I saw that too. I wish they'd ALL open at 10.

CaBisonFan
09-04-2012, 03:12 AM
They are still an FBS team. This will be a good test for what the rest of the season could look like.

.....this.....

56BISON73
09-04-2012, 03:24 AM

Would have been nice if they told us which ones opened early. Looks like some phone calls need to be made.

EmeraldCityBison
09-04-2012, 03:50 AM
Check out this highlight clip of the CSU vs CU game. Pretty cool other than its the same 5 or 6 plays shown from different camera angles.

http://www.csurams.com/allaccess/?media=332305

HoopsBison
09-04-2012, 04:10 AM
this should be a goood test for us. i dont care how bad csu has been, this is a fbs team and on the road.

i stilll like our chances for three big reasons.

1. our defense is rock solid.
2. we have proven we can run the football against fbs teams.
3. smart qb play, brock rarely makes bad choices.

reformedUNDfan
09-04-2012, 04:12 AM
this should be a goood test for us. i dont care how bad csu has been, this is a fbs team and on the road.

i stilll like our chances for three big reasons.

1. our defense is rock solid.
2. we have proven we can run the football against fbs teams.
3. smart qb play, brock rarely makes bad choices.
4. healthy receivers. that this year vs last year is going to be a game changer.

BisonNation11
09-04-2012, 04:21 AM
Check out this highlight clip of the CSU vs CU game. Pretty cool other than its the same 5 or 6 plays shown from different camera angles.

http://www.csurams.com/allaccess/?media=332305

Watching this clip a few times, I noticed a few things that I don't think NDSU will have a problem with.

1. QB had a lot of pressure/hits from the back side. Turner has that side on lock down so I have no worries there.
2. CU's OL didn't run very well between the tackles. They didn't get any lineman up on the LB's. The real Rams will take care of it.
3. Poor team tackling/pursuit to the ball by CU defense. I've read some boards about how CSU fans think we are undersized on defense and will get over-powered towards the end of the game. I don't want to sound like theBIGundie, but in this case I think our speed on defense and pursuit to the ball will pay off HUGE! We play strong for being "undersized" and have smart players that go where they need to.
4. Too many turnovers. Last year, NDSU was great in the turnover department, and seem to be well on their way to duplicating that again this year.

Take care of the ball, take care of the clock, keep our defense off the field, and play a clean game. With that said, if all those things happen, Bison fans should have a great trip back home!

ndsubison1
09-04-2012, 05:04 AM
we are going to lose because:

1. They beat Colorado
2. Altitude
3. We're FCS
4. We lost to Wyoming 4 years ago who lost to CSU

SamsRams
09-04-2012, 06:41 AM
This is why I love Dempsey. Been awhile since a non-conference opponents beat writer did a piece that pumped up NDSU and didnt get any facts wrong!

http://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_21461871/csu-rams-wary-2011-fcs-national-champion-north

"You talk about a fundamentally sound outfit," McElwain said. "Defensively, they cause not necessarily schematic problems, but they play so darn hard and so precise — and they understand, and they believe."

Offensively, McElwain said the Bison resemble what CSU is trying to be and what some of his teams at other stops in the past have been. The wide receivers are young — only one returnee has caught more than 10 passes in a season. But quarterback Brock Jensen is a proven veteran. Add the return of running back Sam Ojuri, an 1,100-yard rusher a year ago, and its easy to see why McElwain might lose some sleep over the prospects of playing this team.

Luckily they gave the editor a chance to put an error in and they put in a great one. Under the picture of Bohl it reads
North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl, a former Nebraska Cornhusker, directed the Bison to a 14-1 record and the FBS national championship last season.

mhyer63
09-04-2012, 07:24 AM
Last time I looked, the BCS was division I
From what I recall there was exactly one - NDSU. Alabama was the BCS national champion.

SamsRams
09-04-2012, 09:30 AM
they are reairing this game a few times this week on FSN channels. My first quarter thoughts
° surprising it was only the 84th time they've met
° Nwoke is by far their best threat
° QBGrayson doesn't look comfortable. receivers look talented but I'm not sure he can get the ball when under pressure. hit him early and I think you rattle him for the whole game
° the defensive personnel is 3-4 but they line up as a 5-2. pressure seems to come right up the middle so i expect Colville to get tested early
° their kicker is long and true first attempt from 47 and he nailed it
2nd quarter
° more pressure up the middle but if you can hold them off receivers will get open
° they are always shifting the formation. so now it makes sense why they left Littlejohn in the fourth quarter to play the sam linebacker
° their defense really swarms to the football
° Colorado takes a 14-3 lead. will be interesting to see CSU's come back
° Colorado muffs a punt and the Rams score the next play later to cut it to 14 to 10
off to bed second half tomorrow

Ok my bad it was 14-9 at half guess their kicker missed PAT......3rd quarter
° more pressure up the middle. Happy Lund is there to anchor the guards.
° first possession of the second half in Rams go no huddle a few plays
° Nwokes first carry is where he gets hurt. his left ankle gets rolled up, but he appears to be stretching out a calf or achilles. but he carries the ball the very next time and gets 8 yards
° 2 plays later grayson throws a wide receiver screen to Ryan Smith look alike in true freshman and Colorado player of the year last year Joe Hansley
° they try an onside kick immediately after up 16 to 14. but referees didn't whistle play to resume yet. so expect some tricks on Saturday
° CSU third string running back fumbles inside the 20 giving Colorado great field position. CSU's defense holds stopping them on fourth down. I am impressed with their defense, hard to imagine they lost two stud starters
° grayson struggles reading coverages and their offensive line doesn't hold their blocks very long. press the receivers and the sacks and knock downs will pile up
fourth quarter 16 to 14 CSU
° the punt coverage skills are not very good. Colorado get a short field and a field goal 17 to 16 Bufs lead
° less shifting of the full back and tight end in the second half but more wide receiver and running back motion. let Alexander build up some speed and he is hard to catch
° Colorado calls timeout after CSU lines up in a ridiculous formation
° Nwoke hasnt returned and I haven't seen Morris since the fumble. the carries have been split between Alexander and their power back Brown
° with the wind at his back kicker makes a 48 yard field goal to give CSU the lead
° CSU forces 3 N Out when they need to the most. once again its pressure of the middle on third down that forces a bad throw. Wentz better be ready because they bring the heat on the quarterback. Colorado quarterback getting peeled off the grass
° colorado's defense is not very good. bison would put up 35 on them every game
° another field goal and that makes it 22 to 17
° colorado's offense is not very good also

Colorado State is going to win and their players are dancing like it's the Superbowl. #5 had cramps so bad he had to leave the game but when it's time to stand on the bleacher and pump up the crowd he's the top cheerleader

BisonAccountant44
09-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Last time I looked, the BCS was division I

The BCS championship is won by a DI team, but it is not officially recognized as an NCAA DI championship.

Bison"FANatic"
09-04-2012, 02:00 PM
You have to love reading the Rams message board. Same babble different year different team. Your just FCS, Your not big, you will be slower than us, You don't understand the altitude. Different verse same as the first, and second and third and fourth. Keep underestimating us. Should be a good game

After we beat them it will be fun to read the same thing on their board as all the others. They will say they are not as good as they thought they were, start questioning coaching, give the new coach a few years to recruit his players, crap looks like another losing season, Suicide watch on speed dial for a few and even a few saying that the Bison are a good team.

They can keep underestimating and we will keep "over producing". Then we will move onto the next team. We will get to see what our O line is made of and answer some of the questions many of us have.

UncleBuck
09-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Every time the Bison play a FBS team, I like to look at their forum a week before the game. It's always the same. We're a FBS school. We have more scholarships. We have more depth. The Bison can't compete with a big school like us. This is a powderpuff game for us. Take your little FCS team and forget about having a chance. This is a sure win. The Bison program may be a good little program at your level, but you are playing the big boys now. Bison fans are delusional (well, maybe they can have that one.)

Hey, same post two minutes before mine!

I need to learn to type faster.

HandoEX
09-04-2012, 02:05 PM
That is my favorite part about being a Bison fan...Everyone else says we can't do what we are about to do.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 03:13 PM
This is why I love Dempsey. Been awhile since a non-conference opponents beat writer did a piece that pumped up NDSU and didnt get any facts wrong!

http://www.denverpost.com/csu/ci_21461871/csu-rams-wary-2011-fcs-national-champion-north

"You talk about a fundamentally sound outfit," McElwain said. "Defensively, they cause not necessarily schematic problems, but they play so darn hard and so precise — and they understand, and they believe."

Offensively, McElwain said the Bison resemble what CSU is trying to be and what some of his teams at other stops in the past have been. The wide receivers are young — only one returnee has caught more than 10 passes in a season. But quarterback Brock Jensen is a proven veteran. Add the return of running back Sam Ojuri, an 1,100-yard rusher a year ago, and its easy to see why McElwain might lose some sleep over the prospects of playing this team.

Luckily they gave the editor a chance to put an error in and they put in a great one. Under the picture of Bohl it reads
North Dakota State coach Craig Bohl, a former Nebraska Cornhusker, directed the Bison to a 14-1 record and the FBS national championship last season. Thanks for the post and link SamsRams.........

DePereBisonFan
09-04-2012, 03:24 PM
I'm surprised and impressed that CSU beat Colorado. It definitely makes me respect CSU more; I really didn't expect them to win the game. Initially I thought we would destroy them, now I'm thinking it will be a closer game especially since we both have a good defensive line.

KSBisonFan
09-04-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, I tried. I checked out their board and those are 5 minutes I'll never get back. Apparently CSU has the best O-line in their conference, we are the Fighting Sioux and NDSU doesn't have a D-I player past our starters. Wow......just wow! :facepalm:

HandoEX
09-04-2012, 03:45 PM
CSU has had 3 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons. They obviously know everything there is to know about success on the football field!

BisonNeil
09-04-2012, 03:46 PM
CSU has had 3 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons. They obviously know everything there is to know about success on the football field!

That would appear to be the very definition of consistency :D

ndsubison1
09-04-2012, 08:52 PM
how many bison fans should we expect?

Tatanka
09-04-2012, 08:54 PM
how many bison fans should we expect?Realistically? 3-4k. Optimistically? 5k.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 09:05 PM
Again for others that did not get it earlier in this thread here is the link to the CSU messageboard. Not only does the messageboard format suck, but so also most of their posters.
http://www.ramnation.com/message_board/athletics/

56BISON73
09-04-2012, 09:06 PM
Again for others that did not get it earlier in this thread here is the link to the CSU messageboard. Not only does the messageboard format suck, but so also most of their posters.

Yes the format is terrible. You really have to have a burning desire to read that crap.

SDbison
09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Realistically? 3-4k. Optimistically? 5k. There are some comments on the CSU messageboard, about 20 to 30 posts from current top, to the effect that NDSU sold all or most of section I and of course some NDSU fans would be scattered about. There should be hundreds of Bison fans in section H. CSU posters think we may have somewhere between 3000 and 5000 attending.

Tatanka
09-04-2012, 09:11 PM
There are some comments on the CSU messageboard, about 20 to 30 posts from current top, to the effect that NDSU sold all or most of section I and of course some NDSU fans would be scattered about. There should be hundreds of Bison fans in section H. CSU posters think we may have somewhere between 3000 and 5000 attending.

How can you tell? :rofl:

SDbison
09-04-2012, 09:17 PM
How can you tell? :rofl: Patience Grasshopper.............

ndsubison1
09-04-2012, 09:27 PM
that website sucks and the forum is really confusing and hard to read

SamsRams
09-05-2012, 12:58 AM
Grayson interview after practice today

http://www.coloradoan.com/VideoNetwork/1823125420001/Grayson-feels-Rams-could-have-played-better-against-CU&odyssey=mod|video

SamsRams
09-05-2012, 01:05 AM
McElwain Teleconference

http://www.themwc.com/sports/m-footbl/12-fbteleconference.html

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2012, 01:54 AM

I said it earlier and I'll say it again. CSU appears to have the most arrogant and ignorant fans in all of FBS. Total A-holes if you ask me. Of course it doesn't help that lakes has camped out there for the last 2 months.

Also, anyone else notice the sue homers on the CSU board trashing us? Those pricks will go anywhere to take a shot at us. No class whatsoever.

DjKyRo
09-05-2012, 02:00 AM
I said it earlier and I'll say it again. CSU appears to have the most arrogant and ignorant fans in all of FBS. Total A-holes if you ask me. Of course it doesn't help that lakes has camped out there for the last 2 months.

Also, anyone else notice the sue homers on the CSU board trashing us? Those pricks will go anywhere to take a shot at us. No class whatsoever.

Nowhere near as bad as the KU fans were. Most delusional bunch of self-aggrandizers I've ever seen. There were predictions of 70-point wins. Seventy.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2012, 02:07 AM

I would also like to welcome all the CSU fans to our board as long as you are respectful and courteous. Leave the insults on RAMNATION, please.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
09-05-2012, 02:09 AM
Nowhere near as bad as the KU fans were. Most delusional bunch of self-aggrandizers I've ever seen. There were predictions of 70-point wins. Seventy.

They may have been delusional but, I don't remember Jayhawk fans trashing us as bad CSU fans. Maybe my memory is a little foggy.

56BISON73
09-05-2012, 02:32 AM
They may have been delusional but, I don't remember Jayhawk fans trashing us as bad CSU fans. Maybe my memory is a little foggy.

Jayschmucks were Baaaaaad. Then I would have to go with Iowas State

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 03:42 AM
HELLO BISON FANS!!!

CSU fan here. I'm not here to troll. A few of you have come over to Ramnation, and not all of them have been pleasant. I will spout my smack and
ire on my home board. As for this board, I assure you I come in peace. I can't get all worked up about trolls on Ramnation, then act like one on someone elses board, can I?

Seriously, I signed up to get info. What kind of offense do you run? From what few highlights I've found it seems to have kind of a veer look to it.
Your O-line looks to be not only large, but pretty athletic. Again, I've only found highlights so I haven't seen any footage of when they didn't open a hole, duh. This frosh RB you have looks exciting, but in fairness so would an old mule against Robert Morris. Do you feel he really is that good? Honest question, not comparing him to a mule.

From what I've seen, you run a 4-3 with an emphasis on two deep. Since you have Stanard, I'm guessing you're a little heavy on the Tampa style D with the Mike dropping as a third safety in certain situations. I'm not a Stanard fan since his D's were crap when he was in The Fort, but it's been a while and he may have improved. I don't know.

Really, I've tried to find out more about the Bison (yes I call you the Fighting Sioux on Ramnation, it's my house and I can do that), but there is not a whole lot of info out there. Somebody throw me a breakdown, and feel free to ask anything about the RAMS. Like I said, I come in peace. I
know it's your board and will get a little bit of smack, and that's OK. I would however also appreciate a serious discussion regarding our two teams and the upcoming game. You folks do have the respect of our fanbase and especially our coaching staff.

Snowgoose
09-05-2012, 03:57 AM
Headbutt,

Thanks for coming on here. Our line is extremely athletic, but we are a little young as we had to replace two studs (one is on an NFL Practice Squad) and one current will probably have a good chance to make an NFL roster. Our defense does run the tampa as you might have thought. The defensive coordinator for the Seahawks was an assistant here forever and last years DCoordinator is now with USC as the linebackers coach. Coaches have realized if you come here there might be a big step upward.

As far as the 2nd string RB, his name is John Crockett and he is actually a first year sophomore. He was recruited by all of the Big Ten schools but couldn't academically make it so he came to NDSU on his own dime and got his grades good enough instead of going to a JUCO.

Also, I have been on your board and the common theme is that you will wear us down because we are not deep. I think you will find that the opposite is true. We have more players than you think that are backups that could easily start somewhere else. The five wins we have against FBS we wore down the other teams with our rushing attack. In two of our losses during 08/09 we had absolutely horrible QB play so people just loaded the box. Those were our down years.

I look forward to the game and will be trash talking my relatives in Colorado, but I feel like if we play our game it will be a 7 to 14 point victory for us. You may think this is complete nonsense as is noted on Ramnation and I hope you keep thinking this cause that has gotten everyone else in trouble.

DjKyRo
09-05-2012, 04:09 AM
Looking forward to playing your Buffaloes, Headbutt! Go State!

BisonNation11
09-05-2012, 04:11 AM
I will bite. I've never played football, never studied it, and frankly don't have the time to. However, I have noticed that the more I attend games and re-watch them, I find myself watching particular segments and break things down.

We are a run heavy offense, but aim to go 50/50 with the run pass. We like to run between the tackles because it's our bread and butter. We do it often, we do it well. Base everything off the run. We get that going, we can run play action. We have a 6'5" 310 FR lineman that can do a running front flip, so athletic would be the correct term. Crockett is and will be the real deal. He's shifty, quick, and has that extra gear. You can't arm tackle him and he has great vision.

4-3 defense is correct as well as trying to go two deep. Worked exceptionally well last year, but might not be able to do that as often as they would like to this year. Stanard just joined the system this year, so I'm not sure how much he has influenced the team yet. He's not coordinator either, so who knows how much of an influence he will have. The mike position is vital. They will drop him back in coverage, but plays the run amazingly well. Everyone is quick to the ball and great at tackling. You won't see many broken tackles (just trying to be honest). Watch out for Heagle #20 a safety on run support. The man is a beast. Watch our highlights of our Georgia Southern game from last years playoffs, and you will get a taste of what this D is really all about. We aren't flashy, we won't make huge hits that knock you off your feet (although we are more than capable). We will do what needs to be done to get the job done. The D is smart. We have great coaches that do their homework and prepare our team very well for any opponent, for any offense.

I don't know much of anything about your team other than they have struggled lately in the past few years. You won't find us using any excuses before, during, or after the game. We play hard, we play fast, and we play smart. Good luck to your team!

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 04:34 AM
Thanks Snowgoose,
I think most of us do think we will wear you down, but not because of any perceived lack of depth on your part. As you know, we have a new coach, and he brought in an unbelievable strength and conditioning staff. I honestly believe that we will be the best conditioned team you will face this season. Whether that will get us the win or not remains to be seen. I'm confident that we will win the fourth quarter, I'm just unsure about the first three.

Crockett looked exciting in the highlights, and it sounds like he's strong on character, good to hear. I did feel when watching the highlights that you guys could have used a tune up game against a team that teaches tackling though, that was ugly. If Crockett is #2, tell me about your starter please.

We do look like very similar teams, and our coach mentioned that NDSU is the offense that we want to be. Honestly, that is high praise from the OC in 2 of the last three FBS Nat. Champ games. He is a pretty straight shooter, so I think he meant that. On the other hand, we are not without talent. CSU has been a bit of a laughing stock as of late, and the bulk of that is due to coaching, not talent. The old staff could recruit, there is no question about that. They just couldn't teach the players how to perform on game day. Your coach is great at the latter skill, and our new staff seems to have the same knack.

We will punch it up the middle, all day long. If we can't punch it up the middle, we will keep trying to punch it up the middle. From what I can tell, Coach Mac is pretty fricken stubborn about punching it up the middle. You guys seem pretty stout against that, but in all fairness you are on the light side for stopping that on an all day basis. Then again, so are we and we shut down a CU team that thought they could shove it down our throats. I don't look for an exciting Oregon vs Mike Leach matchup when you guys show up to Hughes. More of an old fashioned football game the way it should be played.

As for your DB's. I've heard great things, but I doubt they'll get a chance to prove much. Grayson won't throw the ball to anybody not open by at least 10yds, and those are only underneath.

Here's where I'm going to throw out the disgusting conference smack. I'm not a fan whatsoever in claiming any team to be better just because of their conference affiliation, but sometimes there is some validity. I'll go out on a limb and claim that from a defensive perspective, the Mountain West Conference is a tougher defensive conference than the Missouri Valley Conference. I'll go out on a much, much more solid limb and claim that the CSU LB corps, as long as it stays healthy, is far and away the best LB corps in the MWC.

I think both team would prefer to play this one between the tackles, and I think both teams will be forced to do something different. You'll throw long, probably. We'll play around with screens and counters. This one should be fun.

Definitely will be a good game.

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 04:35 AM
Looking forward to playing your Buffaloes, Headbutt! Go State!

Well played! Could've hurt worse if you called us the Cowpokes though. :)

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 04:43 AM
I will bite. I've never played football, never studied it, and frankly don't have the time to. However, I have noticed that the more I attend games and re-watch them, I find myself watching particular segments and break things down.

We are a run heavy offense, but aim to go 50/50 with the run pass. We like to run between the tackles because it's our bread and butter. We do it often, we do it well. Base everything off the run. We get that going, we can run play action. We have a 6'5" 310 FR lineman that can do a running front flip, so athletic would be the correct term. Crockett is and will be the real deal. He's shifty, quick, and has that extra gear. You can't arm tackle him and he has great vision.

4-3 defense is correct as well as trying to go two deep. Worked exceptionally well last year, but might not be able to do that as often as they would like to this year. Stanard just joined the system this year, so I'm not sure how much he has influenced the team yet. He's not coordinator either, so who knows how much of an influence he will have. The mike position is vital. They will drop him back in coverage, but plays the run amazingly well. Everyone is quick to the ball and great at tackling. You won't see many broken tackles (just trying to be honest). Watch out for Heagle #20 a safety on run support. The man is a beast. Watch our highlights of our Georgia Southern game from last years playoffs, and you will get a taste of what this D is really all about. We aren't flashy, we won't make huge hits that knock you off your feet (although we are more than capable). We will do what needs to be done to get the job done. The D is smart. We have great coaches that do their homework and prepare our team very well for any opponent, for any offense.

I don't know much of anything about your team other than they have struggled lately in the past few years. You won't find us using any excuses before, during, or after the game. We play hard, we play fast, and we play smart. Good luck to your team!

I appreciate the reply. I've heard of this Heagle dude, and am anxious to see him in person.

As for the mentality of the team you bring to town, I think we understand it pretty well. The only difference between a so called FBS "mid major" and a D1 FCS team is probably just the number of schollys. You guys have to have a chip on your shoulder all the time, so do we. I think there is more in common with these teams than there is a difference. Excepting of course, you guys have a National Championship banner. Don't think that has gone unnoticed at the CSU athletic facilities.

Snowgoose
09-05-2012, 04:49 AM
Headbutt,

The way to beat us is to try and run it right down our throats as that is how we had our only loss last year. Our linebackers are lighter in weight than we have had in sometime, but are very good. Our noseguard is very good (was out for our only loss last year) and his running mate the dtackle Leavon Perry (276#) was an athletic QB high school and is also very good.

The starting RB is Sam Ojuri and he is very good as well, but honestly if Crockett is what we think he is Crockett could be starting by the end of the year. Actually we are so deep at that position that a former KSU runningback recruit (received a scholarship there but broke his ankle right away I believe) is currently our fifth back.

Your HC has a mutual game with us last year as Alabama played Georgia Southern and so did we in the playoffs. We actually handled GSU better than Alabama did so that makes us the FBS champion as well since the FBS champion is based on opinion not play on the field :). In all seriousness that game showed how great we are as fundamental tacklers and our strong safety dominated that game with a broken hand and he was a sophomore last year.

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 05:10 AM
Headbutt,

The way to beat us is to try and run it right down our throats as that is how we had our only loss last year. Our linebackers are lighter in weight than we have had in sometime, but are very good. Our noseguard is very good (was out for our only loss last year) and his running mate the dtackle Leavon Perry (276#) was an athletic QB high school and is also very good.

The starting RB is Sam Ojuri and he is very good as well, but honestly if Crockett is what we think he is Crockett could be starting by the end of the year. Actually we are so deep at that position that a former KSU runningback recruit (received a scholarship there but broke his ankle right away I believe) is currently our fifth back.

Your HC has a mutual game with us last year as Alabama played Georgia Southern and so did we in the playoffs. We actually handled GSU better than Alabama did so that makes us the FBS champion as well since the FBS champion is based on opinion not play on the field :). In all seriousness that game showed how great we are as fundamental tacklers and our strong safety dominated that game with a broken hand and he was a sophomore last year.

First of all your sacrilegious comment regarding the FBS champion being a matter of opinion fell on smiling ears, if that is physically possible outside of Mississippi,etc.

Secondly, If the way to beat SDSU is truly up the middle then hallelujiah! That is where Coach Mac wants to make his living, and without meaning to brag, we do actually have one of the best centers in NCAA, and our guards don't suck. Somehow, I don't think it will be that easy. One thing about your middle, you're kind of small. Actually so are we, but we will bring a rotation of 300#'ers at the NT. Small ain't always bad, as Sonny Lubick used to make a pretty good living with lighter but more athletic D-linemen. I'm guessing Coach Bohl has figured that out as well.

I mean this as a compliment, even though it may not sound like it. One thing you learn to do at the FCS level, if you want to be successful is to acquire an ability to do more with less. At FBS, it seems like a lot of schools do less with more. That is why you are dangerous, but I will remind you that we have a long history as an underdog, and our HC seems most proud of his days at Washington State and not Alabamy. While I am predicting a CSU victory on Saturday, I am really looking forward to what will later be remembered as an all out dogfight. Real football, not the SEC/ESPN variety.

SamsRams
09-05-2012, 05:18 AM
Secondly, If the way to beat SDSU is truly up the middle then hallelujiah!

I was gonna give you a nice breakdown, compliment you on your team and how they play team D and welcome you to the board. Now I just wanna punch you in your throat

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 05:24 AM
I was gonna give you a nice breakdown, compliment you on your team and how they play team D and welcome you to the board. Now I just wanna punch you in your throat

Wow, major slip on my part. Too many years in conference with the Sad Diego State Spaz. My apologies. And easy on the throat please, that's where the wife is always punching me. Be a real man and hit me in my ample midsection.

Still interested in your breakdown.

Who are "Sams Rams", serious question.

ndsubison1
09-05-2012, 05:54 AM
Thanks Snowgoose,
I think most of us do think we will wear you down, but not because of any perceived lack of depth on your part. As you know, we have a new coach, and he brought in an unbelievable strength and conditioning staff. I honestly believe that we will be the best conditioned team you will face this season. Whether that will get us the win or not remains to be seen. I'm confident that we will win the fourth quarter, I'm just unsure about the first three.

Crockett looked exciting in the highlights, and it sounds like he's strong on character, good to hear. I did feel when watching the highlights that you guys could have used a tune up game against a team that teaches tackling though, that was ugly. If Crockett is #2, tell me about your starter please.

We do look like very similar teams, and our coach mentioned that NDSU is the offense that we want to be. Honestly, that is high praise from the OC in 2 of the last three FBS Nat. Champ games. He is a pretty straight shooter, so I think he meant that. On the other hand, we are not without talent. CSU has been a bit of a laughing stock as of late, and the bulk of that is due to coaching, not talent. The old staff could recruit, there is no question about that. They just couldn't teach the players how to perform on game day. Your coach is great at the latter skill, and our new staff seems to have the same knack.

We will punch it up the middle, all day long. If we can't punch it up the middle, we will keep trying to punch it up the middle. From what I can tell, Coach Mac is pretty fricken stubborn about punching it up the middle. You guys seem pretty stout against that, but in all fairness you are on the light side for stopping that on an all day basis. Then again, so are we and we shut down a CU team that thought they could shove it down our throats. I don't look for an exciting Oregon vs Mike Leach matchup when you guys show up to Hughes. More of an old fashioned football game the way it should be played.

As for your DB's. I've heard great things, but I doubt they'll get a chance to prove much. Grayson won't throw the ball to anybody not open by at least 10yds, and those are only underneath.

Here's where I'm going to throw out the disgusting conference smack. I'm not a fan whatsoever in claiming any team to be better just because of their conference affiliation, but sometimes there is some validity. I'll go out on a limb and claim that from a defensive perspective, the Mountain West Conference is a tougher defensive conference than the Missouri Valley Conference. I'll go out on a much, much more solid limb and claim that the CSU LB corps, as long as it stays healthy, is far and away the best LB corps in the MWC.

I think both team would prefer to play this one between the tackles, and I think both teams will be forced to do something different. You'll throw long, probably. We'll play around with screens and counters. This one should be fun.

Definitely will be a good game.

marcus williams will make his presence known on the field

BisonNation11
09-05-2012, 06:01 AM
We call our O-linemen "The Rams". You know, the big hog-mollys that will be pounding it down your throat for 4 full quarters! The Sam's part I'm unsure about, but would love to hear the story.

ndsubison1
09-05-2012, 06:09 AM
im just intrigued to see how our OL stacks up. yes they looked good against RMU but other than Turner, Gimmestad and Lund we are unproven there. it's the other two spots that i am unsure of. csu apparently likes to blitz. our backfield needs to pick that up, it's something that ojuri kind of struggled with last season. look for a lot of dump passes and screens this game to try and off set that. i think we try to pick their defense apart. heavy dosage of ojuri and crockett, short passes to vraa and our tight ends and then BOOM deep pass to set the tone. not at all concerned about our defense. CSUs offense struggled vs the Buffs. we dont give up many big plays. even if the offense struggles i think our defense wins it for us. expecting a defensive td in this one for us

NDSUBowler
09-05-2012, 06:16 AM
I appreciate the reply. I've heard of this Heagle dude, and am anxious to see him in person.

I'm bored tonight so I decided to see what I could dig up on Heagle. Made a few gifs of him from the Ga Southern semifinal game last year. He played with a club on his hand due to an injury but was an absolute beast and definitely the player of the game in my eyes. 15 tackles (9 solo) and a pass breakup against a VERY tough triple option running team that they claimed was unstoppable (and for most the season...that was correct...)

http://gifsoup.com/view3/4068922/heagle1-o.gif

http://gifsoup.com/view1/4068935/heagle2-o.gif

And here is one from the Minnesota game last year where his heads up allowed us to score the TD

http://gifsoup.com/view6/4068988/heagle3-o.gif

(my first attempt at GIFs!)

NDSUBowler
09-05-2012, 06:24 AM
We call our O-linemen "The Rams". You know, the big hog-mollys that will be pounding it down your throat for 4 full quarters! The Sam's part I'm unsure about, but would love to hear the story.
Sam's son (SamsRams) would gladly tell the full story on NDSU's old line coach but here is an article on him. (only one I could find I didn't have to pay for!)

http://www.njtamil.com/2011/10/29/unds-solum-ndsus-richard-are-last-rams-influenced-by-ex-coach-neis/

Headbutt
09-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Sam's son (SamsRams) would gladly tell the full story on NDSU's old line coach but here is an article on him. (only one I could find I didn't have to pay for!)

http://www.njtamil.com/2011/10/29/unds-solum-ndsus-richard-are-last-rams-influenced-by-ex-coach-neis/

Absolutely touched by that story. Thank you.

I've coached a lot of kids, and I know that when you are on the field with them nothing else matters other than making them better players and people. For Sam to be so remembered, he must have touched a whole lot of lives in a very special way.

My hat is off to Sam.

SamsRams
09-05-2012, 06:49 AM
Absolutely touched by that story. Thank you.

I've coached a lot of kids, and I know that when you are on the field with them nothing else matters other than making them better players and people. For Sam to be so remembered, he must have touched a whole lot of lives in a very special way.

My hat is off to Sam.

yeah my dad made a powerful impact in the Fargo Moorhead area. The field at Discovery High is named after him and as stated the Offensive Line's nickname the Rams was started by the Oline when he coached them under Jim Wacker in the 70's. You ever wanna hear a funny story, ask Simmers about it. he took over for my dad as O-Line coach and tried to talk the guys into changing the name to Pat's Pigs or Simmer's Sows and the seniors looked at him like he lost his mind. Really excited to bust out my new Sam's Rams jacket this weekend with the every popular KHCO acronym. Even though all his jackets have KHCO on it many old school players remember KTCO. If you want to know the meaning you will have to ask me in person, its not meant to be printed on the interwebs.

I am really excited for this game and jacked up to visit some Fort Collins hotspots!

b15on
09-06-2012, 12:58 AM
RB Chris Nwoke, who was listed as questionable earlier in the week, will not play

Nwoke out, Alexander to start against NDSU

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120905/SPORTS/309040047/Nwoke-out-Alexander-start-against-NDSU?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CSports

BadlandsBison
09-06-2012, 01:12 AM
RB Chris Nwoke, who was listed as questionable earlier in the week, will not play

Nwoke out, Alexander to start against NDSU

http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20120905/SPORTS/309040047/Nwoke-out-Alexander-start-against-NDSU?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Cimg%7CSports

That's a big development, he was the starter I think!

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 02:49 AM
That's a big development, he was the starter I think!

Yah, youbetcha, he was our starter. Sorry, couldn't resist. Probably the first time a visitor pulled that joke, eh?

Seriously, Nwoke is a beast when healthy but you could see in the CU game that he wasn't 100% yet from an ankle injury a few weeks ago. Now he's sprained the other ankle. We had our #3 back break his wrist a few weeks ago as well, so we are a little thin in that area. We'll be starting a RS Frosh, who will be backed up by a true frosh and a Jr. FB that was converted to TB about two weeks ago. The FB is money for 1 or 2 yds against a 5man "stop 'em" front, but isn't fast enough to get out of his own way if you need 6 or 7. He's got sweet hands though. The true frosh got 3 carries against CU and fumbled on the third one. He'll get another chance, but we'll see what happens.

We may be tossing the pig a little more than Coach Mac likes in this one. I know you guys have a solid D backfield (hell, you look solid all over) so that probably isn't Mac's preferred game plan. Our QB Garret Grayson takes a bit of heat as a passer because he had 2TD's and 6 INT's in his three outings as a true frosh last year. On the other hand, in his first start he threw for 248 yds against TCU. That is no small feat, so I know the skill is there and I'm just wondering how much of it has been fine tuned and will be unleashed this early in the season.

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 03:03 AM
Just a heads up. If you guys want to know about the CSU football team, and what they expect from the Bison, click on the video of our head coach discussing the upcoming game. You may be used to FBS teams overlooking you, but if you watch the video you know that won't happen this Saturday. If the Bison win, it won't be for a lack of respect from their opponent. Watch the video, one of the best offensive minds in the country has some pretty high praise for your O.

Gully
09-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Headbutt, I like your coach. He obviously has the great experience to fall back on but he also has the personality to work well with the media, fans, etc. I can't wait to get to CO on Friday morning!

BadlandsBison
09-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Yah, youbetcha, he was our starter. Sorry, couldn't resist. Probably the first time a visitor pulled that joke, eh?

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/316/517/b48.png

BlueBisonRock
09-06-2012, 03:15 AM

Seriously, Nwoke is a beast when healthy but you could see in the CU game that he wasn't 100% yet from an ankle injury a few weeks ago. Now he's sprained the other ankle. We had our #3 back break his wrist a few weeks ago as well, so we are a little thin in that area. We'll be starting a RS Frosh, who will be backed up by a true frosh and a Jr. FB that was converted to TB about two weeks ago. The FB is money for 1 or 2 yds against a 5man "stop 'em" front, but isn't fast enough to get out of his own way if you need 6 or 7. He's got sweet hands though. The true frosh got 3 carries against CU and fumbled on the third one. He'll get another chance, but we'll see what happens.

We may be tossing the pig a little more than Coach Mac likes in this one. I know you guys have a solid D backfield (hell, you look solid all over) so that probably isn't Mac's preferred game plan. Our QB Garret Grayson takes a bit of heat as a passer because he had 2TD's and 6 INT's in his three outings as a true frosh last year. On the other hand, in his first start he threw for 248 yds against TCU. That is no small feat, so I know the skill is there and I'm just wondering how much of it has been fine tuned and will be unleashed this early in the season.

Yah, sure. That last un though. He landed in the chipper. Ya know, that was an interesting day.

BisoninNWMN
09-06-2012, 03:15 AM
Just a heads up. If you guys want to know about the CSU football team, and what they expect from the Bison, click on the video of our head coach discussing the upcoming game. You may be used to FBS teams overlooking you, but if you watch the video you know that won't happen this Saturday. If the Bison win, it won't be for a lack of respect from their opponent. Watch the video, one of the best offensive minds in the country has some pretty high praise for your O.

McElwain sounds like a good guy, but he didn't say anything that any other coach wouldn't say.

Most FBS teams say they don't overlook FCS teams but they all do.

It will be an interesting game.

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 03:21 AM
http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/316/517/b48.png

Only because you're into "discount humor".

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 03:24 AM
Yah, sure. That last un though. He landed in the chipper. Ya know, that was an interesting day.

I'm quite familiar with Fargo manufactured chippers. There's more to that than a movie.

KilldeerBison
09-06-2012, 03:29 AM

Nice one, ya f***ing Hoser!!

CAS4127
09-06-2012, 03:35 AM
This may very well be one of the best threads in BV opponent history--very well articulated on both sides. I will add this. If CSU's coach has done his homework, he has not prepared CSU from our RMU game; rather, he has not only watched and showed his players some of our playoff games--assuming he is a workaholic coach. If he has, then some of our bigger hitting plays (paranoid so not gonna tee them up here) could get shut down, or at least won't be a surprise. If that is the case, this will be a tight game, and stamina coupled with desire will prevail.

Fundamentally, I am concerned about the ability of our oline and LB's being able to hang in there and perform in an end-of-game battle if it comes to that.

We have put somewhat of a new wrinkle in our offense by way of stretch/zone blocking running plays. CSU has seen that, but not from us, so the question for them is what comes out of play-action out of that look. I haven't seen it yet either, so cat is still in bag assuming there is something there.

On D, look for heavy safety run support with reliance on our corners for coverage until and if we can't handle things that way. If we can't, we resort to basic scheme and, if that doesn't work, blitz packages to follow in desperation.

I look for CSU challenge early our oline. If successful, we will have to bail from scouted/scripted plays based on down/distances tendencies and ad lib--I would not bet on us if that happens unless our D is stellar!!

Somewhat vague I know, but I swear coaches read thes forums!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 03:45 AM
This may very well be one of the best threads in BV opponent history--very well articulated on both sides. I will add this. If CSU's coach has done his homework, he has not prepared CSU from our RMU game; rather, he has not only watched and showed his players some of our playoff games--assuming he is a workaholic coach. If he has, then some of our bigger hitting plays (paranoid so not gonna tee them up here) could get shut down, or at least won't be a surprise. If that is the case, this will be a tight game, and stamina coupled with desire will prevail.

Fundamentally, I am concerned about the ability of our oline and LB's being able to hang in there and perform in an end-of-game battle if it comes to that.

We have put somewhat of a new wrinkle in our offense by way of stretch/zone blocking running plays. CSU has seen that, but not from us, so the question for them is what comes out of play-action out of that look. I haven't seen it yet either, so cat is still in bag assuming there is something there.

On D, look for heavy safety run support with reliance on our corners for coverage until and if we can't handle things that way. If we can't, we resort to basic scheme and, if that doesn't work, blitz packages to follow in desperation.

I look for CSU challenge early our oline. If successful, we will have to bail from scouted/scripted plays based on down/distances tendencies and ad lib--I would not bet on us if that happens unless our D is stellar!!

Somewhat vague I know, but I swear coaches read thes forums!!

Coach said, "If you want to understand a power running game, you look at Pat Hill and then these guys". Coach has Nat. Champ rings as Alabama O-coordinator from two of the last three years. I GUARANTEE that he has looked at a lot more than Bob Morris. It is rumored that he said in private several weeks ago that the CU game was actually the "tune-up", considering who we had to face next. He understands who NDSU is, and he has the RAMS attention regarding that subject. That doesn't get us a win by any stretch, we know that. I'm just making the guarantee that the RAMS will not overlook the Bison. Win or lose, the game will not be decided because the team went out on the town Friday night. That's our job!

CAS4127
09-06-2012, 04:02 AM
Coach said, "If you want to understand a power running game, you look at Pat Hill and then these guys". Coach has Nat. Champ rings as Alabama O-coordinator from two of the last three years. I GUARANTEE that he has looked at a lot more than Bob Morris. It is rumored that he said in private several weeks ago that the CU game was actually the "tune-up", considering who we had to face next. He understands who NDSU is, and he has the RAMS attention regarding that subject. That doesn't get us a win by any stretch, we know that. I'm just making the guarantee that the RAMS will not overlook the Bison. Win or lose, the game will not be decided because the team went out on the town Friday night. That's our job!

Well then, he has not only looked at film but has also talked with some of the opposing coaches we have faced. College, if not pro, coaches r a tight-not group. My bet is that he has talked to GSU coach and likely watched himself and showed team that game. If so, then the biggest offensive play we had has been run by your scout team. The question then is whether we have input the next level of that play and whether your team knows what it is.

I am already down for this game.

Headbutt
09-06-2012, 04:22 AM
Well then, he has not only looked at film but has also talked with some of the opposing coaches we have faced. College, if not pro, coaches r a tight-not group. My bet is that he has talked to GSU coach and likely watched himself and showed team that game. If so, then the biggest offensive play we had has been run by your scout team. The question then is whether we have input the next level of that play and whether your team knows what it is.

I am already down for this game.

I'm of course not privy to which play you are talking about, but I'm pretty comfortable making this prediction. The game on Saturday will not rest on NDSU taking any play, or it's variants to the next level. That doesn't to me look at all like your game. I'm sure there is something unexpected waiting for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't yield a score. However, I really think that this game will come down to basic football. Can CSU stop NDSU from grinding us in the middle? Can NDSU stop CSU from grinding you in the middle. There will be plenty of passes, and screens, and some outside running stuff, but I feel it will all come down to who can win the LOS between the tackles. We're less prepared for that on O than you are due to some injuries, but I think we'll hold our own.

Nothing in the world of football is better than a challenge between two teams to win the box on the LOS. Nothing! I really hope my RAMS have what I think they have to win that battle. Nothing but respect for the Bison in that battle, but while I think we've got the horses to prove we can do it too, we've yet to make it happen.

CAS4127
09-06-2012, 04:33 AM
The "game" u r describing is like our NC game against SHSU last January. We were not effective inside the tackles. We
won based on D, a fake punt followed by unexpected screen play and an interception return inside 5 yard line.

Now I am really pumped for this game because I love defensive battles!! Ah,
with some big hits of course.

DePereBisonFan
09-06-2012, 02:17 PM

I'm curious if we get the Marcus Williams that kept picking off passes in the regular season, or the Marcus Williams that kept dropping potential interceptions during the playoffs...that sequence in the JMU game was frustrating

heffray
09-06-2012, 03:28 PM
I'm of course not privy to which play you are talking about, but I'm pretty comfortable making this prediction. The game on Saturday will not rest on NDSU taking any play, or it's variants to the next level. That doesn't to me look at all like your game. I'm sure there is something unexpected waiting for us, and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't yield a score. However, I really think that this game will come down to basic football. Can CSU stop NDSU from grinding us in the middle? Can NDSU stop CSU from grinding you in the middle. There will be plenty of passes, and screens, and some outside running stuff, but I feel it will all come down to who can win the LOS between the tackles. We're less prepared for that on O than you are due to some injuries, but I think we'll hold our own.

Nothing in the world of football is better than a challenge between two teams to win the box on the LOS. Nothing! I really hope my RAMS have what I think they have to win that battle. Nothing but respect for the Bison in that battle, but while I think we've got the horses to prove we can do it too, we've yet to make it happen.

All I have to say is this: CSU had better estimate us!!!

JK, but in all seriousness, I think you're right that your coach obviously respects us, and he will try to make sure his team understands that we are not just another FCS team. One thing I have come to expect from our Bison is that they really love going on the road to an FBS opponent and playing the Spoiler. I really feel for FBS teams that elect to play the FCS, because it is basically a lose-lose. If you lose, you lose, if you win, well, you were suppose to, and you'll be judged by how much you won by.

Anyway, I just think that the Bison will always have a mental edge in these games, simply because as long as we are the "underdog," we will have more to play for. ("quotes" used because we have been favored against the FBS on occasion).

All that said, based on what I've seen against Colorado, it could be a close game. My prediction is that if we win the turnover battle we win by at least one score.

Thanks for your classy posts on our forum.

HerdBot
09-06-2012, 04:24 PM
wonder how tickets are selling? last year they drew 25k for the home opener vs Northern Colorado and that was coming off a win vs New Mexico. obviously the Colorado win will pump some people up. wonder how many fans we will bring?

Bison"FANatic"
09-07-2012, 02:30 PM
3-4
3-4
3-4

This is the biggest thing I see in this game. Can we handle the 3-4 this year without Richards at center?????????

I expect to see a half back pass on a outside run or something of the sort as I am sure their coach has watched a lot of tape and that play would have worked well the last two games of the playoffs last year against us as we had crazy good pursuit last year by the safeties and corners but it left receivers behind them open.

b15on
09-07-2012, 11:03 PM
Another really awesome GoBison.com Game Day Preview: Colorado State

http://www.gobison.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?id=1042633&db_oem_id=2400

CaBisonFan
09-08-2012, 03:35 AM
If we can control their pass rush with runs & short passes...then we have a good chance. This will be a ball-control game.

Bison"FANatic"
09-09-2012, 02:17 AM
You have to love reading the Rams message board. Same babble different year different team. Your just FCS, Your not big, you will be slower than us, You don't understand the altitude. Different verse same as the first, and second and third and fourth. Keep underestimating us. Should be a good game

After we beat them it will be fun to read the same thing on their board as all the others. They will say they are not as good as they thought they were, start questioning coaching, give the new coach a few years to recruit his players, crap looks like another losing season, Suicide watch on speed dial for a few and even a few saying that the Bison are a good team.

They can keep underestimating and we will keep "over producing". Then we will move onto the next team. We will get to see what our O line is made of and answer some of the questions many of us have.

And here it goes over on their board, same story different state this year.:biggrin:

DjKyRo
09-09-2012, 06:09 AM
And here it goes over on their board, same story different state this year.:biggrin:

It's like clockwork. Beautiful, predictable, orderly clockwork.

JMB
09-09-2012, 02:47 PM

The best board meltdown I have ever saw was Central Michigan. That board fell of the deep end after we beat them.