PDA

View Full Version : FCS victories over FBS opponents

DePereBisonFan
08-31-2012, 03:37 PM
McNeese St. (Southland) beats Middle Tennessee (Sun Belt), in front of 18,690 people, 27-21
Eastern Washington beats Idaho (WAC) in front of 11,136 people, 20-3

CAS4127
08-31-2012, 03:40 PM
McNeese St. (Southland) beats Middle Tennessee (Sun Belt), in front of 18,690 people, 27-21
Eastern Washington beats Idaho (WAC) in front of 11,136 people, 20-3

Is that the same Idaho det tey Und has lost to severely the last two years?! The Big Sky might just be a little to Big of a bite for them if that is the case!!

tcbison
08-31-2012, 05:28 PM
Is that the same Idaho det tey Und has lost to severely the last two years?! The Big Sky might just be a little to Big of a bite for them if that is the case!!

The box score showed Idaho 45- UND 0 two year ago but the Grand Forks Herald reported that UND went toe-to-toe with them. I believe one of the players said if we didn't keep shooting ourselves in the foot we would have won that game. Something to that effect anyway. Last year it was much closer Idaho 44 UND 14.

CAS4127
08-31-2012, 05:32 PM
The box score showed Idaho 45- UND 0 two year ago but the Grand Forks Herald reported that UND went toe-to-toe with them. I believe one of the players said if we didn't keep shooting ourselves in the foot we would have won that game. Something to that effect anyway. Last year it was much closer Idaho 44 UND 14.

WOW, so UND played with them both games, it was just a matter of them not scoring as many points, or did teh UND just run out of time rather than actually losing the games?!

roadwarrior
08-31-2012, 05:46 PM
WOW, so UND played with them both games, it was just a matter of them not scoring as many points, or did teh UND just run out of time rather than actually losing the games?!

UND thought there was a third period.

Bisonwinagn
08-31-2012, 05:52 PM
Both of these teams are likely to have good seasons and be playoff bound. The non conference games are vital to making the playoffs and teams seem to get extra credit for beating FBS schools. I'm finding myself torn between cheering for FCS wins or not considering these teams will get higher playoff seeds if tied with other teams.

PS. Can those of you who are so infatuated with UND please stop mentioning them on every single thread ever created on Bisonville????? It's extremely sickening and tiring to read your crap. If your not making a valid point then kindly STFU.

HandoEX
08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Both of these teams are likely to have good seasons and be playoff bound. The non conference games are vital to making the playoffs and teams seem to get extra credit for beating FBS schools. I'm finding myself torn between cheering for FCS wins or not considering these teams will get higher playoff seeds if tied with other teams.

PS. Can those of you who are so infatuated with UND please stop mentioning them on every single thread ever created on Bisonville????? It's extremely sickening and tiring to read your crap. If your not making a valid point then kindly STFU.
There have been 3 win FCS teams the last two seasons with early season victories over FBS schools (SUU and USD).

But the end of your post deserves +++ rep times a zillion. So sick of that crap too!

DePereBisonFan
08-31-2012, 07:56 PM
I was kinda surprised that Southern Utah didn't hang with Utah State at all.

EndZoneQB
08-31-2012, 08:07 PM
I was kinda surprised that Southern Utah didn't hang with Utah State at all.

They were just so defeated after suffering a loss to the GWFC champs last year...

heckler
08-31-2012, 10:08 PM

Shenanigans

CAS4127
08-31-2012, 10:44 PM
At Bisonw & Handio--get the fuck over it!! I'd say more, but don't want fistacuffs tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SamsRams
08-31-2012, 11:04 PM
At Bisonw & Handio--get the fuck over it!! I'd say more, but don't want fistacuffs tomorrow.

CAS you said get over it...........are you the pot or the kettle in this situation?

CAS4127
08-31-2012, 11:11 PM
Both-->next question!! :)

SlickVic
08-31-2012, 11:52 PM
Im wIth hando and b wagon just dumb to talk bout them we are the champs we move on come along dude

ndsubison1
09-01-2012, 03:37 AM

youre not very tough

CAS4127
09-01-2012, 03:48 AM
Never said I was my friend, ming. Go Bison!! See you guys tomorrow!!

CAS4127
09-01-2012, 03:51 AM
And Slic can kiss my ass--but I'll give you a hug tomorrow! Peace Brother!!

CAS4127
09-01-2012, 03:53 AM
And I'm sorry BV--that's not
Me--stress!!

CalBison97
09-01-2012, 04:48 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZG8KQJni8
Shenanigans

Did you just say "shenanigans"?

ndsubison1
09-01-2012, 04:56 AM
not fcs but stanford up 20-17 to san jose st right now. sjsu has the ball with 7 min left on their own 15

Twentysix
09-01-2012, 06:50 AM
Wagner (Yeah these guys http://www.gobison.com//pics11/640/WK/WKSTDOQUQKWJJJQ.20090920024209.jpg)

Just about iced Florida Atlantic. Wagner has something like 40 schollies and FAU has 85. Wagner is typically not a very good FCS team either.

7-3 Wagner lost. They lead all game until the 4th qtr. 14,510 watched this game.

ndsubison1
09-01-2012, 07:20 AM
wow that was ugly

DePereBisonFan
09-01-2012, 02:30 PM
Wagner (Yeah these guys http://www.gobison.com//pics11/640/WK/WKSTDOQUQKWJJJQ.20090920024209.jpg)

Just about iced Florida Atlantic. Wagner has something like 40 schollies and FAU has 85. Wagner is typically not a very good FCS team either.

7-3 Wagner lost. They lead all game until the 4th qtr. 14,510 watched this game.

It's ridiculous that even terrible FCS teams with half the amount of scholarships can hang in these games. Maybe FBS = FCS more than I realize. It's like K-State beating Eastern Kentucky 10-7 last year. What??

344Johnson
09-01-2012, 02:38 PM
It's ridiculous that even terrible FCS teams with half the amount of scholarships can hang in these games. Maybe FBS = FCS more than I realize. It's like K-State beating Eastern Kentucky 10-7 last year. What??

K-State was an anomoly(sp?) last season. Nothing special as far as talent, great coaching with the old man. Real pumped to go see what Manhattan has to offer.

KSBisonFan
09-01-2012, 02:50 PM
K-State was an anomoly(sp?) last season. Nothing special as far as talent, great coaching with the old man. Real pumped to go see what Manhattan has to offer.

They are in the middle of a huge stadium project right now. Great tailgating atmosphere and Aggieville has a ton of bars. They are playing Missouri State tonight and should roll. As if K-State needed incentive, the QB who transferred to Missouri State from Mizzou was talking trash on how much he dislikes Manhattan this week. :facepalm:

b15on
09-02-2012, 08:31 PM
So far.....

Youngstown State (31) beat Pittsburgh (17)
McNesse State (27) beat Middle Tennessee State (21)
Tennessee-Martin (20) beat Memphis (17)
Eastern Washington (20) beat Idaho (3)

Close FBS/FCS games.....

Northern Iowa (21) lost to Wisconsin (26)
Indiana State (17) lost to Indiana (24)
William & Mary (6) lost to Maryland (7)
Libery (17) lost to Wake Forest (20)
Wagner (3) lost to Florida Atlantic (7)

DePereBisonFan
09-08-2012, 07:16 PM
Illinois State up 24-14 over Eastern Michigan right now...are there any fans there at all?

DePereBisonFan
09-09-2012, 02:16 AM
...and NDSU over CSU, 22-7

DePereBisonFan
09-09-2012, 02:18 AM
Crazy. Sacramento State over Colorado, 30-28. 46,843 fans.

DePereBisonFan
09-09-2012, 02:19 AM
Illinois State 31, Eastern Michigan 14. They say 7,654 fans. I hardly believe that.

Twentysix
09-09-2012, 05:10 AM
NAU leads UNLV 17-14 by making a fieldgoal with 12 seconds remaining, UNLV has the ball 55 yds from an endzone with 2 seconds remaining.

NDSUstudent
09-09-2012, 05:22 AM
NAU won. Big day for the Big Sky today.

Twentysix
09-09-2012, 07:19 AM
NAU won. Big day for the Big Sky today.

They (BSC) are tied with the MVFC with 3 FBS scalps each.

Granted I put more weight in our 3 wins, but I am biased :p.

DePereBisonFan
09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
NAU leads UNLV 17-14 by making a fieldgoal with 12 seconds remaining, UNLV has the ball 55 yds from an endzone with 2 seconds remaining.

Wow. Big Sky and Missouri Valley are holding their own.

DePereBisonFan
09-16-2012, 01:26 AM
Final: Cal Poly 24, Wyoming 22

tjbison
09-16-2012, 01:27 AM
Final: Cal Poly 24, Wyoming 22

Good for cal poly, MWC is terrible this year

DePereBisonFan
10-01-2012, 01:16 PM
Stony Brook beats Army...

NDSUguy
10-01-2012, 07:27 PM
A few interesting stats:

FCS over FBS wins: 10

Of the current Top 25 in the sports network poll the record vs. FBS is as follows:

Wins vs. Auto-Qualifying BCS Conference Teams: 1-12
Wins vs. Non Auto-Qualifying Conference Teams: 7-3

7 of the current top 25 teams played no FBS games (Wofford, Harvard, Lehigh, Georgia Southern, Montanta State, Delaware, Old Dominion)
4 of the current top 25 teams played multiple FBS games (UNI, Towson, Stony Brook, Northern Arizona)
2 of the current top 25 teams have lost multiple FBS games (UNI, Towson)

Worst FCS vs. FBS Loss: Towson Loss to Kent State
Best FCS vs. FBS Win: Youngstown win over Pitt

DePereBisonFan
10-02-2012, 01:50 PM
A few interesting stats:

FCS over FBS wins: 10

Of the current Top 25 in the sports network poll the record vs. FBS is as follows:

Wins vs. Auto-Qualifying BCS Conference Teams: 1-12
Wins vs. Non Auto-Qualifying Conference Teams: 7-3

7 of the current top 25 teams played no FBS games (Wofford, Harvard, Lehigh, Georgia Southern, Montanta State, Delaware, Old Dominion)
4 of the current top 25 teams played multiple FBS games (UNI, Towson, Stony Brook, Northern Arizona)
2 of the current top 25 teams have lost multiple FBS games (UNI, Towson)

Worst FCS vs. FBS Loss: Towson Loss to Kent StateBest FCS vs. FBS Win: Youngstown win over Pitt

How did that even happen? Was Towson just way over confident going into that game? They played much better against LSU...

NDSUguy
10-02-2012, 01:58 PM
what i love about these won/loss records is that you can tell that there is becoming more and more parity between the upper-tier FCS and the non auto-qualifying bcs schools. The record is exceptional especially considering the scholorship differences.

When (not if) the big 5 or 6 conferences start their own organization and the FCS is left to join with the rest of the FBS it will be good to know that NDSU as well as other top tier FCS schools should be competitive IMMEDIATELY.

Gully
10-02-2012, 02:46 PM
what i love about these won/loss records is that you can tell that there is becoming more and more parity between the upper-tier FCS and the non auto-qualifying bcs schools. The record is exceptional especially considering the scholorship differences.

When (not if) the big 5 or 6 conferences start their own organization and the FCS is left to join with the rest of the FBS it will be good to know that NDSU as well as other top tier FCS schools should be competitive IMMEDIATELY.

I agree with this. One thing to consider, however, is will we have a harder time qualifying some of the kids we offer? Or is that a conference thing vs. a FCS/FBS thing?

Hammersmith
10-02-2012, 11:40 PM
I agree with this. One thing to consider, however, is will we have a harder time qualifying some of the kids we offer? Or is that a conference thing vs. a FCS/FBS thing?
DI is DI; the standards are the same. We just tend to be more able to give a student a year to get their academics in order once they get here. Most FBS programs(esp BCS programs) are under more pressure to win and need to have their players ready to go from day-1.

Also, some BCS schools have academic standards beyond the DI minimum(think Stanford). But that's on a school by school basis.

Gully
10-03-2012, 02:19 AM
DI is DI; the standards are the same. We just tend to be more able to give a student a year to get their academics in order once they get here. Most FBS programs(esp BCS programs) are under more pressure to win and need to have their players ready to go from day-1.

Also, some BCS schools have academic standards beyond the DI minimum(think Stanford). But that's on a school by school basis.

Thanks for the information. I did not know that. So the Gophers could have taken Williams and Crockett. Hmmm. Glad they didn't!

tcbison
10-03-2012, 06:03 PM

Does NDSU have an advantage because they can split up the scholarships? I have heard that FBS schools can't split scholarships but FCS teams can. Is that accurate?

tony
10-03-2012, 06:08 PM
Does NDSU have an advantage because they can split up the scholarships? I have heard that FBS schools can't split scholarships but FCS teams can. Is that accurate?

FCS programs can split the 63 scholarships among a maximum of 85 students.
FBS can give only 85 student scholarships too, it's just that they can make them all full scholarships.

So the FCS doesn't have an advantage.

EndZoneQB
10-03-2012, 06:13 PM

We have 63 scholarships to give 85 players, they get 85 scholarships to give 85 players. They CAN, just doesn't benefit them to do that...

Edit: Damnit tony, I apparently didn't refresh before posting lol

TAILG8R
10-03-2012, 06:36 PM
We have 63 scholarships to give 85 players, they get 85 scholarships to give 85 players. They CAN, just doesn't benefit them to do that...

Edit: Damnit tony, I apparently didn't refresh before posting lol

TWSS? - ten char

HandoEX
10-03-2012, 09:48 PM
NDSU has twice as manyFBS wins as any other MVFC team since 2000.

NDSU: 6 (Ball State '06, Central Michigan '07, Minnesota '07, Kansas '10, Minnesota '11, Colorado State '12)
YSU: 3 (Kent State '00, Florida Atlantic '02, Pitt '12)
WIU: 3 (Ball State '00, Northern Illinois '02, Eastern Michigan '03)
UNI: 2 (Ball State '02, Iowa State '07)
SIU: (Indiana '06, Northern Illinois '07)
Ill St: 1 (Eastern Michigan '12)
USD: 1 (Minnesota '10)
In St: 1 (Western Kentucky '11)
SDSU: 0
Mo St: 0

goldenshower
10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the information. I did not know that. So the Gophers could have taken Williams and Crockett. Hmmm. Glad they didn't!

neither would have qualified to get into the U.

IzzyFlexion
10-08-2012, 04:00 PM

CORRECT:

Neither have enough skill at sucking sh!t through a straw on a football field.

BlueBisonRock
10-08-2012, 04:02 PM

And that pleases me in so many ways!

Yes, I have a degree from the U, have a daughter who graduated from the U, and pay taxes in MN. I firmly believe the U is its own worst enemy both in athletics and in academics.

Bison"FANatic"
10-08-2012, 04:10 PM

Doesn't the U have so many "exceptions" they can give out for diversity, vets, athletics and so forth. Or are they a University that allows nobody in that doesn't meet the minimums.

BlueBisonRock
10-08-2012, 04:24 PM
Doesn't the U have so many "exceptions" they can give out for diversity, vets, athletics and so forth. Or are they a University that allows nobody in that doesn't meet the minimums.

They have the proverbial board up the rectum. I have been disappointed in them since they denied a very bright kid my daughter knew admission to their PhD program and took a Chinese student instead. His qualifications did get him into Iowa and he exceeded expectations there. They also denied admission to a former neighbor in MG. She was a B student and did wind up going to NDSU where she thrived (and her parents made sure we knew how much they appreciated SU!). The UofMN chooses to play the PC card and does not take care of the local or MN kids. And you know who pays the bill through taxes.

unbison
10-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Bbr u may wanna check ur thought process it seemed a lil portly to me

BlueBisonRock
10-08-2012, 04:49 PM
Bbr u may wanna check ur thought process it seemed a lil portly to me

I made an exception for this situation. Thought I have always believed that you take care of those who take care of you.

BisonNation11
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I made an exception for this situation. Thought I have always believed that you take care of those who take care of you.

So you don't bite the hand that feeds you? So that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time!

BlueBisonRock
10-08-2012, 08:43 PM
So you don't bite the hand that feeds you? So that's what I've been doing wrong this whole time!

So, No Soup for you!

I hope I am remembering the CAS Color Communicator scale correctly.

tony
10-08-2012, 08:47 PM
NDSU has twice as manyFBS wins as any other MVFC team since 2000.

Even more impressive since NDSU has only been playing FBS teams since 2006.

Gully
10-08-2012, 10:23 PM

What requirements specifically? That's what I was trying to figure out with my initial question.

HandoEX
10-09-2012, 03:53 AM
Minnesota should not be offering scholarships to kids that aren't eligible to play right away and neither of those two could be on a football team out of high school. I think if either was a top five in-state kid, they would explore it. Great for us, but I don't see BCS teams bringing in kids that can't play unless scholarship money isn't involved.

Couldn't find Crockett's ACT score on-line, but Marcus scored a 21 according to multiple recruiting sites, which is good enough to gain admission into some majors at Minnesota. He could have gotten in on that criteria depending on his GPA, which I couldn't find.