PDA

View Full Version : Will Crocket the "Rocket" and Sam Ojuri each have 1000 yards rushing?

BisonWonAA
08-27-2012, 02:32 PM
The biggest question still in my mind.... "are the Rams ready" to have a repeat of two 1000 yard rushers in one season????

Professor Chaos
08-27-2012, 02:54 PM
If they both have 15 games again this year to get there its possible. I'd say pretty it's pretty unlikely though. I'd gurantee at least one of them will do it.

Bison bison
08-27-2012, 02:55 PM
I'd put money down on crocket having more yards than ojuri.

Partially because of talent, mostly because it's tradition.

---I will never worry about talent at running back again.

reformedUNDfan
08-27-2012, 05:15 PM
depends on how many carries those further down the depth chart get and how long the season lasts.

BisonNeil
08-27-2012, 05:48 PM
depends on how many carries those further down the depth chart get and how long the season lasts.

I'd say it depends on how good the OL becomes. There are numerous questions to be answered, none of which will be known until MVFC play.

Can the OL become more physical? Richard and Cornick provided most of the physicality last year, and are replaced by Fr. Gimmestad, Lund and Turner need to step up their run blocking, IMO.

Can Lund handle big physical nosepegs without having someone bail him out like Richard did?

Can Turner and Haeg handle the pass rush off the edge in a 3-4 scheme when the tackles never know who is coming after them? Cornick did very well last year, Turner struggled in some games. Haeg is a rookie.

Can LaVoy come back and contribute? I love his physicality in the interior, and I was amazed how fluid he was when he pulled on Voitlander's fake punt in the NC game. I think the OL needs him to contribute somewhere.

Mr. Burgundy
08-27-2012, 06:17 PM
[QUOTE=NDB2;647224]I'd put money down on crocket having more yards than ojuri.

---I will never worry about talent at running back again.[/QUOTE

Interesting u are now a fan of #23........

heffray
08-27-2012, 06:21 PM
The biggest question still in my mind.... "are the Rams ready" to have a repeat of two 1000 yard rushers in one season????

I think that is probably the biggest question, the O-line. I don't think there is anyway to know. Any answer would be speculative, but I think they will both rush for 1000+, and that if they do, we'll be taking another trip to Frisco.

IBleedYellow
08-27-2012, 06:27 PM
How the Rams go, the offense follows. Run it down their throat!

THEsocalledfan
08-27-2012, 07:18 PM

In short, yes.

I had a good PM exchange with CAS on Bison weaknesses, and I think we both agree this is the biggest question mark. However, one thing that often gets over looked is that in recent years our line has struggled, it was a least partly due to not having a decent QB who could actually throw over 5 yards without a pick. (You know who I am talking about.) While you must be able to pass block, also, to make that work, a well balanced offense makes it WAY easier on the O line. NDSU always seems to find lineman who can play, so I will be shocked if these guys don't get it together within 3-4 games since Jensen is the QB. Key is for Jensen not to get hurt......

KSBisonFan
08-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Ojuri, Crocket, Tubbs, Lang, Jones, Dinwiddie, Brock, DJ and Sigers will all have over 1000 yards rushing by season's end.....

THEsocalledfan
08-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Ojuri, Crocket, Tubbs, Lang, Jones, Dinwiddie, Brock, DJ and Sigers will all have over 1000 yards rushing by season's end.....

Speaking of old Sigers, what ever happened to him? Wasn't it grades that did him in? He still around?

CaBisonFan
08-27-2012, 09:01 PM
Seeing how most defensive coordinators have acted like they were in our huddle the past few years, the line has done pretty well.

A little deception in calling plays would be really nice...but I'm not counting on it.

When I know what plays are coming almost 100% of the time...it's not good.

SlickVic
08-27-2012, 10:22 PM
In short, yes.

I had a good PM exchange with CAS on Bison weaknesses, and I think we both agree this is the biggest question mark. However, one thing that often gets over looked is that in recent years our line has struggled, it was a least partly due to not having a decent QB who could actually throw over 5 yards without a pick. (You know who I am talking about.) While you must be able to pass block, also, to make that work, a well balanced offense makes it WAY easier on the O line. NDSU always seems to find lineman who can play, so I will be shocked if these guys don't get it together within 3-4 games since Jensen is the QB. Key is for Jensen not to get hurt......

the keyis for jenson to find somebody to throw to or atleast make a d respect a deep ball...what are we returning besides smith 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 tds? lol all i heard that last 2 or so off seasons is zach vraa this zach vraa that so hopefully hes all hes been hyped up to be...i heard coop wahlo was killin it last spring but i have no idea and then they were talking about a true fresh from chicago starting so hopefully hes something...ive seen this story before you can have all the run game you want but when it starts to be tough sledding and teams dont respect your pass game it can and will get ugly againt decent teams...with that defense tho well be in every game for sure all im sayin is if teams start feeling comfortable stacking that box this season itll be interesting i dont care how good u think crockett is if a team wants to dedicate 8 9 guys to go get him with no consequences theyll do that all day

bisonmike2
08-27-2012, 11:06 PM
yes. next question.

CAS4127
08-27-2012, 11:36 PM
Slic's got it correcto mundo dudes, use need to put an "ear"/eye to that Bejou/Mahnomen vernak or go crib dudes!! Just a sayin' is what I'm sayin'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BisoninNWMN
08-27-2012, 11:47 PM
One of them will definitely reach 1K.....maybe both if we go deep into the playoffs.

BisonNeil
08-28-2012, 12:04 AM
the keyis for jenson to find somebody to throw to or atleast make a d respect a deep ball...what are we returning besides smith 0 receptions for 0 yards and 0 tds? lol all i heard that last 2 or so off seasons is zach vraa this zach vraa that so hopefully hes all hes been hyped up to be...i heard coop wahlo was killin it last spring but i have no idea and then they were talking about a true fresh from chicago starting so hopefully hes something...ive seen this story before you can have all the run game you want but when it starts to be tough sledding and teams dont respect your pass game it can and will get ugly againt decent teams...with that defense tho well be in every game for sure all im sayin is if teams start feeling comfortable stacking that box this season itll be interesting i dont care how good u think crockett is if a team wants to dedicate 8 9 guys to go get him with no consequences theyll do that all day

Really?

So, when M&M boys were the QBs in 2009, did you think the Bison had an effective passing game?

Paschall led the FCS in rushing, with just under 1400 yds. I know what your saying, but I don't think the measly passing game in 09 that produced only 180 yds/gm was respected by anybody and as I recall the opposing defenses stacked the box all season, but NDSU still ran for 220 yds per game.

And for the record, the national champions this past year ran for only 173 yds per game. Defenses must not have respected the 2011 Bison passing game? What do you think Slick? Probably not since the Bison only averaged 173 yds/gm passing last year.

The bottom line is this for me. The 2011 offense sucked, plain and simple. Blame who you want, but I blame Vigen. A pair of solid RBs, best QB in years, a very good WR in Holloway, and the offense regressed. Why 14-1 vs 3-8? Because defenses win championships and the 2009 defense stunk. But the 2009 offense gained yards on the ground despite miserable QB play. My guess it may be possible this year as well, even if they do have a marginal passing game, if the OL shows up and develops.

CAS4127
08-28-2012, 12:28 AM
Well, Niel, that about sums it up. Put a team together, as in both a D & O and special teams. Our NC will last year will go down in hx as a D NC. Check out 86,
88 and 90 and see how those went down. That's what I want to see, but maybe my expectations r too high--who knows?!??

SlickVic
08-28-2012, 12:45 AM
Really?

So, when M&M boys were the QBs in 2009, did you think the Bison had an effective passing game?

Paschall led the FCS in rushing, with just under 1400 yds. I know what your saying, but I don't think the measly passing game in 09 that produced only 180 yds/gm was respected by anybody and as I recall the opposing defenses stacked the box all season, but NDSU still ran for 220 yds per game.

And for the record, the national champions this past year ran for only 173 yds per game. Defenses must not have respected the 2011 Bison passing game? What do you think Slick? Probably not since the Bison only averaged 173 yds/gm passing last year.

The bottom line is this for me. The 2011 offense sucked, plain and simple. Blame who you want, but I blame Vigen. A pair of solid RBs, best QB in years, a very good WR in Holloway, and the offense regressed. Why 14-1 vs 3-8? Because defenses win championships and the 2009 defense stunk. But the 2009 offense gained yards on the ground despite miserable QB play. My guess it may be possible this year as well, even if they do have a marginal passing game, if the OL shows up and develops.

stats have nothing to do with it defenses had to respect the 2011 bison passing game because when we had warren out there if he wasnt accounted for at all times bad things happened...that dude will be missed no doubt about it he was our mvp last year... and as far as that pat paschall year yea he coulda ran for 3k yards for all i care what good does that do you in 3rd and long situations or late game comeback specials? throw out all the stats you want that team sucked blame the "m&m" boys all you want but who were they supposed to throw to shamen effin washington?...just sticking out random stats is stupid whats navy run for 400 yards a game what do you think neil? ndsu needs 2 receivers they can count on in this offense to make it click...can we simply power over teams with that run game and defense alone yea absolutley at this level with this team i think we could run the ball all game every game and have a winning record but you get in a tough spot a couple bad bounces and your down 10-14 pts you need a passing its pretty plain and simple...take your stats and shove it there ant no way this teams repeating without the emeragence of a another weapon at wide out

ndsubison1
08-28-2012, 02:18 AM
I'd put money down on crocket having more yards than ojuri.

---I will never worry about talent at running back again.

i wouldnt. ojuri is our feature back. with last years line i would say ojuri would get over 2000 yards, not so sure with this years line cuz of all the question marks

BisonNation11
08-28-2012, 02:43 AM
i wouldnt. ojuri is our feature back. with last years line i would say ojuri would get over 2000 yards, not so sure with this years line cuz of all the question marks

Ojuri out rushed McNorton 1137-1060 on 10 less carries in 15 games compared to DJ's 14 games. They split time all season. DJ was just in more on passing situations. Let's say you cut DJ's attempts in half and give them to Ojuri, he still on average only gains another 600 yards. No one, for the foreseeable future will come close to 2000 yards in a season. We rely heavily on a 2-3 back system to wear down defenses so when the 4th quarter comes, our backs still have the strength and speed to outperform the D. Plus, on average, our yards per game was the 2nd lowest since 2003...

SlickVic
08-28-2012, 02:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHegnQ3LOhE

ill never forget that lj for 2k...u see his mom me and my uncle talked to her and his sister for probably 2 hrs at the airport in lincoln and i took a picture with lj sr outside bevear stadium when they beat ohio state in 05 i told him tamba hali gonna be a pro bowler and he said dats right dats right

ndsubison1
08-28-2012, 03:11 AM
Ojuri out rushed McNorton 1137-1060 on 10 less carries in 15 games compared to DJ's 14 games. They split time all season. DJ was just in more on passing situations. Let's say you cut DJ's attempts in half and give them to Ojuri, he still on average only gains another 600 yards. No one, for the foreseeable future will come close to 2000 yards in a season. We rely heavily on a 2-3 back system to wear down defenses so when the 4th quarter comes, our backs still have the strength and speed to outperform the D. Plus, on average, our yards per game was the 2nd lowest since 2003...

ok thats a stretch but in 15 games its possible, but crockett will see a lot of carries

SlickVic
08-28-2012, 03:51 AM
ok thats a stretch but in 15 games its possible, but crockett will see a lot of carries

check these high lights ming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISCuOaRYwGs how u like that bad boy favorite running back of all time when dick vermial told him to take his diaper off larry said dick vermial needs to put a diaper on lol that was great...2k rushing yards is a huge accomplishment i doubt theres been more than 15 backs in history to reach that mark i dont care how many games u play...and as far as all this crockett is god talk ill wait and see i dont think theres anybody on this board whos ever actually seen him in any kind of meaningful action and the way bohls been talking about him i wonder if he ant doing that to motivate ojuri more...ojuris a worker his yards after contact its on real how that fool fights for extra yardage id put money on it if ojuri stays healthy and outa his car for the season theres no way crockett gets more carries or yards ojuris gotta be a top 20 rb in c football

ndsubison1
08-28-2012, 06:11 AM
check these high lights ming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISCuOaRYwGs how u like that bad boy favorite running back of all time when dick vermial told him to take his diaper off larry said dick vermial needs to put a diaper on lol that was great...2k rushing yards is a huge accomplishment i doubt theres been more than 15 backs in history to reach that mark i dont care how many games u play...and as far as all this crockett is god talk ill wait and see i dont think theres anybody on this board whos ever actually seen him in any kind of meaningful action and the way bohls been talking about him i wonder if he ant doing that to motivate ojuri more...ojuris a worker his yards after contact its on real how that fool fights for extra yardage id put money on it if ojuri stays healthy and outa his car for the season theres no way crockett gets more carries or yards ojuris gotta be a top 20 rb in c football

haha. lj was amazing at psu. and thats a fair point. crockett hasnt played football in awhile but i think he'll be our number two guy and will likely get a fair amount of carries. but yes, ojuri is our guy and i think hes going to have a hell of a season. i just hope our OL doesnt disappoint

Gully
08-28-2012, 01:23 PM
Well, Niel, that about sums it up. Put a team together, as in both a D & O and special teams. Our NC will last year will go down in hx as a D NC. Check out 86,
88 and 90 and see how those went down. That's what I want to see, but maybe my expectations r too high--who knows?!??

that would be great, but it's unlikely we'll dominate like that in this day and age. how many teams were fully funded back then? maybe by 1990 there was more scholarship parity, but I'm guessing we were throwing more schollies around than most teams in the 80s. It's the old Xs and Os vs. Jimmies and Joe's argument. We could be very vanilla back then and take few chances because we had superior athletes almost every game. Now everyone has great athletes, granted our depth of defense is very special.

I don't know if this is true, but I've heard it said that we always went on one back in the day because we didn't think we needed to keep them off balance and would rather just keep it simple. Just a silly little example of my point about vanilla strategy when you have superior athletes. Why take any chances if you're going to beat them anyway?

SDbison
08-28-2012, 01:47 PM
check these high lights ming http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISCuOaRYwGs how u like that bad boy favorite running back of all time when dick vermial told him to take his diaper off larry said dick vermial needs to put a diaper on lol that was great...2k rushing yards is a huge accomplishment i doubt theres been more than 15 backs in history to reach that mark i dont care how many games u play...and as far as all this crockett is god talk ill wait and see i dont think theres anybody on this board whos ever actually seen him in any kind of meaningful action and the way bohls been talking about him i wonder if he ant doing that to motivate ojuri more...ojuris a worker his yards after contact its on real how that fool fights for extra yardage id put money on it if ojuri stays healthy and outa his car for the season theres no way crockett gets more carries or yards ojuris gotta be a top 20 rb in c football Thats one fine analysis slick! About fell off my chair laughin........"if ojuri stays healthy and outa his car for the season"...........lol

CAS4127
08-28-2012, 02:12 PM
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard it said that we always went on one back in the day because we didn't think we needed to keep them off balance and would rather just keep it simple. Just a silly little example of my point about vanilla strategy when you have superior athletes. Why take any chances if you're going to beat them anyway?

Ahh, we ran the option, Gully!!!