PDA

View Full Version : Esley Thorton to Defense

Jay
08-20-2012, 02:39 AM
Per Kolpack`s Twitter.... Confirm in the a.m.

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/237377299329187841

aces1180
08-20-2012, 02:39 AM

Just saw this...Great move if true.

b15on
08-20-2012, 02:42 AM
Thorton played safety along with QB at Bismarck High

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 02:43 AM

https://twitter.com/FGOSPORTSWRITER/status/237377299329187841

I kind of thought this could happen after we signed Wentz.

Professor Chaos
08-20-2012, 02:48 AM
Interesting, what was once a logjam at QB has now cleared out considerably if this is true. Derek McGinnis would technically be 3rd on the QB depth chart in this scenario. Although I'm sure they'd move Esley back if injuries got to the point where that would matter.

JustinTyem
08-20-2012, 02:48 AM
With E's size and quick feet,I bet he ends up as a Lb. (He can add 20lbs of weight easy)

southcliffbison
08-20-2012, 02:55 AM
I kind of thought this could happen after we signed Wentz.

Esley to the defensive side? Is this necessary? Where exactly would he fit in? Secondary? Linebacker ? What if, Lord forbid, Jensen goes down in the first game? It has happened........I trust the coaches decisions regarding position changes, but this is a "WOW" !!!!!!!!

aces1180
08-20-2012, 02:59 AM
Esley to the defensive side? Is this necessary? Where exactly would he fit in? Secondary? Linebacker ? What if, Lord forbid, Jensen goes down in the first game? It has happened........I trust the coaches decisions regarding position changes, but this is a "WOW" !!!!!!!!

My guess is Carson beat him out for #2...The coaches probably said, "Hey Esley, you are going to be the #3, would you like to get a lot more playing time? We just need you to move to the defense."

b15on
08-20-2012, 03:00 AM
Kolpack just said on Twitter "Evidence that Bison are solid team: when a backup QB moving spots is somewhat of a big issue."

I agree.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 03:00 AM

He played safty at BHS and if I remember correctly he won accolades in that position as well. Don't remember what they were exactly. Could have been leading tackler or defensive MVP or something along those lines.

No_Skill
08-20-2012, 03:03 AM
My money is on linebacker.

BadlandsBison
08-20-2012, 03:04 AM
He will be good on defense. Hope it works out for him!

coloradobison
08-20-2012, 03:05 AM
Esley is listed at 6'3" and 207lbs. Our Lb's are in the 200-225lb range, so he almost immediately fits in there if that is where they decide to move him.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 03:05 AM

I think so too. He is big enough and we are a little thin in the linebacking core.

JustinTyem
08-20-2012, 03:12 AM
https://twitter.com/CeeDud

Excited to welcome Esley Thorton to Code Green and a new bad ass persona.

Grizzled
08-20-2012, 03:28 AM
Not real suprising. We were the only school to recruit him as a quarterback. That is what he wanted, a shot to see the field as qb and thats what brought him here. Just didn't have what it took to pull it off. He'll make a terrific safety

herdmember
08-20-2012, 03:31 AM
New SAM linebacker per Dudzik twitter.

coloradobison
08-20-2012, 03:32 AM

Response to that says new Sam Linebacker.

IzzyFlexion
08-20-2012, 03:39 AM
Esley is listed at 6'3" and 207lbs. Our Lb's are in the 200-225lb range, so he almost immediately fits in there if that is where they decide to move him.

These measurables (plus 10 pounds) and a "bad ass" persona = textbook SS.

b15on
08-20-2012, 03:50 AM
Dom Izzo's Twitter

For those wondering why Thorton move made now: Remember Carson Wentz got high ankle sprain 2 weeks into spring ball, Esley had to stay at QB. Brock Jensen was still nursing turf toe, leaving Ryan Stanford to get reps, now true frosh Derek McGinnis in as number 3.

BisonNation11
08-20-2012, 04:10 AM
My buddy and I were just discussing this possibility of this happening yesterday while staining his deck. I am in the boat of this is a great move. Adding depth to defense, putting some security in the QB situation, and allowing 2 players (Esley and Carson) the ability to succeed at positions for the future. Esley will make a great defender no matter what position he will be at and Carson will be able to take the reigns of the team in 2 years when Brock is done. I see the '11, '12, and '13 years of NDSU football leaving a legacy none of us will ever forget! Go Bison!

DjKyRo
08-20-2012, 04:22 AM
Big props to Esley for having the stones to make the move. This benefits the team and that's a heck of a big gesture on his part to accept that.

Meanwhile, that rumble you just felt was 4m's head exploding.

BlueBisonRock
08-20-2012, 04:54 AM
Big props to Esley for having the stones to make the move. This benefits the team and that's a heck of a big gesture on his part to accept that.

Meanwhile, that rumble you just felt was 4m's head exploding.

My money says 4M is ok with this move and will loudly proclaim its merit!

ndsubison1
08-20-2012, 05:12 AM
Thorton played safety along with QB at Bismarck High

welcome to bisonville. :)

ndsubison1
08-20-2012, 05:14 AM

it means theyre comfortable with Wentz as no. 2 and probably think he is a slightly better option. esley only gives us more depth. assuming he will play safety or maybe LB since we need depth there

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 06:19 AM
Good move. I dont think this means Wentz is better. It just means they are similar and Brock is the man for 2 more years so it makes sense to have Wentz or McGinnis the starter for 2 or 3 years vs Thornton as 1 year. Esley is an incredible athlete. He apparently has the best vertical on the team. He could play linebacker or safety.

344Johnson
08-20-2012, 07:15 AM
With E's size and quick feet,I bet he ends up as a Lb. (He can add 20lbs of weight easy)

I'd like Es at safety. He was a boss at that back when we played high school. Regardless, I am pumped for him because he has a better shot at playing and he always seemed like a class act on the field.

CaBisonFan
08-20-2012, 11:24 AM
Good move. I dont think this means Wentz is better. It just means they are similar and Brock is the man for 2 more years so it makes sense to have Wentz or McGinnis the starter for 2 or 3 years vs Thornton as 1 year. Esley is an incredible athlete. He apparently has the best vertical on the team. He could play linebacker or safety.

Yup...think this is mostly about timing and getting yir best athletes on the field. Bingo gabe.

Let me add that if Esley is a really great athlete, maybe playing safety is his shot at playing professionally.

It's a long ways off and perhaps a long shot. Just a thought.

This all makes me think a little bit about Mertens. He was supposedly a really good athlete...qb wasn't really working out for him, but we didn't have options. He probably could have played very well somewhere else on the field. Not saying that Thorton and Mertens are similar athletes...but I can't help but wonder. To me it was like having a good starter in a baseball game who was getting beaten up, but the bullpen was empty, so he took one for the team.

Bisonwinagn
08-20-2012, 12:47 PM
it means theyre comfortable with Wentz as no. 2 and probably think he is a slightly better option. esley only gives us more depth. assuming he will play safety or maybe LB since we need depth there

The best news is Wentz must be a great QB to beat out someone who was a no. 2 all last year. I'm hoping Thorton contributes on defense, but knowing the QB sitution is solid is awesome!!

loudsilverado
08-20-2012, 12:50 PM
This is about getting your best athletes on the field imo. It's not like he's leaving the team, I'd imagine if we had an emergency at QB Bohl would make the right move again. He had some pretty big hits playing D in highschool, I bet he is ready to take out his frustration of sitting on the bench by de-cleating a few people. Can't wait to see it!

tony
08-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Can't wait to see Esley on the field - he's one of the best athletes on the team.

Jay
08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
Probably need to come up with some sort of nickname now with him and Beck on the same side of the ball. Best hair in all of FCS football.

Gotta say I'm really excited about this move. My brother and I have been talking about this position switch got two years.

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-20-2012, 01:42 PM
Beware of simple answers to complex problems..

Hammerhead
08-20-2012, 01:52 PM
It looks like he's not bad a punting either as noted in this blast from the past on a highly-reputable site: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?18360-Esley-Thorton/page4

Hammerhead
08-20-2012, 01:56 PM
Probably need to come up with some sort of nickname now with him and Beck on the same side of the ball. Best hair in all of FCS football.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww75/gjhammer/FCS%20Champs/101_0056.jpg

I'm sure he's willing to play any position for another moment like that.

EndZoneBison
08-20-2012, 02:22 PM
1956 Mane Attraction

Tatanka
08-20-2012, 02:24 PM
It looks like he's not bad a punting either as noted in this blast from the past on a highly-reputable site: http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?18360-Esley-Thorton/page4

:eek: Now THAT would be awesome.

BisonAccountant44
08-20-2012, 02:53 PM
Kolpack just tweeted that Esley is playing LB at practice this morning, and that he told the coaches he wanted to get on the field somehow.

aces1180
08-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Kolpack just tweeted that Esley is playing LB at practice this morning, and that he told the coaches he wanted to get on the field somehow.

Awesome...Great to hear!

b15on
08-20-2012, 03:34 PM
Kolpack: Thorton will also play special teams now that red QB jersey is off

Tatanka
08-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Kolpack: Thorton will also play special teams now that red QB jersey is offKeep the good news coming!

b15on
08-20-2012, 03:38 PM
Keep the good news coming!

Semi bad news...Sorry
Kolpack: It's doubtful Thorton will play much right away at LB, Tampa 2 pretty complex system to grasp

Tatanka
08-20-2012, 03:56 PM
Semi bad news...Sorry
Kolpack: It's doubtful Thorton will play much right away at LB, Tampa 2 pretty complex system to graspThis is expected. However, I would hope to see him on special teams in a quicker timeframe.

Mr. Burgundy
08-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Semi bad news...Sorry
Kolpack: It's doubtful Thorton will play much right away at LB, Tampa 2 pretty complex system to grasp

Which is one of the reasons I have "guessed" he would be that tall receiver we have wanted for a while. He masters our offense, he is plenty big, and has good hands. I agree this move is solid, just expected him to be a tall possession receiver first.

THEsocalledfan
08-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Just didn't have what it took to pull it off.

Since 4M has vanished, and I like to argue with basically anyone, I was a bit mystified with this comment. He never really got a chance to play in live game situations and as others pointed out, if it was a wash, it makes much more sense to go with Wentz due to the eligibility issue. Thorton may have been a star if he had a chance. In reality, we will never know. If you think back, it is even likely the coaches thought he would be a starter when they signed him. (would think this was during Merten's senior year when Jensen was redshirting; they did not have much at the time) They basically got really lucky Brock turned out to be as good as he was, but created a very tough situation for Thorton. The reality was Brock played well enough that freshman year, it would have been very tough to change horses.....

KilldeerBison
08-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Which is one of the reasons I have "guessed" he would be that tall receiver we have wanted for a while. He masters our offense, he is plenty big, and has good hands. I agree this move is solid, just expected him to be a tall possession receiver first.

Sounds like good qualities to have on defense, especially passing downs! Thorton Pick 6!

TAILG8R
08-20-2012, 04:16 PM
Since 4M has vanished, and I like to argue with basically anyone, I was a bit mystified with this comment. He never really got a chance to play in live game situations and as others pointed out, if it was a wash, it makes much more sense to go with Wentz due to the eligibility issue. Thorton may have been a star if he had a chance. In reality, we will never know. If you think back, it is even likely the coaches thought he would be a starter when they signed him. (would think this was during Merten's senior year when Jensen was redshirting; they did not have much at the time) They basically got really lucky Brock turned out to be as good as he was, but created a very tough situation for Thorton. The reality was Brock played well enough that freshman year, it would have been very tough to change horses.....

Also remember that if you are going to move one of the two, Wentz or Thorton, you would move the guy that has the most potential excelling at another position. One could assume Thorton's experience on the other side of the ball and Wentz being a year younger were fairly large factors.

CAS4127
08-20-2012, 04:17 PM
There have been many Bison recruits over the years who were brought in on the offensive side, and then moved to defense, and who flourished. NDSU's MO--get your best players/athletes on the field. He seems a bit light for his height as an LB, but if he can put on 10-20 pounds this year he will likely be just fine. Whether he has an LB mentality is the question, but I guess we will see. Hope he does . . .

NorthernBison
08-20-2012, 04:21 PM

That's pretty much what happened. Brock played very well in the season where Thorton was a redshirt and there was ZERO chance that Bohl was going to pull the redshirt. From that point on, Brock owns the job and did nothing but make plays. Nobody unseats a QB who completes nearly 70% of his passes and is the offensive threat running the ball that Brock is.

Bottom line here is that Esley wants to PLAY. He's been a star athlete in every sport he's played since forever and standing on the sidelines for the next TWO YEARS is not an option. I am not surprised that he wants to actively contribute and is willing to play where the coaches think he can best help the team.

TransAmBison
08-20-2012, 04:27 PM
There have been many Bison recruits over the years who were brought in on the offensive side, and then moved to defense, and who flourished. NDSU's MO--get your best players/athletes on the field. He seems a bit light for his height as an LB, but if he can put on 10-20 pounds this year he will likely be just fine. Whether he has an LB mentality is the question, but I guess we will see. Hope he does . . .I agree, he's definitely too smart to play middle linebacker.*

*I believe that is what you meant.

b15on
08-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Kolpack: Thorton said he was treated fairly by NDSU coaches, stayed true to recruiting word of giving him chance at QB.

344Johnson
08-20-2012, 04:31 PM
This is great news. I am really excited to see him dishing out hits. Hardest hit I ever recieved came after an interception in 8th grade. Es didn't want me to do that. If I had known he was going to do that, i'd have let him complete the pass.

Bison Dan
08-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Which is one of the reasons I have "guessed" he would be that tall receiver we have wanted for a while. He masters our offense, he is plenty big, and has good hands. I agree this move is solid, just expected him to be a tall possession receiver first.Tells me that our receiving core is doing well.

dragonsfan
08-20-2012, 04:33 PM
he should be just fine, it really shows that ndsu has 2 great qb's behind brock.

daddy daycare
08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Great athlete. Extremely competitive. Bottom line, he's a winner and will do what it takes to win. Time to shave his head and go badass on the bit.

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Ke

I think he would have been a good receiver. Bohl said he has a 38 inch vertical jump. With his athleticism he has the ability to play anywhere but I think this has more to do with balance at positions.

Qb- he would only start for 1 year
Wr- absolutely stacked for the next 2-4 years (3 in this class, okland, vraa, Gebheart, smith, wahlo)

Linebacker or strong safety makes sense. Sort of interchangeable too. We are solid at both spots but with injuries we may need him sooner than later and he can be eased into the position and contribute more late in the season. Plus he probably needs to add a little weight. Not much.

Excited to see what he can do. Have visions of Esley dropping back into coverage to cover the tight end and using his good height and 38" vertical to pick some passes off

devin45k
08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Thank god....now we dont have to hear everyone from the Bismarck area arguing that he should be starting over Jenson every other sentance.

GRAFTONBISON
08-20-2012, 04:56 PM
I think he would have been a good receiver. Bohl said he has a 38 inch vertical jump. With his athleticism he has the ability to play anywhere but I think this has more to do with balance at positions.

Wr- absolutely stacked for the next 4 years

Linebacker or strong safety makes sense. We are solid at both spots but with injuries we may need him sooner than later and he can be eased into the position and contribute more late in the season. Plus he probably needs to add a little weight. Not much.

Boy, I wish I had your confidence. I guess only time will tell.

THEsocalledfan
08-20-2012, 05:08 PM
Boy, I wish I had your confidence. I guess only time will tell.

Classic Gabe comment. Loves his unproven players....

BlueBisonRock
08-20-2012, 05:13 PM
I agree, he's definitely too smart to play middle linebacker.*

*I believe that is what you meant.

Dissing the middle? Tranny, you are demonstrating ignorance of the Mike position attitude and focus. Even if you are right, Mike will make you pay.

Now you need to watch your back 24 x 7 as there are a couple of Mikes hanging around. Just sayin'.

BTW, I believe your intended target actually was an OLB. They are the nice ones! ... ;)

CAS4127
08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Dissing the middle? Tranny, you are demonstrating ignorance of the Mike position attitude and focus. Even if you are right, Mike will make you pay.

Now you need to watch your back 24 x 7 as there are a couple of Mikes hanging around. Just sayin'.

BTW, I believe your intended target actually was an OLB. They are the nice ones! ... ;)

ISWYDT, and you are correct. I don't ever recall anyone accusing Tranny of being smart.

Back to topic: Is he gonna be an LB for sure, are is FS still a possible?

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 05:22 PM
Classic Gabe comment. Loves his unproven players....

I know they are unproven but anyone who has followed Bison Football can recognize that this years receiving class is amazing and the depth over the next few years is our best ever. Dee Gray was the 3rd best prospect in Illinois before the team went to a run run philosophy. And apparently he has a shot to play as a true frosh. The Warren kid from Kansas is in a similar class. And the craziest part is Carey Woods may be the best of the 3. Oakland is skilled. Ryan Smith is proven and has 2 years of starting left. Vraa won the starting role before getting injured and is currently listed as the starter and he may have a 6th year medical redshirt. Gebheart has playing experience. So does Wahlo. Thats assuming Moody or Dunn dont see the field. And Perkins apparently looks great... even if half these guys are busts were still sitting great. There are always a few busts but we have sheer numbers. At linebacker we're 2 injuries away from being borderline fucked. If you think Esley stands a chance to see the field at WR over these guys your nuts. (Actually I have no idea if you agree or not Im just giving you shit since your giving me shit)

devin45k
08-20-2012, 05:41 PM
Does Carson Wentz look better at QB in practice?

bri-dog
08-20-2012, 05:44 PM
I'm thinking Carson has overtaken Esley. I don't think Bohl would sacrifice a better 2nd string QB just to gain some depth on defense.

Just my opinion, though.

GRAFTONBISON
08-20-2012, 05:47 PM
I know they are unproven but anyone who has followed Bison Football can recognize that this years receiving class is amazing and the depth over the next few years is our best ever. Dee Gray was the 3rd best prospect in Illinois before the team went to a run run philosophy. And apparently he has a shot to play as a true frosh. The Warren kid from Kansas is in a similar class. And the craziest part is Carey Woods may be the best of the 3. Oakland is skilled. Ryan Smith is proven and has 2 years of starting left. Vraa won the starting role before getting injured and is currently listed as the starter and he may have a 6th year medical redshirt. Gebheart has playing experience. So does Wahlo. Thats assuming Moody or Dunn dont see the field. And Perkins apparently looks great... even if half these guys are busts were still sitting great. There are always a few busts but we have sheer numbers. If you think Esley stands a chance to see the field over these guys your nuts. (Actually I have no idea if you agree or not Im just giving you shit since your giving me shit)

There absolutely is a lot of potential at that position, but until some of them can stay healthy and/or prove it on game day, I will reserve judgement. There are a lot of "if's and may's" in the statement above.

CAS4127
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
Does Carson Wentz look better at QB in practice?

Compared to where, in the classroom?!

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 05:48 PM
I'm thinking Carson has overtaken Esley. I don't think Bohl would sacrifice a better 2nd string QB just to gain some depth on defense.

Just my opinion, though.

Probably a combination of the 2

heffray
08-20-2012, 05:49 PM

Code Green? Is that what we are going with? I thought "The Hurt" was way better...

Tatanka
08-20-2012, 05:50 PM
Actually I have no idea

This I can get on board with.

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 05:55 PM
There absolutely is a lot of potential at that position, but until some of them can stay healthy and/or prove it on game day, I will reserve judgement. There are a lot of "if's and may's" in the statement above.

I'm not disagreeing... I just think we have numbers and talent at receiver. At linebacker we have talent but some serious depth issues. I would think Esley has a better shot at making an impact over the next few years at linebacker.

THEsocalledfan
08-20-2012, 05:55 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Pretty sure last year, we were "stacked" at QB, and we are still not even stacked there now (even with the on topic news) when we only have one proven player who is one hit from going out.

GRAFTONBISON
08-20-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm not disagreeing... I just think we have numbers and talent at receiver. At linebacker we have talent but some serious depth issues. I would think Esley has a better shot at making an impact over the next few years at linebacker.

I can agree with this statement.

heffray
08-20-2012, 06:10 PM

First, I think 4m has traded his "Cru" in for a "loud silverado"...

Second, I agree with you. I remember the series' he played earlier in the season, I think he may have played the entire 4th Quarter in one of our early games. I thought, personally, that he showed a lot of promise, did pretty well, even though it was against a pretty poor opponent.

I think the other thing to consider here is that he was the No. 2 QB all of last year on a team that won the National Championship. He actually got a snap or 2 in the Championship game if you remember. My bet is that he is still probably better than a lot of the QBs in FCS out there, or at least would be given a good year of starting time.

What this decision comes down to is smart coaching and a player's hunger and ability to play football. Because of that, my confidence in this team has just gone up. Crazy how a little thing like this can do that.

Bison"FANatic"
08-20-2012, 06:53 PM

Just my opinion, though.

I totally agree with this.

Not a big surprise after hearing Bohl talk about Wentz ever since he was a Freshman and how he understood the position and in and outs and the whys of what he had to do in different situations. Carson just needed to prove that he had the physical attributes as Bohl has said at teammakers that he understood the decisions and intricacies of the QB position very well.

If I would have had money to put down this is how I would have placed it. Thorton is too athletic to keep off the field on D and special teams.

NorthernBison
08-20-2012, 07:02 PM
The way I see it is Thorton was going to be the backup QB for the next TWO YEARS and would see very limited playing time (unless Brock sustained a serious injury). He would only have a chance to play regularly for his Senior Season.

He had TWO realistic options:
1. Move to another position, remain a Bison, and help the team.
2. Transfer.

I think he made the right choice.

CaBisonFan
08-20-2012, 07:27 PM

I agree with your comments about our receiving corps. I doubt that we've ever been this loaded with outstanding athleticism and depth at wide receiver... and we have Ryan Smith returning as a proven performer. No Ryan last fall... no championship.

Agreed on yir Esley comment also.

Bison03
08-20-2012, 07:30 PM
This picture in the Forum reminded me that Esley did play 1 play in the championship game when Brock had to sit out a play from getting a helmet to to back and knee to the head. If I remember correctly, he just rand a qb draw for like 2 yards on a 3rd and long.

http://www.inforum.com/media/full/jpg/2012/08/20/thorton1.jpg

NorthernBison
08-20-2012, 07:32 PM
I agree with your comments about our receiving corps. I doubt that we've ever been this loaded with outstanding athleticism and depth at wide receiver... and we have Ryan Smith returning as a proven performer. No Ryan last fall... no championship.

Agreed on yir Esley comment also.

Did I read somewhere that he was nursing a hamstring injury? If true, that is very bad news and is likely a chronic problem.

b15on
08-20-2012, 07:36 PM
Did I read somewhere that he was nursing a hamstring injury? If true, that is very bad news and is likely a chronic problem.

Kolpack said earlier today on twitter, "Ryan Smith (hamstring) running sprints on sideline, looks close to returning. "

tcbison
08-20-2012, 07:38 PM
This picture in the Forum reminded me that Esley did play 1 play in the championship game when Brock had to sit out a play from getting a helmet to to back and knee to the head. If I remember correctly, he just rand a qb draw for like 2 yards on a 3rd and long.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205357530

I (http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=695&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205357530)t was 3rd and 16 and Thorton ran for 10 yards.

loudsilverado
08-20-2012, 07:39 PM
It's not fair for someone to say "he couldn't cut it at qb". He is a gifted athlete and can play more than 1 position. I'm fine with the move, he will be just fine. Who knew we would be this stacked at QB a few years ago that we could move the #2/#3 qb to another position?? Pretty crazy. Carson is going to be a stud, not worried at all having him back up Brock. Brock has proven himself to me no matter how much I cheer for the ND kids, he is the starter, and I hope he has a great and healthy season! Can't wait to see E lay the wood or get a pick 6, going to be pretty exciting!!! (And yes, he is a pretty good punter, and did a good job at it for BHS, can we say trick play??)

TAILG8R
08-20-2012, 07:39 PM

It was a third and 16 midway through the second qtr. He ran for 10 yds.

NorthernBison
08-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Kolpack said earlier today on twitter, "Ryan Smith (hamstring) running sprints on sideline, looks close to returning. "

He missed some time with a hamstring last year too. Right? If this is the same one, it will happen again. That worries me but there's nothing to do but wait and see.

Hamstring injuries take away exactly what makes Ryan such a threat. I really hope he can avoid re-injury.

b15on
08-20-2012, 07:51 PM
Bison Video Blog: Update on Esley Thorton

Join The Forum’s Jeff Kolpack and WDAY’s Dom Izzo from Dacotah Field for a quick update on Esley Thorton.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/08/20/bison-video-blog-update-on-esley-thorton/

pucknut9
08-20-2012, 08:08 PM
Compared to where, in the classroom?!He is a 4.0 in the classroom.:biggrin:

Bison03
08-20-2012, 08:27 PM
I can't wait to see what Wentz can do in out first 2 home games when the game is no longer in doubt.

KTF
08-20-2012, 08:29 PM
Dom and Jeff hinted at other position moves, any idea what they are talking about?

NorthernBison
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM
I can't wait to see what Wentz can do in out first 2 home games when the game is no longer in doubt.

What do you think he will be allowed to do? I'm guessing hand the ball off if history repeats itself. I guaranty that Coach will not let him throw it around with a comfortable lead. Just not his style to run it up.

tcbison
08-20-2012, 08:31 PM

Agreed. Also look forward to seeing Esley Thorton play on special teams.

Mr. Burgundy
08-20-2012, 09:00 PM
At some point, it was going to be next to impossible to sign a QB in this next class. That is why I absolutely love Derek McGinnis from Crete, Nebraska. There is a kid who isn't scared of a depth chart. DM is now our 3rd string QB. When he signed he was like 6th or something crazy. Bohl wants one in every class, and is building a legacy at QB. Carson Wentz is RAVED....RAVED about by the staff. Brock is the natural born leader that this team needs. He is a winner. If he does happen to go down, which is possible on any play, Wentz is ready. This move helps our recruiting, and shows the depth we have. Moving him to LB was a logical/simple decision. We have studs at LB, but lack depth. He will slowly get into special teams and then into the rotation. He is only a Sophomore, and is clearly a good enough athlete. This will be a fun one to follow, and if he does start making some plays this year, the fanbase will love this kid! Good luck, I am a huge fan. Seems like a great kid. He was a smooth kid on the 740 the fan interview earlier this year with Carson.

JustinTyem
08-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Thats one BAD ASS MOFO LB!!!!! Welcome to Code Green!!!!! http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=11845&SPID=695&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=204978116&Q_SEASON=2012

SDbison
08-20-2012, 09:14 PM
At some point, it was going to be next to impossible to sign a QB in this next class. That is why I absolutely love Derek McGinnis from Crete, Nebraska. There is a kid who isn't scared of a depth chart. DM is now our 3rd string QB. When he signed he was like 6th or something crazy. Bohl wants one in every class, and is building a legacy at QB. Carson Wentz is RAVED....RAVED about by the staff. Brock is the natural born leader that this team needs. He is a winner. If he does happen to go down, which is possible on any play, Wentz is ready. This move helps our recruiting, and shows the depth we have. Moving him to LB was a logical/simple decision. We have studs at LB, but lack depth. He will slowly get into special teams and then into the rotation. He is only a Sophomore, and is clearly a good enough athlete. This will be a fun one to follow, and if he does start making some plays this year, the fanbase will love this kid! Good luck, I am a huge fan. Seems like a great kid. He was a smooth kid on the 740 the fan interview earlier this year with Carson. I also look forward to seeing McGinnis play. His H.S. video reminded me a lot of what Jensen looked like in his H.S. video. All this and knowing that Wentz is good enough to be #2 right now. Wow!

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 09:51 PM
I also look forward to seeing McGinnis play. His H.S. video reminded me a lot of what Jensen looked like in his H.S. video. All this and knowing that Wentz is good enough to be #2 right now. Wow!I was really hoping McGinnis would redshirt this year, that way Wentz could start his senior year and McGinnis could start his junior and senior years.

roadwarrior
08-20-2012, 09:52 PM
I am sure the plan is to have McGinnis redshirt this season. Esley's move doesn't change that.

TAILG8R
08-20-2012, 09:54 PM
I was really hoping McGinnis would redshirt this year, that way Wentz could start his senior year and McGinnis could start his junior and senior years.

Won't Wentz be able to start his junior and senior year now with the Thorton move?

Bison03
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Bison Video Blog: Update on Esley Thorton

Join The Forum’s Jeff Kolpack and WDAY’s Dom Izzo from Dacotah Field for a quick update on Esley Thorton.

http://bisonmedia.areavoices.com/2012/08/20/bison-video-blog-update-on-esley-thorton/

Already rockin' the long hair. He will fit in quickly with the D.

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
Won't Wentz be able to start his junior and senior year now with the Thorton move?Yeah you're right, my bad. So who will officially be #3 on the depth chart if McGinnis redshirts?

stevdock
08-20-2012, 10:15 PM
McGinnis will officially be #3, but if Brock were to get hurt don't be surprised at all if Esley gets that QB playbook back in his hands as a just in case. It will be good to get his athleticism on the field any way they can get him out there.

CaBisonFan
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
It's not fair for someone to say "he couldn't cut it at qb". He is a gifted athlete and can play more than 1 position. I'm fine with the move, he will be just fine. Who knew we would be this stacked at QB a few years ago that we could move the #2/#3 qb to another position?? Pretty crazy. Carson is going to be a stud, not worried at all having him back up Brock. Brock has proven himself to me no matter how much I cheer for the ND kids, he is the starter, and I hope he has a great and healthy season! Can't wait to see E lay the wood or get a pick 6, going to be pretty exciting!!! (And yes, he is a pretty good punter, and did a good job at it for BHS, can we say trick play??)

Couldn't agree more. He got caught in the 'timing' trap. You can't pull the qb that led you to a national championship...and saving Esley for his senior season wouldn't be good for anyone.

EndZoneQB
08-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Yeah you're right, my bad. So who will officially be #3 on the depth chart if McGinnis redshirts?

...one only loses a redshirt if they play...

Gully
08-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Yeah you're right, my bad. So who will officially be #3 on the depth chart if McGinnis redshirts?

McGinnis can be #3 and still redshirt, as long as he doesn't play. It's unusual for a 3rd string QB to play, although it does happen. If it happened at the end of a game during the regular season and they thought one or both of the QBs would return the following week, they could still play Essley at QB to preserve McGinnis's redshirt.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 11:03 PM
I was really hoping McGinnis would redshirt this year, that way Wentz could start his senior year and McGinnis could start his junior and senior years.

Bison Knuckle,

Please show full size picture of avator.

Thank You in advance.

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 11:08 PM
...one only loses a redshirt if they play...
Thanks captain obvious, god forbid Brock gets injured week 10 and has to sit out a game and we have to pull McGinnis's redshirt so he can be the #2 for a game. That would be a giant waste of a redshirt year.

EndZoneQB
08-20-2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks captain obvious, god forbid Brock gets injured week 10 and has to sit out a game and we have to pull McGinnis's redshirt so he can be the #2 for a game. That would be a giant waste of a redshirt year.

...you still aren't even getting it. Who cares if he is #2?? That doesn't mean he is losing his redshirt. What part of "he has to play to lose his redshirt" don't you undertand? Esley is STILL on the roster, and knows the playbook. It'd be pretty easy to move him back if we needed a 3rd QB during a game.

Again, in case you are STILL missing it, McGinnis still keeps his redshirt unless he enters a game.

HerdBot
08-20-2012, 11:11 PM

I thought it doesn't matter as long as he doesn't play but if he takes 1 snap he loses his redshirt ?

EndZoneQB
08-20-2012, 11:12 PM
I thought it doesn't matter as long as he doesn't play but if he takes 1 snap he loses his redshirt ?

Yes. Exactly. Smart-ass up there still didn't get it.

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 11:14 PM
Bison Knuckle,

Please show full size picture of avator.

Thank You in advance.

1957 Here ya go

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 11:15 PM
Yes. Exactly. Smart-ass up there still didn't get it.

But he has one hell of an avatar. :biggrin:

Gully
08-20-2012, 11:15 PM
1957 Here ya go

wow
ten char

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 11:16 PM
...you still aren't even getting it. Who cares if he is #2?? That doesn't mean he is losing his redshirt. What part of "he has to play to lose his redshirt" don't you undertand? Esley is STILL on the roster, and knows the playbook. It'd be pretty easy to move him back if we needed a 3rd QB during a game.

Again, in case you are STILL missing it, McGinnis still keeps his redshirt unless he enters a game.

I get that he "has to play", but the #2 could easily play at any given time. See the national championship game....what did thorton get one snap? All I'm saying is that would be a waste of a redshirt if it happens. I'd rather see them pull Thorton back into the mix. nuff said, settle down.

thebigund
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
So nightmare situation of Thorton getting injured playing d or special teams Brock and Wentz getting hurt with bad o line play and McGuiness having to play multiple games and lose his redshirt. Are you guys comfortable with that possibility?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 11:17 PM
1957 Here ya go

Holy Camel Toe :biggrin:

Gully
08-20-2012, 11:23 PM
fixed it for you

So nightmare situation of Thorton getting injured playing d or special teams Brock and Wentz getting hurt with bad o line play and McGuiness having to play multiple games and lose his redshirt. Are you guys comfortable with that extremely remote possibility?

stevdock
08-20-2012, 11:27 PM
So nightmare situation of Thorton getting injured playing d or special teams Brock and Wentz getting hurt with bad o line play and McGuiness having to play multiple games and lose his redshirt. Are you guys comfortable with that possibility?

If Brock, Wentz and Esley all get hurt so McGinnis has to play, chances are it is going to be a long season.

EndZoneQB
08-20-2012, 11:28 PM
I get that he "has to play", but the #2 could easily play at any given time. See the national championship game....what did thorton get one snap? All I'm saying is that would be a waste of a redshirt if it happens. I'd rather see them pull Thorton back into the mix. nuff said, settle down.

You're the one that took the first shot with "Captain-Obvious". If we lose 2 QBs in a game, we have more issues than just taking someones redshirt.

thebigund
08-20-2012, 11:34 PM
The point I'm making is that Bohl somehow takes huge depth and creates a possible weakness for no reason. He's just not great with qbs.

Bison-Knuckle
08-20-2012, 11:35 PM
Holy Camel Toe :biggrin:
It's not a camel-toe, it's a bison-knuckle

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 11:38 PM
So nightmare situation of Thorton getting injured playing d or special teams Brock and Wentz getting hurt with bad o line play and McGuiness having to play multiple games and lose his redshirt. Are you guys comfortable with the possibilitythat NDSU would still have a more potent offense than UND?

FIFY

BTW, it would be more than just a possibility.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-20-2012, 11:39 PM
It's not a camel-toe, it's a bison-knuckle

Well Played...............

ndsubison1
08-20-2012, 11:47 PM

Thank you for reiterating what has already been said

HerdBot
08-21-2012, 12:12 AM
The point I'm making is that Bohl somehow takes huge depth and creates a possible weakness for no reason. He's just not great with qbs.

Its not a possible weakness. Its a very very improbable weakness. The odds of us losing 2 linebackers is much greater.

BisonNeil
08-21-2012, 01:19 AM
Ke

Wr- absolutely stacked for the next 2-4 years (3 in this class, okland, vraa, Gebheart, smith, wahlo)

Linebacker or strong safety makes sense. Sort of interchangeable too. We are solid at both spots but with injuries we may need him sooner than later and he can be eased into the position and contribute more late in the season. Plus he probably needs to add a little weight. Not much.

Excited to see what he can do. Have visions of Esley dropping back into coverage to cover the tight end and using his good height and 38" vertical to pick some passes off

For the 4 millionth time Gabe, it's Gebhart.

BisonNeil
08-21-2012, 01:20 AM
I know they are unproven but anyone who has followed Bison Football can recognize that this years receiving class is amazing and the depth over the next few years is our best ever. Dee Gray was the 3rd best prospect in Illinois before the team went to a run run philosophy. And apparently he has a shot to play as a true frosh. The Warren kid from Kansas is in a similar class. And the craziest part is Carey Woods may be the best of the 3. Oakland is skilled. Ryan Smith is proven and has 2 years of starting left. Vraa won the starting role before getting injured and is currently listed as the starter and he may have a 6th year medical redshirt. Gebheart has playing experience. So does Wahlo. Thats assuming Moody or Dunn dont see the field. And Perkins apparently looks great... even if half these guys are busts were still sitting great. There are always a few busts but we have sheer numbers. At linebacker we're 2 injuries away from being borderline fucked. If you think Esley stands a chance to see the field at WR over these guys your nuts. (Actually I have no idea if you agree or not Im just giving you shit since your giving me shit)

It's spelled Okland. Out of respect, please learn how to spell a players name. It is the LEAST you can do.

Professor Chaos
08-21-2012, 06:01 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back on topic but it sounds like Thorton is listed as the backup strongside LB on the two-deep that's coming out today and Bohl said that he will get some snaps there against Robert Morris. How much time and in what game situations will be dictated by the game itself I'm sure.

Bison-Knuckle
08-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Sorry to bring this thread back on topic but it sounds like Thorton is listed as the backup strongside LB on the two-deep that's coming out today and Bohl said that he will get some snaps there against Robert Morris. How much time and in what game situations will be dictated by the game itself I'm sure.
Hopefully we get up big on RMU so Thorton can get some solid reps against their starting crew. Nothing will be better for his confidence and growth other than seeing live action against a variety of pass plays and run plays. I'm sure the tampa 2 will be a big chunk to swallow right away, but with him practicing against it all last year hopefully he has a general idea about how the linebackers are expected to react to different types of plays. I'm just babbling, the coaches will get him up to speed I'm sure.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
08-21-2012, 06:47 PM

Back on topic. This kinda scares me that he would be on the two deep right away. We must VERY thin at LB, moreso than we thought.

CAS4127
08-21-2012, 06:50 PM
Back on topic. This kinda scares me that he would be on the two deep right away. We must VERY thin at LB, moreso than we thought.

And, playing ILB at the college level, regardless of the level, is way different than playing safety in high school--way, way different. Lots of foot/big body traffic going on, so you have to be very physical and keep your head on a constant swivel. Make no mistake here, this will not be an easy transition for Esley, not in the least. Don't expect much from him this year, at least that is my position. Plus, I really think he is a bit light for his height and playing ILB. Needs to learn to keep his pads down and maintain leverage.

THEsocalledfan
08-21-2012, 08:15 PM
And, playing ILB at the college level, regardless of the level, is way different than playing safety in high school--way, way different. Lots of foot/big body traffic going on, so you have to be very physical and keep your head on a constant swivel. Make no mistake here, this will not be an easy transition for Esley, not in the least. Don't expect much from him this year, at least that is my position. Plus, I really think he is a bit light for his height and playing ILB. Needs to learn to keep his pads down and maintain leverage.

I am certainly not the great football mind you are, but, honestly, I was thinking the same that he is kind of light. Cas, are you surprised they did not put him at safety? Seems more natural to me; admit he is taller than the average safety.

(By the way, my kids loved the BI article that featured your thoughts on repeating and NC. We look forward to seeing you in a couple weeks. Go Bison!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Answer Guy
08-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Brock was arguably one of the more efficient QB's in the NFL: until he had to play out the rest of the season on a bone spur.

Brock J. is a fine QB; but I'd like to hear your NFL argument.

TransAmBison
08-21-2012, 08:40 PM
Brock J. is a fine QB; but I'd like to hear your NFL argument.He has not thrown one interception in the NFL. Heck, he hasn't even thrown one incomplete pass in the NFL. BOOM!

Answer Guy
08-21-2012, 08:42 PM
He has not thrown one interception in the NFL. Heck, he hasn't even thrown one incomplete pass in the NFL. BOOM!

Neither did Mertens. :hide:

JustinTyem
08-21-2012, 08:43 PM
He has not thrown one interception in the NFL. Heck, he hasn't even thrown one incomplete pass in the NFL. BOOM!What????????? No way,I thought the Bison were NorthDakota's NFL Team???

SportsLover
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM

I agree. I think we shouldn't expect much from Esley this season. This is going to take awhile but i think with time to learn and bulk up he could see some playing time next season. He will get some good learning time vs robert morris and Prairie View. Esley is a great Athlete I'm excited to watch him grow at his new position.

TransAmBison
08-21-2012, 08:44 PM
Neither did Mertens. :hide:Point taken.