PDA

View Full Version : Gophers announce...... rest easy Bison fans

SirHinn
01-15-2007, 11:03 PM
Gophers announced Tim Brewster as their head coach. Or I said when I saw it, who? Not Bohl though, good to know. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

NDSUFREAK10
01-15-2007, 11:04 PM
I knew that Bohl wouldnt get it all along... ::) :-? ;D ;) :D

2006gwfcchamps
01-15-2007, 11:37 PM
On gopherhole they're saying his son is a 4 star recruit that has committed to Illinois and that he might now come to MN.

We could possibly benefit with some gopher QB transfers.

Bisonguy
01-16-2007, 12:09 AM
Ahhhhh.

I can sleep tonight.

Jdubs21
01-16-2007, 12:39 AM
haha u guys werent that worried bohl would get it were u guys???...nothing against bohl but i jsut dont think they woulda given the job to him, probably because they are the goofs and they do goofy things...and hiring a good coach isnt somethin they would do....lol

bisoneer
01-16-2007, 01:00 AM
Wow, that's a relief, I'm glad Craig Bohl is staying in Fargo. Keep up the good work, and now u can concentrate on the Bison after this recent distraction.

What's Mason doing? Playing cards with Monson?

On Bison

DenverBison05
01-16-2007, 01:09 AM
Over on Gopherhole they are saying that numerous sources are reporting that the U hasn't hired anyone yet. :(

NDSUFREAK10
01-16-2007, 02:14 AM
Over on Gopherhole they are saying that numerous sources are reporting that the U hasn't hired anyone yet. :(

HMMMM....ESPN or Gopher Hole..... ::)

CaBisonFan
01-16-2007, 02:39 AM
Gophers announced Tim Brewster as their head coach. *Or I said when I saw it, who? *Not Bohl though, good to know. *http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

Bohl lucked out. Thanks.

DenverBison05
01-16-2007, 03:10 AM

Gopherhole (http://www.startribune.com/512/story/938115.html ) ;D *;D ;D *I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't believe their sources.

NDSUFREAK10
01-16-2007, 03:27 AM

Gopherhole (http://www.startribune.com/512/story/938115.html ) ;D *;D ;D *I wouldn't have posted it if I didn't believe their sources.

For my reply to this post go to the thread "Brewster not hired"

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 03:28 AM
Well ESPN got some bad info and now A LOT of you have said, "I knew he wouldn't get it". Now, HOPEFULLY you won't be eating your words. ;D

NDSUFREAK10
01-16-2007, 03:29 AM
Well ESPN got some bad info and now A LOT of you have said, "I knew he wouldn't get it". *Now, HOPEFULLY you won't be eating your words. *;D

I know my position on this and am on the edge of my seat so i'm not ambushed on this board. :D

NDSUguy
01-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Brewster will be announced as head coach in a press conference this afternoon.

Apparently he's highly regarded as one of the best recruiters in the country. You might recognize one of his recent recruits... Vince Young.

Esquire
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
Recruiting Texas athletes when you are the University of Texas and recruiting Texas athletes when you at the University of Minnesota.....night and day. Good luck to him though. I hope he does well against everyone but the Bison.

IowaBison
01-16-2007, 02:24 PM
so he's been TE coach and a good recruiter...........

?

WePharm
01-16-2007, 02:29 PM
Wow
They took a good tight ends coach over someone that builds programs! Wow

SDbison
01-16-2007, 02:31 PM
so he's been TE coach and a good recruiter...........

?
Those were my thoughts too. Did he have any head coaching or O / D coordinator positions?

IowaBison
01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
he also coached special teams at Texas........

mikelsch
01-16-2007, 02:47 PM
13 years as Mack Brown's ace recruiter, 1 year with Mike Shanahan, and ties to the Midwest...sounds like a respectable hire to me

ccrider
01-16-2007, 03:15 PM
Very respectable hire, but not the "big name" that many wanted. Maybe Maturi wanted someone that he wouldn't be intimidated by and would be able to "control" a little bit.

This seems like a quick hire also. I realize there are recruiting concerns, but barely any press on "big name" candidates interviewed.

SDbison
01-16-2007, 03:21 PM
Going from a recruiter and specialty positions coach to head coach of a Big Ten team seems like a pretty big jump with some risk. How is this guy at directing the efforts of other coaches and an entire team let alone dealing with pressures from the media, administration and fans? I am sure Minnesota must be confident in his abilities but seems a bit odd. Oh well, I am glad we still have Bohl and he has demonstrated success at recruiting and performance on the field. Good luck to Minnesota except when we play them.

NDSUguy
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Some thoughts about his ability to recruit texas... Yes, while recruiting players from Texas he was also able to recruit the players (from within and outside of Texas) to make their program one of the tops in the country. We need to keep in mind that just because you're a big program doesn't mean that you'll automatically be good. Look at USC. They have always been the college in California but they haven't always recruited well (and they had down years because of that). It wasn't until Carroll came to USC that they finally recruited the players necessary to become dominant.

I have no doubts that he can coach. I also have no doubts that he can handle the HC job at the UofM.

All of the people who know about college football and specifically head coaching positions say that he is a great candidate. We can speculate all we want as to his abilities or his qualifications but in the end we're a bunch of idiot rubes that don't have any insight to the UofM or to college football in general.

NDSUguy
01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
One other note... It also looks like he knows how to develop players. Ever heard of Antonio Gates? Most teams passed up on him. Brewster saw his raw talent and said that he could make him a pro-bowler in his first 3 years. That turned out well.

RodentiaX1
01-16-2007, 04:45 PM

GopherIllustrated got burned last week with rumors of a hire, so I can understand some skepticism.

RodentiaX1
01-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Gophers announced Tim Brewster as their head coach. *Or I said when I saw it, who? *Not Bohl though, good to know. *http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2732273

Bohl lucked out. *Thanks.

Yep, Bohl lucked out by not getting a job at a BCS school that would pay him several times what he makes now. Who out there would consider a huge pay raise bad luck? Besides, I think Bohl is able to make his own decisions: if he were offered the job and took it, he likely would not have considered it bad luck.

SDbison
01-16-2007, 04:51 PM
Some thoughts about his ability to recruit texas... *Yes, while recruiting players from Texas he was also able to recruit the players (from within and outside of Texas) to make their program one of the tops in the country. *We need to keep in mind that just because you're a big program doesn't mean that you'll automatically be good. *Look at USC. *They have always been the college in California but they haven't always recruited well (and they had down years because of that). *It wasn't until Carroll came to USC that they finally recruited the players necessary to become dominant. *

I have no doubts that he can coach. *I also have no doubts that he can handle the HC job at the UofM. *

All of the people who know about college football and specifically head coaching positions say that he is a great candidate. *We can speculate all we want as to his abilities or his qualifications but in the end we're a bunch of idiot rubes that don't have any insight to the UofM or to college football in general.
Speak for yourself buddy! ;)
I think we are entitled to speculate because that is why this board exists. If I was a Gopher fan I might have some doubts given all the problems in the past. BTW, the Gophers problems are not just talent related, its the environment and the approach of the coach(s) that make a big difference too. Getting the best out of your talent and getting them to play as a team is essential. Hopefully the new coach can bring it all to the table for them. If he gets all of his talent from outside of Minnesota that is good for NDSU too.

NDSUFREAK10
01-16-2007, 05:22 PM
SO DID THEY HIRE SOMEONE??!!

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 05:26 PM

Yes, I heard on the FAN this morning that Webster was for sure the hire!

2006gwfcchamps
01-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Webster?

NDSUguy
01-16-2007, 05:48 PM
Webster?

not webster. brewster

Scooter
01-16-2007, 05:52 PM
Actually, Brewster is the safe choice, from what has been said about the guy, he sounds like a good fit for the Gophers.

NDSUFREAK10
01-16-2007, 06:44 PM

I'm hearing yes, no, yes, sure, maybe, yes, no, and YES. Glad I can get that clear.

imabison
01-16-2007, 08:03 PM

I'm hearing yes, no, yes, sure, maybe, yes, no, and YES. Glad I can get that clear.

let see it was reported in the Forum that there is a news conference scheduled for Wednesday Morning. I am sure the would have a news conference to say the someone was NOT hired.

Lock the threads its a done deal.

KTF
01-16-2007, 08:14 PM
http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=670

TheDoctor
01-16-2007, 09:12 PM
Webster?

Webster - Brewster there both 1980's sit coms right? ;D I honelty thoght when I heard the name in the car, 80's sitcom Punky Brewster, well when I went to type it here, I thought 80's sitcom and out came Webster. ;D ;D ;D

BTownJack
01-17-2007, 12:01 AM
From the U of M website:

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=38605&SPID=3280&DB_OEM_ID=8 400&ATCLID=747972

sambini
01-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Finally they hire a coach. Read about him today sounds like a hell of a recruiter. Recruiting guru Tom LEMMING had high praises for the guy. Bottom line is Coach is staying and looking forward to our golf trip next summer to Red Mike with Coach and COACH wash.

IowaBisonToo
01-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Sounds like a good pick for the Gophs in terms of recruiting. Read a lot of prais about him as a tight ends coach - not like the Gophs need help with the tight ends they've had in the past couple of years. All I can say is I hope it doesn't adversely affect how recruits view NDSU vs U of MN. A tad worried that there will be some that would have come to NDSU but now may choose to be low man on the totem pole at MN if this guy can feed them a line of BS to get them to come (i.e. walk-ons, 3rd-stringers, etc. that could be valuable to NDSU).

Jeffdaryl3rd
01-17-2007, 02:17 PM
Terrible choice for the Gophers, as expected by myself. Brewster has no head coaching experience (I'm not giving him credit for those two years as a high school head coach twenty years ago) and he hasn't even been a coordinator...he has been a tight ends coach for the last 18 years. The Gophs will rue the day they hired this guy.