PDA

View Full Version : Open Tryouts?

The_Bard
08-13-2012, 06:57 PM
OK, so NDSU is holding open tryouts for any interested female students, three weeks after pre-season started? Huh. I'm not sure what message this sends to the existing players, but this has potential to be a real morale-killer if not handled properly. I know what I thought when I read this. Generally walk-ons are identified much earlier in the process than after the season has started. Is there an historical precedence for this that I've just forgotten?

http://www.gobison.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205584819

tony
08-13-2012, 07:48 PM
OK, so NDSU is holding open tryouts for any interested female students, three weeks after pre-season started? Huh. I'm not sure what message this sends to the existing players, but this has potential to be a real morale-killer if not handled properly. I know what I thought when I read this. Generally walk-ons are identified much earlier in the process than after the season has started. Is there an historical precedence for this that I've just forgotten?

What did you think when you read this? Made me think that NDSU doesn't have enough bodies for scrimmages or something.

If open tryouts is a morale-killer... well, there's a problem, but I don't think open tryouts is it.

aces1180
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
They usually have these when the general student population reports to campus...Gives them a chance to find a diamond in the rough who slipped through the cracks...That's all there is to it. Typically, it has nothing to do with the performance or expected performance of the current squad.

Kermit
08-13-2012, 07:51 PM
They usually have these when the general student population reports to campus...Gives them a chance to find a diamond in the rough who slipped through the cracks...That's all there is to it. Typically, it has nothing to do with the performance or expected performance of the current squad.

Exactamundo.

roadwarrior
08-13-2012, 07:52 PM
The same thing is happening for volleyball. I think baseball and softball have tryouts also.

Kermit
08-13-2012, 08:06 PM
The same thing is happening for volleyball. I think baseball and softball have tryouts also.

Even men's hoops. That is how Fred Newell originally got a spot as a practice player--and the rest is history. ;)

imabison
08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
What did you think when you read this? Made me think that NDSU doesn't have enough bodies for scrimmages or something.

If open tryouts is a morale-killer... well, there's a problem, but I don't think open tryouts is it.

What do I think when I read this?? Lets see when do classes start?? They certainly would not have open tryouts for NDSU Students much before classes start.
Looks totally legit to me, for all sports.

KSBisonFan
08-13-2012, 10:13 PM

Anyone heard how TABS' tryout went?....

Hammersmith
08-14-2012, 12:25 AM
I think golf's is coming up in a few days.

b15on
08-14-2012, 12:30 AM
I think golf's is coming up in a few days.

True that...Golf's the 24th. Soccer 21st. Volleyball 20th.

BlueBisonRock
08-14-2012, 12:50 AM
Anyone heard how TABS' tryout went?....

He went in with a full twelve pack, but it turned out that AG substituted Ole Frothenslosh for his craft brew and it was all downhill from there.

Tatanka
08-14-2012, 12:19 PM
He went in with a full twelve pack, but it turned out that AG substituted Ole Frothenslosh for his craft brew and it was all downhill from there.

I'm sure Ole had no idea what was in store for him that day. I heard he had a good head of foam worked up.

The_Bard
08-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Hey, thanks everyone for setting me straight! It makes sense that they would do this, I just didn't recall it happening before - maybe just a different publicity approach this time that made it seem new. I knew I could get the real answer here.

Good luck to the team on their trip to Idaho this weekend!

Twentysix
08-15-2012, 02:07 AM

http://www.gobison.com//ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205584819

Every sport has open tryouts at ndsu even football.

tony
08-17-2012, 12:56 PM
Every sport has open tryouts at ndsu even football.

They do but I think that soccer* really needs some more bodies.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205604611

^ Says they're down to 16 healthy players so they can't even scrimmage.

* correct typo

Tatanka
08-17-2012, 01:52 PM
They do but I think that VB really needs some more bodies.

http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&ATCLID=205604611

^ Says they're down to 16 healthy players so they can't even scrimmage. Soccer? Pretty sure 16 is a crowd in VB. ;)

tony
08-17-2012, 03:01 PM
Soccer? Pretty sure 16 is a crowd in VB. ;)

Oops. Voet Ball?