PDA

View Full Version : Linebacker Depth (now that jemison is gone)

HerdBot
08-09-2012, 03:00 PM
With Jemison kicked off the team, what does our linebacker depth look like now?

Here's the top 4 guys according to Kolpacks article last week. (Jemison was listed last week as #5)
52 Travis Beck LB 6-0 207 So. Munich, N.D. (Langdon-Munich HS)
38 Carlton Littlejohn LB 6-1 216 So. Minneapolis, Minn. (North Community HS)
34 Grant Olson LB 6-0 223 Jr. Plymouth, Minn. (Wayzata HS)
51 DeShawn Dinwiddie LB 6-2 213 So. Hutchinson, Kan. (Hutchinson HS)

Antonio Rogers was said to be nursing a hammy. I hope we can get him back soon.
44 Antonio Rodgers LB 5-10 221 Jr. North Miami Beach, Fla. (West Hills College) (North Miami Beach HS)

After that if I had to guess I would say these are next in line

43 Alex LaVoy LB 6-0 218 RFr. Naytahwaush, Minn. (Mahnomen HS) (had a great spring game)
55 Nick Scoliere LB 6-2 221 RFr. St. Charles, Ill. (Marmion Academy) (started in the spring game at middle)

Any freshman have a shot? Jacob Davis passes the eyeball test but middle linebacker is a pretty tough position for a freshman to play
42 Jacob Davis LB 6-1 225 Fr. Wichita, Kan. (Northwest H.S.)
58 Zach Riopelle LB 6-2 218 Fr. Warren, Minn. (Warren-Alvarado-Oslo HS)
41 MJ Stumpf LB 6-2 185 Fr. Harvey, N.D. (Harvey H.S.)

Not sure on any of these guys...
49 Matt Larson LB 6-0 197 Fr. Rosemount, Minn. (Rosemount HS)
45 Codee Lee LB 6-1 217 RFr. Velva, N.D. (Velva HS)
54 Tyler Gefroh LB 6-0 218 So. Grand Forks, N.D. (Red River HS)
36 Joey Sonnenfeld LB 6-3 202 RFr. Maple Grove, Minn. (Osseo HS)

Out for season
48 Logan Hushka LB 6-0 214 Jr. Fargo, N.D. (Shanley HS)

MNLonghorn10
08-09-2012, 03:16 PM
I got lakes as my fourth linebacker

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bisontwice
08-09-2012, 04:22 PM
Gefroh is still out having had Achilles surgery last winter

IronRanger
08-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Out of the loop here, but what happen to Carter?

bisontwice
08-09-2012, 04:32 PM
Dismissed from team during spring ball

dragonsfan
08-09-2012, 04:39 PM
theres still 4 solid linebackers to fill 3 spots they will be allright.

344Johnson
08-09-2012, 04:44 PM

Depth, depth, depth.

Bison"FANatic"
08-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Well it is time for some young guys to step up. All most people want is the chance to prove themselves, well here it is. Time to step up and get the job done. There are openings and it is going to be fun to watch who has the skill, drive, discipline and want, to step up and fill the spot. Every opening is just a opportunity for someone else to succeed. Lets see who nuts up and gets it done.

jimmyptubas
08-09-2012, 05:10 PM
I never like to see someone get dismissed and especially a local well known guy but I agree that It seems like our depth is at the very least "acceptable". I will approach this development as a i do with most sports stories...i will remain cautiously optimistic.

EndZoneQB
08-09-2012, 05:38 PM

I disagree. The reason we were so good on defense last year was our constant rotating of quality LBs.

bisonmike2
08-09-2012, 05:42 PM
I disagree. The reason we were so good on defense last year was our constant rotating of quality LBs.

Well let's hope our offense can do a better job of staying on the field so our defense doesn't need so many people rotating out.

Not that it was very bad last year but we did have some games last year where the D could have been helped if the offense would have picked up an extra first down or two.

JSUBison
08-09-2012, 05:44 PM

God forbid Olson or Beck go down, could we see Lang, Ojuri or Crockett back there? :hide: What about the UNI transfer, can't remember his name. Kolpack/Izzo in the Bisonmediablog are high on him, saying he's got good leadership. Don't know if his frame would allow him to play LB though.

aces1180
08-09-2012, 05:46 PM
God forbid Olson or Beck go down, could we see Lang, Ojuri or Crockett back there? :hide: What about the UNI transfer, can't remember his name. Kolpack/Izzo in the Bisonmediablog are high on him, saying he's got good leadership. Don't know if his frame would allow him to play LB though.

I think they could move one of the D-Ends to an outside slot if needed.

coloradobison
08-09-2012, 06:03 PM

If you mean Andre Martin, he has been playing CB opposite Marcus.

344Johnson
08-09-2012, 06:09 PM
I think they could move one of the D-Ends to an outside slot if needed.

Emmanuel possibly?

HerdBot
08-09-2012, 06:14 PM
Emmanuel possibly?
DE is one of the most important positions and since he is a starter I doubt that would happen. I think well just go with the young guys

HerdBot
08-09-2012, 06:15 PM

Same could be said for the d-line.

SportsLover
08-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Emmanuel possibly?

Thats the one i thinking. He body size is the most similar to a LB. Could we possibly see a FB move over to that position?

EndZoneQB
08-09-2012, 06:18 PM
Same could be said for the d-line.

But who is concerned with the DL right now? Try to focus lol

Snowgoose
08-09-2012, 09:43 PM
I have no idea if he played linebacker in HS or not, but my vote would be to have Lang switch to a linebacker. He appears to have the skills and is most likely sitting behind Ojuri, Jones, and Crocket in whatever order at RB. Plus you have Dinwiddie as maybe a 3rd down back. I like Lang as a RB but it seems like depth at LB is a little more important right now.

344Johnson
08-09-2012, 09:50 PM
I dont think playing a true freshman if necessary is the end of the world.

CaBisonFan
08-09-2012, 09:55 PM
Looks like there are plenty of guys recruited for the position. As others have written...I see it as an opportunity for one of our young guys to show his talent.

Best of luck to Brandon. It might seem like the end of the world now...but it doesn't have to be. Thanks to Brandon for his contributions to our National Championship.

BisoninNWMN
08-09-2012, 10:51 PM
Well it is time for some young guys to step up. All most people want is the chance to prove themselves, well here it is. Time to step up and get the job done. There are openings and it is going to be fun to watch who has the skill, drive, discipline and want, to step up and fill the spot. Every opening is just a opportunity for someone else to succeed. Lets see who nuts up and gets it done.

Well said.

Time for some young guys to step-up.

HerdBot
08-09-2012, 11:46 PM
Gers
But who is concerned with the DL right now? Try to focus lol

I was saying you cant single out linebacker depth as the reason our defense was so good. The d-line rotation is and was just as good or better.

I think a position change for a backup at this point in camp would be counter productive. Especially if we have an injury at DE. I would imagine Dinwiddie and Lavoy are way ahead of Emannual at this point in time having practiced for over a year although if things get really ugly could make the switch. He was brought in as a linebacker. Just my opinion .

After watching the spring game I am really high on Lavoy. Not ready to start but by not playing him were kind of slowing his development . And this Antonio Roger's kid is great too. There is a good group of linebacker's . And if we stay injury free we can ease them in

Scooter1
08-10-2012, 12:15 AM
IMO there are two incoming freshmen that should be looked at before moving anyone like Lang
1. Jacob Davis - He has the physical tools to play right now.
2. Chuks Amaechi - 6'2 203 lb. He is listed as a defensive end but did play some linebacker in high school. He may be better suited for Linebacke and appears to need a good 25-30 pounds before he is ready for the DE position. Those that follow Arizona high school can't believe that he isn't playing for Arizona or Arizona St. I say move him over and see what he can do at LB.

Then again, I here that Nick Scoliere and Dinwiddie are doing just fine...throw in the JC transfer and you have 6 LB. LaVoy also had a good spring.

IzzyFlexion
08-10-2012, 12:32 AM
Sneak Lee Vandal back there.
There are still kids in the Rolla hospital recovering from some of his HS LB hits.

344Johnson
08-10-2012, 12:55 AM
Sneak Lee Vandal back there.
There are still kids in the Rolla hospital recovering from some of his HS LB hits.

Goodness gracious I loved watching him blow linebackers up. Honestly, Bison fullbacks all kick ass.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 12:58 AM
IMO there are two incoming freshmen that should be looked at before moving anyone like Lang
1. Jacob Davis - He has the physical tools to play right now.
2. Chuks Amaechi - 6'2 203 lb. He is listed as a defensive end but did play some linebacker in high school. He may be better suited for Linebacke and appears to need a good 25-30 pounds before he is ready for the DE position. Those that follow Arizona high school can't believe that he isn't playing for Arizona or Arizona St. I say move him over and see what he can do at LB.

Then again, I here that Nick Scoliere and Dinwiddie are doing just fine...throw in the JC transfer and you have 6 LB. LaVoy also had a good spring.
Agree on Davis. Kids huge already. Depends on whether or not he can learn a position quickly. Looking at a 225 pound frame, he's already the heaviest backer and built for the middle. That's the toughest position to learn.

Chuks? Bohl singled him out as an edge rusher. They are hard to find. Much harder than outside linebacker's and the key to the Tampa 2 is getting pressure with your front 4 without depending on the blitz. Another reason I don't want to move Emmanuel let alone Chuks.

Scooter1
08-10-2012, 02:03 AM
Agree on Davis. Kids huge already. Depends on whether or not he can learn a position quickly. Looking at a 225 pound frame, he's already the heaviest backer and built for the middle. That's the toughest position to learn.

Chuks? Bohl singled him out as an edge rusher. They are hard to find. Much harder than outside linebacker's and the key to the Tampa 2 is getting pressure with your front 4 without depending on the blitz. Another reason I don't want to move Emmanuel let alone Chuks.

You do realize that Gimmestad was singled out as a noseguard....and LaVoy started out on the Bison defense, not to mention that starting OG George Danilkowicz for S Illinois was a former Bison defensive lineman.....Justin Juckem was a DE....Joey Sonnenfeld was a safety....Ryan Drevlow was a DE...

We have three speed rushers in Emanuel, Jirik and JC Gordon and all will be back next year. I guess they aren't as hard to find as one would think.

BisonNation11
08-10-2012, 02:32 AM
People, people, people! Lend me your rears! Err, um, ears! We have Colton Heagle!!! Not in a cast!!! Stick a body in there at LB and let the Golden Eagle Heagle take care of the rest!

Kermit
08-10-2012, 02:54 AM
Bison D will be in nickel 30% of snaps. Great depth in secondary will help compensate for shallow group of linebackers. FWIW.

Starting LBs are studs. Dinwiddie is a dude. I like Scoliere too.

JustinTyem
08-10-2012, 04:28 AM
People, people, people! Lend me your rears! Err, um, ears! We have Colton Heagle!!! Not in a cast!!! Stick a body in there at LB and let the Golden Eagle Heagle take care of the rest!Let me hear a AMEN!!!!:biggrin:

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 04:30 AM
You do realize that Gimmestad was singled out as a noseguard....and LaVoy started out on the Bison defense, not to mention that starting OG George Danilkowicz for S Illinois was a former Bison defensive lineman.....Justin Juckem was a DE....Joey Sonnenfeld was a safety....Ryan Drevlow was a DE...

We have three speed rushers in Emanuel, Jirik and JC Gordon and all will be back next year. I guess they aren't as hard to find as one would think.

Believe me I know all the changes. Going from guard to d tackle or vice versa is nothing. Going from strong safety to linebacker is nothing. Actually the craziest was Juckem. He played running back, receiver, and tight end in high school.

Anyway.. The right defensive end is probably the most important spot on the team. Finding great pass rushers is really really hard. (we're lucky we have 3 right now and outside of Jirik I wouldn't necessarily call them great pass rushers, more good run stoppers smart and solid players across the board)

Finding outside linebackers is much easier. With the exception of 2009 we always have a ton of them. Kind of like running backs.

Point is Bohl said he was a great edge pass rusher. That's a unique skill. If you look at his highlights that is so obvious. We want to see Chuks redshirt and need to think ahead 2 years when these guys are gone. He will be a 3 year starter. Heck he may step into Rickey Hagens role next year. Trust me. In a few years this kid is going to be a star and make our defense amazing.

Could he step in and be a good linebacker? Sure. But odds are we'll find someone else who can be a good linebacker. (and it will be much harder to find a great RDE)

344Johnson
08-10-2012, 04:31 AM
People, people, people! Lend me your rears! Err, um, ears! We have Colton Heagle!!! Not in a cast!!! Stick a body in there at LB and let the Golden Eagle Heagle take care of the rest!

Umm he goes by the Golden Eagle. Adding the Heagle in there is just redundant.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 04:34 AM
Bison D will be in nickel 30% of snaps. Great depth in secondary will help compensate for shallow group of linebackers. FWIW.

Starting LBs are studs. Dinwiddie is a dude. I like Scoliere too.

Great point Kermit. Actually that's what Sam Houston did last year and it was obviously effective!

Scooter1
08-10-2012, 08:56 AM
Believe me I know all the changes. Going from guard to d tackle or vice versa is nothing. Going from strong safety to linebacker is nothing. Actually the craziest was Juckem. He played running back, receiver, and tight end in high school.

Anyway.. The right defensive end is probably the most important spot on the team. Finding great pass rushers is really really hard. (we're lucky we have 3 right now and outside of Jirik I wouldn't necessarily call them great pass rushers, more good run stoppers smart and solid players across the board)

Finding outside linebackers is much easier. With the exception of 2009 we always have a ton of them. Kind of like running backs.

Point is Bohl said he was a great edge pass rusher. That's a unique skill. If you look at his highlights that is so obvious. We want to see Chuks redshirt and need to think ahead 2 years when these guys are gone. He will be a 3 year starter. Heck he may step into Rickey Hagens role next year. Trust me. In a few years this kid is going to be a star and make our defense amazing.

Could he step in and be a good linebacker? Sure. But odds are we'll find someone else who can be a good linebacker. (and it will be much harder to find a great RDE)

Anyway, my original post was in reference to what would be a better move than switching Lang to Linebacker. As I stated in my original post we have six maybe seven linebackers before even looking at this freshman class. The season is a grind and a running team needs a ton of backs, Last season we had McNorton, Ojuri, Lang, Hudson, and Jones. We were fortunate that we didn't need to pull the redshirt from Jones after Hudson was dismissed.

Justin Juckem was never recruited by the Bison for offense so it isn't that crazy. He also played LB and DE and was recruited as a DE. A 6'5 235 pound kid that can run a sub 4.7 40 is hard to find and why we wanted him at DE and not offense.

You are mistaken in your assumption that going from the defensive line to the offensive line and performing at the level needed to be successful in the FCS is nothing. It is an entirely different skill set. If it were that easy, everyone on this board wouldn't have been so pleasantly surprised that Gimmestad was ready to step in so soon. Also, the reason why everyone is hoping that we can strike gold a second time in a row with LaVoy. Although I don't agree with this, some speculated that Lavoy's rise up the depth chart was more do to the lack of talent on the O line than Lavoy's ability.

Right DE is an important part of the team but no more important than a lockdown cornerback (2009 SHSU game) or a solid QB (entire 2009 season), or 2 solid interior linemen that require double teaming. ect.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Anyway, my original post was in reference to what would be a better move than switching Lang to Linebacker. As I stated in my original post we have six maybe seven linebackers before even looking at this freshman class. The season is a grind and a running team needs a ton of backs, Last season we had McNorton, Ojuri, Lang, Hudson, and Jones. We were fortunate that we didn't need to pull the redshirt from Jones after Hudson was dismissed.

Justin Juckem was never recruited by the Bison for offense so it isn't that crazy. He also played LB and DE and was recruited as a DE. A 6'5 235 pound kid that can run a sub 4.7 40 is hard to find and why we wanted him at DE and not offense.

You are mistaken in your assumption that going from the defensive line to the offensive line and performing at the level needed to be successful in the FCS is nothing. It is an entirely different skill set. If it were that easy, everyone on this board wouldn't have been so pleasantly surprised that Gimmestad was ready to step in so soon. Also, the reason why everyone is hoping that we can strike gold a second time in a row with LaVoy. Although I don't agree with this, some speculated that Lavoy's rise up the depth chart was more do to the lack of talent on the O line than Lavoy's ability.

Right DE is an important part of the team but no more important than a lockdown cornerback (2009 SHSU game) or a solid QB (entire 2009 season), or 2 solid interior linemen that require double teaming. ect.

Heres a better way for me to respond. I would move Lang to linebacker before Chuks to linebacker because Chuks has a better chance to be a star at his current position.

Its easier to find stud linebacker's than DEs. All positions are important although I was more talking about defense . Its well know that the Tampa 2 needs the front 4 to get pressure without the blitz. The best example in the Tampa 2 would be the Vikings pre and post Jarrod Allen. While they were good before, he put the defense over the top. (Of course now we just suck really bad at all positions but you catch my drift)

Position switches... I admit I was shocked that Gimmestad has so much success but it seems like its happening more frequently so it was just an observation. Seems like guys who play DT played guard or OT in high school have success moving... Bohl likes to put the best athletes on defense. I wouldn't be shocked if we ever have issues if we move Farnloff but that's a total guess

MNLonghorn10
08-10-2012, 05:14 PM
Can the honey badger play linebacker?

coloradobison
08-10-2012, 05:21 PM

I was wondering how long it would take for a thread to get started with rumors of a Honey Badger transfer to NDSU... at least it wasn't a thread...yet

JustinTyem
08-10-2012, 05:22 PM

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2Huhhhhh,Whos the Honey Badger???:confused:

coloradobison
08-10-2012, 05:23 PM
Huhhhhh,Whos the Honey Badger???:confused:

LSU DB Matheiu

Trumpster
08-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Huhhhhh,Whos the Honey Badger???:confused:

All I know is that he doesn't give a $#!±.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 05:48 PM
LSU DB Matheiu

As crazy as it sounds if hes planning on going FCS, who better than the defending National Champions? Play him opposite of Marcus and we have one of the best corner tandems in the nation. Realistically if he stays in the south, Sam Houston is a likely candidate. But odds are he enters the draft. He was a Heisman candidate

Wacker_in_the_Hall
08-10-2012, 07:24 PM
I dont think playing a true freshman if necessary is the end of the world.

It may not be the end of the world, but it is damn close. We do not want a true freshman playing Linebacker this fall

KSBisonFan
08-10-2012, 07:41 PM
It may not be the end of the world, but it is damn close. We do not want a true freshman playing Linebacker this fall

Couldn't agree more. Davis will be a beast but he's not ready for this level.

BisonNeil
08-11-2012, 02:20 AM
Dismissed from team during spring ball

That makes it sound like he violated team rules. I think it was academics, but I could be wrong.

BisonNeil
08-11-2012, 02:21 AM

Yeah right, until someone gets injuried. Someone always gets injured.

BisonNation11
08-11-2012, 02:57 AM
Yeah right, until someone gets injuried. Someone always gets injured.

I'm not going to be THAT guy, but I'm going to say this as carefully as I can and knock on as much wood as I can. Outside of Heagle, Jemisen, and a few on the line, I can't honestly remember anyone getting seriously injured enough to miss much playing time in the season previous to this upcoming one, and by serious I mean season ending. I could be an idiot though, and in that case I will go use my noggin to hit against wood.

reformedUNDfan
08-11-2012, 08:25 AM
I'm not going to be THAT guy, but I'm going to say this as carefully as I can and knock on as much wood as I can. Outside of Heagle, Jemisen, and a few on the line, I can't honestly remember anyone getting seriously injured enough to miss much playing time in the season previous to this upcoming one, and by serious I mean season ending. I could be an idiot though, and in that case I will go use my noggin to hit against wood.

didn't vraa and gebhart and eaves miss huge chunks of the season? I think at one point injuries even ate through the depth in the secondary.

BisonNation11
08-11-2012, 12:26 PM
didn't vraa and gebhart and eaves miss huge chunks of the season? I think at one point injuries even ate through the depth in the secondary.

I meant mainly the defense since we were talking about the linebackers. And yes there were some small holes to fill at times, but nothing significant

SamsRams
08-18-2012, 12:36 AM
according to Kolpack's article Ollman is gonna get a look at OLB

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/60592/

HandoEX
08-18-2012, 01:40 AM
according to Kolpack's article Ollman is gonna get a look at OLB

http://www.thedickinsonpress.com/event/article/id/60592/
Smart move! I've always liked rhee way he had played. Would be great to see him play more snaps!

BisonNation11
08-18-2012, 02:57 AM
I love this move! Seasoned vet that already knows the playbook inside and out, and where others are supposed to be. Look for him to play with a lot of heart and smarts out there!

WRSDBison
08-18-2012, 08:12 AM
Wow. Our LB's are all undersized as far as weight goes. I'm young but it seems like they have to be lighter now than when we were dominating the DII ranks.

westnodak93bison
08-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Speed is more important than 10lb of body weight imho.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tolnabison
08-18-2012, 02:25 PM
Beck is only 6' 207. Ollman is 5'11" 201. Really not much difference. Both players are quick twitch players that react well. Seems like when Beck was inserted into the lineup, he was in the mix on just about every play.

BisonNation11
08-18-2012, 02:31 PM
I watched the highlights of the Lehigh game last night, and to my shock, it was Mr. Olson that forced the interception for Eaves early in the game. He knows his position and he knows it well. He's a natural leader and will take over the defense the same way Evans did. Everything else is just plugging in the right pieces of the puzzle. And considering our coordinator and coaches, I don't see the LB core being a problem at all.

CaBisonFan
08-18-2012, 02:51 PM
I watched the highlights of the Lehigh game last night, and to my shock, it was Mr. Olson that forced the interception for Eaves early in the game. He knows his position and he knows it well. He's a natural leader and will take over the defense the same way Evans did. Everything else is just plugging in the right pieces of the puzzle. And considering our coordinator and coaches, I don't see the LB core being a problem at all.

....agreed....

BisonNeil
08-18-2012, 03:01 PM

The "core" has never been the problem, it is the depth, as in the lack of players who can honestly be in the rotation without significant drop off.

The strength of the defense last year is that they were two deep at every position and the defense never tired. The DL and DBs are in fine shape, but the LBs don't go six deep like they did last year. I agree the "core" starters may be every bit as good as last year (I think Willson is the toughest to replace), but the drop off is pretty severe in experience.

If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see the coaches moving a SS to OLB. Don't get me wrong, I think that is a superb move. Much better than moving a RB who has never played defense to OLB like they did in 2009. But it is a clear signal that the depth is not there at LB.

Hopefully Rodgers will be able to pick up the defense and contribute soon. Based on Kolpack's comments on the Bisonmedia blog that looks to be the case. He may very well be one of the key components to the "puzzle" you talk about.

BisonNation11
08-18-2012, 03:12 PM
The "core" has never been the problem, it is the depth, as in the lack of players who can honestly be in the rotation without significant drop off.

The strength of the defense last year is that they were two deep at every position and the defense never tired. The DL and DBs are in fine shape, but the LBs don't go six deep like they did last year. I agree the "core" starters may be every bit as good as last year (I think Willson is the toughest to replace), but the drop off is pretty severe in experience.

If that wasn't true, you wouldn't see the coaches moving a SS to OLB. Don't get me wrong, I think that is a superb move. Much better than moving a RB who has never played defense to OLB like they did in 2009. But it is a clear signal that the depth is not there at LB.

Hopefully Rodgers will be able to pick up the defense and contribute soon. Based on Kolpack's comments on the Bisonmedia blog that looks to be the case. He may very well be one of the key components to the "puzzle" you talk about.

Beck and Littlejohn were freshman last year. No experience to speak of and we all see how they contributed. I believe they recruit kids that are smart and ready to go if needed. This year will be the same as last year. We need a couple of young guys to step up, do their job, and fill in when the starters need a rest. If the team even has a glimpse of what they did last year this year, we might be seeing some pretty astonishing defensive numbers.

runtheoption
08-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow. Our LB's are all undersized as far as weight goes. I'm young but it seems like they have to be lighter now than when we were dominating the DII ranks.

Agreed. All the other position groups have generally gotten taller and heavier over the years, whereas the LB's have generally become shorter and lighter than in the DII days, but a heck of a lot faster.

I think if LB depth becomes a problem, we could see a steady dose of nickel and dime packages, and not see a drop-off at all.

BisonNeil
08-18-2012, 05:07 PM
Beck and Littlejohn were freshman last year. No experience to speak of and we all see how they contributed. I believe they recruit kids that are smart and ready to go if needed. This year will be the same as last year. We need a couple of young guys to step up, do their job, and fill in when the starters need a rest. If the team even has a glimpse of what they did last year this year, we might be seeing some pretty astonishing defensive numbers.

Obviously I hope you are right, but I am hesitant to compare the quality of any Fr from the 2011 class with the epic 2010 class. The 2010 class is carrying the Bison and may very well go down as the best recruiting class since Jeff Bentrim's class in 1983. Olson, Littlejohn and Beck were part of that class which has produced no less than 8 starters in their true Fr and RFr years along with multiple backups. The 2011 class has shown no where close to that quality.

So, while I certainly hope Dinwiddie, Scoliere and Sonnenfeld can contribute in their RFr years like Littlejohn, Olson, and Beck have but I remain skeptical solely because the coaches brought in JUCO Rodgers and have converted SS Ollman to LB. I think that tells us something.

reformedUNDfan
08-19-2012, 12:18 AM
Obviously I hope you are right, but I am hesitant to compare the quality of any Fr from the 2011 class with the epic 2010 class. The 2010 class is carrying the Bison and may very well go down as the best recruiting class since Jeff Bentrim's class in 1983. Olson, Littlejohn and Beck were part of that class which has produced no less than 8 starters in their true Fr and RFr years along with multiple backups. The 2011 class has shown no where close to that quality.

So, while I certainly hope Dinwiddie, Scoliere and Sonnenfeld can contribute in their RFr years like Littlejohn, Olson, and Beck have but I remain skeptical solely because the coaches brought in JUCO Rodgers and have converted SS Ollman to LB. I think that tells us something.Even if the 2011 class turned out to be as good as 2010, i doubt many of them would be seeing the field this early. The 2010 group had to fill many more spots early on.

HerdBot
08-19-2012, 01:48 AM
Even if the 2011 class turned out to be as good as 2010, i doubt many of them would be seeing the field this early. The 2010 group had to fill many more spots early on.

Yep. That was a product of less than stellar class that included numerous felons and all around bad players. Red shirting players is a luxury. Older stronger and smarter.

BisonNeil
09-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Great article in today's Forum about the Bison defense having a chance to go down in history as one of the great ones, such as the 1986 defense CAS played on. But, this quote concerned me a bit:

Bohl calls the starting linebackers – Grant Olson, Carlton Littlejohn and Travis Beck – “exceptional” and says the backups “are finding their way.”

When it comes to finding a weakness in the Bison defense, saying the backup linebackers are still green would probably be considered nitpicking. But overall, Hansen said injuries could play a factor in determining the fate of the defense.

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/373141/group/Sports/