PDA

View Full Version : Throwback Thursday

onbison09
08-02-2012, 08:11 PM
NDSU athletics' facebook has been doing a cool thing where they talk about a past player called throwback Thursday. I thought today's was especially awesome.
THROWBACK THURSDAY FEATURED ATHLETE - MIKE WHETSTONE
A Three-year starter for the Bison and first team All-American selection by both the AP and Kodak American Football Coaches Association his senior year. Devastating blocker who passed away from cancer just after the 1988 national championship game but first delivered an emotional message to that squad from his death bed (see below).

This message, delivered to the North Dakota State football team just before the 1988 national championship win over Portland State, is former Bison All- American Mike Whetstone’s legacy to the program he loved so much. He was an inspiration for the ’88 Bison. Whetstone died of cancer three days following the victory. This message was recorded prior to the semifinal game with Sacramento State and now hangs with his picture on a plaque in the locker room.

“Sometimes the amazing thing is I don't know what Bison Pride is myself, anyone who has been a Bison or will be a Bison will some day relate to what I’m saying.

“To me Bison Pride is not necessarily running around, being rah, rah, and jumping up and down. It’s more of a feeling you have knowing that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

“No one person is Bison Pride. It takes 48 tough bastards if you're in the playoffs and it takes 75 tough bastards during the regular season. It takes the players and coaches working together for a common good.

“Deep down, Bison Pride is the love we have for each other. I have noticed over the years that my true friends, my true life, everything evolves around Bison players and Bison people. I have friends outside of football, but for the most part, everything comes back to football, Bison football.

“The amazing thing that I have found in the last six months since discovering cancer is that people who have rallied around me the most are the Bison players and Bison alumni. I had former players come down to Rochester to visit me in the hospital--they traveled 300 miles just to visit me. I had friends from high school who were just 20 miles away, and they didn’t visit me. They just called on the phone.

“I guess to me that is what Bison Pride is all about, everybody looking out for each other. The strength of the Herd is in the Bison and the strength of the Bison is in the Herd. Bison Pride is knowing that everybody is looking out for everyone else.

“I want every Bison that’s ever been involved in the program to know that I love them. Kick some butt this weekend. We can’t let those California people think they’re better than us. Go out there and get ‘em guys.”

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/306336_10151150473729532_1544845034_n.jpg

HerdBot
08-02-2012, 08:34 PM
Awesome post.

Bison03
08-02-2012, 10:01 PM
DAMN RIGHT!! Bison Pride!!!

Ferd
08-02-2012, 10:16 PM
Is the hair on my arms supposed to stand up like this?

I've heard this story before and I my eyes still tear up.

Bison06
08-02-2012, 11:05 PM
Awesome post, when I played Mike Whetstone's Bison Pride speech was on a plaque on the wall, I loved reading it.

For the other former players who are on the board I hope this isn't revealing too much inside information because I know it is a special moment for players, but I thought I would let everyone know about "Bison Pride Speeches".

Not sure if it has always been this way, but we had the tradition of having guys who were making their first travel squad to stand up during our captain's meetings the night before the game and give a summary of their definition of Bison Pride. It was always a special moment and thinking back on some of those moments really makes me proud of the fraternity that I am a member of.

This is obviously one of the best of all time given the circumstances, but some of the speeches that I was honored to listen to are some of my favorite memories of playing for NDSU.

My favorite part about Mike Whetstone's Bison Pride letter is that everything he said that was true in 1988 was also true when I played and is no doubt still true today.

Even though the players are part of a special group, I believe the fans and boosters play a big role in all of it and can also claim to be a part of the Bison Family.

It's a great group to be a part of.

bajadanny
08-02-2012, 11:29 PM
Excellent thread, Whetstone was a hell of a player in addition to a class act.
Portland had a future pro at QB that yr as well but Iam drawing a blank on his name, played some for AZ. Getting old I guess

KSBisonFan
08-03-2012, 12:06 AM
Excellent thread, Whetstone was a hell of a player in addition to a class act.
Portland had a future pro at QB that yr as well but Iam drawing a blank on his name, played some for AZ. Getting old I guess

Great post!
Neil Lomax went to Portland St but he got drafted in '81.

WYOBISONMAN
08-03-2012, 04:17 AM
An incredible player during my undergrad days. A class act.

onbison09
08-11-2012, 03:23 AM
THROWBACK THURSDAY FEATURED ATHLETE(S) – 1986 BISON FOOTBALL TEAM

North Dakota State captured back-to-back national football championships and finished an undefeated season with a 27-7 win over NCC rival South Dakota in the 1986 NCAA Championship Game. The victory marked the Herd's sixth national football title.

How good were the Bison that year? Beano Cook of USA Network said that NDSU was the 10th best team in the nation, regardless of divisions.

The Bison had nine student-athletes earn All-America honors that season. Seven players from that senior class went on to play professional football in Jeff Bentrim, Jim Dick, Chad Stark, Tyrone Braxton, Chris Servais, Scott Schutt, and Dana Muehlasuer. The accomplished senior class of 1986 played in four national championship games, winning titles in 1983, 85, and 86. Only a Troy State field goal as time expired in the 1984 title game prevented the Herd from capturing four consecutive championships.

Among the individual honors NDSU wracked up that season was the inaugural Harlon Hill Award, presented to quarterback Jeff Bentrim as the best player in Division II football.
What are your memories of this phenomenal team, Bison fans?
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424294_10151166020144532_1991426271_n.jpg

KSBisonFan
08-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Pure dominance by that team and a thing of beauty to watch. Too bad I can't erase that miracle Troy FG from my memory....Awesome class of players!

IzzyFlexion
08-14-2012, 02:56 AM
[QUOTE=onbison09;642987]THROWBACK THURSDAY FEATURED ATHLETE(S) – 1986 BISON FOOTBALL TEAM

What are your memories of this phenomenal team, Bison fans? QUOTE]

Watching Rick Reimer (OL) carry 2 full 16 gallon kegs at the annual post spring ball "rook party". One on each shoulder like they were made of styrofoam!

b15on
08-16-2012, 04:05 PM
THROWBACK THURSDAY - MIKE WIESER, #89, TE.

A First team All-American his senior year in 2003 by The Dopke.com College Sports Report, Mike Wieser was also a first team All-North Central Conference and second team All-American by two other sources (Daktronics NCAA Division II and D2Football.com). Caught 34 passes for 395 yards and four TDs in 2003. In addition, he was selected as one of the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholars by the Black Issues in Higher Education magazine in 2003 for his outstanding academic excellence, community activism, and athletic ability. Perhaps best known among Bison fans for his acrobatic, game winning 20-yard touchdown catch on a fake field goal in the final minutes of the Herd's 25-24 victory over Montana on Sept. 6, 2003. Wieser passed away in February 2009 from complications from Wilson's Disease.

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/391184_10151182158164532_996013913_n.jpg

344Johnson
08-16-2012, 04:15 PM
What are your memories of this phenomenal team, Bison fans?
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/424294_10151166020144532_1991426271_n.jpg

62-13 blowout on an old VHS tape. That was one of my favorite tapes to watch when i was little.

onbison09
08-17-2012, 05:49 AM

A First team All-American his senior year in 2003 by The Dopke.com College Sports Report, Mike Wieser was also a first team All-North Central Conference and second team All-American by two other sources (Daktronics NCAA Division II and D2Football.com). Caught 34 passes for 395 yards and four TDs in 2003. In addition, he was selected as one of the Arthur Ashe Jr. Sports Scholars by the Black Issues in Higher Education magazine in 2003 for his outstanding academic excellence, community activism, and athletic ability. Perhaps best known among Bison fans for his acrobatic, game winning 20-yard touchdown catch on a fake field goal in the final minutes of the Herd's 25-24 victory over Montana on Sept. 6, 2003. Wieser passed away in February 2009 from complications from Wilson's Disease.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.0.240.240/p403x403/391184_10151182158164532_996013913_n.jpg

Bison06
08-17-2012, 02:53 PM

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc7/c0.0.240.240/p403x403/391184_10151182158164532_996013913_n.jpg

Weez, was one of the very first guys I met when I was on my recruiting visit. I know people say these things often after someone passes and sometimes it is a bit disingenuous, but Mike really was a great guy. He treated everyone he met with respect and always had a smile on his face. I really enjoyed the time I was able to spend with him.

That catch against Montana was the beginning of the re-birth of Bison Football and the importance of that game and that catch can never be overstated IMO.