PDA

View Full Version : Kolpack's Call To Arms

Tatanka
07-29-2012, 06:08 PM
http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/369042/group/Sports/

Right target, not exactly the rationale I expected.

I would add that having a clearly outdated building on the state's largest campus (if you go by number of full time students ON CAMPUS) that needs renovation, and further having that renovation paid for by private donations but being $2-3M short at a time of unprecedented prosperity in the state while pork projects in Mayville, Valley City, Williston, and Grand Forks (and others) proceed in lieu of a state contribution to said building is reprehensible. NDSU/Fargo gets screwed because they seem to be able to raise alternate funds. Pathetic.

I would target that issue rather than ask for an exception to the "raise the money before you build" rule.

Still, not a bad article.

HerdBot
07-29-2012, 07:25 PM
I completely agree with him. The state hasn't paid for an athletic building since the original BSA in 1969. The place is crumbling and dangerous. We've already raised 30 million. They are remodeling a gymnasium for one of the smaller state schools with tax money. The state needs to be a good landlord. Not a slum lord.

I am sick of waiting and Im sick of having to look to corporate sponsors to do the job of the state. 2 million is chump change to the state but significant money for donors

Bison03
07-29-2012, 07:53 PM
Totally agree with Kolpack 110%. Let the construction begin.

westnodak93bison
07-29-2012, 08:52 PM
No kidding. Get it started already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

roadwarrior
07-29-2012, 09:04 PM
The financial statement of the NDSU Development Foundation as of 6/30/2011 shows $17,000,366 of unrestricted net assets. I don't see why the foundation board couldn't advance the final $2,000,000 needed to get the project started.

BisonNation11
07-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Simply put, I agree whole-heartedly with this article. GET IT STARTED! Do food and beverage sales get taxed? Depending on who is building the new arena, do their incomes not get taxed? Do you pay taxes on supplies, rental equipment, lunches, lodging, etc.? The money will be coming back for years to come. Get a shovel, spray paint it gold, and let's do this!

DIBISON
07-30-2012, 02:19 AM
The financial statement of the NDSU Development Foundation as of 6/30/2011 shows $17,000,366 of unrestricted net assets. I don't see why the foundation board couldn't advance the final $2,000,000 needed to get the project started.

I've thought that same thing over the years. Why can't the Development Foundation be part of the financing package for the BSA remodel?

Answer Guy
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM
That’s what you’re going with, Kolpack? Really?

Calling out the board members by name for a rule that you say you agree with? Using an example of an “exception” being made for a Heritage Center project that has nothing to do with higher education? And you expect people to believe that the board decided where to move the weight-training area to?

It didn’t take Road long to come up with a solution, having the Foundation guarantee the rest of the money. Or NDSU could cut the project back to the $30 million they already have. With more than 10 seconds of thought, you probably could have come up with an idea or two.

Otherwise you just sound like a whiny little brat that didn’t clean his room, but still wants his ice cream.

I’d like to say you’re better than this...

bisonaudit
07-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Can we discuss this crazy idea that you should actually have the money in hand before you start constructing a 40-year public asset?

That's on the short list of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I understand why it happens. Politically it's a lot easier to say, 'we don't have the money for that idea' than to tell people that you don't agree with them or that you don't think it's the right priority. But when money is roughly as cheap as its ever been and the state of ND is roughly the best credit risk on the planet it's pretty weak excuse.

NorthernBison
07-30-2012, 07:29 PM
Can we discuss this crazy idea that you should actually have the money in hand before you start constructing a 40-year public asset?

That's on the short list of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I understand why it happens. Politically it's a lot easier to say, 'we don't have the money for that idea' than to tell people that you don't agree with them or that you don't think it's the right priority. But when money is roughly as cheap as its ever been and the state of ND is the roughly the best credit risk on the planet it's pretty weak excuse.

It doesn't matter what the State's credit rating is for this project. The State has been crystal clear all along that they are not spending a dime on the project (that's worth a whole different discussion). The State has no intention of obligating itself to this project so they simply said raise ALL the money and then you can start. Kind of late now to be arguing about a rule that was known from the start.

I thought Kolpack was smarter than that.

NDSU can't borrow the money because that's the same as the State obligating itself. So, borrowing it from the Foundation is a non-starter.

I assume the Foundation could donate the needed funds with no agreement to be reimbursed. (although maybe NDSU could agree to rebate the $2 Million if they raise it)

bisonaudit
07-30-2012, 08:01 PM
It doesn't matter what the State's credit rating is for this project. The State has been crystal clear all along that they are not spending a dime on the project (that's worth a whole different discussion). The State has no intention of obligating itself to this project so they simply said raise ALL the money and then you can start. Kind of late now to be arguing about a rule that was known from the start.

I thought Kolpack was smarter than that.

NDSU can't borrow the money because that's the same as the State obligating itself. So, borrowing it from the Foundation is a non-starter.

I assume the Foundation could donate the needed funds with no agreement to be reimbursed. (although maybe NDSU could agree to rebate the $2 Million if they raise it)

Sure. I probably shoe horned a pet peeve of mine into a context that it doesn't exactly fit. It's just frustrating to see NDSU denied access to debt financing for infrastructure across the board when I think that's the proper mechanism to finance the construction of long-term assets, especially in the current economic environment.

I think it's just weaselly to say "If you raise the money you can build it." Instead of saying "Yes, we're rolling in it right now, and yes we can access capital for less than anyone this side of Tim Geithner but your proposed new College of X Building that will benefit the citizens of this fine state for the next century it's not a priority for us right now because we think that money would be better used on A, B, and C; go do it yourself with your own money but come back and ask permission first."

I mean that's what's actually going on when they waive the back of their hand at you and say "We grant you permission to build that building that you've already raised all the money for."

I don't think Kolpack is ignorant of that. I feel like he understands the politics. I just think he should have taken it farther. He weaseled out of his own argument. Some line about requiring the money up front making a certain amount of sense or something along those lines. It doesn't. It's a stupid policy.

NorthernBison
07-30-2012, 08:23 PM
I'd love to hear an explanation of where the SBoHE draws the line on refusing to funds sports facilities. How, exactly, does that work?

NDSU and UND both had rather large projects approved under the stipulation that ALL the money had to be raised before construction could begin. I believe there are other NDUS institutions where money is being spent to improve/renovate existing facilites. Is that because the SBoHE recognizes that there actually is a need for these facilites for more than just housing sports teams?

If so, why isn't it permissable to provide "some" state funding for projects like these at the two largest Universities? After all, I'm sure the facilites will be used for more than just Athletic Department events.

imabison
07-30-2012, 08:27 PM
I'd love to hear an explanation of where the SBoHE draws the line on refusing to funds sports facilities. How, exactly, does that work?

NDSU and UND both had rather large projects approved under the stipulation that ALL the money had to be raised before construction could begin. I believe there are other NDUS institutions where money is being spent to improve/renovate existing facilites. Is that because the SBoHE recognizes that there actually is a need for these facilites for more than just housing sports teams?

If so, why isn't it permissable to provide "some" state funding for projects like these at the two largest Universities? After all, I'm sure the facilites will be used for more than just Athletic Department events.

Legislative pressure???

East vs West
US vs Them
We vs They
Big vs Little

Take your pick.

344Johnson
07-30-2012, 10:03 PM
Tell the state that NDSU will graciously allow the State Basketball Tourney to be held in his new facility if they chip a bit of money in. Also tell them that the current BSA is an eyesore on the state and makes us as a whole look bad.

KilldeerBison
07-31-2012, 12:05 AM
Tell the state that NDSU will graciously allow the State Basketball Tourney to be held in his new facility if they chip a bit of money in. Also tell them that the current BSA is an eyesore on the state and makes us as a whole look bad.

Sounds good to me! But, if the state used this criterion for eliminating or getting rid of stuff, then wouldn’t they also be putting some of the legislators in jeopardy of being thrown overboard? :)

http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l559/phedger/AlCarlsonSioux.jpg

NorthernBison
07-31-2012, 12:09 AM

You're kidding right? The B is the only tourney people go to and about 99% of the people HATE having it in Fargo. Bismarck is the ONLY real option for it.

I know why the two large schools can't get athletic facility funding and it isn't likely to change. My earlier post was basically just lamenting the double standard.

Grizzled
07-31-2012, 01:53 AM
I know I am in the minority on this but I don't want the state spending money on athletic facilities at NDSU or the school to the north. There are so many projects around the state that we need to get started and get funded to improve the quality of life for the people in those areas. Our surplus could be gone in a heartbeat if anyone would get off their hands and put it to use. Those who want these projects can donate to the project like the rest of us.

Plus, where do you draw the line? Last I heard UND was $4 million from their desired indoor practice facility. No way the state is opening a can of worms by letting one start and not the other.

NDSUstudent
08-01-2012, 12:51 AM
I think any state university should have access to low interest loans from the bank of ND for some construction projects. The need to have all the cash on hand is ridiculous and completely unrealistic. The state needs to find some kind of balance in how these construction projects are financed.

NorthernBison
08-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I think any state university should have access to low interest loans from the bank of ND for some construction projects. The need to have all the cash on hand is ridiculous and completely unrealistic. The state needs to find some kind of balance in how these construction projects are financed.

Your first sentence makes no sense. I agree with the sentiment in the remainder of your post.

NDSUstudent
08-01-2012, 02:11 AM
I'm just saying we have billions sitting in our state bank, lets put some of it to good use.

That said we could have trillions in the bank and I doubt things would change. The entire system and way the state approaches higher ed needs a complete overhaul, of course that isn't exactly news to anyone here. I'm just sick of being frustrated, it is too bad some of the legislators can't come to NDSU and see for themselves just how badly the school needs to get some of these construction projects moving.

Too bad most would rather sit on their soapbox and bitch about our president flying in a foundation owned plane or how an ipad was bought with student fees or whatever else instead of doing something about the major issues that are facing the school and university system as a whole. While I'm glad our legislators want to make sure our university is responsible in how it spends money I'd just once like to see a legislative leader talk about how important NDSU is to the state and why sometimes it is a good thing to spend money in trying to improve the place.

bisonaudit
08-01-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm just saying we have billions sitting in our state bank, lets put some of it to good use.

That said we could have trillions in the bank and I doubt things would change. The entire system and way the state approaches higher ed needs a complete overhaul, of course that isn't exactly news to anyone here. I'm just sick of being frustrated, it is too bad some of the legislators can't come to NDSU and see for themselves just how badly the school needs to get some of these construction projects moving.

Too bad most would rather sit on their soapbox and bitch about our president flying in a foundation owned plane or how an ipad was bought with student fees or whatever else instead of doing something about the major issues that are facing the school and university system as a whole. While I'm glad our legislators want to make sure our university is responsible in how it spends money I'd just once like to see a legislative leader talk about how important NDSU is to the state and why sometimes it is a good thing to spend money in trying to improve the place.

On a macro level I think that the state is being fairly responsible. What you want to do right now with the economy going so well is grow government slower than the private economy. Put the breaks on just a little bit rather than plowing the surpluses right back into the economy and heating things up even more. So the bar should be high right now for where money gets spent. I think it's clear that they need to spend on maintaining and improving infrastructure especially in the west and they need a better more sustainable mechanism to fund that going forward. The issue I have is that Bismarck doesn't seem to see Higher Ed as a good investment and I think that is totally wrong headed. If they don't want to kick in $2 million for an athletic facility or allow construction to proceed with out it I can understand why they don't think that should be a priority, but to me there's no excuse for their attitude toward infrastructure and deferred maintenance that benefit the broader University community and ultimately the state as a whole for decades to come.

NorthernBison
08-01-2012, 02:33 PM

The Bank of North Dakota, at year end, had total assets of $5.37 Billion. The loan portfolio was about $3 Billion. Total Capital was $400 Million and Earnings came in about $70 Million. FWIW, the Bank makes four primary types of loans (Commercial, Student, Home, and Agriculture). Much of this is done as a participant with Commercial Banks in order to foster Economic Development.

The majority of the Bank deposits are Interest Bearing Accounts for State and Political Subdivisions.

The State doesn't LEND money to NDSU or any other University. They could APPROPRIATE funds for projects or allow for BONDING to finance projects. They currently do that every session. All projects are prioritized by the SBoHE and final say goes to the Legislature.

I'm sure supporters of every school have issues with what has been decided.

dragonsfan
08-01-2012, 03:34 PM
im curious why there isnt more public outrage (from bison fans) about this on local media. this article is all i have seen, will this bsa project get done? can someone honestly say yes?

roadwarrior
08-01-2012, 03:45 PM
I'm curious why more Bison fans haven't made a contribution to this project. I think everyone realizes what the conditions are now. I think collectively we spent about $5 million just to see the game in Frisco. It wouldn't take much to get this last $2 million.

NorthernBison
08-01-2012, 04:04 PM
im curious why there isnt more public outrage (from bison fans) about this on local media. this article is all i have seen, will this bsa project get done? can someone honestly say yes?

Outrage about what?

Approval was given for the project with the stipulation that funds needed to be raised before construction could begin. Same conditions were applied to the UND Indoor Practice Facility.

When we get the final $2 Million, we can start. Pretty simple concept.

SlickVic
08-01-2012, 06:14 PM
This is bs I've done my time at the BSA build it now $2mill is chump T Denny Sanford spent that last night at that shindig. Get him on da phone asap