PDA

View Full Version : 2012 roster

westnodak93bison
07-04-2012, 03:16 PM
http://www.gobison.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&KEY=&SPID=695&SPSID=11845.

Looks like some nice improvement with playing weight for many of the guys. Jim Kramer and his staff sure seems to do a good job getting these guys physically ready.

Herd
07-04-2012, 04:46 PM
It is great to see the incoming Freshman listed on the roster, but I won't sleep well until Crocket and Dinwiddie (RBs) are listed and confirmed as eligible. We are extremely thin at RB without them. The potential of this team is unlimited if Crocket is on the field.

westnodak93bison
07-04-2012, 05:10 PM
It is great to see the incoming Freshman listed on the roster, but I won't sleep well until Crocket and Dinwiddie (RBs) are listed and confirmed as eligible. We are extremely thin at RB without them. The potential of this team is unlimited if Crocket is on the field.

It will be nice to have Crockett and Dinwiddie at RB for depth but Lang and Jones are definitely capable backs.

roadwarrior
07-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Breakdown by class:

FR - 17
RFR - 22
SO - 16
JR - 29
SR - 8

Hambone
07-04-2012, 06:13 PM
While he's not small by any means in general, I was surprised Josh Colville wasn't closer to the 300 pound range. Wonder if maybe that could signal a move to the DL for him. Granted, he's still young, but I thought he'd put on more weight.

Also, are there any freshmen that were expected but aren't listed for you guys?

roadwarrior
07-04-2012, 06:18 PM

I doubt the roster is complete. It has already been mentioned in the Forum that Grant Maris has enrolled in summer school and is working out, but he is not listed on the roster (maybe because he is a walkon?). And if there are incoming freshmen that have not enrolled in summer school (or have not cleared the NCAA clearinghouse), they are probably not listed yet either.

Hambone
07-04-2012, 06:19 PM
I doubt the roster is complete. It has already been mentioned in the Forum that Grant Maris has enrolled in summer school and is working out, but he is not listed on the roster (maybe because he is a walkon?). And if there are incoming freshmen that have not enrolled in summer school, they are probably not listed yet either.

I was thinking that most that sign LOI get included at this stage, and it's the walkons that wouldn't be. But maybe I'm wrong.

HerdBot
07-04-2012, 06:23 PM
Looks good. Most of the D-line has added weight except Juckem and Drevlow who are down. Both were injured.

The biggest gainers would be
Brian Schaetz who went from 255 to 280 and his frame reminds me of Gratzek
Leighton Talmadge went from 225 to 250

Interestingly enough Jacob Lesar dropped weight and is below 300

Sonnenfeld is listed as a linebacker now

JustinTyem
07-04-2012, 08:38 PM
How about TE Luke Albers put aleast 24lbs in at 252ln now,last season he was a small 228lb.

Scooter1
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
While he's not small by any means in general, I was surprised Josh Colville wasn't closer to the 300 pound range. Wonder if maybe that could signal a move to the DL for him. Granted, he's still young, but I thought he'd put on more weight.

I was hoping for him to be a little bigger but I found some interresting numbers when I compared him to some other notable players from the recent teams. They seem to be the type of players that are putting on the right type of weight as opposed to just adding bulk. Let's hope Josh falls into this category.

Joe Lund. 6'2 285 fr
Joe Lund. 6'2 287 RFR
Joe Lund. 6'2 298 SO
Joe Lund 6'2 302 JR
Joe Lund 6'2 304 SR

Ryan Foster 6'2 291 FR
Ryan Foster 6'2 284 RFR
Ryan Foster 6'2 290 SO
Ryan Foster 6'2 295 JR
Ryan Foster 6'2 304 SR

Jesse Hinz 6'3 284 FR
Jesse Hinz 6'3 288 SO
Jesse Hinz 6'3 291 JR

Paul Cornick 6'5 295 FR
Paul Cornick 6'5 290 RFR
Paul Cornick 6'5 295 SO
Paul Cornick 6'6 305 JR
Paul Cornick 6'6 309 SR

Herd
07-04-2012, 09:15 PM
It will be nice to have Crockett and Dinwiddie at RB for depth but Lang and Jones are definitely capable backs.

Going into the season with 3 RB's? Bad idea. Crockett isn't being brought in to play behind Lang or Jones. He will be the clear #2 the moment he step on the field.

HerdBot
07-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I was hoping for him to be a little bigger but I found some interresting numbers when I compared him to some other notable players from the recent teams. They seem to be the type of players that are putting on the right type of weight as opposed to just adding bulk. Let's hope Josh falls into this category.

Joe Lund. 6'2 285 fr
Joe Lund. 6'2 287 RFR
Joe Lund. 6'2 298 SO
Joe Lund 6'2 302 JR
Joe Lund 6'2 304 SR

Ryan Foster 6'2 291 FR
Ryan Foster 6'2 284 RFR
Ryan Foster 6'2 290 SO
Ryan Foster 6'2 295 JR
Ryan Foster 6'2 304 SR

Jesse Hinz 6'3 284 FR
Jesse Hinz 6'3 288 SO
Jesse Hinz 6'3 291 JR

Paul Cornick 6'5 295 FR
Paul Cornick 6'5 290 RFR
Paul Cornick 6'5 295 SO
Paul Cornick 6'6 305 JR
Paul Cornick 6'6 309 SR

From what I understand if the player is a bit chubby, something more common for lineman - they drop some weight initially and add muscle on top. The guys who came in and gained a ton of weight were probably skinnier to begin with so its all about adding weight.

I think any player who loses weight is probably in ten times the shape and stronger at the lower weight.

BisonNeil
07-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Going into the season with 3 RB's? Bad idea. Crockett isn't being brought in to play behind Lang or Jones. He will be the clear #2 the moment he step on the field.

You may be right, and I hope you are. But, he has not played organized football for two seasons so there will be rust to shake off. Also, if you talk to DJ and any other running back they will tell you that picking up the blocking required for a RB and the blitzes is no easy deal. I am skeptical that he will come in and blow the doors off of Jones who has been in the system and learning it. I wouldn't sell Matt's abilities, and the coaching he has gotten the last two years, short.

Don't get me wrong, I believe Crockett will get to be the #2 eventually as the season progresses, I am just not sure it will be from "the moment he step(s) on the field".

BisonNation11
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
Anybody hear of a transfer from Bemidgi State named Brock Russell? Was looking up videos on youtube searching for "ndsu football" this week. He claims to be on the team as a center switching from nose guard promoting Blue Collar Football...

westnodak93bison
07-06-2012, 12:21 PM
Do freshman have to be enrolled in summer school to be listed on this roster? What is the status of Crockett and Deveon Dinwiddie?

BisonNeil
07-06-2012, 02:29 PM
Do freshman have to be enrolled in summer school to be listed on this roster? What is the status of Crockett and Deveon Dinwiddie?

I don't know about Dinwiddie, but I believe that Crockett is still not technically eligible until Fall semester starts. If my understanding of academic eligibility requirements is correct, and assuming he made adequate progress this past year, then he can be reinstated this fall term, and not before. Therefore, he is not able to participate with team drills this summer. Same would be true for walk-ons, not to be confused with PWO. Walk-ons cannot be listed or participate until school is in session this fall. At least, that is my understanding.

And yes, any player, Fr or Sr, need to be enrolled in summer session, some PE class, to participate in the summer workouts. As for Fr listed but not on campus, the fact that they are on the roster, I believe, means they have been formally accepted to attend the university in fall semester.

Bisonwinagn
07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
What do you mean by summer team drills and workouts? I was under the assumption that they were all voluntary and no coaches were allowed to be involved. Meaning anyone can work out with the team in the summer because it's not organized by NDSU. Can someone clarify?

Hammersmith
07-06-2012, 05:31 PM
What do you mean by summer team drills and workouts? I was under the assumption that they were all voluntary and no coaches were allowed to be involved. Meaning anyone can work out with the team in the summer because it's not organized by NDSU. Can someone clarify?

13.11.3.7.2 Voluntary Summer Conditioning—Championship Subdivision Football. [FCS] In championship subdivision football, a prospective student-athlete may engage in voluntary summer workouts conducted by an institution’s strength and conditioning coach with department-wide duties or a countable coach who is a certified strength and conditioning coach, and may receive workout apparel (on an issuance and retrieval basis), provided he:

(a) Has signed a National Letter of Intent or, for those institutions not using the National Letter of Intent or in the case of a four-year college prospective student-athlete, the prospective student-athlete has signed the institution’s written offer of admission and/or financial aid; or
(b) Is enrolled in the institution’s summer term prior to the student’s initial full-time enrollment at the certifying institution (see Bylaws 13.2.7.2 and 17.9.6). [A prospective student-athlete eligible to participate pursuant to this provision may do so only during the period of the institution’s summer term or terms (opening day of classes through last day of final exams) in which he is enrolled.]

13.11.3.7.2.1 Voluntary Conditioning Outside a Term of Enrollment. A prospective student-athlete who is eligible to engage in voluntary summer workouts conducted by an institution’s strength and conditioning coach or a countable coach who is a certified strength and conditioning coach pursuant to Bylaw 13.11.3.7.2-(b) may participate in voluntary weightlifting or conditioning activities (e.g., conditioning on the track) on the institution’s campus in the presence of (as opposed to conducted by) the institution’s strength and conditioning coach during the periods of the summer that are outside the actual duration of the term or terms in which the prospective student-athlete is enrolled, provided such activities are not prearranged, the strength and conditioning coach is performing normal duties and responsibilities in the supervision of the weight room or facility in use (e.g., track) and does not work directly with the prospective student-athlete.

Simple, right?