PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports 2012 FCS Preseason Predictions

Bison-Knuckle
07-02-2012, 01:19 PM
I know preseason predictions mean squat, but they can be fun to look at.

http://www.athlonsports.com/college-football/2012-college-football-fcs-top-25-and-predictions

They predict us at #3 (behind Georgia Southern for some reason?)
They also predict us winning the MVC

Bison Dan
07-02-2012, 01:28 PM
5 MVFC teams in the top 25 and only 3 BSC teams. Says something for the respect of conferences. Seems like the little sisters of the poor didn't help out the BSC for quality only quanitity.

Bison-Knuckle
07-02-2012, 01:39 PM
5 MVFC teams in the top 25 and only 3 BSC teams. Says something for the respect of conferences. Seems like the little sisters of the poor didn't help out the BSC for quality only quanitity.
I was a little suprised about how much love they give Indiana State. They're solid, but I see them finishing 5th in the MVFC (NDSU, YSU, UNI, Ill. St.)....and just missing the playoffs again.

bisonmike2
07-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I don't see Montana doing very well this year. Are they even done sorting out that whole rape case mess?

reformedUNDfan
07-02-2012, 02:58 PM
shsu is either going to have to go on the road in the playoffs if it can't beat either baylor or A&M. Not sure I like their odds. Not sure what GSU has done to deserve the nod over NDSU. I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter except in message boards.

BisonFan02
07-02-2012, 03:04 PM
4 MVFC teams in the post season, not including UNI....that must sting for the Panthers knowing they will finish 5th or below in the conference. :D

reformedUNDfan
07-02-2012, 03:12 PM
the trolling opportunities if UNI doesn't make the playoffs and ndsu wins another title will be tremendous.

bisonmike2
07-02-2012, 03:24 PM
shsu is either going to have to go on the road in the playoffs if it can't beat either baylor or A&M. Not sure I like their odds. Not sure what GSU has done to deserve the nod over NDSU. I am pretty sure that it doesn't matter except in message boards.

I agree with you on SHSU and for GSU...buttbama. GSU is good and they'll beat many people on athleticism alone but it's already been proven that good athletes and a solid game plan can shut them down.

heffray
07-02-2012, 05:20 PM
SHSU and GSU over NDSU? I guess they don't buy into the whole "you're number 1 until you're beaten after winning the championship." I guess I happen to agree with that, but when the exact 2 teams you beat in order to earn that championship get the nod over you, it's a little puzzling... it begs the question, if not NDSU or the other 2 already mentioned, who would deserve a legit nod at the number 1 spot?

MNLonghorn10
07-02-2012, 06:40 PM
the trolling opportunities if UNI doesn't make the playoffs and ndsu wins another title will be tremendous.
look. uni has been unsuccessful in the last 33 or 34 years of trying to win a d1-aa, or fcs national championship. ndsu did it in 4 years and could very well see another on in the next 2 years.

that has to suck.

it's even reminded in my sig from a uni fan.

BisonNation11
07-02-2012, 07:00 PM
Personally I hope we don't get the number 1 poll position. You want to give the team fuel to make another run, there would be a good start. The team deserves to be ranked above those two teams after beating them, but now they have something to prove. With last year's success being "underdogs," I would gladly play as an underdog with a chip on our shoulder.

perthbison
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
SHSU brings the whole team back so I can see the point of their reasoning. We'll see when they play the games.

CaBisonFan
07-03-2012, 12:26 AM
look. uni has been unsuccessful in the last 33 or 34 years of trying to win a d1-aa, or fcs national championship. ndsu did it in 4 years and could very well see another on in the next 2 years.

that has to suck.

it's even reminded in my sig from a uni fan.

Add their DII years when we were winning national championships. DII in that era was today's FCS.

We'll make a deep playoff run again. If the offense steps it up, we'll repeat.

DjKyRo
07-03-2012, 01:03 AM
Regarding Indiana State, the combination of Obaseki (senior) on the d-line and Shakir Bell driving the offense makes them a tough opponent even with losing my man-crush Ronnie Fouch. I'd pick them over just about any team in the BSC (including Montana) but the MVFC is going to be such a beast this year that I can't see them finishing better than 5th. I think this is the year that the Valley really asserts itself as being at or near the top of the upper-tier conferences in the FCS.

SamsRams
07-03-2012, 01:29 AM
4 MVFC teams in the post season, not including UNI....that must sting for the Panthers knowing they will finish 5th or below in the conference. :D

I highly doubt they are saying UNI will finish 5th in the conference. But I bet they are smart enough to look at their schedule and see how difficult it will be for them to make the playoffs. It is very possible they finish 2nd in conference and dont make playoffs. Central St doesnt count and Iowa and Wisconsin are losses. That leaves them 8 conference games to go 7-1 and be playoff eligible. So the thought that they go 6-2 in conference and dont make the playoffs is exactly where I have them.

But then it also surprises me they didnt use the same format when looking at SHSU. Baylor and A&M are most likely losses, Incarnate World doesnt count and again they are left with trying to go 7-1 in conference. Central Arkansas on the road is no slouch and @Lamar might give them a run

UncleBuck
07-03-2012, 01:57 AM
What I'm going to watch this year:

I'm curious to see if SHSU opponents use the Bison defensive playbook, and shut them down this year.
I think Georgia Southern is due for a letdown.
Will Eastern Washington make a comeback and contend.
Will Northern Iowa really be fifth in the MVC, or better yet, lower?
Can NDSU repeat on the way to a threepeat?
What team will rise and contend that no one forsaw?
Will it be UND? NOT!!

HerdBot
07-03-2012, 05:34 AM
Where is UND? With the media shit storm after they sent the banner to UND- at least someone figured it out that there are 2 teams in North Dakota.

reformedUNDfan
07-03-2012, 06:14 AM

cal poly would be a good possibility for that. Wouldn't be surprised if they sneak out with a BSC championship and a seed. Not saying that it will, but they are good enough to pull it off with their schedule. Stony brook isn't off the radar, but they certainly are better than 16th. They have a very strong shot at going undefeated in conference again, and are go enough to beat either of their FBS opponents (army and syracuse). Likely a title contender if they can grab a seed, which I think is pretty plausible.

Bison03
07-03-2012, 03:01 PM
What I'm going to watch this year:

I'm curious to see if SHSU opponents use the Bison defensive playbook, and shut them down this year.
I think Georgia Southern is due for a letdown.
Will Eastern Washington make a comeback and contend.
Will Northern Iowa really be fifth in the MVC, or better yet, lower?
Can NDSU repeat on the way to a threepeat?
Will it be UND? NOT!!

I think we're talking a minimum "8-Peat"!!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_VklpxaP2nEQ/TOXAsZbT0wI/AAAAAAAAAI4/ZBx4YETNUlc/s1600/Da%2BBears%2B%28Good%29.jpg

BisonNeil
07-04-2012, 02:08 AM
I think for a major sports publication like this or any other it will be tough for any of them to look at the number of returning starters for SHSU and not believe they are an automatic. Hell, they might be.

I am okay with NDSU being #3. I actually would not have been surpirsed if they had been lower. Thirteen returning starters has proven very difficult for any DI football team to overcome. Are the Bison experienced? Yes, but not at every position. The paucity of experience at WR and back up RB is likely a weakness in the eyes of many pollsters. We'll see. Bohl seems confident, at least two national reporters have quoted him as saying he expects a deep run. That works for me.

katstrapper
07-19-2012, 12:48 AM
Hello Bison fans. Hard to believe it has been almost 8 months since the big game in Frisco. I have watched the game over and over and over and it still gives me a pain in my stomach.
Anyway, on to 2012. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of changes in offense have been made with the new OC Doug Ruse now in Huntsville. From what we have heard and seen thus far, looks like the Kat O will be implementing the no huddle into regular offensive packages along with stuff they ran last year. I look for the passing game to be opened up more. Coach Fritz has recruited quite a few WR's the last few years so it will be interesting to see what we have in that regards. As far as everything else, Kats will be scary good on defense this year. I actually think the D could be better than last years unit, only losing two starting linebackers in Will Henry and Kash David.

The 8 games on the road will be a challenge, but remember two of those games are in Houston which is only about a 30-40 minute drive so I dont really consider it a road game. Kats will need to run table in SLC again if they lose both to Baylor and A&M, but I believe will be in hunt for a seed for sure.

Ready for some football! Congrats again on the National Championship!!

EndZoneQB
07-19-2012, 01:07 AM
Hello Bison fans. Hard to believe it has been almost 8 months since the big game in Frisco. I have watched the game over and over and over and it still gives me a pain in my stomach.
Anyway, on to 2012. Its going to be interesting to see what kind of changes in offense have been made with the new OC Doug Ruse now in Huntsville. From what we have heard and seen thus far, looks like the Kat O will be implementing the no huddle into regular offensive packages along with stuff they ran last year. I look for the passing game to be opened up more. Coach Fritz has recruited quite a few WR's the last few years so it will be interesting to see what we have in that regards. As far as everything else, Kats will be scary good on defense this year. I actually think the D could be better than last years unit, only losing two starting linebackers in Will Henry and Kash David.

The 8 games on the road will be a challenge, but remember two of those games are in Houston which is only about a 30-40 minute drive so I dont really consider it a road game. Kats will need to run table in SLC again if they lose both to Baylor and A&M, but I believe will be in hunt for a seed for sure.

I'll be honest, I was impressed with your team, from top to bottom. I sort of thought that who ever pulled you guys in the bracket was getting the easiest path, but you proved you belonged. I have a feeling both of teams will be a "final four" team, at worst.

MNLonghorn10
07-19-2012, 02:41 AM
baylor post griffin is pretty vulnerable with your talented team.

i wish a&m game was in september. but i wont be shocked if you beat aggy either since theyll only have likely 2-3 wins by november.

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 02:50 AM
A forgotten detail...a rather large one that a lot of people don't get...

...we are North Dakota State.

EndZoneQB
07-19-2012, 03:12 AM
A forgotten detail...a rather large one that a lot of people don't get...

Where do you come up with this stuff?

DjKyRo
07-19-2012, 03:18 AM

MIND BLOWN

http://i.imgur.com/9iOLb.png

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 04:08 AM
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Oh...thou of little faith. Do you actually believe the stuff that outsiders write about the Bison?

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 04:11 AM
MIND BLOWN

http://i.imgur.com/9iOLb.png

Did I write something before you again?...:facepalm2:

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 05:04 AM
So now we're down to eleven starters returning. Hmmm...oh well...it won't matter.

Personally...I don't care if we're ranked 30th to start the year. What I see is a team that has unfinished business...with many leaders returning...not just 2 or 3 guys. The Bison relearned the championship philosophy this past year. They learned that a season is built one game at a time...but more importantly, they learned how to control a game with the right blend of offense and defense. Brock learned the most about controlling the pace of a game. That's hard to teach. He simply has 'it.'

No other team in the FCS has that. No other team will be as hungry as the 2012 team is. They want to be known as one of the real dynasty teams...not just a one-year champion. The pressure is on...but it's the right kind of pressure. The universe is right again. It's what any great team...and any good player wants.

The Bison will play at a very, very high level to begin the year. The biggest game of the year is in Iowa. That's more unfinished business...to win on the road against UNI. The Bison want it bad. If they get that, then they can concentrate on winning the conference and getting the home playoffs back. If we get that, then we repeat.

Bison-Knuckle
07-19-2012, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;637963]So now we're down to eleven starters returning. Hmmm...oh well...it won't matter. QUOTE]

I guess what makes me most confident about the 2012 season is our returning core on defense. I think Wilson and Evans will be greatly missed (Bohl better find a leader), but I think our D is very deep with extremely capable backups at every position. I believe our secondary could possibly be the best in the nation. If our D can put the clamps down on other teams to start the 2012 season, it will give our O a few games to "gel"...the O lost some skilled players (McNorton, Halloway, Veldman) and some beasts (Cornik, Richards), I wouldn't be surprised if we see the O struggle to find its identity for a couple games. Hope I'm wrong about the O, but that' just how I feel.

ndsubison1
07-19-2012, 08:25 PM

thats what you said about frisco too! :D

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
[QUOTE=CaBisonFan;637963]So now we're down to eleven starters returning. Hmmm...oh well...it won't matter. QUOTE]

I guess what makes me most confident about the 2012 season is our returning core on defense. I think Wilson and Evans will be greatly missed (Bohl better find a leader), but I think our D is very deep with extremely capable backups at every position. I believe our secondary could possibly be the best in the nation. If our D can put the clamps down on other teams to start the 2012 season, it will give our O a few games to "gel"...the O lost some skilled players (McNorton, Halloway, Veldman) and some beasts (Cornik, Richards), I wouldn't be surprised if we see the O struggle to find its identity for a couple games. Hope I'm wrong about the O, but that' just how I feel.

...I agree...

Tatanka
07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
...I agree...

With your own post? ;)

KSBisonFan
07-19-2012, 10:25 PM
With your own post? ;)

I guess that's better than had he disagreed??? What just happened?

CaBisonFan
07-19-2012, 11:14 PM
I guess that's better than had he disagreed??? What just happened?

Whoops...I was replying to Bison-Knuckle...:rofl:

DjKyRo
07-20-2012, 02:04 AM
The biggest game of the year is in Iowa. That's more unfinished business...to win on the road against UNI. The Bison want it bad. If they get that, then they can concentrate on winning the conference and getting the home playoffs back. If we get that, then we repeat.

Could not agree with the above more. After being put on blast for saying that the UNI game last season was bigger than Minnesota, I'm sticking to my guns and saying that the toughest conference game will always trump the biggest non-conference game with the possible future exception of UND simply for the rivalry factor. Taking our shots at KSU and Iowa in the future will be very awesome, but the surest route to the playoffs is winning the MVFC. If not UNI, then Illinois State, Youngstown State, or whichever other school rises to challenge NDSU at the top will always be my most-anticipated and must-win game of any season.

CaBisonFan
07-20-2012, 02:52 AM
Could not agree with the above more. After being put on blast for saying that the UNI game last season was bigger than Minnesota, I'm sticking to my guns and saying that the toughest conference game will always trump the biggest non-conference game with the possible future exception of UND simply for the rivalry factor. Taking our shots at KSU and Iowa in the future will be very awesome, but the surest route to the playoffs is winning the MVFC. If not UNI, then Illinois State, Youngstown State, or whichever other school rises to challenge NDSU at the top will always be my most-anticipated and must-win game of any season.

...we agree...and I like the part about the others rising to the top to challenge NDSU...life is good...

EndZoneQB
07-20-2012, 06:31 AM
So now we're down to eleven starters returning. Hmmm...oh well...it won't matter. QUOTE]

Frankly, Evans is the LEAST of our worries. Was he solid? Definitely. Irreplaceable? Not in the least. I thought he was one of the most overrated players on our team(to no fault of his own, he was a good player for sure).

katstrapper
07-20-2012, 02:23 PM
thats what you said about frisco too! :D

Ha ha.... ok I will give you that one, but that was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

I will be interested to see how this Kat team will stack up with the two FBS teams. I wish A&M was earlier in the year, but the Aggies will be coming off a tough stretch of their schedule (LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Miss St) when they play the Kats. I think Baylor is at least vulnerable a little now that RGIII is gone, but it will be tough game to win for sure. I really want to see the Kat D up against those two offenses.

tony
07-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Ha ha.... ok I will give you that one, but that was a 2 1/2 hour drive.

I will be interested to see how this Kat team will stack up with the two FBS teams. I wish A&M was earlier in the year, but the Aggies will be coming off a tough stretch of their schedule (LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Miss St) when they play the Kats. I think Baylor is at least vulnerable a little now that RGIII is gone, but it will be tough game to win for sure. I really want to see the Kat D up against those two offenses.

Your defense is something special. New Mexico took the wrong part of the staff.

344Johnson
07-20-2012, 09:48 PM
Your defense is something special. New Mexico took the wrong part of the staff.

That defense was impressive. And our offense really wasn't.

CaBisonFan
07-20-2012, 10:21 PM
That defense was impressive. And our offense really wasn't.

Agreed...our offense was simply adequate. Brock did everything possible to control the pace of the game...and our defense piss-pounded them. That's the story of the entire playoff run.

344Johnson
07-20-2012, 10:36 PM
Agreed...our offense was simply adequate. Brock did everything possible to control the pace of the game...and our defense piss-pounded them. That's the story of the entire playoff run.

Our offense in the National Championship game? Adequate in that they scored more than the other team. Not adequate if we need to actually score points in that game. Our offense had no answer to their defense. Couldn't even move the ball on the ground.

CaBisonFan
07-20-2012, 11:00 PM
Our offense in the National Championship game? Adequate in that they scored more than the other team. Not adequate if we need to actually score points in that game. Our offense had no answer to their defense. Couldn't even move the ball on the ground.

Adequate enough to win the game, considering that we had such a great defense. The fake punt and the screen pass to DJ are the biggest plays that I can think of. Adequate...in a not so positive way. Anyone have the offensive stats from the game?

I think that we agree 344Johnson. I keep writing here that to repeat, our offense must be better.

tjbison
07-20-2012, 11:24 PM
Adequate enough to win the game, considering that we had such a great defense. The fake punt and the screen pass to DJ are the biggest plays that I can think of. Adequate...in a not so positive way. Anyone have the offensive stats from the game?

I think that we agree 344Johnson. I keep writing here that to repeat, our offense must be better.

If the offense produces 2% better this year and the D stays the same we win it all, I know D wins championships but it's hard to rely on them 85% of the time

reformedUNDfan
07-21-2012, 03:24 PM

after that hit in the first half, brock was noticeably less accurate. SHSU had a pretty good defense but i don't think they were any better than UNI or ISUr

NorthernBison
07-21-2012, 03:47 PM
The Bohl method relies heavily on balanced offense that doesn't make mistakes. Nothing fancy. Don't expect that to change. You will be disappointed if you expect change.

Brock, when healthy was completing at an incredible percentage. A sore toe dropped it maybe 10% and that was a killer. He doesn't run a lot but is effective when he does.

When Brock wasn't 100%, there were times the defense got exposed. They give up yards between the 20's even at peak form so we can't afford for the offense to have short drives and give up short fields.

BisonNeil
07-22-2012, 05:55 PM
after that hit in the first half, brock was noticeably less accurate. SHSU had a pretty good defense but i don't think they were any better than UNI or ISUr

I don't agree with that, and the statistics don't agree with that either.

SHSU was #3 in total defense in 2011. Illinois State was #9, NDSU #20, and UNI #51. They only gave up 280 yds a game over 15 games. That's impressive. NDSU only gained 235 yds in the championship game (SHSU only got 210 of course).

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/team-total-defense

In scoring defense, SHSU was #2, giving up just over 14 pts per game, second only to NDSU at #1 with just under 14 pts a game. In contrast, UNI was #12 giving up 19 pts/game while Illinois State was #14 at 19.2 pts/game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2011/diviaa/team/scoring_defense_byDFNS_POINTS_PER_GAME.html

I think it is pretty clear that SHSU had a dominant defense and much better than either ISUr or UNI.

NorthernBison
07-22-2012, 06:38 PM
The Bison defense was exceptional in denying points. All statistics are subject to context. Football as a team sport stands out in how you can't focus on just a unit or specific categories of stats.

That completion that adds another set of downs and another 10 yards of field position is often a deciding factor. Brock's turf toe was, at times, a factor that put the defense in less than ideal situations.

BisonFan02
07-22-2012, 09:40 PM
I don't agree with that, and the statistics don't agree with that either.

SHSU was #3 in total defense in 2011. Illinois State was #9, NDSU #20, and UNI #51. They only gave up 280 yds a game over 15 games. That's impressive. NDSU only gained 235 yds in the championship game (SHSU only got 210 of course).

http://content.usatoday.com/sportsdata/football/fcs/stats/team-total-defense

In scoring defense, SHSU was #2, giving up just over 14 pts per game, second only to NDSU at #1 with just under 14 pts a game. In contrast, UNI was #12 giving up 19 pts/game while Illinois State was #14 at 19.2 pts/game.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/ncaa/stats/2011/diviaa/team/scoring_defense_byDFNS_POINTS_PER_GAME.html

I think it is pretty clear that SHSU had a dominant defense and much better than either ISUr or UNI.

Don't necessarily disagree, but if you factor SHSU's schedule (especially conference) versus ISUr and UNI, it isn't necessarily apples to apples. I did, however, think SHSU's defense was pretty stout.

heffray
07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
Don't necessarily disagree, but if you factor SHSU's schedule (especially conference) versus ISUr and UNI, it isn't necessarily apples to apples. I did, however, think SHSU's defense was pretty stout.

I think the stats for the playoffs were pretty contrarian for the teams talked about here. Defensively, SHSU had a great regular season but I think the playoffs were not as good for them. Didn't they give up like 28 or 30+ to Montana and 27 to Stonybrook or something like that? UNI was ranked higher in Defense during the regular season than NDSU, but then they gave up 48 to Montana. No team had a defensive performance like NDSU throughout the playoffs.

I also agree with Northern on the defensive stats being subjective. I think the only REAL concrete defensive stat to look at would be points allowed. NDSU clearly dominant to all comers in that column.

td577
07-24-2012, 01:27 PM
The only stats that matter are points allowed and point scored. Without going back and looking at every team's statistics, I am willing to bet the Bison had the best ratio of points vs. yards on both sides of the ball. NDSU scored a point for every 11 yards of offense while giving up a point for every 25 yards of defense. In other words, for every 7 points scored, NDSU had 77 yards of offense while opponents needed 175 yards of offense for their 7.

This is just total points vs total yards. I doesn't take into account defensive TDs. Simply, NDSU proved very efficient on both sides of the ball. I don't have a problem with opposing offenses racking up yards but I do have a problem with them racking up points. Take care of the ball and keep the opponent from scoring. It is a very good philosophy which has now accounted for 1 National Championship. With this philosophy, the clock is our friend and it doesn't matter who is eating up time.

Additionally, it isn't the first 99 yards of the field that matter, it is the last one. For the Bison defense, the line of demarcation was the exact point of the field where opposing kickers were comfortable plus one yard.

BisonNeil
07-24-2012, 03:44 PM
I think the stats for the playoffs were pretty contrarian for the teams talked about here. Defensively, SHSU had a great regular season but I think the playoffs were not as good for them. Didn't they give up like 28 or 30+ to Montana and 27 to Stonybrook or something like that? UNI was ranked higher in Defense during the regular season than NDSU, but then they gave up 48 to Montana. No team had a defensive performance like NDSU throughout the playoffs.

I also agree with Northern on the defensive stats being subjective. I think the only REAL concrete defensive stat to look at would be points allowed. NDSU clearly dominant to all comers in that column.

Okay, if you want to go that route, SHSU was clearly the dominant defense during the regular season as they ended giving up only 0.4 pts/game more than NDSU despite giving up more points in the playoffs. However, the flip side of your analysis is it also shows just how poorly NDSU performed offensively in the championship game. All of these other teams scored tons of points against SHSU and NDSU got only 230 total yards. If special teams and the defense hadn't handed the ball to the offense deep in SHSU territory they never would have scored two TDs.

My point is this, SHSU had a very good defense, still much better than ISUr or UNI, especially since they led the FCS in scoring defense for most of the season, only to be taken over by NDSU late, during the playoffs.

bisonboone11
07-24-2012, 04:55 PM
Okay, if you want to go that route, SHSU was clearly the dominant defense during the regular season as they ended giving up only 0.4 pts/game more than NDSU despite giving up more points in the playoffs. However, the flip side of your analysis is it also shows just how poorly NDSU performed offensively in the championship game. All of these other teams scored tons of points against SHSU and NDSU got only 230 total yards. If special teams and the defense hadn't handed the ball to the offense deep in SHSU territory they never would have scored two TDs.

My point is this, SHSU had a very good defense, still much better than ISUr or UNI, especially since they led the FCS in scoring defense for most of the season, only to be taken over by NDSU late, during the playoffs.
Are you saying that SHSU only gave up 0.4 pts/game more than NDSU including playoffs? If so, that isn't correct. At the end of the season, including playoffs, SHSU had given up 14.93 ppg and NDSU had only given up 12.73 ppg. I don't think the fact that SHSU had allowed less ppg in the regular season proves that they were the better defense. It could simply indicate that they played weaker teams.

heffray
07-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Are you saying that SHSU only gave up 0.4 pts/game more than NDSU including playoffs? If so, that isn't correct. At the end of the season, including playoffs, SHSU had given up 14.93 ppg and NDSU had only given up 12.73 ppg. I don't think the fact that SHSU had allowed less ppg in the regular season proves that they were the better defense. It could simply indicate that they played weaker teams.

Ding ding ding! That's why I think the performance by all teams in the playoffs paints a clearer picture. We were the BEST team in the FCS last year and we proved it in the playoffs.

BisonNation11
07-24-2012, 11:17 PM

One MAJOR point you are missing here is that SHSU had 3 weeks to prepare for NDSU, where as everyone they had 1 week (2 for their first opponent after bye.) NDSU performed every weekend with brillance with one week to prepare. Then with 3 weeks, they absolutely shut down SHSU. You can throw out every statistic in the book, and it still doesn't put a ring on SHSU's finger.

bajadanny
07-24-2012, 11:54 PM

Yes lets hope Brock can control the route of his passes for a entire season