PDA

View Full Version : TV schedule for 2012??

Pages : [1] 2 3

TheBisonator
06-23-2012, 05:02 AM
I have to make a few points from things I have noticed in the past few days:

1) The MVFC might possibly have the WORST TV contract of any Division I football conference. I do know that the MVFC has an even worse contract than the Division II Gulf South Conference, because the GSC has 8 games a year on ESPN3 and Comcast Sports South simultaneously, while the MVFC only has its 8 games on ESPN3. It was a better deal when one game a week was on FSN Midwest/North. I am really worried about the MVFC deal this year unlike last year, cause last fall we had a workaround login for ESPN3, but it has now been closed off, so now I know for a fact that most people living in th Twin Cities metro area do not have access to ESPN3, since a lot of TC fans have Century Link which has no ESPN3. (I have reason to believe that a good majority of computer users in the US are not able to get ESPN3). It was a total mistake to get involved with a broadcasting contract with a situation as fragile as the ESPN3 one, since a majority of ISPs in the US still refuse to carry it, and actually now that I think about it, I don't even know why it should be the ISPs fault, if ESPN wasn't a company run by douchebags, they would offer it as a free streaming service to everyone regardless of ISP.

2) I am concerned that there will be absolutely no TV for the Colorado State game, since the MWC's TV contract involves a lot less games this year than last. If the Mtn. was still around, I bet we could watch it on there.

3) No matter how many games on Midco Sportsnet we get, almost everyone in the TC metro (and a vast majority of Minnesota) will not be able to get those games. And of course the city of Fargo proper.

4) I am very worried that like last season, I will be forced to watch all the games online, except for the fact that I'm living in the goddamn Twin Cities now instead of a foreign city 1,200+ miles from Fargo. I guess it'll be great for a lot of you guys if we get a bunch more Statewide NBC games and Midco gamess, a fat lot of good it will do for any of the alums/fans living in Minneapolis, or fans in Fargo.

So anyone have any speculation on what kind of TV we'll have??

roadwarrior
06-23-2012, 06:55 AM

A Zenith?...

SamsRams
06-23-2012, 08:27 AM
the MTN would have little interest in broadcasting the colorado state game and colorado state most likely has 0 interest in anyone broadcasting the game

and did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason they won the national championship last year was because you couldnt watch them on tv?

Twentysix
06-23-2012, 08:42 AM
the MTN would have little interest in broadcasting the colorado state game and colorado state most likely has 0 interest in anyone broadcasting the game

and did you ever stop to think that maybe the reason they won the national championship last year was because you couldnt watch them on tv?

Bullshit, the wolf shirts won the chipper.

Gully
06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Comcast has ESPN 360, I think.

It's too bad NDSU can't get a FSN deal for FB games and a few bb games.

4mcruenomore
06-23-2012, 12:50 PM
You live in Minneapolis now? That sounds like a positive thing to me!

MNLonghorn10
06-23-2012, 02:48 PM
I have to make a few points from things I have noticed in the past few days:

1) The MVFC might possibly have the WORST TV contract of any Division I football conference. I do know that the MVFC has an even worse contract than the Division II Gulf South Conference, because the GSC has 8 games a year on ESPN3 and Comcast Sports South simultaneously, while the MVFC only has its 8 games on ESPN3. It was a better deal when one game a week was on FSN Midwest/North. I am really worried about the MVFC deal this year unlike last year, cause last fall we had a workaround login for ESPN3, but it has now been closed off, so now I know for a fact that most people living in th Twin Cities metro area do not have access to ESPN3, since a lot of TC fans have Century Link which has no ESPN3. (I have reason to believe that a good majority of computer users in the US are not able to get ESPN3). It was a total mistake to get involved with a broadcasting contract with a situation as fragile as the ESPN3 one, since a majority of ISPs in the US still refuse to carry it, and actually now that I think about it, I don't even know why it should be the ISPs fault, if ESPN wasn't a company run by douchebags, they would offer it as a free streaming service to everyone regardless of ISP.

2) I am concerned that there will be absolutely no TV for the Colorado State game, since the MWC's TV contract involves a lot less games this year than last. If the Mtn. was still around, I bet we could watch it on there.

3) No matter how many games on Midco Sportsnet we get, almost everyone in the TC metro (and a vast majority of Minnesota) will not be able to get those games. And of course the city of Fargo proper.

4) I am very worried that like last season, I will be forced to watch all the games online, except for the fact that I'm living in the goddamn Twin Cities now instead of a foreign city 1,200+ miles from Fargo. I guess it'll be great for a lot of you guys if we get a bunch more Statewide NBC games and Midco gamess, a fat lot of good it will do for any of the alums/fans living in Minneapolis, or fans in Fargo.

my guess is 9+ games youll have to watch online.

Bisonguy
06-23-2012, 03:13 PM
What's ESPN3 and how do I get it?

HerdBot
06-23-2012, 03:17 PM
We cant control the Missouri Valley Football TV contract. It pretty much sucks. We can control producing our own games and getting them on TV. We create our own exposure and its helped us rise to the top of the conference. I agree with you that we need to be on FSNN as much as possible. Big opportunity with hockey leaving

Last year was awesome. Every road game was televised. (Or at least shown in the bars)

I am concerned about Missouri State, Illinois State, and Colorado State being televised. I read that the loss of the Mountain West TV Network is hurting exposure and Colorado State is getting screwed
http://mobile.cowboyaltitude.com/2012/5/3/2997468/mountain-west-releases-national-tv-schedule-several-schools-barely

I think we should work with CSU to get that game televised on some type of Network whether it be Fox College Sports or something. Maybe ESPN3? I thought they dont allow their production to be on regular TV?

onbison09
06-23-2012, 03:46 PM
So the FS Midwest deal is no more?

HerdBot
06-23-2012, 06:13 PM
So the FS Midwest deal is no more?

Maybe Bisonator has more details. It stinks if we get less coverage after a national championship. C'mon Missouri Valley lets get us a BETTER deal! We cant be going backwards.

markerman
07-16-2012, 07:57 PM
Looking at the schedule, does anyone know of any reason that the Southern Illinois and SDSU games have been given a 2:30 start time? The reason I ask is that 2:30 is a traditional start time for nationally televised college games, but not for NDSU. Unless I am missing something, I am thinking it is likely that these games will be on FSN, ESPN Game Plan or espn3.

roadwarrior
07-16-2012, 08:19 PM
Looking at the schedule, does anyone know of any reason that the Southern Illinois and SDSU games have been given a 2:30 start time? The reason I ask is that 2:30 is a traditional start time for national television covered college games but not for NDSU. Unless I am missing something, I am thinking it is likely that these games will be on FSN, ESPN Game Plan or espn3. I apologize if this has already been discussed or confirmed on another thread.

Good catch. They changed the times on the schedule very recently. The tickets have 3pm as the start time.

HerdBot
07-16-2012, 10:07 PM
Good catch. They changed the times on the schedule very recently. The tickets have 3pm as the start time.

Hopefully not espn3. What a great way to fuck over our regional fan base. Unless of course it's in addition to Statewide broadcast

EndZoneQB
07-16-2012, 10:10 PM
Hopefully not espn3. What a great way to fuck over our regional fan base. Unless of course it's in addition to Statewide broadcast

SDSU fans get it ha.

1998braves64
07-19-2012, 04:01 AM
SDSU fans get it ha.

And NDSU fans with Midco

WYOBISONMAN
07-24-2012, 02:57 AM

Indeed.......it fucks me over too.....ESPN3 is total trash.

roadwarrior
07-24-2012, 03:04 AM
For what its worth, Valley News is now broadcast in HD.

North Side
07-24-2012, 03:26 AM
There is hope!!! HD FOOTBALL IN NORTH DAKOTA!?!?!?

BisonCardinal
07-24-2012, 03:34 AM
Doesn't seem to me like the MVFC (Patti V.) works very hard on getting a TV deal. Anybody else get that vibe?

TbonZach
07-24-2012, 03:35 AM
Doesn't seem to me like the MVFC (Patti V.) works very hard. Anybody else get that vibe?

Yup. I agree.

BISON1434er
07-24-2012, 03:53 AM
As stated previously, KVLY News has caught up with WDAY News and is now in HD. The question is whether this will carry over to live broadcasts from Fargodome. Maybe Danny Hammer enlightened us on this during the sports report that I did not watch.

It seems though if memory serves me correctly, the WDAZ/WDAY broadcast of the Basketball debactle in Grand Forks over the winter had a digital broadcast, but my TV was showing the black bars on the sides of the screen, therefore not true HD for the game. This in my opinoion makes the product on TV look worse when streched to full screen.

However, Stephanie Goetz is hotter in HD.

TbonZach
07-24-2012, 04:03 AM

I feel sorry for the buttons of her jackets.

EndZoneQB
07-24-2012, 04:08 AM
As stated previously, KVLY News has caught up with WDAY News and is now in HD. The question is whether this will carry over to live broadcasts from Fargodome. Maybe Danny Hammer enlightened us on this during the sports report that I did not watch.

It seems though if memory serves me correctly, the WDAZ/WDAY broadcast of the Basketball debactle in Grand Forks over the winter had a digital broadcast, but my TV was showing the black bars on the sides of the screen, therefore not true HD for the game. This in my opinoion makes the product on TV look worse when streched to full screen.

For what it's worth, just because it's 4:3 doesn't change the fact it could be shot in high resolution...just as 16:9 doesn't always mean HD.

SamsRams
07-24-2012, 04:15 AM
There is hope!!! HD FOOTBALL IN NORTH DAKOTA!?!?!?

Dont get too excited, as stated it costs a pretty penny to be able to upgrade the gear they need to broadcast games in HD. But at least having newscasts and national programming in HD is a step in the right direstion

BISON1434er
07-24-2012, 04:17 AM
I expect that the Bison Media Department will push for HD Broadcasts. I do not know what all goes into making such a broadcast happen, but I do know that the Western NBC stations have been in HD for at least 2 years if not 3 as well. Its a technology you can pick up with an antenna with a TV newer than 2006 for the most part, and it brings a lot more quality to someone watching it on TV. There will be a lot of people taking the game in on TV this year. probably more interest than any year prior.

SamsRams
07-24-2012, 04:25 AM
I expect that the Bison Media Department will push for HD Broadcasts.

Unless it was written in the last contract saying games need to be in HD by a certain date, they have zero say in the matter.

aces1180
07-24-2012, 01:25 PM
I feel sorry for the buttons of her jackets.

Is the rumor I heard true that she is dating Brescani?

Hammerhead
07-24-2012, 02:12 PM
For state-wide TV, I'm pretty sure the microwave links can carry HD signals. The big bucks are in buying/renting HD equipment for the production truck and possibly HD cameras if they don't have enough to borrow from the newsroom. :)

I expect that the Bison Media Department will push for HD Broadcasts. I do not know what all goes into making such a broadcast happen, but I do know that the Western NBC stations have been in HD for at least 2 years if not 3 as well. Its a technology you can pick up with an antenna with a TV newer than 2006 for the most part, and it brings a lot more quality to someone watching it on TV. There will be a lot of people taking the game in on TV this year. probably more interest than any year prior.

Bison bison
07-24-2012, 02:15 PM

You guys need help. The woman is a palomino.

http://KVLY.images.worldnow.com/images/13839996_BG1.png

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLUxWKmqjcg5hE4nJJZQXdJUQ3yFYOb yJx-9HC79BLpzT4EDKV

Hoofbeats
07-24-2012, 03:10 PM
I live in Fargo and am a Direct TV subscriber. I know it's early and the TV schedules both home and away, haven't been released yet, but after reading this thread, is there any reason to beleive that this is what I will need to do to view Bison Football this fall?

1. Keep subscription to Direct TV (includes local channels and Fox Sports North)

2. Take additional subscription to ESPN 3

3. Take additional subscription to ESPN Game Plan

4. Take additional subscription to Fox College Sports

5. Move to West Fargo, subscribe to Midco Cable TV

6. To pay for the above, become plasma donor or send wife to NP Avenue on weekends (her attorney is already on speed dial)

7. When/if playoffs start, scream at NCAA President for not requiring ESPN to broadcast FCS playoff games on ANY channel. (this is scary considering how mad he can get, i.e. Penn State)

8. or......should I just travel to away games which may be easier/cheaper than numbers 2-7 above?

Your thoughts and donations are welcome.

56BISON73
07-24-2012, 05:10 PM
I live in Fargo and am a Direct TV subscriber. I know it's early and the TV schedules both home and away, haven't been released yet, but after reading this thread, is there any reason to beleive that this is what I will need to do to view Bison Football this fall?

1. Keep subscription to Direct TV (includes local channels and Fox Sports North)

2. Take additional subscription to ESPN 3

3. Take additional subscription to ESPN Game Plan

4. Take additional subscription to Fox College Sports

5. Move to West Fargo, subscribe to Midco Cable TV

6. To pay for the above, become plasma donor or send wife to NP Avenue on weekends (her attorney is already on speed dial)

7. When/if playoffs start, scream at NCAA President for not requiring ESPN to broadcast FCS playoff games on ANY channel. (this is scary considering how mad he can get, i.e. Penn State)

8. or......should I just travel to away games which may be easier/cheaper than numbers 2-7 above?

Your thoughts and donations are welcome.

All of the above.:biggrin:

gumby013
07-24-2012, 08:15 PM
I live in NYC now and find it strange that I can get almost every Bison game on TV. I do subscribe to Gameplan, but the Yankee's YES Netowrk and the Madison Square Garden Network pick up a lot of them. I guess they run out of content to air.

I get a crazy mix of local commercials. Some from Fargo, some from guido New Jersey car salesmen.

KC Bison
07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
Seems to me that before you subscribe to ESPN Game Plan this year that we find out if they intend to cover all the FCS playoff games this year (as opposed to ESPN 3). I for one will not subscribe if they won't guarantee that.

HerdBot
07-24-2012, 09:52 PM
I live in NYC now and find it strange that I can get almost every Bison game on TV. I do subscribe to Gameplan, but the Yankee's YES Netowrk and the Madison Square Garden Network pick up a lot of them. I guess they run out of content to air.

I get a crazy mix of local commercials. Some from Fargo, some from guido New Jersey car salesmen.

Are you being sarcastic?

Herd
07-24-2012, 10:11 PM
Let's see . . .

DTV with sports package:
FSN (check)
Fox College Sports (check)

High School son with XBox Live:
ESPN 3 (check) best CFB experience available

ESPN Gameplan:
Carried usually on ESPN3 via XBox Live (check)

Midco Sports:
Problem - no Midco access in my area
Time for Midco to find a spot on DTV as others have stated.
NDSU All Access day for me

ND NBC Network or other Local:
Problem for me - out of state
NDSU All Access day for me

gumby013
07-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Are you being sarcastic?

Nope, I do get them here. A couple on Gameplan. Most times picked up by MSG or YES.

b15on
07-24-2012, 10:46 PM
Nope, I do get them here. A couple on Gameplan. Most times picked up by MSG or YES.
What is YES and MSG doing in Fargo let alone the Midwest?

b15on
07-24-2012, 10:49 PM
And I saw on Tom Mix's twitter that Dan Hammer's the on-air for 42 broadcasts of UND sports. Does this mean he's done with NBC if they have a Bison football game?

gumby013
07-24-2012, 10:53 PM

There are only so many Yankees, Knicks, and Ranger games. They need to fill all the other time with something else. They air a lot of other things that they can pay an inexpensive license fee...FCS, DII, highschool...and tons of lacrosse.

b15on
07-24-2012, 11:18 PM
There are only so many Yankees, Knicks, and Ranger games. They need to fill all the other time with something else. They air a lot of other things that they can pay an inexpensive license fee...FCS, DII, highschool...and tons of lacrosse.

Makes sense I guess. If I was them, I'd throw in a whole bunch Yankees, Knicks, and Rangers re-runs and show games from the Northeast viewing area.

chuckles
07-24-2012, 11:24 PM
Oh heck yeah! No more Hammer time as he has taken a job with Midco out of Grand Forks and will cover "42 UND sporting events" HA! See ya!

aces1180
07-24-2012, 11:25 PM
Oh heck yeah! No more Hammer time as he has taken a job with Midco out of Grand Forks and will cover "42 UND sporting events" HA!
See ya!

Good riddance ya piece of trash!

Wally
07-24-2012, 11:29 PM
Oh heck yeah! No more Hammer time as he has taken a job with Midco out of Grand Forks and will cover "42 UND sporting events" HA! See ya!

http://www.papermag.com/uploaded_images/anigif_enhanced-buzz-19251-1342793809-6-1.gif

hattonbison
07-24-2012, 11:30 PM
Knew he was interviewing last week, was hoping he would get hired. Can't stand the guy, he and who deserve each other. Stammers and can't pronounce words worth a shit. Secondary broadcaster deserves to be with a secondary college!!!!!!

JSUBison
07-24-2012, 11:47 PM
Good riddance ya piece of trash!

I can't remember, but is Hammer the NBOTN? Or is that Heitkamp? Since Lakes is banned at roughly 4,894 sports websites, I haven't seen the term used in a while, and I forgot.

EndZoneQB
07-24-2012, 11:57 PM

Look at his location. NYC.

b15on
07-25-2012, 12:03 AM
Look at his location. NYC.

I knew he's in NYC. What I was asking was why YES and MSG are in Fargo.

56BISON73
07-25-2012, 04:46 AM
I can't remember, but is Hammer the NBOTN? Or is that Heitkamp? Since Lakes is banned at roughly 4,894 sports websites, I haven't seen the term used in a while, and I forgot.

What the hell does it mean?

Trim
07-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Nut Beard Of The North = Dan "Gerbil Boy" Hammer

SamsRams
07-25-2012, 05:47 AM
I knew he's in NYC. What I was asking was why YES and MSG are in Fargo.
he never said they were. they bought/got for free the games to broadcast on their channel

gumby013
07-25-2012, 10:03 AM
he never said they were. they bought/got for free the games to broadcast on their channel

Correct. They pick up games from all over the country. MSG airs football from the SEC network as well. But since the SEC network is like the 4th tier TV game for the SEC, they are always terrible matchups.

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2012, 12:00 PM
The bottom line, NDSU is the NATIONAL CHAMPION in FCS Football. This ought to be deserving of a quality TV schedule that gets some degree of national exposure. The job of our media people in the athletic department sure as hell ought to be easier that that of the media department at UND when it comes to getting exposure and games on the air. Our conference ought to have an easier job getting games on the air by touting games that have the reigning National Champ playing in them. I just don't understand WTF the problem is with NDSU getting a solid slate of games that give us more that just statewide TV coverage and not coverage on some shit internet operation like ESPN3! Come on Jeremy......GET IT DONE! These are the expectations of this Bison Fan!

Mr. Burgundy
07-25-2012, 12:12 PM
The bottom line, NDSU is the NATIONAL CHAMPION in FCS Football. This ought to be deserving of a quality TV schedule that gets some degree of national exposure. The job of our media people in the athletic department sure as hell ought to be easier that that of the media department at UND when it comes to getting exposure and games on the air. Our conference ought to have an easier job getting games on the air by touting games that have the reigning National Champ playing in them. I just don't understand WTF the problem is with NDSU getting a solid slate of games that give us more that just statewide TV coverage and not coverage on some shit internet operation like ESPN3! Come on Jeremy......GET IT DONE! These are the expectations of this Bison Fan!

so are you the guy who just complains on a fan message board or someone who picks up the phone and addresses the issue with someone professionally?

Bison Dan
07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
If it was easy every team would be on TV. Outside the tri-state area there probably is little interest to the majority of TV viewers.

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2012, 12:33 PM
so are you the guy who just complains on a fan message board or someone who picks up the phone and addresses the issue with someone professionally?

I put my thoughts out there like any fan does. Our TV coverage is and has been lousy. You know that. As a fan and as an alumnus with both my BA and Masters from NDSU, I have every right to come on Bisonville and bitch about our media people not getting it done. Again......it is time for an improvement in the media coverage for Bison Football. Jeremy.........GET IT DONE!

Mr. Burgundy
07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Yes, you have every right to complain and bitch about what you think is the issue. I am just saying that as a well educated guy, you should just pick up the phone, voice a concern and see what they are thinking. They work with fans very well and your voice will be heard.....or is it HERD? They like fan/teammaker involvement. You are a strong supporter. I don' think the right people see your concern/complaint on a message board. Other fans will, but they don't have the power that the people do at NDSU. Just my opinion. Our tailgating group brought them an idea recently that apparently will be happening on gameday. Pretty cool.

WYOBISONMAN
07-25-2012, 12:50 PM
Yes, you have every right to complain and bitch about what you think is the issue. I am just saying that as a well educated guy, you should just pick up the phone, voice a concern and see what they are thinking. They work with fans very well and your voice will be heard.....or is it HERD? They like fan/teammaker involvement. You are a strong supporter. I don' think the right people see your concern/complaint on a message board. Other fans will, but they don't have the power that the people do at NDSU. Just my opinion. Our tailgating group brought them an idea recently that apparently will be happening on gameday. Pretty cool.

I will drop Jeremy an email.... ;) But, you can't be happy with the past coverage of the Herd....are you? We have to do better than what we have seen in the past.

HerdBot
07-25-2012, 01:40 PM
Correct. They pick up games from all over the country. MSG airs football from the SEC network as well. But since the SEC network is like the 4th tier TV game for the SEC, they are always terrible matchups.

I hope Im wrong but I still dont believe it. People on this board tend to know and read everything related to NDSU football and I have never heard this before. Tried the search engines too and nothing. Why would NDSU not promote this since yes network is available nationally. It wouldn't surprise me if MSG did a late night replay once in a blue moon but there is no chance th yes network cant fill time slots. There are enough high school sports in new york to fill 2 networks.

Hoofbeats
07-25-2012, 02:15 PM
So with Hammer gone, who is representing, at least on-air, Hoak Media (Channel 11) with regard to their contract with the Bison? Not knowing who else is on the sports desk there, I would think that Hoak is needing to find someone to replace Hammer and that can do play-by-play rather quick. Without someone to replace Hammer, who will anchor ANY broadcast they would have done? Will Hammer's leaving limit the number of broadcasts they may have been considering? Not remembering the contract that Hoak and Bison Athletics signed, I'll bet it addressed and agreed to doing a certain number of home football telecasts.

Any ideas? Is Jeremy Jorgenson the person, at least representing Bison Athletics, to take control of this situation?

GradBison
07-25-2012, 02:43 PM
So with Hammer gone, who is representing, at least on-air, Hoak Media (Channel 11) with regard to their contract with the Bison? Not knowing who else is on the sports desk there, I would think that Hoak is needing to find someone to replace Hammer and that can do play-by-play rather quick. Without someone to replace Hammer, who will anchor ANY broadcast they would have done? Will Hammer's leaving limit the number of broadcasts they may have been considering? Not remembering the contract that Hoak and Bison Athletics signed, I'll bet it addressed and agreed to doing a certain number of home football telecasts.

Any ideas? Is Jeremy Jorgenson the person, at least representing Bison Athletics, to take control of this situation?

If Jamal Spencer is still around, I thought he did a much better job with the sports than Hammer.

HerdBot
07-25-2012, 03:05 PM

How about Lakes? He would represent the Bison we'll

Bison03
07-25-2012, 03:23 PM
I think in the short term or at least for this season, Jeremy Jorgenson will be the guy to call games on TV. Jamel Spencer is not very good. His skills are more suited as a sideline guy. I believe JJ was the sideline reporter for radio broadcasts so this might me an issue as well. I just hope they get a good team of broadcasters that know the team and tradition well.

aces1180
07-25-2012, 03:29 PM
Someone needs to see if Hallstrom and/or Peters would be willing to freelance.

THEsocalledfan
07-25-2012, 03:43 PM

I have expressed my displeasure about the coverage to Jeremy on the phone a year ago. He was very understanding. I stressed that NDSU must to more to give folks the opportunity to watch the games outside of ND, and computer feeds are not good enough. All Jeremy has to do, is look North and see how they built the media productions at UND. They make us look like a bunch of fools. (I know Hammersmith has even quoted costs/prices to pull this off.) With this said, he would have to have top level support to get this fixed. I can't help but wonder if that is the issue? (I miss Chapman......)

Mr. Burgundy
07-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Hallstrom should be the first and only call we make.

THEsocalledfan
07-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Just reading that Hammer article, and just need to highlight the line that pisses me off:

"...as part of the $1 million, five-year broadcast agreement Midcontinent Communications made with UND last month. The agreement includes five football games and 20 men’s hockey games."

I know we talked about this when announced, but let just remember how far NDSU is behind. Not to mention, I could have sworn UND get to send out those hockey games to national audiences, not just regional.

b15on
07-25-2012, 06:33 PM
I would sooooo want Hallstrom back. Definitely best in the biz.

HerdBot
07-25-2012, 06:46 PM
I would sooooo want Hallstrom back. Definitely best in the biz.

I agree. Hallstrom was awesome but i would imagine he is busy with his career. Never hurts to ask

MNLonghorn10
07-25-2012, 07:00 PM
hallstrom would be legit.

it'd be weird seeing him work for hoak after all of the years at wday/bison blog with kolpack.

jamal spencers cool...but lets be honest, listening to him try to call a game would be a wreck.

Tatanka
07-25-2012, 11:30 PM
hallstrom would be legit.

it'd be weird seeing him work for hoak after all of the years at wday/bison blog with kolpack.

jamal spencers cool...but lets be honest, listening to him try to call a game would be a wreck.

Truth. Just watch one of his halftime interviews. No effing way he calls a game.

OTOH, Jamal > gerbil boy.

KC Bison
07-26-2012, 12:34 PM
I repeat my request that people not simply anty up for ESPN GamePlan without requesting that we want to know if playoffs be included in their schedule. Once they announce their schedule, it is very difficult to get them to change it, short of getting your congressman/senator to plead your case. As I recall, two years ago they covered all the FCS playoff games and then last year they decided to throw most of the rounds into ESPN3. We have our greatest leverage before we pay our money for the year and I think it needs to be clear that they will lose out on money if they throw those games back to internet. It's not like they have add new channels to cover the FCS playoffs as most colleges are already done playing for the year.

WYOBISONMAN
07-26-2012, 02:10 PM
I would suspect that ESPN will not let anyone know what is up until towards the end of the season. Many times games are not posted until the week before they are played.

markerman
07-26-2012, 02:19 PM
Is athletics ever going to announce the TV schedule? IMO, it would be appropriate to let everyone know prior to Aug. 1st so people can make educated decisions on which games to attend. Cue the "GO TO EVERY GAME!!!!" crowd...

HerdBot
07-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Is athletics ever going to announce the TV schedule? IMO, it would be appropriate to let everyone know prior to Aug. 1st so people can make educated decisions on which games to attend. Cue the "GO TO EVERY GAME!!!!" crowd...

I never miss a home game and I try to hit at least 2 road games every year. But others do need some advance notice

WYOBISONMAN
07-26-2012, 10:52 PM

My gut tells me there is nothing positive to announce. I hope I am terribly wrong about this....

MN_BISON
07-26-2012, 11:44 PM
My gut tells me there is nothing positive to announce. I hope I am terribly wrong about this....

Funny, I was thinking just the opposite, wanna bet a 6 pack for your favorite beer on it??? :bong:

missingnumber7
07-27-2012, 12:38 AM
My gut tells me there is nothing positive to announce. I hope I am terribly wrong about this....They stated at the Showcase in Mandan that they schedule would be out in the next week or so and that the fans should be very pleased with the schedule.

WYOBISONMAN
07-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Funny, I was thinking just the opposite, wanna bet a 6 pack for your favorite beer on it??? :bong:

Heck yes.......and I wouldn't mind losing!!!!

MN_BISON
07-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Heck yes.......and I wouldn't mind losing!!!!

Good deal, consider it done. Now all we have to do is get your ass and mine to Fargo for the opener. I'm guessing one of these will do if you win.

THEsocalledfan
07-27-2012, 12:47 PM
They stated at the Showcase in Mandan that they schedule would be out in the next week or so and that the fans should be very pleased with the schedule.

Yes, in the sense that backwoods hillbillies think non-HD statewide coverage is the cat's meow......

missingnumber7
07-27-2012, 01:08 PM
Yes, in the sense that backwoods hillbillies think non-HD statewide coverage is the cat's meow......Statewide HD shouldn't be that large of a leap considering they have done 2 hockey broadcasts on CBS here in Bismarck of the Bobcats in HD, I have a hard time beliving that NDSU wouldn't include that in part of the negotiating.

But some people just can't be pleased. I would be happy having every game televised first. Once our entire season is on TV, then worry about how many HD games we have. Pressure needs to be applied to create a North Dakota sports network, similar to the Montana Power network.

tony
07-27-2012, 01:18 PM
Yes, in the sense that backwoods hillbillies think non-HD statewide coverage is the cat's meow......

Purple?

TV should be like recruiting. Start in ND, northern SD, and NW Minnesota and work outwards. You gotta keep the base of support aware of NDSU or the Legislature will do nothing as guys like Skarphol and Holmburg and the SBoHE continue to gut NDSU.

That said, the non-HD broadcasts sucked. Having Hammer, a guy who knows fuck-all* about the FCS and NDSU, doing the broadcasts made it that much worse.

That said, would I like games to be on FCS or even MidCo? Hell, yeah! But a case can be made that getting the games on statewide should be the #1 priority. Getting them in HD, #2.

BlueBisonRock
07-27-2012, 06:01 PM
They stated at the Showcase in Mandan that they schedule would be out in the next week or so and that the fans should be very pleased with the schedule.

Backwoods Hillbillies? Are you inferring Killdeer and company as they live near the Killdeer Mountains? Or are you forgetting the other mountainous location in ND - The Turtle Mountains. It seems that Rollette could easily be considered backwoods? Then again, you could be inferring Arkansas and pointing at PL? So, Socalled.... Which is it?

:hide:

I can't resist this as I had never thought of West River as hillbilly.

Hoofbeats
07-27-2012, 06:49 PM
Purple?

TV should be like recruiting. Start in ND, northern SD, and NW Minnesota and work outwards. You gotta keep the base of support aware of NDSU or the Legislature will do nothing as guys like Skarphol and Holmburg and the SBoHE continue to gut NDSU.

That said, the non-HD broadcasts sucked. Having Hammer, a guy who knows fuck-all* about the FCS and NDSU, doing the broadcasts made it that much worse.

That said, would I like games to be on FCS or even MidCo? Hell, yeah! But a case can be made that getting the games on statewide should be the #1 priority. Getting them in HD, #2.

Couldn't agree more. I'm going to have a tough time understanding if every regular season home game is a sell out, just like the playoffs were last year, why shouldn't there be television coverage whether it's in HD or not? If the game's a sell out and there are thousands of other people who still want to watch the game, from an old business management class, doesn't that offer a great opportunity to advertise to the entire state of N.D. and Western Minnesota market?

If I'm a business owner who can benefit from that type of advertising, I'm all over that opportunity if it's presented to me from a local or regional broadcasting network.

WYOBISONMAN
07-27-2012, 08:14 PM
Purple?

That does make sense. The PR machine is pretty important in light of the legislative threats that are out there!

THEsocalledfan
07-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Backwoods Hillbillies? Are you inferring Killdeer and company as they live near the Killdeer Mountains? Or are you forgetting the other mountainous location in ND - The Turtle Mountains. It seems that Rollette could easily be considered backwoods? Then again, you could be inferring Arkansas and pointing at PL? So, Socalled.... Which is it?

:hide:

I can't resist this as I had never thought of West River as hillbilly.

That post made me laugh pretty hard. Reps to you! You did spell Rolette wrong, and don't ever do that is ever in Rolette. (That, and saying it without a long o are big pet peeves up there; don't ever say it so it sounds like the o in Rolla)

I mainly posted this to get people to realize to quit thinking small time. (Hey, I was brought up hillbillie and am proud of it!) This train is in full gear, with sold out season tickets and most likely sellouts for every game. Some say I will never be satisfied, and they are completely right. This product needs more exposure to sustain the dynasty we want to see start again. There should be progress each year on creating more exposure from TV. As a reminder to folks, when Chapman was still president, we were actually getting games on FSN. That was huge and awesome. Clearly, then getting a pretty big slate of games broadcasted statewide was also progress, but not as much at first appearance since the FSN games seemed to disappear. I felt like last year, further prgoress was made getting them some games on FCS and Midco. But, this is still not enough. We need to go further. Make all of those statewide games available on something like FCS. (REMINDER, MICROWAVES ARE FOR COOKING, NOT PRODUCING TV; talk about backwoods, that pretty much sums up Hoak.) We need the games in HD; this is NOT new technology at this point. Further, if we can get some games on FSN, they must jump at it. (FSN penetration should make that a non-issue if it takes away a statewide broadcast.)

Don't be complacent or accept it! We must move this thing forward every year.

BisonNation11
07-27-2012, 09:59 PM
Considering the recruiting and the lack of a decent FCS school in WI, one would hope they are pushing real hard for something in that state. I know it's dominated by the Badgers, but that's it.

IndyBison
07-27-2012, 10:53 PM
Considering the recruiting and the lack of a decent FCS school in WI, one would hope they are pushing real hard for something in that state. I know it's dominated by the Badgers, but that's it.
That lack of any anything besides the Badgers is why UW-Whitewater has had such a great run in D3. They are a public school and compete mostly with private schools around the country. It's a huge advantage for them and they take full advantage of it. We should still play it up in WI though. Great recruiting market!

Hammersmith
07-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Re-posting the info from the ESPN3 thread that BisonVifte dug up. The news is good and bad. On the good side, 10 of the 11 games are confirmed to have some sort of TV coverage; only CSU is an unknown. The UNI game is currently only being shown locally in Iowa, but that could easily change. The bad is that it's a mish-mash of networks(five of them), and four of the games look to only be on ESPN3 for now. Unless Cableone comes to an agreement with ESPN pretty quick, that's going to suck for those of us in Fargo. OTOH, all of the ESPN3 games are home games, so we should be at the FD anyway. Maybe ESPN will let Hoak pick up the broadcast this time.

vs Robert Morris 6:00 ESPN3
at Colardo State 6:00 none yet
vs Prairie View 3:00 ESPN3
at Northern Iowa 6:07 UNI local(for now)
vs Youngstown State 1:00 ESPN3
vs Indiana State 3:00 ESPN3
at South Dakota 6:00 Midco Sports
vs Southern Illinois 2:30 FCS
at Missouri State 1:00 NBC ND
vs South Dakota State 2:30 FCS
at Illinois State 1:00 NBC ND

344Johnson
07-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Re-posting the info from the ESPN3 thread that BisonVifte dug up. The news is good and bad. On the good side, 10 of the 11 games are confirmed to have some sort of TV coverage; only CSU is an unknown. The UNI game is currently only being shown locally in Iowa, but that could easily change. The bad is that it's a mish-mash of networks(five of them), and four of the games look to only be on ESPN3 for now. Unless Cableone comes to an agreement with ESPN pretty quick, that's going to suck for those of us in Fargo. OTOH, all of the ESPN3 games are home games, so we should be at the FD anyway. Maybe ESPN will let Hoak pick up the broadcast this time.

On the bright side, maybe the fact that NDSU is on ESPN3 this much will push CableOne into biting the bullet and getting it for everyone.

roadwarrior
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM
On the bright side, maybe the fact that NDSU is on ESPN3 this much will push CableOne into biting the bullet and getting it for everyone.

Now, thats funny!

HerdBot
07-30-2012, 09:10 PM

This cant be real. This is a dramatic hit for the program. Assuming the espn3 games are only on espn3 we now have one of the worst tv deals ever. This decision rivals new coke. We should be embarrassed. All gamed on statewide to this. Even if they get espn3 who cares. Nobody watches it.

roadwarrior
07-30-2012, 09:14 PM
This cant be real. This is a dramatic hit for the program. Assuming the espn3 games are only on espn3 we now have one of the worst tv deals ever. This decision rivals new coke. We should be embarrassed. All gamed on statewide to this. Even if they get espn3 who cares. Nobody watches it.

Did you read the NDSU press release?

HerdBot
07-30-2012, 09:22 PM

No just your post. Ill read it now.
Edit. Cant find it.

roadwarrior
07-30-2012, 09:26 PM

Good luck with that! I'm pretty sure they haven't released anything yet, which is my point.

aces1180
07-30-2012, 09:27 PM
Edit. Cant find it.

First I was like :rofl:, then I was like :facepalm:.

HerdBot
07-30-2012, 09:36 PM
S
Good luck with that! I'm pretty sure they haven't released anything yet, which is my point.

Its either total bullshit of a post or if you read between the lines... espn3 = not on TV. I hope its bullshit because when you have an opportunity to showcase the dome its a great opportunity

Tatanka
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM

Edit. Cant find it.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/14774283.jpg

:rofl:

HerdBot
07-30-2012, 10:15 PM
http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/14774283.jpg

:rofl:

Ill chalk it up as a good practical joke!

WYOBISONMAN
07-31-2012, 12:03 AM

OK......that there was funny as hell!!!! LOL!!!!

56BISON73
07-31-2012, 12:33 AM

Throw the bait out then set the hook!!!!:rofl:

KC Bison
07-31-2012, 03:06 AM
Sent my first email to ESPN about their GamePlan about whether they would cover all rounds of the FCS playoffs with the GamePlan. Told them that my money was dependent on their putting the games on GamePlan. I reminded them that I would get the Politicians involved if they chose to throw them on ESPN3 this year.

THEsocalledfan
07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Wow, and must say this again, wow.

Who would have thought it could possibly be worse than last year, but NDSU pulled it off after a national title season. It took some doing, but NDSU managed to snatch defeat out of the jaws of victory. Let's recap:

1. Only two games on NBC that no one outside of ND can see.
2. Only one game on midco. (Did NDSU not reup with midco this year?)
3. Only two games on FCS. (I was hoping they'd have all those ESPN3 numbers.)
4. And a whole lotta crap on ESPN3. I sure as heck hope that they are at least HD productions, or this will be the worst Bison media year in many years.

missingnumber7
07-31-2012, 01:15 PM
I was entirely humored by the fact that everygame has a television option EXCEPT our game against Colorado State. I think this is a failing by the MVFC more than NDSU. The MVFC has partnered with ESPN3, and I am willing to bet it has more to do with the existing relationship some of those involved in the league HQ already have with ESPN3 for BBall. I think that we have been failed by the president again and Patty V NEEDS to go. It is time to find someone to market this conference. We are on the verge of becoming a large upper midwest league, and if YSU decides to leave it makes the footprint even smaller. Make some deals with a regional sports channel and get them to carry games. If that means we have to move start times around to make it work then so be it. I mean Big 10 starts games at 11 am to be televised, why can't we adjust start times to be carried somewhere other than the internet or statewide TV?

BisonNation11
07-31-2012, 01:38 PM
I mean Big 10 starts games at 11 am to be televised, why can't we adjust start times to be carried somewhere other than the internet or statewide TV?

You mean my first beer of the day could possibly be at 5:30 AM??? YEEEEEES!!!

Greenie
07-31-2012, 01:55 PM
MVFC TV Schedule for this season
http://www.valley-football.org/multimedia/default/

Robert Morris - ESPN3
@Colorado State - nothing mentioned
Prairie View A&M - ESPN3
@Northern Iowa - NBC in Northern Iowa (would assume this will be shared by NBC in ND)
Youngstown St - ESPN3
Indiana St - ESPN3
@South Dakota - Midco
Southern Illinois - FCS
@Missouri State - NBC in ND
SDSU - FCS
@Illinois State - NBC in ND

I would imagine NDSU is waiting to announce the TV schedule after single game tickets are on sale to make sure attendance reaches sellouts/close to sellouts in early August. Also, they are probably working on getting multiple broadcast partners for some of the games.

BisonTeacher
07-31-2012, 02:24 PM
You mean my first beer of the day could possibly be at 5:30 AM??? YEEEEEES!!!

This is the best and one of the few good parts of a gopher game. 7 an captains.

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 02:44 PM

Robert Morris - ESPN3
Prairie View A&M - ESPN3
@Northern Iowa - NBC in Northern Iowa (would assume this will be shared by NBC in ND)
Youngstown St - ESPN3
Indiana St - ESPN3
@South Dakota - Midco
Southern Illinois - FCS
SDSU - FCS

I would imagine NDSU is waiting to announce the TV schedule after single game tickets are on sale to make sure attendance reaches sellouts/close to sellouts in early August. Also, they are probably working on getting multiple broadcast partners for some of the games.

As Han Solo would say "I have a bad feeling about this." Do you find it strange that none of the home games are on statewide but the road games are? I mean we has the flipping spring game on statewide. Why would they not announce th home games? Unless were looking at a partner that broadcasts in HD? Like FSN North? Anyone have an FSN schedule?

aces1180
07-31-2012, 02:46 PM
How about we all chill out and wait for the official NDSU release? Right now, nothing is set in stone.

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 02:59 PM
I was entirely humored by the fact that everygame has a television option EXCEPT our game against Colorado State. I think this is a failing by the MVFC more than NDSU. The MVFC has partnered with ESPN3, and I am willing to bet it has more to do with the existing relationship some of those involved in the league HQ already have with ESPN3 for BBall. I think that we have been failed by the president again and Patty V NEEDS to go. It is time to find someone to market this conference. We are on the verge of becoming a large upper midwest league, and if YSU decides to leave it makes the footprint even smaller. Make some deals with a regional sports channel and get them to carry games. If that means we have to move start times around to make it work then so be it. I mean Big 10 starts games at 11 am to be televised, why can't we adjust start times to be carried somewhere other than the internet or statewide TV?

If the Missoui Valley Commissioner is responsible for getting 2/3 of our home games on ESPN3 and blacks out and kills a great statewide deal I would rather move to the flipping Big Sky.. no statewide coverage for home games and being dependent on an internet channel Fargo and much of North Dakota doesnt get is a program killer or would hinder growth ...the biggest program in the state needs to have every home game televised .the conference is then a negative. It has no advantages except a tough schedule . but we have nothing officially confirmed yet so we could be freaking out over nothing

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 03:02 PM
How about we all chill out and wait for the official NDSU release? Right now, nothing is set in stone.

I sure as fuck hope so.

BisonTeacher
07-31-2012, 03:03 PM
When is the official release?

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 03:08 PM
When is the official release?

Were hopefully its not official. I predict its going to be really good or really bad. Hopefully the former. Hopefully we're freaking out over nothing

aces1180
07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Were hopefully its not official. I predict its going to be really good or really bad. Hopefully the former. Hopefully we're freaking out over nothing

What do you mean "we?" More like "you." ;)

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 03:21 PM
What do you mean "we?" More like "you." ;)

I knew you were going to say that. :) but seriously can you imagine the shit storm thats going to occur if 4 of the first 6 home games are not televised and the dome will be essentially sold out before the season begins... its going to make the logo situation look like nothing

NDSU92
07-31-2012, 03:27 PM
I knew you were going to say that. :) but seriously can you imagine the shit storm thats going to occur if 4 of the first 6 home games are not televised and the dome will be essentially sold out before the season begins... its going to make the logo situation look like nothing

I'd tell you to settle down but your erruption of DaveK proportions is too funny to watch.

THEsocalledfan
07-31-2012, 03:29 PM

Gabe, please note Greenie's post above. Greenie hasn't posted in a long time, and Greenie can be trusted. I think he likely did this because I freaked out and this is his way of saying there is more to come. I was VERY happy to see this post, as it is a big deal. I've said it before on this board; when Greenie talks, you better listen as he knows a few folks......

PS I also wonder if there was more to Roads little joke about the press release.....

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 03:44 PM
I'd tell you to settle down but your erruption of DaveK proportions is too funny to watch.

All i can say is I want what's best for the program. Not having games televised is bad for the program. Not sure why you would be amused by something that hurts the program. Besides I go to every game including 2-3 road games so it won't hurt me. Just the program.
My gut says its a misprint but until we get confirmation feel free to be amused! :)

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 03:50 PM
Gabe, please note Greenie's post above. Greenie hasn't posted in a long time, and Greenie can be trusted. I think he likely did this because I freaked out and this is his way of saying there is more to come. I was VERY happy to see this post, as it is a big deal. I've said it before on this board; when Greenie talks, you better listen as he knows a few folks......

PS I also wonder if there was more to Roads little joke about the press release.....

All he did was post a link. Not exactly inside info

Gully
07-31-2012, 03:53 PM
I hope there is more to come but I'm not going to get my hopes us. I'd rather be surprised and thrilled than raise my expectations and be sad dissappointed.

NDSU92
07-31-2012, 03:59 PM
Just like everyone else said, wait and see what the official website has for a press release. The athletic department has done a seemingly great job in everything else since the Natty and I trust that they've been doing the same as far as tv contracts

tcbison
07-31-2012, 04:01 PM

Robert Morris - ESPN3
Prairie View A&M - ESPN3
Youngstown St - ESPN3
Indiana St - ESPN3
@South Dakota - Midco
Southern Illinois - FCS
SDSU - FCS

All he did was post a link. Not exactly inside info

gabe,
Now is the time to breathe in and breathe out. Also take time to read what Greenie wrote. He did more than just post a link. In case you missed it:

344Johnson
07-31-2012, 04:10 PM
You guys seem to be taking what greenie said as something of a calming statement. has he been right before on some of these sort of things or?

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
gabe,
Now is the time to breathe in and breathe out. Also take time to read what Greenie wrote. He did more than just post a link. In case you missed it:

Considering we always release the tv schedule after August 1st and even add games late, hes not exactly posting something that's not common knowledge

I trust NDsU will get it right. They always do.

roadwarrior
07-31-2012, 04:15 PM
My gut says its a misprint but until we get confirmation feel free to be amused! :)

A "misprint" of what? NDSU has not released their TV coverage schedule.

Twentysix
07-31-2012, 04:18 PM

I don't see why people in Arizona would give a shit if people in fargo can see NDSU. If cableone was a local company you would have been onto something.

Twentysix
07-31-2012, 04:21 PM
Just like everyone else said, wait and see what the official website has for a press release. The athletic department has done a seemingly great job in everything else since the Natty and I trust that they've been doing the same as far as tv contracts

You are forgetting the logo I think.

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 04:23 PM
A "misprint" of what? NDSU has not released their TV coverage schedule.

The Missouri Valley misprint.... its on their website

THEsocalledfan
07-31-2012, 04:30 PM
You guys seem to be taking what greenie said as something of a calming statement. has he been right before on some of these sort of things or?

Yes. Please read my post again. I can't say much more than that due to my promises to Greenie. TAB can also vouch for Greenie. He is one of the few folks on here other than me who even knows who he is and why he can be trusted.

Note I highlighted a big hint he gave. There is clearly some kind of deal brewing of getting more of those games on more than one outlet. The only question is scale....can they actually get ESPN3 games on other things? Or, is the FCS games only? Perhaps the FCS games will be on FSN? (huge win if happens) etc.

NDSU92
07-31-2012, 04:34 PM
You are forgetting the logo I think.

I guess I meant that they're trying to increase exposure...whether they're successful or not remains to be seen I guess but hey at least they've been trying.

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 04:39 PM
Yes. Please read my post again. I can't say much more than that due to my promises to Greenie. TAB can also vouch for Greenie. He is one of the few folks on here other than me who even knows who he is and why he can be trusted.

Note I highlighted a big hint he gave. There is clearly some kind of deal brewing of getting more of those games on more than one outlet. The only question is scale....can they actually get ESPN3 games on other things? Or, is the FCS games only? Perhaps the FCS games will be on FSN? (huge win if happens) etc.

I hope so. That would be huge.

TransAmBison
07-31-2012, 05:55 PM
TSCF speaks teh truth. If Greenie said it, you can believe it.

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 06:04 PM
TSCF speaks teh truth. If Greenie said it, you can believe it.

Here is my predictions ..

1) statewide tv in hd with the ysu game only espn3
2) statewide no hd but 1 or 2 games on fsn with ysu on espn3

Professor Chaos
07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
I hope there is more to come but I'm not going to get my hopes us. I'd rather be surprised and thrilled than raise my expectations and be sad dissappointed.
Too bad my ex-girlfriends didn't have that same mentality...

runtheoption
07-31-2012, 07:01 PM

I'll take your word for it, but don't undermine Greenie's and your credibility by using TAB as a reference.

THEsocalledfan
07-31-2012, 08:15 PM
I'll take your word for it, but don't undermine Greenie's and your credibility by using TAB as a reference.

So you don't like your Bison tattoo?

BisonTeacher
07-31-2012, 08:34 PM
So ill ask again....any idea when they will officially release the info?

HerdBot
07-31-2012, 09:40 PM
So ill ask again....any idea when they will officially release the info?

In 2010 it was announced August 2nd... not sure last year but that sounds about right

b15on
07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
In 2010 it was announced August 2nd... not sure last year but that sounds about right

It was released August 1st last year. If the pattern holds...then today's the day this year.

bisonboone11
08-06-2012, 04:37 PM
Anything new on the TV schedule?

HerdBot
08-06-2012, 04:51 PM

Last year it was announced Aug 1
2010 it was Aug 2
I think both Mondays
Should see something today if Monday holds true
Given the demand I would imagine they are holding out for the best deal

THEsocalledfan
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM

The silence is deafening. Also, I spoke to Greenie via e-mail, and he did not have any inside information as I thought he did. He did stick by his comment that he thinks more is coming, however.....

Gully
08-06-2012, 04:52 PM
Last year it was announced Aug 1
2010 it was Aug 2
I think both Mondays
Should see something today if Monday holds true
Given the demand I would imagine they are holding out for the best deal

I was thinking the same thing....maybe they're thinking all the games selling out is a point they can leverage?

HerdBot
08-06-2012, 05:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing....maybe they're thinking all the games selling out is a point they can leverage?

I don't think they THINK it- they KNOW it. The entire season sold out in a day.

TheBisonator
08-06-2012, 05:11 PM
Who knows... There might be something big in the works... Perhaps a small FSN contract. These TV contract deals often don't get done till the last minute.

THEsocalledfan
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM

Gabe, think they are going "bat shit crazy" in negotiations? :biggrin:

TheBisonator
08-06-2012, 05:12 PM

And the athletic program is kind of obligated now to show all FB games to as many possible viewers in the region or even nationwide, because there is no longer the excuse, "well, why don't you just buy a ticket and go to the game?"

BisonTeacher
08-06-2012, 05:13 PM
Fsn would be so sweet. Fargo would have to get some fox sports north girls!

THEsocalledfan
08-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Fsn would be so sweet. Fargo would have to get some fox sports north girls!

From my read in the past, the issue was mainly game times and their national commitments. Looks like big 10 hockey still a year away, so they'll still have that issue, too.

HerdBot
08-06-2012, 05:42 PM
From my read in the past, the issue was mainly game times and their national commitments. Looks like big 10 hockey still a year away, so they'll still have that issue, too.

Dammit though that was this year. Shows how closely i watch hockey. Maybe FSN plus? Shit I would be happy with KVLY statewide in HD

Tatanka
08-06-2012, 05:49 PM

I would think pulling a 50+ share in ND would merit some consideration, if that's really a true figure.

HerdBot
08-06-2012, 06:17 PM
I would think pulling a 50+ share in ND would merit some consideration, if that's really a true figure.

That's pretty flippin' insane.

BisonTeacher
08-06-2012, 07:22 PM

I thought that was this year...what happened

THEsocalledfan
08-06-2012, 07:25 PM
I thought that was this year...what happened

Nothing, here is an old article:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/118373629.html

BisonTeacher
08-06-2012, 07:43 PM
Nothing, here is an old article:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/gophers/blogs/118373629.html

Ok my bad....so one more year wcha then? I swear they said last year was end of wcha

HerdBot
08-07-2012, 01:21 AM
Still no announcement... interesting. This is late by Bison standards

missingnumber7
08-07-2012, 01:44 AM
Still no announcement... interesting. This is late by Bison standardsMaybe trying to find a broadcast for the CSU game?

HerdBot
08-07-2012, 02:03 AM
Maybe trying to find a broadcast for the CSU game?

If i had to guess a road game would be a separate deal

SDbison
08-07-2012, 04:42 AM
Bison television coverage is an epic FAIL. A rich winning tradition football program that recently won the FCS DI championship and just sold out all home games a month in advance of the season for 19,000 attendance each game in a great football football venue with brand new 3 million dollar turf cannot do better than a couple games on ND statewide network TV and a bunch of espn3 games on the internet? Wow........talk about underachievement! UND and SDSU have much better coverage and don't have anything close to the success or fan following of NDSU. Gene Taylor I know you expect more than this..........heck give me the job and I will get it done.

NOTE: I really need the job since 10 days ago my project manager position was eliminated at the company I worked at for over 12 years!

HerdBot
08-07-2012, 04:52 AM
Unless I missed something I'm not sure how you can call it a failure when it hasn't been announced yet.

Sorry about your job. Start your own company. Quit making other assholes rich.

SDbison
08-07-2012, 05:00 AM
Unless I missed something I'm not sure how you can call it a failure when it hasn't been announced yet.

Sorry about your job. Start your own company. Quit making other assholes rich. Maybe not yet formally or completely announced, but isn't there a partial list of televised games? To me no big deal if 2 more ND network games. I want to see some FSN games.......maybe even an ESPNU regular season game someday.

b15on
08-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Maybe not yet formally or completely announced, but isn't there a partial list of televised games? To me no big deal if 2 more ND network games. I want to see some FSN games.......maybe even an ESPNU regular season game someday.

ESPNU does have the rights to games for the Missouri Valley Football Conference so maybe there's a chance. (that is according to Wikipedia so who knows how legit that is)

SDbison
08-07-2012, 05:18 AM
ESPNU does have the rights to games for the Missouri Valley Football Conference so maybe there's a chance. (that is according to Wikipedia so who knows how legit that is) Youngstown's name is still nationally recognized and NDSU's games against them have always been a battle. Would be an awesome game for ESPNU to televise if they only televise a few FCS regular season games each year.

NDSUstudent
08-07-2012, 05:19 AM
I fully expect the TV coverage will be improved from last year, I think one sign of that is that there is only one night game and if you want FSN to televise any games they need to be played earlier in the day.

That said our coverage last year was better than any other team in the area, looking back our TV coverage seems to improve each year and after a national title I highly doubt that trend will change.

HerdBot
08-07-2012, 05:20 AM
Maybe not yet formally or completely announced, but isn't there a partial list of televised games? To me no big deal if 2 more ND network games. I want to see some FSN games.......maybe even an ESPNU regular season game someday.

I think that was a BS list. Not official. Although I would image the fox college sports games were legit and the espn3 Youngstown game.. I think at the least its going to be as good as last year. I think the delay is probably for good reasons. I am hopefully HD is in the works or something with FSN North or plus. Well know soon. I have faith in GT

SDbison
08-07-2012, 05:27 AM
I think that was a BS list. Not official. Although I would image the fox college sports games were legit. I think at the least its going to be as good as last year. I think the delay is probably for good reasons. I am hopefully HD is in the works or something with FSN North or plus. Well know soon. I have faith in GT
I hope so........actually, before the ND locals get on my case about how great the current TV schedule is......I just hope better regional televising of games happen as I may have to sell my season tickets for several games this season since I may not have the funds to travel and possibly stay overnight if I don't find a job soon. Watching at a local bar or on internet (sucks) will be my only options since I already suspended my DirecTV for a while (that really sucks).

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 02:36 AM
Still no announcement. Were a week later than prior years. I could care less about the announcement as long as its good

344Johnson
08-08-2012, 03:18 AM
Still no announcement. Were a week later than prior years. I could care less about the announcement as long as its good

As someone who gets to go to all of the home games, and as someone who has a dad who loves driving to certain away games (USD, NDSU, Minnesota, CSU, possibly Northern Iowa this year), I don't fret as much as some about the television coverage as much as many on here do.

It would be great though if we could get a kickass television deal. FSN would be great, if we continue doing very well and keep putting not just a quality, but an entertaining product on the field, I have no doubt we can get a good tv deal at some point.

North Side
08-08-2012, 03:42 AM
Statewide TV coverage in important to expose our selves to gain a new fan base. I really hope NBC ND has a lot of games! Can't wait til NDSU releases the news!

NorthernBison
08-08-2012, 12:37 PM
I fully expect the TV coverage will be improved from last year, I think one sign of that is that there is only one night game and if you want FSN to televise any games they need to be played earlier in the day.

That said our coverage last year was better than any other team in the area, looking back our TV coverage seems to improve each year and after a national title I highly doubt that trend will change.

I think the game times are a huge "tell" regarding possible regional TV coverage. I picked up on that when I got the schedule too. At the very least, somebody at NDSU decided to make it as easy as possible for FSNN to pick up NDSU football games.

What we need ND and Regional coverage for is our fans who can't get to games and that pool of fans just got larger since there aren't tickets available for individual game sale. The ND coverage is fine and not to be scoffed at because, face it, most of the people who care are in the State. FSNN is a big upgrade though because it picks up all the ND people plus SD and MN.

Our online system is a JOKE. That MUST improve because we need it for the games that no smart TV exec is going to sign up for (Prairie View, RMU, etc) Once again, that's for our loyal fans who can't get to the games for whatever reason. Picking up measurable numbers of brand new fans is overrated and their loyalty is fleeting at best.

I have no "inside knowledge" of the Industry so I'm just going off of what I would or wouldn't watch. BTW, "atmosphere" doesn't come across on TV. Don't believe me? Rewatch the MN game if you were there and decide if the broadcast captured the energy of the crowd and the game itself. IMO, it didn't. Never does.

Really want NEW fans? Get them to a real game at the Fargodome. TV won't do it.

SDbison
08-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I think the game times are a huge "tell" regarding possible regional TV coverage. I picked up on that when I got the schedule too. At the very least, somebody at NDSU decided to make it as easy as possible for FSNN to pick up NDSU football games.

What we need ND and Regional coverage for is our fans who can't get to games and that pool of fans just got larger since there aren't tickets available for individual game sale. The ND coverage is fine and not to be scoffed at because, face it, most of the people who care are in the State. FSNN is a big upgrade though because it picks up all the ND people plus SD and MN.

Our online system is a JOKE. That MUST improve because we need it for the games that no smart TV exec is going to sign up for (Prairie View, RMU, etc) Once again, that's for our loyal fans who can't get to the games for whatever reason. Picking up measurable numbers of brand new fans is overrated and their loyalty is fleeting at best.

I have no "inside knowledge" of the Industry so I'm just going off of what I would or wouldn't watch. BTW, "atmosphere" doesn't come across on TV. Don't believe me? Rewatch the MN game if you were there and decide if the broadcast captured the energy of the crowd and the game itself. IMO, it didn't. Never does.

Really want NEW fans? Get them to a real game at the Fargodome. TV won't do it.How do you get new fans to the game at the Fargodome when they are all sold out? TV is the only way to maintain and grow the fan base since the Fargodome likely cannot be expanded.

NorthernBison
08-08-2012, 01:29 PM
How do you get new fans to the game at thethe Fargodome when they are all sold out? TV is the only way to maintain and grow the fan base since the Fargodome likely cannot be expanded.

TV will maintain the fanbase. It won't do much to grow it. How many people that currently aren't fans will sit inside on Saturdays in the Fall watching NDSU football? I wouldn't do it for any other team.

There are opportunities to get some new fans by getting them to games. Last year, there were people in our tailgate group who had unused tickets and got them into the hands of friends who hadn't been to games in years and a couple who had never been to games at the Fargodome. Those new people got HOOKED and most of them bought season tickets this year. TV can't do that.

SDbison
08-08-2012, 01:37 PM
TV will maintain the fanbase. It won't do much to grow it. How many people that currently aren't fans will sit inside on Saturdays in the Fall watching NDSU football? I wouldn't do it for any other team.

There are opportunities to get some new fans by getting them to games. Last year, there were people in our tailgate group who had unused tickets and got them into the hands of friends who hadn't been to games in years and a couple who had never been to games at the Fargodome. Those new people got HOOKED and most of them bought season tickets this year. TV can't do that.

Sorry but I disagree totally. You are talking about finding tickets for a few new fans that likely won't have that much drive to pursue them on their own since they are new and tickets are scarce. I am talking about thousands of fans that TV can reach. Apparently you don't understand how powerful TV is at reaching people..........why do you think companies spend so much on TV advertising?

bisonaudit
08-08-2012, 01:44 PM
How do you get new fans to the game at the Fargodome when they are all sold out? TV is the only way to maintain and grow the fan base since the Fargodome likely cannot be expanded.

Well it's sold out now and it wasn't before so I think that strongly implies that new fans will be in the building.

Also, just because NDSU has no tickets to sell doesn't mean that a new fan can't get tickets.

TV is powerful for both retaining loyal fans and attracting new ones. A lot of people fans that have a strong attachment to the program only attend a game or two a year in person and many more of the new fans will behave the same way because of distance or other priorities or whatever. Get them in the building once or twice and they're more likely to follow the team on TV even though it can't replicate the atmosphere.

It's a long term investment. Advertisers love sports because its one of the few things in broadcasting that is resistant to time shifting. Build that eyeball count and over time you're going to generate revenue for the program and interest in NDSU.

SDbison
08-08-2012, 01:52 PM
Well it's sold out now and it wasn't before so I think that strongly implies that new fans will be in the building.
ng to
Also, just because NDSU has no tickets to sell doesn't mean that a new fan can't get tickets. How come I knew you wouldn't agree with me. Here I thought you were a numbers person by trade. You are really gong to say getting a few more new fans tickets is greater than the exposure of TV.........especially when the Fargodome is sold out. Wow!

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 01:56 PM

Really want NEW fans? Get them to a real game at the Fargodome. TV won't do it.

TV is the #1 way to attract new fans. Its a 3 hour advertisement. Its a driving force to get a bunch of fans together and it creates tradition. Why do the Vikings have a massive fan base in North Dakota? TV. Why do the Cubs have a giant national fan base? National TV games on WGN. Wrigley Field didnt always have the mystique. It was WGN and the images of fans watching on roof tops that did it.

bisonaudit
08-08-2012, 02:07 PM
How come I knew you wouldn't agree with me. Here I thought you were a numbers person by trade. You are really gong to say getting a few more new fans tickets is greater than the exposure of TV.........especially when the Fargodome is sold out. Wow!

I don't disagree with the idea that TV is great exposure for the program. I've consistently advocated for it even before the building was sold out. I think that blackout policies and the general notion the TV cannibalizes tickets sales are at least short-sighted if not outright wrong headed.

I also think that the in person experience can't be replicated and that you are going to have new fans in the building because 1) someone is buying tickets now that wasn't before and 2) there will be fewer empty seats in the season ticket holder sections and part of the reason why is because there will be a more active secondary market for those tickets some of whom will be new fans.

I don't think this is an either or situation. I think it's both. They can attract and retain fans new and old through the in person and the TV experience.

BisonTeacher
08-08-2012, 02:35 PM
Has anyone contacted the athletic department and asked when it will be released?

Bison"FANatic"
08-08-2012, 02:48 PM
I don't disagree with the idea that TV is great exposure for the program. I've consistently advocated for it even before the building was sold out. I think that blackout policies and the general notion the TV cannibalizes tickets sales are at least short-sighted if not outright wrong headed.

I also think that the in person experience can't be replicated and that you are going to have new fans in the building because 1) someone is buying tickets now that wasn't before and 2) there will be fewer empty seats in the season ticket holder sections and part of the reason why is because there will be a more active secondary market for those tickets some of whom will be new fans.

I don't think this is an either or situation. I think it's both. They can attract and retain fans new and old through the in person and the TV experience.

Holy cow, look to the skies people as something big has to be about to happen.

I do believe Bison Audit and I actually see something the same way. It might be the first time Bison Audit was right on here in a long time:biggrin::biggrin:.

bisonaudit
08-08-2012, 03:05 PM
Holy cow, look to the skies people as something big has to be about to happen.

I do believe Bison Audit and I actually see something the same way. It might be the first time Bison Audit was right on here in a long time:biggrin::biggrin:.

Don't worry, the season is almost here. Which means it's only a matter of time before the inevitable clash about too much punting, the futility of judging kickers based on field goals, or, god forbid, the nonexistence of clutchness as a skill. At which point all will be set right with the world. :)

runtheoption
08-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Statewide TV coverage in important to expose our selves to gain a new fan base. I really hope NBC ND has a lot of games! Can't wait til NDSU releases the news!

We're going streaking up through the quad and into the gymnasium! Come on everybody, come on!

BisonTeacher
08-08-2012, 04:03 PM
We're going streaking up through the quad and into the gymnasium! Come on everybody, come on!

You can bring your green hat! Snoop a loop!

NorthernBison
08-08-2012, 04:38 PM
TV is the #1 way to attract new fans. Its a 3 hour advertisement. Its a driving force to get a bunch of fans together and it creates tradition. Why do the Vikings have a massive fan base in North Dakota? TV. Why do the Cubs have a giant national fan base? National TV games on WGN. Wrigley Field didnt always have the mystique. It was WGN and the images of fans watching on roof tops that did it.

Stop using the NFL as a comparison.

The NFL is built for TV.

College football is all about the gameday experience at the stadium.

Take off the green and gold glasses for a moment and honsetly contemplate what would make NDSU football attractive to the masses across the region when viewed on TV (I'm talking about people who aren't really following Bison football now).

A. The tremendous TV production that captures the essence of the Fargodome experience? (you know, the coverage we all complain about)
B. The wild and crazy Fargodome crowd? (You know, the knitters and book readers that we always complain about)
C. The "kick ass" logos that we just adopted to brand our program? (nuff said)
D. The quality of OOC opposition that comes to the Fargodome? (RMU and PrairieView)

I'm sorry if I don't agree with the kool aid drinkers on the value of all these TV games in attracting NEW FANS. The importance is for current fans primarily. You know, the people who are currently wanting to watch the Bison.

I tend to judge based on my own preferences. If the Bison aren't on TV, I prefer to be outside golfing, hunting, fishing, etc. If I am going to sit around watching college football, I'm looking for a FBS game between two highly ranked teams. No way do I take the time to watch anybody else (MAC, WAC, MWC or any FCS). I think most avid football fans are that way and I can assure you that casual fans are especially that way.

I'll go one step farther. I'm at every game in Fargo. When the Bison are on the road and it is televised, I DVR the game and go hunting, golfing, fishing or whatever else there is to do. TV can't attract this 20 year Teammaker over actually doing something else that is an option in our too short Fall season.

Want proof of how many people are watching FCS and lower regular season college football on TV? Check out how many games are on the "second tier" sports networks. Not many. There's a reason for that. Not to mention the fact the ZERO of these games are on ESPN and the Major networks.

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Stop using the NFL as a comparison.

The NFL is built for TV.

College football is all about the gameday experience at the stadium.

Take off the green and gold glasses for a moment and honsetly contemplate what would make NDSU football attractive to the masses across the region when viewed on TV (I'm talking about people who aren't really following Bison football now).

A. The tremendous TV production that captures the essence of the Fargodome experience? (you know, the coverage we all complain about)
B. The wild and crazy Fargodome crowd? (You know, the knitters and book readers that we always complain about)
C. The "kick ass" logos that we just adopted to brand our program? (nuff said)
D. The quality of OOC opposition that comes to the Fargodome? (RMU and PrairieView)

I'm sorry if I don't agree with the kool aid drinkers on the value of all these TV games in attracting NEW FANS. The importance is for current fans primarily. You know, the people who are currently wanting to watch the Bison.

I tend to judge based on my own preferences. If the Bison aren't on TV, I prefer to be outside golfing, hunting, fishing, etc. If I am going to sit around watching college football, I'm looking for a FBS game between two highly ranked teams. No way do I take the time to watch anybody else (MAC, WAC, MWC or any FCS). I think most avid football fans are that way and I can assure you that casual fans are especially that way.

I'll go one step farther. I'm at every game in Fargo. When the Bison are on the road and it is televised, I DVR the game and go hunting, golfing, fishing or whatever else there is to do. TV can't attract this 20 year Teammaker over actually doing something else that is an option in our too short Fall season.

Want proof of how many people are watching FCS and lower regular season college football on TV? Check out how many games are on the "second tier" sports networks. Not many. There's a reason for that. Not to mention the fact the ZERO of these games are on ESPN and the Major networks.

Football is built for TV. Not just the NFL. The college ratings are huge. The difference between the 2 is production. Our atmosphere is awesome and tbe best way to capture it is through TV. Once you go to a game, your hooked. But we cant do that with shit production. Although weve been lucky since many of our top moments were captured on TV. The GS game looked incredible. In this day and age if its not on You Tube it didn't happen

Hadnt we dramatically increased our TV coverage 6 years ago we wouldn't have seen the growth. What if nobody saw Walker to Heckendorf against Sam Houston? Thats powerful shit. You sound like the former SDSU president. If thats what you believe great but dont discredit the rest of us for believing tv is important

EDIT. Remember Tyler Roehl saying he chose the Bison after watching the Montana game? He committed the next day.

Bison03
08-08-2012, 05:09 PM
I would be happy with having all game tv in the state of north dakota to all service providers. As much as I like going to a bar and watching a road game broadcast from an internet feed, I would rather have games on Fox College Sports with announcers that are familiar with FCS/Valley football. All of our home games should be, at minimum, on ND statewide TV. If the news can be in HD, certainly the ability for football games to be in HD is there. I think the regional exposure of the football team is important. There are a lot of Bison fans not in Fargo or in Fargo without tickets that want to see their team play. Getting the games to them is important. We don't need to pretend and claim we are bigger than what we are, and that is ok. Even Gopher football will always have more exposure and fans than NDSU football if you include the entire ND, SD, MN region, and that's ok. Get Bison football to everyone in ND.

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 05:16 PM
I would be happy with having all game tv in the state of north dakota to all service providers. As much as I like going to a bar and watching a road game broadcast from an internet feed, I would rather have games on Fox College Sports with announcers that are familiar with FCS/Valley football. All of our home games should be, at minimum, on ND statewide TV. If the news can be in HD, certainly the ability for football games to be in HD is there. I think the regional exposure of the football team is important. There are a lot of Bison fans not in Fargo or in Fargo without tickets that want to see their team play. Getting the games to them is important. We don't need to pretend and claim we are bigger than what we are, and that is ok. Even Gopher football will always have more exposure and fans than NDSU football if you include the entire ND, SD, MN region, and that's ok. Get Bison football to everyone in ND.

Agree on statewide. Its not about pretending were bigger than we are. Its about making the games accessible to tens of thousands of alumni who live in Minnesota. Thats why I want FSN North mixed with statewide. We need regional coverage more than National. Games in New York do nothing for us. Other benefits... marketing to future students

Make it accessible in ND, SD, MN, WI and a little Nebraska, Iowa, and Illinois. Main recruiting area

Gully
08-08-2012, 05:27 PM
I pretty much started following NDSU football on television when I was a little kid. Now that I'm hooked, I go to all the home games, but that's not how I started. FSN would be huge, in my opinion. Beyond just casual fans, recruits would know their friends and family could watch.

As for production, HD, etc., it's never that big of a deal to me. It's more of a nice to have. What I'm looking for is the football itself. If we can get HD, then great. My first priority would be to actually be able to watch away games on a normal TV without a computer.

BisonTeacher
08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Im hoping for FSN-Fargo girls!!!!!!

Start auditions!

NorthernBison
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Football is built for TV. Not just the NFL. The college ratings are huge. The difference between the 2 is production. Our atmosphere is awesome and tbe best way to capture it is through TV. Once you go to a game, your hooked. But we cant do that with shit production. Although weve been lucky since many of our top moments were captured on TV. The GS game looked incredible. In this day and age if its not on You Tube it didn't happen

Hadnt we dramatically increased our TV coverage 6 years ago we wouldn't have seen the growth. What if nobody saw Walker to Heckendorf against Sam Houston? Thats powerful shit. You sound like the former SDSU president. If thats what you believe great but dont discredit the rest of us for believing tv is important

EDIT. Remember Tyler Roehl saying he chose the Bison after watching the Montana game? He committed the next day.

1. College ratings are huge for FBS COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Don't confuse this discussion with that.
2. The Fargodome atmosphere does NOT come through on TV. For most home games that "atmosphere" is not close to GSU.
3. I never said TV wasn't important. I just think it won't drastically INCREASE interest from non-fans. It's for people who are already fans.
4. Tyler Roehl? Wasn't he a Fargo kid? You're telling me that ONE TV game was the REASON he decided on NDSU? Because of the TV exposure? WTF are you taking? The same drugs that make you think of expanding the Fargodome?

I'd love to see a number of games on FSN. I just wonder what the cost will be. Will NDSU get anything out of it or will FSN want to get paid for it? Who needs who more? That might be what is taking some time to figure out.

In case you didn't notice, the ND NBC coverage ran the same commercials over and over and over. Those were ND interests marketing directly to a relatively small audience. How would FSN market and what's it worth?

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 08:51 PM
1. College ratings are huge for FBS COLLEGE FOOTBALL. Don't confuse this discussion with that.Well have to disagree on that. If your comparing it to the NFL it's lower but college football is the 2nd biggest sports and gets higher ratings than professional basketball and hockey. I guess it depends on markets too. Around here it's obviously a big deal. I guarantee you more people in North Dakota watch Bison football than the NBA (or BCS football for that matter)
2. The Fargodome atmosphere does NOT come through on TV. For most home games that "atmosphere" is not close to GSU. HD will take care of much of that. We must have better production. We all agree the ESPN game looked amazing. We'll never have production THAT GOOD but we can get it to where it's watchable
3. I never said TV wasn't important. I just think it won't drastically INCREASE interest from non-fans. It's for people who are already fans.tons of fairweather fans here. and if you look at the attendance increases year over year it's obviously making a difference. Even 3-8 didn't hurt us that much. You seem to think we're maxed out. I say we haven't scratched the surface
4. Tyler Roehl? Wasn't he a Fargo kid? You're telling me that ONE TV game was the REASON he decided on NDSU? Because of the TV exposure? WTF are you taking? The same drugs that make you think of expanding the Fargodome? Tyler Roehl was quoted as saying that in the paper. He and another guy, I think it was the TE from southr. If you want ask him if he was misquoted go ahead.He was obviously inspired. And ripping on me for having the vision to expand the dome means I'm on drugs? Sounds like you would be content if we were still D2. Am I wrong?

I'd love to see a number of games on FSN. I just wonder what the cost will be. Will NDSU get anything out of it or will FSN want to get paid for it? Who needs who more? That might be what is taking some time to figure out.

In case you didn't notice, the ND NBC coverage ran the same commercials over and over and over. Those were ND interests marketing directly to a relatively small audience. How would FSN market and what's it worth? we obviously made money on tv. besides they put high school games and D2on fsn north. And I could be wrong but I think we buy the blocks of air time and earn all the revenue

I responded above in bold

THEsocalledfan
08-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Don't say this often, but score one for Gabe. I also despise "small time" thinking.

HerdBot
08-08-2012, 10:04 PM
Don't say this often, but score one for Gabe. I also despise "small time" thinking.

we agree more than you think unless were talking about bat shit crazy! :)

MOTBison
08-09-2012, 02:31 AM
If FSN would pick up the NDSU football season I would subscribe to Direct TV or any other nationwide provider that day. I have a unique position where it seems every football season I am living in a different location in the US. It would be great if I could watch the games on TV wherever I am living. If not, I will still watch the feed online.

HerdBot
08-09-2012, 02:11 PM
If FSN would pick up the NDSU football season I would subscribe to Direct TV or any other nationwide provider that day. I have a unique position where it seems every football season I am living in a different location in the US. It would be great if I could watch the games on TV wherever I am living. If not, I will still watch the feed online.

That's the beauty of FSN Nortb. In addition to being available on basic cable to everyone in ND, SD, MN, and much of Iowa and Wisconsin- any DirecTV customer can add it as part of the sports pack for $11 per month and they can cancel it when the season is over.

NorthernBison
08-10-2012, 04:28 PM

Not much of which really disputes what I already said. There's been a reason why we have only been on ND NBC.

Maybe we'll get a big deal with FSN. If we don't, what does that say? It's all about the money.

BTW, I think you are giving way too much credit for the attendance increases to TV. I think the better on-field product and the tailgating and atmosphere have more to do with it. Otherwise people would be staying at home and watching it on TV. Once again, where would real fans rather be?

I'm not ready to criticize the Marketing folks for not getting games on FSN. They've done a good job with the ND NBC coverage. I don't know what they are up against in getting a deal with FSN or what kind of restrictions we have due to the MVFC TV deal that is in place already.

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 04:31 PM
I keep posting this but nobody responded.

Did the athletic department say when they were going to release it or has anyone called and asked?

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 04:35 PM
I keep posting this but nobody responded.

Did the athletic department say when they were going to release it or has anyone called and asked?

Haven't asked... typically it's released August 1st or 2nd... something is brewing HOPEFULLY

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Haven't asked... typically it's released August 1st or 2nd... something is brewing HOPEFULLY

Seems like theres a simple solution then.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Seems like theres a simple solution then.

I just hope they show some patience and get the best deal. It's not like we have any tickets left

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 04:50 PM
I just hope they show some patience and get the best deal. It's not like we have any tickets left

Not what i meant lol. Call or email them and ask when they plan on releasing it. Im rooting for fsn.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 06:15 PM
Not what i meant lol. Call or email them and ask when they plan on releasing it. Im rooting for fsn.

Email Troy Goergen and Justin Swanson
troy.m.goergen@ndsu.edu
Justin.swanson@ndsu.edu

NorthernBison
08-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Email Troy Goergen and Justin Swanson
troy.m.goergen@ndsu.edu
Justin.swanson@ndsu.edu

Why bother them with questions they likely can't answer?

I've known Justin and his family forever and consider them all to be close friends. No chance he is giving out information to you, me or any other fool that might spread it around on a message board.

I'd love to know what all goes into putting a deal like this together. What kind of dollars/risk is involved? How does the MVFC TV deal affect either side of the negotiation?

SlickVic
08-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Fsn huh. My baby girl marney gelner is takin classes at NDSU according to my man Walter Cronkite even had meetings with bin staff fsn?

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 06:36 PM
Why bother them with questions they likely can't answer?

I've known Justin and his family forever and consider them all to be close friends. No chance he is giving out information to you, me or any other fool that might spread it around on a message board.

I'd love to know what all goes into putting a deal like this together. What kind of dollars/risk is involved? How does the MVFC TV deal affect either side of the negotiation?

Reread what i wrote. I didnt say ask them what the tv schedule is...i said ask them if they know when it will be released. Is that so bothersome for them? Come on dude! They can say...we dont know yet. Its ok.

NorthernBison
08-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Reread what i wrote. I didnt say ask them what the tv schedule is...i said ask them if they know when it will be released. Is that so bothersome for them? Come on dude! They can say...we dont know yet. Its ok.

Did you email them and ask? Gabe gave you the addresses.

Maybe you'll get a date from them or maybe they will say no comment. Either way, you got nothing of substance and you took some of their time. I don't really care but think about it.

BTW, not frustrated with you. Maybe Gabe should include an email to Bohl about contacting the Honey Badger since he's been lobbying about how that moron would be a good add to our team. (probably a good preposterous entry)

aces1180
08-10-2012, 06:44 PM

Maybe you'll get a date from them or maybe they will say no comment. Either way, you got nothing of substance and you took some of their time. I don't really care but think about it.

Sorry, but those employees are in very public positions and should be expected to work with the fans when warranted. Their time is important, but it already includes public relations activities.

HerdBot
08-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Sorry, but those employees are in very public positions and should be expected to work with the fans when warranted. Their time is important, but it already includes public relations activities.

I email Troy and he responds. Just found out the bolt is gone from the helmets.

aces1180
08-10-2012, 06:46 PM
I email Troy and he responds. Just found out the bolt is gone from the helmets.

Troy is very good at dealing with the public (and media when warranted).

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 06:46 PM

BTW, not frustrated with you. Maybe Gabe should include an email to Bohl about contacting the Honey Badger since he's been lobbying about how that moron would be a good add to our team. (probably a good preposterous entry)

We need to work on your reading skills. You can join the class i will be starting for RTO. I was suggesting asking them to those who kept complaining it was not out yet.

NorthernBison
08-10-2012, 06:51 PM
We need to work on your reading skills. You can join the class i will be starting for rto. I was suggesting asking them to thosecwho kept complaining it was not out yet.

Now I get it. I was wondering why you wanted somebody else to ask. :facepalm2:

BisonTeacher
08-10-2012, 06:53 PM
I was wondering why you wanted somebody else to ask.

And...
I hate to be the guy that keeps bringing up their kid...but I got him in one hand sleeping and typing on here on my phone with only my thumb. Thats why I keep making so many spelling mistakes today. So pun intended...my hands are a little full.

KSBisonFan
08-10-2012, 10:37 PM
And...
I hate to bethe guy that keeps bringing up their kid...but I got him in one hand sleeping and typing on here on my phone with only my thumb. Thats why I keep making so many spelling mistakes today. So pun intended...my hands are a little full.

Isn't that your job as a father? C'mon man! :biggrin:

Gully
08-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Yes, but is he really the "father"?

TbonZach
08-10-2012, 10:58 PM
I hate to be the guy that keeps bringing up their kid...

Isn't that your job as a father? C'mon man! :biggrin:

This seems appropriate.

http://poorlydrawnlines.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bragging.jpg

344Johnson
08-11-2012, 12:51 AM
And...
I hate to be the guy that keeps bringing up their kid...but I got him in one hand sleeping and typing on here on my phone with only my thumb. Thats why I keep making so many spelling mistakes today. So pun intended...my hands are a little full.

I want to borrow the child and walk around campus for a day. Then my hands could be full with women.

BisonTeacher
08-11-2012, 01:14 AM
Yes, but is he really the "father"?

Gully...we never actually swapped wives...we just talked about it.

aces1180
08-13-2012, 07:36 PM
The 2012 TV schedule will be announced tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1 pm...This according to NDSU's FB page.

NorthernBison
08-13-2012, 07:40 PM
The 2012 TV schedule will be announced tomorrow (Tuesday) at 1 pm...This according to NDSU's FB page.

MAJOR Announcement. That assures me it has to be more than ND NBC. Great thing for our fans out of the immediate area.

344Johnson
08-13-2012, 07:46 PM
MAJOR Announcement. That assures me it has to be more than ND NBC. Great thing for our fans out of the immediate area.

I won't get my hopes up for anything special until I see the announcement.

NorthernBison
08-13-2012, 07:49 PM
I won't get my hopes up for anything special until I see the announcement.

The announcement on Facebook said MAJOR. My hopes are up because of that.

TransAmBison
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
The announcement on Facebook said MAJOR. My hopes are up because of that.They are also responsible for the new logos...I'll reserve judgement for later...

KSBisonFan
08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/q598/jghoffman12/major-award1.jpg

KSBisonFan
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
They are also responsible for the new logos...I'll reserve judgement for later...

Speaking of which.....GoBison All Access still shows the "Metrosexual" head logo in the corner complete with frosted hair. I thought this thing was revised and never to be seen again??

THEsocalledfan
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Man, I hope you are right. But, technically, ESPN3 can be seen out of area.......

TransAmBison
08-13-2012, 08:02 PM
Speaking of which.....GoBison All Access still shows the "Metrosexual" head logo in the corner complete with frosted hair. I thought this thing was revised and never to be seen again??
Every time I see that logo out in public I hang my head in shame. We were out yesterday and the wife showed me some new logo Bison stickers to put on AG's establishment...and I couldn't even put those on his yard...

runtheoption
08-13-2012, 08:11 PM
We need to work on your reading skills. You can join the class i will be starting for RTO. I was suggesting asking them to those who kept complaining it was not out yet.

It took me 3 days of reading this to figure out you were ripping on me. That class cannot start soon enough.

runtheoption
08-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Gully...we never actually swapped wives...we just talked about it.

Don't feel special, BT, Gully tries this with everyone.

TheBisonator
08-13-2012, 08:32 PM

FSN contract, FSN contract, FSN contract......

344Johnson
08-13-2012, 08:48 PM
FSN contract, FSN contract, FSN contract......

NBC cancelling national contract with Notre Dame and replacing them with teh Bison? I can dream right?

aces1180
08-13-2012, 08:51 PM
NBC cancelling national contract with Notre Dame and replacing them with teh Bison? I can dream right?

Why not? That Notre Dame contract isn't worth shit anymore...The Irish are nothing special and won't be again for a long time.

344Johnson
08-13-2012, 08:54 PM
Why not? That Notre Dame contract isn't worth shit anymore...The Irish are nothing special and won't be again for a long time.

A.) watch how you talk about my Irish.
B.) Notre Dame still has the "Subway Alumni" of fans who watch.
C.) We are coming back. We are. ND.
D.) everyone has an opinion on Notre Dame. Hence they get to be on TV.

In Kelly We Trust.

aces1180
08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
A.) watch how you talk about my Irish.
B.) Notre Dame still has the "Subway Alumni" of fans who watch.
C.) We are coming back. We are. ND.
D.) everyone has an opinion on Notre Dame. Hence they get to be on TV.

In Kelly We Trust.

I'm half kidding...I have a good friend, who graduated from NDSU, who would rather watch the Irish play Air Force on NBC than come up to the dome to tailgate and watch a Bison game...It annoys the crap out of me, so I was taking part of my frustration out on you. I laugh at him with Bison games pre-empt the Irish games.

Good luck with the comeback...Just remember they share the same initials as that crap hole up north...Birds of a feather, stay together.

344Johnson
08-13-2012, 09:10 PM
Good luck with the comeback...Just remember they share the same initials as that crap hole up north...Birds of a feather, stay together.

Ducks fly together!

QUACK! QUACK! QUACK! QUACK!

goyotes
08-13-2012, 09:13 PM
http://www.bisonville.com/forum/showthread.php?27794-Tv-Deal/page10 has reference to interview I heard to on "Calling All Sports" that referred to Bison TV coverage for the upcoming season.

Kermit
08-13-2012, 09:16 PM

I have no inside info, but my guess is statewide NBC with Brian Shawn on play-by-play.

TAILG8R
08-13-2012, 09:19 PM
I have no inside info, but my guess is statewide NBC with Brian Shawn on play-by-play.

That would be my guess as well. It being a major announcement because it will be all games and because they can announce them all before the season instead of picking them up throughout the year based on fan interest.

HerdBot
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM

I dont think Shawn or Statewide coverage would be considered major. They did use the word MAJOR.

If I had to predict...

HD productions or FSN North or simulcasts on ESPN3 with statewide. Maybe the return of Big Eddie! Kidding

markerman
08-13-2012, 09:26 PM
That would be my guess as well. It being a major announcement because it will be all games and because they can announce them all before the season instead of picking them up throughout the year based on fan interest.

I am predicting statewide NBC for all games with the exception of Southern Illinois and SDSU, which will be on some larger network (FSN-North, Fox College Sports, CBS College Sports, etc.).

I also noticed that the game time for Illinois State has been changed to 12pm. Not sure if that has to do with TV or what.

BisonTeacher
08-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I dont think Shawn or Statewide coverage would be considered major. They did use the word MAJOR.

If I had to predict...

HD productions or FSN North or simulcasts on ESPN3 with statewide. Maybe the return of Big Eddie! Kidding

I think your going to be disappointed. What they think is major is probably not what you consider major. They probably considered the logo change major. I truly hope im wrong and want them on fsn badly...but i doubt it.

HerdBot
08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Re
I think your going to be disappointed. What they think is major is probably not what you consider major. They probably considered the logo change major. I truly hope im wrong and want them on fsn badly...but i doubt it.

Having every game televised, home and road, would be major in my books. HD would be major major. Anything better could be considered epic.

TransAmBison
08-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Having every game televised, home and road, would be major in my books. HD would be major.They would consider every home game major. Would not count on all road games being televised...

Answer Guy
08-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Every time I go out in public with my husband, I hang my head in shame.

I am shocked.

HerdBot
08-13-2012, 10:32 PM
They would consider every home game major. Would not count on all road games being televised...

That's pretty much become the norm so if they consider the norm a major announcement I will be disappointed. We had the spring game on TV for Christs sake!

Gully
08-13-2012, 10:34 PM
Don't feel special, BT, Gully tries this with everyone.

Ya, I try it with everyone, but I was only successful with your wife.

Gully
08-13-2012, 10:38 PM
I'm not going to get my hopes up. Some road games on a dish/cable network is what I really want. Even one or two would be great.

If statewide TV for all home games is considered major, I give up.

badger04
08-13-2012, 10:55 PM
All home games on Fox Sports North Plus!!! and statewide!!

Swany
08-13-2012, 11:21 PM
Given the number of folks who claim to be "die hard" Bison fans on this board, the number of cynical bastards who frequently complain about even positive news surrounding our program is nothing short of astonishing.

Some of you -- you know who you are -- even take some pride in your cynicism and actively seek to point out a "flaw" in good news like "a major announcement" about television coverage. Are you serious? No really, think about what you're complaining about. You're complaining that our athletic department is going to have a press conference with a major television announcement - because somehow, in your skewed version of reality that isn't good enough for you? How in any world, for a major FCS program like NDSU, hell, for any Division I football program, is there any scintilla of bad news in that? Are you entitled to your opinion? Absolutely. And so am I -- and I think your opinion is sad. I think your attitude is awful and I question how you can call yourself a "fan" as opposed to a "zealot."

Maybe it's because I don't like complaining, whiners, or cry babies who have a problem with, and/or complain, about every single thing our athletic department or Team Makers does. Or maybe it's just because I'm sick and tired of reading your garbage on this board. It should be noted most people here have good insight, are positive, and, when need be, bring appropriate questions/issues to the forefront. That is something totally separate and apart from complaining about getting new field turf because you don't like the logo, whining because you think our new logo is blasphemy, or crying foul because we're having a press conference for a major announcement. That certainly doesn't embody "the strength of the Herd" or Bison Pride.

So for all you cynical bastards out there, this one is for you. :fight:

GO BISON!

TheBisonator
08-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Given the number of folks who claim to be "die hard" Bison fans on this board, the number of cynical bastards who frequently complain about even positive news surrounding our program is nothing short of astonishing.

Some of you -- you know who you are -- even take some pride in your cynicism and actively seek to point out a "flaw" in good news like "a major announcement" about television coverage. Are you serious? No really, think about what you're complaining about. You're complaining that our athletic department is going to have a press conference with a major television announcement - because somehow, in your skewed version of reality that isn't good enough for you? How in any world, for a major FCS program like NDSU, hell, for any Division I football program, is there any scintilla of bad news in that? Are you entitled to your opinion? Absolutely. And so am I -- and I think your opinion is sad. I think your attitude is awful and I question how you can call yourself a "fan" as opposed to a "zealot."

Maybe it's because I don't like complaining, whiners, or cry babies who have a problem with, and/or complain, about every single thing our athletic department or Team Makers does. Or maybe it's just because I'm sick and tired of reading your garbage on this board. It should be noted most people here have good insight, are positive, and, when need be, bring appropriate questions/issues to the forefront. That is something totally separate and apart from complaining about getting new field turf because you don't like the logo, whining because you think our new logo is blasphemy, or crying foul because we're having a press conference for a major announcement. That certainly doesn't embody "the strength of the Herd" or Bison Pride.

GO BISON!

You are 100 percent on the mark, Justin or Josh. GREAT POST!!

I personally think it will be something better than we've had in previous years, though I cannot say "how" much better or the specifics of the TV coverage.

BisonTeacher
08-13-2012, 11:29 PM

GO BISON!

http://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/2011/8/16/04b871fa-9247-4ca1-9882-5029b73119e9.jpg