PDA

View Full Version : UND riding NDSU coat tails in the polls

thebigund
06-21-2012, 02:37 PM
With what happened last year in the polls with both UND and NDSU being ranked how much higher will UND get ranked thanks to voters mixing them up with NDSU?
1-2 spots?
3-4 spots?
5-6 spots?

HerdBot
06-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Considering the NCAA thinks UND won the National Championship, I would move you guys all the way to #1

Bison03
06-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Oh great, another thread about UND. At least this one was started by a UND fan so the loonies at SS.com can't continue to claim all we talk about is UND over here. Since Kolpack brought up the week 3 poll from last year, people over there are going crazy about how nuts we all seem to be thinking that a mistake was made. At the same time refusing to accept the fact that a mixup was made. The latest is questioning Bison fans why they cant accept an 8-3 conference champion team being ranked. Well, in the poll that everyone is talking about, they were 1-2, coming off a loss and NDSU 3-0 coming off a bye. And another matter, yes; I disagree with an 8-3, excuse me, 5-3 when count only DI games, being ranked at the end of the year. I think now that now that NDSU has won a championship and that UND is in a real DI conference, a mixup in the polls probably won't happen. They will or will not be ranked on their own merits. The real question is, does anyone give the coaches poll with any respect anymore anyways?

WYOBISONMAN
06-21-2012, 03:31 PM
A dumbass poll, but I will vote.....LMAO!

bri-dog
06-21-2012, 03:33 PM
Well, shoot -- I guess if the poll options only go up to 5-6.....

56BISON73
06-21-2012, 03:43 PM
Oh great, another thread about UND. At least this one was started by a UND fan so the loonies at SS.com can't continue to claim all we talk about is UND over here. Since Kolpack brought up the week 3 poll from last year, people over there are going crazy about how nuts we all seem to be thinking that a mistake was made. At the same time refusing to accept the fact that a mixup was made. The latest is questioning Bison fans why they cant accept an 8-3 conference champion team being ranked. Well, in the poll that everyone is talking about, they were 1-2, coming off a loss and NDSU 3-0 coming off a bye. And another matter, yes; I disagree with an 8-3, excuse me, 5-3 when count only DI games, being ranked at the end of the year. I think now that now that NDSU has won a championship and that UND is in a real DI conference, a mixup in the polls probably won't happen. They will or will not be ranked on their own merits. The real question is, does anyone give the coaches poll with any respect anymore anyways?

Its was a five team conference meaning they only played 4 conference foes. Considering the fact that they also played a NAIA team I find the ranking dubious at best. I dont think I need to mention the rest of there schedule.

siouxdgj
06-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Considering the NCAA thinks UND won the National Championship, I would move you guys all the way to #1

I'm not certain I'd move UND all the way to #1, but I definitely think there's a coat tail effect going on here. I also suspect gabe is talking just a wee bit (maybe more than a wee bit) of tongue-firmly-embedded-into-his cheek.

MNLonghorn10
06-21-2012, 04:23 PM
i have und ahead of ndsu with their body of work in my poll, after last seasons magical run.

anything short of a football championship for this und squad is considered a failure. but if they do win, siouxsports.com will no longer consider a jv championship but a legit division 1 banner.

344Johnson
06-21-2012, 04:46 PM
i have und ahead of ndsu with their body of work in my poll, after last seasons magical run.

anything short of a football championship for this und squad is considered a failure. but if they do win, siouxsports.com will no longer consider a jv championship but a legit division 1 banner.

Cause...in 2012-2013 the FCS became a higher level with the additions of UND, Southern Utah, and USD.

4mcruenomore
06-21-2012, 04:55 PM
I doubt they even care, it's JV football

4mcruenomore
06-21-2012, 04:55 PM

Exactly, spot on.

heffray
06-21-2012, 05:28 PM
Well, shoot -- I guess if the poll options only go up to 5-6.....

No kidding... FACT: If no mix-ups were made on any polls, either from last year or this, UND wouldn't have even been mentioned on any poll, anywhere.

heffray
06-21-2012, 05:31 PM
Its was a five team conference meaning they only played 4 conference foes. Considering the fact that they also played a NAIA team I find the ranking dubious at best. I dont think I need to mention the rest of there schedule.

Good luck trying to convince any UND Fan of that. They will continue to be delusional as always. The trick is whether you let that delusion and stupidity bother you. I'm beginning to find this all very comical, especially with the whole nickname fiasco.

My mantra with the school up North has become, "Let them think what they want, I just don't care anymore."

NorthernBison
06-21-2012, 06:24 PM
I don't think there will be any confusion this year. Only a fool would deny the mixup last year.

FWIW, I expect to see them in the polls this year. Actually, I would not be shocked to see them in Fargo in December. Not a prediction so you can stop laughing.

They have 10 games that matter. Two are guaranteed losses, three could go either way, and the other five I think they have better personnel in. Best case will get them noticed.

* I should add that I voted for 1-2 spots because last year's mixup hasn't worn off and once you are in the polls, you have to work your way out. I am not convinced that will happen. That means they are already higher than they should be.

thebigund
06-21-2012, 07:06 PM
I think I may have underestimated the amount of impact NDSU coat tail riding will have on UND in the polls. 5-6 seemed kinda large when I was typing it but now that I think about it that number will be a most average. Too bad I don't have a key for infinity...

4mcruenomore
06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I think I may have underestimated the amount of impact NDSU coat tail riding will have on UND in the polls. 5-6 seemed kinda large when I was typing it but now that I think about it that number will be a most average. Too bad I don't have a key for infinity...

You already have 7 "real" DI banners, why do you care about a stupid poll?

TransAmBison
06-21-2012, 07:28 PM
I don't think there will be any confusion this year. Only a fool would deny the mixup last year.

There are millions of them. Heck, teh banner even went to the wrong skool. It will happen again sooner or later.

4mcruenomore
06-21-2012, 07:32 PM
How about a poll of UND's chances to make the playoffs next year? AlphaGriz1 states that there is a 0.0% chance of that happening. Seems teh hockies aren't getting much love from Griz country....

NorthernBison
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
How about a poll of UND's chances to make the playoffs next year? AlphaGriz1 states that there is a 0.0% chance of that happening. Seems teh hockies aren't getting much love from Griz country....

So, they seem to be about the same as Montana's chances. I wouldn't argue real long about either of them having much chance of extending their season.

thebigund
06-21-2012, 07:36 PM
You already have 7 "real" DI banners, why do you care about a stupid poll?
Sorry I'm not 'one of those' UND fans, I'm actually a bigger fan of football. Those hockey only fans treat UND like it's a minor league hockey team instead of a school.

4mcruenomore
06-21-2012, 07:38 PM
Sorry I'm not 'one of those' UND fans, I'm actually a bigger fan of football. Those hockey only fans treat UND like it's a minor league hockey team instead of a school.
Almost got me to give you positive rep, almost....I will if you go over to SS and say that exact same thing.

4mcruenomore
So, they seem to be about the same as Montana's chances. I wouldn't argue real long about either of them having much chance of extending their season.

I won't tell AG1 that, he's too crazy!

NorthernBison
There are millions of them. Heck, teh banner even went to the wrong skool. It will happen again sooner or later.

I probably shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss the chances. I see they play San Diego State on our bye week. Will that hurt us if they get trashed? Maybe.

We play South Dakota State on UND's bye week. Will voters confuse our thrashing of the Jackrabbits as a dismantling of San Diego State and give the credit to UND? Maybe.

NorthernBison
06-21-2012, 07:39 PM
I won't tell AG1 that, he's too crazy!

So I've heard.

thebigund
06-21-2012, 07:44 PM
Almost got me to give you positive rep, almost....I will if you go over to SS and say that exact same thing.
It's a temping offer but one bump won't even put a dent in this stellar rep

CaBisonFan
06-21-2012, 09:18 PM
With what happened last year in the polls with both UND and NDSU being ranked how much higher will UND get ranked thanks to voters mixing them up with NDSU?
1-2 spots?
3-4 spots?
5-6 spots?

As a long-time Bison fan...I can say that I'm very accustomed to seeing this. I also get very tired of the UND attitude about it.

Your post is not a problem...but the general UND attitude is.

It would be like if we started hockey...and expected to catch up to UND in stature within a year or two...and expected to get equal attention.

Tatanka
06-21-2012, 09:40 PM
I probably shouldn't have been so quick to dismiss the chances. I see they play San Diego State on our bye week. Will that hurt us if they get trashed? Maybe.

We play South Dakota State on UND's bye week. Will voters confuse our thrashing of the Jackrabbits as a dismantling of San Diego State and give the credit to UND? Maybe.

Ahhh, so we both play SDSU? Excellent. That will provide the basis for the comparative score engine that fuels their self-worth.

NorthernBison
06-21-2012, 09:57 PM
Ahhh, so we both play SDSU? Excellent. That will provide the basis for the comparative score engine that fuels their self-worth.

Odd that the off weeks both include SDSU. I was so unnerved that I took the afternoon off. Scary stuff.

KilldeerBison
06-22-2012, 12:44 AM
The honeymoon is over, no more excuses, It'll be fun to watch them have to stand/fall on their own. The moral victories won't mean squat, now they're running with the big dogs, bring on the SD School of Mines! I predict next we'll be hearing them bitching about their travel schedule.

56BISON73
06-22-2012, 01:01 AM
Good luck trying to convince any UND Fan of that. They will continue to be delusional as always. The trick is whether you let that delusion and stupidity bother you. I'm beginning to find this all very comical, especially with the whole nickname fiasco.

My mantra with the school up North has become, "Let them think what they want, I just don't care anymore."

Its great entertainment. I have actually left their website thinking---do they REALLY have a law school and a med school up there??????

td577
06-22-2012, 02:18 AM
I am pretty sure the playoff committee knows which school is which. If confusion makes the difference between a couple of spots in the poll it will be the difference between 54th or 56th for one team and 1st or 3rd for the other. As long as the right decisions are made when it comes to the playoffs, I really don't care who confuses the schools.

CaBisonFan
06-22-2012, 02:44 AM
I am pretty sure the playoff committee knows which school is which. If confusion makes the difference between a couple of spots in the poll it will be the difference between 54th or 56th for one team and 1st or 3rd for the other. As long as the right decisions are made when it comes to the playoffs, I really don't care who confuses the schools.

Couldn't agree more...the UND crowd just likes to get in on the attention that we've earned. It's really not an issue.

NDSU1980
06-22-2012, 03:57 AM
So, how did he (und asshat) suddenly get positive rep again? He had been running pretty deep in the red. Makes me very, very suspicious.

4mcruenomore
06-22-2012, 04:09 AM
So, how did he (und asshat) suddenly get positive rep again? He had been running pretty deep in the red. Makes me very, very suspicious.

Wasn't me, they piss me off. I see over on SS that Darrell says by week 5 we will be 2-2 and them 4-0 and ranked higher than us. I need to not think about UND, makes my blood boil.

thebigund
06-22-2012, 05:34 AM
Good question. Though I am a voice of reason on this site, that could have something to do with it

BisonNation11
06-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Good question. Though I am a voice of reason on this site, that could have something to do with it

Yeah, you definitely give us a reason to voice our hatred towards that outhouse to north.

bisonmike2
06-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Well they've already been deemed last year's national champion so if 5-6 spots even enough?

Bison03
06-22-2012, 03:13 PM

Fixed it for you:
Good question. Though I am a voice of reason on this site, that could have something to do with it.

CaBisonFan
06-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Well they've already been deemed last year's national champion so if 5-6 spots even enough?

The question is...can they repeat? With all of that speed, I'd say so.

Tatanka
06-22-2012, 03:45 PM
The judges would also have accepted "UND riding goat tails with their poles".

tcbison
06-22-2012, 06:23 PM
I see that people on ss.com are proud of their 10 point loss to the Griz last time they played. Count that as another moral victory for UND! If NDSU loses to anyone by 10 I considered that to be a bad loss.

reformedUNDfan
06-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Wasn't me, they piss me off. I see over on SS that Darrell says by week 5 we will be 2-2 and them 4-0 and ranked higher than us. I need to not think about UND, makes my blood boil.

luckily darrell is dumb as a brick.