PDA

View Full Version : Athletic Recruits...an Amazing Story

CaBisonFan
02-04-2007, 07:37 AM
It appears that the Bison have really done something special with their scholarships and over-all recruiting efforts. With the recent verbal of Blake Sczepanski and other 'athletic' recruits...it certainly seems like the Bison will have an even more athletic 'look' about them within the next 2 or 3 years.

I think that when the coaching staff watched the Appalachian State-UMass championship game, they saw athleticism and quickness for ASU that would be really tough to deal with in a playoff run. It doesn't appear that ASU is going away anytime soon. Any serious contender for the title will have to have great athletes and quickness to 'counter' that kind of team. UMass and the other playoff teams weren't really in the same league athletically with Appalachian. It's still my opinion that the 2006 Bison team would have had a really good shot at the title...certainly better than UMass.

The recruiting attitude had to be "we need to find great athletes and get them here...and we'll worry about their position later." Rather than recruiting strictly for needs at specific positions, it looks like the priority became athleticism and quickness.

For sure...running back was a huge priority...and we're going to be 'loaded' there.

A very good friend of mine teaches in Stephen-Argyle, and his sons played ball there. Blake Sczepanski is the real deal...and a steal. He is a true diamond in the rough of 9-man football. He has star potential.

When we're eligible for the playoffs...we'll be ready and loaded. National Championship by 2010...write it down. We'll be as good as most DI programs by then. The only exceptions will be the 8 or 10 elite programs around the country in DI-A. No other program will have anything on the Bison.

And finally...the U of M will be using their crying towels after the Bison visit next fall. It won't even be close. That's why Taylor is having a hell of a time getting a schedule put together. No one wants to play us. We've gotten too good...too quickly...but most schools would give anything to have that problem.

The proof is in the recruiting. The sky is the limit.

sambini
02-04-2007, 01:29 PM
The WAC ATTACK ...

TheDoctor
02-04-2007, 02:26 PM
The WAC ATTACK ...

+++++++++++++++++++++ ;)

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 03:41 PM
If things fall right, we may be getting the national champs in the Fargodome in 07! Then we'll really have a nice go at it.

Of course I have nothing to back this up, completely pulling it out of my ass so don't go there.

SirHinn
02-04-2007, 04:00 PM
It appears that the Bison have really done something special with their scholarships and over-all recruiting efforts. *With the recent verbal of Blake Sczepanski and other 'athletic' recruits...it certainly seems like the Bison will have an even more athletic 'look' about them within the next 2 or 3 years. *

I think that when the coaching staff watched the Appalachian State-UMass championship game, they saw athleticism and quickness for ASU that would be really tough to deal with in a playoff run. *It doesn't appear that ASU is going away anytime soon. *Any serious contender for the title will have to have great athletes and quickness to 'counter' that kind of team. *UMass and the other playoff teams weren't really in the same league athletically with Appalachian. *It's still my opinion that the 2006 Bison team would have had a really good shot at the title...certainly better than UMass.

The recruiting attitude had to be "we need to find great athletes and get them here...and we'll worry about their position later." *Rather than recruiting strictly for needs at specific positions, it looks like the priority became athleticism and quickness. *

For sure...running back was a huge priority...and we're going to be 'loaded' there. *

A very good friend of mine teaches in Stephen-Argyle, and his sons played ball there. *Blake Sczepanski is the real deal...and a steal. *He is a true diamond in the rough of 9-man football. *He has star potential.

When we're eligible for the playoffs...we'll be ready and loaded. *National Championship by 2010...write it down. *We'll be as good as most DI programs by then. *The only exceptions will be the 8 or 10 elite programs around the country in DI-A. *No other program will have anything on the Bison. *

And finally...the U of M will be using their crying towels after the Bison visit next fall. *It won't even be close. *That's why Taylor is having a hell of a time getting a schedule put together. *No one wants to play us. *We've gotten too good...too quickly...but most schools would give anything to have that problem. *

The proof is in the recruiting. *The sky is the limit. *

If you really think the Bison are going to blowout the Gophers, your completely crazy. This won't be the same Gopher team from last year. Minnesota has a guy who can go out and RECRUIT the big names. Perhaps you haven't been following what Brewster has been doing recently but he's not just laying down because the guy he replaced couldn't recruit worth a lick. Also talking about National championship already? Perhaps the Bison should worry about Bohl sticking around till 2010 because if they do as well as you think, he'll be gone by the end of 2008.

BisonNeil
02-04-2007, 04:07 PM
I certainly like the optimism surrounding this class. Everyone seems to think there is all kinds of talent and athleticism. But, are they all considered diamonds in the rough?

With the exception of our first verbal commitment, who is projected as a DE, few if any of our recruits thus far are listed by such high school recruiting combines such as Rivals or EdgyTim. And the recruit I am talking about was ranked as a TE, not DE. I know that likely doesn't mean anything, but lots of other DIAA schools are getting 2 star and 3 star athletes according to Rivals. Is the pursuit of a national championship accomplished by signing these kinds of athletes or diamonds in the rough? I don't know, the answer, but I think the question has to be asked.

Before you all go off on me, I want to make it clear that I am not questioning the quality of this class, because I have no way of knowing, I am only wondering how this coaching staff does its evaluations. If we believe they are so good, why are most of them not listed on any high school recruiting forum? Why are many of these athletes not getting looks by other DIAA schools? The last verbal, commitment for example, is a kid from IL . He was a LB in high school, projected as a DE, and had only DII offers. BisonInsider says he helped his team to a 2-7 record (admittedly not very impressive stat to list) and that he had no other offers from DIAA. So, it begs the question, what do our coaches see that others do not? If this team is so athletic, are they all diamonds in the rough?

SDbison
02-04-2007, 04:11 PM
What do you want SirHinn? Should the Bison players throw a game now and then so that they won't look as good and Bohl sticks around? As for the Gophers, a few different coaches, one recruiting class and six months won't turnaround the mess the Gophers have been in for some time. Will the Gophers play better against the Bison than they did last year. Most likely. At the same time the Bison will be even more improved. I don't expect the Bison to blow out the Gophers, but they will give them another good game and hopefuly this time the Bison will prevail.

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 04:13 PM
I think the next guy in line at QB is Mortensen, who comes from Hutchinson MN, a school that runs the ball all day.

So unless they get some superman JUCO QB to come in over the spring/summer who can sit back in the shotgun all day and sling darts, I think they're going to have a hard time in this offense for at least the 1st year.

That opens the door for us at least for next season. We've done well against the Southern teams who chuck and duck it all day long (NW St, SFA, MVSU).

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 04:17 PM
what do our coaches see that others do not?

Recruiting services go for guys who have big numbers and come from big programs.

I'm sure our coaches look at game film and if they see something they like (hustle, toughness, whatever) then they offer them, regardless of the numbers.

I don't care if a kid has -20 yards of rushing on the season. Maybe he played on a bad team. But that doesn't make him a bad player with no potential.

SDbison
02-04-2007, 04:20 PM
I certainly like the optimism surrounding this class. Everyone seems to think there is all kinds of talent and athleticism. *But, are they all considered diamonds in the rough?

With the exception of our first verbal commitment, who is projected as a DE, few if any of our recruits thus far are listed by such high school recruiting combines such as Rivals or EdgyTim. And the recruit I am talking about was ranked as a TE, not DE. I know that likely doesn't mean anything, but lots of other DIAA schools are getting 2 star and 3 star athletes according to Rivals. *Is the pursuit of a national championship accomplished by signing these kinds of athletes or diamonds in the rough? I don't know, the answer, but I think the question has to be asked.

Before you all go off on me, I want to make it clear that I am not questioning the quality of this class, because I have no way of knowing, I am only wondering how this coaching staff does its evaluations. If we believe they are so good, why are most of them not listed on any high school recruiting forum? Why are many of these athletes not getting looks by other DIAA schools? The last verbal, commitment for example, is a kid from IL . He was a LB in high school, projected as a DE, and had only DII offers. BisonInsider says he helped his team to a 2-7 record (admittedly not very impressive stat to list) and that he had no other offers from DIAA. So, it begs the question, what do our coaches see that others do not? If this team is so athletic, are they all diamonds in the rough?
Good points BisonNeil. *It does seem like this Bison class is heavy on the "diamond in the rough" type recruits. *It's OK to have several, but why so very few top recruited DI-AA athletes? *Gee, Bison history, recent DI-AA success, top notch facilities and great coaches should bring a bunch of lower DI-A type recruits. *Also, I still question the lack of a legitamate QB recruit for the past two years. *After Walker is gone we are looking at a couple guys that have little game experience and they don't exactly have fans anticipating their starting days. *I guess I just don't wear my green and gold glasses all the time like some posters.

Bison_Dan
02-04-2007, 04:24 PM
I certainly like the optimism surrounding this class. Everyone seems to think there is all kinds of talent and athleticism. *But, are they all considered diamonds in the rough?

With the exception of our first verbal commitment, who is projected as a DE, few if any of our recruits thus far are listed by such high school recruiting combines such as Rivals or EdgyTim. And the recruit I am talking about was ranked as a TE, not DE. I know that likely doesn't mean anything, but lots of other DIAA schools are getting 2 star and 3 star athletes according to Rivals. *Is the pursuit of a national championship accomplished by signing these kinds of athletes or diamonds in the rough? I don't know, the answer, but I think the question has to be asked.

Recruiting combines are speculative at best and not a good indicator of talent except for the 4 & 5 star athletes. I see some big DI schools getting 1 & 2 star or no star players so it's very subjective. Look at this years Bison team, any Rival star athletes? None that I know of. A lot of high school kids don't mature until there're in college. I was 5'11" in high school and my first year in college grew to 6'2".
I think your question has already be answered with this years great season. ;D

lakesbison
02-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Ok, everyone knows my passion for NDSU.

Here's my problem with this recruiting class.

in the past, NDSU would always get kids 6;5" and taller and put weight on them.

Im looking at this class, aside from 2 kids that are 6'5 and 1 6'6"

there are NO MONSTERS (maybe austin richards)

Plus, ZERO BCS transfers?? Thats what montana, appy state, Ga Southern, Youngs makes a KILLING with.

I'm surprised with the departure of Mason at Uminn, we couldnt get a transfer or 2.

I am LUKE WARM at best over our recruits.

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 04:31 PM
There is still the possibility of Ashley from USC. I don't think he'll come here when his options include Penn State. But you never know what some kids think.

I also think part of the reason NDSU is so good is that we go after some of the kids that would've been DI-A if they had been taller or a little faster or whatever.

Frick, Dahl, Humber, Mays, Walker, etc.

These guys could easily played at places like Minnesota, Iowa State, and so on. But those schools went after guys who fit the "DI-A mold".

I don't think there's anything wrong with going after those guys who are maybe just outside the cut off line.

Obviously Minnesota wishes it had gone after some of our guys a little harder!

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Oh yeah, another thing as far as next year's MN QBs go.

I forgot they had John Carlson, who was a shotgun, throw it all day type QB at Hopkins MN.

Mason's crew converted him to LB, for god knows why. But it is possible that the new staff could switch him back.

Guess we'll see.

D
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Oh yeah, another thing as far as next year's MN QBs go.

I forgot they had John Carlson, who was a shotgun, throw it all day type QB at Hopkins MN.

Mason's crew converted him to LB, for god knows why. But it is possible that the new staff could switch him back.

Guess we'll see.

The Gopher's QB next year will be Adam Weber, no question about it.

Walker Lee Ashley is going to the U of M. There's a story in the Pioneer Press today.

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 04:50 PM
Heh, well, I guess Ashley is out then.

I really don't know that much about the Gopher QBs. All I know is that metro area kids usually throw the ball more than the outstate kids.

So obviously that's a good thing for Weber (and Carlson if he gets converted back).

NDSUstudent
02-04-2007, 04:52 PM
First off recruiting rankings mean absolutely nothing, unless....Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Kyle Steffes, Kole Heckendorf are all of sudden bad players because they didn't get any stars, and I could go on and on with NDSU players who weren't mentioned. Also lakes what is with this no height garbage, where are we missing height? As for this class it sounds like it has a ton of potential, and so far I got to say I am pleased with the job Bohl and Co have done.

CaBisonFan
02-04-2007, 05:10 PM
It appears that the Bison have really done something special with their scholarships and over-all recruiting efforts. *With the recent verbal of Blake Sczepanski and other 'athletic' recruits...it certainly seems like the Bison will have an even more athletic 'look' about them within the next 2 or 3 years. *

I think that when the coaching staff watched the Appalachian State-UMass championship game, they saw athleticism and quickness for ASU that would be really tough to deal with in a playoff run. *It doesn't appear that ASU is going away anytime soon. *Any serious contender for the title will have to have great athletes and quickness to 'counter' that kind of team. *UMass and the other playoff teams weren't really in the same league athletically with Appalachian. *It's still my opinion that the 2006 Bison team would have had a really good shot at the title...certainly better than UMass.

The recruiting attitude had to be "we need to find great athletes and get them here...and we'll worry about their position later." *Rather than recruiting strictly for needs at specific positions, it looks like the priority became athleticism and quickness. *

For sure...running back was a huge priority...and we're going to be 'loaded' there. *

A very good friend of mine teaches in Stephen-Argyle, and his sons played ball there. *Blake Sczepanski is the real deal...and a steal. *He is a true diamond in the rough of 9-man football. *He has star potential.

When we're eligible for the playoffs...we'll be ready and loaded. *National Championship by 2010...write it down. *We'll be as good as most DI programs by then. *The only exceptions will be the 8 or 10 elite programs around the country in DI-A. *No other program will have anything on the Bison. *

And finally...the U of M will be using their crying towels after the Bison visit next fall. *It won't even be close. *That's why Taylor is having a hell of a time getting a schedule put together. *No one wants to play us. *We've gotten too good...too quickly...but most schools would give anything to have that problem. *

If you really think the Bison are going to blowout the Gophers, your completely crazy. *This won't be the same Gopher team from last year. *Minnesota has a guy who can go out and RECRUIT the big names. *Perhaps you haven't been following what Brewster has been doing recently but he's not just laying down because the guy he replaced couldn't recruit worth a lick. *Also talking about National championship already? *Perhaps the Bison should worry about Bohl sticking around till 2010 because if they do as well as you think, he'll be gone by the end of 2008. *

Actually, it won't be a major blowout now that I think about it. It will be 2 or 3 touchdowns, as the stats showed in the 2006 game. I certainly hope that Brewster is a great recruiter and coach. Minnesota has been hungry for a non-choking program since Warmath left. I'm a bit of a Gopher fan myself and have cheered for them in many, many games in the Big Ten over the years. I taught in Minnesota for 10 years and have some maroon and gold in me. I saw nothing on the field or coming off the bench that the Gophers can hang their hat on for this coming fall. Unless their redshirt class is outstanding, the Bison have better personnel with more experience coming into the next game. The Gophers would be improved at quarterback if Daffy Duck was starting...so that will be a plus for the Gophers.

But it will be a surprise if the Bison don't win in the baggy.

And as for national championships...the Bison would have challenged in 2006...so talking about a title within the next 3 or 4 years isn't out of line. Heck, the Bison program took a harder hit to get into DI-AA than the Gophers did for their Haskins scandal.

You seem to be the one that is a little bit overly optimistic...about the Gophers...that is. Maybe if Sid Hartman would quit trying to be the god of sports in the cities the Gophers could escape some of the BS that he dishes out daily. He hurts the Gophers with his simplistic...poorly written articles that inflate recruits and destroy coaches...with the exception of Bobby Knight...his good friend...that is. The Twin Cities area is poison for the Gophers...and Hartman is one of the elements of the poison.

No...optimism isn't a problem concerning the Bison. The game last fall was no fluke. Hell...we beat a team on the road that took Michigan to the wire in their own stadium. Yeah...it hurt to lose the game at the dome because the Bison dominated the game so thoroughly. It was no fluke. The fluke was that the Gophers won. A 2 or 3 touchdown win for the Bison this coming fall will be acceptable...even though a thorough lashing would really be fun.

The Gophers will have another resurrection for a while. The stadium will help for the future...but for now...they're a mediocre DI-A team in an over-rated conference.

You can trust that I am a Gophers fan...but I also watched the game last fall. It's one of those 'should have won' games. You should be grateful that the Bison helped to push Mason out the door. And finally...we all found out that the caliber of football at SU has always been on a par...or better...than Minnesota for about 4 decades.

Scooter
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
hmmm......interesting takes on the U of M game last year. I don't think that the U of M will take us as lightly as they did last year. This was a typical Mason team....smack them in the mouth early and they quit. With Mason gone maybe this attitude will be gone.

SDbison
02-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Always fun to pull out the video and watch the Bison dominance of the Goofs last fall. *Only problem is the ending. *I have watched the game at least a half dozen times, might have to do it again today before before the Super Bowl. *Can't wait until the next game. *It will be the highlight of the season. *CaBisonFan will you make it to the game?
NOTE: I love all the respect the FSN announcer gives NDSU during this game although he was a Bison too......Howard Bison that is.

SDbison
02-04-2007, 05:24 PM
hmmm......interesting takes on the U of M game last year. *I don't think that the U of M will take us as lightly as they did last year. *This was a typical Mason team....smack them in the mouth early and they quit. *With Mason gone maybe this attitude will be gone.
It will take more than 8 months to correct the losing attitude at the U of M.

Buff01
02-04-2007, 05:26 PM
CaBison Fan

Yeah Right! *We apperciate your homer-ness and your optimism is to be proud of - it's just your reality that needs to be checked! *We proved we could play with the gophers last year - butttttt - it was one year and one game. *We will be close again in 2007 but no matter what you think we aren't going to be competing with the big ten (or Minnesota) year in and year out. *Minnesota took us lightly last year and this game was our superbowl - therefore the close game. *Minnesota will be ready for us next time.

SDbison
02-04-2007, 05:35 PM
CalBison Fan

Yeah Right! *We apperciate your homer-ness and your optimism is to be proud of - it's just your reality that needs to be checked! *We proved we could play with the gophers last year - butttttt - it was one year and one game. *We will be close again in 2007 but no matter what you think we aren't going to be competing with the big ten (or Minnesota) year in and year out. *Minnesota took us lightly last year and this game was our superbowl - therefore the close game. *Minnesota will be ready for us next time.

Buff, you been talking with Hoopster too much lately? *Last I checked this is a Bison message board. *Nothing wrong with a little homerism. *As for the Goofs they are nothing special, and they have no tradition at football. *I think if the Bison would play them every year NDSU would win 3 out of 10. *So, last year NDSU only looked good because the goofs overlooked us? *That is BS. *Why don't you watch the video and the post game player and coach interviews. *I have a copy of the Pioneer Press and Tribune where the Bison were given a lot of credit for blowing the Gophers off the line, the poise of our Walker, etc. *That game wasn't just a Super Bowl to the Bison. *NDSU showed its program was on par with a so-so Big Ten team.

HerdBot
02-04-2007, 06:18 PM

Im looking at this class, aside from *2 kids that are 6'5 and 1 6'6"

Plus, *ZERO BCS transfers?? * Thats what montana, appy state, Ga Southern, Youngs makes a KILLING with.

I'm surprised with the departure of Mason at Uminn, we couldnt get a transfer or 2.

I think we've got a solid class so far. While there are no monsters, we've got some pretty big athletes. Everyone below is 6'4'' or taller. Our training facilities will make them stronger, quicker, and faster.

OL Austin Richard - (6'4 320-lbs. Fargo, ND)
OL Jordan Vadnais - (6'4 308-lbs. Fargo, ND) / Walk-On
OL/DL Paul Cornick - (6'6 280-lbs. Orono, MN)
DT George Danilkowicz - (6'4 265-lbs. Vernon Hills, IL)
DE Coulter Boyer - (6'5 240-lbs. Hurley, SD)
DE/OLB Garrett Johnson - (6'5 240-lbs. Chaska, MN)
LB Eddie Beson - (6'4 230-lbs. Menasha, WI)

We are getting bigger. We've got a big freshman class that have yet to contribute. Notice how the smallest on the list is 6'3''

87 Thor Brown TE 6' 4 248 RFr. Fall Creek, WI
76 Keith Buckman OG 6' 5 305 RFr. Belfield, ND
75 Gerry Ebel OT 6' 7 315 RFr. Yankton, SD
99 Mike Fairbairn NG 6' 3 298 RFr. LaGrange, IL
65 Ryan Foster OG 6' 3 291 RFr. Eleva, WI
37 Tyler Henry LB 6' 3 220 RFr. Bloomington, MN
86 Jared Hines TE 6' 5 230 RFr. Ellsworth, WI
53 Sam Laudner OT 6' 5 270 RFr. Medina, MN
19 Jordan Schultenover WR 6' 3 203 RFr. Minnetonka, MN
72 Ryan Schuttloffel NG 6' 5 296 RFr. Sioux Falls, SD
48 Matt Anderson LB 6' 3 210 Fr. Cavalier, ND
52 Michael Arndt OT 6' 6 295 Fr. LaMoure, ND
93 David Burns DE 6' 3 235 Fr. Fargo, ND
70 Matt Gratzek DT 6' 3 260 Fr. Argyle, MN
62 Granger Hamland OG 6' 4 290 Fr. Medford, WI
95 Matt Phillips DT 6' 4 250 Fr. DePere, WI
89 Pat Shannon TE 6' 4 230 Fr. St. Louis Park, MN
00 Chris Wellenstein OT 6' 7 285 Fr. Centerville, SD

Then you've got the So class. Notice how there are not many peopole over 6' 3''?

63 Blake Anderson OT 6' 4 312 So. Salinas, CA
54 Joe Lardinois DE 6' 4 252 So. New Franken, WI
64 James Septak C 6' 3 297 So. Omaha, NE
80 Jeremiah Wurzbacher TE 6' 5 256 So. Fargo, ND

Each year, the players are getting bigger but we can't get caught up in size vs football players.

I'm a little bummbed out we haven't got any good BCS transfers. Where are we going to get them from? Minnesota? They don't come along very often. We got Staus from a Big Ten school but ended up getting benched.

I'm more bummed out we didn't get a quality DE from a Juco. Even UND pulled out a good DE from Hibbing, that suspended it's football program.

I think we're setting our expectations too high too fast. *While it's not a big ten like recruiting class, it is among our best recruiting class we've had...and we're not done yet.

I really want to snag Veldman.

But... we still have time to get a transfer

Scooter
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
hmmm......interesting takes on the U of M game last year. *I don't think that the U of M will take us as lightly as they did last year. *This was a typical Mason team....smack them in the mouth early and they quit. *With Mason gone maybe this attitude will be gone.
It will take more than 8 months to correct the losing attitude at the U of M.
I hope you are right.

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
Not that the situations are exactly comparable but...

how long did it take to correct the losing attitude of NDSU 2002?

:-X :-X :-X

TheDoctor
02-04-2007, 06:39 PM
CalBison Fan

Buff, you been talking with Hoopster too much lately? *Last I checked this is a Bison message board. *Nothing wrong with a little homerism. *As for the Goofs they are nothing special, and they have no tradition at football. *I think if the Bison would play them every year NDSU would win 3 out of 10. *So, last year NDSU only looked good because the goofs overlooked us? *That is BS. *Why don't you watch the video and the post game player and coach interviews. *I have a copy of the Pioneer Press and Tribune where the Bison were given a lot of credit for blowing the Gophers off the line, the poise of our Walker, etc. *That game wasn't just a Super Bowl to the Bison. *NDSU showed its program was on par with a so-so Big Ten team.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

SDbison
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM

You said it, not me......your statement has no point because it is not comparable. 2002 was one exception in 40 years. The Bison have had a winning tradition over the past 40 years. The Gophers just the opposite.
Example: It is much easier to right a ship that has only taken on a little water, but much more effort is required for one that has sunk to the bottom and sat there for many years.

99Bison
02-04-2007, 06:53 PM

Im looking at this class, aside from *2 kids that are 6'5 and 1 6'6"

Plus, *ZERO BCS transfers?? * Thats what montana, appy state, Ga Southern, Youngs makes a KILLING with.

I think we've got a solid class so far. While there are no monsters, we've got some pretty big athletes. Everyone below is 6'4'' or taller. Our training facilities will make them stronger, quicker, and faster.

OL Austin Richard - (6'4 320-lbs. Fargo, ND)
OL Jordan Vadnais - (6'4 308-lbs. Fargo, ND) / Walk-On
OL/DL Paul Cornick - (6'6 280-lbs. Orono, MN)
DT George Danilkowicz - (6'4 265-lbs. Vernon Hills, IL)
DE Coulter Boyer - (6'5 240-lbs. Hurley, SD)
DE/OLB Garrett Johnson - (6'5 240-lbs. Chaska, MN)
LB Eddie Beson - (6'4 230-lbs. Menasha, WI)

We are getting bigger. We've got a big freshman class that have yet to contribute. Notice how the smallest on the list is 6'3''

87 Thor Brown TE 6' 4 248 RFr. Fall Creek, WI
76 Keith Buckman OG 6' 5 305 RFr. Belfield, ND
75 Gerry Ebel OT 6' 7 315 RFr. Yankton, SD
99 Mike Fairbairn NG 6' 3 298 RFr. LaGrange, IL
65 Ryan Foster OG 6' 3 291 RFr. Eleva, WI
37 Tyler Henry LB 6' 3 220 RFr. Bloomington, MN
86 Jared Hines TE 6' 5 230 RFr. Ellsworth, WI
53 Sam Laudner OT 6' 5 270 RFr. Medina, MN
19 Jordan Schultenover WR 6' 3 203 RFr. Minnetonka, MN
72 Ryan Schuttloffel NG 6' 5 296 RFr. Sioux Falls, SD
48 Matt Anderson LB 6' 3 210 Fr. Cavalier, ND
52 Michael Arndt OT 6' 6 295 Fr. LaMoure, ND
93 David Burns DE 6' 3 235 Fr. Fargo, ND
70 Matt Gratzek DT 6' 3 260 Fr. Argyle, MN
62 Granger Hamland OG 6' 4 290 Fr. Medford, WI
95 Matt Phillips DT 6' 4 250 Fr. DePere, WI
89 Pat Shannon TE 6' 4 230 Fr. St. Louis Park, MN
00 Chris Wellenstein OT 6' 7 285 Fr. Centerville, SD

Then you've got the So class. Notice how there are not many peopole over 6' 3''?

63 Blake Anderson OT 6' 4 312 So. Salinas, CA
54 Joe Lardinois DE 6' 4 252 So. New Franken, WI
64 James Septak C 6' 3 297 So. Omaha, NE
80 Jeremiah Wurzbacher TE 6' 5 256 So. Fargo, ND

Each year, the players are getting bigger but we can't get caught up in size vs football players.

I'm a little bummbed out we haven't got any good BCS transfers. Where are we going to get them from? Minnesota? They don't come along very often. We got Staus from a Big Ten school but ended up getting benched.

I'm more bummed out we didn't get a quality DE from a Juco. Even UND pulled out a good DE from Hibbing, that suspended it's football program.

I think we're setting our expectations too high too fast. *While it's not a big ten like recruiting class, it is among our best recruiting class we've had...and we're not done yet.

I really want to snag Veldman.

But... we still have time to get a transfer

Agreed, lakes off base on this size comment.

CaBisonFan
02-04-2007, 06:54 PM

They're not at all comparable. *You're right.

It took a shorter time because of the dominance of the program since the early 60s. *Recruiting athletes to play football at NDSU has an advantage...that being 'tradition.' *I'll give Bohl a ton of credit...but the Minnesota situation has no quick fix. *Blue-chip athletes from Minnesota typically look elsewhere. *It's been that way since Warmath left...which is a long time ago. *Lou Holtz brought some excitement, but it was just a short stopover for him. *The tradition at SU never left. *It was taking a nap. *Minnesota has been in a coma for almost 5 decades. *I'm not saying that it's hopeless in Gopherland, but the competition with Wisconsin, Iowa, Nebraska, Notre Dame, and the Florida schools for regional blue-chippers has made coaching in Minnesota VERY frustrating. *

2002 was one year. *It happens to every program...and it's as reliable as gravity.

We're obviously discussing a different recruiting pool for the two schools. *Minnesota has to face 4 or 5 teams every fall that have strong recruiting advantages. *They look for blue-chippers all over the country. *NDSU has to have a different attitude. *Humber, Mays, and Dahl...among others...could have been strong starters at Minnesota. *For reasons that I don't understand, these guys are off the Minnesota radar. *That's just fine with me though.*

2006gwfcchamps
02-04-2007, 07:05 PM
Fair enough.

Minnesota used to be the #1 program in nation. So it's not like they've never had tradition.

I wonder how long it's been since the Goofs cracked the final AP top 25?

sambini
02-04-2007, 07:40 PM
2006 when were the Gophers number one in the nation? 1960s last Rose Bowl apperarance. It will be fun to see how these recruits turn out in the next few years. The staff should be commended on a great job of getting these young men to NDSU. Thanks Coach Bohl and staff.

CaBisonFan
02-05-2007, 12:27 AM
CaBison Fan

I predicted 10-1 last fall and some people thought I needed to check my reality...and worse. *Oh well...guess I'm a homer-ness. *

Are you homerphobic? * *;)*

I know that we'll be playing with DI-A teams now. *Sounds good to me. *

The game at Minnesota was probably one of the Bison's worst games in terms of execution last fall. The Bison will be more ready.

SirHinn
02-05-2007, 03:41 AM
CaBison Fan

I predicted 10-1 last fall and some people thought I needed to check my reality...and worse. *Oh well...guess I'm a homer-ness. *

Are you homerphobic? * *;)*

The game at Minnesota was probably one of the Bison's worst games in terms of execution last fall. *The Bison will be more ready. *

The Gophers won't be ready? It was also quite possibly one of the worst games they played all year. The game will be circled on their calender and the Bison certainly won't be taken lightly next year. I sure would enjoy it if the Bison came in and walked all over the Gophers, I just don't think that will be the case.

ndsubison
02-05-2007, 08:57 PM

While I agree that it is indeed a good time to be feeling good about the Bison, you have some bold statements in there. Too good too soon? Let's just get playoff eligible, hang onto our coach for (hopefully) the next couple of years and host some playoff games before we stake the claim that "nobody dares play us". People are not afraid to play NDSU. I don't believe that. People aren't afraid to play Montana, Appy, Ga So or Delaware so I doubt they're afraid to play 'SU. People don't want to come to the FFD to get beat when they can go elsewhere to get beat for a whole lotta more $$$$$$. That doesn't necessarily make them "afraid" to play the Bison. I think the BSC teams suffer more from an elitist attitude re: GWFC/transitional teams than they do a fear of playing said teams. The one way to clear this up is ultimately to gain membership into the Gateway. That is what I'm hoping for.

GO BISON!!!
2007 is sure gonna be fun

Bryan
02-06-2007, 02:11 AM
<I wonder how long it's been since the Goofs cracked the final AP top 25?>

1999 18th in Final AP Poll/ 18th in Coaches Poll

2003 20th in Final AP Poll/ 17th in Coaches Poll

Tradition is a term that everybody has a different definition of. MN's rich, deep college football tradition can not be debated but all Gopher will also be up front and admit that it was 30 years of bad football from 68 - 98 that leaves an ugly mark on the history sheet and there is no running from that.

However things like this help in keeping thae tradition alive, it was announced today at the site of Super Bowl XLI in Miami, Fla. that former Golden Gophers tight end Charlie Sanders – who played for the Detroit Lions from 1968-77 – will become just the seventh tight end in NFL history to be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He will become the sixth Golden Gopher to enter the Pro Football of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Sanders, 60, will join Bronko Nagurski (1963), Leo Nomellini (1969), Bobby Bell (1983), Bud Grant (1994) and Carl Eller (2004) as Gopher alums in Canton. With six members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the University of Minnesota is tied for the fourth most of any school behind USC (11), Notre Dame (10) and Michigan (7).

It also didn't hurt that former Gopher QB Tony Dungy just won the Super Bowl with two MN players who saw plenty of time on the field in the game.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:06 AM
<I wonder how long it's been since the Goofs cracked the final AP top 25?>

1999 *18th in Final AP Poll/ 18th in Coaches Poll

2003 *20th in Final AP Poll/ 17th in Coaches Poll

Tradition is a term that everybody has a different definition of. *MN's rich, deep college football tradition can not be debated but all Gopher will also be up front and admit that it was 30 years of bad football from 68 - 98 that leaves an ugly mark on the history sheet and there is no running from that.

However things like this help in keeping thae tradition alive, it was announced today at the site of Super Bowl XLI in Miami, Fla. that former Golden Gophers tight end Charlie Sanders – who played for the Detroit Lions from 1968-77 – will become just the seventh tight end in NFL history to be enshrined into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. He will become the sixth Golden Gopher to enter the Pro Football of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Sanders, 60, will join Bronko Nagurski (1963), Leo Nomellini (1969), Bobby Bell (1983), Bud Grant (1994) and Carl Eller (2004) as Gopher alums in Canton. With six members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, the University of Minnesota is tied for the fourth most of any school behind USC (11), Notre Dame (10) and Michigan (7).

It also didn't hurt that former Gopher QB Tony Dungy just won the Super Bowl with two MN players who saw plenty of time on the field in the game. *

Hmmmmm........I thought I just logged onto Bisonville not Gopherhole.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:08 AM
Is it OK to tell a Gopher fan to go back to his hole?

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:12 AM
I could have sworn this topic was about the great Bison football recruits so far this year? ::)

Bryan
02-06-2007, 03:21 AM
Did you even read the thread, it stopped being about Bison recruits on page 1

lakesbison
02-06-2007, 03:23 AM
its only gonna get worse with gophs fans..

you goto gopherbutthole.com and 2-3 months ago, they were crying and saying how horrible they are, firing their coach, b.tching about minnesota kids going elsewhere.

NOW, the last 2-3 weeks, they have been drinking the koolaid that a Tight End coach has mixed up for them.

its funny how arrogant they have become with the most underacheiving college team in the last 10 years!!!

SDbison
02-06-2007, 03:28 AM
OK, gloves are off. Minnesota Gophers, great pretenders in the Big Ten. So in men's sports what is the last time they were ranked in the top ten of any DI sports (sorry folks golf doesn't count). U of M, biggest, ugliest, urban campus anywhere. Do they offer a Masters in crime?

Buff01
02-06-2007, 03:59 AM
"I predicted 10-1 last fall and some people thought I needed to check my reality...and worse. *Oh well...guess I'm a homer-ness. *

Are you homerphobic?

The game at Minnesota was probably one of the Bison's worst games in terms of execution last fall. *The Bison will be more ready. "

Seriously - homerphobic!?! - *that was funny. *I'm guessing you also picked the Bison to be 10 - 1 every year for the past 10 years!

I think what we have around here is a serious case of GOPHER ENVY!!

SDbison
02-06-2007, 04:13 AM
"I predicted 10-1 last fall and some people thought I needed to check my reality...and worse. *Oh well...guess I'm a homer-ness. *

Are you homerphobic?

The game at Minnesota was probably one of the Bison's worst games in terms of execution last fall. *The Bison will be more ready. "

Seriously - homerphobic!?! - *that was funny. *I'm guessing you also picked the Bison to be 10 - 1 every year for the past 10 years!

Envious of what? A whimpy little gopher? Minnesota, home of the lowly rodents.
All you Gopher fans are a little goofy from living near the bottom of the Big Ten for too long.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 04:16 AM
Fair enough.

Minnesota used to be the #1 program in nation. So it's not like they've never had tradition.

I wonder how long it's been since the Goofs cracked the final AP top 25?
Yeah the last time the Goofs were number one in football was two generations ago. Kind of hard to build tradition on that.

CaBisonFan
02-06-2007, 05:28 AM

Are you homerphobic?

Actually...I picked the Bison to be 10-1 last fall. *I joined this board last fall and can't recall ever predicting a season before. *There's nothing to be envious of in Gopherland right now. *Pity might be more appropriate...but I'm not referring just to the football program. *I was a huge fan of the basketball team for years. *The Haskins scandal ripped a new one for the program. *Hopefully it can be fixed in the near future. *You're not talking to an anti-Gopher person. *As I wrote earlier, I taught in west central Minnesota for about 10 years and had some serious maroon and gold in me. *I grew up a Bison fan though...and I couldn't help but cheer for the Bison in the game last fall. *Minnesota was completely, and utterly outplayed. *It wasn't all mental. *They were physically handled. *Of course I'm a 'homer' on this board. *This is the Bisonville.com message board. *If I wanted to have a major discussion like this I would join the Gopher board. *I certainly wouldn't get into smack with Gopher fans there. *I'll make a 'homer' prediction for the Bison here.

I've been around long enough to have attended Musselman games...to remember the excitement of that team...saw the 1976 Minnesota/Indiana game when the Gophers were up by 8 at halftime. Ray Williams owned the first half. It was an NBA roster. Abernathy hit 4 straight jumpers from the top of the key to tie the game...game over. Knight did his magic with Scott May, Wilkerson, Kent Benson. I remember the fans riding Quinn Buckner. The place was electric.

What I see developing in Fargo is the re-emergence of a program. *The winning tradition 'is' huge to Bison fans. *

Again...you don't know about my level of support for Minnesota athletics. *Little do you know.

Tough to decide where you're coming from. *I'm a serious Bison fan that has some roots in Gopherland also. *Where are you? *Are you a Bison fan?

I'm predicting a strong Bison win next fall and I'll stand by it. I don't think that the Gophers were surprised or anything like that. They were just a very mediocre Big Ten team in a relatively weak Big Ten year. But my comments aren't really about putting down the Gophers. Something special has happened to Bison football. To this Bison fan, it was REALLY fun to see that little old North Dakota (the state) could compete with (and beat up on) the big neighbor to the east. There have been many Bison teams that could have done the same...or better if they had played Minnesota. The 80s teams with Bentrim would have done some serious damage in the baggy. There's always been an aire of superiority in Minnesota concerning North Dakota. NDSU football is like hockey is at UND. They're the flagship programs that can compete with most big-market programs when the talent level is up.

BisonNeil
02-06-2007, 12:56 PM
First off recruiting rankings mean absolutely nothing, unless....Steve Walker, Joe Mays, Kyle Steffes, Kole Heckendorf are all of sudden bad players because they didn't get any stars, and I could go on and on with NDSU players who weren't mentioned. Also lakes what is with this no height garbage, where are we missing height? As for this class it sounds like it has a ton of potential, and so far I got to say I am pleased with the job Bohl and Co have done.

You really don't know what you talking about here. Steve Walker was the second rated QB in his state in 2003. Yes, he had only one star from EdgyTim, but he made the "list". None of the recruits this year, with the exception of Garret Johnson, have made any list that I am aware of.

2006gwfcchamps
02-06-2007, 03:58 PM
in men's sports what is the last time they were ranked in the top ten of any DI sports

I don't know if you're talking about team sports or individual sports, but they've been arguably the best wrestling team in the nation the past ... 5 years? Recent.

Men's hockey, maybe, don't know.

SDbison
02-06-2007, 04:44 PM
in men's sports what is the last time they were ranked in the top ten of any DI sports

I don't know if you're talking about team sports or individual sports, but they've been arguably the best wrestling team in the nation the past ... 5 years? Recent.

Men's hockey, maybe, don't know.

OK, maybe I should have qualified that as the two most popular DI sports in the nation (football and men's basketball).