PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Shrine Game

tony
06-03-2012, 03:10 PM
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120602/PREPZONE/706029899/0

North Dakota State recruit Derek McGinnis of Crete, who threw for 158 yards by completing 11 of 14 passes, gave the South a 24-3 lead with a 31-yard touchdown pass midway through the third quarter to Brandon Reilly of Lincoln Southwest.

344Johnson
06-03-2012, 07:31 PM
Sure seems like we missed out on Mollberg.

Mr. Burgundy
06-03-2012, 08:38 PM
One of the Husker Pay sites I belong to had a "top 5 players in the game" ranked by Recruiting Analyst Nate Clouse who writes for Huskeronline. This is really good news for our offense. ......................

Maybe the most impressive play in my opinion though came from left tackle Samuel Hahn (North Dakota State signee). Hahn displayed solid strength in the run game and very good pass protection for quarterback Derek McGinnis.

Derek McGinnis QB, 6-4, 204, Crete

-North Dakota State signee Derek McGinnis was another bright spot on the South squad on Saturday. He showed the ability to be a pocket passer as well as the ability to extend the play and throw on the run if need be. Whether he was on the move or not McGinnis always seemed to be able to get his feet under him in order to make a nice pass instead of relying solely on his arm strength. He also knows how to use his size and speed in the run game. He ran for a very tough three yard gain on a late fourth down play that helped seal up the victory.

Mr. Burgundy
06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Finding quite a bit of stuff on Sam Hahn that is pretty exciting.

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1370179

Samuel Hahn, OL, 6-6, 260, Tri-County

Easily the tallest kid on the field this morning, Sam Hahn has an excellent frame and looks skinny at 260 pounds. He moves his feet well for a tall lineman and held his own against a very tough South team defensive line during the live scrimmage. North Dakota State may have found a diamond in the rough in Hahn.

Derek McGinnis, QB, 6-4, 204, Crete

Derek McGinnis may not be considered a gunslinger but he is a very talented, athletic quarterback prospect that will be playing at North Dakota State. McGinnis throws the ball well and at his size is a load to take down when he becomes a ball carrier. Above all, you can tell that McGinnis is a leader and a competitor

DjKyRo
06-03-2012, 08:56 PM
Awesome to hear that both were making some noise. Can't wait to see them on the field.

Mr. Burgundy
06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
Looks like they took time to actually take a photo of the 3 Nebraska kids that will be playing at NDSU. Pretty cool.

http://nebraska.rivals.com/photofeature.asp?SID=928&fid=40230

Mr. Burgundy
06-03-2012, 09:01 PM
"We are solid at both guards; we moved the Garrett Johns to guard. Between him and Chase Sherman you have a couple of state titles, a couple of guys that have been in the state wrestling tournament. At tackle, you have the Mike Shoff who has been real accomplished as well. Sam Hahn is a Tri-County kid who is going to North Dakota State who is 6-foot-7 and full of a ton of potential."

Cool. Couple of very good future Missouri Valley kids.

BadlandsBison
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Plankers and Hahn; we'll have two strong tackles for a long time.

jarhead
06-03-2012, 11:02 PM
Don't forget Lechner.

BadlandsBison
06-03-2012, 11:30 PM
Don't forget Lechner.

Lechner is the most D1 ready out of these 3, in my opinion. All very capable. Plankers and Hahn will need weight room time, where as Lechner can physically compete earlier on just going off what I've seen.

BisonNeil
06-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Lechner is the most D1 ready out of these 3, in my opinion. All very capable. Plankers and Hahn will need weight room time, where as Lechner can physically compete earlier on just going off what I've seen.

At 6'7" and 240? Hmmmmm....

I do think NDSU got some nice potential in the 3 OL they signed this year, but only time will tell. It's a good thing too since they only got one OL in 2011 and it with a small 2013 class, scholarship wise, it will be interesting to see where the coaches put their scholarship money.

Good stuff on the NE connection Burg. Thanks for sharing.

BadlandsBison
06-04-2012, 12:03 AM

I do think NDSU got some nice potential in the 3 OL they signed this year, but only time will tell. It's a good thing too since they only got one OL in 2011 and it with a small 2013 class, scholarship wise, it will be interesting to see where the coaches put their scholarship money.

Bah! I meant Zach Johnson, I think Lechner needs some time too :)

perthbison
06-04-2012, 12:40 AM
[QUOTE=BadlandsBison;629787]Bah! I meant Zach Johnson, I think Lechner needs some time too :)[/QUOTElol. I was about to tell u that Plankers threw the shotput farther at state than Lechner.

Mr. Burgundy
06-04-2012, 01:03 AM

no problem. I love following recruiting. Appreciate how recruiting threads typically stay pretty clean. I am very excited about the lineman that we signed. All will redshirt which is typical of pretty much all incoming freshman. They all need to work on their weight, get stronger, learn the position, and just be ready to play in a very physical conference. I do remember the coaches saying that Lechner has the biggest hands they have ever seen. A kid that will really grow into a massive frame. Exciting time. Then you have Zach at guard who is already a beast and did a front flip in his highlight film. I think they really filled some holes up in the future with that last class.

Neil, thanks for that gopherhole link. It is kids like him that I love to get. Multi sport athlete who competes. Already a state champ in hoops. Same school as our safety turned linebacker Joey Sonnenfeld. If he doesn't get the Gopher offer (Very small class for them too), then I think we have a decent chance at him. Gotta get the kids who are just under the BCS offers. I just read a blog report that rated the big ten recruiting classes up to the minute. It almost isn't fair. Seriously, how can the Gophers compete with what Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska and mostly Michigan is currently doing. Just stacked classes being built. Michigan is killing it. 18 verbals to date. Gophers have one. Indiana....crickets.

ndsubison1
06-04-2012, 01:11 AM
not to nit pick but it's Lechler. haha

reformedUNDfan
06-04-2012, 09:23 AM
no problem. I love following recruiting. Appreciate how recruiting threads typically stay pretty clean. I am very excited about the lineman that we signed. All will redshirt which is typical of pretty much all incoming freshman. They all need to work on their weight, get stronger, learn the position, and just be ready to play in a very physical conference. I do remember the coaches saying that Lechner has the biggest hands they have ever seen. A kid that will really grow into a massive frame. Exciting time. Then you have Zach at guard who is already a beast and did a front flip in his highlight film. I think they really filled some holes up in the future with that last class.

Neil, thanks for that gopherhole link. It is kids like him that I love to get. Multi sport athlete who competes. Already a state champ in hoops. Same school as our safety turned linebacker Joey Sonnenfeld. If he doesn't get the Gopher offer (Very small class for them too), then I think we have a decent chance at him. Gotta get the kids who are just under the BCS offers. I just read a blog report that rated the big ten recruiting classes up to the minute. It almost isn't fair. Seriously, how can the Gophers compete with what Michigan, Penn State, Nebraska and mostly Michigan is currently doing. Just stacked classes being built. Michigan is killing it. 18 verbals to date. Gophers have one. Indiana....crickets.

depending on who you ask, Michigan has verbals from over 10% of the verbals from top 150 prospects so far. i think thats pretty much unheard of.

thebigund
06-04-2012, 06:54 PM
On a semi related note the Min All Star Game should be a good watch with a bunch of good recruits from both schools playing in the game particularly on the North squad

KSBisonFan
06-04-2012, 07:07 PM
On a semi related note the Min All Star Game should be a good watch with a bunch of good recruits from both schools playing in the game particularly on the North squad

NDSU and Minnesota?

thebigund
06-04-2012, 07:52 PM
NDSU and Minnesota?
yup.........

Bison"FANatic"
06-04-2012, 08:23 PM
yup.........

I guess we better not post any pictures of your mascot in that situation. You might want to be careful I sense some hostile and abusive nature in your last post.

southcliffbison
06-04-2012, 10:22 PM
[QUOTE=BadlandsBison;629787]Bah! I meant Zach Johnson, I think Lechner needs some time too :)[/QUOTE

Something to remember: Beware the spelling Nazis !!!!!!!!

thebigund
06-05-2012, 04:31 PM
I guess we better not post any pictures of your mascot in that situation. You might want to be careful I sense some hostile and abusive nature in your last post.

Spotted Horse cannot be killed by a bullet

HerdBot
06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
Bah! I meant Zach Johnson, I think Lechner needs some time too :)

And I have a gut feeling Plankers will be able to play right away because he's gotta be over 300 by now and he's apparently a smart dude too. Zach Johnson is big enough. I don't see any freshman olineman playing because it's a hard position to learn and we're solid unless Jerve, Pomerenke, or Hinz struggle.

southcliffbison
06-05-2012, 05:34 PM

Is there a possibility of this game being televised? Like on FSN ?

calelars24
06-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Is there a possibility of this game being televised? Like on FSN ?

ESPN3.com:biggrin:

MN_Moose
06-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Interesting news that due to a NCAA rule passed in Sept 2011 no all star games can be played at Div 1 facilities. This includes FBS and FCS locations. The rule 13.11.1.10 does not prevent all star games to be played at Dic 2 or Div 3 facilities.

So Nebraska will have to move their Shrine game away from U of Nebraska Memorial Field and Iowa's Shrine game will move away from Iowa State. Minnesota has allready moved their Coaches Association All Star game away from TCF field and will be played at St. Cloud State. Looks like the North Dakota Shrine game will also move away from El Forko Garnde. Most likely the N.D. / Montana Knights of Columbus games in Dikinson are ok.

Some reports have this as unintended consequences of putting in a rule to curb 7 on 7 tournaments.

tony
06-06-2012, 03:27 PM
Interesting news that due to a NCAA rule passed in Sept 2011 no all star games can be played at Div 1 facilities. This includes FBS and FCS locations. The rule 13.11.1.10 does not prevent all star games to be played at Dic 2 or Div 3 facilities.

So Nebraska will have to move their Shrine game away from U of Nebraska Memorial Field and Iowa's Shrine game will move away from Iowa State. Minnesota has allready moved their Coaches Association All Star game away from TCF field and will be played at St. Cloud State. Looks like the North Dakota Shrine game will also move away from El Forko Garnde. Most likely the N.D. / Montana Knights of Columbus games in Dikinson are ok.

Some reports have this as unintended consequences of putting in a rule to curb 7 on 7 tournaments.

I wonder if the FargoDome can still host since the city owns it. The Alerus could also argue that "Hey, we're not a DI facility in any way, shape or form." :)

heffray
06-06-2012, 05:30 PM
I wonder if the FargoDome can still host since the city owns it. The Alerus could also argue that "Hey, we're not a DI facility in any way, shape or form." :)

Bahahahahaha! Let's hope it doesn't come to that, now...

IzzyFlexion
06-07-2012, 12:19 PM

Unrelated (shocking, I know) but Tony.....you just quoted this moose fella. Would you mind asking the Angry Elf if this gentleman should be allowed to depict a slaughtered bison in his avatar? The level of desecration is unprecedented on BV in my opinion.
Can we enact some sanctions or someting, please? Given that so many of our members have shown tremendous passion in their opinions regarding our logo lately, I'd like to believe that there are more than just a few of us that take offense to this as well.