PDA

View Full Version : 2012 NCAAs in Des Moines

Buffalo.Rider
05-29-2012, 05:08 PM
Here is the schedule for the 2012 NCAA DivI National Championships in Track and Field

http://www.ncaa.com/content/2012-championships-schedule-events
(or ncaa.com/content/2012-championships-schedule-events, but add www to the beginning).

Here is the link to the 2012 Division I Track and Field Championships. Finally posted today, June 5.
www.flashresults.com/2012_Meets/outdoor/06-06-NCAADI/Day1.htm
Or flashresults.com/2012_Meets/outdoor/06-06-NCAADI/Day1.htm (but add www to the front)

Here is the link from 2011, for those who might be interested.
www.flashresults.com/2011_Meets/outdoor/06-08-NCAAChamps/Day1.htm

Buffalo.Rider
06-05-2012, 11:32 PM
The link to the NCAAs is finally up. See the post above for the link.

I noticed in Heat 3 of the Women's 800m, that Roesler (Oregon) and Price (Tennessee) are in the same heat. That should be interesting. I believe it was Price who was the other high school 800m runner that competed in the Olympic Trials against Roesler in 2008. Roesler was a sophomore at Fargo South at the time and Price was a senior in high school. Price had a slightly better personal best than Roesler in 2008 - something like 2:02 versus a 2:03 - but Roesler ran better in the Trials and advanced while Price did not.

Still feel bad that there are NOT some Bison in the NCAAs in Des Moines this year ... there were several who had the ability to make it, but just did not ... had subpar performances in the West Regionals. I am sure they are feeling bad too. Maybe that will make them more hungry next year, and more determined to make it. I hope so, they deserve to go.

bisonaudit
06-06-2012, 11:57 AM
Not that familiar with elite track and field so maybe this is a stupid question but do the impending Olympic Trials impact who's participating at the NCAAs or are they far enough apart that it's not an issue?

IzzyFlexion
06-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Not that familiar with elite track and field so maybe this is a stupid question but do the impending Olympic Trials impact who's participating at the NCAAs or are they far enough apart that it's not an issue?

Not track and field related but the US Olympic Swimming trials are at the end of June. Minot's Dagny Knutson, who is on the US National Team, should have a good shot at qualifying.
There's another girl from Williston (can't remember her name) that supposedly has a chance too. Yeah, I know. She's an UNDie but I'll still pull for her.

Buffalo.Rider
06-06-2012, 06:06 PM

The Olympic Trials do not impact the NCAA Track and Field National meet. The question of who goes to the NCAA meet in Des Moines is determined on the track and in the field ... the top finishers (top 8, top 12, the numbers vary by event) in each of the East and West Regionals advance to the NCAA meet in Des Moines. Qualifying times matter for getting into the East and West Regionals ... the top 48 in each event in each region go to those ... but after that the athletes earn their trip to Des Moines in head-to-head competition.

The NCAAs also do not impact who goes to the Olympic Trials. A winner of an event in the NCAA Division I national meet does not automatically get a birth in the Trials (at least this is my understanding). Qualifying for the Olympic Trials is based entirely on performances. There is an A standard and a B (provisional) standard. Anyone who makes the A standard has qualified for the Olympic Trials. Anyone who has made the B standard might go ... the Olympic Trials officials see how many slots remain open in each event after the A folks are admitted, and they fill the remaining slots with people who have made the B standard, beginning with the best B standard performances. Typically, the better performances in the B standard qualify, while the barely made it B standard people are unlikely to make it.

missingnumber7
06-06-2012, 08:04 PM
The Olympic Trials do not impact the NCAA Track and Field National meet. The question of who goes to the NCAA meet in Des Moines is determined on the track and in the field ... the top finishers (top 8, top 12, the numbers vary by event) in each of the East and West Regionals advance to the NCAA meet in Des Moines. Qualifying times matter for getting into the East and West Regionals ... the top 48 in each event in each region go to those ... but after that the athletes earn their trip to Des Moines in head-to-head competition.

The NCAAs also do not impact who goes to the Olympic Trials. A winner of an event in the NCAA Division I national meet does not automatically get a birth in the Trials (at least this is my understanding). Qualifying for the Olympic Trials is based entirely on performances. There is an A standard and a B (provisional) standard. Anyone who makes the A standard has qualified for the Olympic Trials. Anyone who has made the B standard might go ... the Olympic Trials officials see how many slots remain open in each event after the A folks are admitted, and they fill the remaining slots with people who have made the B standard, beginning with the best B standard performances. Typically, the better performances in the B standard qualify, while the barely made it B standard people are unlikely to make it.I believe teh questions that was being asked was more along the lines of when the meets occur and if there is a conflict would a runner skip the NCAAs because of the potential to run for the USA?

Buffalo.Rider
06-07-2012, 12:06 AM
I believe teh questions that was being asked was more along the lines of when the meets occur and if there is a conflict would a runner skip the NCAAs because of the potential to run for the USA?

On a closer read ... looks like you are right.

Buffalo.Rider
06-07-2012, 12:12 AM
Laura Roesler posted a personal best in the 800m today, running a 2:02.09.
Her previous best was as a sophomore at Fargo South when she ran a 2:03.08.
That makes her #5 all-time at Oregon (it would be #3 all-time at NDSU).
She took second in her heat and qualified for the finals, which will be run on Friday.

GOOD LUCK Laura. Go get 'em !

tony
06-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Laura Roesler posted a personal best in the 800m today, running a 2:02.09.

GOOD LUCK Laura. Go get 'em !

Wow, that's a great time!

sambini
06-07-2012, 02:44 AM
Looking forward t the finals leavn thursday for DesMoines.. Go Laura and on a sidenote Steve Lemke a former Fargo North javelin thrower.. former class A state champion is the throws coach for Florida Gators.

TransAmBison
06-07-2012, 01:53 PM
Not track and field related but the US Olympic Swimming trials are at the end of June. Minot's Dagny Knutson, who is on the US National Team, should have a good shot at qualifying.
There's another girl from Williston (can't remember her name) that supposedly has a chance too. Yeah, I know. She's an UNDie but I'll still pull for her.
I heard you'd pull for anything with a pulse...not so sure a pulse is even a discriminating factor... :)

Castor Troy
06-08-2012, 01:54 AM
Laura just ran 51.8 in the 4x4 to lead her team to first in the heat. She looks ready for tomorrow. Their lead leg was very weak but Laura ran 3rd and got them in second for their anchor leg who ran 50.09.

sambini
06-08-2012, 01:32 PM
lookin forward to track and field today at Drake..

Buffalo.Rider
06-08-2012, 11:32 PM
Laura Roesler - got 4th in the 800m.
First Team All-American.
If she ran the same time she ran in the prelims ... about 2:02, her personal best ... she still would have gotten 4th place since the first three all ran 2:01 something. Fast race. She ran 2:02.96 in the final.

Buffalo.Rider
06-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Some other results of note:

Women's 3000m Steeplechase. Top 8 ranged from 9:40 to 10:12. I don't know how typical those times are. Maddie McClellan ran a 10:19 this year, so it sure appears that with normal improvement she has a great shot at making the Top 8 (and 1st team All-America) sometime before her NDSU career is over.

Men's Hammer Throw. Top 8 ranged from 249 to 209 feet. There were six throwers in the 208 to 209 foot range, so that was interesting, with the two throwing 209-7 making Top 8. I think Casey Orgon at NDSU has a chance at making that if the distances are comparable next year and he keeps improving. The 209 is about a 5% improvement over what he has done.

Men's 800m. Top 8 were 1:45 to 1:47 (1:47.62). That is a pretty tough standard, but Moses Heppner ran a mid-1:49 this year so there some possibilities here.

Possibly some more commentary tomorrow.

Cameron Levins of S. Utah won both the men's 10,000m and the 5000m. That is impressive. If my memory is correct, he won the 1500m at the Summit League Championships.

semobison
06-09-2012, 12:46 AM
Another Impressive win for the Summit league, Whitt of ORU wins the mens Pole Vault!

Castor Troy
06-09-2012, 01:44 AM
Laura ran a little tight. 3 runners snuck away from everyone on that 3rd 200and meters which all the action
Happens in the 800 anyway. She ran fine but it looks like she had more left in the tank. At least she beat
Kesselring so she can say she is the best 800 runner on the team.

Cam Levins blew the doors off everyone in the last 200 of the 5000. I was also cheering for Minnesota's
Hassan Mead who held on for 4th. I also got to watch the long hurdles with Lars. He gave a priceless play
by play performance. The weather has been perfect for track.

westnodak93bison
06-09-2012, 02:20 AM
How about 7-8 to win the mens HJ and 7 over 7-4 1/4

westnodak93bison
06-09-2012, 02:24 AM
Laura just ran 51.8 in the 4x4 to lead her team to first in the heat. She looks ready for tomorrow. Their lead leg was very weak but Laura ran 3rd and got them in second for their anchor leg who ran 50.09.

I don't understand why she isn't running the open 400m? I'm not saying every meet but come on. She definitely can break 52 imho.

sambini
06-09-2012, 05:01 AM
Congrats Laura and its been a blast watchn this meet. Perfect weather saturday should be just as awesome. Good to see you Castor Troy.. 11:03 4x100 meter relay..

Buffalo.Rider
06-09-2012, 05:05 AM
I don't understand why she isn't running the open 400m? I'm not saying every meet but come on. She definitely can break 52 imho.

I think Roesler is not running the 400m because (1) it is not her best event, the 800m is, and (2) she has a better chance of winning the 800m than the 400m, (3) perhaps she has more confidence about the 800m.

In reading Castor Troy's comments on watching her ... sounds like Laura is still a bit intimidated by some of her competitors, she is not yet at the point where she knows she can win if she runs her best. I suspect she is running with doubts. I think based on her history, that she has the talent and ability ... but the mental part of her race is not there yet. When an athlete knows he can win, he runs with more decisiveness to ensure the race never gets away from him, and so he is set up for winning it down the stretch. When he is not sure, he will be tentative when he runs, and lead runners can then creep away from him without him noticing, or while he tries to decide if he can keep up. Once they get too far ahead, the desparation kick is not enough to catch the leaders. Once Roesler gets to the point where she knows she can win (and assuming she wants to win and is not afraid to win), she will set herself up better for the final 200m sprint ... and with her speed, I don't believe anyone in the United States can outkick her on the final 200m.

Perhaps I am all wet, but those are my opinions.

westnodak93bison
06-09-2012, 11:21 AM
I think Roesler is not running the 400m because (1) it is not her best event, the 800m is, and (2) she has a better chance of winning the 800m than the 400m, (3) perhaps she has more confidence about the 800m.

In reading Castor Troy's comments on watching her ... sounds like Laura is still a bit intimidated by some of her competitors, she is not yet at the point where she knows she can win if she runs her best. I suspect she is running with doubts. I think based on her history, that she has the talent and ability ... but the mental part of her race is not there yet. When an athlete knows he can win, he runs with more decisiveness to ensure the race never gets away from him, and so he is set up for winning it down the stretch. When he is not sure, he will be tentative when he runs, and lead runners can then creep away from him without him noticing, or while he tries to decide if he can keep up. Once they get too far ahead, the desparation kick is not enough to catch the leaders. Once Roesler gets to the point where she knows she can win (and assuming she wants to win and is not afraid to win), she will set herself up better for the final 200m sprint ... and with her speed, I don't believe anyone in the United States can outkick her on the final 200m.

Perhaps I am all wet, but those are my opinions.

Was this a "tactical" race? I hate that word because it is over used. At what point does an 800m runner say screw the tactical part and get out in front and go for it? So many times you see runners get caught up in the wash and fight to get out which imho could take more energy than just busting it from the start and not looking back. For some of them imho getting out and running scared(about being passed) is probably their best tactic.

semobison
06-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Was this a "tactical" race? I hate that word because it is over used. At what point does an 800m runner say screw the tactical part and get out in front and go for it? So many times you see runners get caught up in the wash and fight to get out which imho could take more energy than just busting it from the start and not looking back. For some of them imho getting out and running scared(about being passed) is probably their best tactic.

The beauty of the 800 is its almost always tactical. Ive seen more runners than not "go for it" only to be outkicked the last 100 meters. The 3rd 200 as Castor Troy wrote about is the get yourself into position part of the race. Sounds like thats where Laura may have let this one get away. That being said, she ran her two all time best times in 3 days and 4th at the NCAA's is nothing to sneeze at. Great job Laura!

westnodak93bison
06-09-2012, 12:53 PM
The beauty of the 800 is its almost always tactical. Ive seen more runners than not "go for it" only to be outkicked the last 100 meters. The 3rd 200 as Castor Troy wrote about is the get yourself into position part of the race. Sounds like thats where Laura may have let this one get away. That being said, she ran her two all time best times in 3 days and 4th at the NCAA's is nothing to sneeze at. Great job Laura!

I agree great job. It seems to me there is some glory in "out kicking" somebody rather than just holding on. Personally I'd rather get passed and place third rather than pass a few runners and take 4th. IMHO, there should be a focus on doing what it takes to run your best time rather than playing cat and mouse and ending up trying to pass somebody in lane 3-4 all the while running 810m rather than 800.

IzzyFlexion
06-09-2012, 01:00 PM
University of South Dakota sophomore Bethany Buell takes 3rd in the women's pole vault with a jump of 4.40 meters which translates to about 14' 5". That's a helluva number. A second coyote in the same event, Emily Grove gets 7th clearing 4.25 meters (or about 13' 11") So just in that event USD scores 8 points!

semobison
06-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I agree great job. It seems to me there is some glory in "out kicking" somebody rather than just holding on. Personally I'd rather get passed and place third rather than pass a few runners and take 4th. IMHO, there should be a focus on doing what it takes to run your best time rather than playing cat and mouse and ending up trying to pass somebody in lane 3-4 all the while running 810m rather than 800.

Not a lot of cat and mouse going on in the 800 now days. The 800 has become a long controlled sprint. To be successfull you need to get yourself into position to finish. Ive seen runners go out hard and are leading with 100 to go place 8th. The 400 is another fast tactical race. Go balls out from the start and you are going to die. I have seen a lot of slow tactical races in the 1500 or longer, where there is a lot of cat and mouse going on but in the 400 and 800 you need to get yourself in position to finish. Both races are always tactical, but rarely slow!

Buffalo.Rider
06-09-2012, 03:24 PM
The rule of thumb, as I have been told it, is that a person can sustain a hard sprint for about 300m (or 300y), then they start to tail off. This in my mind dictates how one should run the 800m.

In the 800m it is important to be within sight of the leaders going into the backstretch on the second lap when there is 300m left. If someone gets boxed in for that backstretch and can't make their break until entering the final curve, they end up running the 810 meters that westnodak93Bison mentioned. On the other hand, if they have positioned themselves on the 2nd 200m of the first lap to be within a reasonable distance - within 5-10 yards - of the leaders when they hit the '300m-to-go' mark, then for the final backstretch either go with the leaders or close the distance from the leaders, then they should be well positioned for the final 200m kick.

BUT, aside from the tactical things ... there is the all-important mental aspect of the race. (and here is where I think the Bison suffered this year at the NCAA West Regionals ... they were not as prepared as they should have been). When the athlete KNOWS they can win (as opposed to hopes they can win, or hopes they might win), then the tactics work. If they don't KNOW they can win, then the alternative mental aspects that can work are (a) to be DEFIANT, not giving a damn how good those other sons-o*-b*** think they are, I ain't letting them get anything without having the fight of their life, or (b) to simply not give a hoot who else is in the race and just committing oneself to run the race with nothing left at the end. When one should use these different mental approaches - either to build up confidence, or to win a race - is part of the art of coaching.

Just thought of it ... Alan Webb's American Record in the mile ... he set it at a rather obscure European meet ... I suspect his approach was (b) since it was not a championship race, or a race where all the marbles were on the line, so I suspect he just ran with a committment to have nothing left at the end.

Buffalo.Rider
06-09-2012, 03:50 PM

Consider two races from the 1972 Olympics. Dave Wottle in the 800m and Steve Prefontaine in the 5000m. There are some videos out on youtube.com (possibly other places) for both of these races. Prefontaine decided to lead from the front for most of the 5000m. Rule of thumb is that leaders expend 7% more energy than those drafting behind. He was in a great position for most of the race, and then got passed down the final 100m, finishing 4th and out of the metal ranks. Wottle, on the other nosed in for the gold medal in the last 5 yards of the race as others faded. These two races, in many ways, show how race strategies and tactics can matter and I think it is lessons like this that influence how people run today.

Castor Troy
06-09-2012, 06:12 PM
Oregon wins the 4x4 in a blazing time of 3:24. Laura does her part by running a 51.7 but the anchor leg won it for them.

IzzyFlexion
06-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Oregon wins the 4x4 in a blazing time of 3:24. Laura does her part by running a 51.7 but the anchor leg won it for them.

3:24 flat is the equivalent of each of the 4 women running/averaging back to back to back to back 12.75 100 meters!
That's a fairly decent performance.

Buffalo.Rider
06-09-2012, 10:38 PM

Oregon was in 2nd place, behind LSU, when Roesler got the baton, and she put Oregon into 1st place ... according to the website (I did not see the race). A 3:24 flat is averaging 51 seconds for each quarter. Also of note in that performance is that the time is about 4 seconds faster than their Oregon school record from last year (a MASSIVE improvement), is a new NCAA Championships meet record, and perhaps most interesing and amazing of all is that all four runners are ... SOPHOMORES.

Castor Troy ... thanks for the clarification below !
(this was added after my original post)

Castor Troy
06-10-2012, 12:57 AM
[QUOTE=Buffalo.Rider;630788]Oregon was in 2nd place, behind LSU, when Roesler got the baton, and she put Oregon into 1st place ... according to the website (I did not see the race). A 3:24 flat is averaging 51 seconds for each quarter. Also of note in thatches performance is that the time is about 4 seconds faster than their Oregon school record from last year (a MASSIVE improvement), is a new NCAA Championships meet record, and perhaps most interesing and amazing of all is that all four runners are ... SOPHOMORES.

Actually Laura got the baton from behind even though the both received the baton at the
same time. It must have been a bad hand off. Not sure. She was about 15 meters behind
but she brought them within 5. Both anchors went out really fast so the Oregon runner
fought the entire way and edged her out in the end. Laura did awesome but she did not
give them the lead.

sambini
06-10-2012, 06:57 AM
Laura did a great job. And Castor that mens 4 by 4 was a dandy 2.. Loved the meet

Castor Troy
06-12-2012, 10:17 PM
I apologize for the quality since I took this video with my phone. I was not able to zoom because I was holding my 14 month old boy. But I think the play by play from the announcer is good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z29lKV04fzE&feature=plcp

tony
06-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I apologize for the quality since I took this video with my phone. I was not able to zoom because I was holding my 14 month old boy. But I think the play by play from the announcer is good.

Thanks for posting that, sorry I wasn't any help with the technical details.

Nice interview with Laura on the 740 site:

http://740thefan.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=8

sambini
06-13-2012, 05:36 AM
thanks for posting that, sorry i wasn't any help with the technical details.

Nice interview with laura on the 740 site:

http://740thefan.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=8thanks tony for the link.. Laura you make us proud keep it up at the trials.

Castor Troy
06-14-2012, 02:03 PM
I just wanted to comment on some of the thoughts that have been expressed about the 800 meters as a race. I just had my phone when I was at nationals so I wanted to wait until I got to keyboard and had some time. I have talked about the 800 on this board before but I can explain now as well. The 800 uses a different energy system from the sprints as well as the 1500 and up. It uses the lactic acid system, which means if you treat it like a sprint, lactic acid will will build up too quickly in your blood stream and you will start to feel fatigue and slow down. If you go out too fast and treat it like a distance race, you will run slow. The more accomplished 800 runners have figured out how fast they can go out without building up LA. That is why it is very important to try and run even splits. Most of the best times ever run have splits that are with 1.5 seconds of each other. Speed is necessary but it is not essential running a fast 800. If this was true, then more sprinters would run the 800. The greatest 800 runner ever is Sebastian Coe and his father was his trainer. Seb was a 47 second 400 runner but he was able to run in the 1:41s. His training was very specific and all of his training runs were not too far from his race pace. His distance runs were groups into intervals- like doing 200's at his 5k race.

Keep in mind that this is not my opinion, but it is science.

Buffalo.Rider
06-14-2012, 03:22 PM
Thanks for your insights on the 800 Castor Troy.
I believe Seb trained by running about 35 miles per week.
Lower mileage than is typical for an 800m runner, not to
mention a 1500m runner.

KSBisonFan
06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
I just wanted to comment on some of the thoughts that have been expressed about the 800 meters as a race. I just had my phone when I was at nationals so I wanted to wait until I got to keyboard and had some time. I have talked about the 800 on this board before but I can explain now as well. The 800 uses a different energy system from the sprints as well as the 1500 and up. It uses the lactic acid system, which means if you treat it like a sprint, lactic acid will will build up too quickly in your blood stream and you will start to feel fatigue and slow down. If you go out too fast and treat it like a distance race, you will run slow. The more accomplished 800 runners have figured out how fast they can go out without building up LA. That is why it is very important to try and run even splits. Most of the best times ever run have splits that are with 1.5 seconds of each other. Speed is necessary but it is not essential running a fast 800. If this was true, then more sprinters would run the 800. The greatest 800 runner ever is Sebastian Coe and his father was his trainer. Seb was a 47 second 400 runner but he was able to run in the 1:41s. His training was very specific and all of his training runs were not too far from his race pace. His distance runs were groups into intervals- like doing 200's at his 5k race.

Keep in mind that this is not my opinion, but it is science.

Thanks for your insights on the 800 Castor Troy.
I believe Seb trained by running about 35 miles per week.
Lower mileage than is typical for an 800m runner, not to
mention a 1500m runner.

Good stuff......this might be a stupid question, my kid runs track (mostly sprints but has run the 800 in the past) and they run weird distances in practice. What distances should he be practicing for the 400 and the 800? I imagine some longer distances for endurance and actual 800's to get his pace and splits worked out?????

Castor Troy
06-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Good stuff......this might be a stupid question, my kid runs track (mostly sprints but has run the 800 in the past) and they run weird distances in practice. What distances should he be practicing for the 400 and the 800? I imagine some longer distances for endurance and actual 800's to get his pace and splits worked out?????

It's not a stupid question at all when considering the answer I am about to give. It sounds like he is more of a 800 and under guy instead of someone that runs 800 and up. Because he runs different events other than the 800, which most of them do, he probably runs all kinds of intervals. I would start the season running steady state runs of 3-4 minutes in length at a pace slower than race pace but not jogging. After a couple of weeks I would do one day of intervals per week at race pace, say 4x300's with 2 minutes rest in between. I also like to do simulations, which would be alternating intervals of 600-200 with the 600 at race pace and then run the 200 after only 30 seconds rest as fast as you can. I would do 2 sets of that. Very seldomly would they do full 800's in practice outside of steady state runs instead of long slow distance (LSD).

semobison
06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
It's not a stupid question at all when considering the answer I am about to give. It sounds like he is more of a 800 and under guy instead of someone that runs 800 and up. Because he runs different events other than the 800, which most of them do, he probably runs all kinds of intervals. I would start the season running steady state runs of 3-4 minutes in length at a pace slower than race pace but not jogging. After a couple of weeks I would do one day of intervals per week at race pace, say 4x300's with 2 minutes rest in between. I also like to do simulations, which would be alternating intervals of 600-200 with the 600 at race pace and then run the 200 after only 30 seconds rest as fast as you can. I would do 2 sets of that. Very seldomly would they do full 800's in practice outside of steady state runs instead of long slow distance (LSD).

Some great stuff Troy! Obviously you know your T&F. I think it is important to add that training during a season goes from early season quanity (more work, slower pace, less rest) to late season quality (fewer intervals, faster pace, more rest).

Buffalo.Rider
08-08-2012, 04:05 PM
I was (and still am) disappointed that the Bison athletes (overall) had a lamentably subpar day at the NCAAs. I felt (and still feel) that they were not ready mentally. (If they had bad food, like the 1990 Football team under Wacker in the playoffs, then of course that would explain it, but so far I have not heard this.)

In any case, here are some words from Sally Pearson, gold medalist in 100m hurdles in the London Olympics. I think they show the mind of a champion and what it takes to peak mentally at the biggest competitions. Particularly telling is her comment that you have KNOW that you can do it - not hope for it, and not merely believe it. Also shows part of the role of teamwork in track and field, and other informative tidbits.

I might add to clarify, who are champions (at least to me)? The ones who gives it their all, no holding back.

Asked if victory was what she expected now she had attained it, the newly minted champion replied: "Definitely. Everything and more, I think. I remember in 2000 when Cathy Freeman (AUS, 400m Gold, 2000 Olympics) won I said to myself 'I want that as well.’ I wanted to train to be the best athlete in the world, although I didn’t know what kind of an athlete because I was only 13 at the time. It was a matter of just knowing that that’s what I wanted do, knowing I wanted to work hard for it and that it wasn’t going to come easy."

"Winning an Olympic gold medal isn’t easy to do. You have to stay focused. But I have had belief in myself, probably in the last four years more than anything. When I won silver in Beijing, that’s when I knew that I could be the best in the world. That’s when I knew I had the belief in myself to get to the title, and this is everything and more than I wanted."

"... When I looked out of the window this morning and saw grey skies I thought, 'Oh well, that’s what I expected to happen.’ But nothing was going to stop me."

"I had some great room-mates. Most of them have finished now. They’re the ones that really got me through, just keeping me calm and keeping me laughing and keeping me distracted from the thing that was staring me in the face – the hurdles final. In the end it was just really belief for me – it’s believing in yourself, giving it a crack and knowing that you can do it."

Buffalo.Rider
08-12-2012, 03:14 PM
. . . The more accomplished 800 runners have figured out how fast they can go out without building up LA. That is why it is very important to try and run even splits. Most of the best times ever run have splits that are with 1.5 seconds of each other.

Here are Rudisha's splits from his 1:40.91 at the 2012 Olympics. This data is from trackandfieldnews.com.
trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/display-article?arId=76844
------
Based on a combination of official splits and T&FN's video analysis, here's how the 1:40.91 broke out by 200s:

25.8 [49.28]
25.0 [1:14.3]

Halves: 49.28/51.6

Final 100: 13.7
------
I was surprised that Rudisha, in a sense, slowed down throughout that last 400m.
On Symmonds: In watching Nick Symmonds in the race (who until this race, had been the best 800m runner in the US for the last few years), I became frustrated in that I felt he put himself too far from the leaders for most of the race and did not put himself in a good position to medal at the 200m-to-go mark. But he ran a PB by nearly a second, and as Symmonds said afterward, he was disappointed that he did not medal but he ran faster than he thought he could. I wonder if he could have done even better if he would have worked the first 200m of the second 400m so he was within 5 meters of the leaders with 200m to go. One will never know of course. I also wonder if Symmonds splits were more even than those of the pack in front of him.

In any case congrats to both Solomon and Symmonds, now #2 and #3 all-time US. Solomon had a huge race, and a bigger PR than Symmonds.

HS Track Coach
08-16-2012, 11:24 PM
In the 800, 33 of of the last 35 world records set in the 800, the first lap is 2 seconds faster than the second lap. In other words, for the 800, the optimum race is to run the first lap 2 seconds faster than the second lap. Also, 200 splits are progressively slower as the race goes on in these world record races. It only looks like they are speeding up because others are paying for going out too fast (not running an optimum race) and falling apart. I don't know Symmond's splits, but my guess is that his splits were in the range of 50.5 for the first lap and 52.5 for the seond lap. Since it was his personal best by nearly a second, maybe it was his plan to try to run those splits. To try and go out faster to maintain contact in the first 600 meters of the race, may have meant falling apart in the 4th 200 of the race rather than appear that he was speeding up and running people down who were paying for trying to maintain contact.

sambini
08-18-2012, 03:04 AM
Buffalo Rider just a note Coach Wacker was not here in 1990. Rocky Hager was our coach in 1990. And the food poisoning happened in IN 1977.