PDA

View Full Version : NCAA Preliminaries

Hammersmith
05-25-2012, 03:16 AM
11 Bison are competing in the prelims; 6 women and 5 men. I'll try to update results as I get chances. Top 12 qualify for nationals.

Women:
Team
- 1,600-meter relay: finished 6th in their heat and 20th overall
Antoinette Goodman
- long jump: fouled twice and finished 43rd in the prelim
- 200-meter run: third in her heat and 16th overall in the prelim; advances to qtr
Paige Stratioti
- 400-meter run: finished last(8th) in her heat and 44th overall in the prelim
Brittany Schanandore
- 800-meter run: fourth in her heat(8) and 19th overall in the prelim; finished 19th in the semi(top 12 advanced)
Ashlynn Simon
- 800-meter run: finished last in her heat(same one as Brittany) and 47th overall in the prelim
Maddie McClellan
- 3,000m steeplechase: finished 7th in her heat and 14th overall; the top 12 advanced
Amy Jo Thorne
- 3,000m steeplechase: finished 9th in her heat and 24th overall in the prelim

Men:
Matt Tetzlaff
- 110-meter hurdles: finished 5th in his heat and 36th overall in the prelim
Moses Heppner
- 800-meter run: finished 7th in his heat(8) and 42nd overall in the prelim
Travis Fitzke
- 1,500-meter run: finished 7th in his heat(12) and 27th overall in the prelim
Casey Orgon
- hammer throw: heartbreaker - the top 16 were allowed 3 more throws to make the top 12, Casey was 17th
Jeramy Geditz
- high jump: finished 18th in his flight and 33rd overall

Thursday was not a good day for the Bison(save for Brittany). Casey, Matt, Antoinette, Brittany, Maddie and Amy Jo will all compete tomorrow.

edit: Here's the link to livestats. Forgot that. http://www.texassports.com/livestats/c-track/

Buffalo.Rider
05-25-2012, 03:42 AM
Nice Summary Hammersmith.

others ... here is the link to Thursday's results.
http://www.runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=3280&do=news&year=2012&pg=1&news_id=25871&folder_id=0#news

and again, with the www missing (so add this)
runnerspace.com/eprofile.php?event_id=3280&do=news&year=2012&pg=1&news_id=25871&folder_id=0#news

Yes, it was not a good day for the Bison. Bad food (as in food poisoning?), nerves, kickers races? Heppner, Fitzke, Stratioti, Simon did not run anywhere near their personal bests. Consequently and unfortunately, none advanced. They should all be back next year, however, with another year of maturity under their belt, and hopefully less nerves.

Buffalo.Rider
05-25-2012, 03:48 AM
Laura Roesler ran well ... won her heat of the 800 meter prelims. Brittany Shanandore of the Bison, however, ran a faster time.

Another ND product ... Brandon Barnes (2011 state 800 champ Bismarck, now at Iowa State), not in the 800, so did not qualify, or he possibly redshirted the outdoor season.

Buffalo.Rider
05-26-2012, 04:26 AM
Amy Jo Thorne - 10:42 in the steeple, about 20 seconds slower than her personal best, which she ran this outdoor season.
Maddie McClellan - 10:27, about 8 seconds off her best.
Casey Orgon - threw equal to his personal best of 197 feet.

As Hammersmith noted, none advanced.

In general I think the NDSU coaching staff is very very good.
However, based on how the runners have done at this NCAA, it appears that they did a poor job getting their athletes ready (mentally) for this meet. Brittany ran a race near her personal best, but no one, not even Brittany, ran a personal best ... and many of the NDSU athletes would have advanced if they would have run near their personal bests.

Castor Troy
05-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Amy Jo Thorne - 10:42 in the steeple, about 20 seconds slower than her personal best, which she ran this outdoor season.
Maddie McClellan - 10:27, about 8 seconds off her best.
Casey Orgon - threw equal to his personal best of 197 feet.

As Hammersmith noted, none advanced.

In general I think the NDSU coaching staff is very very good.
However, based on how the runners have done at this NCAA, it appears that they did a poor job getting their athletes ready (mentally) for this meet. Brittany ran a race near her personal best, but no one, not even Brittany, ran a personal best ... and many of the NDSU athletes would have advanced if they would have run near their personal bests.

I have a hard time blaming the coaches in this situation. It is difficult for athletes to give it all again after such
an emotional meet. Even if the coaches did everything right it is still up to the athlete to perform. Mental
preparation is the responsibilty of the athlete. Big speeches don't work in track. They know what they need to do. I am just bummed that i don't get to watch any Bison at nationals. Hopefully Roesler does well and
Grooters makes it.

Buffalo.Rider
05-26-2012, 04:51 PM
I have a hard time blaming the coaches in this situation. . . . Mental
preparation is the responsibilty of the athlete. Big speeches don't work in track. They know what they need to do.

I don't have any issues putting part of the responsibility on the coaches. Now if the weather was horrible, or the athlete's got food poisoning (as the Bison football team did in 1990 during the playoffs), then sub-par performances are understandable. As far as I know, that was not the problem in Austin.

I think the NDSU coaches did not do a good job getting the athletes ready for the NCAAs, based on the athlete's performances (overall). A coaches job is not just to decide on the daily and monthly workouts, they also should be explaining the physics of running to their athletes (Edwin Moses used to talk about how he applied physics to his hurdling), race strategies, when to begin a kick ... and last but not least, how to approach the big meets from a mental standpoint. The athletes don't always know what to do, or how to think. That is what a coach is there for - to coach, to teach, to mentor. It is more than just specifying the workouts and having athlete's go through stretching drills

I agree that big speeches don't matter much. That is not where the mental part of the sport is coached, or where it begins. It needs to be taught throughout the track season, and is a combination of fostering confidence (beyond the confidence that comes from success), defiance (for when going against people who have better marks), proper risk taking, and so on. These things are not entirely the responsibility of the athlete as you suggest - it is a shared responsibility of the athlete and the coach. Even the support network matters a great deal. Athletes who don't have a healthy support network (of coaches, friends, followers, family, etc.) generally do not reach their potential.

Buffalo.Rider
05-26-2012, 05:04 PM
In short ... the track and field athletes should be posting their best times (heights, distances, etc.) at the end of the year - or near their best.

Only Brittany Shanandore and Casey Orgon were in the vicinity of their best at the NCAAs. That is not how it should have been. The athletes should have been savoring the opportunity to prove what they could do up against good competition - and that it seems, was lacking. If they were, it would have showed up in better overall performances.

Hammersmith
05-26-2012, 05:19 PM
I don't follow track, but are these late start times typical? Most of the running events seem like they're between 7 and 9 at night. I assume it's partially because of the Texas spring/summer heat, but is it common at other meets?

Buffalo.Rider
05-26-2012, 05:39 PM
I don't follow track, but are these late start times typical? Most of the running events seem like they're between 7 and 9 at night. I assume it's partially because of the Texas spring/summer heat, but is it common at other meets?

It is not that unusual to have evening track and field in other parts of the U.S. It is not common in Fargo because it starts to cool off after 5 or 6 pm, and it can cool off a lot and quite rapidly. The Oregon twilight meet a few weeks ago (in Eugene) was an evening track and field event.

I lived in Austin a while ago and the hottest part of the day is typically 5pm to 9pm. The evening likely is not so much due to the heat because it does not start to cool off until late at night, but it might be to keep the athletes from baking under the sun.

Hammersmith
05-27-2012, 12:08 AM
Did Jeramy not compete in the high jump today? I can't find his name in the results anywhere. Maybe it's an error in the reporting. All that's left now is the women's 4x400 relay at 9:45.

Never mind. They finally fixed things by adding the results of the second flight.

Hammersmith
05-27-2012, 03:17 AM
And that wraps up the NCAA prelims. No Bison will be going to Drake for the nationals. Final results are in the original post.

Hammersmith
05-27-2012, 05:58 AM
Results a bit more disappointing considering the other Summit athletes that will be going to Drake. I think this is the complete list, though I may have missed some:

Jared Vlastuin SDSU Long Jump
Clive Chafausipo ORU Long Jump
Jeffery Gibson ORU 400m Hurdles
Jack Whitt ORU Pole Vault
Alexa Duling USD 400m Hurdles
Bethany Buell USD Pole Vault
Emily Grove USD Pole Vault
Cameron Levins SUU 5000m, 10,000m

IzzyFlexion
05-27-2012, 12:58 PM
In a somewhat related topic, the North Dakota High School State Track Meet times and distances were awful this weekend. (most of it)

Buffalo.Rider
05-28-2012, 01:47 AM
In a somewhat related topic, the North Dakota High School State Track Meet times and distances were awful this weekend. (most of it)

Anyone there? What was the weather? Lots of wind? Cold and windy?

semobison
05-28-2012, 02:41 AM
I worked the ND state meet, it was cold and windy with rain on saturday. Meet records fell in the boys discus, 192'8" by a Bryan Bjerk a junior from Red River. Drew Weisman a junior from Century won the 200 in 21.76, the 400 in 48.82 (He ran 48.4 in the prelims friday) and the 300 hurdles in a state record time of 37.06. Jake Leingang another junior from Bismarck won the 1600 on friday in 4:13 and change and the 3200 on saturday but was over 30 seconds off his PR. On the girls side Morgan Milbrath the junior from Minot won the 100, 200, 400 and 300 hurdles. Her best race was a 54.4 400 in the prelims friday. Kira Larson, coach Larson's daughter won the high jump at 5'8" beating two girls from Century who went 5'8" and 5'6". I dont know what you were thinking Izzy, but these were all great performances considering the conditions!

IzzyFlexion
05-28-2012, 12:31 PM
I worked the ND state meet, it was cold and windy with rain on saturday. Meet records fell in the boys discus, 192'8" by a Bryan Bjerk a junior from Red River. Drew Weisman a junior from Century won the 200 in 21.76, the 400 in 48.82 (He ran 48.4 in the prelims friday) and the 300 hurdles in a state record time of 37.06. Jake Leingang another junior from Bismarck won the 1600 on friday in 4:13 and change and the 3200 on saturday but was over 30 seconds off his PR. On the girls side Morgan Milbrath the junior from Minot won the 100, 200, 400 and 300 hurdles. Her best race was a 54.4 400 in the prelims friday. Kira Larson, coach Larson's daughter won the high jump at 5'8" beating two girls from Century who went 5'8" and 5'6". I dont know what you were thinking Izzy, but these were all great performances considering the conditions!

You're right. It's not very smart for some fat old fart 800 miles from the meet to be criticizing the effort of these kids. Not defending myself but I did make those comments/post before the finals of the 200 meters and discus were posted. Both the discuss and 200 meter records are very impressive. Also, I saw a picture on in-forum's website and the conditions looked terrible.
So again, I humbly apologize for being insensative. I just love track so much I just get giddy when I see phenominal times/distances.

Thanks for calling me out Semo......seriously. It allowed to see how "pricky" my post was. I was out of line.

EDIT- I see that Wiseman's 200 meter win wasn't a record, but still a good time give the conditions. I see that he ran 21.64 in the prelims.

Buffalo.Rider
05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
Given the conditions and no one able to seriously push her, the 54.4 by Milbreath in the 400m is an impressive time. Outside the race between her and Roesler in 2010, it is the best time ever by a high school girl in North Dakota, and would be #5 all time at NDSU. (Her 2010 time of 53.31, however, would be a school record at NDSU - think that one might stand a few years at Minot High School?).

dragonsfan
05-29-2012, 06:26 PM
MSUM dragons had a couple of all americans (they competed vs ndsu alot this year, so i thought itd be relevant, sorry)

http://www.msumdragons.com/news/2012/5/27/MTRACK_0527120328.aspx?path=track

Buffalo.Rider
05-30-2012, 03:54 AM
MSUM dragons had a couple of all americans (they competed vs ndsu alot this year, so i thought itd be relevant, sorry)

http://www.msumdragons.com/news/2012/5/27/MTRACK_0527120328.aspx?path=track

I do not think you need to apologize. Congratulations to our friends across the river. I believe Van Wechel ran a 4:22 1500m this year ... she is an excellent runner. All-American Div II is a significant achievement, excellent work.

MinotBison
06-04-2012, 02:58 AM
Given the conditions and no one able to seriously push her, the 54.4 by Milbreath in the 400m is an impressive time. Outside the race between her and Roesler in 2010, it is the best time ever by a high school girl in North Dakota, and would be #5 all time at NDSU. (Her 2010 time of 53.31, however, would be a school record at NDSU - think that one might stand a few years at Minot High School?).

When can NDSU sign high school athletes who are juniors this year? I hope they have a scholarship ready and waiting for Milbrath. Having an athlete like that on the team would be great. Who knows what she could run if she has some competition to push her.

Castor Troy
06-05-2012, 05:59 AM
When can NDSU sign high school athletes who are juniors this year? I hope they have a scholarship ready and waiting for Milbrath. Having an athlete like that on the team would be great. Who knows what she could run if she has some competition to push her.

They can have direct contact with the athlete in July of their junior year. However they try to get
You to come to their campus on an unofficial visit because once yoh are on their campus they say
Whatever they want to you.

sambini
06-05-2012, 06:05 AM
Anyone goin to Drake for the NCAAs? I am thinking of going friday and saturday..

Castor Troy
06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
Anyone goin to Drake for the NCAAs? I am thinking of going friday and saturday..

We will be there! Leaving on Wednesday night and will be in Des Moines on Thursday.