PDA

View Full Version : NDSU vs. UND: 2015/2017

Pages : [1] 2

aces1180
05-16-2012, 08:57 PM
As posted in another thread, it's close to being on...

https://twitter.com/#!/tommillergf/status/202860923281608704

If any asshole family member decides to get married or something, I'm skipping.

If UND somehow becomes a DII or NAIA school, however, I hope there is an out clause. I don't want a game with a lower-tiered school impacting our chances for a five-peat.

Bison"FANatic"
05-16-2012, 09:02 PM
So your saying in 5 years that the Sioux will have their first sell out in years.

aces1180
05-16-2012, 09:03 PM
So your saying in 5 years that the Sioux will have their first sell out in years.

Actually, six...I bet they charge $50-$75 per ticket.

bisonaudit
05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
I wonder if it'll be explicitly contingent on the nickname?

bisonaudit
05-16-2012, 09:37 PM
From the Forum:

http://www.inforum.com/event/article/id/361015/

southcliffbison
05-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Would Bison fans be considered "hostile and abusive" if they yelled or chanted "SIOUX SUCK" ......... especially if the moniker has been 86'ed for 3 years?

BisonBear
05-16-2012, 09:44 PM
Not if they are wearing anything with SIOUX on it

MNLonghorn10
05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
awesome. if theyre d1, lets kick their ass. who the hell wouldn't want to see this over say prairie view a&m coming to fargo.

Bison"FANatic"
05-16-2012, 09:48 PM

Oh you know they will gouge us just like they did last time. The interesting thing is that if things stay the way they are now for us and attendance there won't be any or very few tickets to be bought in the dome after students and season ticket holders have their tickets.

Strommer10
05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Would Bison fans be considered "hostile and abusive" if they yelled or chanted "SIOUX SUCK" ......... especially if the moniker has been 86'ed for 3 years? Guarantee they would try to kick the entire student section out. And it would be a lead story in the news that Bison fans are racists.

Hansel
05-16-2012, 09:53 PM
Typical of Faison to leak something before it is finalized

southcliffbison
05-16-2012, 09:54 PM
Not if they are wearing anything with SIOUX on it

Wouldn't it be a hoot if the Dome Nazis asked UND fans to cover-up sweaters and t-shirts that contain what the NCAA considers offensive wording ......... a riot of epic porportions would ensue.

Bison03
05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
I hope this in contingent on that UND is indeed a DI team. It sounds crazy to put that in a contract but with UND's nickname fiasco and the battle with the NCAA/Big Sky, it is a slim possibility that they are not a DI member. We don't need any non-DI teams on our schedule now, even if it is UND.

tcbison
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
I hope this in contingent on that UND is indeed a DI team. It sounds crazy to put that in a contract but with UND's nickname fiasco and the battle with the NCAA/Big Sky, it is a slim possibility that they are not a DI member. We don't need any non-DI teams on our schedule now, even if it is UND.
I thought the same thing.

jacks1
05-16-2012, 10:05 PM
If only Lakes was around to offer input on this thread ;)

Strommer10
05-16-2012, 10:10 PM
The report doesn't say anything about a contract. I would hope that nothing would be solidified until their nickname and status issues are resolved. It would be disappointing to be stuck if something major happened with in the next 3 to 5 years.

ndsubison1
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
i thought we were too scared to play them?

Gully
05-16-2012, 10:12 PM
If this is true I am cancelling my TM membership.

TbonZach
05-16-2012, 10:13 PM
If only Lakes was around to offer input on this thread ;)

Let me be his proxy:

Rawr! WHY are wE even TALING ABOUT THIS?!?!!? SIOUX SUCK! there is NO REASON to play them EVER! WE should NEVER heLP them IN ANY WAY!!!!

SHUT UP PL!!!!!

southcliffbison
05-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Damn good point; UND is STILL considered a transitioning DII to DI school; DI status will not be granted them by the NCAA until sometime this summer (end of June or July); So what happens if they aren't DI ? Voters need to consider this moniker issue when voting June 12th. UND wants that albatross gone .......... let it happen so the Bison can kick their ass/

BisonAccountant44
05-16-2012, 10:14 PM

This. I'm also not happy about it appearing to be a home and home. They need to come here at least twice first.

Bison"FANatic"
05-16-2012, 10:18 PM

But how else could they redirect the conversations away from the shit storm they are going through up there right now. They have to get back to controlling the conversation and their PR as lately it or other people have been controlling them.

Hopefully Gene drags his feet and just says a contract has not been signed until after the name fiasco is done.

ndsubison1
05-16-2012, 10:18 PM
i wanna see our 2013 team play them in the playoffs. that may be our best team ever (not to get too far ahead)

abc123
05-16-2012, 10:21 PM
But how else could they redirect the conversations away from the shit storm they are going through up there right now. They have to get back to controlling the conversation and their PR as lately it or other people have been controlling them.

Or Gene Taylor brought it up on the Bison Media Blog video and someone from the Herald called and asked Faison for a comment on it.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-16-2012, 10:24 PM
I wonder if it'll be explicitly contingent on the nickname?

Why would it be. We had no problem playing them as the Sioux.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-16-2012, 10:25 PM

Hey, give him a break. This is all they have.

No_Skill
05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
...so nickel or no nickel?

344Johnson
05-16-2012, 10:26 PM
This. I'm also not happy about it appearing to be a home and home. They need to come here at least twice first.

This. My dad said NDSU got screwed in the last schedule change during the NCC years (almost how Youngstown gets stuck coming here two years in a row) and since UND got to host the last game, we should get two games first. Oh well, if they are fortunate enough to make the playoffs, I hope the NCAA tells them to come down to Fargo...so maybe we will get two games here first ;)

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Damn good point; UND is STILL considered a transitioning DII to DI school; DI status will not be granted them by the NCAA until sometime this summer (end of June or July); So what happens if they aren't DI ? Voters need to consider this moniker issue when voting June 12th. UND wants that albatross gone .......... let it happen so the Bison can kick their ass/

No. I say vote to keep the nickname so they have to suffer for all of eternity. :)

bisonaudit
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
Why would it be. We had no problem playing them as the Sioux.

Conference obligations which no longer exist plus the environment around the Nickname is even more toxic now than it was then and there's been a complete reboot of the situation. Even if NDSU could have stopped playing them because of the nickname, which NDSU couldn't have, it would have been an active decision to end a century old rivalry. We haven't played them for a decade now and they're still trying to get their sh!t straight on the nickname why would NDSU want to wade back into that when they're not under any obligation to do so.

Also if the administration up there is really committed to ending the nickname why talk about this now? If it's not contingent on the nickname what bigger win could those trying to say that UND can live with the sanctions get?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-16-2012, 10:32 PM
...so nickel or no nickel?

I say nickel. Too bad we haven't played them since '03 so we could have the nickle for the last 9 years.

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-16-2012, 10:34 PM
Conference obligations which no longer exist plus the environment around the Nickname is even more toxic now than it was then and there's been a complete reboot of the situation. Even if NDSU could have stopped playing them because of the nickname, which NDSU couldn't have, it would have been an active decision to end a century old rivalry. We haven't played them for a decade now and they're still trying to get their sh!t straight on the nickname why would NDSU want to wade back into that when they're not under any obligation to do so.

Also if the administration up there is really committed to ending the nickname why talk about this now? If it's not contingent on the nickname what bigger win could those trying to say that UND can live with the sanctions get?

I don't care about the PC crap. Lets just play them already.

imabison
05-16-2012, 10:50 PM
From the Forum:

I am glad Gene stuck to his guns on this one. Every Other year, NDSU will not gain by every year, only they will.

imabison
05-16-2012, 10:52 PM

I think someone else pointed this out also, Gene was asked about it by Izzo, and that was 1 or 2 days
before goofy Faison went public.

HerdBot
05-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Im good as long as we have 6 home games in 2017. That means no FBS team. Im cool with that. Im not cool with 5 home games.

imabison
05-16-2012, 10:56 PM

This ticket will be harder to get than the National Championship tickets were for Frisco, only because
NDSU will get what 500 to sell. Maybe 200? Does anyone know what NDSU gives opponents for
allotment at the Fargodome?

Strommer10
05-16-2012, 11:10 PM
Tickets for both games would be very, very hard for any fan of the road team to get. With stadium expansions for both schools very unlikely, what would be the odds of moving a game to the new Vikings stadium? (Maybe a home and home plus a neutral site game) I know it's a far fetched idea and will probably never happen, but if the rivalry resumes, I think we could get close to 40k attendance if there wasn't a limited capacity. It would be one less home game for each school, but it would make for quite an event. Of course a brand new 40k seat stadium in Fargo would be nice too. :D

HandoEX
05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain. What a perfect way to cap a bad few days. This is disgusting.

Ginsbach
05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
From the Forum:

I love this quote:

“I’ve talked to Brian (Faison). I’ve said, ‘Call me whenever you’re ready to move forward,’ ” Taylor told WDAY. “I think they’ve finally got into a league, finally got a schedule, so I think it’s a matter of sitting down and figuring it out, but their first opportunity is 2015.”

KTF
05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
It sounds like this is being offered by UND. Thus I have to believe that Taylor quietly waits until after the vote to sign.

THEsocalledfan
05-16-2012, 11:18 PM
Anyone know how Lake's is taking this?

344Johnson
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
So how do you think NDSU will handle playing in front of 35,000 raucous UND fans under the retractable roof at Memorial Stadium?

bri-dog
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
Anyone know how Lake's is taking this?

Yes, I do. From facebook. Not well.

westnodak93bison
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Why would we agree to play them at the quonset?

BISONBRI53
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
Love it! Wipe the field with those Ass hats!!

onbison09
05-16-2012, 11:32 PM
We better piss pound them

344Johnson
05-16-2012, 11:33 PM
Do we know how big the away-team ticket allotment is in the Fargodome?

Strommer10
05-16-2012, 11:35 PM
For this game it should be the same amount as we get up there...

roadwarrior
05-16-2012, 11:36 PM

The away team allotment is minimal. It is for players parents and school administration use. Anything over that would have to be spelled out in a contract. When single game tickets go on sale, all seats are available to anyone.

kab1one
05-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Lakes on facebook - pretty mellow actually, he must not care anymore.

Gene Taylor DONT SIGN THAT FOOTBALL CONTRACT....DONT LOWER NDSU's standards of excellence!!!! we sell out every game already!! Stupid!!

No_Skill
05-17-2012, 12:05 AM
We better piss pound them

It will be like bringing a...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Tomakawk.jpg

...to a...

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/p480x480/35500_10150709788533233_311809418232_9588829_20407 39317_n.jpg

...fight!

BisonTeacher
05-17-2012, 12:17 AM
Would Bison fans be considered "hostile and abusive" if they yelled or chanted "SIOUX SUCK" ......... especially if the moniker has been 86'ed for 3 years?

If????? If they chant it? If I am there, I plan on starting it myself. TWSSS!!!!

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 12:22 AM
If????? If they chant it? If I am there, I plan on starting it myself. TWSSS!!!!

I will go over to the student section ( I will be graduated by then I hope) and will teach them.

aces1180
05-17-2012, 12:41 AM
I wish it were 2015, you guys.

NDSU/UND Football game? Power move.

imabison
05-17-2012, 12:54 AM

However Izzo said after speaking to Gene Taylor things are far from being settled. I recall hearing it was close before verbally at every other year, and the FAISON called said every year or not at all, and it was not at all until now.

aces1180
05-17-2012, 12:56 AM
However Ozzie's said after speaking to Gene Taylor things are far from being settled. I recall hearing it was close before verbally at every other year, and the FAISON called said every year or not at all, and it was not at all until now.

Yeah, I saw that...I wouldn't be surprised if Faison pissed Taylor off by leaking this.

stevdock
05-17-2012, 01:08 AM
If we beat them 70-0 Moorhead State style can we have a small buyout clause written in the contract to end it??

aces1180
05-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I think think this game happens, but Faison wanting an every-year game makes me laugh...No way, no how is GT going to sign a deal that makes the Herd go to GF every other year.

Hammersmith
05-17-2012, 01:12 AM
I think GT should sit on this deal for about eight months while letting Faison believe it's good to go. Then maybe he could either drop a hint to a reporter or schedule a news conference announcing our 2015 schedule which happens to not include UND. That would be a totally classy move, right UND fans?

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 01:15 AM
I think GT should sit on this deal for about eight months while letting Faison believe it's good to go. Then maybe he could either drop a hint to a reporter or schedule a news conference announcing our 2015 schedule which happens to not include UND. That would be a totally classy move, right UND fans?

I think that maybe Gene should have another game settled with another school, and then in 2014...we'll say February...he announces that instead of UND we will have a Home-and-Home with Appalachian State.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 01:17 AM
lakes is whining to me on text.

"fuck that demand fbs. fuck those faggots. let them die..all this does is justify their existence. fbs not small town 9 man nd shit!!"

but he's content with prairie view, st. francis, and lafeyettes.

i will never understand people who don't want this game. it's a buzz worthy, out of conference HOME game. ndsu kicks their asses, then in 2 years...we travel up to the cesspool and kick their asses again.

so what, ndsu loses a 6th home game in 6 years. what will the set backs really be?

theres a chance theyll have more national championships by that year..so if losing a home game to central connecticut state is that big of a loss, then yea, maybe all north dakota football is just 9 man

CalBison97
05-17-2012, 01:27 AM
Couldn't agree more.

Everything to lose and absolutely nothing to gain. What a perfect way to cap a bad few days. This is disgusting.

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 01:28 AM
This ticket will be harder to get than the National Championship tickets were for Frisco, only because
NDSU will get what 500 to sell. Maybe 200? Does anyone know what NDSU gives opponents for
allotment at the Fargodome?

Dude, their season tickets are $65. Just buy a set and have a ticket?*

*And sh*twipe from the other 5 games

"fuck that demand fbs. fuck those faggots. let them die..all this does is justify their existence. fbs not small town 9 man nd shit!!"

i will never understand people who don't want this game. it's a buzz worthy, out of conference HOME game. ndsu kicks their asses, then in 2 years...we travel up to the cesspool and kick their asses again.

so what, ndsu loses a 6th home game in 6 years. what will the set backs really be?

theres a chance theyll have more national championships by that year..so if losing a home game to central connecticut state is that big of a loss, then yea, maybe all north dakota football is just 9 man

I absolutely disagree with you here. It is NOT ok to lose a home game. In most years, we get a bonus travel game to an FBS team AND 6 home games...but either way...ready to book our rooms at the CanadInn?

thebigund
05-17-2012, 01:39 AM
So Joe Mollberg will come into the Fargo Loaf and kick some sorry Bison ass with Jordin Sparks in the stands to watch her little brother PJ slash through the defense? Oh that is some sweet kool aid.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 01:41 AM
Do the math and you will find that we come out ahead on a deal like this. Speaking strictly from a financial standpoint that is.

One less home game is a competitive sacrifice

Somebody should kick Lakes in the nuts. I am so sick of that POS dissing ND football.

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 01:47 AM
So Joe Mollberg will come into the Fargo Loaf and kick some sorry Bison ass with Jordin Sparks in the stands to watch her little brother PJ slash through the defense? Oh that is some sweet kool aid.

Mollberg would probably just be in awe watching those Bison quarterbacks he was afraid to compete against hehe

thebigund
05-17-2012, 01:51 AM
Mollberg would probably just be in awe watching those Bison quarterbacks he was afraid to compete against hehe
Fortunately UND knows what to do with really good QBs since they've had more than 4 in the past 30 years.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 01:53 AM
Dude, their season tickets are $65. Just buy a set and have a ticket?*

*And sh*twipe from the other 5 games

I absolutely disagree with you here. It is NOT ok to lose a home game. In most years, we get a bonus travel game to an FBS team AND 6 home games...but either way...ready to book our rooms at the CanadInn?
so you book fbs and play at und. where's the loss?

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 01:57 AM

There isn't. People parrot what sounds good. Keeping 100% of the gate is huge. Plus, opponents are demanding higher guarantees every year

HandoEX
05-17-2012, 02:00 AM
Can someone explain to me why it is beneficial for NDSU to lose ticket/concession revenue and give it to UND? I don't understand how we don't lose in this scenario. Is UND a charity where NDSU will get a tax break for this donation or what?

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 02:02 AM

I want to tailgate 2 miles from home, not a road trip away. Road trips are fun, don't get me wrong, but 1. It's GF 2. It's not at home and 3. More money spent.

HerdBot

Losing a 6th home game is HUGE! 6 years from now will be just as important as next year. 2 easy D1 wins at home mean we only need 5 more wins for Playoff eligibility. Is UND better than St Francis? Duh. But they are not bigger than the playoffs. A road win in Grand Forks will be anything but easy. Lose that game and finish 2nd in the conference and bye bye home field advantage.

thebigund
For old times sake I say Bohl and Mussman should grow mustaches for the game to give it a nice throwback feel ala Hager and Thomas. Or maybe Bohl should give eyebrows a try just for starters.

sambini
05-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Will Mussman still be there in 2015?

Mr. Burgundy
05-17-2012, 02:06 AM
Fortunately UND knows what to do with really good QBs since they've had more than 4 in the past 30 years.

Your signature win during the transition? Actual win, not a moral victory. Tell me what team you went toe to toe against the best.

The two defenses are in different leagues. Did you see the stats that Sam Houston was putting up in the playoffs? They wanted that game to be done. They got abused. UND is a damn screen door. The stats/record back that up. Do something before you talk shit.

My tailgating group is buying a ton of UND season tickets for 2017. Can't wait to have that section empty all season until the Bison roll into town and take over the tailgate and stadium. Mollberg better have earplugs in 2015 in front of our section. it won't be pretty.....similar to his high school stats.

bisonmike2
05-17-2012, 02:11 AM
Can someone explain to me why it is beneficial for NDSU to lose ticket/concession revenue and give it to UND? I don't understand how we don't lose in this scenario. Is UND a charity where NDSU will get a tax break for this donation or what?

Not really addressing your point but I have a theory on the other inequities involving the SBHE and NDSU/UND. You see, like it or not, we UND and NDSU are linked. We're brothers in a way. NDSU is the normal, well adjusted and successful brother and UND is the retarded one. Mom (SBHE) wants UND to be normal. She wants UND to have the same life experiences as the normal sibling but she knows that can never happen. And even though she knows that UND will forever be retarded, she unfairly give UND every opportunity to succeed. UND gets all the breaks so that Mom can feel on some level she's treated them both the same and that they've both had the same chance at a normal life. It's not fair but we need to look at the situation from a higher level and accept it.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 02:12 AM
Your signature win during the transition? Actual win, not a moral victory. Tell me what team you went toe to toe against the best.

The two defenses are in different leagues. Did you see the stats that Sam Houston was putting up in the playoffs? They wanted that game to be done. They got abused. UND is a damn screen door. The stats/record back that up. Do something before you talk shit.

My tailgating group is buying a ton of UND season tickets for 2017. Can't wait to have that section empty all season until the Bison roll into town and take over the tailgate and stadium. Mollberg better have earplugs in 2015 in front of our section. it won't be pretty.....similar to his high school stats.
ooooo sick burn on the kid who played in an option offense in highschool's passing stats. Name your QBs all time who have thrown for more than 2000 yards in a year.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:13 AM
Losing a 6th home game is HUGE! 6 years from now will be just as important as next year. 2 easy D1 wins at home mean we only need 5 more wins for Playoff eligibility. Is UND better than St Francis? Duh. But they are not bigger than the playoffs. A road win in Grand Forks will be anything but easy. Lose that game and finish 2nd in the conference and bye bye home field advantage.
after possibly a championship or 2 until 2017....i don't think it's as HUGE as you think it is, and plus a road win at a much higher ranked team can make up for a hic cup down the road in schedule much more than a home win vs 2-10 st francis does.

but then again, i have faith the bison will beat their asses in grand forks, plus road wins are much, much sweeter in person.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:14 AM
I want to tailgate 2 miles from home, not a road trip away. Road trips are fun, don't get me wrong, but 1. It's GF 2. It's not at home and 3. More money spent.
dude we went to brookings last year.

HerdBot
05-17-2012, 02:16 AM

I dont travel to most FBS games. Its a given I travel to UNI, SDSU, USD, UND, and Minnesota but thats it. Anything else short of a Championship is too far. Yeah maybe Nebraska but I aint gonna get tickets anyway. Maybe Iowa or Iowa State too. I have a large crew and its a challenge fittings them in a vehicle. I wont travel to Montana or Montana State either.

A Bison home game is the best. Best formula. 6 reg season home games + 2 drivable road games. Last year was awesome . But the 3 playoff games topped everything!

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 02:18 AM

I'm making the assumption that season ticket prices don't change for a 5 game home schedule vs 6.

We actually net as much or more money with a home and home format. Three games in two years where we keep 100% of the gate is a better deal for us than four games where we have to pay guarantees on all four. Especially now that teams are demanding 200 k.

We just happen to have a seating capacity right at the tipping point. Montana has more seats so they should resist ever traveling.

Gabe's point about the 6th game for competitive advantage is right on. We take on more risk with any home and home.

4mcruenomore
05-17-2012, 02:21 AM
I happen to like small town 9 man football ND sh*t. I also don't mind playing UND, we just better beat them that's all. Time to prove who has the better program in the state on the field once and for all.

HandoEX
05-17-2012, 02:24 AM
I'm making the assumption that season ticket prices don't change for a 5 game home schedule vs 6.

We actually net as much or more money with a home and home format. Three games in two years where we keep 100% of the gate is a better deal for us than four games where we have to pay guarantees on all four. Especially now that teams are demanding 200 k.

We just happen to have a seating capacity right at the tipping point. Montana has more seats so they should resist ever traveling.

Gabe's point about the 6th game for competitive advantage is right on. We take on more risk with any home and home.
What kind of payout have we had for similar games in the past? I guess I forgot that we pay the same for five or six home games...

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:26 AM

which is why everybody was sweating bullets during the selection show if ndsu's loss to youngstown state would bump them from a top 2 seed...a win @ und does a lot more than 2 wins vs lafayette and st. francis.

if you lose at und, AND have a hic cup vs youngstown...chances are you aren't good enough to win the championship, and hey..thats college football for ya.

BlueBisonRock
05-17-2012, 02:27 AM
I happen to like small town 9 man football ND sh*t. I also don't mind playing UND, we just better beat them that's all. Time to prove who has the better program in the state on the field once and for all.

I am with you on this comment. There are some damn good players that have come out of small town ND and MN (areas I am familiar with). The only problem I have with playing UND is acquiring tickets for some UND buddies (get them there, kick thier tails, and rub it in. Daily. Oh Yeah!!!)

HerdBot
05-17-2012, 02:29 AM
after possibly a championship or 2 until 2017....i don't think it's as HUGE as you think it is, and plus a road win at a much higher ranked team can make up for a hic cup down the road in schedule much more than a home win vs 2-10 st francis does.

but then again, i have faith the bison will beat their asses in grand forks, plus road wins are much, much sweeter in person.

Home win / road win. I want 6 home games and a full day of tailgating with my crew. I would rather have a 6th game at home whether its Saint Francis or Montana. Home games are home games. Were past the respect bit. That started in 2010. Were Champions. Im not into the whole lets play whoever because I think we can win. I'm into winning the National Championship. We dont need to prove ourselves anymore. Transition is over. I look at SDSU/USD/UND as an added bonus road trip. I think 75% of us feel that way.

abc123
05-17-2012, 02:31 AM
Yeah, I saw that...I wouldn't be surprised if Faison pissed Taylor off by leaking this.

You do realize that Taylor's comments on the Bison Media Blog are why Faison was asked about this right?

LITTLEGUYSINGREEN
05-17-2012, 02:31 AM

Are they? I don't think they are.

aces1180
05-17-2012, 02:33 AM
Why does everything think we won't have six home games? The way I see it, UND replaces the FBS game for that year only.

We end up with four MVFC games at home, four on the road, two OOC at the Fargodome and UND on the road.

I know giving up $400K - $500K isn't ideal, but it will all work out. It always does.

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 02:33 AM
dude we went to brookings last year.

Yep, on TOP of 6 home games. That I'm ok with...substituting a home game for an away game? No thanks.

But like I said, I'll be there.

Mr. Burgundy
05-17-2012, 02:35 AM
Will Mussman still be there in 2015?

PLEASE tell me he is!!!!!!

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:36 AM
Home win / road win. I want 6 home games and a full day of tailgating with my crew. I would rather have a 6th game at home whether its Saint Francis or Montana. Home games are home games. Were past the respect bit. That started in 2010. Were Champions. Im not into the whole lets play whoever because I think we can win. I'm into winning the National Championship. We dont need to prove ourselves anymore. Transition is over. I look at SDSU/USD/UND as an added bonus road trip. I think 75% of us feel that way.
i'm sure they do.

i also think signature road wins are more important than 2 cupcake home wins.

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 02:36 AM

Sadly, I think the bigger question is: Will Bohl be here in 2015?

i'm sure they do.

If UND is our "signature" win one year...we're going to need more than 1 win to get us a favor with the selection committee...

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Yep, on TOP of 6 home games. That I'm ok with...substituting a home game for an away game? No thanks.

But like I said, I'll be there.
we'll agree to disagree. and bro...why arent you on messenger

HandoEX
Why does everything think we won't have six home games? The way I see it, UND replaces the FBS game for that year only.

We end up with four MVFC games at home, four on the road, two OOC at the Fargodome and UND on the road.

I know giving up $400K - $500K isn't ideal, but it will all work out. It always does.
Yeah, it's only a half million, and besides we get to help UND! That's super.

aces1180
Sadly, I think the bigger question is: Will Bohl be here in 2015?

If they announce the game, yes! He wants blood from the '03 loss! ;)

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 02:38 AM
What kind of payout have we had for similar games in the past? I guess I forgot that we pay the same for five or six home games...

Season tickets have typically been full price. This year they increased $10 total on the sidelines. That signals to me that the future will be set prices and probably face values that vary by game. That's why I assume no difference from year to year based on home schedule. So, in a five home game season with UND on the schedule, that game would probably have a face value of $50 vs $25 for the other games.

The FCS programs willing to travel for guaranty games are well aware of what we get for our FBS games and they know we are desperate so we become their sugar daddy. That isn't likely to change

With a 200k guaranty, we are paying out over 50% of the gate assuming 15,000 seats at about $25 each. And I think that might be high

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 02:38 AM
If they announce the game, yes! He wants blood from the '03 loss! ;)

Speaking of that loss...seriously look at Inforum's picture for the article :facepalm:

thebigund
05-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Next year is the end of his contract i believe. I wonder if Faison is gonna re up him? He doesn't seem like he wants to but may have his hands tied if Mussman wins.

aces1180
05-17-2012, 02:39 AM
Yeah, it's only a half million, and besides we get to help UND! That's super.

So you are saying that Gene is wrong by scheduling UND? Has he ever led us astray?

aces1180
05-17-2012, 02:40 AM
Speaking of that loss...seriously look at Inforum's picture for the article :facepalm:

Saw that...Typical Fargo Forum BS.

HerdBot
05-17-2012, 02:40 AM

That would be kick ass! The best part is it would be 6 home games and 2 easy road trips. And well probably make up the payday by not having to pay a cupcake 220k.

And the best part is UND is always a kick ass game.

MN_BISON
05-17-2012, 02:41 AM
ooooo sick burn on the kid who played in an option offense in highschool's passing stats. Name your QBs all time who have thrown for more than 2000 yards in a year.

Tell me again all the great QB's at UND that won the Harlon Hill award? I can name two from NDSU................How many QB's from UND scored more TD's than Walter Payton? Well, we're waiting.......

HandoEX
05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
So you are saying that Gene is wrong by scheduling UND? Has he ever led us astray?
Yes, if he schedules UND, he is wrong.

KSBisonFan
05-17-2012, 02:44 AM
Not really addressing your point but I have a theory on the other inequities involving the SBHE and NDSU/UND. You see, like it or not, we UND and NDSU are linked. We're brothers in a way. NDSU is the normal, well adjusted and successful brother and UND is the retarded one. Mom (SBHE) wants UND to be normal. She wants UND to have the same life experiences as the normal sibling but she knows that can never happen. And even though she knows that UND will forever be retarded, she unfairly give UND every opportunity to succeed. UND gets all the breaks so that Mom can feel on some level she's treated them both the same and that they've both had the same chance at a normal life. It's not fair but we need to look at the situation from a higher level and accept it.

Retarded people are offended by your comparison to UND! :)

aces1180
05-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Yes, if he schedules UND, he is wrong.

I so wish I could see you tell him that...

HerdBot
05-17-2012, 02:48 AM
i'm sure they do.

Not trying to derail the thread but Montana gets in every year playing cup cakes and no FBS game. Problem is they suck in the playoffs. Were like Montana in the sense that we have a rockin atmosphere and the home games are an event. Also we have a reputation having won the National Championship. We have better than normal odds of making the playoffs.

Playing in the Missouri Valley means damn near every road game is tough. What is it this year? UNI? Illinois State?

thebigund
05-17-2012, 02:49 AM
Tell me again all the great QB's at UND that won the Harlon Hill award? I can name two from NDSU................How many QB's from UND scored more TD's than Walter Payton? Well, we're waiting.......
I didn't ask about the Harlon Hill trophy I asked about how many 2000 yard passers you have had. I know Bentrim was good at the option and was on great teams and was the man but he never passed for enough yards to be apart of the question. So back to the question I actually asked how many QBs have you had throw for 2000+ in a season?

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 02:51 AM
did you forget what happened to montana in 2010...

and just because youre in, doesnt mean youre a top 2 seed.

ndsu isn't going to have a top 2 seed every year. theres a good chance most years, ndsu will be playing for a spot...but like EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM IN AMERICA, WHETHER ITS TEXAS, ou, ALABAMA, LSU....they will have their down seasons. i don't know if a lot of you are realizing this... what if the team goes 4-7 in 2016 and looks like crap? are you going into 2017 expecting a national championship or just a playoff spot...

and please, don't say youre expecting a national championship because nobody saw ndsu turning around this quick after 2009.

missingnumber7
05-17-2012, 02:52 AM
Fortunately UND knows what to do with really good QBs since they've had more than 4 in the past 30 years.And fortunately NDSU knows how to hoist the championship trophy as we have more than a few times in the past 30 years.

Mr. Burgundy
05-17-2012, 02:54 AM
I didn't ask about the Harlon Hill trophy I asked about how many 2000 yard passers you have had. I know Bentrim was good at the option and was on great teams and was the man but he never passed for enough yards to be apart of the question. So back to the question I actually asked how many QBs have you had throw for 2000+ in a season?

you know what a ton of passing yards gets you? moral victories.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 02:57 AM
And fortunately NDSU knows how to hoist the championship trophy as we have more than a few times in the past 30 years.
Funny how you can't actually reply with a list of great QB's. And by QB I mean a guy that throws the ball not runs the wild Tebow offense.

NDSUstudent
05-17-2012, 02:59 AM
I still think at some point the legislature was going to force the game to happen so Gene is smart to get it done on terms that are best for NDSU.

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 03:02 AM
did you forget what happened to montana in 2010...

and just because youre in, doesnt mean youre a top 2 seed.

ndsu isn't going to have a top 2 seed every year. theres a good chance most years, ndsu will be playing for a spot...but like EVERY SINGLE PROGRAM IN AMERICA, WHETHER ITS TEXAS, ou, ALABAMA, LSU....they will have their down seasons. i don't know if a lot of you are realizing this... what if the team goes 4-7 in 2016 and looks like crap? are you going into 2017 expecting a national championship or just a playoff spot...

and please, don't say youre expecting a national championship because nobody saw ndsu turning around this quick after 2009.

I think we have to realistically expect to be a national title contender every year. Is it going to happen every year? As much as I wish it would, it definitely won't. When Brock's class is gone, that's when things will really tell what the future holds. If they rattle off 2 more before they graduate...that's going to cement the program at the top and they likely won't fall far on down years...barring catastrophic injuries, I think 7-4 is a minimum expectation, to be honest.

Funny how you can't actually reply with a list of great QB's. And by QB I mean a guy that throws the ball not runs the wild Tebow offense.

I know you have a massive hard-on by trollolling right meow, you are greatly missing the point. We have been an option team...therefore why the hell would we have passing QB's? We've only been a pro-style offense, for what, 15 years? Some dark years in there....

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Feel free to correct this if wrong

I assume we sell maybe 15,000 seats after students are allotted. At $25 a seat we gross about $375,000. If we pay a $200,000 guaranty, we keep $175,000.

The year we play UND in Fargo, we keep $375,000 plus $175,000 from the other game. Two years later we only have the single game with a net of $175,000. Total net to us is $725,000. Add another $375,000 if you don't drop season ticket prices in the off year

With no UND game we have 4 home games in 2 years and keep $175,000 times 4 or $700,000.

CalBison97
05-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Ah yes, passing yardage is a far better measure of a successful QB than actually winning. Geezus you really do think backwards up there.

Rockbear99
05-17-2012, 03:11 AM

1999- Ryan Johnson- 2153 yds
2003- Tony Stauss- 2134 yds
2006- Steve Walker- 2220 yds (10-1)
2007- Steve Walker- 2327 yds (10-1)
2008- Nick Mertens- 2008 yds
2011- Brock Jensen- 2524 yds (National Champion)

NOW GO SUCK ON MY LOW HANGING HAIRY BALLSACK

No_Skill
05-17-2012, 03:12 AM

Name your quarterbacks who have a championship ring...

...make that quarterback

4mcruenomore
05-17-2012, 03:13 AM
Speaking of lots of yards thrown, then let's compare Joe Montana to Dan Marino then. Montana actually has some horrible stats, but you know what is important in that comparison? 4 Superbowl rings and 3 Superbowl MVP's. Throwing for a bunch of yards doesn't mean dick if you can't actually win.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 03:14 AM
I think we have to realistically expect to be a national title contender every year. Is it going to happen every year? As much as I wish it would, it definitely won't. When Brock's class is gone, that's when things will really tell what the future holds. If they rattle off 2 more before they graduate...that's going to cement the program at the top and they likely won't fall far on down years...barring catastrophic injuries, I think 7-4 is a minimum expectation, to be honest.

who knows. plenty of championship fbs teams year after year experience hangovers, and from 2007-2008 for ndsu is a fine example, granted they werent eligible, but being ranked #1, and being 10-1 or whatever is nothing to sneeze at either.

Jay
05-17-2012, 03:15 AM

Karl? You gonna drink BL 'Nums or BL Margs tailgating? Maybe cocoa tans?

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 03:15 AM
just so you guys know, texas tech and houston throw for a bajillion yards every year, and the next year, those qb's are in canada, or selling cars.

JSUBison
05-17-2012, 03:18 AM
Ah yes, passing yardage is a far better measure of a successful QB than actually winning. Geezus you really do think backwards up there.

Plus when they play from behind so much, QB's have to chuck the ball everywhere. Biggie Smalls is arguing like MPLSBison.

Tatanka
05-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Ndsustudent is correct... There are significant political pressures on NDSU to help their little brother out here. Sooner or later the asshats in the legislature would force this, thus giving und equal footing at the table. This will get done on gene's timeline on his terms. Faisons only move is to leak info and play the political pressure game.

Odd how the forum can't or won't make a list of the past offers gt put on the table which were rejected by those tools up north. I guess it just doesn't further their agenda.

tony
05-17-2012, 03:24 AM
Plus when they play from behind so much, QB's have to chuck the ball everywhere. Biggie Smalls is arguing like MPLSBison.

Heh, I was thinking the same thing. Grand Forxian IP address though.

NDSU1980
05-17-2012, 03:28 AM
Of all the stupid, idiotic decisions, this ranks right up there. What a bunch of ................................(fill in the blank)

imabison
05-17-2012, 03:34 AM
Ndsustudent is correct... There are significant political pressures on NDSU to help their little brother out here. Sooner or later the asshats in the legislature would force this, thus giving und equal footing at the table. This will get done on gene's timeline on his terms. Faisons only move is to leak info and play the political pressure game.

Odd how the forum can't or won't make a list of the past offers gt put on the table which were rejected by those tools up north. I guess it just doesn't further their agenda.

The legislature found out what the people feel about them telling the schools to play the last times it came up. It was nasty, quit wasting your time on this etc.
Izzo just had more on the game, and Gene Taylor reinterated, that keeping 6 homes games EVERY year is the most important item to him, and that will require the
game to be every other year. Also that once they play 2 years people will want to know the future, that is the open issues for you.

EndZoneQB
05-17-2012, 03:39 AM
who knows. plenty of championship fbs teams year after year experience hangovers, and from 2007-2008 for ndsu is a fine example, granted they werent eligible, but being ranked #1, and being 10-1 or whatever is nothing to sneeze at either.

Those 10-1 teams had 4 NFL players(2 starters) on defense...they lost a lot. A LOT. And recruiting just wasn't there...QB anyone? But I get it, look at UT in '10...but that has been a large exception to the rule...and 8-5 for them this last year would be considered subpar...but realistically that's about as bad as it should get in Austin. Same with Fargo...we should realistically be playoff eligible every year.

Hammersmith
05-17-2012, 04:00 AM
Feel free to correct this if wrong

I assume we sell maybe 15,000 seats after students are allotted. At $25 a seat we gross about $375,000. If we pay a $200,000 guaranty, we keep $175,000.

The year we play UND in Fargo, we keep $375,000 plus $175,000 from the other game. Two years later we only have the single game with a net of $175,000. Total net to us is $725,000. Add another $375,000 if you don't drop season ticket prices in the off year

With no UND game we have 4 home games in 2 years and keep $175,000 times 4 or $700,000.
I'm going to change your numbers just a bit. I'm going to go with $350k for a home game(assuming a near-sellout), $400k for an FBS game($500k - $100k for travel), and I'll stick with the $200k for buying a team like Robert Morris to come to Fargo. We also have to look at this over a four-year span. Here are my (very) rough figures:

Normal year:
OOC #1: $150k
OOC #2: $150k
FBS: $400k
Total: $700k

UND game in Fargo:
UND: $350k
Total: $900k

UND game in GF(5 home games + FBS)
UND: nothing
Total: $550k

UND game in GF(6 home games w/o FBS)
OOC #3: $150k
Total: $300k

Scenario #1: Status quo with no UND
$700k x 4yrs = $2.8M

Scenario #2: UND game + a year with 5 home games
($700k x 2yrs) + ($900k x 1yr) + ($550k x 1yr) = $2.85M

Scenario #3: UND game + a year with no FBS
($700k x 2yrs) + ($900k x 1yr) + ($300k x 1yr) = $2.6M

The numbers are so close that there is no clear winner. Scenario #2 looks the best on the surface, but I didn't factor in travel costs to GF. They're not much, but neither is the money gap. And since the difference between scenarios is so small, any mistake in my assumptions might flip the order. And then there are the intangibles. You've got the UND game, 6 home games, and an FBS game. You have to give up something. Over a four-year span, you either get four 6-home game seasons, four FBS games and no UND games, or you get three 6-home game seasons, four FBS games and two UND games, or you get four 6-home game seasons, three FBS games and two UND games.

There is no win-win situation with the way things are set up. In fact, I almost wish we would give UND the first home game. After 2013, the next 12-game season is set for 2019. With the proposed schedule, the NDSU/UND game for that year will probably end up in Fargo. That helps UND. They will be able to have the Bison game in Fargo, an FBS game, and still have the possibility of six home games. That's probably why Faison is blabbing to the press. This schedule works to his advantage.

SeattleBison
05-17-2012, 04:12 AM
If NDSU was smart, they'd open up all sections for public tickets, double the price... you guys can afford $25/ticket for the "megagame" if I'm paying $50 for a regular Mariners game... Also, force people to go to either the Fargodome or BSA for tickets, that way folks in Fargo can easily get them and the folks up North must go out of their way. I hope they are planning on merchandising the hell out of this game as well... souvenir mini-nickels, team posters, t-shirts, sweatshirts. Start making money off the game, some serious money...

I also hope that Gene Taylor makes it very clear, we don't need them, they need us. At any time, we can schedule whomever the hell we want, especially if the payout is right... I don't know about you guys, but I'd rather see NDSU crush an unsuspecting FBS powerhouse, walk out with the win and the paycheck, than play those up north... Michigan and Appy State anyone?

:)

Oh and remember, those years when we don't do so hot, but just happen to win against a ranked FBS team, helps us more at getting that bid to the tournament... Kansas anyone... that's how we squeaked in the first time we made the playoffs... just keep that in mind as you clamor for playing those up north...

onbison09
05-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Retarded people are offended by your comparison to UND! :)

Can we just not compare people with intellectual disabilities to anything? Come up with something else maybe? :facepalm:

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 04:20 AM

Remember guys, Stats mean everything at UND!!!! Except the win-loss column

AjaxTheMighty
05-17-2012, 04:41 AM

This post is exactly why UND fans NEED to stick to hockey? Pardon the pun. They are hard to talk to because they just aren't worth the hair in an ass-crack when it comes to talking about other sports.

56BISON73
05-17-2012, 04:47 AM
i thought we were too scared to play them?

No we are actually waiting until they can field a competitive team. I figure in another 5 years-------but then again may be not.

56BISON73
05-17-2012, 05:01 AM

Why? Is that some sort of bench mark youve come up with to try and prove a point?

MN_BISON
05-17-2012, 05:01 AM

I realize that greatness and UND football are words that don't really go well together, so I understand why you don't get it but trust me on this one, they were great. Since when is 2000 yards the standard of greatness at the QB position? Did this come from the book of Muss? I'd say greatness is earned on the field and not in a stat book some troll of a fan holds near and dear to his heart because for the better part of 100 years his team hasn't done jack sh!t. Was Tracy Ham great? How about Tommie Frazier, oh yeah, he only won a couple a national championships at NE but he never had 2000 passing yards in a season.

56BISON73
05-17-2012, 05:05 AM

Weve had many great QBs. They didnt have to pass for 2000 yards to win National Championships. Youve cherry picked your question. Time to move on.

DjKyRo
05-17-2012, 06:01 AM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Rc8k_D3yYoE/Tw4IyOKMysI/AAAAAAAAAls/awgasVzJMfA/s1600/Stephen-Colbert-Popcorn.gif

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm going to change your numbers just a bit. I'm going to go with $350k for a home game(assuming a near-sellout), $400k for an FBS game($500k - $100k for travel), and I'll stick with the $200k for buying a team like Robert Morris to come to Fargo. We also have to look at this over a four-year span. Here are my (very) rough figures:

Normal year:
OOC #1: $150k
Total: $700k

UND game in Fargo:
UND: $350k
Total: $900k

UND game in GF(5 home games + FBS)
Total: $550k

UND game in GF(6 home games w/o FBS)
OOC #3: $150k
Total: $300k

Scenario #1: Status quo with no UND
$700k x 4yrs = $2.8M

Scenario #2: UND game + a year with 5 home games
($700k x 2yrs) + ($900k x 1yr) + ($550k x 1yr) = $2.85M

Scenario #3: UND game + a year with no FBS
($700k x 2yrs) + ($900k x 1yr) + ($300k x 1yr) = $2.6M

The numbers are so close that there is no clear winner. Scenario #2 looks the best on the surface, but I didn't factor in travel costs to GF. They're not much, but neither is the money gap. And since the difference between scenarios is so small, any mistake in my assumptions might flip the order. And then there are the intangibles. You've got the UND game, 6 home games, and an FBS game. You have to give up something. Over a four-year span, you either get four 6-home game seasons, four FBS games and no UND games, or you get three 6-home game seasons, four FBS games and two UND games, or you get four 6-home game seasons, three FBS games and two UND games.

There is no win-win situation with the way things are set up. In fact, I almost wish we would give UND the first home game. After 2013, the next 12-game season is set for 2019. With the proposed schedule, the NDSU/UND game for that year will probably end up in Fargo. That helps UND. They will be able to have the Bison game in Fargo, an FBS game, and still have the possibility of six home games. That's probably why Faison is blabbing to the press. This schedule works to his advantage.

Great job of making it clear. Just running numbers in my head told me that the differences were rather small unless you drop the FBS game to assure a 6 home game schedule.

Just to be clear, playing these games is NOT a big hit financially for NDSU. It is a HUGE WINDFALL for UND though.

cbline
05-17-2012, 12:55 PM
I have not had time to read the many pages of messages here, so forgive me if this was noted before. The line in the Forum that caught my eye was "The game stopped when NDSU athletics made the move to Division I." No, the game stopped when TMWTFN had a contract with NDSU in hand and said "Screw you".

Wally
05-17-2012, 01:41 PM
I have not had time to read the many pages of messages here, so forgive me if this was noted before. The line in the Forum that caught my eye was "The game stopped when NDSU athletics made the move to Division I." No, the game stopped when TMWTFN had a contract with NDSU in hand and said "Screw you".

I also like how it is pointed out und will be sending contracts next week. That is their way of saying, 'well it is up to you guys now, we are ready to get this done'. Yeah, you are ready to get it done on your terms and when it is convenient for you. If then the games don't get scheduled, NDSU will be the bad guy once again.

silkamilkamonico
05-17-2012, 01:43 PM
Play UND now. Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

UND is not a serious contender to NDSU right now other than being a rival and anything can happen.

NDSU plays there game they'll manhandle them by 20+.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 01:49 PM
Very few of the players who see the field this season for either team will be around in 2015. Only Freshman and Rfr.

Last year would have been a romp. Bt 2015, I expect a battle (that's if UND is still in the BSC).

HerdBot
05-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Play UND now. Anyone, anytime, anywhere.

UND is not a serious contender to NDSU right now other than being a rival and anything can happen.

NDSU plays there game they'll manhandle them by 20+.

If it were to happen today, yes. In 2017 nobody on the roster will be on the team. 2015 will have 2 good classes. Lots can happen in 4-6 years. We need to continue to recruit well and keep our coaches

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
What a classless fool Faison is. When was the last time they announced a game without a signed contract. This thing still might not happen. Leave it to und to poison the well again.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 02:28 PM
What a classless fool Faison is. When was the last time they announced a game without a signed contract. This thing still might not happen. Leave it to und to poison the well again.

I have to admit as much as I want the game, this is quite strange how this is going down. In my mind, if this was done right, you'd get the contract signed and have a joint press conference with Faison and Taylor. This is a huge deal and it would have been the classy way to do it.

Now, the savages have been incited and somehow this will fall apart. What a mess.

Bison bison
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM
faison probably didn't change his underroos after Taylor said that NDSU has open dates in 2015 and 2017 before calling the press.

Bison"FANatic"
05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
Great job of making it clear. Just running numbers in my head told me that the differences were rather small unless you drop the FBS game to assure a 6 home game schedule.

Just to be clear, playing these games is NOT a big hit financially for NDSU. It is a HUGE WINDFALL for UND though.

With the costs going up tremendously for us to bring in other FCS teams it has now made the scenario of playing UND a break even venture for us. From watching Gene for the last decade it is clear to me that Faison doesn't want to play politics with Gene and take things to the media to try and force NDSU's hand. Gene will give that sly smile and give Faison enough rope to hang himself and look like a fool in the media and the best thing is that the Sioux faithful know this as they hate Gene with about as much hatred as you can for a opposing AD. Heck it wasn't that long ago that they hated their own guy Faison.

cbline
05-17-2012, 02:34 PM
I have to admit as much as I want the game, this is quite strange how this is going down. In my mind, if this was done right, you'd get the contract signed and have a joint press conference with Faison and Taylor. This is a huge deal and it would have been the classy way to do it.

Now, the savages have been incited and somehow this will fall apart. What a mess.

Let's not be hostile and abusive here.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 02:35 PM
Remember guys, Stats mean everything at UND!!!! Except the win-loss column
62-45-3? 10-3 down the stretch? I think you forget that UND was better for a while when the teams were most recently playing, and yes they passed for more yards in alot of those victories. Truth is it all comes down to the 3-4 that UND runs to perfection and NDSU can't handle it.

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM

Exactly spot on. Now Gene knows he can't trust Faison so things could fall apart fast. Too bad, I thought that the culture of arrogance was past with Faison but it seems the longer someone is exposed to the environment up there they turn into assholes.

BisonTeacher
05-17-2012, 02:37 PM
I find it humorous that some people out there seem to think the rivalry is dead. Just look at all the drama already about this and it hasnt even be agreed upon yet. Yep...the rivalry doesnt exist anymore. Whatever! SIOUX SUCK!

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 02:43 PM
I see nothing wrong with the two AD's bluntly speaking their minds. This is a rivalry and it extends far beyond the field. Joint press conference? Nah.

I see no reason why they have to totally agree on the scheduling arrangement. Every other year is best for NDSU right now. UND thinks they would benefit more from a game every year. Different schools, different facilites, different needs.

cbline
05-17-2012, 02:45 PM
62-45-3? 10-3 down the stretch? I think you forget that UND was better for a while when the teams were most recently playing, and yes they passed for more yards in alot of those victories. Truth is it all comes down to the 3-4 that UND runs to perfection and NDSU can't handle it.

Hmmm, reminds me of a D-I team that ran the 3-4 last fall. Let's see. How did that turn out again? Oh, yes. NDSU - 51, Missouri State 21. 37:30 for NDSU time of possession, and 428 total yards.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
I see nothing wrong with the two AD's bluntly speaking their minds. This is a rivalry and it extends far beyond the field. Joint press conference? Nah.

I see no reason why they have to totally agree on the scheduling arrangement. Every other year is best for NDSU right now. UND thinks they would benefit more from a game every year. Different schools, different facilites, different needs.

I think you missed the point. This kind of "cock fighting" in the media is exactly the type of thing that will blow up any agreement. I this is being handled very poorly and nothing should have been said until and agreement was signed. I can get if you think a joint press conference should not be done, but you must admit this is being handled poorly?

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM

The trouble is until a contract is signed nothing should be in the media. PERIOD. You obviously aren't a businessman because you don't negotiate through the media.

DePereBisonFan
05-17-2012, 02:53 PM
First, play the game at NDSU in 2015.
Second, schedule an FBS away game for the date of the UND game in 2017.
Third, don't tell UND we did that. They will find out when we release our finalized schedule.
Fourth, buy out the contract (which is more than paid for from the FBS paycheck we get).

tcbison
05-17-2012, 03:03 PM

I like it. I think there are a lot of people on this board that don't realize how it ended back in 2004. The only thing the media reports is that NDSU stopped the rivalry by moving up to DI.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 03:06 PM
The trouble is until a contract is signed nothing should be in the media. PERIOD. You obviously aren't a businessman because you don't negotiate through the media.

This isn't business. Media in BOTH towns is asking questions and BOTH AD's are answering. I didn't hear a "no comment" from either.

NDSU fans think Faison is a douche and UND fans think the same about Gene. When you get out of Middle School, you might realize that will NEVER change. Now, truck on back to ss.com and convince them that they are wrong about everything. It's been working out so well.

I'm guessing BOTH AD's will get direction from their President along the lines of "figure something out".

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 03:13 PM

Why did you ignore my willy wonka meme a few days ago?

Please..tell us about all of unds d1 wins

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

bisonmike2
05-17-2012, 03:26 PM

Does he really need to go over their "toe to toe" moral victory against Idaho again? That game is forever etched into the greatest moments in North Dakota sports history. And what about the time that they surprised everyone and didn't lose by 100 points to Texas Tech. I could go on and on MNLonghorn but I shouldn't have to educate you and what is one of the finest transition periods from DII to D1 that the world has ever seen. And you call yourself a sports fan? Pathetic.

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 03:32 PM
This isn't business. Media in BOTH towns is asking questions and BOTH AD's are answering. I didn't hear a "no comment" from either.

NDSU fans think Faison is a douche and UND fans think the same about Gene. When you get out of Middle School, you might realize that will NEVER change. Now, truck on back to ss.com and convince them that they are wrong about everything. It's been working out so well.

I'm guessing BOTH AD's will get direction from their President along the lines of "figure something out".
Really sports not a business. Well who knew? Thanks for enlightenment. I wonder why Gene even charges for tickets or why they're fixing up the tailgating area? All I know is when I'm negotiating with someone and they go and run their mouth - negotiations are over. Trust is something that is earned. Someday when you grow up you'll realize that.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 03:37 PM

2006 - Northern Iowa
2007 - Southern Utah
2008 - Idaho State, South Dakota*
2009 - Northwestern State, South Dakota*, Stony Brook, Cal Poly, Central Arkansas
2010 - Northwestern State, Lamar
2011 - Drake, Southern Utah, Northern Colorado, UC Davis, South Dakota*

Hey, you asked :hide: :cheers:

*USD was a transitioning institution, and I believe that while SDSU counted as a D1 win for the Bison during those transitioning years in most minds, the same cannot be said for USD victories for the University of North Dakota.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
Really sports not a business. Well who knew? Thanks for enlightenment. I wonder why Gene even charges for tickets or why they're fixing up the tailgating area? All I know is when I'm negotiating with someone and they go and run their mouth - negotiations are over. Trust is something that is earned. Someday when you grow up you'll realize that.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that Gene is the one who brought it up (maybe in the BMB?) and Faison was asked about it because of Gene's comments. Again, don't know if that's true, but heard that somewhere.

HandoEX
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
KVRR is doing some coverage on this fiasco at 9 tonight and they are doing some fan interviews to get people's thoughts...I threw in my two cents.

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 03:43 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that Gene is the one who brought it up (maybe in the BMB?) and Faison was asked about it because of Gene's comments. Again, don't know if that's true, but heard that somewhere. It's been brought up before this but with Faison saying now it's a done deal and contracts are coming out? Everyone knew they were talking.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 03:46 PM
It's been brought up before this but with Faison saying now it's a done deal and contracts are coming out? Everyone knew they were talking.

Didn't Faison only say it was tentative in the article, but that contracts aren't signed and UND was sending a draft by next week? He wouldn't have said anything if it weren't for someone calling and asking him (which I believe happened because of Taylor's comments that 2015 was the earliest it worked).

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 03:50 PM
Didn't Faison only say it was tentative in the article, but that contracts aren't signed and UND was sending a draft by next week? He wouldn't have said anything if it weren't for someone calling and asking him (which I believe happened because of Taylor's comments that 2015 was the earliest it worked).
Yes but hard to send drafts when the details aren't worked out. All Fiason would have to have said was we're working on 2015 and 2017 dates. Then they could have had some peace to finalize this. Now it's up in the air.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 03:56 PM
Yes but hard to send drafts when the details aren't worked out. All Fiason would have to have said was we're working on 2015 and 2017 dates. Then they could have had some peace to finalize this. Now it's up in the air.

I see your point. But I don't think it's as big of a deal as others. If he had said it's a done deal, I would think there would be bigger issues, but I guess we'll see what happens.

tony
05-17-2012, 04:04 PM

Yeah, based on what I've seen, there is no reason to get ticked at Brian Faison over this. NDSU and UND were going to meet again on the football field.

On the flip side, UND fans have absolutely no reason to be angry with Gene Taylor.

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Yeah, based on what I've seen, there is no reason to get ticked at Brian Faison. NDSU and UND were going to meet again on the football field.
Maybe nothing will come of it, but when the media gets involved who knows.

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 04:32 PM

Tell ya what, 10-3 down the stretch...impressive. How long ago was that? Oh wait. How many yards did one player have against the vaunted UND 3-4 in the Northern Colorado game? Keep telling yourself that a defense that gets blown up by bad teams and Idaho is a good one. I really hope Montana State and EWU bring the pain to these idiots this fall.

Wally
05-17-2012, 04:39 PM
Most recognized logo in the world, millions of fans worldwide, and now the perfect 3-4 defense. Tell me more. Is that the same 3-4 that lost to Sioux Falls? Just wondering, maybe they ran 4-3 that day.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 04:47 PM
Most recognized logo in the world, millions of fans worldwide, and now the perfect 3-4 defense. Tell me more. Is that the same 3-4 that lost to Sioux Falls? Just wondering, maybe they ran 4-3 that day.

Am I the only one who finds it comical any UND fan would try to insinuate they have a more successful football program than NDSU? That may actually be dumber than saying NDSU has a better hockey program.

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Am I the only one who finds it comical any UND fan would try to insinuate they have a more successful football program than NDSU? That may actually be dumber than saying NDSU has a better hockey program.

9>1. vs. 7>0. So we are +8 in football titles, and -7 in hockey titles....finishing at +1 overall. Yes. NDSU has a better hockey program than UND has football.

Bison03
05-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Man, if this thing get scheduled, it's going to be a loooooooong 3 years of trash talking. I have always thought that once UND and NDSU were full DI teams that they should play the game. The game should be played on terms that both teams can agree with, not just one. I trust Gene to do what is right for NDSU football.

KSBisonFan
05-17-2012, 05:06 PM
We should start discussing if the game will be on ESPN3.

BisonNation11
05-17-2012, 05:17 PM
We should start discussing if the game will be on ESPN3.

I heard College Gameday was coming

NDSU92
05-17-2012, 05:24 PM

If UND was better then we'd have a shot

BisonNation11
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
If UND was better then we'd have a shot
Sorry I couldn't get the colored font to work on my phone for sarcasm. It would be pretty cool to get them to come up though.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 05:37 PM

Maybe you're not familiar with the State of North Dakota. We are fanatical about open records and stuff like that. Do you really think this is serious "behind closed doors" negotiations? Especially when BOTH AD's are talking to the media. Do you think either has a hole card that they are waiting to play? There's more politics involved than actual business and I simply pointed that out. This isn't two private businesses negotiating. These are Taxpayer funded, State Owned Institutions. It's different even if you don't think so.

BTW, you have no idea what you are talking about. Neither Gene or Faison have the luxury of walking away from this. Not now.

DjKyRo
05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
That may actually be dumber than saying NDSU has a better hockey program.

Undefeated since 1890 baby!

bisonmike2
05-17-2012, 05:43 PM

I think our inter-mural hockey team was pretty badass back in the early 2000's so that's not much of a stretch.

heffray
05-17-2012, 05:43 PM
If we beat them 70-0 Moorhead State style can we have a small buyout clause written in the contract to end it??

I like this idea. They show up. We show them. They leave. Done. Good riddance.

heffray
05-17-2012, 05:47 PM
I think our inter-mural hockey team was pretty badass back in the early 2000's so that's not much of a stretch.

Last time I was in the Coliseum I think I counted like 7 banners or something like that. Hey, at least we don't paint 'em on our walls.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 05:47 PM
Maybe you're not familiar with the State of North Dakota. We are fanatical about open records and stuff like that. Do you really think this is serious "behind closed doors" negotiations? Especially when BOTH AD's are talking to the media. Do you think either has a hole card that they are waiting to play? There's more politics involved than actual business and I simply pointed that out. This isn't two private businesses negotiating. These are Taxpayer funded, State Owned Institutions. It's different even if you don't think so.

BTW, you have no idea what you are talking about. Neither Gene or Faison have the luxury of walking away from this. Not now.

I agree that political pressure is an issue that I have long predicted would come to bare, but I must be pretty stupid as I can't see how negotiating this through the media is helpful. BisonDan is spot on with that even if he spends more time on ss.com than daveK.

You should not be talking to the media when you are close to inking a deal.

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 05:50 PM
If we beat them 70-0 Moorhead State style

That will never happen. They have way too much crazy speed for NDSU to handle.

BlueBisonRock
05-17-2012, 05:51 PM

And a bunch of 2000 yard QBs riding the pine.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Tell ya what, 10-3 down the stretch...impressive. How long ago was that? Oh wait. How many yards did one player have against the vaunted UND 3-4 in the Northern Colorado game? Keep telling yourself that a defense that gets blown up by bad teams and Idaho is a good one. I really hope Montana State and EWU bring the pain to these idiots this fall.
You'll see what I'm referring to in the playoffs this year (in the Fargo Loaf I hope). And when you lose.............

http://youtu.be/NwrL9MV6jSk

heffray
05-17-2012, 05:53 PM

Well, for starters, their D-line is just so much better than ours...

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
2006 - Northern Iowa
2007 - Southern Utah
2009 - Northwestern State, South Dakota*, Stony Brook, Cal Poly, Central Arkansas

*USD was a transitioning institution, and I believe that while SDSU counted as a D1 win for the Bison during those transitioning years in most minds, the same cannot be said for USD victories for the University of North Dakota.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HNncW9QCzVU/Tix1QMPCvvI/AAAAAAAAAC8/rFN8XpwwRdI/b7vUM.gif

bisonaudit
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
So have any of the nickname defenders pointed at this yet and said "See, scheduling isn't going to be as tough as 'the sky is falling' people want you to believe. We just got the National Champion NDSU Bison scheduled for a home-and-home."

As disciplined as NDSU has been about not saying anything about the nickname issue I can't believe that we're here talking about this now.

BisonNation11
05-17-2012, 05:57 PM
Well, for starters, their D-line is just so much better than ours...

And their backfield makes the Bison backfield look like they are the team transitioning from DII to DI... God I love kool-aid

heffray
So have any of the nickname defenders pointed at this yet and said "See, scheduling isn't going to be as tough as 'the sky is falling' people want you to believe. We just got the National Champion NDSU Bison scheduled for a home-and-home."

As disciplined as NDSU has been about not saying anything about the nickname issue I can't believe that we're here talking about this now.

I could not agree more with this. I am astonished the Herd is doing anything on this front until the whole Nickname issue is resolved. I think it is a bad move. Hopefully one we won't regret. If they get kicked out of the Big Sky and loose their D1 status, there is absolutely NO reason to play them, rivalry in all its glory included...

cbline
You'll see what I'm referring to in the playoffs this year (in the Fargo Loaf I hope). And when you lose.............

http://youtu.be/NwrL9MV6jSk

the sue in the playoffs next year? In the immortal words of Jim Mora: "PLAYOFFS???"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

thebigund
05-17-2012, 06:02 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-HNncW9QCzVU/Tix1QMPCvvI/AAAAAAAAAC8/rFN8XpwwRdI/b7vUM.gif
Ill take that and raise you this

http://youtu.be/P1Vg9PUbP30

Bison"FANatic"
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

I to was surprised, especially after SDSU came out with their statement a few weeks ago.

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

Not sure that is correct. We already are going on the road in 2015 to play Montana in Missoula. With your line of thinking, then this game will also replace an FBS team in order to preserve 6 home games, which then means in two of three years (2015 and 2017) we don't get a big cash payout to play a beatable FBS team. Not sure I like that concept.

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 06:06 PM
Ill take that and raise you this

http://youtu.be/P1Vg9PUbP30
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-01-20/1232448594941.jpg

thebigund
05-17-2012, 06:13 PM
http://img.chan4chan.com/img/2009-01-20/1232448594941.jpg
Pigineous Gage?

aces1180
05-17-2012, 06:15 PM
Not sure that is correct. We already are going on the road in 2015 to play Montana in Missoula. With your line of thinking, then this game will also replace an FBS team in order to preserve 6 home games, which then means in two of three years (2015 and 2017) we don't get a big cash payout to play a beatable FBS team. Not sure I like that concept.

Never thought of 2015 and Montana...Good point.

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 06:23 PM

I can tell you are going to be a pain in the ass until you get an answer, so this is off the top of my head:

Steve Walker in 2006 and 2007.
Nick Mertens in 2008.

Before that, probably Tony Stauss in 2003 or 2004 (probably the former since he was benched in favor of Walker in 08).
Ryan Johnson in 1999 or 2000 under Babich, probably 99 though.

That's as far as my brain cells can take me, but likely no one else.

And despite your pinhead ability to comprehend, I do think it is a relevant point out for you to consider that no Bison QB has passed for 2000 yds during any of the nine (9) national championship seasons of 1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1990, or 2011.

But, this begs the question. How many yards did the nameless QB for the Whioux pass for in the single championship year that no one can remember?

thebigund
05-17-2012, 06:28 PM
I can tell you are going to be a pain in the ass until you get an answer, so this is off the top of my head:

Steve Walker in 2006 and 2007.
Nick Mertens in 2008.

Before that, probably Tony Stauss in 2003 or 2004 (probably the former since he was benched in favor of Walker in 08).
Ryan Johnson in 1999 or 2000 under Babich, probably 99 though.

That's as far as my brain cells can take me, but likely no one else.

And despite your pinhead ability to comprehend, I do think it is a relevant point out for you to consider that no Bison QB has passed for 2000 yds during any of the nine (9) national championship seasons of 1965, 1968, 1969, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1990, or 2011.

But, this begs the question. How many yards did the nameless QB for the Whioux pass for in the single championship year that no one can remember?
You mean Kelby Klosterman? 32TDs 7ints 2967yrds. He was ok.

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 06:30 PM
1999- Ryan Johnson- 2153 yds
2003- Tony Stauss- 2134 yds
2006- Steve Walker- 2220 yds (10-1)
2007- Steve Walker- 2327 yds (10-1)
2008- Nick Mertens- 2008 yds
2011- Brock Jensen- 2524 yds (National Champion)

NOW GO SUCK ON MY LOW HANGING HAIRY BALLSACK

Well, thanks for that. If I had shown patience (and I have none with most Whioux posters on here), I wouldn't have had to think about this so hard, and I forgot about Jensen, so I stand corrected that no NC QB for the Bison has passed for 2000 yds. My sincerest apologies to Brock! (but not to the Whioux fan who keeps walking and talking around here with his nutsack hanging outside his zipper).

DjKyRo
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
It's a good thing 2000-yard passers always win national championships or we'd really be in trouble.

cbline
05-17-2012, 06:34 PM
I guess we have a choice to make: prefer banners for national championships, or prefer banners for 2,000 yard passers. Hmmm, what will I choose?

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 06:40 PM
2006 - Northern Iowa
2007 - Southern Utah

I am pretty sure Central Arkansas should also be asterisked. But, your point is well taken. A very, very impressive list of DI wins, no doubt!

Now, humor me and list the impressive NAIA DI wins. That should also be quite impressive. For the record, I am not interested in the Whioux's impressive wins over NAIA DII or NCAA DII or NCAA DIII during transition.

56BISON73
05-17-2012, 06:43 PM

If it is run to perfection then how is it youve lost so many games in the last 5 years?

thebigund
05-17-2012, 06:47 PM
2 questions:

Anyone notice that in the era of running the non option west coast offense your best seasons have some with well over 2000 passing yards? And am I not mistaken that '99 and '03 were also fairly successful seasons? The Mertens 2008 yards is astounding to me, that would be called a statistical outlier.

Also are you guys going to get a banner that can be seen from the stands without binoculars?

56BISON73
05-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Undefeated since 1890 baby!

I have the t-shirt to prove it!!!!!!:biggrin:

NDSU92
05-17-2012, 06:50 PM
Also are you guys going to get a banner that can be seen from the stands without binoculars?

Ouch burned!!!!

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 06:51 PM
I agree that political pressure is an issue that I have long predicted would come to bare, but I must be pretty stupid as I can't see how negotiating this through the media is helpful. BisonDan is spot on with that even if he spends more time on ss.com than daveK.

You should not be talking to the media when you are close to inking a deal.

Then why are BOTH AD's talking to the media? Who brought it up first? It appears that the first mention of 2015 and 2017 came from Gene.

It actually doesn't appear that anything is being negotiated. It's a simple two game home and home.

I simply pointed out that I see no problem with the way Gene AND Brian have handled the media questions. Dan thinks this is like negotiating a Nuclear Treaty with the USSR. I don't.

Both AD's have staked out what they think is best for their programs. I see nothing wrong with that. Of course there will be people who wonder why there isn't a yearly game. They can blame Gene for that but he's only doing what he thinks is best for NDSU. I think he's a tough enough customer that he can deal with some people being critical (especially the UND fans).

BTW, the schedule being currently reported sure seems to me like Gene is getting everything he asked for. Seems like a WIN for NDSU.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 06:53 PM
If it is run to perfection then how is it youve lost so many games in the last 5 years?
Three years of bad UND teams. Last year was the D put up good numbers even with the secondary playing piss poor. And 5 years ago would be the 2007 team which was a really good team (10-1 reg season) that lost key players in the playoffs(Chappell and Freund), they were in contention for a title. Soooooooooooooo 3 years I'll give you but 5? Please.

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Then why are BOTH AD's talking to the media? Who brought it up first? It appears that the first mention of 2015 and 2017 came from Gene.

It actually doesn't appear that anything is being negotiated. It's a simple two game home and home.

I simply pointed out that I see no problem with the way Gene AND Brian have handled the media questions. Dan thinks this is like negotiating a Nuclear Treaty with the USSR. I don't.

Both AD's have staked out what they think is best for their programs. I see nothing wrong with that. Of course there will be people who wonder why there isn't a yearly game. They can blame Gene for that but he's only doing what he thinks is best for NDSU. I think he's a tough enough customer that he can deal with some people being critical (especially the UND fans).

BTW, the schedule being currently reported sure seems to me like Gene is getting everything he asked for. Seems like a WIN for NDSU.

I have not seen any deal inked. Did I miss something? No arguing I don't have any problem talking to the media about the issue in general, but is extremely strange to do it during final negotiations. That makes no sense to me and I would never negotiate that way, but it appears Faison wants this in the media for some reason.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 06:55 PM

He may be a troll but this is a very good question. You really have to know where to look and you absolutely need binoculars.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 06:57 PM
I am pretty sure Central Arkansas should also be asterisked. But, your point is well taken. A very, very impressive list of DI wins, no doubt!

Now, humor me and list the impressive NAIA DI wins. That should also be quite impressive. For the record, I am not interested in the Whioux's impressive wins over NAIA DII or NCAA DII or NCAA DIII during transition.

Did I need purple?

THEsocalledfan
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
Have any other quality players like Chappell? That was a guy to be proud of, no doubt!

KSBisonFan
05-17-2012, 06:58 PM
My head hurts.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
I have not seen any deal inked. Did I miss something? No arguing I don't have any problem talking to the media about the issue in general, but is extremely strange to do it during final negotiations. That makes no sense to me and I would never negotiate that way, but it appears Faison wants this in the media for some reason.

I'm baffled as to why you put all this on Faison. I think it broke on the Bison Media Blog on Monday. I understand that there isn't much media coverage in South Dakota for their Universities. In Fargo and Grand Forks, the Universites are in the news daily. News of football games between the two is top shelf stuff. Even if it is not final.

There really isn't that much to negotiate. The open dates in 2015 and 2017 are confirmed. Other than that, it should be a standard home and home contract. Gene is correct in pointing out that nothing is official yet. I'm wondering if this won't finally be settled until after June 12 sometime?

silkamilkamonico
05-17-2012, 07:04 PM
Three years of bad UND teams. Last year was the D put up good numbers even with the secondary playing piss poor. And 5 years ago would be the 2007 team which was a really good team (10-1 reg season) that lost key players in the playoffs(Chappell and Freund), they were in contention for a title. Soooooooooooooo 3 years I'll give you but 5? Please.

Let's call it exactly how it is, and say Division 1 is a lot harder than UND thought.

Hambone
05-17-2012, 07:05 PM

Again, I believe that Taylor is the one that got it out in the media (not the status of negotiations, but that 2015 was the first year that things matched up) and Faison was responding to questions because of that quote (which I think was a tweet by Izzo). So while Faison could have answered the question differently, it's not like he went to the media wanting to get this info out, he was responding to questions.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Have any other quality players like Chappell? That was a guy to be proud of, no doubt!
I've seen some NFL games and alot of college games and have never seen a player that runs as smooth and easy as him. No. I doubt UND will be able to find another Chappell (that cares enough to keep himself academically eligible) in the next 25 years. He had NFL written all over him.... too bad he didn't want it

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 07:19 PM

They have went to some small schools rivalry games. I could see them at least considering checking out one of the older rivalries, not to mention it will be in the fargodome.

Giving up 45 to Idaho is playing good? Giving up 37 points to South Dakota is good? Giving up 25 to a Northern Colorado squad that didn't win a single game? Congrats of having a stellar defense. I bet this year UND will give up on average 12.5 points a game.

2007? So you are referring to a D-II that is in the Watered Down Era? Irrelevant. Perhaps they were good for D-II, but D-II was a shell of its former self by that time.

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 07:22 PM

In ND you cannot have a committee meeting that is not open to the public. A private meeting between two ADs does not constitute a committee meeting. Minutes and any documents from any meeting are subject to open records law. However, if no minutes are kept, then there is nothing searchable by open records. So, you are a bit off on what you think you understand about ND law in this regard.

CaBisonFan
05-17-2012, 07:26 PM
I've seen some NFL games and alot of college games and have never seen a player that runs as smooth and easy as him. No. I doubt UND will be able to find another Chappell (that cares enough to keep himself academically eligible) in the next 25 years. He had NFL written all over him.... too bad he didn't want it

In the history of the NFL & NCAA Football you've never seen a player run as smooth as Chappell. Amazing

BisonNeil
05-17-2012, 07:27 PM
Last year was the D put up good numbers even with the secondary playing piss poor.

Well, yeah, against three NAIA teams and a winless DI team. Color me impressed.

344Johnson
05-17-2012, 07:33 PM
In the history of the NFL & NCAA Football you've never seen a player run as smooth as Chappell. Amazing

I take it you haven't ever watched Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, or anyone like that? Jake Miller?

aces1180
05-17-2012, 07:35 PM
I take it you haven't ever watched Barry Sanders, Adrian Peterson, or anyone like that? Jake Miller?

I heard SHSU's Flanders is a Barry Sanders clone...

TAILG8R
05-17-2012, 07:35 PM

Apparently some means none. Walter Payton?

MNLonghorn10
05-17-2012, 07:49 PM
2 questions:

Anyone notice that in the era of running the non option west coast offense your best seasons have some with well over 2000 passing yards? And am I not mistaken that '99 and '03 were also fairly successful seasons? The Mertens 2008 yards is astounding to me, that would be called a statistical outlier.

One things for sure, when you have so many years to honor, you have to cram.

Dont know if thered be enough ceiling space if it was 1 banner per championship..what do you think?

Bison06
05-17-2012, 07:57 PM

I have seen this play out in so many scenarios and this is yet another example of remembering a guy for more than what he was because his career was cut short.

See, when a guy actually plays out his career, his statistics and accomplishments are forced to stand on their own. When a guy, for any reason, doesn't finish his career fully people are able to project their own memories and feelings on what might have been accomplished throughout the rest of his career.

Barry Sanders, Bo Jackson, Michael Jordan, Ken Griffey Jr., Len Bias.

These players were all amazing, all-time talents, but their careers were cut short or limited in some way. People are constantly saying well Barry would be the rushing leader if he played out his career, Jordan would have had 10 or more rings if he didn't retire, Griffey would be the HR leader. Who knows if they would or wouldn't have?

The fact is they didn't and Chappell didn't either. It is way too easy to remember people for more than they were when their stats aren't able to speak for them. Chappell was special, NFL special? No way.

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 08:00 PM
In ND you cannot have a committee meeting that is not open to the public. A private meeting between two ADs does not constitute a committee meeting. Minutes and any documents from any meeting are subject to open records law. However, if no minutes are kept, then there is nothing searchable by open records. So, you are a bit off on what you think you understand about ND law in this regard.

Maybe I should have been more clear. People want to know what is going on with the biggest sports rivalry in the State.

You can blather all you want about no searchable records etc. This is bigger than two AD's talking about open dates. Once the questions get asked, plenty of ears get tuned in. In case you haven't checked lately, NDSU has a real mixture of friends and enemies in Bismarck. Some of the enemies are just waiting for a reason to stick a knife in anything that comes up. You pick your battles. We will be asking for permission on some important projects in the near future.

There's plenty of reasons why Gene can't walk away from this and neither can Faison. They WILL work something out.

tony
05-17-2012, 08:01 PM
Did I need purple?

I wouldn't think so. I thought that you were answering the question: "What were UND's DI wins?" rather than "What were UND's impressive DI wins?" (the last one is more a philosophical question, like "what is the sound of a one-handed golf clap?" :) )

For some reason, I thought UND went 21-20 against DI competition during the transition (2007-2011) but it looks like it was 15 wins to 19 losses. Weird. Not sure how I got that wrong.

Edit: Ahhh. 21-20 against all competition, including 7 non-DI teams. 21-10 overall. 15-14 vs FCS. 0-4 vs FBS. 0-1 vs BCS.

bisonbuddy
05-17-2012, 08:04 PM

He was also smooth and easy as a stand-up comedienne until he wents nuts.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 08:06 PM
They have went to some small schools rivalry games. I could see them at least considering checking out one of the older rivalries, not to mention it will be in the fargodome.

Giving up 45 to Idaho is playing good? Giving up 37 points to South Dakota is good? Giving up 25 to a Northern Colorado squad that didn't win a single game? Congrats of having a stellar defense. I bet this year UND will give up on average 12.5 points a game.

2007? So you are referring to a D-II that is in the Watered Down Era? Irrelevant. Perhaps they were good for D-II, but D-II was a shell of its former self by that time.
I'm referring to a team that went into Southern Utah and spanked them. Or was the FCS watered down too?

BisonPride72
05-17-2012, 08:07 PM
I have the t-shirt to prove it!!!!!!:biggrin:

Available at the NDSU Bookstore

http://www.ndsubookstore.com/MerchDetail.aspx?MerchID=804559&num=1&start=1&end=50&type=1&CategoryName=Tees& Tops&CatID=1327&Name=Tees & Tops

thebigund
05-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm talking about live games. I've seen Moss and Vick live and many other all time great athletes and Chappell shared that special gear with them.

BlueBisonRock
05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
I'm talking about live games. I've seen Moss and Vick live and many other all time great athletes and Chappell shared that special gear with them.

Ewwww. Wouldn't that chaffe?

thebigund
05-17-2012, 08:09 PM
Anyone who has seen Sanders and Peterson knows they weren't smooth. Barry was quicker than fast and Peterson is the opposite of smooth. And yes i would put Chappell's speed on par with Peterson and they are both faster than Sanders.

thebigund
05-17-2012, 08:11 PM
Apparently some means none. Walter Payton?
Please don't insult yourself by insinuating that Walter Payton was fast. He wasn't the fastest, the strongest, the biggest, but he had amazing vision and toughness and thats why people consider him to be so great. He didn't had the tangible tools, he had everything else.

Bison Dan
05-17-2012, 08:12 PM
AD's tell reporters all the time that they're working on a game with so and so, but they don't announce any specifics until it's signed and sealed. We all heard about playing MN earlier than the announcement. Everyone knew Gene was working on the UND game but when was the last time you heard about a proposed scheduled game for NDSU in the paper that wasn't signed? I don't every remember one. One AD is sending out contracts and the other saying there's lots to finalize yet.

tony
05-17-2012, 08:15 PM
Anyone who has seen Sanders and Peterson knows they weren't smooth. Barry was quicker than fast and Peterson is the opposite of smooth. And yes i would put Chappell's speed on par with Peterson and they are both faster than Sanders.

OK, I feel compelled to ask: Do you post over on AGS as MplsBison?

Bison06
05-17-2012, 08:18 PM
We aren't really comparing a guy who played 2 years at a division II school to 2 of the best running backs of all time are we? Are we?

ndbj52
05-17-2012, 08:19 PM
I thought we were playing an FBS school like Oklahoma or FSU

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 08:22 PM
AD's tell reporters all the time that they're working on a game with so and so, but they don't announce any specifics until it's signed and sealed. We all heard about playing MN earlier than the announcement. Everyone knew Gene was working on the UND game but when was the last time you heard about a proposed scheduled game for NDSU in the paper that wasn't signed? I don't every remember one. One AD is sending out contracts and the other saying there's lots to finalize yet.

Izzo tweeted on Monday that Gene had told him that 2015 and 2017 had open dates.

Bold - Really? Everyone knew Gene was working on this? How would anybody know that? I thought this stuff was kept quiet? It's a puzzle I tell you.

What specifics have been announced? That the first game will be in Fargo? Duh. The dates in 2015 and 2017? That's hard to figure out when you put the schedules side by side.

Herd80

Same sort of persistence, eh? Just like a pit bull that won't let go, and the same IQ to boot

thebigund
What do Mpls and AGS stand for?

TAILG8R
05-17-2012, 08:23 PM
Please don't insult yourself by insinuating that Walter Payton was fast. He wasn't the fastest, the strongest, the biggest, but he had amazing vision and toughness and thats why people consider him to be so great. He didn't had the tangible tools, he had everything else.

Please don't insult yourself by being so stupid as to not remember what you typed minutes ago.

You do know that they called Walter Payton 'Sweetness' right? Why do you suppose that is?

NorthernBison
05-17-2012, 08:24 PM
We aren't really comparing a guy who played 2 years at a division II school to 2 of the best running backs of all time are we? Are we?

It sounds like they are.

For the record, Chappell was very talented. I believe he was just invited to a tryout at a NFL minicamp. Maybe it's best to leave it at that.

HandoEX
05-17-2012, 08:28 PM
Gene Taylor is going to be on KFGO with McFeely in 5 minutes.