PDA

View Full Version : Roesler article in Fargo Forum

Buffalo.Rider
05-07-2012, 04:58 PM
Nice to see some Forum coverage on Laura Roesler yesterday, May 6. I hope she has a great career at Oregon and beyond.
I still wonder how she would be doing at NDSU - with its excellent core of 800m runners (almost on par with Oregon), hometown support, and NDSU's solid history of developing its track and field athletes.

The Forum article, however, has a mistake. It said, "Roesler has one of the top 25 times in Division I in the 800 this outdoor season at 2:05.83. She clocked a career-best 2:03.08 as a freshman." This latter assertion is not true. Roesler ran 2:03.12 last year. She ran her 2:03.08 at the Jim Bush Invitational on June 3 or so when she was a sophomore at Fargo South. It remains her best open 800m time.

I might add that Roesler had a great 400m relay split last year at the NCAA nationals - I believe it was a 51.45 (or possibly 51.65) - which is a significant improvement over her 53.25 against Milbraith at the 2010 State Meet, but beyond that, her Fargo South times in the 100m, 200m, 400m, and 800m remain her lifetime bests.

I hope she has a breakthrough performance or two during the championship season in the NCAAs.

SDbison
05-08-2012, 03:05 AM
This post belongs in news about ither schools..........she is not part of ndsu track.

Buffalo.Rider
05-08-2012, 03:51 AM
I suppose technically that is true. She is a North Dakota (and Fargo) athlete, however. A lot of people are interested in how she is doing, including us NDSU followers.

tony
05-08-2012, 02:41 PM
I might add that Roesler had a great 400m relay split last year at the NCAA nationals - I believe it was a 51.45 (or possibly 51.65) - which is a significant improvement over her 53.25 against Milbraith at the 2010 State Meet, but beyond that, her Fargo South times in the 100m, 200m, 400m, and 800m remain her lifetime bests.

Wow, that is flying! Actually, 53.25 is flying too.

IzzyFlexion
05-09-2012, 01:31 PM
Wow, that is flying! Actually, 53.25 is flying too.

Tough to use relay splits as a benchmark for an athlete's ability to cover a distance. Too many variables. No way that her 51.45 split is representative of her in the open quarter. But, all that said, it is a teriffic split.

Buffalo.Rider
05-09-2012, 09:13 PM
her split was a 51.45

Here is the link:
http://www.ncaa.com/content/di-outdoor-track-field-live-results

When the webpage comes up, go to the final day (June 11), and click on Results for 1600m relay, women.

Castor Troy
05-09-2012, 11:51 PM
I was there and the scariest part of it was that she just maintained her position. There was a fellow freshman that was actually a better quarter miler than her. I am waiting for Laura to pop one.

her split was a 51.45

Here is the link:

When the webpage comes up, go to the final day (June 11), and click on Results for 1600m relay, women.

IzzyFlexion
05-10-2012, 03:59 AM
her split was a 51.45

Here is the link:

WOW! How about Texas A & M senior Jessica Beard's meet record split of 49.14!
She also took the title in the open 400m at 51.10.

Buffalo.Rider
05-10-2012, 04:37 AM
I was there ...
I'm jealous.

A friend of mine saw it on TV ... Texas A&M was in 3rd place when Jessica got the baton for the final leg. He said she ran an amazing leg, catching and then passing two other great 400m performances.

Notorious
05-10-2012, 05:07 AM
Nothing beats track...especially the 4x400 !!!!

Sent from my iPhone.

tony
05-10-2012, 05:50 PM

a. Wow
b. Doesn't seem like 4x400 splits should be that far off. Makes me wonder if starting from the blocks in the open 400 is all that great of an idea.

Buffalo.Rider
05-10-2012, 10:01 PM
I think the difference in time can be attributed to having a running start. Except for the first leg of the 4 x 400m, the athletes have a running start. In the Beijing Olympics, Jeremy Wariner ran a 43.18 split in the 4 x 400m, when he had an off year, and that time was a few tenths better than his personal best.

IzzyFlexion
05-11-2012, 12:50 AM
I think the difference in time can be attributed to having a running start. Except for the first leg of the 4 x 400m, the athletes have a running start. In the Beijing Olympics, Jeremy Wariner ran a 43.18 split in the 4 x 400m, when he had an off year, and that time was a few tenths better than his personal best.

Also, the segment of the exchange zone where the forthcoming runner accepts the baton influences the split.

tony
05-11-2012, 01:10 AM
Also, the segment of the exchange zone where the forthcoming runner accepts the baton influences the split.

As a spectator, I start/stop at the line that marks the beginning of the exchange zone.

If coaches time the split from when the runner grabs the baton to when they hand it off, yeah, that would seem pretty worthless (and it'd make for some pretty spectacular anchor splits.) I've got no idea how coaches time splits.

Castor Troy
05-11-2012, 03:09 AM
As a spectator, I start/stop at the line that marks the beginning of the exchange zone.

If coaches time the split from when the runner grabs the baton to when they hand it off, yeah, that would seem pretty worthless (and it'd make for some pretty spectacular anchor splits.) I've got no idea how coaches time splits.

The first runner stays in their lane so you stop their split at the end of the exchange zone. The rest of the legs
cut in at the start/finish line and that is when the split stops for that runner even if they don't have
the baton. This will give you the most accurate split.

tony
05-14-2012, 07:06 PM
Roesler = Pac 10 Champion in the 800m (about a 2:05) If you're not impressed, remember that the 800 is a very strategic, technical race.

SamsRams
05-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Roesler = Pac 10 Champion in the 800m (about a 2:05) If you're not impressed, remember that the 800 is a very strategic, technical race.

Very very impressive. She qualified for nationals right??

JackJD
05-15-2012, 05:16 AM
The first runner stays in their lane so you stop their split at the end of the exchange zone. The rest of the legs
cut in at the start/finish line and that is when the split stops for that runner even if they don't have
the baton. This will give you the most accurate split.

I don't agree with the first part. I believe you take the split at the mid-point of the exchange zone. If the race is a 4 x 400, the mid-point of the first exchange zone should be 400 meters from where the first runner started. (I think I may have an NCAA book laying around somewhere that discusses track dimensions including markings on tracks showing exchange zones etc...will try to find that.) I agree with Castor Troy's comments on the rest of the legs: it's the start/finish line (assuming the race is a 4 x 400) because that's the mid-point of the exchange zone. Same concept applies in other relays: mid-point of the exchange zone. You're trying to time the distance the baton has traveled and making it as close to the actual distance each runner is assigned to run in the relay.

Good relay teams take advantage of each runner's strengths/weaknesses. If one runner is a strong finisher, they may consider his handoff taking place later in the zone. If the incoming runner tends to be running out of gas, may be better to have him hand off early in the zone. There are other considerations: if the runner is a great starter, that can influence where he wants to take the handoff. Strong finisher and a quick starter may work well to have the handoff late in the exchange zone.

The split is most accurate at the mid-point of the exchange irrespective of which runner is carrying the baton at that point.

Baylor usually shows how to do it in the 4 x 400 as they routinely flirt with 3-flat most seasons.

It is funny to watch a lot of parents -- and some coaches -- screwing up splits by taking the split at the handoff which may or may not be accurate. They may be timing a runner who runs only 395 meters vs one who runs 405 meters.

semobison
05-29-2012, 02:37 PM
I don't agree with the first part. I believe you take the split at the mid-point of the exchange zone. If the race is a 4 x 400, the mid-point of the first exchange zone should be 400 meters from where the first runner started. (I think I may have an NCAA book laying around somewhere that discusses track dimensions including markings on tracks showing exchange zones etc...will try to find that.) I agree with Castor Troy's comments on the rest of the legs: it's the start/finish line (assuming the race is a 4 x 400) because that's the mid-point of the exchange zone. Same concept applies in other relays: mid-point of the exchange zone. You're trying to time the distance the baton has traveled and making it as close to the actual distance each runner is assigned to run in the relay.

Good relay teams take advantage of each runner's strengths/weaknesses. If one runner is a strong finisher, they may consider his handoff taking place later in the zone. If the incoming runner tends to be running out of gas, may be better to have him hand off early in the zone. There are other considerations: if the runner is a great starter, that can influence where he wants to take the handoff. Strong finisher and a quick starter may work well to have the handoff late in the exchange zone.

The split is most accurate at the mid-point of the exchange irrespective of which runner is carrying the baton at that point.

Baylor usually shows how to do it in the 4 x 400 as they routinely flirt with 3-flat most seasons.

It is funny to watch a lot of parents -- and some coaches -- screwing up splits by taking the split at the handoff which may or may not be accurate. They may be timing a runner who runs only 395 meters vs one who runs 405 meters.

Some very good points, but the spot to take splits is at the one turn stagger mark in the exchange zone for the lead runner (the starting line for the 800, 1500 etc...) because the 2nd runner is running a one turn stagger, then the finish line for runners 2,3 and your anchor. Most coaches understand that your lead runners split is going to be a little slower because he doesnt have a running start!

semobison
03-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Laura Roesler helps the Oregon women to the 2013 NCAA indoor national title with a 2nd place finish in the 800! Her time 2:02.32 was a new Oregon school record. She also ran a 52.6 split in the Ducks 4x400 national champion relay team! Nice meet for Laura!

SDbison
03-10-2013, 04:20 PM
Does this entire thread belong in news about other schools? This topic area is supposed to be about NDSU Track and Field.

HandoEX
03-10-2013, 05:14 PM
Why the hell do you care, SD? Can't sort through all the Bisonville Track & Field posts? Jesus, the owner of this site has posted in this thread, obviously seeing you bitch about it, and doesn't care. Quit posting your off topic bullshit. It's off topic.

I flagged your posts as off topic to the Moderators. May God have mercy on your soul.

tony
03-10-2013, 05:23 PM
Does this entire thread belong in news about other schools? This topic area is supposed to be about NDSU Track and Field.

SDBison, you have six posts in this forum. Three were complaints about people talking about track that isn't directly-related to NDSU. One was a complaint about NBC's liberal bias. 2009 was the last time you posted something related to NDSU track since then every one of your posts has been off-topic. Ironic, isn't it?

That said, you have a point but, crap, are we so insecure that we can't have threads like this that, I believe, are of genuine interest to fans of track and field? NDSU is turning into an 800m powerhouse, after all, and Laura's 800 times are insanely good

sambini
03-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Laura had a great NCAA National indoor meet. A friend of ours was there. He said she had a 52.6 split in the 4 by 400 relay. Which the Ducks won. And she finishs 2nd in the 800 and helps her team win the national title. Awesome job..

roper1313
03-11-2013, 04:23 PM
Looks like she had 45 min to go from the 800 final to the 4x400, ouch!! That 4x400 team has a good chance to win 3 straight outdoor titles.

Buffalo.Rider
03-13-2013, 12:39 AM
An addition to what has already been said:

Yes Roesler ran a great indoor time in the 800m in getting 2nd at the NCAA Indoor national meet and setting a new Oregon Ducks Indoor record in teh 800m.

BUT she also, with her teamates, got a school record in the 4 x 400m when they won the event at the NCAA Indoor national meet. I believe it was by a pretty good margin, a couple of seconds.

According to the Ducks news feed, this was the only first place finish by a woman Duck event at the 2013 national meet.

Personally, I think Roesler has not yet reached her potential, that she is ready physically to run several seconds faster, but is not yet there mentally ... either does not yet believe she can, or is afraid of success (and all the publicity and the pressure that it brings). This is not a dig on her, it is instead an assertion of my belief in her ability. NDSU does a great job of making its athletes believe in themselves, or be sufficiently defiant that they don't care what the h others have done, and in this way gets the most out of their athletes (many of them). One of these days Roesler (I believe) will have a great defining race and time at the college level. Her 2:03.08 800m in HS was a defining performance. She has not had one yet at Oregon, in my opinion ... whatever it is worth.

Buffalo.Rider
03-13-2013, 12:52 AM
Why the hell do you care, SD? Can't sort through all the Bisonville Track & Field posts? Jesus, the owner of this site has posted in this thread, obviously seeing you bitch about it, and doesn't care. Quit posting your off topic bullshit. It's off topic.

I flagged your posts as off topic to the Moderators. May God have mercy on your soul.

I agree with you.

I am a supporter of NDSU Track and Field, I am also a supporter of and interested in North Dakota track athletes that have decided to not go to NDSU. Often bisonville.com is the best source of news for those folks as it is like digging for precious stones to find news about them elsewhere - which is time consuming. For example, I might note, www.inforum.com did not say anything about Roesler's performances at the 2013 Indoor NCAA meet - that I could find.

ON that note, if anyone is interested, Cory Ihmels at Iowa State has done a terrific job of enhancing their cross country and their track and field programs. They are getting all-time best finishes in Big Ten meets.

Buffalo.Rider
04-14-2013, 11:30 PM
As of today, 4/13/13, Roesler has the #1 time in the USA in the women's 800m. (See www.usatf.org)
Her 2:02 and change at the NCAA. She was not the 800m champ, so her time must have been in a prelim.
Sure would be nice to see this Fargo South athlete have a breakout year, outdoor season. She's off to a good start.

semobison
04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
As of today, 4/13/13, Roesler has the #1 time in the USA in the women's 800m. (See www.usatf.org)
Her 2:02 and change at the NCAA. She was not the 800m champ, so her time must have been in a prelim.
Sure would be nice to see this Fargo South athlete have a breakout year, outdoor season. She's off to a good start.

Her 2:02.3 in the finals is the fastest 800 by an American athlete this season. She was beaten by a foreign college athlete in the finals.

Bison bison
04-16-2013, 08:57 PM
damn student visas!

Castor Troy
04-17-2013, 08:00 PM
I believe that this is the year that Laura breaks 2:00. I will still stick with my prediction that she will run 1:56 and some change in her career. If I am right, this should put her at least in the finals of the Olympics some day.

westnodak93bison
04-19-2013, 01:50 AM
I don't doubt she can run in the 1:56+ range. On a side note, ever look at the world record holder? Jarmila looks more like a lumber jack from OR that a gal. Yuck.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Jelo
04-21-2013, 12:01 AM
She ran a 2:01.75 to win at the Mt Sac relays

https://twitter.com/flotrack/status/325693325799718912
@Flotrack: #MtSacRelays Very close race in the W 800m H01 Invite. Roesler wins with a U.S. leading 2:01.75

Results link:
http://www.mtsacrelays.com/results13.html

Buffalo.Rider
04-21-2013, 03:14 AM
Wonderful. Great to see Roesler win over a tough field with 7 ex-Olympians in it, and tough out the close race. For a long time she has been taking second. Looks like the mental toughness is coming (finally). Only other collegian was from Utah who finished last. The others were either corporate sponsored athletes, or athletes sponsored by their countries.
I watched the flotrack video that Jelo mentioned. Roesler looked like she did when she ran the 2:03 as a sophomore in high school ... like there was a lot of gas left in the tank. Made it look fluid and easy.

As some speculation: Paige Stratioti (sophomore, NDSU) is quickly improving in the 800m. I would not be surprised if Stratioti ends up pushing Roesler sometime next year. If I am correct, Stratioti (2:07) has better times than did Hermanson and Schmultz when they were sophomores, and those two ran 2:01s by the time they finished at NDSU.

westnodak93bison
04-24-2013, 03:11 AM
Leading the country. Is this a first for a ND native?

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/special-articles/1458

IzzyFlexion
04-24-2013, 12:02 PM
Leading the country. Is this a first for a ND native?

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/special-articles/1458

Might be....but it's still not the fastest 800m time for a North Dakota female: (Christine Schmaltz: 2:01.17 in 2011)

westnodak93bison
04-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Might be....but it's still not the fastest 800m time for a North Dakota female: (Christine Schmaltz: 2:01.17 in 2011)

She will destroy that time soon IMHO.

IzzyFlexion
04-25-2013, 10:32 AM
She will destroy that time soon IMHO.

When you say "destroy" are you thinking sub 2:00?

westnodak93bison
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
When you say "destroy" are you thinking sub 2:00?

Yeah. She has it in her.

Castor Troy
04-25-2013, 03:43 PM
I don't doubt she can run in the 1:56+ range. On a side note, ever look at the world record holder? Jarmila looks more like a lumber jack from OR that a gal. Yuck.

This is a very good point. The world's best 800 runners look much different than the folks above 2:00.

This is Caster Semenya. She actually had to undergo tests to prove she's female.

Jelo
05-04-2013, 02:03 AM
Interesting article from The Oregonian on her Mt Sac race and progression while at Oregon "Big step forward for Oregon's Laura Roesler as the track & field season gets serious"
"There are things she does in workouts that are far superior to times she has run in races," Johnson said. "Sometimes I'm shocked, in awe."

Sounds like a lot of her break through is gaining confidence she belongs at the top level of competition.

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield/index.ssf/2013/05/big_step_forward_for_oregons_l.html#incart_flyout_ sports

westnodak93bison
05-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Should be an interesting finish to the season.

westnodak93bison
05-06-2013, 02:51 PM
http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/index.php/special-articles/1462

Looks like Laura got bested by a gal from LSU.

Buffalo.Rider
05-06-2013, 05:32 PM
The gal from LSU, Natoya Goule (LSU), has run a faster time, but my understanding is that she is not from the United States. So Laura Roesler still has the best time in college for women from the U.S.

I would add, that the Oregon Live article above (posted by jelo) is saying what i have been saying on this post for some time now ... she has had confidence problems ... the mental part of her race has not yet been there at Oregon. If she gets her confidence, determination, and rebellious attitude in full bloom by the NCAAs' she will beat Goule. I don't think anyone has more physical ability than Roesler in teh 800m.

Jelo
05-11-2013, 08:55 PM
http://registerguard.com/rg/sports/29847584-81/roesler-800-laura-field-johnson.html.csp

2-minute mania: Oregon’s Laura Roesler becomes an elite half-miler

Junior Laura Roesler guns for another Pac-12 title in the 800