PDA

View Full Version : North Dakota's Top Sports Moment!

ndsubison1
04-30-2012, 04:30 AM
Vote! NDSU winning FCS title and NDSU womens bball are among the choices:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/_/id/4742/great-state-debate-north-dakota

North Side
04-30-2012, 04:58 AM
Man, I dont know what to vote for!! But ended up going for 9 NC in football.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 05:01 AM
whatta cool list......

ndsubison1
04-30-2012, 05:11 AM
def. voting for brian voss winning the pro bowlers national title

DjKyRo
04-30-2012, 05:28 AM
Nice find Ming! Voted for the natty. Biggest win on the biggest stage a North Dakota college team has yet played on.

stevdock
04-30-2012, 05:41 AM
Many people across the country still view Roger Maris as the Home Run king. To say that he is from North Dakota is pretty cool. I loved this last national championship run and am proud of the ones in the past but the top sports moment in the state to me is still Roger Maris.

HoopsBison
04-30-2012, 05:54 AM
Many people across the country still view Roger Maris as the Home Run king. To say that he is from North Dakota is pretty cool. I loved this last national championship run and am proud of the ones in the past but the top sports moment in the state to me is still Roger Maris.

Agree with this.

tony
04-30-2012, 01:02 PM
I'd vote for Maris from that list. Most of the stuff doesn't belong there.

That said, North Dakota's biggest sports moment was, by far, the announcement of NDSU going DI. That changed everything in state athletics (and is stilling changing stuff today.)

KSBisonFan
04-30-2012, 01:08 PM
Good find. I'd say Maris because he is still talked about today as a 'legitimate' home run king. Virgil Hill was huge during his Olympic run and he won over everyone in ND because he would waive the ND state flag during his fights. NDSU national championship would be right up there.

NorthernBison
04-30-2012, 01:12 PM
Maris has to be #1. He accomplished something that took a third of a century to surpass.

Erstad as the #1 overall pick is something that is likely to never be repeated. Think about it. A ND Native picked #1 overall in a professional team sport. Won't happen again.

TheBisonator
04-30-2012, 01:25 PM
I voted for Chipper #9, but now I agree with others, I should've voted for Maris.

Hambone
04-30-2012, 01:53 PM
Went with Maris as well.

NDSUBowler
04-30-2012, 03:50 PM
def. voting for brian voss winning the pro bowlers national title
Don't be hatin'!

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 03:55 PM
Why isn't Phil Jackson on this list? I know he was born in Montana, but he went to high school and college in ND.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Why isn't Phil Jackson on this list? I know he was born in Montana, but he went to high school and college in ND.

?

the same reason jeff boschee isn't on the list.

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 07:17 PM
?

the same reason jeff boschee isn't on the list.
First of all, you're really comparing Jeff Boschee to Phil Jackson? Second, what is the reason - because it's basketball?

aces1180
04-30-2012, 07:20 PM
I wish they would have included UND being put on the NCAA sanctions list...I would have voted for that.

aces1180
04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

If you look at Montana's list, he is there.

Hammerhead
04-30-2012, 07:27 PM
I thought about Maris, but picked 9 titles since they involved teams that play in North Dakota.

Who put UNDerwear's 1st D-II title up there and not NDSU's 1st title along with their 9th title. :-)

My choice would have been Women's D-II basketball with both schools combining for 7 consecutive national titles and 8 out of 9 years with NDSU winning 4 in a row and 5 out of 6 years.

56BISON73
04-30-2012, 07:28 PM
Lute Olson winning the big dance.

tony
04-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Lute Olson winning the big dance.

Maybe for Arizona. I mean, it's a great achievement but Class B basketball tourneys are bigger deals than that every single year and they've had some great moments.

That's why Maris should win: Him hitting that last HR was one of the classic moments in sports history.

Most of the stuff on there is nonsensical. Smail? Wasn't he a character in Caddyshack? NDSU's 9th championship? What about the other 8? Maybe if it was phrased as Pike intercepting the pass to seal NDSU's first DI championship. The two UND football football things are ridiculous unless you view them as being completely outclassed by NDSU as in "Most amazing Lowe family achievement? How about that time in 2001 when Chad Lowe slept with a hot woman?" Must have a UND kid interning at SI or something.

Better moments:
Epping v Hillsboro ending
Woodside sinking the running jumper to send NDSU to the first Big Dance for any college from the state of North Dakota.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 07:49 PM
First of all, you're really comparing Jeff Boschee to Phil Jackson? Second, what is the reason - because it's basketball?

What did phil jackson do in north dakota? at least boschee went to a.prestige bball school. Like i said...neither should be on the list.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

56BISON73
04-30-2012, 07:53 PM
Maybe for Arizona. I mean, it's a great achievement but Class B basketball tourneys are bigger deals than that every single year.

I misunderstood the poll. There is a difference between moment and accomplishment.

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 07:57 PM
What did phil jackson do in north dakota? at least boschee went to a.prestige bball school. Like i said...neither should be on the list.

What did Maris, Lute Olson, Virgil Hill, or Darin Erstad do IN North Dakota? Phil jackson has more NBA championships than any other coach in the history of the NBA... I see that he is on the Montana page. I'll accept that, but using the fact that he didn't accomplish much IN North Dakota isn't a good excuse. Half of the things on that list didn't happen IN North Dakota.

tony
04-30-2012, 08:01 PM
What did Maris do IN North Dakota? Phil jackson has more NBA championships than any other coach in the history of the NBA.

Maris was a North Dakotan though. Phil Jackson was not.

UND and Roger Thomas holding a press conference to pull the plug on NDSU v UND was a pretty big moment too.

NorthernBison
04-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Any North Dakotan who accomplishes something big on a National or International stage, creates an important "moment" for the State.

That's why Maris, Olson, Erstad, Jackson, etc are part of the poll. I see no problem with that.

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Maris was a North Dakotan though. Phil Jackson was not.
I guess that makes sense. Most of what I have ever heard on Phil Jackson was that he was from North Dakota, so that's why I assumed it would be listed on the North Dakota page. Makes sense that it's on the Montana page I guess. They were probably struggling to find things to list for MT, so ND decided to let them have that one. Haha.

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 08:09 PM

Using this logic, half of that list wouldn't count. Also, NDSU didn't win the national championship IN North Dakota, so that shouldn't be included either.

aces1180
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
What did Maris, Lute Olson, Virgil Hill, or Darin Erstad do IN North Dakota? Phil jackson has more NBA championships than any other coach in the history of the NBA... I see that he is on the Montana page. I'll accept that, but using the fact that he didn't accomplish much IN North Dakota isn't a good excuse. Half of the things on that list didn't happen IN North Dakota.

FYI - Virgil Hill defended the WBA Light Heavyweight Championship at the Bismarck Civic Center at least a half a dozen times, packing the place to the rafters for pretty much every fight. In addition, many of those bouts were broadcast to a national audience on PPV or ABC's Wide World of Sports.

tony
04-30-2012, 08:10 PM
Oops, sorry, Phil Jackson is a North Dakotan since he grew up in Williston.

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 08:15 PM
FYI - Virgil Hill defended the WBA Light Heavyweight Championship at the Bismarck Civic Center at least a half a dozen times, packing the place to the rafters for pretty much every fight. In addition, many of those bouts were broadcast to a national audience on PPV or ABC's Wide World of Sports.
My bad. I was wrong to include him, but the rest still make sense. Just to be clear, I think most of them should be on the list. I was just responding to an earlier post that said Phil Jackson shouldn't be included because he didn't do anything IN North Dakota. Personally, I think ND gave MT the Phil Jackson thing even though he grew up in ND (he was born in Montana) because Montana was struggling to find stuff. :)

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 08:16 PM
How do people stick up for roger maris bein north dakotan when hes from hibbing, mn?

Twentysix
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
I have disowned all of you.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 08:17 PM
Using this logic, half of that list wouldn't count. Also, NDSU didn't win the national championship IN North Dakota, so that shouldn't be included either.

Yep.

Sucks. Sooo whats left in north dakota?? Haha

bisonboone11
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
Yep.

Haha... Touche.

Twentysix
04-30-2012, 08:21 PM
Yep.

Posse Comitatus derp.

MNLonghorn10
04-30-2012, 08:23 PM
Wiz khalifia, phil hansen and joel heitkamp

ndsubison1
04-30-2012, 08:24 PM

it doesnt matter if it happened in ND as long as they are associated with the state. according to espn

BadlandsBison
04-30-2012, 08:35 PM
All of ND's nuclear weapons help fuel america's sports rivalry with the USSR. We deserve a share of the miracle on ice.

SamsRams
04-30-2012, 09:55 PM
If we are gonna give Lute some props, why not Dale Brown getting Shaq to commit to LSU/17 consecutive winning season in the SEC

NorthernBison
04-30-2012, 10:32 PM
If we are gonna give Lute some props, why not Dale Brown getting Shaq to commit to LSU/17 consecutive winning season in the SEC

I thought the same thing. I remember the story coming out that Dale told Shaq to go to the NBA rather than trying to keep him in school. Unselfish.

CaBisonFan
04-30-2012, 10:54 PM

Some call him the greatest basketball coach ever. Not sure that I agree...but when people from around the country say this, then I guess he's done ok.

IzzyFlexion
04-30-2012, 11:19 PM
Woodside's 60 point game got quite alot of coverage.

CaBisonFan
04-30-2012, 11:25 PM
Woodside's 60 point game got quite alot of coverage.

Speaking of Woodside...the win at Wisconsin was pretty good. Not saying it belongs on the list. And the Big Dance game would be right in there.

The UND championship in football doesn't belong there. Events from some of their hockey history do belong.

CalBison97
05-01-2012, 12:58 AM
The more I think about it, the more I understand the logic behind it. UND's Football Championship is on that list because it was not only their 1st, but last (at least until the majority of the current FCS powerhouses are replaced by the DII schools).

CHADSTAUS
05-01-2012, 01:54 AM
Went with Maris. To me is STILL the single season home run record holder. I couldnt imagine the pressure the last 30 days. Very tough pick!

heffray
05-01-2012, 02:02 AM
Speaking of Woodside...the win at Wisconsin was pretty good. Not saying it belongs on the list. And the Big Dance game would be right in there.

The UND championship in football doesn't belong there. Events from some of their hockey history do belong.

This is just simply incorrect.

mhyer63
05-01-2012, 11:17 PM
Vote! NDSU winning FCS title and NDSU womens bball are among the choices:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/poll/_/id/4742/great-state-debate-north-dakota

Those are not sports moments, they are sports seasons or whole games. Most spectacular/greatest sports moment, hands down " the pitch ".

tony
05-01-2012, 11:21 PM
Those are not sports moments, they are sports seasons or whole games. Most spectacular/greatest sports moment, hands down " the pitch ".

BOOM! He's right.

westnodak93bison
05-04-2012, 09:53 PM
Did anyone mention the girls 400m Laura Roesler vs. Morgan Milbrath?

56BISON73
05-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Amy Anderson leading the US open.

CaBisonFan
05-04-2012, 11:20 PM
This is just simply incorrect.

What isn't correct?

IzzyFlexion
05-05-2012, 12:03 AM
Amy Anderson leading the US open.

that's a good one.

perthbison
05-05-2012, 03:39 AM
Maris has to be #1. He accomplished something that took a third of a century to surpass.

I'll agree with Maris as #1 but he hasn't been surpassed. The Babe set the record when most black players weren't allowed in the majors thereby eliminating much pitching talent and Maris's record was broken only with the benefit of steroids.

344Johnson
05-05-2012, 04:50 AM
All of ND's nuclear weapons help fuel america's sports rivalry with the USSR. We deserve a share of the miracle on ice.

A share? I say the whole damn thing.

IzzyFlexion
05-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I believe that Rick Helling is the only North Dakotan to be a 20 game winner in Major League Baseball.
I wouldn't vote it number one, but noteworthy.

CaBisonFan
05-06-2012, 05:38 AM
I believe that Rick Helling is the only North Dakotan to be a 20 game winner in Major League Baseball.
I wouldn't vote it number one, but noteworthy.

Travis Hafner has done well too.

344Johnson
05-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Travis Hafner has done well too.

20 game winners are rare.

A1pigskin
05-07-2012, 12:46 AM
Any one of these could be first; Womens Bball, Maris, or Erstad.

HerdBot
05-07-2012, 03:23 AM
I'll agree with Maris as #1 but he hasn't been surpassed. The Babe set the record when most black players weren't allowed in the majors thereby eliminating much pitching talent and Maris's record was broken only with the benefit of steroids.

Actually there are still very few black players. Now if you add dominican or Japanese I will agree.

BadlandsBison
05-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Actually there are still very few black players. Now if you add dominican or Japanese I will agree.

Everyone played baseball back then, though. Just guess, but the best American athletes probably played baseball. Another guess is that probably isn't the case today. Thread drift ...

56BISON73
05-07-2012, 04:24 AM
Everyone played baseball back then, though. Just guess, but the best American athletes probably played baseball. Another guess is that probably isn't the case today. Thread drift ...

Basketball and Football have become much more popular. Even at its peak I think teams were only 20-27% black. And that was some time ago.

ndsubison1
05-07-2012, 04:59 AM

yeah that too. most of the black players are outstanding though. kemp, howard, mccutchen, price, uptons, granderson, sabathia, etc

BadlandsBison
05-07-2012, 04:05 PM
yeah that too. most of the black players are outstanding though. kemp, howard, mccutchen, price, uptons, granderson, sabathia, etc

Don't forget about delmond young and darius rucker.

Hammerhead
06-17-2012, 08:41 PM
The winner was the 2012 championship football game. They noted it was our 9th championship but didn't mention it was the first FCS trophy. 2nd place was 61 in '61.

HerdBot
06-17-2012, 11:35 PM
The winner was the 2012 championship football game. They noted it was our 9th championship but didn't mention it was the first FCS trophy. 2nd place was 61 in '61.

I thought people only care about hockey in North Dakota? Where were the millions of Sioux fans votes?

BisonTeacher
06-18-2012, 02:21 AM
I thought people only care about hockey in North Dakota? Where were the millions of Sioux fans votes?

From what i heard they got outvoted last week too.